PDA

View Full Version : Border Gathering in January: Celebration of the Eagles and Tribute to Glenn

sodascouts
07-17-2016, 10:39 PM
As most of you know, January 18, 2017 will mark the one year anniversary of Glenn's death. For some time now, I've been thinking that I'd like to organize a get-together in Los Angeles on the weekend prior as both a celebration of the Eagles and a tribute to him and the band.

I haven't really cemented any plans yet, because I don't know how much interest there will be. I was thinking I would have the get-together on Saturday evening, January 14. Maybe during the day we could see some Eagles-related sights around LA (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6560) and take a day trip to Joshua Tree on Sunday.

It's not something you would pay me to do or anything. The get-together isn't something you buy a ticket for. As for the sightseeing, you could do as much or as little as you like.

Is there any interest? Reply or PM me if you want to come.

NightMistBlue
07-17-2016, 11:32 PM
That sounds really cool and fun, Soda. I hope I can go. It would be nice to experience these places with folks who understand and have the same feelings for the band.
Have you been to Lucy's el Adobe?

Houston Baby
07-18-2016, 02:47 AM
I can answer that NMB - it is a yes. When Soda, Dreamer & I went in May we had lunch there. The food was not very good, but it was cool to see the many photos of the guys and other singers & actors. It was not crowded and our waitress was nice enough to allow us behind the cash register so we could see up close the Hall of Fame photo of the guys. She even took our photo with it. The back of the restaurant has an artist's entrance.

NightMistBlue
07-18-2016, 03:08 PM
I couldn't believe the didn't have any beer on draft. I don't imagine the Artists Entrance sees much action these days.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
07-18-2016, 04:15 PM
I would love to go!!!! I don't know if I would actually be able to go to LA though.

AlreadyGone95
07-18-2016, 04:34 PM
I seriously doubt that I could go, unless I won the lottery, lol, but I think that it's a good idea for those who can go.

shunlvswx
07-18-2016, 04:46 PM
If I had the money I would go. I haven't been to California since 2000 and I need to go back out there again.

Plus I'm trying to save to see Don in Houston that same week. So that's the other reason I can't go. I'm still hoping more dates will be posted for next year before I pay for my Houston ticket.

Its probably going to be an emotional show for Don knowing Glenn's one year anniversary of his death is only 3 days before the Houston show.

For those who are going, have fun. I know its going to be fun and emotional journey. This is a great idea, ladies.

buffyfan145
07-18-2016, 08:31 PM
I love this idea and so wish I could go. One day I will get out to California but got to have the money first and get over my plane phobia.

GlennLover
07-18-2016, 09:45 PM
It is a wonderful idea, Soda - LA & a tour of Eagles'- related sites is a fitting way of making the one year anniversary of Glenn's passing. I would love to go, but unfortunately I'm another one who wouldn't be able to. I hope to get to California someday though.

WS82Classics
07-18-2016, 09:55 PM
This sounds like a fun idea. Put me in the 'maybe' camp, though, as I might be getting situated into a new College setting around that time. That this is prospectively on a weekend as opposed to a weekday makes it a little bit easier for me to transport in a timely way across the states.

I'll get back to you on this around November/December, when I have a clearer idea of my own personal schedule.

WalshFan88
07-18-2016, 10:29 PM
I love this idea and so wish I could go. One day I will get out to California but got to have the money first and get over my plane phobia.

I hear you on the plane phobia...I used to LOVE flying until two things happened. 1. 9/11 and 2. A pilot saying over the speakers on our plane "Due to weather conditions we cannot land in Chicago, and we cannot keep circling as we are running LOW ON FUEL.....we will go to Detroit to refuel and then go back to Chicago. I NEVER want to hear the words of a pilot saying we are running low on fuel...especially since it wasn't a dire situation. But with my anxiety it about did me in. I was bawling on the plane. Luckily family was with me.

