PDA

View Full Version : Favorite quotes from all members

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-23-2016, 10:54 AM
My second thread and I’m hoping I’m not just reposting stuff that has been done 10 times before. I’ll start off with some nice sayings I know from Glenn, like “People don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time” and "I'm from Detroit - where mother is half a word". Then there’s Joe. “I can't complain, but sometimes I still do” comes to mind from Life’s Been Good, which could have been a quote by itself, but I would choose “If you just act like you know what you're doing, everybody thinks that you do”. It’s once again from a song but it’s so typical Joe. I also like the one in my signature, but I would rather call that random nonsense. I think you can tell now who’s my favorite Eagle… Yep, that’s right… Don Henley! But Joe comes second. Anyway, the line in Don’s My Thanksgiving sounds like a good one as well: “Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge”. But that’s pretty much it. I don’t even know for sure if anybody can come up with memorable Randy and Bernie quotes… I hope so!

thelastresort
06-23-2016, 11:35 AM
I've no idea if he's ever said it prolifically, but I enjoyed Joe's 'If I'd known I'd have to play this the rest of my life I would have written something else' before RMW at his Crossroads 2004 appearance.

Henley had a blinding quote about life in the Billy Joel interview he did recently, but for the life of me I can't remember what he said.

Eagles7
06-23-2016, 03:29 PM
From their musical quotes, I've always loved " you can see the stars and still not see the light, " and "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key." From Already Gone

NightMistBlue
06-23-2016, 04:44 PM
That "probably can't find a Bernie or Randy quote" sounded a bit like a challenge so here we go.

I like this pithy Randy quote for its honesty - he was talking to an Associated Press reporter about the disappointing sales of his first solo album, which caused him to be unceremoniously dropped by his label:
"I probably had a lot of fans, but not as many as I probably needed."
Source: The Eagle Who Flew the Nest, 12/5/1980

Just kind of sums it up, doesn't he? No beating about the bush.

Here is Bernie in a letter to music industry pundit Bob Lefsetz, January 2016:

One thing I learned over the years about a songwriter expressing very personal feelings, is that it turns out that since all humans feel essentially the same feelings, but that most folks don't know how to express them, that when a songwriter talks about something very personal, it turns out to have universal appeal, because everyone can say "yeah! That's how I feel! He understands me like no one else!" So in a very counterintuitive way, it’s not the large general statement which has universal appeal, but rather the most intimate and personal which does.

LuvTim
06-23-2016, 05:09 PM
That "probably can't find a Bernie or Randy quote" sounded a bit like a challenge so here we go.

I like this pithy Randy quote for its honesty - he was talking to an Associated Press reporter about the disappointing sales of his first solo album, which caused him to be unceremoniously dropped by his label:
"I probably had a lot of fans, but not as many as I probably needed."
Source: The Eagle Who Flew the Nest, 12/5/1980

Just kind of sums it up, doesn't he? No beating about the bush.

Here is Bernie in a letter to music industry pundit Bob Lefsetz, January 2016:

One thing I learned over the years about a songwriter expressing very personal feelings, is that it turns out that since all humans feel essentially the same feelings, but that most folks don't know how to express them, that when a songwriter talks about something very personal, it turns out to have universal appeal, because everyone can say "yeah! That's how I feel! He understands me like no one else!" So in a very counterintuitive way, it’s not the large general statement which has universal appeal, but rather the most intimate and personal which does.

NMB, your quote from Bernie echoes the same sentiment about the personal nature of writing lyrics, which is expressed by Timothy B. Schmit in this quote, "When you're songwriting, it's like talking about your own life experience."

Funk 50
06-24-2016, 05:26 AM
One of my favourite quotes was actually a conversation as they were waiting around in a lobby somewhere.

Glenn - (reading a magazine article) "Hey Joe, it says here that humans only ever use about 75% of their total brain capacity"

Joe - "Wow! so what do they do with the other 3rd?" :rofl: :rofl:

or something like that..

Philh
06-24-2016, 06:28 AM
My favourite quote from Don is about Irving.
Don once said "He may be Satan but at least he's our Satan".

I love listening to Don's interviews as he is very eloquent and always is
very interesting.

