PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite MOMENTS In Songs??

MortSahlFan
04-17-2016, 04:35 PM
It could be a solo, a line being sung, a riff, etc etc..

Guitar solo and the vocals on "Time" by Pink Floyd.

I love the riff on "Band on the Run" during "If we ever get out of here", but especially before, the same Am-D guitar riff (I don't like the last 4 minutes of the song though!)

The piano riff in "Crime of the Century" after the break (Am-F)

The end of Stairway to Heaven, solo and after.

The tenderness of Glenn's voice in the opening verse of TNKIT - including his solo on ICTYW...

The opening piano riff on "Nineteen-Hundred and Eighty-Five"

The guitar riff from "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

The couplet during "A Day In The Life" when you can't even hear the "F" sound in the couplet.. The tenderness, but also the vibrato, trill.

"... had to laugh"
"... photograph"

I'll come back to this as I'm busy, but I didn't wanna forget, and I can't wait to read your responses :)

MortSahlFan
04-17-2016, 04:39 PM
the end of "Under Pressure" with Bowie singing.. Beautiful!

all of Hotel California - a very long moment :)
my favorite line is "Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" - because of the meaning. "You can check out any time you like, but you can NEVER l-e-a-ve" - again the rhythm, and the excitement for what's to come. Besides the guitar solo, I love Randy's pounding bass.

Jonny Come Lately
04-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks for creating this thread - I know I will have a lot of fun with this! I'll start by selecting 14 songs I love (ten by bands, four by solo artists, as I generally listen to bands more) and writing about them, I have loads more I can suggest but I don't want to take forever! I am not a musician so I can't really talk about chord sequences or key changes, I can only describe what my ears hear and how I respond to it.

Bands:
Speed King (Deep Purple) - The call-answer section mid-song between Jon Lord's organ and Ritchie Blackmore's guitar, terrific musicianship.
Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits) - The final guitar solo. I've heard it hundreds of times, yet it still amazes me.
Take The Devil (Eagles) - Thought I'd go for a more unusual one that I absolutely love. Specifically, Randy's evocative vocal as he sings the title for the final time, followed by Glenn's powerful yet atmospheric guitar solo.
The Chain (Fleetwood Mac) - The bass riff that starts about three minutes into the song leading to Lindsey's explosive guitar outro.
I Know What I Like (Genesis) - The spoken word intro ('It's one o'clock and time for lunch, dum dee dum dee dum'), always makes me laugh.
Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin) - The thunderous intro accompanied by Robert Plant's epic scream (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh, ah!).
That Smell (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - All of the choruses - it's the combination of the foreboding and spooky lyrics with the great guitar work.
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part II) (Pink Floyd) - Specifically part II, and because of that riff! First time I ever heard it really struck me, and it still has the same impact on me.
Nightswimming (R.E.M.) - Basically any of the parts where it's just the piano and the strings (arranged by John Paul Jones, I believe). Absolutely gorgeous and wonderfully nostalgic. I think it means more to me as I was born in August ('September's coming soon'...)
The Spirit of Radio (Rush) - The final verse. It's a funny parody of 'The Sound of Silence' and I love how Geddy sings those words 'And it echoes, with the sound... of salesmen, of salesmen, of... salesmen'!
Throw Down The Sword (Wishbone Ash) - The dual guitar solos at the end., one of the most powerful pieces of guitar music I've heard and the perfect follow up to the battle-weary lyrics.

Solo artists:
Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (Bob Dylan) - The 'like a fool I mixed them, and it scrambled up my mind' verse cracks me up, and it's one of those lyrics that was absolutely perfect for Bob's voice.
Train In The Distance (Don Henley) - I love the final chorus, I find this really moving with the locomotive sounds as well as Don and the backing vocals.
5.15AM (Mark Knopfler) - The verse that immediately follows the guitar solo: 'Seams blew up or cracked, Black diamonds came hard won, Generations toiled and hacked, for a pittance and black lungs'. Very poignant and poetic lyrics.
Pardon My Heart (Neil Young) - Another 'less obvious' choice but I think the guitar solo on this one is absolutely great, It conveys the sense of heartbreak of the lyrics.

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 06:49 PM
i too have a decent sized list of songs for this. BUT my most favorite is The End off Abbey Road. Ringo and that badass drum solo along with the others ripping their guitars to shreds. it like symbolizes so much in one moment.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

MortSahlFan
04-17-2016, 06:51 PM
As a non-musician, you described it very well, and even a musician should go on to explain for those who aren't.

I was going to reply to myself a second time with the quadruplets of "Sultans of Swing" but thought that would be too selfish? You probably know what I'm talking about, but for others, QUADruplets would be the 4-notes that are repeated over and over, and then in a different key, and back...

With the end of Hotel California (Joe's idea), it's a triplet (3 notes) which I think is a very fitting end.

