PDA

View Full Version : Unknown (song)facts

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Has it ever occurred to anyone else that you are completely into a certain song and want to learn more about it, but internet has nothing to offer? I have this with Learn to be Still, and Last Good Time in Town in particular…

So what do I want with this thread? Good question. It could become a place where everyone shares interesting but barely known information. About the two songs mentioned above for example, to start with.

Jonny Come Lately
06-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the Border! I think this is a brilliant idea for a thread. The timing is quite fortunate because I was listening to Long Road Out Of Eden this week and most of those songs are - outside this board, there is almost no discussion for any of these songs.

There are also a handful of songs from the 1970s albums which I think do not get the level of discussion they deserve - I'd be interested to know more about some of the deeper tracks from Desperado and On The Border especially. Good Day In Hell for instance I think is a showstopper and an essential part of the OTB album (although I know plenty disagree!) yet outside the board there is almost no discussion of the song itself (if it is mentioned, at best it will be to mention that it was Felder's debut as an Eagle, at worst it will be condemned as 'satanic'). I'd also love to know more about King of Hollywood - the writing process and arrangement, but especially who was playing what with the rhythm guitar parts.

I haven't got any facts about the two songs you specifically mention, unfortunately, although you may be interested to know my whole family adores Learn To Be Still. There are many songs we all like, but there are very few songs we all agree on loving, and LTBS is one of them. Last Good Time In Town is also one of my favourites on LROOE, it is great fun yet offers charm and warmth. I love the chorus (great combination of lyrics and harmony) as well as Joe's guitar work.

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Thanks for welcoming me, I'm happy to be here! Interesting, Good Day In Hell is a song that I've only started to like recently (which is quite odd) while King of Hollywood has always been one of my favorites, it's so deep and brings me in some kind of dark mood. Well this one is more commonly known, who plays which guitar solo for example. Learn to be Still... it's good that this song isn't as hazy as HC for example, so we still know what the song is about, it has a great message. I see Last Good Time In Town as the Joe equivalent of LROOE, as it's as damn long and great but instead of discussing the Iraq War it's about staying at home and doing the crosswords :spin:

UndertheWire
06-23-2016, 12:06 PM
This was in Henley's recent commentary on the studio albums:

"Good Day in Hell" was Glenn's little tribute to Danny Whitten and Gram Parsons. It's also another one of our running commentaries on the perils of the music business and the lifestyle that often comes with it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/eagles-complete-discography-don-henley-looks-back-20160610#ixzz4CPzV7BsK

Danny Witten was in Crazy Horse, wrote "I don't want to talk about it" (a hit for Rod Stewart), and was one of the people whose death inspired Neil Young's "The needle and the damage done".

Move in, can't you see she wants you
She has you deep in her eyes
You been wonderin' why she haunts you
Beauty in the devil's disguise
She can tell you all about it
She sees it in the stars
She'll burn you if you try to put her down

Oh well, it's been a good day in hell
And tomorrow I'll be glory bound

Higher, she can keep you loaded
Feedin' you whiskey and wine
Fire, the devil's on the phone
He laughs and says you're doin' just fine
In that big book of names
I wanna go down in flames
Seein's how I'm goin' down

Truckin', that's all that I've been doin'
Every girl's a fork in the road
Stuck in some sticky situations
Feelin' like I wanna explode
All this gratification
And sick conversation
Someone get me out of town

Going by Don's comments, it seems that "she" is the music business/musician lifestyle, rather than a troublesome woman. Gram Parsons OD'd after trying to get clean and Witten died from a combination of Valium and alcohol after trying to give up heroin so maybe "She'll burn you if you try to put her down" refers to that.

chaim
06-23-2016, 12:14 PM
I hate to post a comment that offers nothing, but I just have to say that this is a fantastic idea for a thread.

Jeremy Lawrence
06-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Great idea, I love the reason behind the songs. We all know the "Take It Easy" Jackson Browne story.

Also, love how they came up with band names.

However, not a good sign if you cant' find it on the internet somewhere.

Scarlet Sun
06-23-2016, 01:02 PM
OOTN originally had an intro piece consisting of just group harmony and piano which sounds nothing like the rest of the song

TITTL and VOL, in their earlier recorded versions, contained first verses whose lyrics were completely different

NightMistBlue
06-23-2016, 01:37 PM
OOTN originally had an intro piece consisting of just group harmony and piano which sounds nothing like the rest of the song

Have you heard it?

Scarlet Sun
06-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Have you heard it?
yes I have

NightMistBlue
06-23-2016, 02:05 PM
I hope I'm not putting you on the spot, but... are you Bill Szymczyk?

Scarlet Sun
06-23-2016, 02:38 PM
I hope I'm not putting you on the spot, but... are you Bill Szymczyk?
:rofl: no

Funk 50
06-24-2016, 05:48 AM
All I know about Last Good Time In Town is that Joe wrote the verses and JD Souther wrote the chorus. Joe does play the trombone for fun although I'm not sure if it's him on the recording. It does sound, less than accomplished. :grin:

Henley recently listed it as one of Long Road Out Of Eden's "songs of foreboding and farewell: "No More Walks in the Wood," "I Don't Want to Hear Any More," "You Are Not Alone," "Long Road Out of Eden," "Last Good Time in Town," "Center of the Universe," and the eerily prescient "It's Your World Now," Glenn's beautiful philosophical valediction to his wife and kids. It's almost as if we knew that record would be our last."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/eagles-complete-discography-don-henley-looks-back-20160610#ixzz4CUKZXp68

I don't know much about Learn To Be Still either. It was co-written with his now, major co-writer Stan Lynch. It was the last song to be completed for Hell Freezes Over. I think Henley said, "it's so new it's still wet" during the recording of the concert... and he forgot the words, big time, of course which apparently lightened a quite tense atmosphere.

