PDA

View Full Version : Songs Sung By Other Guys Who Didn't On Record

MortSahlFan
03-29-2016, 08:07 PM
I heard Glenn sing "take it to the limit" - in concert and on youtube...

If you have a link, please attach!

I've always wondered how others would have sounded on the Eagles best songs..

Freypower
03-29-2016, 08:36 PM
This is a good version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZ8zoLg0Hw

Glenn also sang Desperado, surely you know that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BQs0LxVlw4

He did Llfe In The Fast Lane too.

I assume by 'others' you mean other members of the Eagles. I know that Don Henley has sung Already Gone, Lyin' Eyes & Tequila Sunrise & that Joe sang Life In The Fast Lane & Desperado.

Witchy Woman
03-29-2016, 11:48 PM
I've often wondered how they came to the conclusion Glenn was the best fit to sing TITTL. Did they each sing it and go from there ? Or even how they decide who sings what in general. I have heard them sing songs that weren't originally sung by them, and it was weird to me. Although if they had sung it to begin with we wouldn't know the difference anyway. Sorry to ramble. I think too much sometimes.

Freypower
03-30-2016, 01:47 AM
Surely it had to do with who wrote most of the lyrics or in the case of TITTL the music.

UndertheWire
03-30-2016, 04:51 AM
Glenn had sung TITTL solo (the 1986 Tokyo show and later in private shows) so he already had an arrangement that suited his voice. Have any of the others ever sung it?

After leaving the Eagles, Randy sang some Eagles songs where he wasn't the original lead and Don Felder has a setlist that is 80% Eagles songs that he wasn't the original lead inger for.

As for deciding who sang what in the first place, a common refrain is something like "We needed a song for x to sing..." and then on to describe the writing of the song to fit that. So it may be whoever brought in the song idea got to sing it - which would be why Felder thought he should get VoL.

What's less clear is with the Henley/Frey co-writes. I'm pretty sure they had ideas of whose voice was better for different types of song but there must have been some that would have suited either. I know that in his solo career, Glenn started to develop R&B type vocals that would have been handled by Don within the Eagles.

MortSahlFan
03-30-2016, 07:55 AM
I've often wondered how they came to the conclusion Glenn was the best fit to sing TITTL. Did they each sing it and go from there ? Or even how they decide who sings what in general. I have heard them sing songs that weren't originally sung by them, and it was weird to me. Although if they had sung it to begin with we wouldn't know the difference anyway. Sorry to ramble. I think too much sometimes.

There's no such thing as rambling talking about the Eagles! I wondered the same thing. I would have though Henley would have been better suited for "TITTL" - or at least it would have been nice to give Glenn a break one night, and for it be online!

I heard Glenn do Desperado, but will keep my eye out and revert back to this thread :)

buffyfan145
03-30-2016, 09:59 AM
This reminds me how when the Eagles reunited for HFO I was 8 and I think Glenn performed "Take it to the Limit" so I thought he sang it normally. LOL :lol: I remember when I found out about Randy and Bernie (I was also shocked Timothy wasn't in the band that long originally as my Mom even thought he was), as I was around 10 or 11, and my parents were correcting me. I know I loved that song and Glenn was my favorite so finding out he didn't sing it on the album saddened me. LOL But I found Randy's other songs and loved them and him too. :)

But I have seen vids of Glenn singing "Desperado", Don & Randy singing others, and my Dad the other day was listening to Felder sing "Hotel California" and other Eagles songs and he was surprised like I was when I first saw the vids.

Freypower
03-30-2016, 04:50 PM
There's no such thing as rambling talking about the Eagles! I wondered the same thing. I would have though Henley would have been better suited for "TITTL" - or at least it would have been nice to give Glenn a break one night, and for it be online!

I heard Glenn do Desperado, but will keep my eye out and revert back to this thread :)

When they added it to the setlist Henley had plenty of leads. Glenn, as always, needed another one. The last thing he needed to be given was a break.He had already to coin a phrase taken that to the limit with the albums where he deliberately stopped singing lead on most of the songs, which I maintain is the worst decision he ever made.

Glenn once said 'I never sang anything in the Eagles which wasn't suited to my voice or my talents'. He spread himself very thinly, then.

BF, they didn't start doing TITTL until 2001. It was not in the HFO setlist.

NightMistBlue
03-30-2016, 05:05 PM
That would be very interesting to hear Glenn and Joe sing lead on Life in the Fast Lane. I'm assuming this was at their solo shows?

I'd also like to express my appreciation for this thread's title. :)

Freypower
03-30-2016, 05:13 PM
That would be very interesting to hear Glenn and Joe sing lead on Life in the Fast Lane. I'm assuming this was at their solo shows?

I'd also like to express my appreciation for this thread's title. :)

Here is Joe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsYhDSR9mGI

Desperado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5t1zV6YegM

Glenn sang LITFL at a House of Blues benefit & I can no longer find the video.

You will forgive me if I don't link to Felder's versions of some of these songs.

buffyfan145
03-30-2016, 08:58 PM
That's so weird as when I was little I thought Glenn sang it, which at the time was one of the reasons it was my favorite Eagle song (it still is). I remember that's how I found out about Randy and the original lineup from my parents, so now I'm wondering why I thought he did. LOL

GlennLover
03-31-2016, 04:30 PM
I heard Glenn & Joe sing LITFL, alternating leads, at a festival in Aspen. Soda, Dreamer & Wildthyme attended as well. It was great.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Yes it was, GL. We had such a fun time on that trip. It was the only Party of Two show that I ever saw and it was terrific. :yay:

What's less clear is with the Henley/Frey co-writes. I'm pretty sure they had ideas of whose voice was better for different types of song but there must have been some that would have suited either. I know that in his solo career, Glenn started to develop R&B type vocals that would have been handled by Don within the Eagles.

I always thought Glenn would have done a great job with the lead vocal on Life in the Fast Lane. Of course, Don is fantastic on the song, but I think Glenn would have been equally effective, especially since he played such a big role in creating the song and, of course, he could have used another lead vocal on the Hotel California album. I also feel the same way about The Sad Cafe on The Long Run album. Although it's hard to say how much of a hand Glenn had with the lyrics on that song, I believe he definitely was a big influence on the music, particularly given his fondness for the sax.

Glennhoney
03-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Yes it was, GL. We had such a fun time on that trip. It was the only Party of Two show that I ever saw and it was terrific. :yay:

I always thought Glenn would have done a great job with the lead vocal on Life in the Fast Lane. Of course, Don is fantastic on the song, but I think Glenn would have been equally effective, especially since he played such a big role in creating the song and, of course, he could have used another lead vocal on the Hotel California album. I also feel the same way about The Sad Cafe on The Long Run album. Although it's hard to say how much of a hand Glenn had with the lyrics on that song, I believe he definitely was a big influence on the music, particularly given his fondness for the sax.
..funny....I've always thought the same thing...I think Glenn would have given it a "rougher" edge......