Nowadays I take 2 Klonopin about an hour before the plane is scheduled to leave and I sleep through the flight comfortably. I tried flying after that fuel incident without anything and I was a mess, again.

Not saying drugs are always the answer but it's made me able to fly. I certainly couldn't without it.

WalshFan88
07-18-2016, 10:30 PM
I would love to go to this Soda but unfortunately I can't right now.

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2016, 03:18 AM
I would definitely hope to go. My main issue would be minimising the amount of time I have to take off work but even if I'm only really there for the Saturday I'm determined to be a part of this.

Brooke
07-19-2016, 10:09 AM
I would absolutely LOVE to do this! Must check my work schedule. Hubby isn't a big traveler so this would be great to do with like minded fans!

FWIW
07-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I'm definitely interested! I can't commit yet (family commitments might throw a curve ball) but I would love to meet and reminisce with like minded fans.

sodascouts
07-19-2016, 03:25 PM
NMB - sorry I didn't answer your question earlier but as HB said, we weren't big fans of the food. The history was cool, though.

I'm so excited to see interest! You might want to check out Southwest for deals if you're flying in. They have a sale on in some airports until Thursday. This will be great!

Additional note to those flying: we'll probably do Joshua Tree Sunday morning and that takes several hours, so if you want to do that, make sure your departing flight is not earlier than late afternoon Sunday. I'm leaving Monday morning myself.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-19-2016, 08:59 PM
I agree that it's great to see some interest in this trip. I hope that many Borderers will be able to join us - the more, the merrier.

Brooke
07-20-2016, 09:33 AM
So I've never been to Ca. Fly in to Lax on Friday and out on Monday?

sodascouts
07-20-2016, 09:45 AM
That's what I'm doing. I'll get there late Friday and leave early Monday.

NightMistBlue
07-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Oh how exciting, Brooke! California is awesome.

Glennsallnighter
07-20-2016, 05:33 PM
So I've never been to Ca. Fly in to Lax on Friday and out on Monday?

It will be my 3rd time in California. I would hope to fly in on Friday and out Late Sunday or early Monday. But it IS Subject to what I can scrounge off work. It would be an added bonus to meet you Brooke as we have had much interaction on the Border and FB but never got to physically meet up yet.

07-20-2016, 08:46 PM
I'll get there late Friday and leave early Monday.

That's my plan too. It will be great to meet some new Borderers, as well as meet up with some of my wonderful Border buddies again. And Brooke, I really hope you can make it so we can finally meet after 'knowing' each other here for so many years.

Brooke
07-20-2016, 10:42 PM
I would love to do this and meet all of you too! Will be checking flights tomorrow when I get some free time!

NightMistBlue
07-22-2016, 11:37 AM

You *have* to go to California so you can become a brilliant and successful casting director/screenwriter :)

I used to have plane phobia really bad. The Fearless Flying program/book by Albert Forgione helped me a lot. It uses the Progressive Muscle Relaxation technique which is very effective.

buffyfan145
07-22-2016, 04:28 PM
LOL NMB. :D That would be a dream job. I hope to one day make it out there, also because my Dad was born there when my Grandpa was stationed in the San Francisco Bay Area. I got the plane/flying phobia from him as he hasn't been back to California since they moved to Ohio when he was 6. Everyone always talk about how they like flying but I'll probably have to be medicated. LOL

shunlvswx
07-22-2016, 05:06 PM
LOL NMB. :D That would be a dream job. I hope to one day make it out there, also because my Dad was born there when my Grandpa was stationed in the San Francisco Bay Area. I got the plane/flying phobia from him as he hasn't been back to California since they moved to Ohio when he was 6. Everyone always talk about how they like flying but I'll probably have to be medicated. LOL

Knock you out like they did Mr. T to get him into a plane. lol

sodascouts
07-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Seriously - that's what my aunt does. She takes a pill and she's blissfully unaware of her time in the sky.

