PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone Special Edition Tribute to the Eagles

Ive always been a dreamer
04-24-2016, 12:38 AM
This was posted in Glenn's remembrance thread, but since it's a tribute to the band, I thought I would start a thread in this forum.

So - they did it. After so many of us were outraged that Glenn did not get a cover story at the time of his passing, Rolling Stone magazine has published a special tribute edition to the band. It should be available now.

I won't be able to pick one up until Monday, but if anyone gets it before then, please let us know what you think about it.

AlreadyGone95
04-24-2016, 12:51 AM
It took them long enough, but I'm glad they finally did it.

Fastlane posted the cover. It's the same photo that was used for the cover in 1979. In case anyone is curious....
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/FB_IMG_1461473023567_zpsffddqnyu.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/kim_dixon2/media/FB_IMG_1461473023567_zpsffddqnyu.jpg.html)

I won't be able to buy myself a copy until May, but a friend agreed to buy it for me if he sees it before then.

Tori
04-24-2016, 03:08 AM
I'm really excited about this! Gonna look at Walmart tomorrow. If they don't have it yet, I'll keep checking, or just go to a Barnes and Noble once I get home for the summer.

buffyfan145
04-24-2016, 09:55 AM
That's great they finally did it. I'm going shopping later today but I'm not sure if they'll have it yet, but I will get this. :)

Lisa
04-24-2016, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't be certain of this, but I have supposed that Glenn Frey would have been a friend of Jann Wenner, who founded Rolling Stone magazine.

sodascouts
04-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Actually they seemed to have a bit of an antagonistic relationship with RS but I'm very glad to see this. I plan on picking up a copy tomorrow.

MaryCalifornia
04-24-2016, 05:51 PM
I wish that the cover concept somehow acknowledged that Glenn died. I don't get it. Is it a coincidence that this issue is published three months after his death? Why not "Glenn Frey 1948-2016" somewhere on there?

sodascouts
04-24-2016, 06:48 PM
Good point. They do these kind of special issues called "ultimate guides" for bands regularly. It may have been commissioned before his death. Since the cover doesn't even acknowledge his death but instead advertises Don Henley talking about the albums as its main feature, it's certainly not presenting itself as a tribute.

UndertheWire
04-24-2016, 07:06 PM
As most of the material comes from their archives, it could have been planned, in outline, for some time and have just been waiting for someone from the band to provide something new to complete it. Is the article on Joe new?

buffyfan145
04-24-2016, 07:37 PM
I didn't find it today but I did see some more postings on FaceBook about it and it does include Cameron Crowe's tribute he did for Glenn as well as I think other articles they had about Glenn after he passed. The screencaps I saw on FB too seem to indicated it will have a lot of pictures as well. Don talking about the albums is new as he talks about how "Long Road Out of Eden" is the band's final album now. Hopefully I'll find it in the next couple days or this weekend. It'll be perfect for my space I've created to put all my Eagles stuff now as I needed a picture of them like I have a framed Beatles one.

Freypower
04-24-2016, 07:40 PM
I am glad they have done this, but I wish they had shown more imagination with the cover.

I agree that they could have had a small cover line acknowledging Glenn.

GlennLover
04-24-2016, 09:03 PM
I am glad they have done this, but I wish they had shown more imagination with the cover.

I agree that they could have had a small cover line acknowledging Glenn.

So do I. I was looking for something when I first saw the cover.

Glennhoney
04-24-2016, 09:37 PM
So do I. I was looking for something when I first saw the cover.
Let me know when you find it please..I imagine it won't be until next for us in Canada..

Glennsallnighter
04-25-2016, 05:07 AM
I hope I will be able to get it here, - tried over the weekend a few times but no joy as yet.

UndertheWire
04-25-2016, 05:59 AM
I found one copy on ebay.com but probably not for shipping overseas.
For the UK and Ireland, this looks promising
http://www.newsstand.co.uk/195-Rock-Music-Magazines/4441-Subscribe-to-ROLLING-STONE-PRESENTS-Magazine-Subscription.aspx

L101
04-25-2016, 08:11 AM
I hope I will be able to get it here, - tried over the weekend a few times but no joy as yet.

Let me know if you get one - I'm not sure if I can get one where I am (now) :grin:

DivineDon
04-25-2016, 09:30 AM
I'm dying to get one as well - it looks very promising :)

L101
04-25-2016, 10:03 AM
I'm dying to get one as well - it looks very promising :)

I'll let you know if I find one - probably need to give it another week before we start looking here.

DivineDon
04-25-2016, 11:02 AM

Brooke
04-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Thank goodness! But it's not really a tribute to Glenn.

Can't wait to find it myself!

Freypower
04-25-2016, 05:48 PM
I doubt it will be sold here. I have already requested elsewhere that someone who has my address send it to me.

AlreadyGone95
04-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Has anyone found it yet? My Nana gave me some money to spend on whatever, so I'm about to check my local Books A Million store. It's the only place I know that sells RS here.

ETA: BAM didn't have it yet. but they're getting a shipment of music magazines in tomorrow. It should be in that shipment.

WS82Classics
04-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Bought it at Barnes & Noble earlier today. $12.99 cover price.

Great so far!

Tiffanny Twisted
04-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Not inyet in pa
Still lookiNg

shunlvswx
04-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Bought it at Barnes & Noble earlier today. $12.99 cover price.

Great so far!

That sounds about right. That's how much I paid for the David Bowie special edition. I think the special edition usually cost almost 13.00 dollars. Friday can't get here any faster.

