PDA

View Full Version : Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn

OutlawManNJ
02-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Look, crazier things have happened. Queen which arguably had the best voice in rock history continued performing after Freddy Mercurys death. Other bands have continued...others stopped.

Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing to tour under the name Eagles without glenn? What if they subbed him with Jackson Browne which would possibly be the only plausible substitute (not that JB would accept but Ive seen stranger things).

If that were to happen, could there be a chance that a Jackson Browne could even inject new life (new music) into the Eagles? Ill admit I always wondered why JB was never an Eagle and I would at the very least be curious. I actually enjoyed seening him playing with the band at Grammy Cerimony.

Victim of Love
02-16-2016, 11:04 AM
IMO, I simply can't envision the guys seeing their way clear to continue without Glenn. Eagles was his baby, his brainchild, and try as I may to picture someone else filling the void, there isn't a single person I can think of who could step in to fill out the roster. Add to that the times we've heard Glenn and Don state that their harmonies weren't an accident, that their sound was the result of their unique voices blending together, they would be hard-pressed to find anyone who comes close to Glenn. As much as I would love to see them continue, as much as I want to hear them again, I simply don't see a future version of them, at least not billed as "Eagles".

I also think about the fact the Glenn was the youngest of the four, and while he had long-term health issues that the others didn't (other than Timothy's cancer issue, that we know of), I think they're all confronting their own mortality and seriously reassessing what is truly most important to them, that being their families.

Those things being said, I'm hoping that in the coming months we'll be blessed with a fitting memorial to Glenn by the guys (as Irving eluded to when Glenn passed) that will include the likes of Jackson, JD, Jack Tempchin and many others and that it will be televised. Their performance at last night's Grammys was wonderful but their demeanor clearing showed that they are still processing their loss and not ready.

EaglesCN
02-16-2016, 11:10 AM
If they can go on, that's what we're looking for. But I think in recent years Don and Timothy's voice became hoarse, perhaps they sing not long, may they will choose not to continue (of course, this is not what we want to see)Although continue is a good thing,everyone has their own style, Jackson has his style. He can't replace Glenn, to tell the truth I feel since Queen has found a new lead singer, their taste has changed,maybe Jackson will replace Glenn onstage, but real Eagles has come to an end.

Outlawman13
02-16-2016, 11:48 AM
In my opinion, I think the Eagles are done! No one can replace Glenn! I can't envision Don going on without Glenn!!

GlennLover
02-16-2016, 11:57 AM
JD Souther has stated that it would be "sac religious" for the Eagles to continue without Glenn. I agree.

Brooke
02-16-2016, 12:00 PM
No. It's pretty much been alluded to that the Eagles are done. I don't think the guys would want to nor would Jackson. There are no Eagles without Glenn.

travlnman2
02-16-2016, 12:33 PM
No they are done. But have you guys ever heard of the Rossington Collins band? After the 1977 plane crash when three members of Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed including Ronnie Van Zant. Members Allen Collins and Gary Rossington went on for a little bit ine a new band with a few new members and a female singer. So I guess the guys can do something like that new faces new music new identy with the tribute to Glenn at the end of a show.

Edited I am also quite sad this is the end because I will never get to see them live. They came to my area twice but I was busy with other engagments.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Yeah - I concur with what most everyone else has written. As someone who went to see the Eagles fairly often whenever they toured, I will miss them and all of those adventures so very much. But, I would never go see the Eagles as a touring act in the future. It was gut-wrenching for me last night seeing them on stage without Glenn. Quite honestly, it seems to me that this question has been asked and answered so many times already that I don't even understand why it even keeps coming up. I guess it's possible that they could change their minds, but I would be stunned if that ever happened.

Having said that, I would probably attend any public tributes, memorials, or special events that the remaining band members choose to be a part of. I will also continue to see them solo any opportunity I get.

But, in a nutshell, the answer to the question for me is a huge, resounding ...

NO!

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 12:50 PM
No. The Eagles was Glenn's band. He was the leader, the heart and soul. There is no Eagles without both Glenn and Don in the band.

MaryCalifornia
02-16-2016, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't want to be the one to tell Don Henley he can't go out and play Eagles songs with Timothy and Joe. I guess if they want to do that, they'll have to come up with some dumb name, like some Eagles tribute band.

Tori
02-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Nah. I mean, if the band themselves decided they wanted to continue, then that's their decision. But do I want them to, or am I okay with it? No, not at all, really. Which is sad, but reality.