TequilaSunrise82
07-23-2016, 08:21 AM
This sounds like an amazing idea and a great time, unfortunately I won't be able to make it out to the west coast. I look forward to hearing all about it though :)

Brooke
08-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Ok guys, I'm officially going to this! This is my answer to hubby's bear hunting trip in September! I'm sooooooo excited! :blueblob:

Has anyone purchased their plane tickets yet? I don't want to buy mine and then find out no one else has committed!

SilverAcidRayne
08-01-2016, 12:25 PM
i would love to do this. I am definitely going to see what I can do, because i'm starting to save in October for my trip to Toronto in September of next year and so I may definitely try. this is a wonderful idea. :)

Houston Baby
08-01-2016, 11:10 PM
MY plane ticket is bought Brooke!:yay:

08-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Awesome - So excited that for everyone going. It should be a good time. :yay: :yay: :yay: Brooke, I haven't bought my plane ticket yet because I'm considering staying a few extra days. So, if anyone wants to stay later than Monday, let me know.

Brooke
08-02-2016, 01:38 PM
We stayed in a guest house in Laurel Canyon that I found on VRBO. It was very nice. I will pm you.

Would it work to stay there for the Glenn memorial in January? I must at least see Laurel Canyon!

Houston Baby
08-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately, Jeff (the owner) requires a 5 night stay and I don't think anyone besides me and maybe Dreamer will be staying that long. However Soda, Dreamer & I have been doing some planning and Laurel Canyon Country Store would be a great place to see. We are waiting to see how many people commit to the trip and what they would like to see. I will put you down as a yes for Laurel Canyon Brooke. :thumbsup:

FYI admins - Would one of you move these last 2 posts to the Border Gathering thread? Thanks!

sodascouts
08-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Ok guys, I'm officially going to this! This is my answer to hubby's bear hunting trip in September! I'm sooooooo excited! :blueblob:

Has anyone purchased their plane tickets yet? I don't want to buy mine and then find out no one else has committed!

I've got my ticket. So excited!!!

sodascouts
08-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately, Jeff (the owner) requires a 5 night stay and I don't think anyone besides me and maybe Dreamer will be staying that long. However Soda, Dreamer & I have been doing some planning and Laurel Canyon Country Store would be a great place to see. We are waiting to see how many people commit to the trip and what they would like to see. I will put you down as a yes for Laurel Canyon Brooke. :thumbsup:

FYI admins - Would one of you move these last 2 posts to the Border Gathering thread? Thanks!

Sorry it took me so long to do this - I missed the request!

WS82Classics
08-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Have given this a month's worth of consideration, and have come to the conclusion that this probably wouldn't be an optimal trip for me at this time. Large trips like this one are probably out for a while, as things are still a bit unsorted for me.

I thank Soda for presenting this opportunity to us, and I wish the very best to all who are going.

NightMistBlue
08-18-2016, 10:21 AM
I was in Los Angeles for a few days last week and finally got to a show at the famed Troubadour. For reasons unknown to me, they don't use the famous front bar anymore (except that's where the restrooms are). They kept it in darkness, which is unfortunate because there is some memorabilia on the walls that would've been nice to get a better look at. In the front right-hand corner is the Eagles section: there is a signed photo of the band (Timothy edition, Long Run era I believe) and a framed cover of the live album. That's it, as far as I could make out.

I didn't get to Dan Tana's, so that remains on the bucket list. Instead, I checked out two restaurants that Brian Wilson likes, one of which was OK and the other awful! He may be a genius composer but he's no epicure.

P.S. I visited the Country Canyon Store, but that is a Jim Morrison place to me (I've been a Doors fan for longer than some of you have been alive). It was cool to drive down Laurel Canyon Blvd at night and listen to the Eagles on the radio. I was surprised to hear a Spanish-language station play the Eagles version of Hotel California. That doesn't happen in Miami, that I'm aware of - #1, they wouldn't play a rock song and #2, they wouldn't play a song in English. I just found it interesting, that's all.

