PDA

View Full Version : Remaining Eagles honor Glenn Frey at the Grammy Awards

Pages : [1] 2

AlreadyGone95
02-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Don't know where to put this at, so if it needs moving.

Don, Joe, Tim, Bernie and Jackson Browne will all play Take It Easy in honor of Glenn at the Grammy Awards on Monday February 15th.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-eagles-glenn-frey-tribute-grammy-awards-don-henley-20160209-story.html

buffyfan145
02-10-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm so happy about this!!! :D It's going to be such a great tribute and better than I thought as I was thinking other singers would do it like how the David Bowie and B.B. King tributes will be. Love that Bernie and Jackson are playing with Don, Joe, and Timothy too. I'm going to be in tears but it's going to be great.

Brooke
02-10-2016, 10:18 AM
This is awesome news! I don't know how they can handle it, but I'm sure they will be great! :heart:

EaglesCN
02-10-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm so happy about this.If possible,I hope the eagles can go on.

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 10:33 AM
This is just right. It keeps the focus on Glenn rather than whoever else might have sung the tribute. Including Bernie and Jackson and choosing "Take It Easy" takes it back to "where it all began".

wasl89
02-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Really good news, can't wait to see it. So nice to hear who's going to honor Glenn, it couldn't be nobody else in my opinion! Incredible to see that they’ll play ‘Take It Easy’, it’s going to bring some tears (but that’s worth it)…

timfan
02-10-2016, 10:45 AM
I could not be more ecstatic about this! I was planning to watch the show anyway as the "grammy people" had already mentioned a tribute to Glenn of some sorts but now you won't be able to tear me away! THIS IS SOOO AWESOME

DivineDon
02-10-2016, 11:13 AM
This is great. The guys themselves said they didn't really want anyone else to do the tribute. I have such respect for them 'cos it's going to be hugely emotional but I'm sure Glenn would have done the same for any of them. Really cool that Bernie will be with them and only Jackson could have taken the lead on Take it Easy.

LuvTim
02-10-2016, 11:15 AM
I could not be more ecstatic about this! I was planning to watch the show anyway as the "grammy people" had already mentioned a tribute to Glenn of some sorts but now you won't be able to tear me away! THIS IS SOOO AWESOME

TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!! SO AWESOME!!!! I can't wait!

Sigh....

At the same time, it makes me want to weep. :sad:

shunlvswx
02-10-2016, 11:21 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing this. I wasn't even going to watch the Grammys, but I wanted to see David Bowie's tribute and now Glenn's. I guess the Grammys do care a little.

Its going to be sad and bittersweet since we don't know this will be the last time we will see the guys together if they don't do the KCH in December. I'm guessing Jackson will probably sing the lead. I wonder if Don will play drums or be up front with everybody. I don't think I've ever seen Don not playing drums on Take It Easy.

I wonder if Joe was going to be at the Grammys anyway because that Hollywood Vampire was going to be pay tribute to Lemmy and Joe was part of that CD.

SilverAcidRayne
02-10-2016, 11:54 AM
I was just about to post this. I saw this from billboard

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6874044/glenn-frey-grammy-tribute-eagles-jackson-browne

SilverAcidRayne
02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this. I wasn't even going to watch the Grammys, but I wanted to see David Bowie's tribute and now Glenn's. I guess the Grammys do care a little.

Its going to be sad and bittersweet since we don't know this will be the last time we will see the guys together if they don't do the KCH in December. I'm guessing Jackson will probably sing the lead. I wonder if Don will play drums or be up front with everybody. I don't think I've ever seen Don not playing drums on Take It Easy.

I wonder if Joe was going to be at the Grammys anyway because that Hollywood Vampire was going to be pay tribute to Lemmy and Joe was part of that CD.

me either. I never watch the grammys... but I will just for Glenn. man I'm so upset all over again

L101
02-10-2016, 12:35 PM
I'm so glad that it's the band themselves are doing this tribute, that's the way it should be!
I haven't watched the Grammys in years but I'll be watching this one. Its just too sad that this is when they finally play at the Grammys :sad:

Ive always been a dreamer
02-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Yeah - I am so glad that the guys are doing the tribute, even though it's going to be really hard to see them take the stage for the first time without Glenn. I can just imagine how emotional it will be for them.

SilverAcidRayne
02-10-2016, 12:44 PM
gonna be very awkward. wow.

AlreadyGone95
02-10-2016, 12:55 PM
I just now saw that the Times got Glenn's death date wrong. They put the 17th.

I can't imagine what it'll be like for the 4 Eagles to take to the stage without their leader, especially to play the song that they chose. Irving talked about it that in the article. I imagine that all of the guys feel this way.

Asked whether the band’s surviving members felt that performing at the Grammy show barely a month after Frey’s death would be difficult emotionally, Azoff said, “The time is never right. But at some point, you just put one foot in front of the other and go for it.”

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 12:56 PM
They are professionals and they'll have a rehearsal or two to get used to it.

Tori
02-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Lovely, lovely news. I think it'll be a great tribute; it's going to be very bittersweet for me personally, but I love the idea and am very much looking forward to it. :heart:

lifeinthefastlane
02-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Rolling Stone posted an article about the tribute, and it includes a photo of Glenn that I don't recall ever seeing before!
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-members-jackson-browne-uniting-for-glenn-frey-grammy-tribute-20160210

AlreadyGone95
02-10-2016, 01:35 PM
I've never seen that photo either!

Outlawman13
02-10-2016, 01:53 PM
OHH this is going to be awesome!! Def saving this date!! Be weird seeing them without Glenn though!! I know I'm going to be tearing up when I see this for sure!! Love that picture too on that site!!

Victim of Love
02-10-2016, 01:59 PM
I can't think of a more fitting way to pay homage to Glenn than what is planned for Monday night. It seems they all agreed that doing it themselves is the ONLY way to honor him and the inclusion of Jackson and the choice of TIE is most appropriate. Yes, it will surely be emotional for everyone, but I think anything less would have been a bit of a let-down. Nobody can do it like they do and Glenn's presence will be felt.

OntheBorder74
02-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Its probably his most important song so it will be great to introduce Glenn to new generations, I also like they are 'keeping it in the family' makes sense for a tribute to a band that was so divided and divided so many people that the people who really cared about Glenn do it. It would be great if it Randy would be there, probably Jackson doing the lead, makes sense. This is the best possible way to do a tribute to him so soon and at a Grammys that will be packed with tributes.

Prettymaid
02-10-2016, 04:09 PM
Oh boy oh boy oh boy...this is going to be hard to watch.

02-10-2016, 04:26 PM
It just occurred to me that this announcement was made on the anniversary of How Long winning a Grammy in 2008. The band's final Grammy for I Dreamed There Was No War was awarded on February 8, 2009. :weep:

Freypower
02-10-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm pleased they are doing it but I cannot agree that it will be 'awesome' or any other such words.

I hadn't seen that photo either. I think the best word I can use is 'ironic'. Looking at it again however it may be have been taken at the time Solo Collection was released as he is sitting in a similar chair.

Unfortunately if you look at the comments below the RS article the usual, oh so predictable complaints start to surface.

cheryl
02-10-2016, 04:53 PM
I know I will be watching. Will be hard to watch with tears in my eyes.

Brooke
02-10-2016, 05:32 PM
It will be hard to watch, but a must watch for me. I'm sure the tears will flow. :weep:

AlreadyGone95
02-10-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm sure that I'll be crying as well. It'll be great to see the tribute, but to not see Glenn out there singing that song... :weep:

Glennhoney
02-10-2016, 06:38 PM
It will be hard to watch, but a must watch for me. I'm sure the tears will flow. :weep:

..definately...

MaryCalifornia
02-10-2016, 09:59 PM
I wonder if Steuart and the guys will be there too, or will it be stripped down?

sodascouts
02-10-2016, 10:41 PM
It's only right that they honor him. It will indeed be hard to watch.

TimFan222
02-10-2016, 11:41 PM
I think this is exactly the right way to honor Glenn. These guys wil be honored to pay this tribute to their friend. We can be proud of them all!!!

NOLA
02-11-2016, 12:32 AM
Really looking forward to this, although as others have already said, it will be heart-wrenching, indeed. However, I feel that Glenn will be watching, too.😊

wasl89
02-11-2016, 03:06 AM
... and only Jackson could have taken the lead on Take it Easy.

Totally true!

Jonny Come Lately
02-11-2016, 04:49 AM
It will be very strange and extremely sad watching them perform without Glenn, but I'm glad that they are doing this, it's a perfect tribute and I think they couldn't have made a better choice than Jackson for this song. I had no intention of watching the Grammys (not my sort of thing), but I will make sure I see this performance.

MC, I have no claims to insider knowledge but my guess would be that there would be a couple of backing musicians but no more than that, and it wouldn't surprise me too much if it was just the main players, as TIE is well suited to a 4- or 5-piece band. The musicians involved in performances of the song on the last tour may give some indication, but bear in mind that Jackson will be there so my guess is he'd either play acoustic guitar or piano, as will Bernie who was not part of the tours prior to HOTE. Also, given that Don usually plays drums on TIE I'm not sure if Scott Crago needs to play, and the song does not need a string section, so it would probably only be a couple of additional guitars or keyboards in the background.

UndertheWire
02-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Just noting an event that takes place on the Sunday.

Clive Davis' pre-Grammy gala (sponsored by the Recording Academy and this year honoring manager Irving Azoff with its Salute to Industry Icons Award)

1EyedWick
02-11-2016, 04:37 PM
So will they be performing as "The Eagles"...a new line-up? Will they announce that they are breaking up?

Freypower
02-11-2016, 05:00 PM
So will they be performing as "The Eagles"...a new line-up? Will they announce that they are breaking up?

It is a tribute to Glenn Frey. Can't we leave it at that?

UndertheWire
02-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Eagles founding singer, songwriter and guitarist Glenn Frey (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/music/glenn-frey-PECLB001812-topic.html) will be saluted during Monday’s 58th Grammy Awards (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/music/grammy-awards-EVHST000012-topic.html) ceremony by his bandmates as well as close friend and songwriting collaborator Jackson Browne.
Don Henley (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/music/don-henley-PECLB002338-topic.html), Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit and Bernie Leadon will join Browne to sing the Eagles’ first national hit, “Take It Easy,” the anthem of Southern California country rock that put the band on the map in 1972.
It's that simple.

