PDA

View Full Version : Memorial for Glenn at The Forum 2/16/16

MaryCalifornia
02-17-2016, 11:30 AM
It is apparent from Eagles kids' social media that some sort of memorial was held for Glenn last night at the Forum. "GF" heart pendants were involved. Anyone else see this?

Edit: It's not a heart, its a guitar pick

NightMistBlue
02-17-2016, 11:36 AM
Oh, gosh. I was hoping it would be public, but of course it's perfectly understandable his friends and family would need their privacy at this time.

scottside
02-17-2016, 01:18 PM
My boss's son works for Clair Global, the outfit that does the live sound for the Eagles. While at work yesterday, my boss said that his son (David) was doing sound for some sort of Eagles tribute at the Forum in California last night. He didn't know anything else about it except that it was last night. I wasn't sure if he had the date right or not, but now that this has come up, I guess it was not a rumor or missed communication of some sort.

aphcook8
02-17-2016, 01:22 PM
I saw on Twitter that Paul Stanley of Kiss said "Attended a moving/joyous memorial for Glenn Frey. A huge loss. Amazing Eagles music&beautiful speech from Don Henley" . . .maybe he was at this memorial.

JennyCH
02-17-2016, 01:46 PM
It is apparent from Eagles kids' social mediathat some sort of memorial was held for Glenn last night at the Forum. "GF" heart pendants were involved. Anyone else see this?

Is this a message board or you mean the offspring of Eagles members (Eaglets)? Anyway, wow, I'm surprised also. I wonder if they taped the event.

MaryCalifornia
02-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Eaglets.

Welcome APHCook

shunlvswx
02-17-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm starting to think we might not get to see to a public tribute for Glenn. I do understand they wanted a private memorial for Glenn. Maybe later down the road they will do a public tribute to Glenn when the time is right. I would had loved to hear what Don had said at the memorial. I know I probably would had been crying as he talked about his brother/partner/friend.

buffyfan145
02-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Oh wow, I was wondering when they were going to have it too. I had a feeling it would be private but I think they might do a public tribute concert. I just saw one got announced for David Bowie in New York March 31 and April 1st and a lot of musicians and bands are confirming they'll be taking part in it. So I've been thinking too they might do the same for Glenn later this year.

Freypower
02-17-2016, 06:26 PM
That is my hope. These things take time to arrange.

Glennhoney
02-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Indeed, I have seen a few "messages" today stating there was a memorial for Glenn last night...and that Don had delivered a very moving eulogy....

GlennLover
02-17-2016, 08:09 PM
This must be the event that was referred to in my post in the Glenn in the press thread. This was my post:
Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.
I got this in a Google alert. It's from the Naples News. It's an article about what pro golfers are doing before the next PGA championship event. http://www.naplesnews.com/sports/gol...368784471.html

The relevant part is: "Andrade will make a special trip to Los Angeles next week to deliver a eulogy at the memorial service for Glenn Frey of the Eagles."

Are they letting the cat out of the bag?

MaryCalifornia
02-17-2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks everybody. We seem to have enough collective evidence to determine this was in fact a memorial service. I'd like to change the name of the thread to "February 16, 2016 Memorial for Glenn at the Forum" or something similar, but I don't know how - can a moderator help?

I'm off to instagram to see if there are any additional #ripglennfrey tags from yesterday...

It would be nice to see the program from the memorial. If anyone reading this who has a copy could send it to Sodascouts, Glenn's fans would greatly appreciate it.

Prettymaid
02-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Thank you, GL. I remember reading your post and assuming then that Glenn's memorial service would be sometime this week. I was grateful to learn that. However, I had no idea that his private memorial would include musical performances. I thought, naively, that the music would come later, in a more public concert. I'm still hoping for something for us down the road.

I'm thankful Glenn's friends and family were able to perhaps get some closure with what sounds like a wonderful memorial.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Thread name changed, MC.

And thanks everyone for the info - I said in another thread that it made sense for the memorial service to be held this week. If they had to use The Forum for this private service, I guess that's a testament to how many friends Glenn had. Wow!