NOLA
04-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Just called my local B&N. The issue is on the stands. So happy! :)

SoaringRockyMountainWay
04-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Has anyone found it anywhere besides Barnes & Noble? There's not one of those in my area. My grandma accidentally spilled the beans to me that she went to Meijer to get it for my birthday. She said the only Rolling Stone magazine that was there had a "very ugly pop group" on it. I said "Grandma, I can promise you that the guys I'm looking for on the cover are not ugly." :wink:

shunlvswx
04-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Books a Million usually sell Rolling Stone too. I'm going there on Friday.

buffyfan145
04-27-2016, 09:07 PM
I checked my local Kroger tonight and did see other tribute magazines for The Doors and Pink Floyd with their other magazines, but no Eagles one yet. I am going shopping this weekend where there will be multiple stores (Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Kroger, Best Buy) so I should find it hopefully at least at one of those. All of them have sold magazines like this in the past. The closest Barnes & Noble to me is at least 30 mins away, so hopefully won't have to travel too far.

shunlvswx
04-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Also don't forget to look for the Guitar Techniques magazine that Glenn is in. I thought it was not sold in the US, but it actually is and I do remember seeing that magazine when I was buying David Bowie's Rolling Stone special edition.

cheryl
04-28-2016, 02:39 AM
I found the Guitar Techniques at Wal-Mart and Books a Million. I live in central Indiana. But the Rolling Stone edition is not available here yet. All the other special editions are available everywhere here, of course. The nearest Barnes and Noble for me is 40 miles away near Indianapolis. The price of the Guitar magazine is $7.99.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-28-2016, 06:32 AM
I got it

Yipee
Barnes and noble
Came in last night ,

Tiffanny Twisted
04-28-2016, 06:33 AM
Has anyone found it anywhere besides Barnes & Noble? There's not one of those in my area. My grandma accidentally spilled the beans to me that she went to Meijer to get it for my birthday. She said the only Rolling Stone magazine that was there had a "very ugly pop group" on it. I said "Grandma, I can promise you that the guys I'm looking for on the cover are not ugly." :wink:

Lol beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Witchy Woman
04-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Finally found one in Marlton !! Yay !!

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae260/Jack_Bauer24/13118966_10205641973391136_6134099036261477941_n.j pg

LuvTim
04-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Found it at Barnes and Noble after checking several other stores closer to me.
Bought 2 copies. The guy at the check-out said they'd been going out the door 2 at a time all day.

buffyfan145
04-28-2016, 08:08 PM
I did see that Barnes & Nobel does have the Bowie tribute mag and others ones like it on their website, so that might be a future option for those of us that can't find it. Hopefully I'll be able to get it this weekend but I'm going to keep this in mind since I don't have a B&N close to me.

Gemini
04-28-2016, 09:35 PM
Found it at Barnes and Noble after checking several other stores closer to me.
Bought 2 copies. The guy at the check-out said they'd been going out the door 2 at a time all day.

I bought an extra, too, because it seemed like so many were thinking they wouldn't be able to find it. I'm happy to send it to someone who thinks they won't be able to get one. Just message me your address.

FWIW
04-28-2016, 09:47 PM
So disappointed! I stopped at B&N on my way home from work (last minute decision so I didn't call ahead) and they didn't have the Eagles special edition. :cry:

I'll try another B&N this weekend. Arg.

GlennLover
04-28-2016, 10:34 PM
I found a store that has the David Bowie special edition, but no sign of the Eagles yet. They also had what I think is the regular edition of the magazine (I didn't look that closely as it was at the top of the magazine display rack & I am vertically challenged), lol. As this is a drugstore & not a book store maybe the store only has so much space allotted to RS. Bowie edition says display until May 12. I don't know if the dates are the same in Canada as in the US.

Walmart didn't have RS at all.

shunlvswx
04-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Neither my local B&N and Books a Million has it yet. BAM said they will get an order in Sunday. So its probably going to be here on Sunday. I don't know about B&N. All I saw Bowie, Bowie, and more Bowie magazines. LOL I saw Glenn's Guitar Techniques magazine, but I wasn't going to pay 15.99. Does anybody know when that magazine is gone off the shelf. I might can hold on until my next payday to get it.

NightMistBlue
04-29-2016, 03:34 PM
For those of you who have the magazine: how's the Randy content (if there is any)?

I would cuss a blue streak if I paid $14-some and there was no Babyface :scowl:

buffyfan145
04-29-2016, 04:28 PM
NMB, I saw in some of the photos on FB included Randy and Bernie in a lot of the pictures. I think it also has some of the old interviews they gave to RS and Cameron in the 70s, and a commenter on FB said it does have a lot of all the guys and some of the pics were new to them. I don't have it yet so I'm just going by what I've read.

NightMistBlue
04-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Oh, wonderful. Thank you, Buffy!

LuvTim
04-29-2016, 05:06 PM
Don't worry, NMB, they've got Randy. The emphasis is definitely very heavily on Glenn and Don, as you might expect.

But, just so you know, a lot of this-I'd venture to say most of it-is excerpted or reprinted from past RS coverage of the band. I thought it was worth having, but you've probably seen most of it at some point in the past.

GlennLover
04-29-2016, 06:29 PM
I got it! I found it at my local grocery store chain. I knew the carried a lot of magazines but, I didn't expect to find it there.

I have only had time to skim through it. There are a lot of articles that I have read before. Don's current album by album comments look interesting. There are only a few pictures tha I haven't seen before.

