PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley in Berkeley, CA - July 23, 2016

sodascouts
04-05-2016, 08:35 PM
http://donhenley.com/events/375353

FWIW
04-08-2016, 10:14 AM
I got my tickets for the concert in Berkeley! I have 9th row seats and I'm really looking forward to seeing Don again.

Brooke
04-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Congrats, FWIW! :yay:

Be sure to come back here and tell us all about it!

Keith
04-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Great seats, FWIW! Congrats!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Excellent, FWIW. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

eagles557
05-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Hi,
I just joined today; so glad I found this message board. I love the Eagles and plan on going to a Don Henley concert this summer, either in California or Washington. Tickets in WA are sold out, so I am probably going to have to go through Stubhub. My question to all of you is have you bought from stubhub and used the ticket successfully at a concert? I have bought through stubhub before but don't want to fly out of state and get to the concert and not be able to get in because of invalid tickets. Thoughts? Thanks! :)

FWIW
05-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Welcome!

If you don't want to go the StubHub route, there are still tickets available for Don's show in Berkeley.

To answer your question, I have used StubHub for both concerts and sporting events and have never had a problem. I also have friends who have successfully used StubHub.

eagles557
05-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Thanks for your advice, FWIW. The Washington concert works better with my schedule so I'm going to attend that one. I am just crossing my fingers that the Stubhub tickets will be good. I've never had a problem before so hopefully they're valid! :)

RudieCantFail
06-20-2016, 04:21 AM
I'm going to see Don next month too with my folks. This is my first concert ever. I think I'm seated in the back area where there are still seats, just in front of the lawn. I don't think we're at the very back, and I think we're either on the right or left side. I know for sure we're not at the center.

I'm just wondering, would it be appropriate to try to yell "Happy Birthday" to Don or does he not like it when people do that? I mean, his b-day is the day before. It would be sort of funny if he gave a small, dry retort saying that it's not his b-day that day, considering that some people jibe at others for saying "Happy Birthday" the day after or a few days after. Of course, he would mean no hostility or malice with a retort like that. A statement like that seems to fit his personality. Please correct me, if I'm wrong though. I'm no Don expert, even though I like his music.

I think it would be cool if everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to him as an alternative too, but I don't know if that throws him off. It would probably be best to do it when he first comes on or when he leaves, but I'm not the best judge for that. I just thought that those times would be appropriate.

TL;DR: It would cool to acknowledge Don's b-day, even though it's the day after. I don't know if it would throw him off or he wouldn't like it. I've heard that he has some stage anxiety as a lead singer, due to being a drummer behind the set and singing and playing.

It would be much appreciated if any of you Borderers can report what you did or witnessed when you went to shows that were either on or around the guys' b-days. I'm in the back area, so even if I tried, I don't think Don would be able to hear me yell.

Freypower
06-20-2016, 06:17 PM
I'm going to see Don next month too with my folks. This is my first concert ever. I think I'm seated in the back area where there are still seats, just in front of the lawn. I don't think we're at the very back, and I think we're either on the right or left side. I know for sure we're not at the center.

I'm just wondering, would it be appropriate to try to yell "Happy Birthday" to Don or does he not like it when people do that? I mean, his b-day is the day before. It would be sort of funny if he gave a small, dry retort saying that it's not his b-day that day, considering that some people jibe at others for saying "Happy Birthday" the day after or a few days after. Of course, he would mean no hostility or malice with a retort like that. A statement like that seems to fit his personality. Please correct me, if I'm wrong though. I'm no Don expert, even though I like his music.

I think it would be cool if everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to him as an alternative too, but I don't know if that throws him off. It would probably be best to do it when he first comes on or when he leaves, but I'm not the best judge for that. I just thought that those times would be appropriate.

TL;DR: It would cool to acknowledge Don's b-day, even though it's the day after. I don't know if it would throw him off or he wouldn't like it. I've heard that he has some stage anxiety as a lead singer, due to being a drummer behind the set and singing and playing.

It would be much appreciated if any of you Borderers can report what you did or witnessed when you went to shows that were either on or around the guys' b-days. I'm in the back area, so even if I tried, I don't think Don would be able to hear me yell.