Elizasong
02-17-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm curious as to how people find this out. I would think his children's social media would be private.

Thanks for sharing and I hope he had a great send off that he deserved.

Tori
02-17-2016, 09:46 PM
Agreed, and I'm curious - how'd we find this out? You'd think their kids' social media would all be set to private. (Sidenote: are we calling them Eaglets now? because I LOVE IT.)

I hope he got a good send-off for his friends and family in private, as well. He totally deserves it.

MaryCalifornia
02-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Some eaglets accounts are public, some are private. I requested to follow the private and was accepted.

Tori
02-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Some eaglets accounts are public, some are private. I requested to follow the private and was accepted.

Huh, that's interesting and pretty cool that you got accepted!

sad-cafe
02-17-2016, 10:23 PM
I wish it had been like MJ's tribute

I love The Eagles and will sorely miss them

Elizasong
02-17-2016, 10:54 PM
Wow! That's interesting.

shunlvswx
02-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Paul Stanley was there and he tweeted that he was at Glenn's memorial service and another guy who's name escapes me post on his facebook about being at Glenn's memorial service last night.

sodascouts
02-17-2016, 11:54 PM
Actually, I think it would be better if we avoided posting stuff from their private accounts on here. If it's a public account, then that's OK. If it's not a public account... I think it's private for a reason.

AlreadyGone95
02-18-2016, 12:15 AM
Here's an article about the memorial.
http://www.gold1043.com.au/entertainment/music-news/glenn-frey-la-memorial#6UDmqSYwEqpPl4Uc.01

Momma Tee
02-18-2016, 12:31 AM
I totally understand and respect that his family and close friends need their privacy to grieve and celebrate their loved one. He meant SO much more in their lives as husband, father, and dear friend. In a separate role, I believe that the fans need to be able to share in some form of memorial to acknowledge the huge impact he made on the "soundtrack of our lives". I totally agree that how the fans are feeling isn't a matter of importance at this time and shouldn't be a matter of concern. But, I hope they realize that we all feel his loss in ways we could never have imagined. With the lack of tributes in the media, Rolling Stone, the Grammys, etc, we need to hear SOMETHING moving about him! I know that I NEED to know that I'm really not crazy to feel this way. I would love to hear someone else close to him acknowledge that we are right to feel so devastated about this person we have never even met. I certainly don't mean to insinuate that his fans should ever be allowed to violate that inner sanctum of their private lives. I just hope they realize that the fans need to honor him and the impact he continues to have on our lives in some way too. I'm not suggesting a concert or memorial service necessarily. I would be happy to buy a dvd so I can cry in private too! Just my opinion.... :'(

sodascouts
02-18-2016, 12:47 AM
ITA Momma Tee.

And AG, thanks for posting that link. It sounds like a wonderful tribute.

UndertheWire
02-18-2016, 06:40 AM
I'm so glad that they have held the memorial and that it was "joyous and moving". It seems right that his friends and family were able to celebrate Glenn's life without worrying about media intrusion.

I hope that in time, Don Henley will write about Glenn for the fans.

DivineDon
02-18-2016, 11:07 AM
I hope that in time, Don Henley will write about Glenn for the fans.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for too. I know it was private but as a fan I'd just love to hear Don's speech because he is just so eloquent -

... if there isn't going to be any more Eagles tours then maybe Don will get to write his autobiography and dedicate it to Glenn :)

(and clear up a lot of issues regarding Mr. F!!!)

buffyfan145
02-18-2016, 11:19 AM
It sounds like it was lovely. I'm glad they were able to have that in private too. I also agree that there will be something for us fans too. I do feel like they might do a tribute concert similar to how we've seen about other artists (George Harrison, now David Bowie) but they still need time to figure all that out.

Brooke
02-18-2016, 11:43 AM
It sounds like it was a wonderful memorial. I would love to have been there, but I do understand that this was for his friends and business associates. Obviously, Glenn was loved by a great many people to have been held at the Forum!