NightMistBlue
06-24-2016, 09:31 AM
That Joe, what a joker. I loved his quip - jotted down by a Rolling Stone scribe when the Eagles were on tour, "Toronto's my lucky city. I met a girl there once that I didn't get the clap from."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-eagles-hell-is-for-heroes-19791129#ixzz4CVFyazPu

UndertheWire
06-24-2016, 10:08 AM
I love

Besides, we can't be roguish underdogs anymore." Frey grins and flips a cigarette into his mouth. "We have to be gracious winners."

[/URL][URL="http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/chips-off-the-old-buffalo-perched-on-the-million-dollar-border-between-boredom-and-laidbackness-the-eagles-perceive-a-hardening-of-the-artistry-and-the-industry-19750925#ixzz4CVP2sufG"]source (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/chips-off-the-old-buffalo-perched-on-the-million-dollar-border-between-boredom-and-laidbackness-the-eagles-perceive-a-hardening-of-the-artistry-and-the-industry-19750925#ixzz4CVP2sufG)

DivineDon
06-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Don of course, "I'm not the man I was and I'm not the man I'm going to be."

....and again, "the hole is just as important as the donut!" :)

LOVE HIM!!!!

....and my favourite lyrics, "there's three sides to every story, babe: there's yours and there's mine and the cold hard truth".

I also like Bernie's quip from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, "I always wanted to be indicted", and you can hear Glenn shouting, "inducted!!!"
Save

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-26-2016, 09:02 AM
One of my favourite quotes was actually a conversation as they were waiting around in a lobby somewhere.

Glenn - (reading a magazine article) "Hey Joe, it says here that humans only ever use about 75% of their total brain capacity"

Joe - "Wow! so what do they do with the other 3rd?" :rofl: :rofl:

or something like that..

This is just awesome. :rofl: And I'm not only talking about the smiley

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-26-2016, 09:06 AM
I've no idea if he's ever said it prolifically, but I enjoyed Joe's 'If I'd known I'd have to play this the rest of my life I would have written something else' before RMW at his Crossroads 2004 appearance.

Henley had a blinding quote about life in the Billy Joel interview he did recently, but for the life of me I can't remember what he said.

I recall him saying something about how life was difficult back then when he was young, yet it was simpler and happier than nowadays. I forgot the actual way he said it, but I think we are referring to the same thing. I have watched the whole interview some time ago (the most fun way to not be productive at all and waste a full day away). I guess it’s the price we all have to pay for being in an Eagly mood every now and then.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Well let's see - here a couple that come to my mind at first thought ...

Joe says one of the scariest (or worst?) things that ever happened to him was that Keith Moon decided he liked him. :grin:

And one of my favorite Henley lyrics that must have quoted a hundred times on this board: "There's three sides to every story; there's yours and there's mine and the cold, hard truth".

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-28-2016, 02:54 PM
And I shouldn’t forget Glenn commenting on Joe joining the band: That's another adventure, because Joe was an interesting bunch of guys. :smile:

I believe it’s from the documentary.

UndertheWire
07-11-2016, 10:30 AM
"Any rock & roll band is like a kindergarten class." Timothy.

bluefeather
07-11-2016, 03:36 PM
"Any rock & roll band is like a kindergarten class." Timothy.

:hilarious: where did you find that?

UndertheWire
07-11-2016, 03:42 PM
:hilarious: where did you find that?
An interview as part of the VH! Eagles Family Tree.

07-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Yep - I like that one. Another one of my favorite Timothy quotes is when he is actually quoting Don in the HFO DVD. He talks about him calling Don when he learned of the possible Eagles resumption. When he excitedly asked Don if it was true, Don replied that it was looking real good and then he asked Tim. "Are you puking?"

LovinGlennGirl
07-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Joe, when asked about the Frey/Henley vs Felder stuff..."sometimes nobody's wrong...there I did the best I could with that."

shunlvswx
07-13-2016, 12:17 PM
Yep - I like that one. Another one of my favorite Timothy quotes is when he is actually quoting Don in the HFO DVD. He talks about him calling Don when he learned of the possible Eagles resumption. When he excitedly asked Don if it was true, Don replied that it was looking real good and then he asked Tim. "Are you puking?"

That is my favorite line. I know on facebook, we use that line when we get good news or somebody is seeing a show or meeting one of the guys.