I haven't seen The Guitar Tecniques with Glenn on the cover. I'm not too hopeful that I will. :depressed: :cry:

Freypower
04-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Isn't there a 40 Greatest Songs article? Isn't that new?

It's a shame they couldn't have tried to write something about Glenn's solo career, which is in desperate need of revisiting however briefly.

Love the signature GL.

LuvTim
04-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Isn't there a 40 Greatest Songs article? Isn't that new?

It's a shame they couldn't have tried to write something about Glenn's solo career, which is in desperate need of revisiting however briefly.

Love the signature GL.

Yes, FP, there is a 40 Greatest Songs article, and that one is new.

buffyfan145
04-29-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm starting to see the pics show up on Tumblr from it and I'm even more excited to get this. :D There are so many photos I haven't seen before, especially of Glenn. I got really emotional seeing a few of them. I know I haven't read most of the older articles in this, so I'm looking forward to it. Plus, there's just something different about having a physical copy of these articles and pictures, so hopefully I'll find it tomorrow.

shunlvswx
04-29-2016, 08:57 PM
I skimmed through the Guitar Techniques when I went looking for the magazine(BAM and B&N did have that magazine). It wasn't worth the 15.99. So I didn't buy it.

BAM said they won't get a new shipment until Sunday and B&N said Monday or Tuesday. So I will check back then. I guess I can wait another 2 to 3 days for the magazine.

FWIW
04-29-2016, 10:11 PM
My local B&N didn't have either the RS magazine or Guitar Techniques. The person I talked to didn't know when they would get it. So bummed.

Shun, you may have mentioned but I don't recall. Is Glenn on the cover of the GT magazine?

I hope I'll be able to find both magazines this weekend. My daughter is amused by my desperation.

shunlvswx
04-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Yes he's on there. Its a nice picture of him. It looks like a picture from the HOTE tour.

I was looking through my David Bowie RS special edition and they do have old articles from previous interviews, album guide, top best songs, and a little history of David in there. So that sounds about right with what's in the magazine.

WalshFan88
04-29-2016, 11:40 PM
I need to get to someplace and find this...

I'm NOT a Rolling Stone magazine/RNRHOF fan but I'll buy this because A - it's new and about the Eagles and B - they finally did a tribute cover.

The closest place I'll be is probably next week. I hope to find a store with a copy. If not, I'll peruse eBay for one.

My plan is to read it and then frame it for my guitar room (which already has an Eagles poster), in fact I might buy two copies.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-30-2016, 07:29 AM
My local B&N didn't have either the RS magazine or Guitar Techniques. The person I talked to didn't know when they would get it. So bummed.

Shun, you may have mentioned but I don't recall. Is Glenn on the cover of the GT magazine?

I hope I'll be able to find both magazines this weekend. My daughter is amused by my desperation.

I saw the gt mag w glenn on cover but did not purchase too much $$

OntheBorder74
04-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know if its available in the UK?

shunlvswx
04-30-2016, 03:41 PM
I just found out there's another Books A Million about an hour and a half away from me. I'm heading that way for a concert so I will check out their BAM and see if they have it.

shunlvswx
04-30-2016, 03:44 PM
I saw the gt mag w glenn on cover but did not purchase too much $$

I didn't buy it because of that. It was a full page of an article on Glenn and the rest of the pages were sheet music to a song. I don't remembered what song it is. I wasn't going to pay 16.00 dollars for one page article and a sheet music. I'm sorry. If it was a whole magazine dedicated to him, I would had bought it, but not a one page and five pages on a song.

buffyfan145
04-30-2016, 03:54 PM
I found it!!! :mrgreen: It was at my local Walmart and they had a ton. It was the first place I went to as well since I was getting my haircut and had to wait before they could actually do it. I was surprised to find it right off the bat but glad to see Walmart does indeed have it. I'm sure other stores in most towns will, as well as those like Target.

I've looked through it first at the photos and a lot I've seen on here (some my favorites of Glenn) but there were still some newer ones to me as well. :heart: I'm really excited to read Don's new feature on all the albums, and I've never read a lot of the older articles they put in here so I'm excited to finally do so. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to display it. I know my Dad & brother had magazine protectors before for the sports memorabilia they collect. I'm so glad I found this, and a different book I had been waiting on finally arrived today too, so it's been a great day so far. :D

ETA: I read Don's new interview and it's great. Very insightful on the albums and love how he talks about Glenn and the memories with him.

Shadowland07
04-30-2016, 08:45 PM
They got the date wrong of the picture next to the "Take It Easy" story in the 40 Greatest Songs section. I think the date should be 1974/75 but they have it as 72. A dead giveaway is the fact that Felder is in it.

zeldabjr
04-30-2016, 10:35 PM
I found the RS today at my grocery store!! :yay:

SilverAcidRayne
05-01-2016, 03:06 PM
I cannot find it. very upset right now....

shunlvswx
05-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Since BAM told me on Friday that their new shipment comes in on Sunday, I went to BAM after church and it was there. :yay: They had plenty of them.

UndertheWire
05-02-2016, 04:54 AM
Has anyone found a source in the UK? ebay.co.uk has a couple at nearly £30 each which are shipped from the US. However, there are copies of the David Bowie special for under £10, shipped from the UK, so hopefully it's just a matter of time. On one site that offers the regular Rolling Stone magazine, they note that they are two issues behind the US (ie 4 weeks).

