PDA

View Full Version : "Already Gone" Book 1 in the Eagles Series

Jeremy Lawrence
06-08-2016, 05:36 AM
When I was 10 years old during the mid 70's, the first thing I remember saving money for was to buy the Eagles Greatest Hits album. It was my favorite album then, and still is today. For some reason I always identified the most with the song "Already Gone". I still think, "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key" is the greatest song lyric of all time. (Thanks Jack and Robb!)

I've always romanticized about writing a novel about a girl who was obsessed with the Eagles, she was on her way to Winslow, Arizona because she believed she was the girl in the flatbed Ford. A couple years ago a good friend died of cancer. He was young, my age, and that was finally the inspiration for me to start writing. After 10 months of writing, researching, outlining, learning, re-writing, editing, more re-writing, formatting, reviewing....that book is finished.

It's called "Already Gone" and that song and especially the line, "So often times it happens..." is the theme of the book. You can find it on Amazon here;
http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
(You can even read the first 4.5 chapters for free!)

I think it's an entertaining book for anyone, but will have a deeper meaning for Eagles fans. On the surface it's an engaging (and funny) detective-murder-mystery about a tough city girl partnered with a quirky male detective. The woman has just had her "Already Gone" moment in life, and the man is about to have his. On another level it's a comment on today's society regarding fame, fortune, celebrity, happiness and what exactly is "success". Then there's a whole other level and themes that only Eagles fans will fully appreciate. So read carefully :)

That's all I'm going to say about the book except for this... we Eagles fans obviously have a deeper appreciation of what that band and their songs mean to us. We love them as much today as we did the first time we heard them on the radio a long time ago. They've gotten us through tough times and made good times even better. Every song reminds us of different periods, places, and people in our lives. We are now, always have been, and always will be the guy standing on the corner and the girl in the flatbed Ford.

I would like to thank Glenn, Don, the rest of the band, Irving and Bill, Jack and the other songwriters, and Eagles fans everywhere for inspiring me to write this book. I hope you enjoy it and I think you will. Please post a message on this thread or the Already Gone Facebook page when you're done, I love hearing what people think about it, especially Eagles fans.

Almost forgot, this is book 1 of 3. The second one is called "Take It Easy" and I'm writing it now. The third, "Peaceful Easy Feeling", is outlined but mostly in my head for now.

Thanks,
Jeremy Lawrence
Author - Already Gone: a Novel
http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

*** Special thanks to The Borders own "Ive always been a dreamer" for being a beta reader and providing great feedback and enthusiasm about the book. ***

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51HAfQk2-TL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

buffyfan145
06-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Congrats Jeremy on the book!!! :D I love mystery/crime novels, romance novels, and of course the Eagles, so will have to check this out. I also love that lyric from "Already Gone" as you can tell from my sig. Nice to see another author on here as well as I've self-published my own novels too. I'm currently finishing work on my 4th "Angel Eyes", which I'm planning to have out in a couple weeks once I finish editing. That one is different from my first three novels and my novella as those were romantic dramas, and this new one is a romantic thriller.

I too get inspired by music so my novels all have playlists. After Glenn passed and listening again to their songs and Glenn's solo music I remembered a story idea I first had when I was 11/12 while listening to Eagles music and over the years I had some similar ideas so I decided to combine those elements from the various stories. I've already written over half of my 5th novel and still working on it (since the editing and publishing of "Angel Eyes" needs to get done). I'm hoping to have it out next year.

Jeremy Lawrence
06-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Thanks buffyfan. Have you been able to quit your day job yet? Or are you a prof writer?

I'll check out your books when I get time.

LuvTim
06-08-2016, 10:38 AM
I wish you both great success with your writing endeavors. :-)

Brooke
06-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Jeremy, thanks for sharing your book with us! I will check it out when I have time. It definitely sounds like something I would enjoy! I also love that line, always been one of my favorites too!

Good luck to you and Buffy with your endeavors! I can't even imagine writing one book let alone several!

