PDA

View Full Version : What should Eagles fans know?

Annoying Twit
05-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Let's say that there is someone, a friend - yeah that's it - a friend, who has some Eagles albums among his very favourite albums, but is not particularly knowledgeable, what should they really know about the Eagles?

What things? Associated artists? Obscure unreleased tracks? Important interviews? Random facts? What should Eagles fans know?

UndertheWire
05-23-2016, 08:11 AM
The first thing to know is who was in the band for which album, maybe with a few pointers like:
- if you hear a banjo, it's probably Bernie Leadon who left after One of These Nights.
- the high keening vocal on the first five albums is Randy Meisner who left after Hotel California.
- Don Henley sings Hotel California, Glenn Frey sings Lyin' Eyes, Randy Meisner sings Take It To The Limit, Timothy B Schmit sings I Can't Tell you Why and that should give them a good start in recognising the voices.

Annoying Twit
05-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Thanks.

Eagles albums and members are OK. I^H oops he knows all of that.

Solo albums not so well known - being sorted out.

Associated bands, some are known e.g. Shiloh. Bands like Poco, that's much less well known. No idea where to start.

Are there rarities?

UndertheWire
05-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Send him to Soda's main site https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/ and the ones she has for each band member and let him poke around. She has so much on there.

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 10:55 AM
Are there rarities?

Yes but they don't really circulate

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Yes but they don't really circulate

Why is that, do you think?

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Why is that, do you think?

fear of Don Henley

Annoying Twit
05-23-2016, 11:30 AM
fear of Don Henley

You've just named Don Felder's next album.

It's not illegal to mention the names of unreleased songs. The remainder is an exercise for the reader.

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 11:35 AM
You've just named Don Felder's next album.

It's not illegal to mention the names of unreleased songs. The remainder is an exercise for the reader.

There's one that was also the title track to a Linda Ronstadt album with a famous cover

AlreadyGone95
05-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Didn't Bernie record or perform a song called Georgia Peaches around '74 or '75? I think that there was 2 songs performed in concerts around that time that never made onto an album.

I think that even casual fans should know who sang what, at least with the hits. I used to think that Don Henley sang every song, lol.

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 11:42 AM
You're so mysterious! :headscratch: Hasten Down the Wind? Silk Purse?

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 11:44 AM
You're so mysterious! :headscratch: Hasten Down the Wind? Silk Purse?

There's no song called "Silk Purse." But you're right

Jonny Come Lately
05-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Has your friend seen the History of the Eagles documentary? If not, he definitely should. There are a lot of very interesting stories there, as well as the headline grabbing stuff like Leadon, Meisner and Felder's departures you also get great anecdotes about how Walsh came up with the riff for Life In The Fast Lane. My Dad, who likes the Eagles but is not as big a fan as I am (he loves Hotel California - including songs like The Last Resort and Wasted Time, not just the hits, but probably wouldn't know which song Bitter Creek was) loved HOTE. Since he saw it whenever a rockumentary has come on I've usually said to him 'don't expect it to be as good as the Eagles one!' :lol:

A few interesting rarities I know of are Georgia Peach and Wait and See from the On The Border era. there is a thread on here where you can listen to live versions of these from late 1973), and Get Up Kate. I think that's on a website somewhere (I'm afraid I can't remember where now) with a different version of Nightingale.

I think it's also worth knowing about the change of producer after the original On The Border sessions in London with Glyn Johns, which led them to bringing in Bill Szymczyk, who was already Joe's producer (as an aside, I think being able to spell 'Szymczyk' correctly from memory is a good sign of a proper Eagles fan!)

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Thank you, sir. Who sings lead on "Hasten"?

AG, Bernie's song "Georgia Peach" and Randy's epic "Oh Darlin'/Wait and See/I'm a Sinner" were done in concert and recorded in the studio with Glyn Johns for On the Border.

Henley, have mercy on us! I hope we all live long enough to hear these treasures.

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 11:51 AM

AG, Bernie's song "Georgia Peach" and Randy's epic "Oh Darlin'/Wait and See/I'm a Sinner" were done in concert and recorded in the studio with Glyn Johns for On the Border.

Henley, have mercy on us! I hope we all live long enough to hear these treasures.

Don H

I doubt he will in his lifetime. We're talking major mediocrity here

Annoying Twit
05-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Yes, they have seen the documentary when it was on Netflix.

(Looks)

It's still there.

