PDA

View Full Version : Crosby Stills & Nash

SilverAcidRayne
03-06-2016, 08:36 PM
are there any fans of CSN in here? I am a huge fan of them also and I read this. of course it was another show I wanted to check out this year if possible.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/graham-nash-crosby-stills-nash-break-up/

LuvTim
03-06-2016, 11:49 PM
SAR, I like CSN, for sure. I saw them in concert once. If this article is true, it's very disappointing and very sad; however, I think I'll maybe wait and watch to see what happens. It would be unfortunate for CSN to go out as a group this way. Let's hope it all works out.

SilverAcidRayne
03-07-2016, 01:39 AM
oh I know... but at the same time they have been rocky for years. AND at the same time if I recall it's definitely not like them to just stop everything especially if they had any engagements on schedule.

AlreadyGone95
03-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Step Stills is ome of my favorite musicians. I love almost everything he's done, including CSN. My favorite song of theirs is Southern Cross. I'm sad that they be finished, but at least we got 45 years of amazing music.

buffyfan145
03-07-2016, 02:22 PM
I love CSN too as well as their solo songs and The Byrds. I'm sad they might be done too.

Brooke
03-07-2016, 02:36 PM
I'm another big fan! I love their harmonies. I read David's first biography and know that Graham Nash tried to save David several times over the years. They've all always had a volatile relationship, but somehow, managed to continue making music. I just watched a 2012 concert a couple weeks ago and Stephen didn't sound very good at first, but warmed up and was lots better before long.

Too bad, if it's true.

SilverAcidRayne
03-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Step Stills is ome of my favorite musicians. I love almost everything he's done, including CSN. My favorite song of theirs is Southern Cross. I'm sad that they be finished, but at least we got 45 years of amazing music.

I am in love with Stills. he has immense talent. His voice is gold. Southern Cross is also my favorite... I just love their voices.

Brooke
03-07-2016, 03:13 PM
I don't know if I can pick a favorite song of theirs, there's so many!

Top five: any order after #1

Helplessly Hoping (Has to be #1!, it's so beautiful!)
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
Teach Your Children
Southern Cross
For What It's Worth

Love Neil Young with them too!

SilverAcidRayne
03-07-2016, 03:21 PM
a story for you. when my ex husband and I were dating I introduced him to them. he fell in love with the song Cathedral. we broke up 2 years after we married and lost touch. years later I find out he is dying of lung cancer. I wasn't sure when. I'm grieving the loss of my mother literally two weeks after she passes, I'm sitting in my room blasting Cathedral and that's when I got the news that he had passed. that exact moment. that song will be with me always....

Freypower
03-07-2016, 04:51 PM
I don't know if I can pick a favorite song of theirs, there's so many!

Top five: any order after #1

Helplessly Hoping (Has to be #1!, it's so beautiful!)
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
Teach Your Children
Southern Cross
For What It's Worth

Love Neil Young with them too!

For What It's Worth is a Buffalo Springfield song, but I suppose CSNY would have performed it in concert.

LuvTim
03-07-2016, 05:01 PM
a story for you. when my ex husband and I were dating I introduced him to them. he fell in love with the song Cathedral. we broke up 2 years after we married and lost touch. years later I find out he is dying of lung cancer. I wasn't sure when. I'm grieving the loss of my mother literally two weeks after she passes, I'm sitting in my room blasting Cathedral and that's when I got the news that he had passed. that exact moment. that song will be with me always....

That's quite a story, SAR. I can see why you will carry that with you always.

SilverAcidRayne
03-07-2016, 05:16 PM
I think it was done a time or two... Lol one of my favorites too

SilverAcidRayne
03-07-2016, 05:19 PM
That's quite a story, SAR. I can see why you will carry that with you always.

Yeah. And we didn't part on good terms. so I had that to deal with. And he was only 39. And so I think that was his way of saying goodbye.