Freypower
02-16-2016, 04:52 PM
No they are done. But have you guys ever heard of the Rossington Collins band? After the 1977 plane crash when three members of Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed including Ronnie Van Zant. Members Allen Collins and Gary Rossington went on for a little bit ine a new band with a few new members and a female singer. So I guess the guys can do something like that new faces new music new identy with the tribute to Glenn at the end of a show.

Edited I am also quite sad this is the end because I will never get to see them live. They came to my area twice but I was busy with other engagments.

They won't do that.

The answer is NO.

sodascouts
02-16-2016, 08:32 PM
The guys would never call themselves the Eagles without Glenn. They can perform together all they like - I'm desperate for some kind of public memorial show - but the Eagles are over.

WalshFan88
02-16-2016, 09:22 PM
It won't happen. It didn't happen back when they tried to do HFO the first time and he backed out.

What I HOPE happens, is that they play together, not just solo, in some form. Like Don Henley and Joe Walsh, either as a opener+headliner or onstage together, which I'd prefer. And certainly any tribute shows with the rest of the band.

OutlawManNJ
02-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Notice my question is not if they will or wont....but if YOU would be ok with it and pay to see it.

Me? Honestly...if it were Jackson Browne i would. Im not even particularly a JB fan but he identifies so much with the Eagles...wrote their first hit! Was Freys friend and even somewhat resembles Frey in musical style and abilities. I would love to see JB in the Eagles...not necessarily doing Frey songs but creating new material. I would be way more exited about a project like that than a new Eagles album like the last one the band did.

Freypower
02-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Notice my question is not if they will or wont....but if YOU would be ok with it and pay to see it.

Me? Honestly...if it were Jackson Browne i would. Im not even particularly a JB fan but he identifies so much with the Eagles...wrote their first hit! Was Freys friend and even somewhat resembles Frey in musical style and abilities. I would love to see JB in the Eagles...not necessarily doing Frey songs but creating new material. I would be way more exited about a project like that than a new Eagles album like the last one the band did.

I said no, and I repeat, no.

If you can actually state that you can be excited about a project which would feature these musicians without Glenn Frey then I have nothing further to say.

WalshFan88
02-16-2016, 09:56 PM

No I wouldn't...I wasn't a huge fan of LROOE (I loved their newer version of How Long) but it was more an Eagles record than anything that project would ever be.

AlreadyGone95
02-17-2016, 12:24 AM
I would be OK with the guys playing together as individuals somewhere down the road, in fact, I would welcome that, but nothing to do with a band called "Eagles".

wasl89
02-17-2016, 09:54 AM
JD Souther has stated that it would be "sac religious" for the Eagles to continue without Glenn. I agree.

That's the way I think about it, there's no Eagles without Glenn. It's really sad to realise that :cry:

Elizasong
02-18-2016, 11:27 PM
No Glenn = No Eagles

sodascouts
02-18-2016, 11:35 PM
No Glenn = No Eagles

Amen.

So to answer the question directly....

NO.

chaim
02-19-2016, 06:19 AM
They would never continue as the Eagles, but my answer to the actual question is "no, I wouldn't be ok with it".

I'm not referring to OutlawManNJ and other people who are fans enough to have joined this forum, but I think there are a lot of people out there who raise this subject who don't know how much Glenn contributed to the band - also stuff that we don't actually see. Arranging vocal harmonies...It's been said that he was there suggesting parts when his band mates were figuring out their own parts. So Glenn didn't just come up with his own parts. He was overseeing the overall process in many ways - live as well as in the pre-production rehearsals and studio. Although with YES something like that happened when Trevor Rabin took Jon Anderson's place as the "overseer". But YES was a totally different band in the 80's, and they weren't even going to call themselves YES. That came "from the above". And Queen...I don't think they have actually operated as "Queen" in decades. As far as I know it's always "Queen with some singer". There's a difference IMO. Personally I don't care for that - especially when John Deacon isn't there either.

sodascouts
02-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Yes, and right now Queen is touring with a former reality show contestant as their front man. I wouldn't use them as an exemplar of what the remaining Eagles should aspire to. The Eagles were selling out stadiums right up until the end. There's no way to go but down without Glenn.

Much classier to go the way of the Beatles and just hang it up, and I daresay that's what they'll do. It's not as if they need the money. Even Tim, who very rarely does solo shows, has made enough money over the past 15+ years to set him for life. I think the only reason Irving Azoff was hesitant to come out and say the Eagles were over after Glenn's death was because he didn't want to speak for them.

