PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Awards Travelers

LuvTim
04-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Everyone traveling to Detroit for tonight's awards ceremony-- have a terrific trip!

Can't wait to hear all about the tribute to Glenn and all the fun you will have while together for this event! :rockguitar:

Dawn
04-29-2016, 01:28 PM
http://media.mlive.com/detroit/photo/2015/07/24/-c785fdd68635d9c9.JPG

Glenn Frey and Don Henley took the stage first at the "History of the Eagles" tour at Joe Louis Arena on July 24, 2015 (photo: Tanya Moutzalias | MLive Detroit)

July 2015 - nearly a year ago no one could have imagined Glenn had just 6 short months left.

Can't wait to hear about the Tribute it's going to be super special I'm sure.

AlreadyGone95
04-29-2016, 01:45 PM
I know that tonight has to be bittersweet. I hope that everyone has a safe and enjoyable trip.

Brooke
04-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Have fun everyone! Can't wait to hear all about it!

buffyfan145
04-29-2016, 04:25 PM
I hope everyone that's going has a great time too and I can't wait to hear about it as well!!! :D

GlennLover
04-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Enjoy everyone. I know it's going to be a bittersweet experience.

zeldabjr
04-29-2016, 07:28 PM
I hope everyone has a wonderful evening remembering the music of this very special guy!! looking forward to hearing all about it!!

sodascouts
04-30-2016, 12:12 AM
The awards themselves were a bore, but they did right by him. They had artists perform not one but two songs in honor of him - TIE and Already Gone - and it got a huge response from the crowd. While the artists performed, they played videos clips spanning Glenn's career on the backscreen. There were both Eagles and solo clips.

Glenn got the respect he deserved, and I'm happy with it.

AlreadyGone95
04-30-2016, 01:26 AM
I'm glad to hear that the tribute was done right. I have to ask, will or have ya'll visited Glenn Frey Drive?

buffyfan145
04-30-2016, 10:15 AM
That's great they did that and that they used video clips while they performed.

sodascouts
04-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Yes, we went to Glenn Frey Drive - it's so wonderful that they did that for him.

MortSahlFan
04-30-2016, 12:33 PM
I was at the July 24 show.. Day before my birthday. Even more reason I'm most shocked by his passing, as I am a Bowie fan too.

Dawn
04-30-2016, 01:48 PM
I was at the July 24 show.. Day before my birthday. Even more reason I'm most shocked by his passing, as I am a Bowie fan too.

So awesome you could go to the Eagles concert in Detroit 2015 it sounds like it was very good!

Review of July 24, 215 Eagles Concert at Joe Louis Stadium

The Eagles take Glenn Frey's hometown Detroit fans through their history

Glenn Frey introduced the band, and then gave a shout-out to his hometown. Frey, who was born in Detroit and grew up in Royal Oak, said before he left the area to move to California, he learned his hard world ethic and thanked Detroit for teaching him that.

Source http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2015/07/the_eagles_take_glenn_freys_ho.html

sodascouts
04-30-2016, 11:24 PM
We went to the hall of fame museum in Cleveland and saw the plaque they have for him. That was nice, as well as the Eagles music on their digital jukebox. Sadly, there was very little Eagles memorabilia there and no Glenn solo memorabilia.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Hi all - Soda and I are both back home from Detroit and GA is in flight back to Ireland. Thanks everyone for their interest about our trip. After traveling all day, I am too tired to post much right now, but I promise to write more details about our weekend later.

GlennLover
05-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Looking forward to reading about it Dreamer, but have a good rest first!

Brooke
05-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Glad you ladies had a good time and that Glenn's tribute was a good one!

Hopefully you can tell us more!

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Well I will do my best now to do Glenn :heart: justice in my review. Certainly different to other reviews I have given, and one I never thought I'd be writing. I suppose in reality it was OUR commemoration of Glenn :heart: and we were determined to do him proud.