Wow, I know Rush and Simon & Garfunkel, and without your reply, I wouldn't have noticed! Very fitting to the consumer mentality that seemed to have gone up exponentially during the early 80s (1980 exactly)..

Some other great moments would be on "Young Lust" (Pink Floyd) right before the solo, you can hear David Gilmour give a mean-sounding "hah"; I also love during "Gimme Shelter" when the female singing cracks her voice in a good way when she screams "Rape.. M[sic]" you can hear Mick go "wooh" - I like capturing true moments, even mistakes musically.

Me and a friend have a long dispute.. During the solo on "Riders On The Storm" he thinks Ray makes a mistake hitting 2 notes at the same time, I think it was done intentionally... He also thinks it's John who says "I got blisters on me fingers" - it's clearly Ringo (plus he's the drummer, duh).

Can't wait to hear more.. Be back later!

WS82Classics
04-17-2016, 07:03 PM
The first lead guitar notes on "Shine on You Crazy Diamond' all the way through to where the beat slows down again(I don't know how to mentally separate that song into parts like some do).

The final 4 minutes of Yes' "Starship Trooper," where it's all instrumental.

That end solo(where it's just guitar) in the final 20 seconds of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl."

Not something I think of often. Will probably add more later.

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 07:18 PM
How I discovered a Bowie song and fell in love with it after he left us? listened to his Young Americans album, and he has a song on there called John, I'm Only Dancing (Again). I immediately fell in love with the bass line. I mean it's funky and soooo catchy. and the vocals everything about that song is pure brilliance. I miss him dearly

MortSahlFan
04-17-2016, 07:26 PM
If it helps, if you give the specific time (and a link if possible) we'll know what you mean exactly, and someone can give it the proper term, so that some of us can learn forever!

Speaking of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", I forgot to mention that for many years I only heard the single version (Echoes: Best of Pink Floyd).. I was over an ex and music soulmate's place, and I went to play the song. In the single version, I was expecting the vocals to come in "Remember when you were young" but instead, you get another solo! And not just another solo, but the best one, and it was cut out! I even love the open string plucked and stopped suddenly. To be specific, at the 8:32 mark you can hear two guitars harmonizing...! The same term and idea right after the guitar solo on OOTN, Felder harmonizes a brief phrase with two guitars.

I also think it's real cool that at the end of the song (and album) you can hear Rick Wright play a little tribute to SYD (Shine, You Diamond) with the notes playing the vocal line of "Emily tries, but misunderstands".

Freypower
04-17-2016, 07:28 PM
i too have a decent sized list of songs for this. BUT my most favorite is The End off Abbey Road. Ringo and that badass drum solo along with the others ripping their guitars to shreds. it like symbolizes so much in one moment.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Yes.

I have never thought about this in that much detail, but I wil list two to begin with. My all time favourite musical moment is the National guitar melody which begins Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits. The second is the opening of Stairway To Heaven. The third is probably the huge orchestral chords in A Day In The Life after Paul's middle eight & the 'ah, ah ah ah' part before the last 'I read the news today, oh boy'.

It's no coincidence that those are my three favourite songs.

One more is the drums which kick off Like A Rolling Stone, and also that extraodinary organ by Al Kooper.

More later.

buffyfan145
04-17-2016, 07:39 PM
I know this will be hard for me too because I have moments like this with almost every song I like. LOL So it's a very long list and a lot I've already seen mentioned. I will say sometimes various guitar solos and instrumentals are very influential to me as a writer. Some scenes I'll imagine to these easily.

NOLA
04-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Great idea for a topic, MSF! Here are a few of my favorites:

- The intro of OOTN. Randy's bass lines coupled with Don F.'s searing chords make for an exhilarating start.

- The intro of LITFL. Joe's exercise in coordination goes down as one of the most unmistakeable guitar riffs in rock.

- The intro of TEOTI. Bruce Hornsby's piano virtuosity made this song into a beautiful piece of art.

- The horn section at the end of SG. Along with the synthesizers, the horns just kick that long ending up a few notches.

- John Entwistle's bass lines in "Who Are You." He was to the bass like Keith Moon was to the drums.

- Roger Daltrey's epic screams in "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Love Reign O'er Me." No one can belt like that rock 'n roll Titan.

- The intro of the Bee Gees' "Jive Talkin'." Rumored to have mimicked the sound of driving across a bridge, it moves the body to the rhythm.

MortSahlFan
04-17-2016, 08:04 PM
Great idea for a topic, MSF! Here are a few of my favorites:

- The intro of OOTN. Randy's bass lines coupled with Don F.'s searing chords make for an exhilarating start.

- The intro of LITFL. Joe's exercise in coordination goes down as one of the most unmistakeable guitar riffs in rock.

- The intro of TEOTI. Bruce Hornsby's piano virtuosity made this song into a beautiful piece of art.

- The horn section at the end of SG. Along with the synthesizers, the horns just kick that long ending up a few notches.