Tori
02-11-2016, 05:53 PM
It's the remaining members of the Eagles [plus Jackson Browne]. Which is a sad phrase in itself, but that's what it is.

maryc2130
02-11-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm so glad it's his band-mates and Jackson who are doing the Grammies tribute. Yes, in some ways it will hard to watch, and probably hard for those guys to perform, but I think it will be a great way to honor Glenn!

zeldabjr
02-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I am so proud of the guys for wanting to do this themselves for their fearless leader...It will no doubt be very difficult for them...and for us...but it says a lot about how they feel about Glenn...and it says a lot about the kind of guys they are...

shunlvswx
02-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Usually when the awards show are going on, I usually follow what my friends say about the show on Facebook. Sometime I watch and sometimes I don't. There's always an artist or two I want to see their performance and its usually the older artist

I always get the play by play about all the performers on facebook. Its going to be interesting to see what my friends (who are my age who probably don't know who Glenn or David is) will say about Glenn's and David's tribute. I remembered one year when the Who sang during the Halftime show, they didn't like them especially when Roger started playing the harmonica. LOL

WalshFan88
02-11-2016, 11:47 PM
This will be very hard for me to watch but I must.

How fitting that Jackson is singing TIE.

tjh532
02-12-2016, 03:03 AM
Glad to see they are doing this. I'm sure it will be a fitting tribute to Glenn.

It will be the first time I've watched the Grammys in quite awhile.

Nash71
02-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Great news!! Looking forward to this.

UndertheWire
02-12-2016, 05:15 PM
There will be live online coverage of red carpet and behind the scenes but I'm guessing not the show. I don't expect Henley & co to put themselves forward for any of this, but here's the link:
http://live.grammy.com/

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Just dusting this thread off for tonight.

I'm feeling very emotional today in anticipation of tonight's performance. Have you ever wanted something and not wanted it at the same time?

Tori
02-15-2016, 01:33 PM
I know that feeling, Prettymaid!

I just remembered that I have a night class that goes til 7:45PM, when the Grammys start at 7 here in my neck of the woods. Usually they save the in memoriam things towards the end of the show, but still, hopefully I get out in time to see Glenn's tribute.

shunlvswx
02-15-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm looking forward to the Grammys. Seeing David's, Glenn's, Maurice's and BB's tribute. The Grammys would probably be more a tribute show than a regular show which is fine with me. New generations need to see what is good music.

AlreadyGone95
02-15-2016, 01:44 PM
I'll be at my uncle's to watch the Grammys. He's recording it because of all of the tributes to the greats we lost this past year. I'm glad that the guys are doing this, but at the same time, it'll be hard to watch.

02-15-2016, 02:07 PM

I'm feeling very emotional today in anticipation of tonight's performance. Have you ever wanted something and not wanted it at the same time?

Very much so, PM, very much so!

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 02:46 PM
This is interesting because if you scroll down you can watch the Eagles' version of TIE vs. Jackson Browne's version.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/entertainment/glenn-frey-eagles-jackson-browne-grammys-feat/

NightMistBlue
02-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Roger Friedman mentions the pre-Grammy Irving Azoff tribute in his column today:

NARAS president Neil Portnow gave famed manager Irving Azoff the Icon Award and Irving– feared by many– almost started crying when he talked about Glenn Frey of the Eagles, his great friend who just died.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/02/15/carly-simon-surprise-appearance-one-of-many-hits-at-clive-daviss-star-studded-pre-grammy-party

02-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the link, PM. Here are a couple of quotes from the CNN article from the show's producer and the Recording Academy's CEO ...

We couldn't think of a more appropriate way to honor him than by bringing together his bandmates and longtime friend and collaborator, Jackson Browne, to play an Eagles classic that forever changed popular music. It'll be an emotional moment for many of us -- one of reflection, respect, and celebration.

Glenn Frey's untimely passing was a huge loss for the entire creative community. For more than 45 years, the Eagles have played a significant role in shaping our musical landscape.

My thoughts are with Don, Joe, Timothy, Bernie and Jackson tonight - I can't imagine what an emotional roller coaster this must be for them. I know they will do Glenn proud.

Just reading NMB's post about Irving almost losing it almost made me lose it.

AlreadyGone95
02-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Nice to see that Joe was there at the pre-Grammy party.

I can't imagine what the 5 guys are going through right now, all of the different emotions they feel. I believe that all of the other tributes are being done by other artists, so that makes Glenn's tribute even more special.

buffyfan145
02-15-2016, 05:09 PM
I feel the same way. I am excited though for my current favorite artists that are performing and/or nominated, but this is already having me emotional today. I'm looking forward to the other tributes as well. I did see Earth, Wind, and Fire are going to perform tonight as well for Maurice White similar to how the other Eagles are for Glenn.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 07:13 PM
2 hours until it airs and I'm already emotional. I've been thinking about it all day. This is going to be difficult for all of us, obviously, but I can only imagine what it's going to be like for his bandmates and family.

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 07:20 PM
I've been thinking about it all day, too. I'm wearing my Eagles t-shirt in support of their performance.

NYC Fan
02-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks to all for the links. Some very nice articles.

It's going to be very strange and sad not to see Glenn on the stage tonight. I'm sure it will be so hard for them all, but what a lovely tribute to Glenn. I know it will be very hard to watch, but I am looking forward to it nonetheless.

WalshFan88
02-15-2016, 07:49 PM

I know what you mean.

It's like confirming it for real, even though it's already been very real. But seeing the band up there without Glenn will hit it home for me.

shunlvswx
02-15-2016, 07:54 PM
I'm watching the Red Carpet on Grammys.com just to see if the guys will pop up.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Me too but I highly doubt they will. I'm actually watching the Red Carpet show on CBS and honestly, watching the pre-show is kind of jarring. I'm thinking of tonight as something that's going to be terribly emotional and there's all these people laughing and smiling and joking around, talking about how exciting this night is going to be. Of course they're excited, it WILL be a wonderful night for those people, but "excited" is not the word I'd use for how I feel. I might turn the pre-show off.

Victim of Love
02-15-2016, 08:14 PM
I don't expect to see them on the Red Carpet and, in fact, I seriously doubt they'll be in the audience. We may see Jackson among the faces in the seats, but not the others.

shunlvswx
02-15-2016, 08:25 PM
I agree. We might not see them on the Red Carpet. Joe has been on the Red Carpet before so I wouldn't be surprise if he does.

AlreadyGone95
02-15-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm not able to watch the Red Carpet show. My local CBS station is showing the usual Jeopardy episode, even though the guide ahows the Red Carpet show. :?. Maybe at 7:30 they won't air Wheel of Fortune.

ETA: nope. Wheel of Fortune is on.

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Here's a strange take on the tributes being done tonight. Nice photo of Glenn, though.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/644131/Grammys-Oscars-race-row-David-Bowie-Glenn-Frey-Eagles-tribute

Outlawman13
02-15-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm for sure going to watch it tonight, but with a very heavy heart!! I honestly can't bear the thought of not having Glenn there!!! Wow, hot pic of Glenn on that article!

sad-cafe
02-15-2016, 08:39 PM
do we know what time in the show this will be?

I really don't want to watch Taylor Swift or Kanye or a lot of crap that passes for music these days.

I guess I just live in the Classic Rock world

Give me Eagles, Doobies, Def Leppard, Journey, Boston and the like over what passes for music today

WalshFan88
02-15-2016, 08:47 PM
do we know what time in the show this will be?

I really don't want to watch Taylor Swift or Kanye or a lot of crap that passes for music these days.

I guess I just live in the Classic Rock world

Give me Eagles, Doobies, Def Leppard, Journey, Boston and the like over what passes for music today

Not specifically for the tribute, just that the Grammys start at 7pm central time. I agree with the sentiment on modern music (pop).

sad-cafe
02-15-2016, 08:48 PM
I will be watching and recording it

side note...

can't believe its almost been a month

LuvTim
02-15-2016, 08:52 PM
I'm anticipating an emotional response as well. I think it's only right that a tribute is done, it's just that it's going to bring the reality to a sharp point. :cry:

I'm going to keep my Border page open and with me. We can all be together in that way.

SallyGee
02-15-2016, 08:54 PM
I have been in a very strange mood today. I was off from work, so I should have been in a good mood. I was very restless all day. Really didn't do anything. I had no appetite. Couldn't concentrate on anything. I think seeing the guys tonight is going to make this real. So final somehow. I know it's been almost a month, but I think this is going to hurt all over again. I am really dreading it. Kind of like going to a funeral. But I feel like the guys are doing this not just for Glenn, but for all the fans. The first time I am not looking forward to seeing the Eagles or Jackson. The world is upside down.

sad-cafe
02-15-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm anticipating an emotional response as well. I think it's only right that a tribute is done, it's just that it's going to bring the reality to a sharp point. :cry:

I'm going to keep my Border page open and with me. We can all be together in that way.

Me too-keeping The Border open tonight

LuvTim
02-15-2016, 08:57 PM
I have been in a very strange mood today. I was off from work, so I should have been in a good mood. I was very restless all day. Really didn't do anything. I had no appetite. Couldn't concentrate on anything. I think seeing the guys tonight is going to make this real. So final somehow. I know it's been almost a month, but I think this is going to hurt all over again. I am really dreading it. Kind of like going to a funeral. But I feel like the guys are doing this not just for Glenn, but for all the fans. The first time I am not looking forward to seeing the Eagles or Jackson. The world is upside down.

You've given voice to the situation quite well, SG. The world does indeed feel upside down.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 09:12 PM
I'm keeping the Border open too. And I sure hope it's on early in the show, but I fear it will be in the latter half.

You know, the Eagles never played the Grammys, did they? They didn't show up for their award back in the day. What a shame that it's only now...

But I'm SO glad they're doing the tribute themselves with Jackson, and not some modern singer getting out there and belting out "Hotel California".

ETA: Just had to call the webhost to get more bandwidth because the site crashed due to traffic. We're not the only ones coming here tonight. It should be OK now, though.

02-15-2016, 09:20 PM
They just went to a commercial break and announced the Eagles were coming up, so it may be early on after all. That would be nice!

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
They just played a brief clip from the rehearsal earlier today. All I saw was Jackson and Don behind the drums. I imagine they'll play it a couple more times before commercial breaks to keep people coming back. The Eagles are worth more than all the rest of these acts combined.

I hope dreamer is right, though, and this means they're coming up soon rather than coming up eventually.

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Sounds like it might be coming up sooner than later.