LuvTim
08-18-2016, 10:42 AM
I was in Los Angeles for a few days last week and finally got to a show at the famed Troubadour. For reasons unknown to me, they don't use the famous front bar anymore (except that's where the restrooms are). They kept it in darkness, which is unfortunate because there is some memorabilia on the walls that would've been nice to get a better look at. In the front right-hand corner is the Eagles section: there is a signed photo of the band (Timothy edition, Long Run era I believe) and a framed cover of the live album. That's it, as far as I could make out.

I didn't get to Dan Tana's, so that remains on the bucket list. Instead, I checked out two restaurants that Brian Wilson likes, one of which was OK and the other awful! He may be a genius composer but he's no epicure.

So happy you finally got to a show at the Troubadour. Nice! Who was playing?

I''m going to make it out there sometime; unfortunately, I 'm currently thinking it's not going to be in January. I do wish everyone a great trip.

NightMistBlue
08-18-2016, 10:54 AM
I went to see a country singer that I've never heard of, Craig Wayne Boyd. The turnout was very small - 25 people, tops. Yet security still made people wait outside for an hour down the street, and then line up behind barricades. I mean what the heck? I'm gettin' too old for such nonsense.

LuvTim, you're saving your pennies to see Timothy in concert. :grooving:

My (not very good) photos of the Country Canyon Store and inside the Troub.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/CountryCanyon2_zpsvcxnkvin.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/Troubadour2_zpsh3ysy8tw.jpg

sodascouts
08-20-2016, 12:50 PM
WS82, I'm sorry you can't come.

Was it blocked off and completely dark? When Dreamer, HB, and I went recently, it was somewhat dark and empty except for the bartender and a guy selling merchandise, but open. It's just that when there's a show, people hurry past the front bar to go into the backroom. It was nice for us, because we were able to order drinks and look at the memorabilia without bumping into others. I've been there on a weekend when the front bar is so packed you can't even get the bartender's attention.

If it was completely blocked off, I imagine it's just a temporary thing. I guess we'll see in January!

NightMistBlue
08-21-2016, 11:01 AM
It wasn't blocked off, but it was completely dark and no one was there. The bigger, square bar in the stage area was open. Probably because attendance was so low that night, it didn't make sense to have both bars going.
I didn't realize you'd been there, Soda. It's a neat little place.

Glennsallnighter
09-04-2016, 07:00 PM
I have found a flight combination that can get me out on Friday afternoon though I won't get to LAX till shortly after midnight. That allows me Monday to travel home. Means I should only need one day off as Friday is a 1pm finish anyway. So I'm good for the weekend. I also have some dollars saved from our holiday earlier this year

Tiffanny Twisted
09-05-2016, 10:54 AM
To all who are going ,have a blast
I can not fly due to healh issues
I will be there in spirit

09-05-2016, 01:49 PM
GA - So glad you are going to make it to LA. And Celle, I so wish you could be there too. It would be great to see you again.

We'll have to make sure we do a special toast for all of our Borderers who will be there with us in spirit. :cheers: :grouphug:

Glennsallnighter
09-05-2016, 05:29 PM
If it's anything like our trip to Detroit we will be toasting all weekend Dreamer!!

GlennLover
09-05-2016, 08:13 PM
So happy for you GA!

Brooke
09-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Ga, I'm so glad you can come! Can't wait to meet you! :yay:

Glennsallnighter
09-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Me too Gaye Lyn. It will be great to finally meet up!!

sodascouts
09-09-2016, 07:06 PM
PLS has said she's coming, too!

09-11-2016, 01:18 PM
:yay: :yay: :yay:

It will be great to see here again along with everyone else! This is gonna be a great trip!!!

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Booked my flights earlier today! Looking forward to meeting you all again.

Brooke
09-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Dreamer, I need to know if you want to leave on Tuesday or Wednesday?

sodascouts
09-12-2016, 06:33 PM
I went ahead and pinned this thread to make it easy to find.