FWIW
06-08-2016, 04:36 PM
I can relate to your story. My first album purchase (with my own money) was also the Eagles Greatest Hits.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. Kudos for pursuing your dream and publishing your book. I wish you much success. I'm going to try to read the first few chapters this weekend.

buffyfan145
06-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks Jeremy and everyone else!!! :D Haven't been able to quit the day job yet, but even if it's just a small thing I like to get my stories out there and why I like I can self-publish and be an indie author. I always equate it to musicians or painters and I'll still keep writing no matter what. I've done it since I was little, especially to music, so I always will. Just hard sometimes finding the time with work, college, family, my shows, etc. but I do. LOL

Ive always been a dreamer
06-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Jeremy - First of all, congrats on the release of your book. I know you must be both very proud and excited that this long process has finally seen the light of day. I believe it was last fall when when you first contacted me about editing your book and I know it went through several redactions since then until it was finalized. I was happy to provide you with feedback, and especially to help out with the fact-checking of the band. I wish you much success with the book and am looking forward to the other two, Take It Easy and Peaceful Easy Feeling.

For all of our Border book and Eagles lovers, I would recommend this book. It is an easy, quick, and entertaining read. It has suspense, romance, and humor, as well as, our beloved Eagles as a backdrop. The book does include some mature, adult content, but most of it is in isolated chapters rather than throughout the entire story. It will leave you wanting to hear more from the protagonists, Waters and McBayne, and it seems that will happen with two more books to come in the series.

MaryCalifornia
06-13-2016, 12:17 PM
This is so cool! I'm so impressed by our writers here on the Border. I will check out these books! Congrats!

Jeremy Lawrence
06-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Please do Mary. And msg/post me when you're done. I want to discuss the book with more Eagles fans... see what they think.

Brooke
06-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Jeremy, I really liked what I read and have placed my order!

Sounds like it will be right up my ally!

Tiffanny Twisted
06-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Hi jeramy
I checked it out .
Very cool

Idont have a kindel I have a nook ?
I can't seem To find it for nook format.
(I like instant gratification and l I
Just finished the book I was reading On my nook )
Before I order the paper back,
Do you know if its available in nook format?

Tiffanny Twisted
06-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Ok I called my store
Not on the nook
Just ordered it from b and n .com
No instant gratification fir me lol

Jeremy Lawrence
06-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Hi Tiffany,
No idea. You can get a free Kindle app on your smart phone. That's what I use.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion
Will remember it For next time :faint:
I ordered it will be sent to the house .

But thanks for the answer.

Good luck to you .

I'll be excited to get it .

zeldabjr
06-15-2016, 02:19 AM
Congratulations on the book Jeremy!! very exciting...can't wait to read it!!

Glennsallnighter
06-15-2016, 05:35 PM
I will check them out too Jeremy

Brooke
06-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Mine is on it's way to me! :yay:

Jeremy Lawrence
06-16-2016, 07:16 PM
That's great everyone, thanks for ordering.
After you read it, post your thoughts, I'll answer any questions you have.
-jl

AlreadyGone95
06-17-2016, 02:07 AM
The books sounds like it's my kind of book. I'll buy it when I can, which will probably be in a week or so. (Broke college student syndrome has begun. lol)

I envy those who can write for a living or to supplement their income or those who can write naturally and for the fun of it. Being a writer has always seemed like a profession that allowed freedom. I have thought about being a writer before back in high school. I'm about to start on draft 2 on my second essay for English class( describe an inanimate object and use it for a metaphor for something larger than it is). While I am a very good writer, I'm not creative enough to do it for more than just a good grade. (I'm logical writer and person.) This essay has pushed my creativity to the limits.

Buffy, are your books available in the physical format?

Jeremy Lawrence
06-17-2016, 08:32 AM
AlreadyGone95 (from your handle, you should like the book). The kindle version is only $5.99, and you can get the free Kindle app on your phone, that's what I use.

I have always been a good writer (spent the last 25 yrs writing software though), this is my first full-length novel. And being a good writer is a pre req, but not nearly the only thing required to write a book (a good one anyway).

Check out "Free Writing", I do that once in a while.

Good luck in school, be sure to take a curriculum where you can get a job when you're dong :)

-jl

buffyfan145
06-17-2016, 10:40 AM
AG, all of my books are in paperback and eBook form on both Amazon and Lulu (where I self-published). They're also on Barnes & Noble in paperback as well. Just search my name Amanda Hogan and they'll be there and on my author page. :) I'll post in the book thread when my new novel is available.

Jeremy, I'm planning on doing an Amazon order soon and this will for sure be in it. I prefer having an actual book.

Brooke
06-17-2016, 01:10 PM
My book came today! Can't wait to start on it!