AlreadyGone95
05-02-2016, 03:31 PM
I want to thank NOLA for sending me a free copy! I haven't had a chance to do more than just glancing at the photos yet. There are several that are new to me.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
05-02-2016, 06:17 PM
I got it yesterday and I haven't been able to put it down. I even brought it to school so I could read it in study hall. I got a lot of weird looks and snide comments but I didn't really care because I was happy to read the awesome interviews and look at pictures of the guys.

cheryl
05-03-2016, 01:50 AM
I HAVE MY COPY! Barnes and Noble had several on the newsstand. I had to drive 40 miles to Noblesville, Indiana since that was the only B n N near me.

NOLA
05-03-2016, 09:11 AM
I want to thank NOLA for sending me a free copy! I haven't had a chance to do more than just glancing at the photos yet. There are several that are new to me.

You're very welcome! Glad you received it in a timely manner, and I hope you enjoy all the articles and new photos! :)

FWIW
05-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Has anyone on the West Coast been able to locate a copy of the RS Eagles special edition? I've checked multiple B&Ns, 2 independent book stores, as well as various drug and grocery stores with no success. I am beginning to think RS is shipping the magazine from their New York office via the Pony Express. :mad:

My daughter told me (multiple times) that she doesn't think it's out yet. And I keep telling her that I know people have already purchased it!

shunlvswx
05-03-2016, 04:56 PM
The first place that was said to have the magazine was a newsstand in Brentwood. I don't know how far you are from Brentwood, but that was the first place that someone found it. It took a couple more days before people started to find it.

It finally made it to Mississippi a week and a half later.

FWIW
05-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Shun. Brentwood is a bit of a haul for me (probably a good 2-2.5 hours away) so it's unlikely that I can make it out there soon.

But some reasonably good news. My daughter was at another independent bookstore today and they told her they would have the magazine sometime between May 5-10. The countdown starts now...

05-03-2016, 10:20 PM
GA was very sweet and picked me up a copy in the airport over the weekend. I probably won't get a chance to read it until this coming weekend though. I'll have to withhold judgment until then about whether or not I think this makes up for them not giving Glenn a cover story in January.

EagleLady
05-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Looked at the Walmart that my brother works at for it today but didn't have it. So I will try again Friday at the other WalMart.

Brooke
05-04-2016, 01:19 PM
I haven't found it yet either, but will keep looking!

sad-cafe
05-04-2016, 06:15 PM
i haven't found one either

buffyfan145
05-04-2016, 09:19 PM
For anyone that's having a hard time finding it, it's officially on Barnes & Nobel's web site now!!! :D Had a feeling they would have it available online. Might be US only though.

I'm also loving reading the old articles. :D Taking my time with it too but it's great.

FWIW
05-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up Buffy! I just tried to place an order and unfortunately the website says it is temporarily out of stock online. :( I wonder how many copies they sold.

Hopefully the local bookstore (the one that said they'd get it between May 5-10) has it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

WS82Classics
05-05-2016, 09:57 PM
There's an Amazon page with a couple of listings for the Eagles RS Special Edition, but the two listed(both in brand new condition) are *quite* expensive. Still, I suppose if one wants one badly enough...

http://www.amazon.com/ROLLING-STONE-2016-SPECIAL-ULTIMATE/dp/B01F69XYC0/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462499341&sr=1-12&keywords=eagles+rolling+stone+magazine

FWIW
05-06-2016, 05:24 PM
My daughter just found it! I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Thanks for putting up with me whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit the past few weeks. :)

Glennhoney
05-06-2016, 08:53 PM
There's an Amazon page with a couple of listings for the Eagles RS Special Edition, but the two listed(both in brand new condition) are *quite* expensive. Still, I suppose if one wants one badly enough...

http://www.amazon.com/ROLLING-STONE-2016-SPECIAL-ULTIMATE/dp/B01F69XYC0/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462499341&sr=1-12&keywords=eagles+rolling+stone+magazine
..tried to buy..but they're not shipping to Canada....sigh..

RudieCantFail
05-06-2016, 10:20 PM
My mom bought it this morning at Barnes & Noble. I skimmed it and I was a little disappointed that "King of Hollywood" wasn't part of their 40 Greatest Songs. I didn't think "Disco Strangler" really deserved it, and I would have swapped "King of Hollywood" in there. Maybe not at no. 28, since I haven't really thought of a 40 song ranked list. But hey, it's just personal preference, no big deal really. I just really like "King of Hollywood."

UndertheWire
05-07-2016, 10:31 AM
As you like "King of Hollywood" you may like this thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2455).

I'm trying to be patient and allow a month for the magazine to be available in the UK. The biggest newsagent in town has the regular RS magazine but is three issues behind the US. I'm not prepared to pay the prices currently offered on eBay (around £40 including P&P). I've signed up for notification by newsstand.co.uk when the issue becomes available. Their charge is around £9 inc P&P.

05-07-2016, 12:30 PM
I got my fingers crossed that everyone will be able to get a copy before too long. I haven't had a chance to read mine yet. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

EagleLady
05-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Found it and got it yesterday! Has lots of nice pictures.

Brooke
05-09-2016, 03:04 PM
I found mine at Walmart Saturday! :yay:

Brooke
05-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Been reading mine. I read the Brad Paisley tribute and Don's interview about all the albums first; loved them!

Looking forward to reading the rest!