I saw the Eagles on Joe's birthday in 2004 & no mention was made of it, nor did I attempt to yell 'happy birthday'.

sodascouts
06-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Welcome, Rudie!

I daresay Don wouldn't want you to be disruptive about yelling Happy Birthday. That said, if you're close enough and it's at the end or something, I might give it a shot. Just don't be that obnoxious person that hollers it again and again and again while he's trying to do "Desperado."

RudieCantFail
06-21-2016, 04:02 AM
Thanks Freypower and Sodascouts! Yeah, I'll probably won't do anything, since I'm a shy person anyways. Plus, I'll be too far away. Come to think of it, if I were to do it, then I think the best would be at the very end, like when he's done. But anyways, thanks for sharing your experiences and advice!

Brooke
06-21-2016, 10:39 AM
I don't think it would hurt a thing at the very end while he's waving to the crowd. But yes, just once! Go for it!

RudieCantFail
06-22-2016, 03:55 AM
Alright, thanks for the encouragement, Brooke! Trying at the very end shouldn't be too disruptive.

RudieCantFail
07-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Do any of the Borderers have some tips/advice for concert-going? I've never been to one before, so I was wondering if there were good things to know beforehand. I don't really like surprises unless they're pleasant ones of course. I know that Don has a strict phone policy, but hopefully, he loosens to for HC like he did in Europe. Also, what do you guys think of buying souvenirs like the shirts? Should I expect overpriced shirts? I'm pretty thrifty but I'm leaning towards buying a shirt.

Jonny Come Lately
07-23-2016, 03:01 AM
I bought a shirt at the Manchester show - it's blue with a small 'Don Henley tour 2016' logo on the front and a guitar machine head on the back. I love it, it's quite a subtle design and it really suits me. I'd definitely get a T-shirt if you like the styles they have. My T-shirt cost me £25 (pound sterling) - unfortunately I don't know the US prices, or how that compares to other artists T shirts.

I was fairly 'green' when I went to see Don too - my only previous rock concert was Neil Young two years ago. I don't know who's supporting if anyone, although on the UK tour it was JD Souther & The Straight Shot (EDIT: They seem to be touring with Joe this summer, so probably not them https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=337391#post337391). At my show I think they played for about an hour starting around 7:30, with half an hour's break until Don came on. Definitely make sure you're there when Don starts!

thelastresort
07-23-2016, 06:07 AM
on the UK tour it was JD Souther & The Straight Shot (EDIT: They seem to be touring with Joe this summer, so probably not them https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=337391#post337391). At my show I think they played for about an hour starting around 7:30, with half an hour's break until Don came on. Definitely make sure you're there when Don starts!

It was who? ;) Legend has it they won't be on tour with Don this summer as they're still introducing their songs in Cork.

I went for the Cass County t-shirt with a massive photo of Don on the front and seven European tour stops on the back. I'm presuming they were US sizes as I went XL and it fits me like a parachute. I tend to buy a t-shirt at every concert I go to, incidentally the two worst acts I've ever seen are also the two best band t-shirts I've ever got.

RCF - There tends to be at least one person every concert who will shout something, if you're feeling brave you could use that as a sort of litmus test, if people laugh and Don doesn't look too bothered then you could probably get away with it. The only other thing you really need to know is no phones at all during the performance (that got extended to the support act in the UK). Most of all, enjoy!

thelastresort
07-23-2016, 06:11 AM
I will add more generally on the t-shirt front, I'd go for it. When the Eagles came over here in June 2014 for what turned out to be the last time, I got the tour shirt with Hotel California on the cover, and an On the Border one which remains my favoruite shirt. It might be a bit expensive (apparently £25 is $33) but it serves as a memento over the years. I can remember very little of the two concerts in question now, but the t-shirts still bring back what I can recall of it. They also do mugs, baseball caps etc if you're after something different. There were only two options per gender for t-shirts for Dons concerts so hopefully that makes it a bit easier to choose!

DivineDon
07-23-2016, 06:23 AM
It was who? ;) Legend has it they won't be on tour with Don this summer as they're still introducing their songs in Cork!

Ha! That's very possible TLR he did go on and on and on....

I bought the tee-shirt 'All she wants to do is dance' in medium which fits okay so it's about size 12 (European). I also bought a mug with Don's face on it and enjoy locking lips with him when I'm drinking my tea ;) I was sorry I didn't buy the drum sticks as well but they were all sold out after the Dublin show!

Jonny Come Lately
07-23-2016, 09:24 AM
It was who? ;) Legend has it they won't be on tour with Don this summer as they're still introducing their songs in Cork.

I went for the Cass County t-shirt with a massive photo of Don on the front and seven European tour stops on the back. I'm presuming they were US sizes as I went XL and it fits me like a parachute. I tend to buy a t-shirt at every concert I go to, incidentally the two worst acts I've ever seen are also the two best band t-shirts I've ever got.

RCF - There tends to be at least one person every concert who will shout something, if you're feeling brave you could use that as a sort of litmus test, if people laugh and Don doesn't look too bothered then you could probably get away with it. The only other thing you really need to know is no phones at all during the performance (that got extended to the support act in the UK). Most of all, enjoy!

Call it wishful thinking about the support act! Now if I'm ever lucky enough to meet JD Souther I'll have to explain to the man who wrote/co-wrote Doolin-Dalton, New Kid In Town, How Long etc. that I mistook him for a guy dressed as a magician saying 'Ballyhoo' at random intervals... :lol: The legend is probably true, I can't disagree about the length of his introductions!

tlr has a very good point about people shouting stuff. Early in the Manchester show I think there was one woman who shouted something quite funny early on and Don was amused (I can't remember what she said, although it certainly wasn't 'Don Felder taught Tom Petty to play guitar' or anything like that!)

FWIW
07-23-2016, 12:36 PM
Very excited for the show later today! As far as souvenirs, I always go for the t-shirts.

I got an email with show information. It said there is no opening act tonight; Don will start playing promptly at 8pm. Yay! It also said there is no photography permitted, but I hope Don relents and let's snap away during HC as he has done with his earlier shows.

sodascouts
07-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Eh, I don't typically go for people shouting stuff. Even if one person shouts something funny or clever, it'll encourage the people who think screaming "I LOVE YOU DON" repeatedly during quiet moments is a good idea.

With merchandise, I always buy a T-shirt with the tour dates on it for a souvenir. Typically, T-shirts are $40 now (ouch). I'm an American size 8 and a medium fits fine. I always buy a mug as well (typically $15-$20). If they have a tourbook, I'll always get that, but they don't seem to do that anymore.

Then, if I have some money left over, I see if they have anything else really cute that I want to buy. They often sell hoodies (more expensive than the T-shirts), bags, hats, and other types of merch. Since the T-shirts with the tour dates are not always very cute or flattering, I will typically buy a second T-shirt that I think will look better on me. I didn't buy any of Joe Walsh's "JOE WALSH TOOR" shirts because I am an English professor and would be embarrassed to wear that misspelling across my chest, joke or not. The last time Don visited, I got a cute ladies' T-shirt WITH tour dates, a rarity that I immediately seized upon!

I don't know if you want to go as crazy as I did, but I love "practical" tour merch like clothes and mugs that I'll be able to use 'til I wear them out, and every time I do, I think of good times.

PS No opening act - you lucky ducks! lol

RudieCantFail
07-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Thank you JCL, TLR, DD, FWIW, and SodaScouts for giving me some heads up about merchandise and the info about the lack of an opening act.

FWIW
07-24-2016, 03:18 AM
Just a quick update to say that the concert was wonderful! Don was in fine voice and seemed to be in great spirits. I plan to post a more detailed review a bit later, after I get some sleep!

RudieCantFail
07-24-2016, 03:24 AM
Yep, I definitely agree w/ FWIW. It was great, and Don's voice was wonderful. I was a little worried, since I saw a couple videos of him singing in the UK portion of the tour. I just thought he didn't sound as rich, but I just think audio/video recordings don't do him the same justice for compression or whatever magical audio recording reasons that happen in phone mics. With my own ears, it was great and sounded way better than the video. I recorded audio of about 1 hr 48 min of the concert, so Don would probably be ashamed of me. I re-listened to it in the car ride home, and it just doesn't sound as good for some reason.

eagles557
07-24-2016, 03:30 AM
Hi Rudie,
Would you mind uploading your audio of the concert? I would love to hear it.
Thanks! :)