PDA

View Full Version : 30 and Under - why are you an Eagles fan?

Jeremy Lawrence
06-27-2016, 07:40 AM
I assume most of us are like me, around 50 yo and the Eagles were our first love when we started listening to music in mid 70's.

But those of you 30 and under, how/why/when did you become a fan?

(Hopefully someone -30 will reply)

AlreadyGone95
06-27-2016, 08:20 AM
I'll turn 21 in September.

My parents and one of my uncles got me into rock music (particularly classic rock) at a young age. I've been a casual fan of the Eagles since I was 7 or 8 years old. My mom is the one who's a fan of the Eagles. I didn't know anything about the band; I just liked their hits. I knew of Don Henley and I vaguely knew Glenn. I did know that both had solo careers in the 80s.

It wasn't until about 14 months ago that that changed. My uncle showed me Don Henley's Boys of Summer video, and for nearly a week, that song was stuck in my head. I had bought the Eagles Live album on vinyl. At the end of that week, I was fooling around with it, and a poster fell out. It landed with Glenn's face staring up at me. I noticed how handsome he looked. I remembered that Glenn did the song Smuggler's Blues, and watched the video of it on YouTube.
That was all it took. I googled Glenn and over the course of the next month, became a huge fan of the band and Glenn's.

Jeremy Lawrence
06-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Good stuff AG95,

I'm in the "all the good music has already been written" crowd and I find it fascinating when a young person is attracted to older music.

My nephew (25) knows more about the classics than I do.

-jl

OntheBorder74
06-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Im 25, was 21 when I really got into them. Just loved the serious ballads like ol 55, hollywood waltz and attig and those country rock vocals. Also enjoyed the breezier stuff like GDIH and Take it easy pretty much soundtrack to my UNi life and 20s just love their vocals and melodies say over the guitars. Musically I prefer Zeppellin but the Eagles I loved the lead vocals they all had different personalities that worked and yet the group harmonies work so well too.

Just their whole package and the themes of their songs seem to line up with my life so well at this point in time. I also just aesthetically like country rock and ballads!

Jeremy Lawrence
06-27-2016, 08:56 AM
Thanks, that is helpful. I'm "kind of" doing research for my 2nd book in the Eagles series and part of it explains how my heroine became an Eagles fan. She's your folks age, mid-twenties.

-jl

buffyfan145
06-27-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm turning 30 in August and for me it was because my parents and most of my aunts and uncles are huge Eagles fans. I've known their music since I was born but possibly before that as my Mom would let me listen to the radio via her headphones on her stomach when she was pregnant with me. LOL I knew Glenn and Don too from their solo careers and my Dad was a huge fan of Joe Walsh before he was in the Eagles too. What really got me was when Hell Freezes Over happened and they reunited when I was 8 that I became a fan in my own right. I got to see them perform on TV and I just loved it. Glenn around then also became my favorite too (he already was my Mom's) and there was just something about his voice and smile. I just wanted to know more about them and was glad we finally got a computer and I could start researching them myself. Around 11/12 is when I finally started creating stories based off music and some of my early ideas were set to Eagles songs, which is why I finally went back to those and got my idea for my 5th novel I'm working on.

I've loved them ever since. But I'm also a fan of Classic Rock in general as well as older country. I do listen to almost any genre though and still do listen to some current artists (mostly country and alternative rock), but I always prefer 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s music.

travlnman2
06-27-2016, 11:24 AM
I am 17 turning 18 in November and I have the same birthday as Joe, November 20th. I am a Guitar Player,Bass player and also Piano. My mother introuced to to the Beatles at e age of 5 through the Concert For George(It will always be my favorite concert) Through that I merged into Lynyrd Skynyrd,Aerosmith,Guns N Roses(especially Chinese Democracy it is a criminally underated album). As for the Eagles my mother kept pressuring me to watch Farwell 1 on DVD, which as a young child I remember scenes from the Helment cam but when I watch it now it seems like a completely different band. I never listened to the Eagles until I decided to listen to the Greatest Hits 1 and on Spotify. The doc is what turned me into a Hardcore fan. But Glenn just came onto to me as a complete asshole to be lightly. I joined the border looking to read more into the lawsuit but It still seems weird watching the 4 guys in F1 knowing what was going on at the time. It's why I prefer the 70s material to LROOE. That and it is not on Spotify. The board made me understand more why Glenn and Don did what they did as it was in the best interest of the band. Finally one of my friends is the Stepson of one of Bernies sisters and got to meet him twice. I am sad they will no longer be around but the Music and VIDS will always be here so I am great fun for that. Also I am looking to go to school for Audio Production after I graduate High School next year(will be a senior this fall) so I love reading how they recorded and produced. The border has changed my opinion on Glenn and I appreciate it.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
06-27-2016, 01:30 PM
I'm 17 and I became a huge Eagles fan when my mom showed me History of the Eagles. After watching that, I immediately fell in love with the Eagles and I became Eagles crazy. Before History of the Eagles, my mom had got me listening to some main rock n roll bands like Queen and Van Halen but the Eagles were the icing on the cake. Now all I listen to is classic rock and I listen to the Eagles ALL THE TIME.