UndertheWire
05-15-2016, 06:13 AM
It feels like it's getting closer (to the UK). I've been tracking it on a website (http://www.newsstand.co.uk/195-Rock-Music-Magazines/4441-Subscribe-to-ROLLING-STONE-PRESENTS-Magazine-Subscription.aspx), and they have updated to show this as the current issue (but still the Bowie cover image). However, when I tried to order, I was told they were out of stock. So not quite there but maybe soon.
Ebay still only shows copies shipping from the US with appropriate postage.

If anyone sees a copy in the UK, please say, then I'll know to look harder.

WS82Classics
05-15-2016, 12:38 PM
I saw Eagles Special Editions being sold at the checkout lanes at the Piggly Wiggly up in Dillard, GA, yesterday afternoon.

I've still not seen hide or hair of that magazine at any of the bigger chains(Wal Mart, Kroger, Publix, Ingles, Food Lion, etc.).

chaim
05-16-2016, 03:20 AM
Did Don reveal something about the albums we didn't know before? I would buy it, but I'm NEVER going to find the magazine in Finland.

buffyfan145
05-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Don does go more in-depth about how they made each album and tells some stories I hadn't heard before. But most of the magazine is new to me since a lot of the articles were published before I was born or I was really young, so I've been enjoying reading those too.

shunlvswx
05-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Majority of the articles in the magazines I've never read. So they are new to me. Don's indepth part on the magazine is mostly a Q&A, but some of the answers he gives I've never heard of. I love hearing stories about each album.

jane02
05-18-2016, 03:23 AM
If anyone in Australia knows how to get their hands on a copy - please let me know.

Brooke
05-18-2016, 09:29 AM
I've read everything and really enjoyed it even though I had read most of the articles before.

UndertheWire
05-18-2016, 09:57 AM
If anyone in Australia knows how to get their hands on a copy - please let me know.
You can get a copy through eBay but as they are shipped from the US, the postage is as much as the magazine.
If newstand.co.uk gets any in, they will send to Australia for £12.00 incl P&P.

DJ
05-18-2016, 12:47 PM
I am glad they did a special edition for the guys. However, I would have liked to have seen a dual cover showing all the members past and present. I read some of it in the store, but didn't purchase because of the price. I want to find the back additions of the RS where the Eagles were featured, any ideas on how to go about that? I subscribed when I was younger, should have had the mindset to keep them all. Darn.....Back when it truly was a Music Magazine....

Brooke
05-18-2016, 02:41 PM
DJ, you can sometimes find them on ebay. I bought one of them there a few years ago.

UndertheWire
05-21-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm getting frustrated with this. I have been unable to find a copy in the only big newsagent in town and the only mail order site I've found says it's out of stock. I even found it in a list of titles for early recall - supposedly it went on sale on May 12th and will be taken off sale on 25th May. Meanwhile, the next issue - Prince - is scheduled to go on sale on June 6th. eBay beckons.

AlreadyGone95
05-21-2016, 01:56 PM
I'm getting frustrated with this. I have been unable to find a copy in the only big newsagent in town and the only mail order site I've found says it's out of stock. I even found it in a list of titles for early recall - supposedly it went on sale on May 12th and will be taken off sale on 25th May. Meanwhile, the next issue - Prince - is scheduled to go on sale on June 6th. eBay beckons.

In the states, it won't be taken off the stands for a few months because it's a special issue and not a regular 2 week issue. That's what I was told by a Books-A-Million employee. My copy says to display it until August 4th. Surely, it wouldn't be available in the UK for less than 2 weeks?

jane02
05-22-2016, 10:37 PM
You can get a copy through eBay but as they are shipped from the US, the postage is as much as the magazine.
If newstand.co.uk gets any in, they will send to Australia for £12.00 incl P&P.
Thanks so much for that information.:grin:

Glennsallnighter
05-23-2016, 06:46 AM
It hasn't appeared in Ireland at all eithr. We usually get these items the same time as the UK. I'm so glad I picked up a copy in Chicago en route to Detroit last month. Only sorry I didn't bring home a few copies to send to people who couldn't get them.

UndertheWire
06-06-2016, 11:20 AM
A member of this board kindly sent me a copy, and I'm very grateful for that.

However, I have just been notified that 30 copies are now in stock through:

http://www.newsstand.co.uk/195-Rock-Music-Magazines/4441-Subscribe-to-ROLLING-STONE-PRESENTS-Magazine-Subscription.aspx

They deliver worldwide, not just the UK and prices seems reasonable.

jane02
06-06-2016, 08:47 PM
A member of this board kindly sent me a copy, and I'm very grateful for that.

However, I have just been notified that 30 copies are now in stock through:

They deliver worldwide, not just the UK and prices seems reasonable.

Thank you so much for that information. I have just placed my order now and cannot wait to receive my copy.:cheers:

jane02
06-24-2016, 06:45 AM
So happy - I finally received my Rolling Stones magazine today. It is going to be a cold, wet weekend here in Melbourne so I know what I will be doing tomorrow.
Thanks so much everyone for helping me track this down.:cheers:

rockymountaingal
06-26-2016, 01:00 PM
It's still on display in our local grocery store chain in Colorado - cover says display until Aug 4, 2016 so may still be some lingering out there.

The Cameron Crowe article was especially enlightening to me. Gives a nice recount of his and Glenn's friendship, and if I may say sheds some light on what Don F was complaining about in his book re nicknames etc from a different point of view, won't go into that here.

Don's Q&A via each album was worth reading too, some new things in there and always fun to hear his answers.

shunlvswx
06-26-2016, 03:00 PM
I saw the cover at one of my local Kroger store. I was coming in, went to the book and magazine section and it was staring right at me.