Judging from what I've seen, you'd be hard-pressed to find hardcores who are "OK with the Eagles continuing without Glenn." Maybe casual fans, but I think even those might not want to shell out top dollar for the Eagles with another singer like Jackson Browne. As talented as Jackson is, he's not an Eagle, and when I heard the other guys harmonizing with him, it sounded completely off. Don't get me wrong - it was fitting he sing the song at the Grammy tribute - but to become Glenn's replacement in the Eagles? No.

Of course, this is all theoretical, so I'm not going to expend a great deal of energy debating it. The odds of this actually happening are slim to none.

Jonny Come Lately
02-20-2016, 06:07 AM
I'm another who thinks that the band shouldn't continue without Glenn. The more I think about it, the more impossible it is to imagine them performing without him. There are far too many important songs that would have to be sung by someone else or ignored entirely, and that is looking at it from a simplistic and purely practical level.

While I can definitely understand the comparison with The Beatles, I feel Led Zeppelin is a better parallel as the band ended after the death of John Bonham. I think part of the reason why Plant refuses to reunite the band for love or money is that he wouldn't truly consider it to be Zeppelin without Bonham (who he had been friends with before they'd even joined the band). They quite even though he was not as important to Zep as Glenn was to the Eagles - Bonham was a fantastic drummer, but he didn't write songs, sing lead, do arrangements or talk to the audience during shows.

Another 'avoid' scenario to me is The Beach Boys, where Mike Love hired disparate musicians and in some cases non-musicians in place of the Wilson brothers who I consider to be the true heart and soul of the band. I sincerely hope that we never see a band like that under the 'Eagles' name.

The only thing that slightly tempers it for me is that I never got to see the Eagles live, but even then, I know it would simply not be the same without Glenn. I have resolved to try and make sure I can see Don and/or Joe if the chance arises (hope so!).

maryc2130
02-20-2016, 08:30 AM
No. Especially after the performance at the Grammys. It just didn't seem right at all without Glenn, But even before then, my answer would have been no.

Maybe if they were 20-30 years younger, I would hope that they would reform under another name with an additional member or two, but these guys are so close to retirement now. And the Eagles without Glenn? A resounding NO!

NOLA
02-20-2016, 11:16 AM
NO! IMO, the Eagles died along with Glenn on 18 January. Sorry if that sounds so harsh, but I don't know how to put it any other way. Too depressing to think about it. :(

Funk 50
02-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Would I be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn?

Of Course, I'd be delighted!

I've been a Walsh fan for 40 years and an Eagles fan for 36, buying all their records and attending many concerts, both band and solo. I'm not going to abandon them now.

I don't know if they will continue or not. They've gone through a number of considered line-up changes over time, while remaining super successful.
They've still got Irving to mobilize them. Although Don has said that he'd be fine with the Eagles stopping after the HOTE tour, he may wish to have a band career as well as a solo career.

Would they miss playing the sold out arenas they've been playing since HFO?

Publicly Glenn did say to the fans "If you keep paying, we'll keep playing" and he told Bernie before the final encore of the last Eagles concert that "this is not the end"

I'm not sure if the Eagles would continue without Glenn's blessing. He may have encouraged or discouraged his band mates to carrying on without him before he died.

Either way I'm looking forward to future projects from Joe, Don and Tim, Bernie and Randy too, in the future. If they work together, I'd be especially happy. :smile:

Momma Tee
02-20-2016, 02:39 PM
I totally agree with Soda....it was completely appropriate for JB to perform with them and sing lead on the Grammys since they co-wrote the song and were actually friends. In addition, he played an integral role in teaching Glenn how to write. Just think about all the wonderful songs Glenn gave us as a result! But, JB could never replace the smoothness of Glenn's voice nor do I really think he would want to. He has always been a solo artist with his own style. In my opinion, I think the sorrow remains for so many fans because we know in our hearts that it's the end of an era. I don't think the guys would even consider it without Glenn. It was always his dream brought to life when he met Don with the support of Linda R. They are all set financially and losing Glenn has reminded them what's truly important. They should spend their time enjoying life with their families and friends! HOWEVER, I remain hopeful that they will have some form of tribute performance for the fans whether it's a special DVD or maybe special concert(s) strategically located such as West coast, East coast and South (Atlanta). After the Grammy performance and the tribute at the Troubadour, I've wondered WHO could even attempt to sing with them. So, just think about this....a combined showcase. It could include the people who helped write some of the hits, and they could share tidbits about the thoughts and writing process they shared with Glenn for each song such as JB, Tempchin, JD, etc. They could use some of the artists from the Common Threads cd since it sounded great and played such a huge role in getting them back together especially the video. That cd contained the majority of their hits and many of the artists shared an actual connection with Glenn like Travis Tritt and Vince Gill. Most of all, the only thing that could make it PERFECT would be to have his son play an integral part of the performance! I wonder if his voice has the same tone or suited for some of Glenn's solo stuff? Speaking for myself, I would pay an embarrassing amount of money for the tickets/travel to share in a once-in-a-lifetime moment especially knowing this would likely be their final performance. I know they aren't concerned about the fans and certainly don't need the money. I just think it may be nice for his family, band mates, friends and the MEDIA to see how much he is truly loved and missed. Not only would it gives his fans a way to share their grief and gain some form of closure, it would be a testament to the world he does matter and that HIS MUSIC WILL LIVE ON through the fans! Every time I listen at work, in my car or watch a DVD, it will be like he is still with us which will make me smile as I sing along! MusicForAllTime❣