GlennLover
02-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Just saw & heard that the Eagles (among others) were coming up, but they said Justin Beiber was "later" so maybe they will be on fairly early.

shunlvswx
02-15-2016, 09:23 PM
I saw that. I didn't know it was a rehearsal clip. So Don will be on the drums like he always is on Take It Easy.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 09:24 PM
An early performance would be infinitely preferable to sitting through this entire thing. I hope you guys are right!

02-15-2016, 09:27 PM
Well in TV land, 'coming up' could still be a while but I would hope it would mean within the next 30 minutes.

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 09:30 PM
This thing is 3 1/2 hours long. And it looks like they're going to commercial us to death.

Momma Tee
02-15-2016, 09:31 PM
My heart hurts already just seeing the preview clip! The harsh dose of reality that's coming sure is going to hurt! I don't want to face the reality that he really is gone! We were truly blessed to have experienced that perfect harmony! Broken-hearted in Florida! :'{

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 09:32 PM
This thing is 3 1/2 hours long. And it looks like they're going to commercial us to death.

Seriously. After the last set of commercials ended, they had ONE musical performance which was, what, 5 minutes? Then they cut to commercial break AGAIN. These breaks, of course, last several minutes... Ludicrous.

And Momma Tee - I know what you mean.

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 09:45 PM
They showed them again. This is so surreal.

02-15-2016, 09:51 PM
Well - they didn't make the 30 minute mark as I predicted earlier - should we shoot for an hour?

TW
02-15-2016, 10:01 PM
i'm afraid it might be longer than that :( i'm assuming they might leave the tributes towards the end of the show but maybe not. we'll see...

shunlvswx
02-15-2016, 10:02 PM
They will be probably be on in this next hour. I want to see David Bowie's tribute too. So I probably will be watching the whole show which I'm not liking.

Momma Tee
02-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Eagles Fastlane FB page has pictures of the rehearsal. Don looks pure distraught and Jackson looks like he's just trying to get through it. Prayer for his family, friends and fans! :'''(

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 10:27 PM
They did their best but the Grammys didn't even give them enough time to say something.

I cried the entire time. I was hoping for some sense of closure from this but I don't think that's happening.

GlennLover
02-15-2016, 10:32 PM
It was too rushed. No intro or comments whatsoever. They didn't even mention Glenn's name, at least on camera.

GlennLover
02-15-2016, 10:35 PM
I don't think that I'll get any closure from that presentation by the Grammys.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 10:37 PM
Yes. I'm very disappointed too. It looked like Don was about to say something but hey, gotta cut to commercial, right?

That could be the last time that song is played by those men and it gets that kind of treatment?

LuvTim
02-15-2016, 10:37 PM
Deep, heavy sigh... :cry:

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 10:39 PM
Jackson flubbed the lyrics. Not that I hold it against him. He looked pained, as did Don Henley.

I wonder what Joe was saying during the performance. Did anyone else notice that?

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 10:40 PM
He hollered "Sing it!" a couple times, wanting the audience to help poor Jackson out. He was obviously struggling not to cry.

cheryl
02-15-2016, 10:40 PM
I think Jackson was really having a hard time finishing. Tribute was too short.

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 10:41 PM
He hollered "Sing it!" a couple times.

Joe did?

Momma Tee
02-15-2016, 10:42 PM
They all seemed to realize that this really IS The End. I have so much respect for their strength and courage to honor their dear friend even though they were clearly distraught. We all know that some of the voices have changed over the years. But, Glenn & Don have always been the foundation of their sound, and that can never be replaced! I hope he knows how much he is loved and dearly missed! What an impact he made on our hearts and his legacy will always live on! Thankful I was blessed to see them in concert and witness pure perfection in my lifetime! <3 :'(

sodascouts
Joe did?

Yes, Joe. At least, I thought it was Joe.... But I was crying, so maybe I heard wrong.

Yeah - I was hoping since Irving was honored, they would introduce him and then he would say a few words and then introduce the band. But, in a way, it was poignant and vintage Eagles, so maybe that's the way they want it.

I broke down as soon as the video of Glenn came on. It just felt so wrong even though I knew I wasn't going to feel good about it.

They all looked so solemn, and poor Don looked downright distraught.

sad-cafe
02-15-2016, 10:44 PM
It was too rushed. No intro or comments whatsoever. They didn't even mention Glenn's name, at least on camera.

I was so mad. That was horrible. All these punks get more introductions and they cut off part of Glenns speaking and then didn't even let them say anything.

Grr. I am so mad.

It looked like our Eagles had such a hard time getting through that. Every one of them looked like they were crying or had been crying.

Shadowland07
02-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Man that was rough, not performance but to see not Glenn there. I think Jackson choked up and that's why he flubbed the lyrics. The whole time I thought Jackson was going to break down, Timothy looked like he would, and Don just looked like he wasn't there. I do appreciate Joe's "sing it" comment and trying to bring everyone up. It was great seeing Bernie play the solo, if I remember correctly Joe's did it during the HOTE Tour. Overall I think it should've been longer, maybe another song or a medley but I'll take what I get. I'm just grateful to have seen them.

deb828
02-15-2016, 10:47 PM
Really sad to look at their faces and hear them sing that song, maybe one of the final times. Too short, but they did look distraught. Don left the stage momentarily as soon as the song ended.

Tori
02-15-2016, 10:50 PM
I enjoyed it, but I agree it did seem a little rushed. My heart aches so bad for them, especially Don and Jackson, who seemed like they were about to break down at any second (especially Jackson in this regard :(). Man, I really thought I was gonna cry, but I can't at this point. I'm just numb now, I guess.

Someone fly me out to LA... I was saying this on Twitter, but I need to give them all hugs immediately. :(

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 10:51 PM
This will probably be taken down soon, but if you want to watch it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztpfvP47KKA

shunlvswx
02-15-2016, 10:52 PM
I thought I heard somebody say something. I would be mad too. It would be nice if they had say something or maybe that's how they wanted it. We don't know. Don looked like he was kinda pissed back there.

Onto the guys. The guys looked great. Joe looked like he got his hair cut. Only Steuart was there from the backup band. Don got his hair dyed. It looks nice. Did Joe say something before the second verse. I thought I heard his voice. It was good to see Bernie even though I knew he was going to be there. It was weird to see Joe playing the acoustic guitar on Take It Easy when he's usually on electric guitar.

Other than that pathetic no intro to introduce the guys, it was a good performance. I kinda couldn't hear Don at all when he was harmonize and usually you can hear him on that song. I don't know if Jackson forgot the words or got choked up. I think he got choked up a few times. I started to cry a little when I saw Glenn pop up on my screen unexpected since I didn't know they were next.

The guys just looked soo sad, but they tried their best to get through the song. I just wanted to hug them.

I don't know if this will be the last time we will see the guys together, but I hope we have a better closer.

02-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Yeah - I'm not mad - just very sad. As I said before, I knew I wasn't going to have a good feeling about this, but I'm still glad they did it. It must have been excruiatingly difficult for them, so I'm guessing they didn't want to speak. Like I said, there could have been an introduction, but I guess it was their way of letting Glenn have the last word.

anne_m
02-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Watching the tribute made me so emotional =[ I'm so glad they were able to perform at the Grammys tonight for Glenn <3 Wish they could have done a few more songs though. Someone please bring them back on stage!!

GlennLover
02-15-2016, 10:56 PM
I just feel empty.

Tori
02-15-2016, 11:00 PM
I just feel empty.

Same... that's a good way to put it. I think I'm going to cry but then I don't. It's weird.

sodascouts
I just feel empty.

Me too, GL.

anne_m
Eagles Fastlane FB page has pictures of the rehearsal. Don looks pure distraught and Jackson looks like he's just trying to get through it. Prayer for his family, friends and fans! :'''(

Can you post the link to this FB page please? I would like to see more pictures of them =]

Roey
02-15-2016, 11:01 PM
It was too rushed but maybe that is all they can handle right now. It was heartwrenching to see their pain.

Outlawman13
02-15-2016, 11:02 PM
I feel very empty as well! Man if my parents weren't there watching it with me, I would've cried so hard! It did bring me to tears! I thought it was going to be a little longer than one song! I saw all of the band members and they did look super sad even Jackson! Poor men and their family! How I wish that Glenn was still here! I was actually hoping for a more of a tribute video and having the band play about 3 songs for Glenn!

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 11:04 PM
I knew they were just going to play Take It Easy but I really expected them to say a few words like Stevie Wonder did for that guy from Earth Wind and Fire... I blame the Grammys.

They did all look heartbroken and I actually was worried Jackson wasn't going to be able to get through the song.

anne_m
02-15-2016, 11:08 PM
I just feel empty.

My exact feeling. Wish there was closure.

SallyGee
02-15-2016, 11:11 PM
Yes, Joe. At least, I thought it was Joe.... But I was crying, so maybe I heard wrong.

Jackson yelled sing it. He did that at the first show he did after Glenn's death. That audience joined in. I don't think anyone sang along tonight. I am so upset that there was no introduction or mention of Glenn.

sad-cafe
02-15-2016, 11:11 PM
I knew they were just going to play Take It Easy but I really expected them to say a few words like Stevie Wonder did for that guy from Earth Wind and Fire... I blame the Grammys.

They did all look heartbroken and I actually was worried Jackson wasn't going to be able to get through the song.

Exactly.

They deserved an intro or something at the end. And then Glenn's video was not complete. Like they started it in the middle.

They deserved much more.

I know the guys did all they could but the grammy assoc. could have done more.

ktdids
02-15-2016, 11:13 PM
Very disappointing in how this was handled. No introduction and they pretty much cut off the person talking right before they jumped to the video of Glenn.
I agree the performance was the best they could do under the circumstances. I don't think Don was even singing at the start of the song, he looked like he was trying to keep it together more than anything. Thought Jackson was going to have tears in his eyes before the song was done.

cheryl
02-15-2016, 11:14 PM
I just saw a post on billboard twitter that said they were presented with their grammy for Hotel California since they were not present when they won. It said this happened as they went to the commercial. Maybe, someone on here can verify this.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 11:17 PM
They posted an article about it as well:

"Eagles Get Presented Grammy for 'Hotel California' That They Didn't Accept in 1977" (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/6875350/eagles-accept-hotel-california-award-grammys-2016)

Billboard's a pretty reliable source.

