PDA

View Full Version : Members+ Album

Annoying Twit
05-19-2016, 12:37 AM
Like many others, I'm sure that without Glenn there will not be another Eagles album.

However having heard Expando recently, I'm wondering if some or all of the other members could record an album together at some time. E.g. an album attributed to Henley/Schmit/Walsh album, perhaps with some Eagles 6th members such as Jackson Browne and/or JD Souther to make an even larger supergroup.

The combined efforts of all these members could easily come up with something really good. I'd like to see it happen, though I personally would prefer it wasn't credited to 'The Eagles'.

Funk 50
05-19-2016, 10:17 AM
I don't think Henley sees any future making music with Joe and Tim. He has a bunch of songwriters he'd much rather write with and musicians aren't as valuable in the digital age so he doesn't need the analog brilliance of Joe and Tim. He may miss being in a band though.

The only thing I can see bringing Joe, Tim and Don (Bernie too) together is the value of the Eagles moniker. Anything they do in future will be far more profitable under the title of the Eagles than using their own names.

They'll unite for a tribute to Glenn, beyond that I don't know. Musically, Joe, Tim and Don seem to be heading in different directions, which, in my book, would make a future collaboration all the more interesting.

NightMistBlue
05-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Welcome, Annoying Twit - I like your user name very much. :)

Annoying Twit
05-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks NightMistBlue.

I don't think Henley sees any future making music with Joe and Tim. He has a bunch of songwriters he'd much rather write with and musicians aren't as valuable in the digital age so he doesn't need the analog brilliance of Joe and Tim. He may miss being in a band though.

The only thing I can see bringing Joe, Tim and Don (Bernie too) together is the value of the Eagles moniker. Anything they do in future will be far more profitable under the title of the Eagles than using their own names.

They'll unite for a tribute to Glenn, beyond that I don't know. Musically, Joe, Tim and Don seem to be heading in different directions, which, in my book, would make a future collaboration all the more interesting.

There would be a lot more financial benefit to doing something under the Eagles name. But, I don't get the impression that it will happen. I could easily be wrong as I'm not up on what has been said in interviews etc. since earlier in the year. A collection of ex-Eagles musicians under a different name would still be financially more of a deal than any one of them on their own.

I bet they're pleased that they did LROOE and the History tour. High notes to finish on.

FWIW
05-19-2016, 05:22 PM
They'll unite for a tribute to Glenn, beyond that I don't know.
Did you read/hear about this tribute somewhere, Funk?

NOLA
05-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Yes, I would like to know, too, because I thought Don was pretty adamant about the Grammy tribute being it for Glenn. I haven't heard anything about him changing his mind, but that could be because he's focusing on the upcoming leg of his tour.

Freypower
05-19-2016, 06:25 PM
We are al assuming that they will reunite for a tribute even though nothing has been said on the subject. I would be extrremely disapointed if they didn't make this one final effort. I don't want them to do an album. If the thre of them have individual tribute songs they can go on solo allbums.

Annoying Twit
05-19-2016, 07:29 PM
We are al assuming that they will reunite for a tribute even though nothing has been said on the subject. I would be extrremely disapointed if they didn't make this one final effort. I don't want them to do an album. If the thre of them have individual tribute songs they can go on solo allbums.

I don't quite understand. Weren't the Grammys something that could qualify as 'one final effort'? Not that I'd object if something more happens: Jackson Browne makes a good sub for Glenn. But, I think that Don H. has already said it: that could easily be their last time together.

One thing: I know Don needs to front the band, but I was happy to see him behind the drums at the Grammys.

Freypower
05-19-2016, 07:41 PM
I don't quite understand. Weren't the Grammys something that could qualify as 'one final effort'? Not that I'd object if something more happens: Jackson Browne makes a good sub for Glenn. But, I think that Don H. has already said it: that could easily be their last time together.

One thing: I know Don needs to front the band, but I was happy to see him behind the drums at the Grammys.

Not to me. A hurriedly put together rendtion of Take It Easy when everyone was still raw with grief.

I want them to do something like Concert For George where they all sing Glenn's songs. I don't necessarily want them all to play together at the same time, but I would expect Henley to play drums at least some of the time. It may be the final time he ever plays drums.

WS82Classics
05-19-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm certainly of the opinion that, aside from a possible tribute for Glenn, there won't be any future performances from the guys under the 'Eagles' moniker.

As to future collaborative efforts with band members, I could easily envision Henley working with either Schmit or Walsh, but not both at the same time. Unofficial members Scott Crago and Steuart Smith have worked in Henley's solo band in the past and will probably continue to do so.

The one former Eagle who would unquestionably be a solid collaborator for Henley would seem to be Bernie Leadon, ironically because of some of the same artistic considerations that in-part fuelled his departure from the band 40+ years ago(Leadon wanting a more Country sound as opposed to the rocking direction the band was taking).