AlreadyGone95
05-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Glad to see that I did remember correctly. (I can remember Georgia Peaches since I am a Georgian.)

Hey Don, the fans would willingly spend money for any archival goodies.

I don't think that anyone has mentioned knowing the solo careers, at least Glenn, Don, and Joe's since they had success. I think that being able to name the solo albums and the hits is a requirement.

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Don H

I doubt he will in his lifetime. We're talking major mediocrity here

"Wait and See" is mediocre? The live version is scorching, even on a very poor recording.

It would still have value, but of course Mr. H. doesn't see it that way.

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 12:12 PM
"Wait and See" is mediocre? The live version is scorching, even on a very poor recording.

It would still have value, but of course Mr. H. doesn't see it that way.

I'm talking all of it in general, especially looking through his lens

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Gotcha. I don't suppose he's an easy man to persuade either.

There are so many prominent musicians that are known to be perfectionists to the point of OCD - Lindsey Buckingham comes to mind - and yet even they have no problem with releasing demo versions, alternate mixes, etc. for the fans to enjoy.

shunlvswx
05-23-2016, 12:49 PM
I love the song Hasten Down the Wind. I used to hear it a lot on Pandora. Don does a great job on that song.

I know Don sings the song with Linda, but I don't think he sung that song by himself.

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 12:58 PM
I love the song Hasten Down the Wind. I used to hear it a lot on Pandora. Don does a great job on that song.

I know Don sings the song with Linda, but I don't think he sung that song by himself.

Eagles (OTB - Glyn Johns version)

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Don H. hasn't had Bill Halverson killed yet, despite the latter posting two archival Eagles songs on his web site. Maybe that will encourage others to share? I live in hope.

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Let me correct that - "Hasten" was from the Szymczyk OTB

shunlvswx
05-23-2016, 01:33 PM
I must be thinking of another Hasten song. I didn't know their were two.

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Maybe the Eagles covered the same Zevon tune.

EDIT: come to think of it though, wouldn't 1973/74 be very early - too early perhaps - for someone to be covering a Warren Zevon anything.

Scarlet Sun
05-23-2016, 01:44 PM
Maybe the Eagles covered the same Zevon tune.

EDIT: come to think of it though, wouldn't 1973/74 be very early - too early perhaps - for someone to be covering a Warren Zevon anything.

According to Wikipedia he had been in music business since the late 60's and placed a song on the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack. In any case, it's the same song.

shunlvswx
05-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Ok. I think we are talking about the same song. Its originally Warren's song, but I didn't know the Eagles covered it. I just know Linda covered that song with Don singing harmonies on Hasten Down The Wind.

SilverAcidRayne
05-23-2016, 02:21 PM
fear of Don Henley is correct. if I even thought about looking for bootlegs he would have my hide in a sling. lmao

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 02:35 PM
He would come to your house and yell at you.

SilverAcidRayne
05-23-2016, 02:45 PM
He would come to your house and yell at you.

yes. very scary to think about. lol

NOLA
05-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Oh, let me see...that Don Henley has a lot of fans out there who don't think he's a raging control-freak asshole.

Yeah, that's about it.😡

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 02:59 PM
Ah, we're just joshing - no insult intended.

SilverAcidRayne
05-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Ah, we're just joshing - no insult intended.

yes indeed. lol

but in that business you have to be that way sometimes or else they will walk all over you.

NOLA
05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Yes, SAR, that is common sense. But, this thread quickly derailed from an inquiry about band knowledge to a Don Henley bashfest. It gets old after a while.

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 03:39 PM
I like Mr. H. and appreciate his talent - I'm sure we all do or we wouldn't be here.

SilverAcidRayne
05-23-2016, 04:14 PM
but... it wasn't a bash fest. I basically stated in a joking way that I wouldn't want to be on his bad side. we all know he is a sweet heart and we love him. it was all in fun :)

Annoying Twit
05-23-2016, 04:30 PM
Yes, SAR, that is common sense. But, this thread quickly derailed from an inquiry about band knowledge to a Don Henley bashfest. It gets old after a while.

I don't mind. It's all good, as long as there is the occasional bit of Eagles knowledge in the mix.

SilverAcidRayne
05-23-2016, 05:21 PM
I have grown to appreciate Bernie's banjo playing though. He plays it very well. I wonder if he still does?

