PDA

View Full Version : Which lost gems would to like to hear/see most?

UndertheWire
03-18-2016, 01:21 PM
Every so often something gets unearthed from an archive. There are others that we know used to exist and hope may appear some day.

Here's my list:

On Oct 12, 1971, Linda Ronstadt appeared on a tv show, called The Ian Tyson Show. Her backing band, supposedly, was the Eagles. I've read interviews with Linda where she said she suggested they back her while they were getting everything together, so it's plausible.

Glenn's hometown band, The Mushrooms, appeared on a couple of tv shows. I've seen other acts from one of the shows on youtube so I have hopes that one day someone will come across a tape and say "Isn't that...?"
Cameron Crowe spoke about a Glenn Frey/Jomi Mitchell co-write called "When a Bad Boy Meets a Bad Girl in the Night". If only that would turn up in some form!
The recordings the band made with Glyn Johns for their third album.

TequilaSunrise82
03-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Great topic! I agree with the above and could probably think of more but what comes to mind right now is something I've searched for to no avail although I do think it was mentioned in another thread somewhere a while back. There is a scene in the first part of HOTE where Glenn is talking about how he and Don first told Linda Ronstadt that they wanted to form their own group and the film shows a young Glenn playing guitar with a pair of red sunglasses on his head and singing something like "you won't be with me someday...smile on, smile on..." Not sure if this exists somewhere in its entirety or if it's just a clip but there is something so beautiful about the way he sings it, it always leaves me wanting to hear more.

buffyfan145
03-18-2016, 04:13 PM
I agree with both posts and what's mentioned. There seemed to be a lot of footage from the 70s in the HOTE doc that could be a separate documentary there. I'd also love if someone ever finds whatever Glenn did to get into the Screen Actors Guild Union. I posted before that he became a member in 1969 (from SAG's Twitter's memorial post) and you have to do some sort of acting work to get in which is why I used to think he got in for "Miami Vice", so there is probably a commercial he did as a 20-year-old (unless he was an extra in a film/TV show).

AlreadyGone95
03-18-2016, 04:53 PM
I hope that all of the bootlegs available become official releases.

I also hope that the solo album that Glenn was nearly finished with is released.

Freypower
03-18-2016, 05:13 PM
I hope that all of the bootlegs available become official releases.

I also hope that the solo album that Glenn was nearly finished with is released.

Bootlegs wouldn't be released officially unless they were of decent quality & then only a selection might be released to avoid duplication.

From what I understood Glenn was writing for hs next album; he had not recorded anything.

It would be far easier just to give us DVDs of LROOE or HOTE. For the life of me I can't understand why this was never done. I also wish there could be a DVD of a solo show.

NightMistBlue
03-18-2016, 05:18 PM
"Wait and See" a Randy song recorded with Glyn Johns for the third album

I'd also love to see the band's performances on the Helen Reddy Show

MortSahlFan
03-18-2016, 05:37 PM
A demo or a rare live version of "King of Hollywood"

Jonny Come Lately
03-18-2016, 05:41 PM
NMB, I definitely agree about Wait and See, and I'd like to hear any version of Georgia Peach (the lyrics for that from the 1973 show are even harder to make out than Wait and See) too. I really like Wait and See in particular and am curious as to why these two songs fell by the wayside - I believe something similar may have happened to Glenn and J.D.'s 'Bad Man' as I seem to remember hearing that was originally written for the Eagles in the early/mid-1970s, although Randy did later record that himself.

One thing I'd love would be a live album in the vein of Led Zeppelin's 'How The West Was Won'. I'd especially love it if it was taken from the Hotel California tour (maybe including Try and Love Again if remotely possible) - you'd get several of the then-new songs from the HC album together with some great Joe tracks and the magic of Felder/Walsh on guitar for the likes of Outlaw Man and Good Day In Hell. It was an absolutely great time for the band and I feel that such a live album would provide a more authentic Eagles concert experience than the Eagles Live album which mixes together songs from the HC and The Long Run tours. Whether this is feasible, I'm not sure but I'd be extremely interested in a retrospective live release.

Freypower
03-18-2016, 05:43 PM
A demo or a rare live version of "King of Hollywood"

Are you familiar with the Long Beach version - one of my favourite live tracks Scroll down & click on the song title.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/multimedialiveaudio.htm

Scarlet Sun
03-18-2016, 09:56 PM
she's the pride of Atlanta
ain't it understood
she can do better
in fact she'll do you good
she always smiles a lot
she stays out of reach
lovin' will sure be fine
with this Georgia Peach

NightMistBlue
03-19-2016, 10:58 AM
she's the pride of Atlanta
ain't it understood
she can do better
in fact she'll do you good
she always smiles a lot
she stays out of reach
lovin' will sure be fine
with this Georgia Peach

Thank you, Scarlet Sun. You've heard the studio versions of Wait & See and Georgia Peach, haven't you?

Ive always been a dreamer
03-19-2016, 12:39 PM
I would love to see a really good video of a concert from The Long Run tour.