- John Entwistle's bass lines in "Who Are You." He was to the bass like Keith Moon was to the drums.

- Roger Daltrey's epic screams in "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Love Reign O'er Me." No one can belt like that rock 'n roll Titan.

- The intro of the Bee Gees' "Jive Talkin'." Rumored to have mimicked the sound of driving across a bridge, it moves the body to the rhythm.

Thank you, I thought you guys would like it.. I hope people post things they love, each thread is a whole new dimension, and I always love reading, even if I can't contribute.

Don't you mean Felder's bass line on OOTN? :)

What's "SG"? (I'm not very good at acronyms, sorry!)

I also LOVE that scream.. Roger can sing so softly, too (Behind Blue Eyes).. That song along has such a wide spectrum of emotion.

Bee Gees - Nights On Broadway - I absolutely melt when I hear the part "I will wait, even if it takes forever. I will way-eee-ate..... Even if it takes a lifetime, takes a lifetimeeeeeee!"

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 08:05 PM
a day in the life YES. lol

four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire. There's The Guess Who with American Woman, the beginning of that. its got that blues kick. Hendrix, Are You Experienced? the beginning of that. So many moments man.Zeppelin... Fool In The Rain where that whistle comes in I'm automatically salsa dancing LOL

NOLA
04-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Thank you, I thought you guys would like it.. I hope people post things they love, each thread is a whole new dimension, and I always love reading, even if I can't contribute.

Don't you mean Felder's bass line on OOTN? :)

What's "SG"? (I'm not very good at acronyms, sorry!)

I also LOVE that scream.. Roger can sing so softly, too (Behind Blue Eyes).. That song along has such a wide spectrum of emotion.

Bee Gees - Nights On Broadway - I absolutely melt when I hear the part "I will wait, even if it takes forever. I will way-eee-ate..... Even if it takes a lifetime, takes a lifetimeeeeeee!"

SG is "Sunset Grill." And, agree about "Behind Blue Eyes." Love Roger's vocal range - soft to hard and back again. I'm a Who fan.

Also, Barry Gibb's whispered vocals on "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart." Major sigh!

MortSahlFan
04-17-2016, 08:22 PM
a day in the life YES. lol

four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire. There's The Guess Who with American Woman, the beginning of that. its got that blues kick. Hendrix, Are You Experienced? the beginning of that. So many moments man.Zeppelin... Fool In The Rain where that whistle comes in I'm automatically salsa dancing LOL

Both songs by Lennon, but his rap is amazing.. On the song you mentioned "Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall (Hall has beautiful falsetto), as well as "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" during the verses.. That's REAL rap. Real instruments, real singing, real heart, real writing.

The vocals on King of Hollywood, it's a perfect match.. Glenn sings the high parts, Don sings the low parts. Fits. The solos are amazing, especially Glenn and Felder's.

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 08:29 PM
Both songs by Lennon, but his rap is amazing.. On the song you mentioned "Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall (Hall has beautiful falsetto), as well as "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" during the verses.. That's REAL rap. Real instruments, real singing, real heart, real writing.

The vocals on King of Hollywood, it's a perfect match.. Glenn sings the high parts, Don sings the low parts. Fits. The solos are amazing, especially Glenn and Felder's.

Happiness Is A Warm Gun is my jam.

"She's well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand like a lizard on the window pane" i've read so many stories behind this song lol I am a massive beatles fan there are so many moments. If you have not heard the anthology series you should... it was released on Spotify and my favorite outtake is definitely Helter Skelter. it's raw and dirty the awesomeness of Mc Cartney

MortSahlFan
04-17-2016, 08:47 PM
The slower version of Helter Skelter, right? I like it a little more myself.

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 08:55 PM
The slower version of Helter Skelter, right? I like it a little more myself.

yes that one. love it

Freypower
04-17-2016, 08:56 PM
The chorus of Nights On Broadway... 'singing them love songs/singing them straight to the heart songs... singing them sweet sounds/to that crazy crazy town'. The most basic they ever got.

The last chorus of Africa by Toto & the way it just swells up:

'Gonna take a lot to take me away from you (DAH DAH DAH DAH...)
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa'....

The acoustic guitar opening of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury HIll
The keyboard riff opening of Genesis' That's All
The guitar riff of Genesis' I Can't Dance
Anything in the entire Beatles catalogue.

The clavinet in Superstition & Trampled Underfoot.

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Bee Gees! lol

the beginning of Lonely Days....

Freypower
04-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Bee Gees! lol

the beginning of Lonely Days....

And the end of it. 'wherewouldIbewithoutmywoman' the way Barry sings that so fast. I saw them do it. Fantastic song.

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 09:04 PM
And the end of it. 'wherewouldIbewithoutmywoman' the way Barry sings that so fast. I saw them do it. Fantastic song.

it sure is... they were awesome.