I hope the fans get something, but I'm not so sure we will now.

OntheBorder74
02-18-2016, 11:53 AM
They've been so private and tight lipped about oh so many things it makes sense they do a closed doors memorial, our public one was the Americana Associations tribute so I'm satisfied with that one and hopefully later in the year when these wounds heal a bit more the Eagles do their own official tribute for the fans, until then I accept this. My only hope is we get to hear the Troubadour one, need to hea ATTIg and Ol55, etc one more time.

UndertheWire
02-18-2016, 12:06 PM
I always thought it would be at The Forum, given that Irving was making the arrangements and he'd said it was going to be big.

MaryCalifornia
02-18-2016, 12:12 PM
...and that James Dolan owns the Forum, I'm sure he was there. I'm hoping the Straight Shot did not provide music.

NightMistBlue
02-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Isn't it weird that the only news source so far has been a radio station in Australia?

02-18-2016, 02:21 PM
I totally understand and respect that his family and close friends need their privacy to grieve and celebrate their loved one. He meant SO much more in their lives as husband, father, and dear friend. In a separate role, I believe that the fans need to be able to share in some form of memorial to acknowledge the huge impact he made on the "soundtrack of our lives". I totally agree that how the fans are feeling isn't a matter of importance at this time and shouldn't be a matter of concern. But, I hope they realize that we all feel his loss in ways we could never have imagined. With the lack of tributes in the media, Rolling Stone, the Grammys, etc, we need to hear SOMETHING moving about him! I know that I NEED to know that I'm really not crazy to feel this way. I would love to hear someone else close to him acknowledge that we are right to feel so devastated about this person we have never even met. I certainly don't mean to insinuate that his fans should ever be allowed to violate that inner sanctum of their private lives. I just hope they realize that the fans need to honor him and the impact he continues to have on our lives in some way too. I'm not suggesting a concert or memorial service necessarily. I would be happy to buy a dvd so I can cry in private too! Just my opinion.... :'(

Well said, MT. I feel exactly the same way too.

Brooke
02-18-2016, 03:07 PM
...and that James Dolan owns the Forum, I'm sure he was there. I'm hoping the Straight Shot did not provide music.

Yikes, me too! :lol:

buffyfan145
02-18-2016, 05:19 PM
I've seen some other articles about it now on Twitter including this one (http://wcsx.com/2016/02/18/private-tribute-to-glenn-frey/) from WCSX the classic rock station in Detroit who helped get Glenn Frey Drive passed. Has some details one who performed and were there.

JennyCH
02-18-2016, 05:58 PM

LOL to Eaglets. All respect to them as many of the "Eaglets" are actually out of the nest and flying around. :)

MommaTee, so well stated and my thoughts exactly.

buffyfan145
02-18-2016, 10:12 PM
The Detroit Free Press had more about the memorial in their article on Glenn Frey Drive as they spoke with one of Glenn's cousins who still lives in Royal Oak and was at the memorial. Apparently Glenn's son Deacon started the memorial performing "Take it Easy", and Joe Walsh has written a new song for Glenn and performed it there.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/02/18/glenn-frey-drive-sign-unveiled-royal-oak-ceremony/80572000/

Prettymaid
02-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Oh, how I'd love to hear Joe's new song that he sang at Glenn's memorial!

Glennhoney
02-18-2016, 10:23 PM
Oh God....heart wrenching..

AlreadyGone95
02-18-2016, 10:28 PM
A new song from Joe and Deacon playing Take It Easy.... wow. I'm glad to learn about these little tidbits, but they do make me sad. :(

Freypower
02-18-2016, 10:34 PM

So would I.