Only Eagles fans know what that means. Anybody else thinks we are crazy and actually puking. lol

shunlvswx
07-13-2016, 12:24 PM
When an interviewer asked the guys about their wild days in the 70s, I always loved the answer Glenn give them. (Paraphrasing the quote) "We weren't bad as the Rolling Stones, but we weren't the Osmonds. We were somewhere in between" or something like. I don't know the correct quote.

The Osmonds are my other favorite group I loved for so many years before the Eagles took that spot(I'm still a huge fan of their music, but I put my energy in the Eagles). Its nice to know that Glenn knew about the Osmonds since they were around during the time the guys were making it bad. Everybody who listen to the Osmonds in the 70s(and even today), they always say they were a squeaky clean group who didn't do drugs or alcohol. So I guess he was saying they weren't angels like the Osmonds. I did bring that up to one of the Osmonds last year when I saw them in Missouri.

gball423
07-17-2016, 01:38 AM
My favorite quote is from Henley. He said "there is a fine line between the American dream and the American nightmare."

travlnman2
07-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Glenn.

"The best of times ranked in the 95 percentile and the worst of time ranked in the very small percentile that obviously everyone but the seven of us have dwelt on for a long long time."

NightMistBlue
08-04-2016, 12:16 PM
And I shouldn’t forget Glenn commenting on Joe joining the band: That's another adventure, because Joe was an interesting bunch of guys. :smile:

I believe it’s from the documentary.

Other folks on this forum recalled that's how guitarist Danny Kortchmar described James Taylor. Apparently the reference is even older! Jazz musician Zoot Sims described legendary saxophonist Stan Getz as "a nice bunch of guys" as a consequence of his erratic behavior (i.e., he could be a dick, among other things).

Anyway, it's a great line. I'd steal it too.

08-07-2016, 12:27 PM
I really love this thread!

One of my favorite sayings of Joe's goes something like this ... 'If I had known I'd still be singing this song after all this time when I wrote it, I would have written something else'. :grin:

MaryCalifornia
09-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Here's a new one from Timothy, in his Good Day interview in Sacramento for his Walk of Stars honor. It regards fan attention, and he says he's lucky because he's not like Mick Jagger or Paul McCartney, who can't go anywhere. He says he gets a little here and there, "Just enough to feed my ego, not enough to bug me."

Love it.

Scarlet Sun
09-01-2016, 02:17 PM
From my previous post in the "Favorite Bernie sayings or moments" in the Bernie thread:

"You don't just leave him at the side of the road, half-burnt. That's not very cool."

"People have been killed in sight of the stage while the Stones were playing 'Sympathy for the Devil,' and everybody went 'this is a little not O.K.'"

NightMistBlue
09-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Master of understatement, isn't he? :) The first quote must be in reference to Gram.

Scarlet Sun
09-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Master of understatement, isn't he? :) The first quote must be in reference to Gram.

Yeah. He really has that sort of Cali really-trying-hard-not-to-be-negative thing going on

DJ
09-01-2016, 03:43 PM
My favorite from Glenn:

Except for a few guitar chords, everything I've learned in my life that is of any value I've learned from women.

Eagles7
09-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Glenn.

"The best of times ranked in the 95 percentile and the worst of time ranked in the very small percentile that obviously everyone but the seven of us have dwelt on for a long long time."

I like Glenn referencing the 7 of them...although I think this was said at the HOF induction.. Still sounds nice though.

Eagles7
09-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Joe, when asked about the Frey/Henley vs Felder stuff..."sometimes nobody's wrong...there I did the best I could with that."

Love that. I also heard him say he tried to stay out of it because it didn't involve him.

NightMistBlue
09-02-2016, 12:06 PM
I like Glenn referencing the 7 of them...although I think this was said at the HOF induction.. Still sounds nice though.

And now your username becomes clear :) Actually, more alert Forum members probably got it immediately, but I hadn't.

You may like this photo that I took last year in Lucy's El Adobe restaurant; it's from the HOF ceremony. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/LucysElAdobe_zpsw8mebjuc.jpg

Delilah
09-02-2016, 02:30 PM
That's a great picture, thanks for posting. I guess Joe signed it as it looks like his handwriting. Bernie is the only one wearing short sleeves. I seem to recall another picture where he's wearing shorts and everyone else is dressed for cold weather.

09-03-2016, 01:55 PM
One of my favorite from Bernie as he was reflecting on the early band in the HotE film ...