GlennLover
02-15-2016, 11:18 PM
I just saw a post on billboard twitter that said they were presented with their grammy for Hotel California since they were not present when they won. It said this happened as they went to the commercial. Maybe, someone on here can verify this.

I think that this would be in very poor taste, under the circumstances.

shunlvswx
02-15-2016, 11:21 PM
With Don being in eyesight of the camera right behind Jackson(we always see him behind Glenn when Glenn or Don is singing lead. I'm going to miss that), you could see his face more than the other guys. I was watching Don throughout the performance. It was just something about Don can't put my finger. It was like the poor guy just wanted to lose it. Just break down and cry, but he was holding it in.

From the other closeup of the guys, they seem ok, but Don just wanted to lose it. He just looked soo sad. I wanted to hug him.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 11:25 PM
Don seemed almost angry to me.

02-15-2016, 11:26 PM
I went back and rewatched it since I was watching it through tears the first time. Jackson really did seem to have a hard time getting through the song. To me they all just looked incredibly sad. Gosh, my heart aches for all of them.

sad-cafe
02-15-2016, 11:34 PM
I think we just saw their last performance ever

and I agree-Don looked angry and devastated and it was all they could do to get through it

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 11:36 PM
I pray to God they do some kind of tribute concert for him at some point. That is so unworthy of being their last performance, at the mercy of the Grammys' ruthless timetable. The Grammys just wanted to hurry up and get to their 20 minutes of commercials.

MaryCalifornia
02-15-2016, 11:36 PM
Such a lame transition to the Eagles - they cut off that poor lady who won for song of the year, before she could say a word! They guy before her didn't speak TOO long, I didn't think. Did they remove her bodily from the stage? And then Glenn's video came in part way through, it seemed...ugh!!

There is a reason the Eagles harmonies are famous, and that is because their voices blend together perfectly. I think Don, Tim, Joe, Bernie and Steuart could have pulled off a good rendition. Sadly, add a random person singing lead and it is no good. Obviously Jackson is not random, but I mean add ANYONE singing lead, with the Eagles singing backup, and it won't sound great. I didn't notice he was choked up, but I have it recorded so I can watch it as many times as I want.

Timothy was turned WAY up on "Standin' on a corner..." at least that was nice. You can see he's singing with Glenn, but they turn him way down. Sigh....I miss Glenn. This is awful.

Handing them a grammy for HC is stupid.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 11:39 PM
Maurice White, Bowie, BB King... they're all getting nice intros. This couldn't be done for Glenn??

shunlvswx
02-15-2016, 11:40 PM
Don seemed almost angry to me.

I had said in my early post that he looked pissed off. Like he wasn't happy about something that went on before they went on stage. It was like Don was going lose it.

scottside
02-15-2016, 11:42 PM
This was the sloppiest most inane Grammy Awards ceremony ever! I've watched these ridiculous award shows time and time again hoping to catch something worthwhile to hear as I don't keep a close tab on any new music. After watching everything until the Glenn Frey tribute, I was pretty much out of patience by the time it finally came on.

And it was a total mess. The beginning editing was terrible and the whole thing didn't get anywhere near the respect that it deserved. Kudos to Jackson, Don, Bernie, Timothy and Joe for keeping it together and for the obviously pained performance. Jackson did fine, but from the very beginning it was so weird hearing him with the band instead of Glenn. It just struck me as being all wrong.

sad-cafe
02-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Maurice White, Bowie, BB King... they're all getting nice intros. This couldn't be done for Glenn??

TOTALLY AGREE

Freypower
02-15-2016, 11:46 PM
Joe did?

It was Jackson the second time. I'm afraid that Jackson really struggled with the song, but you could tell how upset he was. As for Don, I don't think I've ever seen him so stony-faced.

Thanks to all of you who sat through this. I'm afraid that I am not surprised at all, not at all, that this is how it turned out.

Those audience shots at the end... it was like they didn't even know what the tribute was for.

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 11:48 PM
The whole thing was just wrong...way wrong. I don't want to take anything away from the guys - they were there to pay tribute to their friend. All day long I felt uneasy about watching, but I didn't expect to be disappointed.

Tori
02-15-2016, 11:48 PM
I agree that they could have done things much, much better. I would've loved an intro like BB King and Bowie got. Hopefully we do get a little something else that could be a more fitting "end" to things. I hate using that term :(

If I could go slightly off-topic here for a moment, I hate seeing people on certain Facebook pages taking this opportunity to bash the Grammys not only for not doing a better job with the tribute, but for having so much "modern music" instead, especially rap and hip hop like Kendrick Lamar. Like it or not, this is what people consume these days. It makes me so mad that people are so insensitive about modern music. Sure, a lot of it is vapid and mass produced and offensive, but there's a lot that is meaningful and beautiful, just like the Eagles' tunes were and still are. The times, they are a-changin', people!

...Had to, for a second. Sorry. Back to Glenn, rightfully!

WalshFan88
02-15-2016, 11:52 PM
I have two things to say:

1. What an emotional but wonderful performance. I was keeping it together until his picture came on the screen at the end and then I lost it and started crying, the most I have since his passing. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

2. I want to know who's idea it was to "rush" the tribute through without a proper introduction and allowing the band to say something. If they (the band) didn't want to, that's fine. But I feel the lack of introduction is squarely on the shoulders of the people at the Grammys. You can give Ariana whoever (just one of many examples) as long as she wants because it's good for ratings because young people like her, but they can't properly give enough time to recognize an icon, hero, and REAL musician. I'm beyond mad. How disrespectful.

I feel for all of you tonight, and I echo your sentiments.

sad-cafe
02-15-2016, 11:54 PM
as I said earlier. I mostly hate what passes for music today.

give me Classic Rock any day

most of this new stuff is just crap

Kendric Lamar cursing up a storm in his "song" then the first thing he says is thank you go God? Really

guess I am just old fashioned

and Alabama Shakes?

MaryCalifornia
02-15-2016, 11:56 PM
I wish we had a moment of just Don, Joe and Tim on stage. So much more poignant. They've been the Eagles for the past decades, and now they're without Glenn, that's the real story. At least when they presented them the Grammy, Jackson and Bernie should have left the stage with Steuart. Having those others up there distracts from the reality. And yes, I know that Bernie appeared on the HOTE tour.

As regards the topic of modern music, that Thinking Out Loud song that won for best song is fantastic and Ed Sheeran is a great singer. I always enjoy Lady Gaga's performances - haven't seen the one from tonight yet, but she can sing. Harry Styles from One Direction was in the balcony with Cindy at the Troubadour tribute - very cool. That is all I have to say on that topic, I don't know who any of those other people are, seriously. I liked Taylor Swift's sparkle cat suit.

Tori
sad cafe, I get it. Music has changed a LOT, and I don't blame the older generation for not liking it!

Austin, I agree with your second point. If anything, I'm plain confused why everyone else got a nice spoken intro, while the Eagles got a short video clip of Glenn coming right off of someone else's acceptance speech. It just seemed very weirdly put together.

WalshFan88
This pic is on Joe Perry's (lead guitarist for Aerosmith) instagram. Joe backstage with DH.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rxznu1.jpg

Tori
02-15-2016, 11:58 PM
Under such sad circumstances, but a lovely pic nonetheless. :heart:

cheryl
02-16-2016, 12:05 AM
I think that picture says a lot.

NOLA
02-16-2016, 12:07 AM
The tribute, sans intro, would've been acceptable if there was at least a recognizable break between the previous acceptance speech and Glenn's video. I imagine many viewers missed a lot of what Glenn said due to the sudden start, and the abrupt cutting off of the speech was met with a booing audience. Not to mention that a lot of viewers, as well, probably didn't know who or why Jackson was singing with them. One big technical FUBAR! 😡😤

anne_m
02-16-2016, 12:07 AM
as I said earlier. I mostly hate what passes for music today.

give me Classic Rock any day

most of this new stuff is just crap

Kendric Lamar cursing up a storm in his "song" then the first thing he says is thank you go God? Really

guess I am just old fashioned

and Alabama Shakes?

I totally agree! I'm only 22 and I'd take classic rock and old school music over the music I hear daily on the radio. I was totally born in the wrong generation.

Tori
02-16-2016, 12:11 AM
The tribute, sans intro, would've been acceptable if there was at least a recognizable break between the previous acceptance speech and Glenn's video. I imagine many viewers missed a lot of what Glenn said due to the sudden start, and the abrupt cutting off of the speech was met with a booing audience. Not to mention that a lot of viewers, as well, probably didn't know who or why Jackson was singing with them. One big technical FUBAR! 😡😤

Right? It was very strange. It was almost like, I think, the co-writer of the song who had just won the previous award was going to speak, but then they went ahead with the tribute, cutting her off. It was very strange. I work at a theatre, where timing is everything in cues like this, and it was just weird. Live TV, I guess. :/

NOLA
02-16-2016, 12:12 AM
I had said in my early post that he looked pissed off. Like he wasn't happy about something that went on before they went on stage. It was like Don was going lose it.

I imagine he wanted to be anywhere but there tonight. But, he had to do it.😢

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 12:15 AM
It was painful to watch. They held it together very well. And a shout out to Bernie for holding the solo down...

That was the strangest thing I ever saw. I'm not even sure if I will ever get over this one :cry:

Tori
02-16-2016, 12:21 AM
SAR, I did love Bernie's solo. Dude pretty much nailed it.

I can't get over how sad they all looked, guys. Let's all go hunt them down and give them all giant hugs. :(

sad-cafe
02-16-2016, 12:23 AM
I have two things to say:

1. What an emotional but wonderful performance. I was keeping it together until his picture came on the screen at the end and then I lost it and started crying, the most I have since his passing. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

2. I want to know who's idea it was to "rush" the tribute through without a proper introduction and allowing the band to say something. If they (the band) didn't want to, that's fine. But I feel the lack of introduction is squarely on the shoulders of the people at the Grammys. You can give Ariana whoever (just one of many examples) as long as she wants because it's good for ratings because young people like her, but they can't properly give enough time to recognize an icon, hero, and REAL musician. I'm beyond mad. How disrespectful.

I feel for all of you tonight, and I echo your sentiments.

SPOT ON

and to take it even further-who gives a rip about Justin beber singing trash about his ex-

could have used that time to do a proper tribute

ktdids
02-16-2016, 12:27 AM
Probably the wrong place to say this, but this is an awards show right? Who won what? In 10 years will I remember any of them?