I arrived in Detroit only minutes before Soda and we headed out to our hotel. We decided to stay in Royal Oak rather than central Detroit and there was something very bittersweet about being in the same area where Glenn :heart: spent his youth. On Freyday morning we took a walk into the central district ans were rewarded by being able to buy clothing with Royal Oak (T-shirts and jackets) on them. Dreamer arrived shortly afterwards and we headed out for the first important part of our tribute - Glenn Frey Drive. We found it easily right beside Royal Oak Middle School and spent some time reminiscing and taking some photos. I'll put mine on but want to check with the others which ones if any they want to post.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Detroit/112c4ef2-40a9-4bde-9b44-b945a6e2c888.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Detroit/112c4ef2-40a9-4bde-9b44-b945a6e2c888.jpg.html)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Detroit/IMG_5784.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Detroit/IMG_5784.jpg.html)

Royal Oak Middle School
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Detroit/IMG_5801.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Detroit/IMG_5801.jpg.html)

We then checked out some of the addresses that we had heard he had lived in during his youth and finished up at the brewery which had provided the 'Lyin Eyes' beer. Unfortunately they had just finished up its supply last week, but we still had a very pleasant lunch there.

After that it was time to get ready for the Detroit Music Awards. We left early for them and found pleasantly that we did not have to line up outside and stand for several hours, so we went away and had some light snacks and just took in the atmosphere. I would not consider Detroit a 'Tourist Destination' but I definitely liked it and the people there were lovely. When we did get to the awards we were in the GA balcony - we had excellent 2nd row seats on the balcony with a great view (could have sat in the front row if we had wanted). As Soda said the awards dragged a bit and there were several tributes during it but they certainly saved the best tribute to the last.The two songs were well presented and received by the audience and they really did make me feel I was CELEBRATING Glenn :heart:'s life rather than mourning his death. I HAVE recorded it and will try to post it at some later stage. We left after the tribute and judging from the crowd it seems a lot of other people did the same. But I was delighted to have chosen this as the tribute that I would attend. It was well worth it. They did their son proud. We heard the full word 5 times during the show (instead of only half of it)

Saturday we started early and drove up to the R&RHOF. It was lovely to go with and be with Soda and Dreamer - we were able to play our Glenn :heart: and Eagles music all the way there and back, and chat and reminisce. We had some lunch in the hard Rock there and saw one of Joes guitars on display.

But I think we were all disappointed at what poor representation there was of the actual Eagles or of Glenn :heart:. Yes there was his tribute picture in the Memorial section and a few pieces of Eagles memorabilia but overall we all felt there could have been a lot more.
We saw Hotel Keys of Timothys, a guitar of Felders, LBG Lyrics written by Joe
and a set list from one of their shows

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Detroit/IMG_5848.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Detroit/IMG_5848.jpg.html)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Detroit/IMG_5842.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Detroit/IMG_5842.jpg.html)

However in saying that I was delighted (if that be the word) to have had the chance to visit the HOF and pay my own respects to Glenn :heart:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Detroit/IMG_5851.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Detroit/IMG_5851.jpg.html)

We also had a bit of fun getting our pics taken with guitars and singing TIE in a booth.
Dreamer was fantastic taking the 3hr drive back to Detroit in awful rain in her stride. We then had our dinner in the Hard Rock Cafe in Detroit. But again while there was a HC album signed by Don Henley and Glenn :heart: as well as one of Felders

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Detroit/IMG_1131.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Detroit/IMG_1131.jpg.html)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Detroit/IMG_1134.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Detroit/IMG_1134.jpg.html).

Sunday was travel day!! We were up early - Soda and I for our flights and Dreamer for her long drive home. I made it back as expected the following morning. I'm glad to read that the others made it home ok.

I hope I have done some justice to Glenn :heart: and to Soda and to Dreamer. It was definitely great to meet up with them - very healing and definitely cathartic. Its been harder to write this review rather than the ones I have written of his shows and the Eagles shows. I know I felt a lot more emotional than I may be portraying in this review. At the end of the day RIP Glenn :heart:. Thank you for the music - Glenn :heart: Frey :iloveyou:

MortSahlFan
05-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Maybe a meet-up every November 6th in Royal Oak?

LuvTim
05-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Thank you for the lovely review and photos, GA. You look so beautiful standing there on Glenn Frey Drive. It's so good that you all enjoyed the trip together. :-)

Dawn
05-03-2016, 10:59 PM
GA, Love the photos and interesting recap of your visit to Royal Oak and Glenn Frey Drive! I share your disappointment in the RRHOF collection of Eagle memorabilia - it seems odd there isn't more but still - very exciting to see up close. Thank you for sharing!!!

Houston Baby
05-03-2016, 11:41 PM
It sounds like a lovely & hopefully healing trip GA. I bet Glenn was smiling down on 3 of his biggest fans and appreciating the love from y'all. And the photos are great especially the one of you. You look beautiful!