Momma Tee
02-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Just reading about his son singing "Take It Easy" and Joe's new song have the tears falling again. I can only imagine how emotional it must have been in person! Maybe that's what has kept me in this emotional state? The only release I've been able to find is here or on various FB pages where other fans have shared their sorrow. I know I would pay any amount to attend an event or concert to honor Glenn. Despite what the music industry or media outlets think, we recognize that his amazing talent and sound will never be matched! I know it's crazy, but when I'm listening to their music or watching the DVDs, I'm able to tune out the reality that he's really gone. It makes my world a much happier place for just a little while longer! :'}

shunlvswx
02-18-2016, 11:45 PM
I don't know how Joe and Deacon got through that especially Deacon. Any of the guys getting through their songs they sung and Don's speech. I thought that was sweet that he played guitar on Take It Easy with JD and probably sang with JD.

I wonder what's the name of the song Joe wrote for Glenn and I wonder one day we will hear it.

Elizasong
02-18-2016, 11:49 PM

I have a feeling at some point we'll hear Joe's song.

LuvTim
02-18-2016, 11:52 PM
I have a feeling at some point we'll hear Joe's song.

I hope so.

sodascouts
02-19-2016, 12:00 AM
I'm betting we will, too. Whenever he plays that song, he honors Glenn. I think it would be important to Joe that it be heard by as many people as possible. I know I want to hear it, badly.

shunlvswx
02-19-2016, 12:46 AM
Whenever Joe start back touring, he probably will put that song in his set and somebody in the audience will probably put it up on Youtube.

chaim
02-19-2016, 04:43 AM
It's great to hear that Don spoke - and without even glancing at his notes. I don't know if this is the right time and place to say this, but the fact that Paul Stanley was there makes me wonder how private it was. As far as I know Paul and Glenn never collaborated musically and they weren't friends. But if everyone who was there was invited, they must have had some kind of a connection. (Sorry for this, but as a KISS fan I'm interested in Paul being there)

anne_m
02-19-2016, 11:06 AM
It is apparent from Eagles kids' social media that some sort of memorial was held for Glenn last night at the Forum. "GF" heart pendants were involved. Anyone else see this?

Edit: It's not a heart, its a guitar pick

Whose other children have social media? I only follow Owen because she's public. If you wouldn't mind sending me their names (privately if you want), that would be cool!

Brooke
02-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Oh wow, I'm loving that Deacon did TIE! That must have been so hard for him!

And yes, I want to hear Joe's new song too! I bet we will eventually.

And I'm sure Don's speech was amazing! It had to be hard for all those that spoke or sang. :cry:

I wish we could get some pictures.

buffyfan145
02-19-2016, 11:46 AM
I agree that I think we'll hear Joe's song too. Kind of reminds me how Paul McCartney wrote his song "Here Today" after John Lennon died and how he performs that in his concerts for John, as well as covering "Something" for George (both made me cry when I saw Paul's concert). It really must have been hard for Deacon too.

As for Paul Stanley, the article I posted from WCSX made it sound like they somewhat knew each other through Bob Seger.

AlreadyGone95
02-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Regarding Paul Stanley, I know that I've seen this photo in the Frey Fever thread before. I know nothing about where it was taken, though, except what Paul wrote on twitter with the photo. Perhaps, Soda, Dreamer or FP may know more.(Paul's twitter post was the first photo to pop up on Google, so I used it)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/Mobile%20Uploads/glenn_frey_twitter_8_1453141162_zpscrzvx8tk.png

UndertheWire
02-19-2016, 11:58 AM
It was the RRHOF when Glenn was there to induct Linda Ronstadt.

02-19-2016, 12:09 PM
I concur with everyone about wanting to hear Joe's song and I also agree that we will get to hear it eventually.

If we do get anymore memorials for Glenn, I would definitely expect Deacon to participate. As difficult as it must have been for him, I bet he didn't hesitate for a second to do this honor for his dad.

And I'm afraid I can't shed any light on Glenn's and Paul's friendship other than we know they were acquainted with one another.

shunlvswx
02-19-2016, 12:23 PM
I remembered seeing the picture of Paul and Glenn at the RnR HoF in 2014 and I was like, "Hmm. Interesting. A Kiss and an Eagle. How do they know each other?"