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 12:33 AM
The whole closure thing? I agree. I feel indifferent. Like they wanted to do more but it was hard as it is to even be there. And I'm sure that was why Don was understandably upset.

Tori
02-16-2016, 12:44 AM
I'm starting to think that if Don was as upset as he looked onstage, then I'm with him. I've been growing angrier about the whole thing - not as much the tribute itself, but how it was presented by the Grammys, and especially how the Facebook crowd is responding so negatively to it. I should probably go sleep it off...

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 12:47 AM
I'm starting to think that if Don was as upset as he looked onstage, then I'm with him. I've been growing angrier about the whole thing - not as much the tribute itself, but how it was presented by the Grammys, and especially how the Facebook crowd is responding so negatively to it. I should probably go sleep it off...

It was the first time since the summer I believe he was on stage with the band. So yeah I totally get it if that's why.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 12:50 AM
They are really talking bad about Jackson Browne forgetting the lyrics on facebook. I had to stand up for Jackson because he was emotional and they need to cut him some slack. I told them to walk in his and the guys shoes during that performance.

Tori
02-16-2016, 12:58 AM
My sister did the same, Shun! "Learn the words"? The man WROTE the song, of course he knows the words! God forbid he slip up under such emotional circumstances. Gosh, the nerve of some people... :steviesmack:

sodascouts
02-16-2016, 01:02 AM
I just can't deal with those kind of people. Hating on Jackson Browne?? How hard-hearted can you be?? I'm going to bed.

But on a final note regarding the tribute, although I was disappointed with the abrupt way it was presented by the Grammys sans intro, I admire the guys for doing the song despite how terribly difficult it must have been.

Tori
02-16-2016, 01:35 AM
Absolutely, Soda. I certainly wouldn't have been able to hold it together. I admire them so deeply for being able to get up there and do that. :heart:

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 01:53 AM
Trying to catch up on this topic. My uncle has no internet service and I have very little cell phone reception there, so I couldn't chime in until I got home.

I echo everyone who said that it was rushed. When the video of Glenn from F1 came on, my uncle and I flew to grab the remote and hit record. I could see the pain in the guys' faces. Don and Jackson looked the most pained. Given all of the circumstances, I think that they did a good job. I loved seeing Bernie play the solo. Seeing Jackson up there felt a bit odd. All throughout the song, I kept hearing Glenn's voice singing in my head. When they showed the picture, I lost it. It really hit me then. He truly is gone. I do fault the Grammys for not being more put together.

Witchy Woman
02-16-2016, 02:30 AM
I have little to no interest in what is considered music these days, so I very rarely watch the Grammys, unless someone I like is on. Naturally, I wanted to see Jackson and the boys. I was also interested in seeing Lady GaGa pay tribute to David Bowie.

I am very disappointed in how they presented Glenn's tribute. No one came out and introduced them, or said anything in honor of Glenn. It was half assed and stupid to just throw him up on the screen like that. I'm sure there were some folks who had no idea who he was, or what the performance was about. The guys were obviously hurt and emotional, and it broke my heart to see Jackson struggle to keep it together while singing. You could hear the breaks in his voice. Everyone deals with grief differently. Don did look pissed, but that may have been his way of trying not to lose it. It bothers me that this performance may be the first impression someone has of them, when they may not know the circumstances.

I thought the whole show sucked.

wasl89
02-16-2016, 03:05 AM
It was a beautiful tribute, but I agree on the fact that it wasn’t good that they weren't introduced (or something) and had a little say after the beautiful performance. The music these days isn’t the music as it used to be. It was really heartbreaking to see them perform, you could read the emotions on their faces. It tears me up…

wasl89
02-16-2016, 03:08 AM
I am very disappointed in how they presented Glenn's tribute. No one came out and introduced them, or said anything in honor of Glenn. It was half assed and stupid to just throw him up on the screen like that. I'm sure there were some folks who had no idea who he was, or what the performance was about. The guys were obviously hurt and emotional, and it broke my heart to see Jackson struggle to keep it together while singing. You could hear the breaks in his voice. Everyone deals with grief differently. Don did look pissed, but that may have been his way of trying not to lose it. It bothers me that this performance may be the first impression someone has of them, when they may not know the circumstances.

I totally agree!

MaryCalifornia
02-16-2016, 03:19 AM
I think we may not be giving credit to those in attendance as far their knowledge of Glenn and the Eagles...they are ALL in the music industry, regardless of their age or genre - they know who the Eagles are, they know Glenn Frey died. Just because you don't know who THEY are, assuming ignorance on their part isn't fair. I am going to assume that the entire entertainment industry has seen the HOTE doc - it is on Showtime, Netflix, CNN, had over-the-top stellar reviews, for goodness sake - those in the biz are not ignorant. It has been in every written publication over the past week that they'd be playing TIE at the Grammys. The people in the room knew what was happening, and there is no reason to think that those watching on TV who are fans of music or watch the Grammys didn't know who Glenn was.

OutlawManNJ
02-16-2016, 04:06 AM
Don was probably just angry he had to sit thru all the crappy assclown "artists" that were on before them. Seriously music today, at least what gets played, sucks!

Courtney barnett is a fantastic new artist and she lost to some crappy prepackaged garbage in the new artist category. (Courtney Barnett to me saves rock music today. Her debut album is on every best list and it really is good, youtube her).

Glenn got the minimum treatment from the grammys. They didnt even bother to show old photos of him like they did with Bb king. 3 and a half hours and almost all garbage and they could give Glenn 30 seconds more. Screw them and the music industry.

DivineDon
02-16-2016, 04:52 AM
I agree - Don WAS angry!!! Knowing him he was furious that the Grammy's couldn't even give Glenn a proper introduction and then as the song progressed I think it really hit home for him. He didn't sing as much as normal and really hit the hell out of those drums.

We have commercials here but nothing like you guys in the States. I don't know how you watch anything.

L101
02-16-2016, 07:11 AM
I have to agree that the Grammys didn't go out of their way to give Glenn the proper tribute he deserved. There should have been a proper introduction for them. But I do think that most of the audience knew who he was and who the Eagles were....They have gotten a lot of new exposure with the HOTE tour. I am glad that Ed Sheeran finally won his Grammy though!

But Don was definitely angry (or grim determination not to break down) and upset. He needed those drums to get through that song. And I also noticed that he didn't sing as much as he normally does. It looked like it really hit him during the song that Glenn was gone and that's when he really pounded the drums!

The rest of the guys did a great job especially Jackson. I just hope he ignores what those "people" have been saying about him on FB.

NYC Fan
02-16-2016, 07:27 AM
I'm glad I'm not on Facebook. Reading that stuff would just make me angry.

I loved the performance. It must have been so painful and difficult for them, but they did a great job. To me, it looked like they were all in deep concentration, giving it their all to honor their friend. Jackson looked the most pained, and I still can't believe he got through it as well as he did.

Something about the way Don hit the last few notes on the drums, and the look on his face, had such an air of finality about it to me. I know it may be the way he always does it, but it stuck me as so sad and poignant.

I have to think they did not want a spoken intro or outro, or surely there would have been one. The only awkward moment was that they cut off the woman's speech to roll the Glenn clip. that kind of stuff can happen at those shows.

I definitely think they did this for the fans, and I loved it and appreciate it. This, and the Hamilton performance were the only thing I was watching the broadcast for. And I thought they did themselves proud.

UndertheWire
02-16-2016, 07:39 AM
I've just watched it and I think Jackson Browne was great. I'm always amazed that anyone is able to sing under such circumstances but he managed it with only one hesitation. It seemed like the audience was with them. The only thing that would have made it right for fans was if Glenn had walked out to join them. It's not getting much media coverage but it was a group of old men, dressed black, on a black stage singing an old song. It was understated and well-executed. A fitting tribute.

The Guardian live blogger called it "really endearing" and that seems an appropriate.

maryc2130
02-16-2016, 07:56 AM
I don't know, but I think they probably didn't want introductions and talk. I'm not sure they could have gotten through it - it seems they barely got through the song, especially Jackson and Don. Plus, they obviously don't buy into the whole Grammy hoopla thing. It's my guess that they just wanted to keep it simple and straightforward, but obviously, I could be wrong.

It makes me really angry that people are ranking on Jackson. To me, the fact that he flubbed it a little just shows that he's human and that he cares about Glenn's death.

It may be me, but I didn't think you could hear Don's harmony as much as usual. It's normally so strong in the background. Timothy sounded great, but I don't think it quite made up for it. Or maybe they just wanted a quieter version. Not sure.

And it just seemed so sad without Glenn. :cry:

That picture of Don someone posted is heart breaking. He really looks devastated.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 08:36 AM
I don't know, but I think they probably didn't want introductions and talk. I'm not sure they could have gotten through it - it seems they barely got through the song, especially Jackson and Don. Plus, they obviously don't buy into the whole Grammy hoopla thing. It's my guess that they just wanted to keep it simple and straightforward, but obviously, I could be wrong.

It makes me really angry that people are ranking on Jackson. To me, the fact that he flubbed it a little just shows that he's human and that he cares about Glenn's death.

It may be me, but I didn't think you could hear Don's harmony as much as usual. It's normally so strong in the background. Timothy sounded great, but I don't think it quite made up for it. Or maybe they just wanted a quieter version. Not sure.

And it just seemed so sad without Glenn. :cry:

That picture of Don someone posted is heart breaking. He really looks devastated.

You weren't the only one, Maryc. I couldn't hear Don's harmonies either. You could always hear Don's voice when he's harmonizing with Glenn. You couldn't here. It was like his mike was very low. Timothy's vocals stood out on the standing on the corner lines, but than again. You would always hear either Randy or Timothy's vocals very poignant in those lines since they are singing along with Glenn on that part. It was just something about that time that it was a little off.

sodascouts
02-16-2016, 08:39 AM
I can see why the guys wouldn't want to talk; if that's the case, one can't blame them. They did their best.

I still think cutting off the person who was giving an acceptance speech to slam over into a video clip of Glenn without preamble was awkwardly abrupt. However, I guess I should try to focus more on the positive and say that I appreciate them doing this for Glenn and the fans.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 09:08 AM
I do appreciate Don, Glenn, Joe, Timothy, Bernie and Jackson for doing this for us. It was very emotional and sad seeing them doing this performance. I hope this is not the last time we see them together. Last night really wasn't a good closure and I hope we do get a better closure. I hope they still do the KCH later this year. I think they will.