05-04-2016, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the lovely review, GA. I don't have a lot to add to what GA and Soda have written about our pilgrimage to Detroit and Royal Oak, but I will make a few comments. First of all, it was great seeing Soda and GA again. I know I can always count on a good time with these two. :hug: :hug:

I agree that Glenn's tribute at the Detroit Music Awards was well done and was, of course, the highlight of the evening. Despite a long and boring show (there were a few good performances), I'm glad that I was there.

Now, as far as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I have to say that I was extremely disappointed in the Eagles exhibit. I had visited there before several years ago and thought their exhibit was great. I was disappointed that no pictures were allowed at that time, so I was really excited when they told us pictures were permitted now and very happy that we would be able to get a picture of the Eagles exhibit to post here. I never dreamed that they would cut the exhibit more than in half. I had figured, if anything, it would have grown, not shrunk. They have plenty of unused space there, so I have no idea why they don't have a lot of the memorabilia displayed.

I also think this trip was cathartic. However, driving home I began feeling very sad and emotional thinking about Glenn's life being cut short when he had so many unrealized dreams. I just have to keep remembering that he had a wonderful life in the time he was here on this earth and lived his life to the fullest. We are so lucky that he left us with his music.

FWIW
05-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Thanks so much GA, Soda and Dreamer for sharing details and photos of your trip with us. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time.

buffyfan145
05-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks GA, Soda, and Dreamer for sharing this with us!!! :D Love the pictures and that you all had a great time.

Brooke
05-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Ga, Soda, and Dreamer, thanks so much for sharing this experience with us. And for the pictures, Ga. You look beautiful and it's so wonderful that you were able to travel so far to do this! Soda and Dreamer traveled far too, but not quite so far! You guys are the best! I wish I could have gone and this makes it all so final that he really is gone. But I'm so thankful for the wonderful life that he had. Surely, most of his dreams were realized and at least we have his music.

AlreadyGone95
05-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks for sharing your reviews, Soda, Dreamer, and GA. It's great that ya'll were able to do this. Sounds like you had a blast. GA_ you look great in your photo and thanks for sharing them. I'm shocked that the hall of same exhibit of America's best selling band is so small. At least Glenn left us with some of the best music ever made.

TequilaSunrise82
05-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Thank you for your review and I am so happy for you all that you were able to make that trip. I am very emotional just reading about it so I can't imagine what it felt like to actually be there. ...and here come the tears again:weep:

sodascouts
05-04-2016, 09:48 PM
As I said before, I'm glad I did it. It felt right. I'm not going to put up photos because I look bad in them, but I'm glad GA's turned out so well!

UndertheWire
05-05-2016, 04:18 AM
Good to hear the trip went well. I hope it has helped you all and that you're beginning to be able to listen to the music. I know you still post occasionally, but you are missed.

L101
05-05-2016, 06:15 AM
Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences GA, Soda and Dreamer.
It sounds like you had a great trip and have some happy memories to keep !

DivineDon
05-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences GA, Soda and Dreamer.
It sounds like you had a great trip and have some happy memories to keep !

I echo Lacken's sentiments. I know it was a difficult journey but I'm sure in time you'll realise how much it helped you all.

Freypower
05-05-2016, 05:46 PM
I'm so glad the three of you did this - it must have been cathartic for you & a great way to honour Glenn. I wish I could do something similar - but I am not in a position to travel.

05-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Thanks again everyone for all of your kinds words. As GA said, our trip was a different experience than all of our previous ones for sure. The three of us were there with the same sense of purpose - to celebrate Glenn's life and to honor his memory. Every time we had something to drink, we toasted Glenn. I'm glad we stayed in Royal Oak instead of downtown Detroit - it just seemed like we were where we should be. I hope we did him proud and would like to think he was, indeed, looking over us with a big grin on his face.

As far as the music, some of you may know that I had hardly listened to any music of any kind since Glenn's death - my heart just hadn't been in it. However, I had decided a few ago that I would play all of Glenn's solo work and Eagles albums on my long drive to Detroit. A few days before the trip, I listened to my Bob Seger and Jackson Browne CDs to prepare myself. So, even though it was hard at times, I did get through the entire Glenn and Eagles catalogs.