Freypower
05-23-2016, 06:39 PM
I have grown to appreciate Bernie's banjo playing though. He plays it very well. I wonder if he still does?

He played banjo on at least one track when I saw them on the HOTE tour, I'm sure of it - Doolin-Dalton perhaps.

AT, your friend should perhaps investigate the book Flying High by Laura Jackson. Most will recommend Marc Eliot's To The Limit but I don't because Glenn is treated very unfairlly in it. I do not recommend Don Felder's book Heaven & Hell but I guess it should be mentioned. Barney Hoskyns' Hotel California is a good overview of the country rock scene.

Regarding rarities etc, I don;t object to those being hidden. I have heard Georgia Peach & Wait & See & wasn't impressed. It's the lack of DVDs for the LROOE & HOTE tours that I have a problem with, especially now.

MortSahlFan
05-23-2016, 08:41 PM
I think ALL members who were Eagles should be given credit for they did specifically. Nothing should go overlooked - everyone deserves the truth.

DivineDon
05-24-2016, 03:03 AM
Oh, let me see...that Don Henley has a lot of fans out there who don't think he's a raging control-freak asshole.

Yeah, that's about it.😡

There's a distinction between 'control freak' and 'perfectionist' and I agree, NOLA that Don's extremely high standards (and Glenn's it must be said) have contributed to why the Eagles' music is held in such high esteem.

I know you guys were joking but I just wanted to make the point.

travlnman2
05-24-2016, 05:11 PM
It's Eagles not The Eagles

NOLA
05-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Similarly, Timothy's last name is not synonymous with a brewery, therefore no "d" in it, Glenn's first name boasts a double consonant at the end, and his surname is not to be confused with a boot manufacturer. It's "Frey," not "Frye."
I know a lot of fans have pet peeves about these common misspellings.

Annoying Twit
05-26-2016, 12:42 AM
It's Eagles not The Eagles

I know this, but it's sometimes difficult to get something that sounds grammatically correct while avoiding the 'the'. Hence, I sometimes put a small the before Eagles.

Joe Walsh is a member of Eagles. Eagles reunited in 1994 for the Hell Freezes Over album. Eagles were lead by Glenn Frey and Don Henley. Don Felder sued Eagles after he was dismissed in 1994. Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh was a member of The James Gang, Barnstorm, and released solo albums before he joined Eagles. Few people know that Bill Clinton was going to be a founder member of Eagles but Hillary insisted that he receive 1/2 of all royalties in perpetuity even though he didn't write songs, sing, and could only play a little bit of saxophone. Eagles refused. Ah, the last one is where I would typically put a 'the'.

UndertheWire
05-26-2016, 04:15 AM
In the documentary, even Glenn Frey used "the", so I'll go with "the Eagles" just not "The Eagles".

WalshFan88
05-26-2016, 04:27 AM
In the documentary, even Glenn Frey used "the", so I'll go with "the Eagles" just not "The Eagles".

That capital T makes the difference.

I don't care, you'll never ever hear me say "My favorite band is Eagles".... It sounds waaaay weird. It's one of those names that needs a "the" in front for no explainable reason other than it feels right. Though I don't like it when people bill them as The Eagles, but a lowercase t is very much ok with me and what I use unless it's the start of a sentence, which I'll find something else to use before the name (my favorite band is the Eagles rather than The Eagles are my favorite band.).

sodascouts
06-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Send him to Soda's main site https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/ and the ones she has for each band member and let him poke around. She has so much on there.

Thanks for the plug!

If your friend has watched the History of the Eagles documentary, than many of the basics have been covered, at least regarding Glenn and Don. A lot of the early careers of the other guys were not covered in very much depth. That will require research like visiting pertinent sites and looking them up on YouTube.

I agree about the capital "T" making the difference with regard to the band's moniker. A lower case "t" signals that it's not officially part of the name. Since they chose a common noun for the band name, though, it's inevitably going to require the article to sound grammatically correct. If they didn't want that, they should have chosen a proper noun. A proper noun phrase like "Teen King and the Emergencies" wouldn't require an article before it, but... I think they made the right decision in ditching that, lol.

Annoying Twit
06-03-2016, 12:45 PM
That's your site? I've been using it all the time.

NightMistBlue
06-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Soda has done great service to Eagle fandom by creating this site as well as individual sites for each group member: GlennFreyOnline, RandyMeisnerOnline, etc. Visit 'em all, they're well done and packed full of information.