I pray that Don and Joe get through the TJ Mantell Foundation gala event at the end of this month. I wonder what they will say about Glenn then.

UndertheWire
02-16-2016, 09:11 AM
This is the best clip I could find as it includes the video intro and the bows at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtKBcFQlF3I

Someone (possibly the remaining band members and Azoff) made the decision that the most appropriate person to introduce the tribute was Glenn himself and I'm not going to argue with that. I see the abrupt cutting off the speech and the start of the video as a technical flub. Unfortunate, but the kind of thing that happens in live shows. I feel sorry for whoever it was that only got to say "Thank you..."

Victim of Love
02-16-2016, 09:23 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/music/2016-grammy-awards-moments-the-cameras-missed-075735788.html

I'm sure many of you have seen this but wanted to put the link here. The guys were handed their Grammy for Hotel California lastnight but it wasn't part of the event shown on camera. Outrageous under the circumstances!

As for the lack of intro and any comments prior to their performance, there should have been something more than the video clip of Glenn before the guys sang. There appeared to be some obvious technical flubs beginning with someone's acceptance speech being cut off. But when you consider that it's was just four weeks ago that we lost Glenn and that the Grammy production team had to juggle things to include the guys, I'm sure it was a challenge. The guys all struggled - it was apparent - and I can't help but wonder if they took the professional high road by appearing last night, doing so out of respect to Glenn and the fans while not yet being emotionally prepared. The photo of them taking their bow spoke volumes about their sadness over their loss.

And those folks who are criticizing Jackson Browne for his small error obviously don't know the history of Glenn and Jackson, nor do they comprehend that he wasn't there to replace Glenn, but to honor him.

A month after Glenn's passing I didn't think my heart could break anymore over our loss, but watching the guys last night shattered it to pieces.

OutlawManNJ
02-16-2016, 09:25 AM
So what if JB messed up a few words....i prefer rock that way, unpredictable. Mistakes are ok in rock. Not to mention the circumstances.

Who knows what it was like backstage with some 20something rushing Don and gang to get ready, maybe Don suddenly realized the superficiality of it all. Or maybe we are projecting our feelings onto Don. Ill have to rewatch (good ole dvrs) to see if the whole Don was angry thing really stands or if it was just Do n being Don.

(Just rewatched...think JB did a fine job, he could have always been an Eagle...and i dunno about the 'Don being miserable' , i think he was just being Don...hes not a smiley kind of guy as it is. He was probably being somber and respectful of Glenn, but not sure the miserable stands)

Victim of Love
02-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Probably the wrong place to say this, but this is an awards show right? Who won what? In 10 years will I remember any of them?

Sadly the Grammys have DEvolved over the past 10-15 years from an evening to honor truly great performers into the circus that was on last night. I haven't watched it in ages because it has become such a joke (and ONLY turned it on last night to see Glenn's tribute). They could have omitted at least 60 minutes of the crap they did last night and instead presented an artistic, classy, tasteful show. What I saw by and large was nothing but a bunch of flash in pan people who have NO talent. We WON'T remember them in ten years because, for the most part, they make no lasting contributions with few exceptions. Just my opinion.

DivineDon
02-16-2016, 10:00 AM
(Just rewatched...think JB did a fine job, he could have always been an Eagle...and i dunno about the 'Don being miserable' , i think he was just being Don...hes not a smiley kind of guy as it is. He was probably being somber and respectful of Glenn, but not sure the miserable stands)

Well, I didn't say he looked miserable, if anything I thought he looked angry probably because he's a perfectionist and the whole intro mess would have really annoyed him....and no, I didn't hear any harmonies from him either but maybe he felt Timothy and Jackson's voice suited each other better.

And JB was entitled to fluff his lines. How many people have broken down when trying to eulogize a loved one?

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 10:23 AM
The Grammys presented with their Record of the Year award almost 40 something years later which I thought they would had gotten years ago. I think they were going to do it on tv, but of course it was cut to commercial. That's probably what we were going to hear before they went to commercial. Their is a picture of Don getting the award. I need to find it.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/6875350/eagles-accept-hotel-california-award-grammys-2016
(http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/6875350/eagles-accept-hotel-california-award-grammys-2016)
ETA: I just saw MC's post on this.

buffyfan145
02-16-2016, 10:48 AM
I thought the tribute was great. I can't imagine what the guys were going through but they did a lovely tribute for Glenn. I watched most of the show (as I usually do each year for my current favorites who were nominated/performed) and this was the part my Mom was wanting to see as well (she loved it too). I liked how they had Glenn talking in the beginning and then they performed. I figured they wouldn't talk but the bow at the end was so nice. I wish they showed them getting their Grammy for Hotel California too.

Did like how they included Anna Kendrick after they finished talking a bit about it and Irving getting his award back on Sunday. They also showed Glenn performing "Already Gone" during the actual "In Memoriam" segment. That part had me crying too as they ended it with that classic clip of Natalie Cole singing "Unforgettable" with her dad. I also liked the tributes they did for B.B. King (especially the guitar solos), David Bowie, Maurice White, and Lemmy too. There were parts of the Grammys I didn't like but that's normal, but overall I enjoyed it for the artists I like and the tributes.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 10:50 AM
I missed that part. I stopped watching after the David Bowie tribute.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 10:54 AM
I found the memoriam video of all the people that died this year and last year on Youtube. The video starts at 2:07 and Glenn comes in at 2:24.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFsQwe34LB0

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 10:58 AM
I wanted to watch the whole show, but when something came on that my uncle didn't like, he'd change the channel. I ended up missing the BB King tribute because of him doing that. Plus, southwest Georgia had some nasty weather last night, several severe thunderstorms, gusty winds, and a few minor tornadoes. 3 times, the weather guys broke in to make sure that people knew what was going on.

Fastlane has shared a video (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1028983373840877&id=139841996088357) that someone recorded of the guys receiving the Grammy for Hotel California.

NightMistBlue
02-16-2016, 11:28 AM
I found the memoriam video of all the people that died this year and last year on Youtube. The video starts at 2:07 and Glenn comes in at 2:24.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFsQwe34LB0

Thank you, Shun. I'm not thrilled that Chris Squire didn't get sound - he was only one of the greatest bass players to ever walk the earth - but hey.

Brooke
02-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Well, it looks like everyone feels like I did about the whole thing last night. I'm so sorry for the guys and JB. They tried. They all looked very distraught but they gave it their all. Poor Jackson messing up on the lyrics too. :sad:

I agree they should have had an introduction, but maybe that's the way they wanted it. Glenn in the beginning and the end. Comparing it to the other tributes though, it wasn't enough. I feel kind of empty too. I hope we, the fans, get something else....

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 11:35 AM
IMO. The guys are not ready to do another tribute. They need a little more time. I have to agree with Irving about a memorial. It has to be right and with how the guys are right now, they are not ready to do a tribute or memorial for Glenn.

I feel for Don and Joe later this month when they do the TJ Mantell Foundation gala event in Nashville. Its going to be hard for them, but I'm happy they are doing that. I don't know if they were asked to do it before or after Glenn's death. They probably were asked before.

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Thank you, Shun. I'm not thrilled that Chris Squire didn't get sound - he was only one of the greatest bass players to ever walk the earth - but hey.

I'm miffed that Andy Fraser (bassist of Free), who died in March 2015, didn't even get a mention. How big of a hit was/is All Right Now?!

I hate that the greats who are no longer with us are second rate to the young pop stars of today. It's all about the $$$$ and ratings, not the music.

jms18222
02-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Anyone who dared bash Jackson is not an Eagle fan, sorry plain & simple. That man was one of the main building blocks of the Eagles becoming the Eagles. No one else could have sang that song but Jackson. I did think it a bit odd that Timothy stepped up & sang the 2nd verse of the song with Jackson instead of Don but it was fitting. I doubt Don could have done it, my personal thought. I never even noticed Jackson messed up the lyrics.

No one else could have done anything for Glenn except those 6 guys that were on stage. There isn't anyone out there who has had such a long career to match what those 6 men, in the depth of their loss, showed the raw emotion that was befitting of this man. I looked around in the audience and though not a single one of you will be selling out shows 45 years from now.

I don't think we will see or hear from these guys for awhile. I don't see any of these guys being able to perform a memorial service any time soon.

I find it a bit odd that the Grammy's held on to their award for almost 40 years in some warehouse. I am guessing Irving had it in his possession and it was decided to give it to them after Take It Easy, off camera. Wouldn't it have been so much more special to give it to them next year which would have been the 40th anniversary when they might have been over their grief a bit more, coming off the Kennedy Awards.

...stepping off my soap box now

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Actually JMS. Randy and then Timothy later after he joined, had always harmonize on the second verse with Glenn. So that wasn't unusual. Don never harmonize on that second verse. To think about it. Don doesn't do that much harmonizing with Glenn on that song. He didn't start to harmonize a lot with Glenn until the second album.

Witchy Woman
02-16-2016, 12:12 PM
I think we may not be giving credit to those in attendance as far their knowledge of Glenn and the Eagles...they are ALL in the music industry, regardless of their age or genre - they know who the Eagles are, they know Glenn Frey died. Just because you don't know who THEY are, assuming ignorance on their part isn't fair. I am going to assume that the entire entertainment industry has seen the HOTE doc - it is on Showtime, Netflix, CNN, had over-the-top stellar reviews, for goodness sake - those in the biz are not ignorant. It has been in every written publication over the past week that they'd be playing TIE at the Grammys. The people in the room knew what was happening, and there is no reason to think that those watching on TV who are fans of music or watch the Grammys didn't know who Glenn was.

I'm sorry, what ? I've been a fan of theirs for over 35 years. Who are you to tell me I don't know who THEY are ? If you took the time to actually read what I said, I stated that SOME may not know who he is, or what the performance was about. Get your facts together before you decide I'm the idiot here.

TW
02-16-2016, 12:18 PM
this was the only picture i could find of them getting the grammy

jms18222
02-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Actually JMS. Randy and then Timothy later after he joined, had always harmonize on the second verse with Glenn. So that wasn't unusual. Don never harmonize on that second verse. To think about it. Don doesn't do that much harmonizing with Glenn on that song. He didn't start to harmonize a lot with Glenn until the second album.