Houston Baby
09-13-2016, 09:10 AM
With Soda's guidance, I am in the process of searching for our weekend "headquarters" for the 1st official Border Gathering SO I am really getting excited!! This is going to be so much fun!! Only 122 days to go!
If anyone needs assistance locating accommodations let me know. There is a great variety of hotels in LA.

09-13-2016, 03:10 PM
Dreamer, I need to know if you want to leave on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Brooke - I will go along with whatever you plans you want to make. It's totally up to you. I guess it depends on what you want to do and how much you want to see. There is definitely enough to do to take up both days, but if you want to scale back, we can fly out Tuesday. Send me a PM if you want to go over a list of things to do and we can work on doing that.

Brooke
09-23-2016, 02:13 PM
Woo hoo! Booked my flights! I'm so excited! :blueblob:

09-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Me too! I think everyone that has committed so far has their flights booked!

:applause::applause::applause:

Houston Baby
09-23-2016, 07:52 PM

Awesome Brooke!! I can hardly wait! :blueblob:

Glennsallnighter
09-24-2016, 06:35 AM
Brilliant. I'm so looking forward to finally meeting you after being online friends for almost 10 years!

Brooke
09-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Brilliant. I'm so looking forward to finally meeting you after being online friends for almost 10 years!

Me, too, Ga! And really, everyone going! I've only met our fearless leader in person of the ones going!

Wildthyme
09-28-2016, 10:43 AM
I know I am not on here much and I am late to the game but I would really like to join all of you on this weekend. It would be a lot of fun! I don't know if I would fly or drive since both are a possibility for me but I am going to check out my best options.

Brooke
09-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Wt, that would be great if you can! Hope it works out! The more the merrier!

Houston Baby
09-30-2016, 11:01 AM
That would be great WT! :yay:

sodascouts
09-30-2016, 11:17 PM
Great!

Glennsallnighter
10-01-2016, 01:35 PM
That's great Cami. Looking forward to meeting you at last too

10-01-2016, 01:51 PM
I know I am not on here much and I am late to the game but I would really like to join all of you on this weekend. It would be a lot of fun! I don't know if I would fly or drive since both are a possibility for me but I am going to check out my best options.

Cami - It would be great to see you again. Let us know if you decide to come. Houston Baby is researching info now and those of us who are going will, hopefully, get together within the next month or so to make plans for the trip.

Houston Baby
10-18-2016, 09:18 AM
I checked The Troubadour calendar and there will be a show on Saturday, January 14th. This would be a great opportunity to get inside and explore. The band playing is The California Honeydrops whose musical influences are "Bay Area R&B, funk, Southern soul, Delta blues and New Orleans second-line" as stated on The Troubadour website. The tickets are $16.00 in advance and $18.00 DOS.

For those who will be in LA for our gathering let us know if you would be interested in going to The Troubadour that night. We could buy our tix in advance and save a couple of $ plus we would not have to wait in line to buy tix. More importantly I would hate to run the risk of not getting a ticket because it sells out. The Troubadour is not a big venue.

NightMistBlue
10-18-2016, 09:59 AM
My two cents: It's definitely worth it to buy your tickets in advance, but they'll still make you stand in line!

That band sounds like something Glenn would've enjoyed - many of the same influences.

Houston Baby
10-18-2016, 10:14 AM
True, NMB! I forgot that when we went we were waiting in line with the people who already had tix. Looks like they would have 2 lines...:laugh:

NightMistBlue
10-18-2016, 10:31 AM
OT: Who did you see when you were there: anyone good?

I saw some country guy I'd never heard of - it was really just to check out the venue. It's a neat little place. I imagine they were playing the same music on the PA as they were back in the club's glory days: Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard.

Brooke
10-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Sounds good to me, HB! I'm up for anything!