RudieCantFail
06-28-2016, 03:48 AM
18 y.o. and I got into the Eagles much more after Frey's passing. My dad had "Smuggler's Blues" on his iPod, like 8-10 years ago, and I didn't think much of it at the time. Then, "Heartache Tonight" came on the radio several months ago, and the Eagles still didn't catch on with me yet. After Frey's passing, I started to listen to more of the Eagles' music and got "The Very Best of" from the public library. That pretty much gave me a great sample of their stuff and I started to listen to their albums. The Long Run is my favorite album b/c of the titular song, "In the City," "Heartache Tonight," and "King of Hollywood." I prefer the later half of their discography from the 70s, but there are a few songs from the 1st 3 albums I like, such as "Take It Easy," "Witchy Woman," "James Dean," "Already Gone," and "On the Border." I'm not a big fan of Desperado. I also prefer Don's solo work from the 80s over Glenn's, but Glenn does have some songs that I like. I actually started with Glenn and then went to Don. I like a few of Joe Walsh's songs, and I love the reggae bass sound for "Life's Been Good."

Generally, I don't like today's music because I can't stand tenor or auto-tuned voices from male singers that are played on the radio as well as over processed sounds or lack of real instruments. The only more modern band that I like is Matchbox Twenty until they released North in 2013. Then, I migrated to The Clash after I heard their version of "I Fought the Law" and hence, my username. I got into punk from the 70s and the 80s, and now, I'm into the Eagles. I don't care that the Eagles are pretty much the opposite of The Clash in terms of style - Punk vs. more mainstream music. I only care about whether or not it sounds good. I don't care about any political messages in songs.

Jeremy Lawrence
06-28-2016, 07:54 AM
No mention of "Hotel California" from the youngsters... interesting.
-jl

buffyfan145
06-28-2016, 10:44 AM
I knew of "Hotel California" the song as a kid and of course me loving science-fiction I used to relate the song a lot with my sci-fi TV shows and movies I liked like my user name "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", especially since that took place in California and they lived on top of the gateway the Hell. LOL :lol: But I always knew that song and the iconic guitar duel of Joe and Felder. For me though I tended to like their earlier songs and especially the songs Glenn sang lead on. As a kid my parents only had both Greatest Hits albums on CD (as well as the Common Thread country cover album) so I only knew those and whatever our Classic Rock radio stations played. I wasn't familiar with the songs that didn't appear on those Greatest Hits albums till I was almost an adult and the Internet and iTunes came along and discovered so much more. Now the "Hotel California" album is my fav Eagles album.

sodascouts
06-30-2016, 11:34 AM
-jl

I'm over 30, but I wasn't born when the Eagles started in 1972. Thus, "Hotel California" is just another Eagles song to me, not a cultural icon like it is for so many who grew up when it was huge. I enjoy it as a high quality song, but it's not even in my top 20 Eagles songs overall. I suspect that those even younger than I am might experience the same phenomenon - the lack of cultural emphasis means it doesn't have the kind of significance to them that it does to older fans. This isn't a universal opinion, obviously, just an observation.

Funk 50
06-30-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm in my early fifties. The idea of being a fan of a band from my parents generation was incomprehensible to me, and until Joe joined them, I did generally consider the Eagles as music for my parents.

I don't think any Eagles songs reached iconic status until the eighties and nineties, classic rock radio stations, played them in heavy rotation. I'd say that was true, in the UK, for the catalogs of many 60s and 70s pop/rock stars. So many also got a huge boost when their records were reborn as CDs.

I guess it was the internet that killed off the musical generation gap.

Jeremy Lawrence
06-30-2016, 01:52 PM
Funk50, I felt the same until my dad played Buddy Holly.

Glennhoney
06-30-2016, 05:00 PM
I am in my 50's (early..lol)..I definately grew up to the Eagles' music...Our local rock band, to whom we danced to every saturday night played all the Eagles' songs ...that band was/is called the Phantoms and they are celebrating their 50th anniversary this summer with a 3 day weekend concert/dance....It will be amazing to see all my former classmates...bittersweet as well...:rockguitar:

AlreadyGone95
06-30-2016, 05:09 PM
-jl

Hotel California (the song) was implied when I said that I knew and liked their hits. I've enjoyed since I was little, although I used to dislike when the vocals ended and the guitar solo began HC is in my top 10 Eagles songs, but since I've known it all of my life, it's not that important to my being a huge fan, and not just a casual one.

Unlike most fans my age. I didn't discover HOTE until after I became a hardcore fan.

eagles557
06-30-2016, 11:33 PM
Great stories! I am 25 years old and live in Idaho. My parents loved the Eagles in the 1970's and the HFO album was released when I was a young kid. I distinctly remember my parents driving me to sports games with HFO playing on a cassette tape in the car. Take It Easy became "the baseball song". I grew up listening to them and found myself being comforted by listening to their music when I was stressed. Their music brought me back to simpler times as a kid. My parents took my younger brother and I to see them when I was 10 and that was such a treat.
Last year the Eagles made a stop in Boise, 2 hours away from where I live. I went and it was the best concert I've ever been to. I was so glad I got to fully appreciate the Eagles in concert, especially after what happened in January.
I decided to see Don Henley in concert this summer on July 20th in Woodinville, Washington. I am very excited as Don is my favorite Eagle and thrilled that he has included The Last Resort in his setlist as that one has always been my favorite Eagles song. My mom and I are going together so it will be a fun mother-daughter trip. :)

WalshFan88
07-01-2016, 12:22 AM
27 here.

I'm a fan because I was in a depressed state and someone said to listen to music and play guitar and HC was one of the first records I stumbled on that lit the fire. I then became a fan of other bands. I like them because of their music and their guitar sound and their later guitar team. To me they are known for their guitar sound and style too, as much as important to me as their classic harmonies.