I know that but didn't Don harmonize with Don on the 2nd verse after Randy left? I could have sworn I heard Don sing that in July but I could be mistaken. It was hot & sweaty and I am short.

travlnman2
02-16-2016, 12:26 PM
I am so pissed off about how the Grammies handled it and even more on how fb is handling it. Sure Jackson Browne is paying tribute to his life long brother who just passed but man he forgot the words what a sucker. It's stuff like that it just makes me want to kill everyone on fb who makes fun. This was a heavy performance I was struggling to keep it together. I really thought Jackson was going to get off stage. But it was a beautiful performance nonetheless. I really hope we get a full memorial concert happens where it is just about Glenn. I mean look at taylor swift she was bored the entire time you know why because it was not about her. she is one of the most self centered people ever to be a celebrity. I am only 17 but it is stuff like that which makes me just hate modern music but on the bright side there are some great artists out their. Gary Clark Jr, Jack White, Ed Sherean.

We miss you Glenn you have brought joy and happiness to millions of people and hopefully will get a proper tribute. #screwthegrammies.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 12:31 PM
I know that but didn't Don harmonize with Don on the 2nd verse after Randy left? I could have sworn I heard Don sing that in July but I could be mistaken. It was hot & sweaty and I am short.

I don't think so. Just like Joe took all Bernie's parts and Steuart took all Felder's parts, Timothy took all of Randy's high singing parts including harmonizing with Glenn on the second verse of Take It Easy.

MaryCalifornia
02-16-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm sorry, what ? I've been a fan of theirs for over 35 years. Who are you to tell me I don't know who THEY are ? If you took the time to actually read what I said, I stated that SOME may not know who he is, or what the performance was about. Get your facts together before you decide I'm the idiot here.

I don't know what you're talking about. My post must have been confusing - when I said THEY I certainly did not mean the Eagles, I meant the people sitting in the theater watching the ceremony, who the director cut to during TIE - that's the THEY. There were several comments on here suggesting that many in the audience probably didn't even know who the Eagles were. I was saying there's no basis for stating that, and that as members of the music industry, those in the room knew what was happening on stage. I was trying to assure Borderers that those in the theater and watching on TV understood and appreciated what was taking place.

I didn't call anyone an idiot, or quote you, it was a general statement. I've been on this board with you for three years, WW...

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Here's the Rolling Stone's best and worse moments of the evening. The guys made best moment. I did love seeing the lady from Alabama Shakes singing alone. I think Alabama Shakes were at the Americana Music Awards last year when Don was getting his award. They were the performance before Don accepted his award.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/grammys-2016-20-best-and-worst-moments-20160216?page=2

BEST: Jackson Browne Soars With the Eagles
In the 2013 doc History of the Eagles, Glenn Frey credits Jackson Browne — his onetime downstairs neighbor — with teaching him how to write songs. Browne meanwhile, thanks the late singer-songwriter for penning the masterfully cocky line ("It's a girl, my lord, in a flat-bed Ford/Slowin' down to take a look at me") that capped off their jointly written smash "Take It Easy." So it was comforting to see Browne taking center stage to sing that very song during the surviving Eagles' classily understated tribute on Monday's show. In a night that often seemed strained and gimmicky, the group's unadorned harmonies, backed by spare golden light, provided a rare moment of serenity. The humility radiating from the stage and the bliss evident in the crowd (Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard could be seen crooning along to the "oohs" in the outro) turned the performance into the Grammy equivalent of a campfire sing-along, a stirring reminder of the peaceful easy feeling that Frey so effortlessly conveyed.

LuvTim
02-16-2016, 12:55 PM
This is the best clip I could find as it includes the video intro and the bows at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtKBcFQlF3I

Someone (possibly the remaining band members and Azoff) made the decision that the most appropriate person to introduce the tribute was Glenn himself and I'm not going to argue with that. I see the abrupt cutting off the speech and the start of the video as a technical flub. Unfortunate, but the kind of thing that happens in live shows. I feel sorry for whoever it was that only got to say "Thank you..."

Just fyi, this video has been removed already. :-(

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Luckily I downloaded the clip before it was removed.

TW
02-16-2016, 01:09 PM
me too!

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Did anyone see Don Felder's Facebook post? If not head on over. I was deathly afraid that was going to happen.

TW
02-16-2016, 01:11 PM
yep its on his facebook and twitter. i feel bad but at the same time it wasnt about the eagles, it was about glenn. and him and felder werent on the best of terms

TW
02-16-2016, 01:13 PM
http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.11475711.1455607594!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_960/image.JPG
i was able to find another shot of them getting the grammy for hotel! :)

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm just shaking my head. I couldn't read the comments. Don was NOT going to (and probably never)invite Felder to perform with them especially after what he has done to himself and Glenn for 15 years. Sometimes I wonder about Felder.

I'm going to quote what Don said about the Eagles ever getting back together. When hell freezes over. Hell will freeze over again for Felder to ever perform with the guys.

Tori
02-16-2016, 01:16 PM
That's a cute pic!

As for Felder's posts... yeah, had a feeling that was gonna happen. :/ Is he ever gonna stop being bitter?

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 01:16 PM
yep its on his facebook and twitter. i feel bad but at the same time it wasnt about the eagles, it was about glenn. and him and felder werent on the best of terms

Yeah. It must have been deeper than I thought...

02-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Well no matter what you feel about last night's performance, I think it's fair to say that it was a very difficult time for the band and Eagles fans. So, it doesn't surprise me that everyone is venting now. But, with emotions running high, let's try to be civil to one another here.

Well, it looks like everyone feels like I did about the whole thing last night. I'm so sorry for the guys and JB. They tried. They all looked very distraught but they gave it their all. Poor Jackson messing up on the lyrics too. :sad:

I agree they should have had an introduction, but maybe that's the way they wanted it. Glenn in the beginning and the end. Comparing it to the other tributes though, it wasn't enough. I feel kind of empty too. I hope we, the fans, get something else....

This is pretty much how I feel. I never ever expected that any of the band members would speak - I thought there was a remote chance Irving may say something, but he looked pretty distraught when they panned to him in the audience. I'm wondering if it would have been better to recognize Irving before the band came out and use that as a segue to the performance. As far as Don, all I can say is when I look in his eyes in those pictures, what I see is intense pain and sadness - not anger.

Witchy Woman
02-16-2016, 01:24 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. My post must have been confusing - when I said THEY I certainly did not mean the Eagles, I meant the people sitting in the theater watching the ceremony, who the director cut to during TIE - that's the THEY. There were several comments on here suggesting that many in the audience probably didn't even know who the Eagles were. I was saying there's no basis for stating that, and that as members of the music industry, those in the room knew what was happening on stage. I was trying to assure Borderers that those in the theater and watching on TV understood and appreciated what was taking place.

I didn't call anyone an idiot, or quote you, it was a general statement. I've been on this board with you for three years, WW...

Thanks for clearing that up. I still maintain that there were some who were not familiar with who they are, and I hate the fact that a beautiful, heartfelt performance that has been criticized mercilessly is the first impression they may get.

jms18222
02-16-2016, 01:29 PM
I hold no ill feelings toward Don Felder but...

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 01:33 PM
I scrolled right on by Felder's post when I saw it this morning. I can't believe that he would make that kind of comment about this event. :eyebrow: I thought that he might be above doing that, but I was wrong. He keeps on playing his fans for sympathy and to be selfish.

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 01:37 PM
I agree about the emotions. it's all so difficult to process. I'm reading comments on Felder's post and I'm like absolutely appalled. I mean... the band and us fans are going through enough. no matter what went on with them they ALL lost Glenn. I just feel bad for them.

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 01:40 PM
I scrolled right on by Felder's post when I saw it this morning. I can't believe that he would make that kind of comment about this event. :eyebrow: I thought that he might be above doing that, but I was wrong. He keeps on playing his fans for sympathy and to be selfish.

I actually see a point now. Someone did say that he made it out to be about him. Like a pity thing. I got it now lol

travlnman2
02-16-2016, 02:02 PM

I have met Felder a few time before during his shows and he is generally a nice guy. But I agree with how some of the comments are immature. But there are some people have a huge amount of respect for Glenn and the others and tell the trolls to leave them in peace. Social media can be very deceiving. I believe felder really misses the guys but he needs to find a away to constructvely put his. feelings online.You now what I mean

travlnman2
02-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Since Bernie was involved with this tribute does anyone else think he was officaly invited back?

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Probably. He was still with the group before they stopped touring.

NYC Fan
02-16-2016, 02:43 PM
I hold no ill feelings toward Don Felder but...

I agree. All I could think of was "give it a rest, Felder". Some may say it would have been reconciliatory to invite him, and they may be right. But it actually would seem a little hypocritical to me if they had invited him, given all that water under the bridge.

I'll say no more, as I don't want to drag down this thread, which is about their beautiful and heartfelt tribute.

Midnight Visitor
02-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Personally I think they would have been hypocritical to have invited someone that Glenn didn't like to his Grammy tribute. I'm sad that Felder felt it necessary to post that. We all KNOW you weren't invited Felder. They weren't even doing a song you played on.

That audience was pathetic. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

jms18222
02-16-2016, 03:19 PM
I agree. All I could think of was "give it a rest, Felder". Some may say it would have been reconciliatory to invite him, and they may be right. But it actually would seem a little hypocritical to me if they had invited him, given all that water under the bridge.

I'll say no more, as I don't want to drag down this thread, which is about their beautiful and heartfelt tribute.

What Felder should have written was "a touching tribute to a wonderful musician". He would have won thousands of fans back. Instead he widened the rift.

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 03:34 PM
I have met Felder a few time before during his shows and he is generally a nice guy. But I agree with how some of the comments are immature. But there are some people have a huge amount of respect for Glenn and the others and tell the trolls to leave them in peace. Social media can be very deceiving. I believe felder really misses the guys but he needs to find a away to constructvely put his. feelings online.You now what I mean

Yeah, he needs to think more before posting. After 15 years, I find it hard to believe that he thought that he might be invited to preform a tribute to a person he had bad blood with.

---

Back to the tribute, I've watched again a little while ago. It's still hard to watch, but again, the guys did the best they could. I was kind of shocked, in a good way, to see Steuart playing with them. I can't believe what people were saying about Jackson. I'd like for those people to have to go through and do what he and the guys did, and see if they could do a better job.

Brooke
02-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Not sure where to put this, but Rolling Stone has an article on the Grammys:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/grammys-2016-king-kendrick-lamar-steals-the-show-20160216?page=2

"The Eagles paid a very unsentimental deadpan tribute to Glenn Frey with "Take It Easy" with Jackson Browne, though nobody can step to Joe Walsh, who might be the Grammys' favorite person. (Who can forget him jamming with Paul McCartney to Side Two of Abbey Road in 2012?)"