Glennsallnighter
05-06-2016, 06:28 AM
I'm so glad the three of you did this - it must have been cathartic for you & a great way to honour Glenn. I wish I could do something similar - but I am not in a position to travel.

It was indeed cathartic - and I believe that word was used several times while we were there. We did have some fun too - Glenn :heart: would not have liked us to be downhearted the whole time that we were there. As Dreamer said it was very appropriate to stay in Royal Oak and walk the streets that Glenn :heart: (presumably) walked and take in the atmosphere of the area. For me the highlight was being able to visit Glenn Frey Drive while it was still new and fresh.It wasn't a 'cure all' but meeting with great friends who understand what we are all going through and being able to commemorate Glenn in a manner befitting him was definitely a milestone on the road to acceptance.

I have listened to Glenn :heart:'s music since he passed on but when I tried After Hours I just couldn't do it yet. As Sunday is the 4th Anniversary of its release I hope to listen to it in full.

I know I was lucky to have the time and the means to travel to make this tribute, like I was able to travel to see his shows too when he was alive.

NOLA
05-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Thank you, Soda, Dreamer, and GA, for sharing your experiences! Sounds like you had a wonderful time remembering all the great things about Glenn as both the man and the musician. (We won't call him a rock star, either! ;)) And, GA, you look fabulous in that photo! :)

Freypower
05-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Thank you, Soda, Dreamer, and GA, for sharing your experiences! Sounds like you had a wonderful time remembering all the great things about Glenn as both the man and the musician. (We won't call him a rock star, either! ;)) And, GA, you look fabulous in that photo! :)

See my signature for an After Hours era comment on how he felt after working with an orchestra.

Niagara Falls & Los Angeles were the highlights of my concert experiences as well. I am so glad I went to those shows, especially Niagara Falls which I will never forget. Although Brisbane 2013 was special for other reasons....:thud:

sodascouts
05-06-2016, 08:49 PM
I must have listened to his entire catalog three times over this past week. The music is always there for us. It is his legacy and as GA told me, he will never be forgotten as long as it is played.

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2016, 07:47 PM
If anyone would like to see the actual video I recorded it on the ipad. The quality isn't great but at least I got something!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1e78P_uvg

sodascouts
05-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks for posting that!

Dawn
05-08-2016, 09:28 PM
If anyone would like to see the actual video I recorded it on the ipad. The quality isn't great but at least I got something!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1e78P_uvg

Wow - this is great! Thanks so much!

05-09-2016, 12:09 AM
That is awesome! Thanks so much, GA. It's great to have that so we can relive Glenn's tribute.

buffyfan145
05-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Thanks for posting the vid GA!!! :D That is great and I love they added video of Glenn during it.

AlreadyGone95
05-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Thanks for posting the video you took, GA.

Brooke
05-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Ga! :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
05-09-2016, 05:30 PM
You are all very welcome - it was a pleasure - a labour of love!!

L101
05-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Great video GA, thanks for posting it. I love that they used some of the 'How Long' video, I thought Glenn sounded great on that song :-)

Gemini
05-09-2016, 08:01 PM
I'm really glad I got a chance to see that. Thanks for sharing it! It sounds like it was a nice trip ... full of both happy and sad.

FWIW
05-10-2016, 12:59 AM
Thanks much, GA. So nice of you to share the video with us.

RudieCantFail
05-10-2016, 01:35 AM
Thank you GA! I liked the videos on it as well. Don't worry about the video quality, just hearing what it was like is great and the video footage just adds icing to the cake. I mostly just record audio because video takes up too much memory storage.

Glennsallnighter
12-27-2016, 12:56 PM
A cute little post script

I have a cousin who lives in Michigan - Ann Arbour. I have recenty connected with him on FB and he came over to Ireland for Christmas for Christmas as his daughter is now working over here. He brought his new lady (his wife died a few years ago). Anyway they told me they were at the awards too! Her company had one of the tables below us!! My cousin hadn't realised I was there until the next day that I posted that I was in Detroit!!

Glennsallnighter
04-29-2020, 04:43 AM
Well time marches on, I can't believe its 4 years already since we stood on Glenn Frey Drive and went to the awards ceremony. I'm wearing my Royal Oak t-shirt today as I work from home. I know it seems like eons away now but I really hope I get to Detroit again and that I manage to hook up again with Soda, Dreamer and my other Glenn :heart: friends sooner rather than later. At least we have the music and the memories to fall back on.