NightMistBlue
04-08-2016, 12:57 PM
are there any fans of CSN in here? I am a huge fan of them also and I read this. of course it was another show I wanted to check out this year if possible.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/graham-nash-crosby-stills-nash-break-up/

Oh gosh, I didn't know Nash fell out with Crosby - they were so close for ages. The article doesn't mention it but Nash is also ending his relationship with his wife after 38 years.

Lucky Angelenos who attended David Gilmour's concerts at the Hollywood Bowl last month got to see a guest appearance by the Cros: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/03/david-gilmour-joined-by-david-crosby-for-north-american-tour-kick-off/

Brooke
04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Oh gosh, I didn't know Nash fell out with Crosby - they were so close for ages. The article doesn't mention it but Nash is also ending his relationship with his wife after 38 years.

Lucky Angelenos who attended David Gilmour's concerts at the Hollywood Bowl last month got to see a guest appearance by the Cros: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/03/david-gilmour-joined-by-david-crosby-for-north-american-tour-kick-off/

That's sad about Nash and Crosby. And Nash and his wife! 38 years and you can't work it out?

NightMistBlue
04-08-2016, 02:31 PM
He met a younger woman. She's only in her 30s, and he's like 73 at least, maybe 74. Very pretty though - looks like a younger version of Susan (his wife).

LuvTim
04-09-2016, 01:40 AM
He met a younger woman. She's only in her 30s, and he's like 73 at least, maybe 74. Very pretty though - looks like a younger version of Susan (his wife).

Well, that just makes me feel sad.

SilverAcidRayne
04-09-2016, 02:03 AM

OMG. really? wow man. he's like cutting ties with everyone.

NightMistBlue
04-11-2016, 02:56 PM
I don't know how accurate/reliable this is, but there is talk that Stephen Stills will be writing his autobiography. Now *that* would be a good read.

AlreadyGone95
04-11-2016, 03:00 PM
I'd preorder Stephen's autobiography in a heartbeat. Where's this talk coming from, may I ask?

SilverAcidRayne
04-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Oh absolutely I adore that man. I would order that like yesterday.

NightMistBlue
04-11-2016, 03:34 PM
From someone who supposedly knows/is friends with his personal assistant. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. Stephen has never seemed like someone who likes to talk about his life and adventures, at least not in public. He was friends with Jim Morrison but to my knowledge has never talked about him; he's had relationships with Rita Coolidge and Joan Baez (did you know "Dark Star" was about her?!) and kept his trap shut.

SilverAcidRayne
04-11-2016, 04:48 PM
wait Joan Baez? really? that's one of my favorite songs lol

LuvTim
04-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Agree, sar

SilverAcidRayne
04-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Joan Baez has always had a gorgeous voice. i'm almost jealous I wasn't around to date him. dammit. lmao

Prettymaid
04-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Here's the original thread. It's got some good concert photos and reviews.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2496

NightMistBlue
04-12-2016, 10:43 AM
wait Joan Baez? really? that's one of my favorite songs lol

Me too - I've loved that song since I was like 10 years old. Last year, I was driving around listening to Graham Nash's autobiography (which he narrates himself) and he said that Dark Star was about Stephen's relationship with Joan Baez. I shrieked "what?!" aloud, I was so surprised. Graham even quoted the opening lyrics which he particularly admired:

Forgive me if my fantasies might seem a little shopworn
I'm sure you've heard it all before
I wonder what's the right form
Love songs written for you
it's been going down for years
But to sing what's in my heart seems more honest than the tears

Can that mofo write or what.

Delilah
08-31-2016, 09:29 PM
Here's an interesting article about Graham Nash and his new life. Sad after all these years, they're still fighting and bickering (CSN, that is).

https://www.yahoo.com/music/graham-nash-talks-life-divorce-160850653.html

Brooke
09-01-2016, 01:46 PM
I read that article yesterday. Yes, too bad they can't get along. Also, too bad he gave up on his 38 year marriage.

NightMistBlue
09-01-2016, 02:40 PM
That's an interesting article, thank you Delilah.