When Glenn died, Gene Simmons was on one of the news channel talking about Glenn and it seem like he was friends with Glenn. Glenn either knew or were friends with Kiss.

SilverAcidRayne
02-19-2016, 12:37 PM
i'm an emotional mess once again. I love how everyone came together. especially his son. I would have done the same thing. hell my brother and my sister sang at my mother's funeral couple years back. so for his son to step up makes me very proud.

E-7
02-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Oh wow, I'm loving that Deacon did TIE! That must have been so hard for him!

And yes, I want to hear Joe's new song too! I bet we will eventually.

And I'm sure Don's speech was amazing! It had to be hard for all those that spoke or sang. :cry:

I wish we could get some pictures.

Deacon actually sang Peaceful Easy Feeling. No one performed TIE. No photos were taken at the event. Don's speech was touching. Joe broke down while performing his song while playing piano and there was not a dry eye in the house. Just though I would share.

shunlvswx
02-20-2016, 12:31 AM
Aww. I want to hug Joe.

Prettymaid
02-20-2016, 12:45 AM
Deacon actually sang Peaceful Easy Feeling. No one performed TIE. No photos were taken at the event. Don's speech was touching. Joe broke down while performing his song while playing piano and there was not a dry eye in the house. Just though I would share.

Hi E7 and welcome. Were you there?

DivineDon
02-20-2016, 05:00 AM
Aw poor Joe...is it selfish of me to really want to hear Don's speech? ??

shunlvswx
02-20-2016, 09:32 AM
No, DD. I think a lot of us wanted to hear Don's speech and also Joe's song he wrote for Glenn. Then he played the piano. I can see why their wasn't a dry eye in the house. Other than seeing him playing the organ in concert, I've never heard Joe playing the piano by himself with no one else accompanying him.

E-7
02-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi E7 and welcome. Were you there?

Thank you. Yes I was there.

Prettymaid
02-20-2016, 10:06 AM

It's so nice to have somebody here who was actually there. Can you say approximately how many people were in attendance?

sodascouts
02-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Welcome! Thanks for sharing more info. We're all desperate for details about the event honoring a man we admired so much.

NOLA
02-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Thank you for sharing your experiences, E-7. Would love to have heard Don's and Joe's moving tributes, too.

SilverAcidRayne
02-20-2016, 11:18 AM
those poor men. wow...

buffyfan145
02-20-2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks for sharing that E-7. I can't even imagine how emotional it was.

02-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Thank you so much for this information, E-7. As others have said, for us fans that loved and admired Glenn so much, his passing has hit us very hard. This past month has been extremely emotional and sad. Many of us are grief-stricken, and, while we totally understand and respect the family's need for privacy, it makes it even more difficult for us to have to mourn his loss from the outside. I'm sure all of us would be extremely grateful for any information about the service that you would feel comfortable sharing with us.

chaim
02-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Indeed, great to hear something from someone who was there. I can't even imagine what it was like when Joe performed his song. It's obvious that he loved Glenn very much and vice versa.

AlreadyGone95
02-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks from me as well, E-7. It's nice to learn more about the memorial.

tequila mockingbird
02-20-2016, 02:29 PM
It's a melancholy dichotomy that often in absence we find the full grace of presence. Part of me is glad that the memorial was so private. I think his family and friends deserve a sacred space to grieve his loss and celebrate his life.

Elizasong
02-20-2016, 02:34 PM
It's a melancholy dichotomy that often in absence we find the full grace of presence. Part of me is glad that the memorial was so private. I think his family and friends deserve a sacred space to grieve his loss and celebrate his life.

I agree. As much as we want our closure it is important for them as a family in private to have that.

UndertheWire
02-20-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm glad there are no photos because even well-known people should be allowed to be sad or cry without the world looking on.

However, I'd like to know what Stevie Wonder sang.

shunlvswx
02-20-2016, 03:16 PM
I wonder what the connection between Glenn and Stevie Wonder. I know Stevie sang on Don's song Nobody Else In the World But You, but I wonder about him and Glenn.