WS82Classics
04-17-2016, 09:28 PM
From some of my all-time favourite songs, The first notes of ELP's "From the Beginning."

The middle, mellower section of the Moody Blues' "Question."

Those opening fiddles, as well as that final electric guitar note on the Youngbloods' "Darkness, Darkness."

All of 10cc's "I'm Not in Love."

The accelerated musical action towards the middle, and also the electric guitar, banjo, and fiddle outro to "Journey of the Sorcerer."

The final verse of Pink Floyd's "Dogs," where Roger Waters is shouting every negative thing I have ever felt.

WS82Classics
04-17-2016, 09:33 PM
If it helps, if you give the specific time (and a link if possible) we'll know what you mean exactly, and someone can give it the proper term, so that some of us can learn forever!

Starts either at or ever-so-slightly before 4 minutes into the song. Guitar solos, then mournful synthesizer soloing before launching into the accelerating guitar tones.

MortSahlFan
04-17-2016, 09:35 PM
The beginning of "From The Beginning" sounds a tiny bit like the beginning of Yes' "Roundabout".

The four songs I like by 10cc are SO different from each other.
-One Night In Paris
-I'm Not In Love
-Dreadlock Holiday
-The Things We For Love

"Dogs" is one of my favorite songs ever.. l think Roger Waters is the greatest lyricist ever. And he wrote most of the music too.

WS82Classics
04-17-2016, 09:50 PM
The beginning of "From The Beginning" sounds a tiny bit like the beginning of Yes' "Roundabout".

"Dogs" is one of my favorite songs ever.. l think Roger Waters is the greatest lyricist ever. And he wrote most of the music too.

My mother noted the similarities between them, too. :-)

Pink Floyd-wise, Richard Wright's tickling of the ivories on parts of the song "If" from the "Atom Heart Mother" album is stunning in its beauty and simplicity.

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 11:37 PM
a lot of AM Radio i've been into also. fell in love with Carly Simon's Legend In Your Own Time. Joni Mitchell. "Help Me" the harmonies. I'm a huge harmony fan

MortSahlFan
04-18-2016, 09:19 AM
I forgot Robby Krieger's solo in "Light My Fire" - which is cut out from a lot of radio. And with the same band, "Waiting for you to tell me what went wrong"

(still after 20 years I get chills, wow, that's how you know it's timeless!)

On "Lyin' Eyes" I always love "and pours herself a strong one" - again Glenn's tender vocals..

Prettymaid
04-19-2016, 08:00 AM
One of my all time favorite moments comes in the album version of Jackson Browne's For Everyman at the drum roll and crescendo. Start listening for it around 4:45 and that gorgeous crescendo happens at 5:15. I love it so much that I don't enjoy listening to any other version.

http://youtu.be/Qbvq1oYAvNA

FWIW
04-19-2016, 01:17 PM
This might not be what you had in mind, as it's a song and video moment, but I'll mention it anyway. I love the end of Take It To the Limit from the 1977 show at the Capital Centre. It's at about 4:15 in this version. Randy nails the high notes and the video cuts to Glenn who looks so proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hmF_IX9Ic

Brooke
04-19-2016, 01:34 PM
One of my all time favorites is from my all time favorite Eagles song-the opening chords of Take It Easy. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. And now, it also makes me sad because I also now think of Glenn and that he's gone.

WS82Classics
04-19-2016, 02:33 PM
The piano and drum-cymbal climax on the Eagles' "Hollywood Waltz" is sort of cathartic in its own way.

Jonny Come Lately
04-19-2016, 03:52 PM
One of my all time favorites is from my all time favorite Eagles song-the opening chords of Take It Easy. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. And now, it also makes me sad because I also now think of Glenn and that he's gone.

Same here! From the first time I heard TIE I was immediately struck by the intro, and I've absolutely loved it ever since. It's one of those songs that I can pick multiple great moments from - the Winslow Arizona verse and the combination of the harmony vocals and banjo during the bridge near the end.

There have been a few additions to this thread that I wished I'd thought of myself, mostly by Eagles and Floyd. Hollywood Waltz is a song that I tend to forget how much I enjoy - I never really think about it as one of my favourites, but it's a good, solid addition to their discography and the climax is a highlight. That's kind of how I feel about the OOTN album as a whole, which I tend to think of last in my personal rankings yet when I think about it I really enjoy most of it. Another moment I love from that album is the bridge in Too Many Hands - I really dig Randy's bass playing that starts at 2:49 and ends at 3:07. It's a neat addition to the song and adds an extra dimension alongside the guitar parts.

Two other big favourite moments of mine are the guitar and bass parts in the mid-section of LITFL (from 2:29 to 2:46), and the acoustic guitar at the end of Bitter Creek when Bernie's solo starts to emerge at about 4:10 with those haunting vocals locked into the song's groove, absolutely love that part and I can and do listen to it over and over sometimes.