Houston Baby
10-18-2016, 03:31 PM
NMB - When we were at The Troubadour, we saw Sawyer Fredericks a musician/singer who had just won The Voice. And I cannot remember her name but a singer who came in second place behind Sawyer opened for him.
Standing on stage playing the guitar with his long brown hair and cute boyish looks, Sawyer reminded us a lot of a young Glenn when he was starting out. He also sang a song he wrote called "Take It All".
It was a lot of fun that night but also somewhat sad with Glenn so much on our minds.

NightMistBlue
10-18-2016, 03:55 PM
He's a talented cutie pie.

Glennsallnighter
10-18-2016, 05:56 PM
If the general consensus is that we will go to this show thats fine by me. I haven't been IN the Troubadour as yet - it had just closed the time I was there with Soda and FP. When I was in LA in the summer I didn't try as we had the kids with us and they were tired (It was about 12am)
Its right beside Dan Tana's too so we could factor in a meal there and then the show?

Houston Baby
10-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Correct GA. Or the other way around as Dan Tana's is open until 1:00a.m.
If we plan to go into The Troubadour, this would probably be the only way. The first time I went they had a show that night and would not let us in because we were not "with the band". :band:

sodascouts
10-18-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm in!

Glennsallnighter
10-22-2016, 05:26 AM
Correct GA. Or the other way around as Dan Tana's is open until 1:00a.m.
If we plan to go into The Troubadour, this would probably be the only way. The first time I went they had a show that night and would not let us in because we were not "with the band". :band:

Either way works foe me. Because I will only be in LA for about 48 hours I'll be on my permanent strange time zone anyway so time will be immaterial!!

Houston Baby
10-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Rest up because it will be party time in LA & we will definitely be on the run for those 48 hours! :partytime:

10-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Well - I don't know how others feel, but I would like for all of us that are going to maybe get in chat one evening and start discussing the details of the trip to make sure we are all on the same page.

If everyone is interested in doing that, let us know and we can try to find some time that works for everyone.

Glennsallnighter
10-22-2016, 05:42 PM
As I am inevitably 4 or 5 hours ahead of everyone else week evenings wont really suit me. However I could easily be around next saturday or Sunday night as we will have an extra hour when we leave British Summer time and also its our midterm so no work the following week.

sodascouts
10-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Unfortunately, I will be at a wedding this upcoming weekend and the next weekend, going to Atlanta to see Stevie Nicks. However, after that I finally have some breathing time and can be available when you guys are.

Brooke
10-24-2016, 10:12 AM
I will try to join whenever works!

Wildthyme
10-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Well - I don't know how others feel, but I would like for all of us that are going to maybe get in chat one evening and start discussing the details of the trip to make sure we are all on the same page.

If everyone is interested in doing that, let us know and we can try to find some time that works for everyone.

Please count me in on the chat. I am planning to come. I finally got the time off approved. Very excited to see everyone!!

And whatever info has been decided regarding accommodations and getting around town would be most appreciated. I'd like to stay where everyone else is and I am in for whatever activities have been planned :)

Glennsallnighter
11-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Should we make a Facebook page for this. Or mention it on the RIP GLENN group? Just struck me I was chatting with someone who hasn't been on the border for a while with the result that she didn't know about it. Could be other Borderers in the same situation but who might like to join us even for some of the time if they were able to

Freypower
11-11-2016, 08:38 PM
I think a mention in the RIP Glenn page would work.

Glennsallnighter
11-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Good idea.

NightMistBlue
11-28-2016, 01:08 PM
I hope I'm not poking my snout where it isn't welcome, but what is the RIP Glenn group/page? Thank you.

Glennsallnighter
11-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Its on FB. If you are on FB find it and I will add you

Brooke
12-13-2016, 05:32 PM
One month from today and I, and several others, will be flying to California for the Gathering! Can. Not. Wait. :blueblob:

Praying for good weather! :pray:

sodascouts
12-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Me too. Hard to believe it's almost here!