I'm surprised to read Crosby's description of Nash's memoir as "a very shallow, very self-serving book, and full of BS." Nash expressed a lot of love and praise for Crosby, and seems to have truly valued the close friendship they shared all these decades. I remember thinking at the time that Nash was much more effusive about his friendships with men than the relationship with his wife.

It's kind of interesting that both Nash and Young left their wives after 38 years. Maybe there's a similar thing to a mid-life crisis that happens to some senior folk. You're reminded of your mortality and shazam, you need to change your life.

Annoying Twit
09-01-2016, 05:12 PM
I'm not as invested in CS&N as others here, so this is easy to say...

It's sad that CS&N are over, but time passes. They are all in their 70s now aren't they? It's the time of life when many people in normal occupations will retire and spend their time in their gardens or whatever. Musical artists, actors, and writers often keep on going. And for fans that's good as we get to see new product. But, if they aren't getting on, then perhaps it's time for them to all do their own things and not have to put up with things that they don't want to do any more.

Delilah
09-01-2016, 08:10 PM
That's an interesting article, thank you Delilah.

I'm surprised to read Crosby's description of Nash's memoir as "a very shallow, very self-serving book, and full of BS." Nash expressed a lot of love and praise for Crosby, and seems to have truly valued the close friendship they shared all these decades. I remember thinking at the time that Nash was much more effusive about his friendships with men than the relationship with his wife.

It's kind of interesting that both Nash and Young left their wives after 38 years. Maybe there's a similar thing to a mid-life crisis that happens to some senior folk. You're reminded of your mortality and shazam, you need to change your life.

You're welcome, NightMistBlue. I'm guessing the book was before their physical altercation or whatever it was that happened between them, supposedly on stage.

Brooke
09-02-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm not as invested in CS&N as others here, so this is easy to say...

It's sad that CS&N are over, but time passes. They are all in their 70s now aren't they? It's the time of life when many people in normal occupations will retire and spend their time in their gardens or whatever. Musical artists, actors, and writers often keep on going. And for fans that's good as we get to see new product. But, if they aren't getting on, then perhaps it's time for them to all do their own things and not have to put up with things that they don't want to do any more.

I love their old music, but I agree with you here. Why not just give it up and enjoy your time left. The music will live on.

NightMistBlue
09-02-2016, 10:05 AM
You're welcome, NightMistBlue. I'm guessing the book was before their physical altercation or whatever it was that happened between them, supposedly on stage.

Oh it was, but I mean I'm surprised that Crosby didn't like the book when it was so full of praise for him. I wonder which content he found objectionable.

Nash does go into detail about Crosby's decline, including one shocking bit where Cros actually betrayed his girlfriend to some violent drug dealers. But Crosby has been very forthcoming about his past and - from what I remember of his first autobiography, it was a long time ago - admits he was a selfish pig quite a lot of the time, only out for himself.

Delilah
09-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Sounds like an interesting read. I was thinking Crosby's opinion of it may have changed after the fall-out, whether valid or not.:shrug:

NightMistBlue
09-02-2016, 06:11 PM
It was a good read, but it may ring a bit false now. He portrayed himself as being totally fulfilled, in his marriage & family life as well as his career. But now everything has changed. Bless 'im, I hope he finds what he's looking for.

NightMistBlue
10-26-2017, 05:46 PM
For the love of Mike, I need to get out more. I had no idea, until someone told me today, that Stephen Stills and Judy Collins recorded an album together and are on tour. The tour is almost over. [sigh] http://www.stephenstills.com/news/06.20.17.html

chaim
10-27-2017, 01:04 PM
I had no idea Nash left his wife too. Something must have gone wrong in that relationship. The same with Young. I was sure that Neil and Pegi were gonna last forever.