I am delighted to see the mentions for Pink Floyd's Dogs - the Animals album has so many great moments. One of my favourite moments from Dogs is the section starting at 4:46 where the acoustic guitar and dog barks come in. I find it difficult to describe but it's dark in a very powerful way. Although a bit too long to count as 'moments', I also love the mid-section of Pigs (Three Different Ones) with the talk-box solo between about 4-7 minutes in, and the beautiful yet lightly chilling piano intro to Sheep, especially once the bass starts rumbling in the background about 30 seconds in. It really creates a sense of there being 'a certain unease in the air'.

MortSahlFan
04-19-2016, 04:22 PM
This might not be what you had in mind, as it's a song and video moment, but I'll mention it anyway. I love the end of Take It To the Limit from the 1977 show at the Capital Centre. It's at about 4:15 in this version. Randy nails the high notes and the video cuts to Glenn who looks so proud.

Wow. That's exactly what I had in mind. The vocal was amazing, but the humanity with Glenn. Thank you so much. I remember it, I've seen that concert a few times, but you reminded me. Thanks again.

NightMistBlue
04-19-2016, 04:32 PM

Yes, we're very proud of that song in Miami. The chucka-chucka sound made by their car's tires while driving over Sunny Isles Bridge to their home on Miami Beach caused Linda Gibb to remark to her husband Barry one day, "that's the drive talking." He immediately came up with the chorus to Jive Talkin'. Poor Linda didn't get a co-writing credit but that's the breaks :)

Even now, when I see that bridge I think of it as "the Jive Talkin' bridge." Unfortunately, they did a major overhaul/renovation of the bridge in about 2000 and it doesn't make the chucka-chucka sound anymore, it's very smooth.

My favorite moment in a song: "In the Evening" by Led Zeppelin - Jimmy's guitar solo. Sounds like he's literally pulling the strings off his guitar. Somehow, it's still musical and explosive.

I must say Jimmy's guitar solo in "Dazed and Confused" is massively exciting as well. Page knows how to build tension and set it off in spectacular fashion. He's the meistro, no two ways about it.

NightMistBlue
04-19-2016, 04:42 PM
I am delighted to see the mentions for Pink Floyd's Dogs - the Animals album has so many great moments. One of my favourite moments from Dogs is the section starting at 4:46 where the acoustic guitar and dog barks come in. I find it difficult to describe but it's dark in a very powerful way. Although a bit too long to count as 'moments', I also love the mid-section of Pigs (Three Different Ones) with the talk-box solo between about 4-7 minutes in, and the beautiful yet lightly chilling piano intro to Sheep, especially once the bass starts rumbling in the background about 30 seconds in. It really creates a sense of there being 'a certain unease in the air'.

Jonny is much too young to know about 8-tracks, but my older brothers had several Pink Floyd albums on 8-tracks, including Animals and Dark Side of the Moon. I used to listen to Animals over & over; Dogs was my favorite track because of Gilmour's brilliant guitar playing and singing. It's hard to pick one moment but his first solo about 2 minutes in - whew.

Jonny Come Lately
04-19-2016, 04:45 PM
One Led Zeppelin moment I love is Robert Plant's almost standalone vocal just after the four minute mark in Whole Lotta Love. I'll try and replicate his awesome performance in writing:

Way down inside, WO-MAN, you need it..,[guitar lick]...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE!

Another of my favourite Robert vocals is the call-and-answer section in the final minute of You Shook Me on the first album where he screams before and after each of Jimmy's guitar licks before his spectacular scream at the end. In the early Led Zep days, especially 1968-71 (basically the I-IV era) he had quite extraordinary pipes, no wonder he suffered a few problems with his voice as the 1970s progressed!

ETA: I've heard of 8-tracks, although I've never seen an 8-track cartridge and certainly never listened to any music in the format! But oddly enough I think it's only thanks to Animals that I know of them - the 8-track version of Animals was slightly different as it had the 'full' version of Pigs on the Wing with Snowy White's guitar solo, as opposed to the two halves of it that bookend the longer, darker tracks on the standard editions. I think the album works better with the song split in half, but the full version makes more sense as a standalone song.

NightMistBlue
04-19-2016, 04:51 PM
LOL, your transcription is pretty good. That song scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid: the swirling vortex into Hell portion which you describe.

Jimmy's power chord crunch riff is irresistible though, it never gets old, it's always thrilling.

WS82Classics
04-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Zeppelin-wise, John Paul Jones' piano intro to "South-Bound Saurez" is so chillingly mind-altering in the best ways. Same goes for that pulsating synth at the intro and throughout "Carouselambra," easily the most under-rated of Zeppelin's long songs.

The way the lead guitar and the organ meld together on "Dancing Days" is also pretty sweet. Another amazing Zep moment is the guitar solos after the vocals at the end of "Over the Hills and Far Away."

On another note, Chris Wood's Saxophone solo in the final minute of Traffic's "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" is probably one of the most incredible moments in all of music.