"I think everybody in the Eagles did the level best we could. You have to remember how young we were, the fact that nobody had anything when we started."

Eagles7
09-04-2016, 11:55 PM
And now your username becomes clear :) Actually, more alert Forum members probably got it immediately, but I hadn't.

You may like this photo that I took last year in Lucy's El Adobe restaurant; it's from the HOF ceremony.

NightMistBlue - yes, you're right about my name. I always have felt that the Eagles would never have been the Eagles as we know them without the contributions of all seven. I have two favorite lineups, but everyone played their part.

Also, I have seven children, so 7 has always been my lucky number.

Thank you so much for posting that picture. Maybe they all went out to eat together after the show. It's just nice to see them all together the night of the show, and a little sad to think that was the only time it happened...or would ever happen. I almost felt a little misty when I first saw it. It's quite a treasure! Thanks again.

travlnman2
09-05-2016, 12:01 AM
I would loved to have been in that room. I don't know I was always hoping that we would see the seven of them together again but now it will never happen again and I am great full we have it on tape forever.

Jonny Come Lately
09-05-2016, 04:40 PM
I was reading through the 1975 Rolling Stone interview and remembered this quote from Glenn that I always liked. I especially like the 'no one ever went broke...' line.

Mass appeal is definitely suspect. Just look at our Grammy winners, Stevie Wonder excluded. Sometimes all that mass appeal means is that you simplified your equation down to the lowest common denominator. It’s a great temptation to think, ‘Well, f*** it, they’ll buy this. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the mass public.'

NightMistBlue
09-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Glenn was quoting H.L. Mencken there, Jonny. Way before your time - mine too, even.

FWIW
09-06-2016, 12:23 AM
I like Glenn's quote from Crawdaddy! magazine back in 1974:

“I’ve always felt there’s nowhere to go but down once you’ve reached the top, so I want to take just the right amount of time getting there.”

Delilah
09-16-2016, 10:14 PM
I just started reading "To the Limit" by Marc Eliot and here are some quotes so far:

Bernie - "Do you want us or don't you?"

Randy - regarding the early woodshedding days in Colorado- ""We'd do four, sometimes five sets every night, and there were times when no one was in the house except maybe a bartender and a waitress or two, and a couple of hungry chicks. It was wild, kind of like what I imagine the Beatles went through in Germany."

Don H - "We didn't go in for glitter or glam rock. We didn't wear gorilla suits or aqua lungs. Ultimately, the music by itself survived and established the band's image."

Glenn - "We're the Oakland A's of rock and roll. On the field we can't be beat. But in the clubhouse, well, there's another story."

09-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Here's one of my favorites Henley lyrics ...

"You keep carrying that anger, It'll eat you up inside ..."

So true and just so happens that I adore the song it's from.

thelastresort
09-18-2016, 12:32 PM
I similarly love:

'It isn't knowledge, it's humility we lack'

Very true!

Motel California
09-20-2016, 01:22 PM
If you've got firecrackers here tonight, wait until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light all you got.

-Joe Walsh

maryc2130
09-21-2016, 09:38 AM
If you've got firecrackers here tonight, wait until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light all you got.

-Joe Walsh

That cracks me up every time I see it on the DVD. This is fast becoming one of my favorite threads!

Jonny Come Lately
09-24-2016, 03:43 AM
Just remembered two of my favourite Glenn quotes, both of which make me chuckle!

'Wow, a sell-out crowd! The last time I sold out was when I did that Pepsi commercial with Don Johnson!'

'How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Five. One to do it and four to go 'I can do that!'

(I actually once used this joke without explaining who had come up with it! It actually went down quite well, which probably should have been the giveaway that it wasn't mine as most of the jokes I come up with are only funny in the 'so bad, it's good' sense!)

UndertheWire
09-24-2016, 12:16 PM
More jokes:

Joe: "How many producers does it take to change a light bulb?"
Glenn: "I dunno, what do you think?"

"What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?"
"Homeless."

(I can't remember if this is Glenn or Joe)
"Bill Szymzcyk. He's rich. He should buy a vowel."

Delilah
09-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Some gems from the '73 Holland show.

Glenn: "Anyone here ever had a drink called Tequila Sunrise?" (1-2 claps) "Well, this is a song about tequila, Mexican whiskey."

Bernie: (about the record company) "It's called Asylum, and everybody in it is kind of crazy."