Momma Tee
02-20-2016, 03:38 PM
As a fellow newbie, welcome E-7! I hope you find a connection with others who share the same love and sorrow. I'm sure we all share the same heartfelt concern and would cherish ANY insight you can provide about the memorial. The loss of this amazing, talented man has resulted in behavior considered by others to be somewhat obsessive. But, I believe it's because we recognize the impact he had and sadly realize that their beautiful harmony can never be replaced. We were truly blessed to experience it in our lifetime! Music ForAllTime ❣

Glennhoney
02-20-2016, 03:42 PM
THANK YOU so much E-7 for sharing some little tidbits of the memorial...I'm sure it was everything it should have been...private, personal, touching and beautiful...for a very worthy man....:inlove:

Freypower
02-20-2016, 04:39 PM
I wonder what the connection between Glenn and Stevie Wonder. I know Stevie sang on Don's song Nobody Else In the World But You, but I wonder about him and Glenn.

Both from Detroit? Glenn also sang on NEITWBY. Perhaps they met then.

I would like to know what Randy Newman sang.

chaim
02-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Both from Detroit? Glenn also sang on NEITWBY. Perhaps they met then.

I would like to know what Randy Newman sang.

Indeed.

Glennsallnighter
02-20-2016, 06:48 PM

I would agree with you in this Momma Tee. I think you are expressing very well what many of us are thinking, but find too emotional to put into words.

Glennsallnighter
02-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Just reading about his son singing "Take It Easy" and Joe's new song have the tears falling again. I can only imagine how emotional it must have been in person! Maybe that's what has kept me in this emotional state? The only release I've been able to find is here or on various FB pages where other fans have shared their sorrow. I know I would pay any amount to attend an event or concert to honor Glenn. Despite what the music industry or media outlets think, we recognize that his amazing talent and sound will never be matched! I know it's crazy, but when I'm listening to their music or watching the DVDs, I'm able to tune out the reality that he's really gone. It makes my world a much happier place for just a little while longer! :'}

Pretty much how I feel too Momma. I know that there are plenty of people out there that are close to me but that feel I should have gotten over this by now. Its the support of the this Border and its members, the various FB groups and a few of my very close friends that understand what I am going through and just how hard it is to pick myself up and move on. I was driving into the city last night to collect my husband who was working and I had my iphone on shuffle. POMPOY came on. I held on for a while until 'Look at me I'm running out of time'. Then I lost it. Its as well it was dark so nobody saw me sobbing as I drove. Then Brave New World came on. That comforted me in a strange way.

'Dont worry Darlin' It will all be over soon. Remember you will always be my girl. Somehow you will find the strength to stand up on you own. Here in this Brave New World'

Without you Glenn :heart: its certainly a new world.

Glennsallnighter
02-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Welcome E-& and thank you for sharing your information.

UndertheWire
02-20-2016, 07:11 PM
http://www.stillmusic.com/?p=1940

shunlvswx
02-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Awww. Old Black. :weep: Its fitting to put a picture of Old Black somewhere on the program obituary. His trusty guitar he had with him through thick and thin for over 45 years.

That's a cute. I don't know what that is. A pendant, a keychain?

Momma Tee
02-20-2016, 07:24 PM
http://www.stillmusic.com/?p=1940

This link contains a great tribute to Glenn! Thanks for sharing!

AlreadyGone95
02-20-2016, 07:25 PM
How fitting that Old Black is on the front page of the memorial program!

Prettymaid
02-20-2016, 09:33 PM

"He was a Big Deal guy."

LOVE THAT.

E-7
02-21-2016, 10:34 PM
It's so nice to have somebody here who was actually there. Can you say approximately how many people were in attendance?

I would estimate about 500

NightMistBlue
02-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Thank you so much, E-7.

NightMistBlue
02-22-2016, 10:32 AM

It's "just" the photos, right? Or is there more content that I'm missing?

GlennLover
02-22-2016, 11:00 AM
It's "just" the photos, right? Or is there more content that I'm missing?