MortSahlFan
04-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Besides Gilmour's great vocals (the chord Dm9 is also great, especially with the acoustic) in the song "Dogs" from 5:30 right before the vocals, the last few seconds of the guitar solo is too great... I'm still in awe many years later.. I also love how "You'll reap the harvest you have sown" is double-tracked vocally.

SilverAcidRayne
04-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Now that I see Traffic mentioned, Empty Pages. just the beat of that song alone is awesome.

Steve Winwood is beautiful.

WS82Classics
04-19-2016, 07:35 PM
The first notes of one of their instrumentals, the "John Barleycorn Must Die" album opener 'Glad,' get me going every time.

And the verse from 'Freedom Rider' that goes "When lightning strikes you to the bone, you turn around, you're on your own. By the time you hear that siren sound, then your soul is in the lost and found FOREVER. Forever!!!" always makes me crack a smile. Every. Time.

Also have to admit that the ''oooh-aaahhhh, oooh-aaahhhh'' one hears after the beginning verse of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" gives me a glowing feeling.

Must say it is kinda fun recalling all these great songs!

Prettymaid
04-19-2016, 08:24 PM

I agree, FWIW. I remember when I got my HOTE doc and concert DVD and heard Randy hit and hold that note at 4:21 in your video...well, it raised the hairs on my neck! Such a great moment. And yes, the smile on Glenn's face as he listens to the cheers from the crowd is worth a thousand words.

MortSahlFan
04-20-2016, 06:16 AM
Glenn's singing in "Doolin' Dalton"

"Well, the towns lay out across the dusty plains
Like graveyards filled with tombstones, waitin' for the names"

NOLA
04-20-2016, 09:42 AM
A couple from On The Border:

The bridge in the title track:

"Never mind your name
Just give us your number
Never mind your face
Just show us your card
And we wanna know
Whose wing are you under?
You better step to the right
Or we can make it hard"

As well as Glenn's, "Hmm, you in some trouble, boy."

Don's sultry sexy lead vocal in "You Never Cry Like a Lover."

MortSahlFan
04-20-2016, 10:28 AM

"Never mind your name
Just give us your number
Never mind your face
Just show us your card
And we wanna know
Or we can make it hard"

"We know where you've be-e-n"!

I like the guitar solo in "You Never Cry...". The tone sounds like Felder? "Is it true?" (also a good song)

NightMistBlue
04-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Besides Gilmour's great vocals (the chord Dm9 is also great, especially with the acoustic) in the song "Dogs" from 5:30 right before the vocals, the last few seconds of the guitar solo is too great... I'm still in awe many years later.. I also love how "You'll reap the harvest you have sown" is double-tracked vocally.

Have you heard the demo/early mix? Waters sings the first bit, that was fortunately (for the listener) taken by Gilmour in the final cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nw6j0MSW_s

SilverAcidRayne
04-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Cant forget Janis Joplin. when she absolutely SLAYED Monterey Pop. when she does "Ball and Chain" that's one whole moment and I don't move. the chills I feel down to my soul man...

MortSahlFan
04-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Have you heard the demo/early mix? Waters sings the first bit, that was fortunately (for the listener) taken by Gilmour in the final cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nw6j0MSW_s

Yup. I read Gilmour say in an article that he couldn't physically do it.. There's another demo that has twice as many words in the same amount of time, when it was still called "You Gotta Be Crazy"

DJ
04-20-2016, 02:13 PM

"Never mind your name
Just give us your number
Never mind your face
Just show us your card
And we wanna know
Or we can make it hard"

I have always enjoyed that particular part of that song too Nola.

DJ
04-20-2016, 02:18 PM
My favorite song lyric moment is in Ol' 55
when Glenn sings; I'm Headed Home From Your Place..............I think he put his own lyric here, just as he had in Peaceful Easy Feeling when he sings "lay" and "sway".

The Ol' 55 just brings me back to a younger time, of heading home....

:smitten:

Freypower
04-20-2016, 06:07 PM
I knew we had a topic on favourite moments in Eagles songs.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4576

Jonny Come Lately
04-20-2016, 06:08 PM
I like the guitar solo in "You Never Cry...". The tone sounds like Felder? "Is it true?" (also a good song)

I'm fairly sure Bernie plays the solo on YNCLAL - it definitely isn't Felder because it was one of only two tracks from the On The Border album that survived from the sessions they did in London with Glyn Johns before they replaced him with Szymczyk. It's probable that Glenn plays the piano on the song too. I asked Austin (WalshFan88) and he thinks the lead guitar was probably a Telecaster, which again suggests it was Bernie. It's in the Guitar Info thread in the Eagles section of the board. I agree in liking the solo a lot, and I think the song itself rocks. I love the dynamics, with the contrast between the quieter moments with the piano to the more intense guitar leads and then back again but with an added sense of resignation at the end. It fits the lyrics and mood of the song perfectly - the guitar solo in particular represents the sort of love the narrator longs for. I can understand why some women are a bit put off by the way he expressed his feelings, but I don't think Don and J.D. were being horrible about it, just disappointed. I can really feel and understand the emotion in the song even though I've never been in that exact situation myself.