06-26-2016, 03:42 PM
I been so busy lately, I still haven't gotten around to reading the RS tribute issue. It seems like every time I attempt to read it, I get distracted by other 'stuff'. Hopefully, I can get through it before too very long.

OutlawManNJ
06-28-2016, 07:44 PM
Dont know if this has been mentioned but on page 86 there is a photo dated 1972 but Felder is in it. That has to be a mistake right? Felder didnt play with the Eagles till at least 73/74 correct?

Eagles7
06-28-2016, 07:47 PM
Was it backstage? He hung out with them some in Bostom when they were playing there.

OutlawManNJ
06-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Was it backstage? He hung out with them some in Bostom when they were playing there.

No its outside in a parking lot or something. Henley looks 1972-ish...
But im still not sure why felder would be there

UndertheWire
06-29-2016, 05:17 AM
It looks like a promo shot so I'm inclined to think it's from around 1974, not 1972.

There's a picture on p72 that's labelled as 1975 but Glenn is wearing the shirt that he wore for the Joshua Tree photo shoot and the hair looks consistent with 1972. Of course, he could just be wearing an old shirt.

shunlvswx
08-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Today's the last day of this special edition on the stand. I'm glad RS did finally publish this magazine. I will always cherish this magazine.

Freypower
08-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I received my copy of this yesterday & I am very happy with it, except that I know the 2008 cover story has been edited, and I'm not sure why the Walsh story was included. I took issue with some of their 40 Greatest Songs rankings (only How Long from LROOE.... seriously. One day this album will be reassessed).

They could have done more with the nods to the solo careers. There was more to Glenn's career than You Belong To The City (and he wore a white suit in the Heat Is On video, not YBTTC).

But they repeated Glenn's cause of death several times & it jarred with me. All these photos & quotations of this wonderful man who was so full of life & creativity juxtaposed with that. There was one photo of him where he was surrounded by women who were just staring at him. He had that his whole life, happily married though he was. For people like me - you couldn't take your eyes off him.

08-07-2016, 12:19 PM
I hate to admit it, but I still have not gotten around to reading the complete Rolling Stone tribute. Thanks to some very special Border friends, I have all the other magazines that published tributes to Glenn and I have read all of them. But, I have still haven't been able to read the Rolling Stone magazine cover to cover yet. One of these days, probably when we have a rainy or snowy weekend, I'll be able to get through it.

Delilah
09-03-2016, 10:53 PM
The following is a short commentary about the Special Edition that I don't believe has been posted here. I agree with the writer about the Top 40 list re: hits and misses.

http://www.talbotdavis.com/2016/05/top-five-tuesday-top-five-observations-rolling-stones-ultimate-eagles-guide-special-edition/

Freypower
09-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Heartache Tonight is not 'godawful'. Interesting that of his top 5 Eagles songs, none are sung by Frey. I had expected him to comment on the peculiar inclusion of Greeks & Disco Strangler.

As for 'firstest, favouritest band'.... please. At least try to write in English.

thelastresort
09-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know if their top 40 songs was published online? The most I've seen of them is the odd amendment in Wikipedia articles and the inferences in the article above. Never seen a copy of Rolling Stone on sale in the UK so I did have a quick gander at the best stockists over here but to no avail.

And On the Border as the fourth best Eagles song? :rofl:

Freypower
09-04-2016, 06:42 PM
I don't think they put it online so here is their ranking:

1. Hotel California
2. Take It Easy
3. Desperado
4. Peaceful Easy Feeling
5. New Kid In Town
6. Already Gone
7. Lyin' Eyes
8. Life In The Fast Lane
9. One Of These Nights
10. Heartache Tonight
11. I Can't Tell You Why
12. The Long Run
13. Tequila Sunrise
15. Best Of My Love
15. Take It To The Lmit
16. In The City
17. Witchy Woman
18. James Dean
19. On The Border
20. The Sad Cafι
21. After The Thrill Is Gone
22. Hollywood Waltz
23. Try & Love Again
24. Doolin-Dalton
25. Wasted Time
26. Those Shoes
27. The Last Resort
28. The Disco Strangler
29. Ol '55
30. Victim Of Love
31. Bitter Creek
32. My Man
33. Most Of Us Are Sad
34. Love Will Keep Us Alive
35. How Long
36. Outlaw Man
37. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
38. Pretty Maids All In A Row
39. Please Come Home For Christmas
40. Saturday Night

As I said above, the almost total exclusion of the LROOE album borders on criminal & there are some inclusions & rankings which for me are extremely dubious.

thelastresort
09-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks FP, didn't expect anyone to type it up so it is appreciated!

Got as far as fourth before raising an eyebrow, I do like PEF but it doesn't hold a candle to some of their stronger material, like the song immediately following it, though it is nice to see NKIT get some form of recognition at all: in my opinion Glenn's finest hour with the band. And yes, the absence particularly of the title track from LROOE is incredible: how on earth do you include The Disco Strangler and not that? Absolutely baffling, it's like they just pulled position numbers out of one hat then song names out of another. And The Disco Strangler, the song that epitomised just how tired, low on ideas and utterly resentful the band were making The Long Run album, which has absolutely no melody or indeed purpose, and is bereft of any talent is just one position behind the finest lyrical output of the band's main songwriter, and closed what is widely held as one of the greatest albums of all time? Shambolic.