sodascouts
02-20-2016, 08:57 PM
That sounds interesting, MT. I just want something, ANYTHING, I can participate in!

02-20-2016, 09:58 PM
I totally agree with Soda....it was completely appropriate for JB to perform with them and sing lead on the Grammys since they co-wrote the song and were actually friends. In addition, he played an integral role in teaching Glenn how to write. Just think about all the wonderful songs Glenn gave us as a result! But, JB could never replace the smoothness of Glenn's voice nor do I really think he would want to. He has always been a solo artist with his own style. In my opinion, I think the sorrow remains for so many fans because we know in our hearts that it's the end of an era. I don't think the guys would even consider it without Glenn. It was always his dream brought to life when he met Don with the support of Linda R. They are all set financially and losing Glenn has reminded them what's truly important. They should spend their time enjoying life with their families and friends! HOWEVER, I remain hopeful that they will have some form of tribute performance for the fans whether it's a special DVD or maybe special concert(s) strategically located such as West coast, East coast and South (Atlanta). After the Grammy performance and the tribute at the Troubadour, I've wondered WHO could even attempt to sing with them. So, just think about this....a combined showcase. It could include the people who helped write some of the hits, and they could share tidbits about the thoughts and writing process they shared with Glenn for each song such as JB, Tempchin, JD, etc. They could use some of the artists from the Common Threads cd since it sounded great and played such a huge role in getting them back together especially the video. That cd contained the majority of their hits and many of the artists shared an actual connection with Glenn like Travis Tritt and Vince Gill. Most of all, the only thing that could make it PERFECT would be to have his son play an integral part of the performance! I wonder if his voice has the same tone or suited for some of Glenn's solo stuff? Speaking for myself, I would pay an embarrassing amount of money for the tickets/travel to share in a once-in-a-lifetime moment especially knowing this would likely be their final performance. I know they aren't concerned about the fans and certainly don't need the money. I just think it may be nice for his family, band mates, friends and the MEDIA to see how much he is truly loved and missed. Not only would it gives his fans a way to share their grief and gain some form of closure, it would be a testament to the world he does matter and that HIS MUSIC WILL LIVE ON through the fans! Every time I listen at work, in my car or watch a DVD, it will be like he is still with us which will make me smile as I sing along! MusicForAllTime❣

MT - Once again, I totally agree with you. You have a beautiful way of stating things that are what many of us are thinking.

And I especially hope that Deacon will be a part of any other tributes or shows done in Glenn's memory. I've seen him perform with Glenn on a couple of occasions when he was quite a bit younger and he has a lot of talent. I know it would be a lot of pressure on him to try to fill his father's shoes and he may not even be interested in pursuing a musical career, but, as I said, I sure hope he will participate in future tributes to some extent.

Elizasong
02-22-2016, 12:06 AM
Yes, and right now Queen is touring with a former reality show contestant as their front man. I wouldn't use them as an exemplar of what the remaining Eagles should aspire to. The Eagles were selling out stadiums right up until the end. There's no way to go but down without Glenn.

Much classier to go the way of the Beatles and just hang it up, and I daresay that's what they'll do. It's not as if they need the money. Even Tim, who very rarely does solo shows, has made enough money over the past 15+ years to set him for life. I think the only reason Irving Azoff was hesitant to come out and say the Eagles were over after Glenn's death was because he didn't want to speak for them.

Judging from what I've seen, you'd be hard-pressed to find hardcores who are "OK with the Eagles continuing without Glenn." Maybe casual fans, but I think even those might not want to shell out top dollar for the Eagles with another singer like Jackson Browne. As talented as Jackson is, he's not an Eagle, and when I heard the other guys harmonizing with him, it sounded completely off. Don't get me wrong - it was fitting he sing the song at the Grammy tribute - but to become Glenn's replacement in the Eagles? No.