And on a personal note, I'd love to have a copy of my very first ever Eagles concert - the May, 2004 Richmond, Virginia show. I think there is a bootleg out there of the show, but I've never come across it.

And, of course, more now than ever, I would love to have DVDs released for The Long Road Out of Eden and History of the Eagles tours.

Scarlet Sun
03-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Thank you, Scarlet Sun. You've heard the studio versions of Wait & See and Georgia Peach, haven't you?

I'm sure a number of people have. Also, "Wait and See" is also known as "Oh
Darling"

Funk 50
03-19-2016, 04:50 PM
In the last few years the release of radio shows, that previously would have been bootlegs, has really gathered pace.

I've just noticed that there are two featuring Glenn to be release in the near future:

April 8th 2016 -- Glenn Frey - Take It To the Limit: Radio Broadcast 1986
http://mvdb2b.com/s/GlennFreyTakeItToTheLimitRadioBroadcast1986/LM701

May 27th 2016 -- Joe Walsh & Glenn Frey - Peaceful: FM Broadcast 1993
http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&p=2733708

I wish there were more Walsh shows from when he had his career in front of him, rather than when he was boozed up and washed out.

I hope Radio 1FM in Italy, release the Eagles 2001 Lucca Festival show. The internet broadcast was full of glitches. We also had to endure a female, motor mouthed, radio presenter talking constantly between and over the intros to the tracks but it was fabulous performance. Joe was on fire that night. A Pre-FM version of that show has been a holy grail ever since.
It's so obscure I reckon Irving must have commandeered the master tapes before he left the country.

Joe's internet broadcasts from the early 21st century and even the one last October are far more obscure than I expected them to be.

I wonder if we'll ever get to hear Glenn's soundtrack for the intermission of the Eagles Millennium shows. I liked his Farewell One DVD, Theme.

buffyfan145
03-19-2016, 08:30 PM
I thought of another one with the release of Glenn's "Wiseguy" arc on DVD or if the show ends up on a streaming site like Netflix or Hulu (I don't think it currently is). That arc has a lot of music rights issues but I think maybe now they might try to release it. It was probably my favorite acting role he did and for fans of the show it's the only part that's not currently on DVD and some of the other actors in that arc were on later seasons, so anyone watching it for the first time would be missing those 7 episodes. Thankfully it was on YouTube to watch but who knows how long that will stay up.

I also agree about a HOTE tour DVD too.

NOLA
03-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Only three simple requests:

- The first concert ever performed by the original four at Disneyland, even though they served as Linda Ronstadt's backup at the time.

- The second night of the HFO debut in April 1994. We have a clip of PEF, but I would love to see and hear the rest of the show. IIRC, OOTN was among the songs, too.

- Don's "Unplugged" show that he did for MTV in April 1990. CROCS was released on a compilation disc, and there's also a clip of THOTM, but again, I want to see and hear the rest.

--------

ETA: Also, the HOTE concert in Bossier City, LA from July 2015, which we now know was the last show performed by the band with Glenn.

AlreadyGone95
03-19-2016, 09:13 PM
I would like for all of Glenn's music videos to be released on DVD/bluray.

By bootlegs, I meant ones like Christchurch which Is of good quality.

TequilaSunrise82
03-22-2016, 06:39 PM
I thought of another one with the release of Glenn's "Wiseguy" arc on DVD or if the show ends up on a streaming site like Netflix or Hulu (I don't think it currently is). That arc has a lot of music rights issues but I think maybe now they might try to release it. It was probably my favorite acting role he did and for fans of the show it's the only part that's not currently on DVD and some of the other actors in that arc were on later seasons, so anyone watching it for the first time would be missing those 7 episodes. Thankfully it was on YouTube to watch but who knows how long that will stay up.

I also agree about a HOTE tour DVD too.

Is there currently any way of watching these episodes of Wiseguy? I've never seen them!

buffyfan145
03-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Is there currently any way of watching these episodes of Wiseguy? I've never seen them!

I finally got to see them last month as someone uploaded the entire series to YouTube. If you search the show and the "Dead Dog" arc (7 episodes of season 2) they should show up. My Dad was a fan when it originally aired and has the rest of the show on DVD (which is how I saw the rest) and he loved those episodes with Glenn and the other musicians, and I was so happy I finally got to see it.

Shadowland07
03-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Only three simple requests:

- The first concert ever performed by the original four at Disneyland, even though they served as Linda Ronstadt's backup at the time.

- The second night of the HFO debut in April 1994. We have a clip of PEF, but I would love to see and hear the rest of the show. IIRC, OOTN was among the songs, too.

- Don's "Unplugged" show that he did for MTV in April 1990. CROCS was released on a compilation disc, and there's also a clip of THOTM, but again, I want to see and hear the rest.

--------

ETA: Also, the HOTE concert in Bossier City, LA from July 2015, which we now know was the last show performed by the band with Glenn.

Here is OOTN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy339x2VgRI

NOLA
03-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Here is OOTN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy339x2VgRI

Thank you very much! :)