New Kid In Town
10-27-2017, 01:27 PM
I saw Graham Nash interviewed by Charlie Rose(a 60 minutes like newsman) last year and Graham said he had been unhappy in his marriage for a very long time. He did not say how long or if they were separated. However, he did say once he met the new gf, who is at least 35 years younger than him, they he decided to get a divorce. He stated he had been unhappy for too long and needed to make changes. He picked up and moved to NYC, where the gf lives. He looked great in the interview and seemed like a nice guy.

PS - I had forgotten about Neil Young. Wonder what caused that break up?

NightMistBlue
10-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Maybe he wanted to be with Daryl Hannah. I don't blame him, but every time I see a pic of them together I think, "Daryl, why??" She was with very handsome guys before, like Jackson Browne and JFK Jr.

Yes, I am shallow.

chaim
10-27-2017, 03:04 PM
I saw Graham Nash interviewed by Charlie Ross(a 60 minutes like newsman) last year and Graham said he had been unhappy in his marriage for a very long time. He did not say how long or if they were separated. However, he did say once he met the new gf, who is at least 35 years younger than him, they he decided to get a divorce. He stated he had been unhappy for too long and needed to make changes. He picked up and moved to NYC, where the gf lives. He looked great in the interview and seemed like a nice guy.

PS - I had forgotten about Neil Young. Wonder what caused that break up?

Perhaps this song from the Storytone album offers a clue on the way Neil saw it:

"Like You Used To Do"

Some day you’ll want me
Some day we’ll get back there
Some day you’ll see me, like you used to do

I got my problems
But they mostly show up with you
Some day you’ll see me, like you used to do

I couldn’t satisfy you
Just couldn’t show you my love
But I kept on trying
Yeah, I tried and I tried
And as the time went by
You just didn’t want it no more

Yeah, some day you’ll want me
Some day you’re gonna get back there
Some day you’re gonna need me, like you used to do

NightMistBlue
10-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Not sure, Chaim, but Pegi sounded pretty shocked about Neil filing for divorce after 36 years:
That life was shattered with the news that Young had taken up with a new girlfriend, actress and activist Daryl Hannah, which led to the Youngs' under-the-radar marriage becoming tabloid fodder. "It was tough on all of us, for my kids and me," Pegi says. "Everybody knew what was going on in my family. So we were as ready as we could be for all that. But it was just kind of awful to have it be all over, everywhere. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/pegi-young-on-life-after-neil-heartbreak-inspired-new-lp-w450733

New Kid In Town
10-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Maybe he wanted to be with Daryl Hannah. I don't blame him, but every time I see a pic of them together I think, "Daryl, why??" She was with very handsome guys before, like Jackson Browne and JFK Jr.
Yes, I am shallow.

Well, we all know how the relationship with Jackson ended. JFK, Jr. - that ended when he met his wife.

Delilah
10-28-2017, 09:02 PM
For the love of Mike, I need to get out more. I had no idea, until someone told me today, that Stephen Stills and Judy Collins recorded an album together and are on tour. The tour is almost over. [sigh] http://www.stephenstills.com/news/06.20.17.html

Really, I thought his voice was shot??

scottside
10-29-2017, 12:52 AM
Really, I thought his voice was shot??

He definitely has issues, but the album is really quite a nice surprise although I'm sure liberal use of auto-tune was used. I've seen some live clips of the two together and they were not like the studio recordings.

New Kid In Town
10-29-2017, 03:28 PM
SS - Wow, I did not know Stephen had pretty much lost his voice. But, I have not heard him sing anything recently either. How is Judy Collins voice ?
Just wondering.........

scottside
10-29-2017, 05:02 PM
SS - Wow, I did not know Stephen had pretty much lost his voice. But, I have not heard him sing anything recently either. How is Judy Collins voice ?
Just wondering.........

Judy pretty much sounds like she always has. Her voice has lost a bit of its elasticity, but she does a remake of "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" with Stills (she sings this alone) and you'd think this was back in the late 60s. It actually brought tears to my eyes...just beautiful.

New Kid In Town
10-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Thank You SS, I always loved Judy's voice and Joan B's too. It's nice to hear she has not lost too much considering she is in her 70's now.