Learn To Be Still was the least performed of the 4 new Hell Freezes Over songs. Anyone who saw that and the Get Over It mantra in concert, experienced a real rarity. :smile:

Freypower
06-24-2016, 08:29 PM
All I know about Last Good Time In Town is that Joe wrote the verses and JD Souther wrote the chorus. Joe does play the trombone for fun although I'm not sure if it's him on the recording. It does sound, less than accomplished. :grin:

Henley recently listed it as one of Long Road Out Of Eden's "songs of foreboding and farewell: "No More Walks in the Wood," "I Don't Want to Hear Any More," "You Are Not Alone," "Long Road Out of Eden," "Last Good Time in Town," "Center of the Universe," and the eerily prescient "It's Your World Now," Glenn's beautiful philosophical valediction to his wife and kids. It's almost as if we knew that record would be our last."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/eagles-complete-discography-don-henley-looks-back-20160610#ixzz4CUKZXp68

I don't know much about Learn To Be Still either. It was co-written with his now, major co-writer Stan Lynch. It was the last song to be completed for Hell Freezes Over. I think Henley said, "it's so new it's still wet" during the recording of the concert... and he forgot the words, big time, of course which apparently lightened a quite tense atmosphere.

Learn To Be Still was the least performed of the 4 new Hell Freezes Over songs. Anyone who saw that and the Get Over It mantra in concert, experienced a real rarity. :smile:

I was not aware that LTBS was ever performed on tour.

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Wow, thank you Funk50! See? I’ve learned some new stuff today!

And I’ve already come up with something new I should probably know but don't… Does anyone know where Bernie’s got the bird sounds from off Earlybird?

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-26-2016, 09:17 AM
I was not aware that LTBS was ever performed on tour.
I've found a video of it. It's worth the watch but it's so laggy you have to send your computer for repair afterwards => http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kxt3k

OntheBorder74
06-26-2016, 07:13 PM
:rofl: no

Lol Are you sure?

Funk 50
06-26-2016, 07:14 PM
The MTV TV show preceded the Hell Freezes Over tour which was almost exclusively Stadiums over a couple of years.

The set list for Irvine California, 29 May 1994 (Opening Show Of The Tour I believe);

01 Hotel California
02 Victim Of Love
03 New Kid In Town
04 Wasted Time
05 Pretty Maids All In A Row
06 The Girl From Yesterday
07 I Can't Tell You Why
08 New York Minute
09 Ordinary Average Guy
10 Lying Eyes
11 One Of These Nights
(Break)
12 Tequila Sunrise
13 Help Me Through The Night
14 The Heart Of The Matter
15 Love Will Keep Us Alive
16 Learn To Be Still
17 You Belong To The City
18 The Boys Of Summer
19 Funk #49
20 Dirty Laundry
21 Smugglers Blues
22 Life's Been Good
23 All She Wants To Do Is Dance
24 Heartache Tonight
25 Life In The Fast Lane
(Encores)
26 Get Over It
27 Amazing Grace / Rocky Mountain Way
28 Already Gone
29 Desperado
30 Take It Easy (not on the bootleg cd but I'm pretty sure they did it)

Does anyone know where Bernie’s got the bird sounds from off Earlybird?
Henley addressed this in his recent Rolling Stone magazine interview http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/eagles-complete-discography-don-henley-looks-back-20160610#ixzz4CjHMaRxm

Trivia question: What are those whistle-y sounds on "Earlybird"?
DH - Those are the sounds of actual birds chirping. They were taken from a sound-effects library. I thought – and still think – it was corny, but it wasn't my song. Adding the chirping sounds was the decision of both the song's author and our producer. Forty-four years later, it really doesn't matter, does it?

According to either Randy or Bernie, I can't remember which, Randy bought the bird whistle at a shop in London. I'm not sure if it inspired the song but they put it on the record.

Eagles7
06-27-2016, 05:36 PM
I've found a video of it. It's worth the watch but it's so laggy you have to send your computer for repair afterwards => http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kxt3k

Thanks for the LTBS link. That's a pretty song..definitely signature Don! I was trying to listen to Help Me Through the Night which I love, particular the old version of Joe with Don, Glenn, and Felder before he was even an Eagle. I couldn't get it to play, though.

Hey, there is a DVD of HFO right? Is it worth the few. A lot of those songs were on that link you posted.

Eagles7
06-28-2016, 12:25 AM
https://g.co/kgs/ZtzP3D

Are u guys familiar with this? Random Victims, Part 3. It's pretty cool, and I listened a couple of times to try to identify who's speaking/singing.

Any insights?

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Thanks Funk50, whenever I put on this song I used to imagine Bernie singing next to a bird cage until this moment… with the birds having their own lil mic in front of them.

Glad I could help, Eagles7. I even thought it was Don Henley by himself before I found out it was with the Eagles. But then I found out it was written by both Don and Stan Lynch… That explains a lot.

sodascouts
07-01-2016, 08:59 PM
I put together a page of Glenn's comments on certain songs a few years ago. It contains comments on over 50 songs, alphabetized. Feel free to check it out for some additional song facts:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/quotes/songs.htm