AlreadyGone95
06-18-2016, 03:48 PM
AG, all of my books are in paperback and eBook form on both Amazon and Lulu (where I self-published). They're also on Barnes & Noble in paperback as well. Just search my name Amanda Hogan and they'll be there and on my author page. :) I'll post in the book thread when my new novel is available.

Jeremy, I'm planning on doing an Amazon order soon and this will for sure be in it. I prefer having an actual book.

Thanks for letting me know, Amanda. I also prefer having a physical book. I just feels so better. That's why I love libraries. I'll order a book or 2 of yours when I have a chance to. :)

Thanks Jeremy. I'm trying to be smart about my classes.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Whoo my book arrived
So excited to read it
Thanks

Jeremy Lawrence
06-20-2016, 09:49 AM
Tiffany/Brooke,

Well, how do you like it? Msg me when done.

-JL

Tiffanny Twisted
06-21-2016, 06:24 AM
Ok great so far

Jeremy Lawrence
06-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Brooke/Twisted what chapter? how do you like it?
Need some discussion with Eagles gals!
-jl

Brooke
06-24-2016, 03:18 PM
Well, I really like it. I read on my downtime at work so it usually takes me awhile! I'm on Chapter 28.

It's a little more explicit than I usually read, but I can handle it! Very interesting story!

:thumbsup: Jeremy!

Jeremy Lawrence
06-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Help!... looking for more motivated Eagles reviewers for "Already Gone".

Private msg me if you have questions, need a free copy, etc.

Note, I have the free Kindle app on my iPhone, Love it!

https://www.amazon.com/Already-Gone-Novel-Eagle-Book-ebook/dp/B01G4ILO3I

-jl

AlreadyGone95
06-30-2016, 05:16 PM
Help!... looking for more motivated Eagles reviewers for "Already Gone".

Private msg me if you have questions, need a free copy, etc.

Note, I have the free Kindle app on my iPhone, Love it!

-jl

I'll be buying a book copy off of Amazon tomorrow.

buffyfan145
07-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Ended up getting the eBook version, have read a couple chapters, and enjoying it so far!!! :D

Brooke
07-01-2016, 03:42 PM
JL, finished your book! I really liked it! Great job! :thumbsup:

I'll be waiting for the next one!

Jeremy Lawrence
07-01-2016, 03:46 PM
JL, finished your book! I really liked it! Great job! :thumbsup:

I'll be waiting for the next one!

That's great Brooke, thanks. Couple questions (Without creating a spoiler);

1) Could you relate to Carlie McBayne as an Eagles girl?

2) What Eagles songs/themes did you notice in the book?

3) Were you left wondering how she became an Eagles fan?

Thanks,
-jl

Brooke
07-01-2016, 04:48 PM
That's great Brooke, thanks. Couple questions (Without creating a spoiler);

1) Could you relate to Carlie McBayne as an Eagles girl?

2) What Eagles songs/themes did you notice in the book?

3) Were you left wondering how she became an Eagles fan?

Thanks,
-jl

1) Yes, but could've used a little more Eagles content and woven it in to the story more.... maybe?
2) Lyin' Eyes, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Take It Easy and Winslow, AZ and the desert (Hotel Ca) at the end.
3) Yes

AlreadyGone95
07-02-2016, 08:55 AM
I bought a copy a little while ago. I also bought one of Buffy's books, Double Play ( baseball and music? Heck yeah!). I bought both books together in order to qualify for free shipping, so the probably won't be here until week after next.

Jeremy Lawrence
07-02-2016, 09:22 AM
I bought a copy a little while ago. I also bought one of Buffy's books, Double Play ( baseball and music? Heck yeah!). I bought both books together in order to qualify for free shipping, so the probably won't be here until week after next.

Thanks AG, much appreciated.
-jl

buffyfan145
07-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks so much AG!!! :D "Double Play" is the one I almost named "The Boys of Summer" as I pictured a lot of the story to Don's song. Plus, I loved writing musician characters and creating my own fictional band and baseball team. LOL

Jeremy, I'm a little over 25% in the book and it's good!!! :D I'm loving the banter between Carlie and Chance!!! Plus, it's interesting seeing the crime unfold during the story and not have the book start with it like most detective/PI novels I read. Love the Eagles references so far and I can totally relate being a younger fan and it's making me look forward to finding out how she became a fan, which I think you said would be in book 2.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Jeremy, I'm a little over 25% in the book and it's good!!! :D I'm loving the banter between Carlie and Chance!!! Plus, it's interesting seeing the crime unfold during the story and not have the book start with it like most detective/PI novels I read. Love the Eagles references so far and I can totally relate being a younger fan and it's making me look forward to finding out how she became a fan, which I think you said would be in book 2.