Delilah
09-04-2016, 08:16 PM
IMO, The Long Run album was over-represented. "Waiting in the Weeds" should be on the list as well as "Midnight Flyer"; surely those two songs are better than "Disco Strangler" and "Greeks". I think "Love Will Keep Us Alive" was there just to have something from the Hell Freezes Over album.

Freypower
09-04-2016, 09:10 PM
IMO, The Long Run album was over-represented. "Waiting in the Weeds" should be on the list as well as "Midnight Flyer"; surely those two songs are better than "Disco Strangler" and "Greeks". I think "Love Will Keep Us Alive" was there just to have something from the Hell Freezes Over album.

HFO should have been represented by Get Over It.

As for PCHFC.... I know many people here like it, but I'm not one of them. Claiming it's one of the band's 40 best songs beggars belief.

chaim
09-04-2016, 10:10 PM
It's very simple. There are no songs from LROOE on the list, because Rolling Stone fell for the old "all the great songs by any artist were written back in the old days (except when told otherwise by a good authority)" clichι. So naturally even a lousy old song (Disco Strangler) is better than a great new one (LROOE, WITW....). It was safe to put How Long on the list, because it was an old song, already performed by the original band in the old days. As for "good authorities", they probably just forgot the Grammy for IDTWNW.

UndertheWire
09-05-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm impressed that they came up with a list as long as 40 - that's nearly half the entire Eagles catalogue. However, including "The Disco Strangler" baffles me.

buffyfan145
09-05-2016, 09:39 AM
I really don't like when any magazine does these lists (including for TV shows, movies, and books) because it makes me wonder how they came up with it if they don't explain it. Was it just one writer's list or was it voted on by multiple writers/critics for the magazine? Every Eagles fan's list is going to be different so how can anyone make up a list. LOL But I agree some songs I wouldn't have on the list and it's missing ones I really liked from LROOE and my order would be different too.

09-05-2016, 01:32 PM
I don't think they put it online so here is their ranking:

1. Hotel California
2. Take It Easy
3. Desperado
4. Peaceful Easy Feeling
5. New Kid In Town
6. Already Gone
7. Lyin' Eyes
8. Life In The Fast Lane
9. One Of These Nights
10. Heartache Tonight
11. I Can't Tell You Why
12. The Long Run
13. Tequila Sunrise
15. Best Of My Love
15. Take It To The Limit
16. In The City
17. Witchy Woman
18. James Dean
19. On The Border
20. The Sad Cafι
21. After The Thrill Is Gone
22. Hollywood Waltz
23. Try & Love Again
24. Doolin-Dalton
25. Wasted Time
26. Those Shoes
27. The Last Resort
28. The Disco Strangler
29. Ol '55
30. Victim Of Love
31. Bitter Creek
32. My Man
33. Most Of Us Are Sad
34. Love Will Keep Us Alive
35. How Long
36. Outlaw Man
37. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
38. Pretty Maids All In A Row
39. Please Come Home For Christmas
40. Saturday Night

As I said above, the almost total exclusion of the LROOE album borders on criminal & there are some inclusions & rankings which for me are extremely dubious.

I looked at this list and the comments that have been made and I was reminded of the Border Poll we conducted in 2012 to celebrate the band's 40th Anniversary. It's pretty amazing but the Top 40 list that we Borderer's came up with was not that different. There were 15 songs (3/4's) that made the Top 20 in each list - these are highlighted in dark red below. Also, 28 songs (about 2/3's) made both list - I highlighted them in blue below. That means there were only 12 songs on each that didn't make both lists. Long Road Out of Eden was much better represented on The Border list. The numbers in parenthesis represented where the song finished in the Rolling Stone list ...

1. Take It Easy - (2)
2. Hotel California – (1)
3. Already Gone – (6)
4. Take It To the Limit – (15)
5. One of These Nights – (9)
6. Heartache Tonight – (10)
7. Peaceful Easy Feeling - (4)
8. New Kid In Town – (5)
9. Life In the Fast Lane – ( 8 )
10. I Can't Tell You Why – (11)

11. Lyin' Eyes – (7)
12. Waiting In the Weeds
13. The Best of My Love – (14)
14. Seven Bridges Road
15. Tequila Sunrise – (13)
16. Desperado – (3)
17. Witchy Woman – (17)
18. Love Will Keep Us Alive – (34)
19. Wasted Time – (25)
20. Get Over It

21. Long Road Out of Eden
22. The Long Run – (12)
23. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
24. Victim of Love – (30)
25. How Long – (35)
26. Ol' 55 – (29)
27. In the City – (16)
28. The Last Resort – (27)
29. Somebody
30. James Dean – ( 18 )

31. Doolin-Dalton – (24)
32. Pretty Maids All In a Row – ( 38 )
33. Bitter Creek – (31)
34. After the Thrill Is Gone – (21)
35. What Do I Do With My Heart
36. No More Cloudy Days
37. King of Hollywood
38. No More Walks in the Wood
39. Good Day In Hell
40. Learn To Be Still

Here is a link to the thread if you are interested in how we arrived at our final list ...
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3769

Jonny Come Lately
09-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Thanks for posting the rankings FP! I haven't got a copy of this either - the timing of its release was especially unfortunate as I had a big load of exams around May so I wasn't able to look into it then, and it wasn't in the student union shop on my university campus which sells music magazines.