NMB, you have to clock on the "Glenn Frey" link to the right under "Latest Posts" to see the tribute. I had trouble finding it too.

02-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Love the program pictures and I agree that it is so fitting to put Old Black on the cover.

Wade Biery posted the same article on his Facebook page and there is a link to that in the 'Remembering Glenn Frey' thread. I'm going to go ahead and post his tribute over in that thread.

Brooke
02-22-2016, 12:59 PM
E-7, thanks for the tidbits about the memorial. We appreciate that coming from someone that was actually there. And welcome to the Border!

GlennsCuz
05-31-2017, 12:36 PM
The Detroit Free Press had more about the memorial in their article on Glenn Frey Drive as they spoke with one of Glenn's cousins who still lives in Royal Oak and was at the memorial. Apparently Glenn's son Deacon started the memorial performing "Take it Easy", and Joe Walsh has written a new song for Glenn and performed it there.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/02/18/glenn-frey-drive-sign-unveiled-royal-oak-ceremony/80572000/

Yes, my cousin Darcy, was at the unveiling of the new Glenn Frey Drive in Detroit. Darcy and I are cousins of Glenn and we were all at the private memorial.
The song that Joe Walsh sang that he performed on the piano was so moving and he barely finished the song and left the stage in tears after he performed. I think the song was titled "My old Friend" We all were in tears.

GlennsCuz
05-31-2017, 12:46 PM

Hi E-7. I was there too. What a great night it was! Very, very emotional but most of all loved hearing the stories about Glenn.

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Yes, my cousin Darcy, was at the unveiling of the new Glenn Frey Drive in Detroit. Darcy and I are cousins of Glenn and we were all at the private memorial.
The song that Joe Walsh sang that he performed on the piano was so moving and he barely finished the song and left the stage in tears after he performed. I think the song was titled "My old Friend" We all were in tears.

Welcome and thank you for sharing your experience with us. My condolences to your family as well.

Funk 50
06-02-2017, 01:28 PM

Joe has a song on his, largely ignored 1992 album, Songs For A Dying Planet titled The Friend Song.
It wouldn't have been written with Glenn in mind but I can see Joe performing it especially for Glenn at a private tribute;

The Friend Song

I have a friend
He's like my brother
And every now and then we sit down
And we talk to each other

One time we talked
All about the future
And we shared each others' dreams and plans
For later on, when we both had time at hand
And weren't so damn busy
Me and my friend

And the thing I don't understand
Dear God, where is he?
Where is he?

And so my friend, I must say
So long, for now
Your time is over
I must go on

You are my brother
This is your song
It will last forever, forever, forever
We'll be friends that long

The vocal starts about 4 minutes into the video.
(after uncredited I Know and Theme From The Baroque Weirdos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go_jUxTC5vQ

Delilah
06-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Joe has a song on his, largely ignored 1992 album, Songs For A Dying Planet titled The Friend Song.
It wouldn't have been written with Glenn in mind but I can see Joe performing it especially for Glenn at a private tribute;

Yes, I can see Joe performing it too. Very touching. Thanks for posting, Funk50.

New Kid In Town
06-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Brings tears to a person's eyes. Thank You for posting Funk.

GlennsCuz
10-24-2017, 04:33 PM
This sure sounds like the song Joe played on the piano of which he barely finished before he had to leave the stage in tears.

The Friend Song

I have a friend
He's like my brother
And every now and then we sit down
And we talk to each other

One time we talked
All about the future
And we shared each others' dreams and plans
For later on, when we both had time at hand
And weren't so damn busy
Me and my friend

And the thing I don't understand
Dear God, where is he?
Where is he?

And so my friend, I must say
So long, for now
Your time is over
I must go on

You are my brother
This is your song
It will last forever, forever, forever
We'll be friends that long

AshleyCuneo
11-21-2017, 06:50 AM
This is too pitiful! Brings tears to a person's eyes! Anyway, thanks for posting this thread!