I agree with you about this, bf. I also liked the way that played out in the book.

Jeremy Lawrence
07-02-2016, 04:00 PM
I agree with you about this, bf. I also liked the way that played out in the book.

I could have written one long book (700+ pages), but not a big fan of those. So it will be 3 book series, probably 200-250 pages per book.

Working on 2nd one now. Have the outline for 3. This if fun, thanks for the feedback.

-jl

buffyfan145
07-02-2016, 04:18 PM
You're welcome Jeremy!!! :D My writing is similar since the longest story I've written so far has only been a little over 300 pages. Sometimes I do feel like some books are too long and added extra scenes that weren't needed. I'm through 18 chapters now and I got to Chance's tech lab he has at home and I was impressed. I've always loved tech like that and it's like he's got his own Batcave. LOL

buffyfan145
07-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Finished it and really liked it!!! :D I loved Carlie and Chance and their friendship turned relationship. They were great as partners too and working on the case together. I also liked how the personalities were switched as in a lot of books it would be the guy that's more like Carlie and the girl like Chance. Some really messed up characters though involved in the crime. Loved all the Eagles shoutouts!!! :D I also loved Chance's mom too. Can't wait to read the 2nd book!!!

As for those questions you asked:

1. Yes, I could totally relate to Carlie as an Eagles fangirl. Though a bit different for me being a 2nd generation fan as it seems like Carlie discovered them on her own. Did make me wonder if she has a favorite Eagle or if she loves them all equally. Also thought it was funny how she was with their solo songs when I love Glenn & Don's solo music, as well as Joe's.

2. I noticed a lot of Eagles themes/shoutouts like Carlie's favorite song being "Peaceful Easy Feeling", the "Hotel California" house, all the songs they listened to on the radio, her wanting to go to Winslow, the "Lyin' Eyes" comment about Emma, the drug induced vision Carlie had that took place in the desert, the Eagles quilt Chance's mom made her, and that scene with what Chance thought was tequila fitting "Tequila Sunrise". There might've been more I missed.

3. I'm looking forward to finding out Carlie's backstory not only with how she became an Eagles fan but her past in general. Hopefully it's in book 2.

Jeremy Lawrence
07-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Finished it and really liked it!!! :D I loved Carlie and Chance and their friendship turned relationship. They were great as partners too and working on the case together. I also liked how the personalities were switched as in a lot of books it would be the guy that's more like Carlie and the girl like Chance. Some really messed up characters though involved in the crime. Loved all the Eagles shoutouts!!! :D I also loved Chance's mom too. Can't wait to read the 2nd book!!!

As for those questions you asked:

1. Yes, I could totally relate to Carlie as an Eagles fangirl. Though a bit different for me being a 2nd generation fan as it seems like Carlie discovered them on her own. Did make me wonder if she has a favorite Eagle or if she loves them all equally. Also thought it was funny how she was with their solo songs when I love Glenn & Don's solo music, as well as Joe's.

2. I noticed a lot of Eagles themes/shoutouts like Carlie's favorite song being "Peaceful Easy Feeling", the "Hotel California" house, all the songs they listened to on the radio, her wanting to go to Winslow, the "Lyin' Eyes" comment about Emma, the drug induced vision Carlie had that took place in the desert, the Eagles quilt Chance's mom made her, and that scene with what Chance thought was tequila fitting "Tequila Sunrise". There might've been more I missed.

3. I'm looking forward to finding out Carlie's backstory not only with how she became an Eagles fan but her past in general. Hopefully it's in book 2.

Thanks BuffyFan,

Glad you liked it.

"I also liked how the personalities were switched as in a lot of books it would be the guy that's more like Carlie and the girl like Chance."

Good catch. It is different than other murder/mystery/detective novels in that respect.

Thanks for the review.

-jl

Jeremy Lawrence
07-13-2016, 02:31 PM
they promise to send me a picture of them holding it up on "The Corner" in Winslow to post on my website.

This book:

This corner:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/75/fc/e4/standin-on-the-corner.jpg

AlreadyGone95
07-13-2016, 03:13 PM
I got my copy in yesterday. I hope to be able to read it over the weekend.

Jeremy Lawrence
08-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Looking for more reviewers. Contact me if interested.
-jl