With regards to the list itself, I love looking over things like this and there is so much that I can say! I'll start by saying that I pretty much agree with the comments so far. The majority of the top 20 is quite predictable in terms of the songs that feature if not in the actual order - I did notice that the 10 tracks from GH Vol 1 and the six singles from the Hotel California and Long Run albums took up 16 of the top 17 places, a sequence broken only by In The City, which came 16th ahead of Witchy Woman. These are great songs, but I personally don't think the hit songs tower above the rest of their music in the way this might suggest. The top three are obvious, but I can't really disagree with them. I concur with tlr in thinking that PEF is perhaps slightly too high (still a great song though) and being pleased that the seminal NKIT is in the top five.

From Long Road Out Of Eden I would say that How Long (which fully deserves its spot) should be joined in the top 40 at the very least by WITW and the title track, which are undisputed Eagles classics in my book. Toni is absolutely spot on here! I'd also like to find room for Somebody and Do Something (I much prefer this to LWKUA) and maybe also songs such as Last Good Time In Town and Business As Usual. If I was to be extremely generous, I would say that they were probably correct not to include Busy Being Fabulous, which would have been an 'easy' choice as it was a single with a video. I fully agree that The Disco Strangler shouldn't be anywhere near The Last Resort (which would be in my overall top ten at the very least, probably top five). Even worse though was putting Greeks above PMAIAR. That is the single worst decision on the list and a crying shame in my view.

The biggest absentee for me personally is the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise), which like The Last Resort is another of my absolute favourites. It always gets ignored, but it is a crucial part of the album and combines two already great songs in even more stunning fashion. One song that I was surprised didn't make it was Train Leaves Here This Morning - given that it was on the HOTE setlist and often seems to be considered Bernie's signature song. One thing I do like about the list, and which does compensate for the absence of Train, is that Bitter Creek and My Man both made it (they are my two favourite Bernie songs), although I'd have swapped the order. My Man would be a serious top 20 contender for me personally, it's in my top three from OTB for sure.

I think the unluckiest non-LROOE song to miss out was King Of Hollywood, it was one of only two Long Run tracks to not make it (the other being the unloved Teenage Jail). To me it's miles better than Disco Strangler and Greeks. I also think Certain Kind Of Fool and Good Day In Hell should have been up there too, and now I think about it I'm a bit shocked they didn't include Seven Bridges Road.

Thanks also Dreamer for posting the results from the Border top 40! I like the Borderers list more overall, unsurprisingly, although there's a couple of songs on the RS list that I would want to include on my own personal list that aren't on there - My Man, TALA and Those Shoes are the main ones. Having said that though there's more songs that I love that are exclusive to the Border Top 40 (helped by the fact that Borderers acknowledge the existence of Long Road Out Of Eden! :lol:). I would really love to do an exercise like that in future if the opportunity arises.

Freypower
09-05-2016, 06:46 PM
I really don't like when any magazine does these lists (including for TV shows, movies, and books) because it makes me wonder how they came up with it if they don't explain it. Was it just one writer's list or was it voted on by multiple writers/critics for the magazine? Every Eagles fan's list is going to be different so how can anyone make up a list. LOL But I agree some songs I wouldn't have on the list and it's missing ones I really liked from LROOE and my order would be different too.

There were four writers who contributed, one of whom is David Browne, who has written quite a lot about the band for RS. They did do a 'review' of each song. I'm afraid I'm not going to attempt to copy all that here. If anyone is interested in knowing what was said about a particular song, I will post that.

I think they remembered that they did a glowing review of The Long Run & therefore had to include the majority of the songs from that album. Give me Out Of Control or the apparently almost forgotten Good Day In Hell rather than most of that album, except for the also ignored King Of Hollywood.

WS82Classics
09-05-2016, 07:07 PM
'Disco Strangler' & 'Greeks' are personal favourites of mine, but, if I were a rock critic, I would not include them in a top 40 list.

'Long Road' needs its own separate appraisal--Probably too soon to rank any as 'all-timers.' In order of release and album appearance, I would include these songs(I don't have time or patience to rate them properly from #1 to #40):

1. "Take it Easy"
2. "Witchy Woman"
3. "Train Leaves Here this Morning"
4. "Peaceful, Easy Feeling"
5. "Doolin-Dalton"
6. "Out of Control"
7. "Tequila Sunrise"
8. "Desperado"
9. "Outlaw Man"
10. "Bitter Creek"
11. "Already Gone"
12. "You Never Cry Like a Lover"
13. "Midnight Flyer"
14. "My Man"
15. "On the Border"
16. "Ol' 55"
17. "Best of My Love"
18. "One of These Nights"
19. "Too Many Hands"
20. "Hollywood Waltz"
21. "Journey of the Sorcerer"
22. "Lyin' Eyes"
23. "Take it to the Limit"
24. "After the Thrill is Gone"
25. "I Wish You Peace"
26. "Hotel California"
27. "New Kid in Town"
28. "Life in the Fast Lane"
29. "Wasted Time"
30. "Victim of Love"
31. "Try and Love Again"
32. "The Last Resort"
33. "Please Come Home for Christmas"
34. "The Long Run"
35. "I Can't Tell You Why"
36. "In the City"
37. "King of Hollywood"
38. "Heartache Tonight"
39. "Those Shoes"
40. "The Sad Cafe"

buffyfan145
09-05-2016, 08:54 PM
I too agree more with the Border list. :D

Thanks FP for letting me know. I have the mag so I've seen what they've said for each song. I just tend not to like these lists as it just seems to be made to cause division.

Annever
09-22-2016, 09:00 AM
can anyone tell me that where can i find this?

UndertheWire
09-22-2016, 09:09 AM
can anyone tell me that where can i find this?
Try amazon or eBay. It's no longer in the shops.