Really? This is all they can say?

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
"unsentimental deadpan". What tribute was RS watching? You could tell that the guys were emotional during the song, and they were holding it together. If that translates into being deadpan, oh well. I don't get the unsentimental part :headscratch:, though. Did RS really expect them to be up there laughing and joking, as if Glenn was backstage waiting to surprise everyone or something?

In short, Rolling Stone can go blow it. :tonguewag::tonguewag: :enraged:

02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
"The Eagles paid a very unsentimental deadpan tribute to Glenn Frey with "Take It Easy" with Jackson Browne, though nobody can step to Joe Walsh, who might be the Grammys' favorite person. (Who can forget him jamming with Paul McCartney to Side Two of Abbey Road in 2012?)"

OMG - All I can say about Rolling Stone right now is the word ...

HYPOCRISY!

LuvTim
02-16-2016, 03:52 PM
"unsentimental deadpan". What tribute was RS watching? You could tell that the guys were emotional during the song, and they were holding it together. If that translates into being deadpan, oh well. I don't get the unsentimental part :headscratch:, though. Did RS really expect them to be up there laughing and joking, as if Glenn was backstage waiting to surprise everyone or something?

In short, Rolling Stone can go blow it. :tonguewag::tonguewag: :enraged:

Well said.

scottside
02-16-2016, 03:53 PM
I've got a few words for Rolling Stone that I can't write on this board!!! Ridiculous!

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 03:54 PM
What the heck. They were trying to pay tribute to their fallen leader while trying to keep it together without breaking down. What did they expect. Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane or Already Gone. It probably would had very hard for any of the guys to sing any of their songs with the Eagles.

What the heck were they expected. Yes it was a celebration of Glenn, but it was also a very bittersweet moment of not having their leader on stage with them.

I see why the guys didn't have a great relationship with RS.

Tori
02-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Unsentimental? Deadpan??? Hahahaha, okay, Rolling Stone, oooookay. Obviously you saw something we didn't. :scowl:

TW
02-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Rolling Stone's comment is honestly so amusing, are people really this ignorant?!

UndertheWire
02-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Possibly written by a young person who hasn't experienced personal loss.

I'm feeling forgiving of Rolling Stone because of Cameron Crowe.

About Felder, when I'm feeling cycnical, I wonder if he's mounting a PR campaign while his lawyers get to work on claiming 50% of the Eagles name.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Possibly written by a young person who hasn't experienced personal loss.

I'm feeling forgiving of Rolling Stone because of Cameron Crowe.

About Felder, when I'm feeling cycnical, I wonder if he's mounting a PR campaign while his lawyers get to work on claiming 50% of the Eagles name.

Oh I hope that doesn't happen. He would definitely scoop so low on that. Don would definitely not forgive him he try to do that.

NightMistBlue
02-16-2016, 04:13 PM
I've got a few words for Rolling Stone that I can't write on this board!!! Ridiculous!

They've always been clueless.

Tori
02-16-2016, 04:22 PM
At this point, with all the little things that could've gone better, to the media attention, to Felder's comments, I've turned so bitter and cynical about this whole thing. My Twitter is a hot mess right now. I know it's not any one person's fault, but... I don't know about you, but what I first thought was a pretty good tribute has gotten way more disappointing over the past ~18 hours. :/

JennyCH
02-16-2016, 04:31 PM
I was really shocked to see respectful introductions, short eulogies for everyone, except Glenn? Also, I've seen tons of interviews with Glenn, know how to get my hands on them, etc. and these producers select one where he's not even speaking a complete sentence? This man was extremely articulate and thoughtful about songwriting and music. And could do it succinctly too. The lack of care really speaks to where the music industry is these days. Even if Eagles approved the "cold start" video and then the song, it's likely because they were told they only had 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

Now some would say the Grammys are put together months ahead of time, yada yada...but those directors and producers are well paid to deal with last-minute issues and changes...When Scalia (Supreme Court justice in the U.S.) died suddenly on Saturday, no one at CNN was saying "ohhhh can someone give us a month and a half to put something together?" Are you kidding me? I'm shocked no one gave a darn to tell "musician" Johnny Depp and Alice Cooper to cut the Lemmy tribute to one song because you know they did two, one wasn't even a Lemmy song - it was their own song. That would've opened a few precious minutes for a Glenn introduction.

This shows the music industry has no interest in promoting or preserving rock anymore. It not for Grohl's influence, I'm totally certain the Lemmy tribute wouldn't've happened. Today, they only care about pleasing pop, rap, and dance music fans.

OutlawManNJ
02-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Right!

What was th clip that they picked for Glenn all about...Im not sure after 2 viewing I know what he was saying. Careless choice. AND THEY SHOULD have shown old photos in the back while the band played. ZERO research on the Grammy part.

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 05:00 PM
All that I could tell from the interview clip was that it was from the bonus interview on the Farewell 1 dvd. I couldn't understand what he was saying, though.

Brooke
02-16-2016, 05:00 PM
And I heard this morning on the Today Show that GaGa's tribute to Bowie took over 6 minutes and there was still time left........:cuss:

NightMistBlue
02-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Do ya'll think this will intensify the desire for the remaining Eagles to do a public memorial concert for Glenn or totally squelch the idea? They probably want to give it some time. Maybe they'll do something in the summer, or for the 40th anniversary of Hotel California.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 05:02 PM
In the clip that was showing on Glenn, he was actually describing Don. This was when the guys were describing each other in the bonus interview of the Farewell 1 DVD. Glenn was describing Don not a song. This was what Glenn was saying before, "Don is our chief vocalist and our chief lyricist." Timothy then says, "He's a great poet and a great singer." Glenn then says, "He just love singing with other people." Then Glenn goes into what he was saying in the clip."

NightMistBlue
02-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Oh OK, thank you. I thought Glenn was describing how fun it is to sing harmony.

Freypower
02-16-2016, 05:15 PM
In the clip that was showing on Glenn, he was actually describing Don. This was when the guys were describing each other in the bonus interview of the Farewell 1 DVD. Glenn was describing Don not a song. This was what Glenn was saying before, "Don is our chief vocalist and our chief lyricist." Timothy then says, "He's a great poet and a great singer." Glenn then says, "He just love singing with other people." Then Glenn goes into what he was saying in the clip."

Why when the tribute was about Glenn did they show him talking about Don?
The 'singing with other people' part is 'I love singing with other people' & then he talks about harmonising. At least that is what I remember from F1.

OK. I have looked at Felder's post, because TF commented on it so it's at the top of my newsfeed. He says:

I would have been honored to have joined The Eagles last night for the Glenn Frey Tribute at the Grammys but sadly I was not invited.

The man is now utterly beneath contempt.He needs to be told to stop it, now.
Regarding Jackson Browne I realise it was hard for him, but it can't be denied that he messed up some of the lyrics.It was very hard to watch because of that. He looked as if he was crying.

How could RS say both that the performance was one of the best moments of the show & also say that it was 'deadpan'? What did they expect? In fact it wasn't deadpan. It was heartbreaking.Glenn's face should have been behind them for the entire song.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Its really hard to hear if he was describing having fun with singing harmonies on songs or having fun singing harmonies with Don. I listen to that clip a few times just a minute ago. It could be either.

I had to bring out my DVD to see what Glenn was really saying leading into that clip. I knew it was when he was describing Don, but I had to remembered where it was.

Freypower
02-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Its really hard to hear if he was describing having fun with singing harmonies on songs or having fun singing harmonies with Don. I listen to that clip a few times just a minute ago. It could be either.

I had to bring out my DVD to see what Glenn was really saying leading into that clip. I knew it was when he was describing Don, but I had to remembered where it was.

Sorry Shun. I know that interview well & that part has nothing to do with Don. He was talking about how he, Glenn, loves singing harmonies.

JennyCH
02-16-2016, 05:25 PM
Thanks Shunlvswx and Night MistBlue. I will double check that tonight because I have the Melbourne set. On TV, it was jarring and it seemed to me the sound wasn't the best. And wasn't edited well. They should've found a better soundbite from Glenn.

Anyway, they played well, Jackson appeared very emotional as if he'd been crying, Don was a little bit stoic as a lot of fellows get to keep from being emotional. I think Bernie was great with the solo and of course, the banjoing in the original.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 05:25 PM
I was just watching the clip from the Grammys again. I just notice Joe singing/mouthing the line such a fine sight to see. Makes me think of how Glenn always mouthing the words along with whoever is singing lead.

buffyfan145
02-16-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm glad that most of what I'm seeing of reaction has been positive and I'm going by my actual family and friends, my online friends, and the celebs I follow on Twitter and FB, so that's what matters to me.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Sorry Shun. I know that interview well & that part has nothing to do with Don. He was talking about how he, Glenn, loves singing harmonies.

IMO. I think the edit was bad during that part of the interview on the DVD. When you think about it. You don't know if he was still talking about Don or how he enjoyed singing harmonies with the guys. It was cool what he was saying, but I think I always confused for years about that part. I think the people at the Grammys should added that part, "just love singing with other people." Heck they probably did had that in the clip, but we didn't hear it since they had to cut into the tribute very fast.

Freypower
02-16-2016, 05:38 PM
IMO. I think the edit was bad during that part of the interview on the DVD. When you think about it. You don't know if he was still talking about Don or how he enjoyed singing harmonies with the guys. It was cool what he was saying, but I think I always confused for years about that part. I think the people at the Grammys should added that part, "just love singing with other people." Heck they probably did had that in the clip, but we didn't hear it since they had to cut into the tribute very fast.

Again I have to say, it never confused me. He says 'with other people'. He isn't talking about Don specifically there. I'm sorry but I'm not continuing with this.

Freypower
02-16-2016, 06:08 PM
I think this perhaps sums up the debacle of this year's Grammies quite well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-17/paul-mccartney-turned-away-from-grammys-afterparty/7175148

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 06:13 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-17/paul-mccartney-turned-away-from-grammys-afterparty/7175148

That's wrong on so many levels!

Witchy Woman
02-16-2016, 06:15 PM

Thanks, FP. I was just about to post this as a point regarding my previous missive that there may have been some folks who had no idea who Glenn was. Let's also not forget that some thought Kanye West was introducing the "Old guy" Paul McCartney to the world when they collaborated.