The Dogs demo is interesting, but I'm definitely glad that David did the vocals on the first half of the song, which are certainly amongst his most powerful. By contrast, I think Roger's voice was perfect for Pigs (3DO) and Sheep - the lyrics on the former are exceptionally acerbic, even by Roger's standards, and too vitriolic to suit David, while I think David would have struggled to hit the high notes on latter that Roger reaches (I believe David wanted to play Sheep on the post-Waters Momentary Lapse tour, but they ultimately decided not to because he wouldn't have been able to sing it every night).

NMB, your comment about Led Zeppelin reminded me of another thing about Whole Lotta Love. I have long since suspected that my Mum's idea of musical hell would probably bear quite a resemblance to the mid-section with Robert's moaning and groaning and the theremin solo. I've never actually played it to her, but I know she'd hate it!

MortSahlFan
04-20-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm fairly sure Bernie plays the solo on YNCLAL - it definitely isn't Felder because it was one of only two tracks from the On The Border album that survived from the sessions they did in London with Glyn Johns before they replaced him with Szymczyk. It's probable that Glenn plays the piano on the song too. I asked Austin (WalshFan88) and he thinks the lead guitar was probably a Telecaster, which again suggests it was Bernie. It's in the Guitar Info thread in the Eagles section of the board. I agree in liking the solo a lot, and I think the song itself rocks. I love the dynamics, with the contrast between the quieter moments with the piano to the more intense guitar leads and then back again but with an added sense of resignation at the end. It fits the lyrics and mood of the song perfectly - the guitar solo in particular represents the sort of love the narrator longs for. I can understand why some women are a bit put off by the way he expressed his feelings, but I don't think Don and J.D. were being horrible about it, just disappointed. I can really feel and understand the emotion in the song even though I've never been in that exact situation myself.

The Dogs demo is interesting, but I'm definitely glad that David did the vocals on the first half of the song, which are certainly amongst his most powerful. By contrast, I think Roger's voice was perfect for Pigs (3DO) and Sheep - the lyrics on the former are exceptionally acerbic, even by Roger's standards, and too vitriolic to suit David, while I think David would have struggled to hit the high notes on latter that Roger reaches (I believe David wanted to play Sheep on the post-Waters Momentary Lapse tour, but they ultimately decided not to because he wouldn't have been able to sing it every night).

NMB, your comment about Led Zeppelin reminded me of another thing about Whole Lotta Love. I have long since suspected that my Mum's idea of musical hell would probably bear quite a resemblance to the mid-section with Robert's moaning and groaning and the theremin solo. I've never actually played it to her, but I know she'd hate it!

I remember David saying he didn't feel he'd do the song justice without Roger's venom. I saw Roger play it on the Dark Side tours a few years ago.

I have to admit Robert's moaning annoys me.. I also wonder how Led Zeppelin would have sounded with Terry Reid, who I think is a better singer. "Seeds of Memory" is a very nice song.

WS82Classics
05-11-2016, 12:52 AM
Moody Blues edition...

The all string/woodwind section right at the end of "Tuesday Afternoon," as it is about to transition over to the 'Days of Future Past' hidden album track "Evening(Time to Get Away)," is so captivating and, in my head, is the sound of pure love.

The flute solo on "Nights in White Satin" is a very stunning, haunting musical piece.

Mike Pinder's Mellotron at the very end of "Legend of a Mind," where he is simulating the sound of an airplane taking off, is simply epic. No other way to put it.

The guitar work on the Justin Hayward/10cc collaboration "Blue Guitar" is the envy of any guitar player, especially that ascending, wailing climax towards the song's finish.

chaim
05-11-2016, 03:14 AM
New Kid In Town: The bridge, which takes the song SO beautifully to the third verse in a different key

10cc - Don't Hang Up: When it goes back to the main piano pattern after the long "middle section". When Kevin sings the words "marriage on the rocks", that's an unbelievably beautiful moment. The combination of chords, sounds and melody.

Genesis - Mad Man Moon: After the middle section, when it goes back to the final verse. Again, unbelievably beautiful. Banks himself loves that bit, too.

I'll probably be adding stuff...

NightMistBlue
05-11-2016, 10:21 AM
The guitar work on the Justin Hayward/10cc collaboration "Blue Guitar" is the envy of any guitar player, especially that ascending, wailing climax towards the song's finish.

Oh I didn't know they (Hayward & Lodge) collaborated with 10cc on that song, how interesting. I saw the Moodies in concert for the first time recently, they were excellent.