Of course, this is all theoretical, so I'm not going to expend a great deal of energy debating it. The odds of this actually happening are slim to none.

to continue on this point, INXS has tried to have different lead singers and IMO with no success. Even Nirvana knew they were done once Kurt Cobain died.

Mrs Frey
02-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Hi Everyone

I'm embarrassed to say that this is my first post here in just over 3 years. I just wish that it was under different circumstances.

I never considered that Glenn :heart: would leave us so soon. It will take me a while to process his passing. I have not got my head around it yet.

Watching the remaining Eagles with Jackson Browne at the Grammys was strange, to say the least. It finally confirmed in my mind that Glenn :heart: is gone, if I had had up until that point any weird doubts.

I cannot envision the band going forth without their principal member. It would be like The Beatles without John Lennon. Based on personal experience, as soon as a band member leaves any band, the dynamic changes. The Eagles themselves were very fortunate to have replaced members successfully in their career, i.e. Timothy for Randy and Joe for Bernie. However, replacing Glenn :heart: is not possible. There is no substitute for him. As has been said many times over: he was the reason the Eagles came into existence. And he contributed so much more to the band than just his musical abilities.

Glenn :heart: was extraordinary. I am just thankful that I got to see him perform once in my lifetime, and it was one of the most amazing nights of my life. A wonderful musician, singer, leader and person. My life is richer for having been touched by his music and the wonderful person he was. RIP Glenn :heart:. RIP Eagles. :(

Prettymaid
02-22-2016, 07:50 AM
Welcome back, Mrs. Frey. Well said. :grouphug:

sodascouts
02-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Hello again, MF! I appreciate how so many of those who have been gone a while have been moved to come back to give thoughts about Glenn, even if it's just for a short while (although I hope it's for more).

Mrs Frey
02-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words, PM and Soda. My thoughts have always been with all of you - life has just been taking over, I'm afraid. I will try and post more often, though. Love you all. xxx

02-22-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm also glad to have you back, MF. We've missed you. This past month has been a sad one for sure, but like Soda said, it shows how much Glenn was loved when you read the thousands of heartfelt comments that have been posted here. It is my hope that this board will be around for years to come, whether active or not, and be an ongoing source of comfort to Glenn's fans, friends, and maybe even family to see all of the out-pouring of emotions by so many when he passed.

Brooke
02-22-2016, 11:53 AM
MF, great to hear from you again! Missed ya! Thanks for your kind thoughts about Glenn.

MT, love your idea! I think that would be really nice.

GlennLover
02-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Welcome back, MF! Nice to hear from you! :grin:

SoaringRockyMountainWay
02-22-2016, 03:19 PM
I would not be ok with the Eagles going on without Glenn. It just wouldn't be the same. Its not really the Eagles without Glenn. Like HOTE said, the relationship between Don and Glenn was the soul of the band.

Freypower
02-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm embarrassed to say that this is my first post here in just over 3 years. I just wish that it was under different circumstances.

I never considered that Glenn :heart: would leave us so soon. It will take me a while to process his passing. I have not got my head around it yet.

Watching the remaining Eagles with Jackson Browne at the Grammys was strange, to say the least. It finally confirmed in my mind that Glenn :heart: is gone, if I had had up until that point any weird doubts.

I cannot envision the band going forth without their principal member. It would be like The Beatles without John Lennon. Based on personal experience, as soon as a band member leaves any band, the dynamic changes. The Eagles themselves were very fortunate to have replaced members successfully in their career, i.e. Timothy for Randy and Joe for Bernie. However, replacing Glenn :heart: is not possible. There is no substitute for him. As has been said many times over: he was the reason the Eagles came into existence. And he contributed so much more to the band than just his musical abilities.

Glenn :heart: was extraordinary. I am just thankful that I got to see him perform once in my lifetime, and it was one of the most amazing nights of my life. A wonderful musician, singer, leader and person. My life is richer for having been touched by his music and the wonderful person he was. RIP Glenn :heart:. RIP Eagles. :(

It's nice to have you back MF. :wave:

randysgirl
02-22-2016, 05:01 PM
JB singing at the Grammy's was very appropriate. I would guess that Glenn would have wanted it that way but I don't see JB stepping in and joining the Eagles. These guys are all older men and certainly don't need the money. What is hard for Eagles' fans is to lose or rather let go of the Eagles as a group. They were a huge part of our growing up years. Their superb music will always be with us.

Mrs Frey
02-23-2016, 02:29 AM
Dreamer, Brooke, GL and FP, thank you so much for your kind words. It's nice to be back. You are all special. :grouphug: