PDA

View Full Version : Merle Haggard has died.

Brooke
04-06-2016, 01:54 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/country-music-legend-merle-haggard-dies-79-n551871

So sad and on his birthday! RIP Merle, a true country legend.

AlreadyGone95
04-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Another great musician gone. He was 79. RIP Mr. Okie from Muskogee.
http://tasteofcountry.com/merle-haggard-dead/

ETA: I see that Brooke has already created a thread for this, but I can't figure out how to delete this thread/post.

Jonny Come Lately
04-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Extremely sad to hear this, especially as I was just raving in the Cass County survivor thread about how much I enjoyed his appearance on The Cost of Living. It makes it even more special that Don sang with him on the album.

Couldn't agree more with your description of him as a true country legend. RIP Merle. :sad:

LuvTim
04-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Sad about this. :-( R.I.P. Merle Haggard.

shunlvswx
04-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Oh wow. I'm kinda not shocked with his death since he was sick for a while, but I thought he was going to pull through.

I loved his songs Mama Tried, Workin' Man Blues and Okie from Muskogee. A great singer who's still making great music and still touring until his death.

I'm glad he got to sing with Don. I do like The Cost Of Living.

RIP Merle.

buffyfan145
04-06-2016, 03:49 PM
RIP Merle. :( Heard this in the car and on his birthday too. Another legend gone this year.

VillageGirl
04-06-2016, 03:58 PM
This is so sad. May he RIP.

WalshFan88
04-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Very sad. I'm not much on classic country but you have to give credit where its due - he was a legend and a great.

RIP.

WS82Classics
04-06-2016, 06:37 PM
He and Willie Nelson put out a big hit of an album last year.

Knew Nelson had his own health issues and recently had to cancel several tour dates. Never thought Haggard would be gone so soon. RIP

DivineDon
04-07-2016, 02:37 AM
R.I.P Merle - a true country legend

Don said last year that Merle couldn't make Austin City Limits cos he was on holiday in Hawaii with Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson - I hope they had a ball

This year is really clearing out the music industry :cry:

NOLA
04-07-2016, 08:19 AM
RIP, Merle Haggard. You were a legend in country music and will be sorely missed. :(

Probably one of Don's favorite country artists. Not only did he duet on Cass County, he chose one of Merle's songs, "Silver Wings," for his playlist broadcast on the BBC.

Brooke
04-07-2016, 10:27 AM
My husband especially loved Merle. He was heartbroken to hear of his passing last night. He bought one of his albums when he was just a kid and we recently downloaded some of his songs, Mama Tried, Silver Wings, Okie From Muskogee, I'm a Lonesome Fugitive, White Line Fever, etc. Brought back lots of memories.

I watched an interview with him with Dan Rather a while back which was really good. And I'm so glad Don got to have him on his album. The Cost of Living in one of my favorites from it. :sad:

SoaringRockyMountainWay
04-07-2016, 03:08 PM
So sad to see a true country legend go. There's not a lot of real country stars out there.

SilverAcidRayne
04-07-2016, 05:21 PM
i'm so numb.

this is a bad year all around for the music industry...

Glennhoney
04-07-2016, 06:46 PM
..poor Don...lost one of his heroes........good thing he recorded Cass County when he did..

sodascouts
04-08-2016, 12:22 AM
RIP. I'm so glad Don had the opportunity to record with him before it was too late.

Jonny Come Lately
04-08-2016, 04:22 AM
I agree Soda, particularly as The Cost of Living is probably my favourite duet on the album. I think it was fantastic that Don got to him to sing on his country record.

I also agree that this has been a bad year for music so far. We have lost a lot of bona fide legends who made very different styles of music over the last 3-4 months. :depressed:

Freypower
04-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Rolling Stone has given Merle Haggard a cover.

They can do it when they wish to do so.