Randy: "This a new one from well, the new album...and it's also new."

Don H: ??
(poor Don didn't have anything to say or they wouldn't let him talk:shrug:)

10-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Here's a famous 1982 quote from Glenn about whether or not the Eagles would ever reunite ...

"Never. They say, 'Never say never.' Well, you can print it. It will never happen."

I think it's safe to say that most of us are very happy that he was so wrong about this one!

UndertheWire
10-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Proving that even Don Henley gets it wrong sometimes:

"Shit don't float"

WS82Classics
10-10-2016, 10:36 PM
Glenn: "Perfectionism is not an accident."

10-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Here another one of my favorite Glenn lyrics ...

'Be part of something good, leave something good behind.'

Well - he sure did live up to these words many times over!

UndertheWire
11-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Glenn in 1986:
“So if you hear about an Eagles reunion — you can bet your life that I've got income tax problems.”

AlreadyGone95
11-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Glenn in 1986:
“So if you hear about an Eagles reunion — you can bet your life that I've got income tax problems.”

:rofl::rofl:, so that's the reason they reunited!

Jonny Come Lately
11-20-2016, 05:43 PM
For Joe's birthday I remembered one of my favourite quotes from him:

''You know, there’s a philosopher who says, “As you live your life, it appears to be anarchy and chaos, and random events, non-related events, smashing into each other and causing this situation or that situation, and then, this happens, and it’s overwhelming, and it just looks like what in the world is going on ? And later, when you look back at it, it looks like a finely crafted novel. But at the time, it don’t.''

I think this is very, very true!

buffyfan145
11-20-2016, 06:09 PM
I love that quote!!! :D I totally agree with that too especially being an author myself. Thanks for posting that JCL.

UndertheWire
11-21-2016, 02:09 PM
I don't think I'd class this as a favourite but it's certainly interesting. It's Bob Seger quoting Glenn in Rolling Stone's Oral history:
"Your career is a harsh mistress."

I'm quite surprised that it came from Glenn. I can see how it must have been hard for Randy and Don Felder to combine their career with having a family but Glenn generally gave the impression of loving the musician lifestyle.

The Silk Scarf Monkey
12-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Glenn in 1986:
:rofl: That's great, but I also like this quote about the same matter, where Glenn's opinion seems 100% changed!
“If the Eagles were to get back together, it would have to be for the right reasons. I think it would look awful if it were just for the money.”
Sounds very good to me as well.

Other folks on this forum recalled that's how guitarist Danny Kortchmar described James Taylor. Apparently the reference is even older! Jazz musician Zoot Sims described legendary saxophonist Stan Getz as "a nice bunch of guys" as a consequence of his erratic behavior (i.e., he could be a dick, among other things).

Anyway, it's a great line. I'd steal it too.
Exactly :nod:. I didn't know about that, thanks. I'm not too shocked that it wasn't from Glenn originally as there have been so many people around and they all have to say something. That's why I like this quote from Glenn:
“I think it would be nice to sell 15 million albums as a solo artist. I'd have to deal with all the repercussions of that, but that wouldn't be too bad.”
It sounds genuinely like his type of humor and I just like that. Glenn had so many great quotes, I realise.

Thanks for posting all these great sayings, it's been a pleasure to read through all of them.

zeldabjr
12-08-2016, 11:43 PM
Glenn in 1986:

Did he really say this? LOL...that's a great one!! :hilarious:

NightMistBlue
02-16-2017, 11:48 AM
I don't think I'd class this as a favourite but it's certainly interesting. It's Bob Seger quoting Glenn in Rolling Stone's Oral history:
"Your career is a harsh mistress."

I'm quite surprised that it came from Glenn. I can see how it must have been hard for Randy and Don Felder to combine their career with having a family but Glenn generally gave the impression of loving the musician lifestyle.

I think that comes from an older source as well. I remember an interviewer in the 1980s asking J. Geils singer Peter Wolf how he balances his dual vocations in music and art (he's a painter), and he responded, "Art is a harsh mistress." He was quoting someone else, and numerous people (including Patti Smith) have borrowed it.

Then there's the 1966 Robert Heinlein book, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"; I'm sure that must figure into it somehow, and a Jimmy Webb song of the same title, covered by Linda Ronstadt. There is nothing new under the sun!