NightMistBlue
05-11-2016, 10:34 AM
One of my all time favorites is from my all time favorite Eagles song-the opening chords of Take It Easy. It never fails to bring a smile to my face.

The opening chords are thrilling; you feel the hot summer wind blow back your hair. My singing teacher wants me to sing the song in a higher key, G is a bit low for me, but I just can't part with those intro chords (played on guitar, of course, I don't mean I try to sing them!). They don't sound the same transposed to other keys.

jms18222
05-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Simply Don Henley at his best, still don't see how he thinks this is the most hopeful song he has ever wrote but I just love this part:

And I've been waiting in the weeds
Waiting for the dust to settle down along the
Back roads running through the fields
Lying on the outskirts of this lonesome town
And I imagine sunlight in your hair
You're at the county fair
You're holding hands and laughing
And now the ferris wheel has stopped
You're swinging on the top
Suspended there with him
And he's the darling of the chic
The flavor of the week is melting
Down your pretty summer dress
Baby, what a mess you're making

chaim
05-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Moody Blues edition...

The all string/woodwind section right at the end of "Tuesday Afternoon," as it is about to transition over to the 'Days of Future Past' hidden album track "Evening(Time to Get Away)," is so captivating and, in my head, is the sound of pure love.

The flute solo on "Nights in White Satin" is a very stunning, haunting musical piece.

Mike Pinder's Mellotron at the very end of "Legend of a Mind," where he is simulating the sound of an airplane taking off, is simply epic. No other way to put it.

Now that you mentioned that song, I love Ray's flute bit somewhere in the middle.

WS82Classics
05-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer moments...

Keith Emerson's piano on "Take a Pebble," starting at around 6:25.

The guitar solo in the middle of "Lucky Man," as well as the synthesizer/keyboard solos at the end.

Those searing keyboards all throughout the song "Jerusalem."

That gentle plucking of the guitar strings between the first chorus and the second stanza of the song "Still...You Turn Me On." So simple & so sweet. When I envision serenading a young lass, that is the song I'm always playing.

The synth & keyboard outro to "Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman," starting at around 16:30.

WS82Classics
05-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Now that you mentioned that song, I love Ray's flute bit somewhere in the middle.

That part is pretty awesome, as well. There are many a great moment in that particular song.

WS82Classics
06-30-2016, 01:47 AM
There's a moment in the song "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes after the final verse is sung, right before the piano coda, where band members are shouting "whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa."

You'd have to listen very closely to catch it, but it just adds a certain energetic angst to a song that requires that sort of feeling.

Jonny Come Lately
07-04-2016, 06:33 PM
One piece of music I absolutely love that I've just been reminded of after listening to it is the wonderfully mournful sounding harmonica solo at the end of Bob Dylan's You're A Big Girl.

A couple of others I don't think I've mentioned: I love the piano in the final 30 seconds of Neil Young's I Believe In You, and the 'Did you ever really love somebody' verse of Led Zeppelin's Ten Years Gone (great combination of music, lyrics and vocals).

Ive always been a dreamer
07-04-2016, 07:26 PM
I heard this song today and it reminded me of this thread - I absolutely love the chorus' in Bob Seger's Turn the Page. And speaking of Seger, another favorite of mine is the end of Against the Wind when he and Glenn keep repeating those words - one of the finest examples of high quality repetition I've ever heard. :grin:

MortSahlFan
07-04-2016, 10:04 PM
There's a moment in the song "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes after the final verse is sung, right before the piano coda, where band members are shouting "whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa."

You'd have to listen very closely to catch it, but it just adds a certain energetic angst to a song that requires that sort of feeling.

I love that, but I really love the screaming guitar solo, only 5 notes, played on the 15th fret (around there), crying hysterically.

Jonny Come Lately
08-17-2016, 03:57 PM
A few more personal favourite moments I'd like to mention:

- The conclusion of the Desperado Reprise with the Eagles repeatedly singing 'Desperado'. This section features some of their very finest harmony vocals and is spine tingling on record and even better live (especially the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert version). I also love Don's drumming on this part of the song and Bernie's banjo that appears near the end of the studio version.
- The main riff on Led Zeppelin's The Wanton Song, which effectively acts as that song's chorus.
- The beginning of Neil Young's Like A Hurricane. This song was played at a funeral I went to recently, and the sudden introduction took on even greater power than usual.
- The melodic guitar solo in Lynyrd Skynyrd's I Never Dreamed that starts around 3:02 into the song.
- The final verse of Fleetwood Mac's Silver Springs, starting from the point when Stevie first sings 'I'll follow you down 'til the sound of my voice will haunt you'.
- Jon Lord's amazing organ solos on Deep Purple's Highway Star.
- The harmonica on Bob Dylan's original Mr Tambourine Man that precedes the final verse, which is a great moment in itself thanks to the wonderfully vivid imagery of the lyrics (such as 'through the haunted frightened trees, out to the windy beach'..., fantastic stuff).