Must stress that it is still quite early and this is all speculative at this point.

Annoying Twit
05-20-2016, 01:22 AM
Not to me. A hurriedly put together rendtion of Take It Easy when everyone was still raw with grief.

I want them to do something like Concert For George where they all sing Glenn's songs. I don't necessarily want them all to play together at the same time, but I would expect Henley to play drums at least some of the time. It may be the final time he ever plays drums.

That makes sense. But, given what Don H has said, will it happen? Of course, he said that it may be the last time soon after Glenn's passing, and he may come round to doing something more impressive later on.

I wonder if Henley & Frey ever talked about what they should do if the other should pass on.

Funk 50
05-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your many contributions, to the various topics of conversation, Annoying Twit. I'm enjoying reading and replying to them. :cheers:

I thought Irying spoke about putting together a grand, everyone will be there, tribute to Glenn, once everybody has had some time to recover from the initial shock of his death. I took Joe's comments as, it's still too soon to start discussing it.

Glenn always seemed to be in control of the Eagles destiny, so it wouldn't be a surprise to learn that they spoke about mortality but I don't think Glenn's initial surgery was a life threatening procedure, until the complications set in. They were expecting a long period of convalescence. I'm way out of my depth here.

I don't know which is worse, the Eagles continuing in the absence of mainstay and leader,Glenn or letting the Eagles name, that they worked so hard to establish and maintain, fall into wrack and ruin, through neglect. :|

Annoying Twit
05-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks for your many contributions, to the various topics of conversation, Annoying Twit. I'm enjoying reading and replying to them. :cheers:

I thought Irying spoke about putting together a grand, everyone will be there, tribute to Glenn, once everybody has had some time to recover from the initial shock of his death. I took Joe's comments as, it's still too soon to start discussing it.

Glenn always seemed to be in control of the Eagles destiny, so it wouldn't be a surprise to learn that they spoke about mortality but I don't think Glenn's initial surgery was a life threatening procedure, until the complications set in. They were expecting a long period of convalescence. I'm way out of my depth here.

I don't know which is worse, the Eagles continuing in the absence of mainstay and leader,Glenn or letting the Eagles name, that they worked so hard to establish and maintain, fall into wrack and ruin, through neglect. :|

As a songwriter, I'm sure that Glenn would prefer that his songs be sung live. That they wouldn't just fall into disuse.

I think that the Concert for George was extremely well done. They had a great band, a great selection of songs, and a great selection of who sang what. If there was a Concert for George style tribute for Glenn, who would be there and what would they sing?

Jackson Browne - Take it Easy (has to be)
Linda Ronstadt - Peaceful Easy Feeling
Don Henley - Common Ground
JD Souther - New Kid in Town
Tim Schmit - The One You Love
Joe Walsh - The Heat is On (de-80-ised rocky version) or The Allnighter
Sheryl Crow - Smuggler's Blues
Jack Tempchin - True Love (suitable for his vocal range? - more acoustic but with gospel choir backing)
Joe Walsh - Heartache Tonight (too many Joe vocals, how could these be balanced?)
Bernie Leadon - Lyin' Eyes

Massed song at end: Ol '55

Who else singing what? Need more people. Don F appears? Randy? Probably not I'd guess.

Ignorant Poster alert: I hadn't heard Bernie's 1977 solo album. I had a quick listen before giving Bernie Lyin' Eyes. A few quickly sampled songs - this is GREAT!!!!

EDIT: Jack Tempchin does a great version of Smuggler's Blues, but Sheryl Crow has said that she has been influenced by the Eagles, and if she did the song in her 'The Globe Sessions' style it would be fantastic IMHO.

Freypower
05-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Not Don Felder.

I would like to see other people besides the usual suspects. Randy Newman was at the private memorial service, as was Stevie Wonder.

I see no reason to keep the name going to stop it being 'forgotten'. It can't exist without Glenn. Hard though that is to accept, it's a basic fact.

Also F50, Glenn never had the surgery. He developed pneumoina & was too weak to have the surgery. The pneumonia then became more virulent.

By the way we do have a topic on this subject in Glenn's forum:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6285

Annoying Twit
05-21-2016, 01:45 AM
Not Don Felder.

I would like to see other people besides the usual suspects. Randy Newman was at the private memorial service, as was Stevie Wonder.

I see no reason to keep the name going to stop it being 'forgotten'. It can't exist without Glenn. Hard though that is to accept, it's a basic fact.

Also F50, Glenn never had the surgery. He developed pneumoina & was too weak to have the surgery. The pneumonia then became more virulent.

By the way we do have a topic on this subject in Glenn's forum:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6285

Thanks for the link. I'll continue discussion of a tribute concert there. (After reading to catch up.)