Glennsallnighter
12-15-2016, 07:49 AM
One month from today and I, and several others, will be flying to California for the Gathering! Can. Not. Wait. :blueblob:

Praying for good weather! :pray:

me neither - This time in a month we will be there.

Now could somebody pm me where we will be staying and under whose name it is booked as I will have to update my ESTA before I fly transatlantic

Brooke
12-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Yes, we really do need to all get together in chat and discuss everything....

sodascouts
12-16-2016, 10:58 AM
I'm finally home in Texas and have some time! I'm not available this Saturday, but other evenings this week are free until Dec. 23.

secret squirrel
12-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Been out of the loop and only just noticed this. What a fantastic idea! Not sure whether I can make it but will definitely be there in spirit. So tempting.

Much love.

SS
xx
sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/

Glennsallnighter
12-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Oooh it would be great if you could make it SS

Brooke
12-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Yes, the more the merrier!

shunlvswx
12-27-2016, 11:18 AM
If I wasn't seeing Don that weekend, I might had went. It would had been cool to see the different sites. Its been 16 years since I've been to California.

sodascouts
01-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Anyone who's going... is there a good time to have a chat about the trip in our board's chatroom?

Houston Baby
01-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Just name the day and time. I am free anytime except M-F during the day and Sunday morning. Nights are free and so is this weekend. I have got to pack! :spin:
I can't believe only 9days left!

shunlvswx
01-04-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm getting excited for you guys. I know its going to be a fun emotional time.

Houston Baby
01-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Thank you shun! And I am excited for you and your upcoming Don shows! You are going to have a FANTASTIC time! So far the weather has been great here in H-town and the city is getting all dolled up for the upcoming Super Bowl. I hope everyone coming to H-town gets to see some of the city though I know that is not your top priority. :D

Houston Baby
01-04-2017, 11:57 AM
For the Borderers going to LA, I thought it would be fun if we either brought our most prized EAGLES possession OR took a photo of it and brought it. A quick snapshot on your phone would suffice.
It could be anything - an album, autograph, guitar, jacket, ticket stub, poster, photo, just whatever is near and dear to your EAGLES lovin' heart. It would be fun to see what others have collected.
And it does not have to be just 1 item. It can be as many as you like. I know I cannot pick just one.

sodascouts
01-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Nights work well for me, too, starting Thursday. The sooner we do it, the better.

Brooke
01-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Thursday night would be good for me. After 7 or 8? That's getting late for Lisa though.

shunlvswx
01-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Thank you shun! And I am excited for you and your upcoming Don shows! You are going to have a FANTASTIC time! So far the weather has been great here in H-town and the city is getting all dolled up for the upcoming Super Bowl. I hope everyone coming to H-town gets to see some of the city though I know that is not your top priority. :D

I was going to Houston that Saturday. Then I found out my friend wasn't going to be in town. So I was lucky that I found a ticket for the Austin show. So I won't be in Houston until the day of the show. Maybe I can leave Austin early Sunday and look around. I need to see something in Texas while I'm there other than a certain guy. ;-)

Glennsallnighter
01-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Thursday night would be good for me. After 7 or 8? That's getting late for Lisa though.

Thanks Brooke - I was about to post that I'm 5 hours ahead of the most easterly part of the US, but I'm used to pulling 'Allnighters' when we used to have our video chat parties. Saturday would work best for me as I am working Monday and doing some extra teaching work Saturday which means that Sunday and Friday nights will probably be impractical. But do what the majority feel - Soda can whatsapp me the next day if I miss anything very important or cant stay for the full chat. I'm just glad to be going

sodascouts
01-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Thursday at 7:00 Eastern is fine, but Saturday also works for me.

Glennsallnighter
01-04-2017, 08:11 PM
We are having visitors tomorrow evening but they have kids so they might be gone by midnight which is 7pm Eastern so that could suit me or Saturday too

Brooke
01-04-2017, 09:45 PM
I may be going to a niece's basketball game tomorrow evening, but if most of you can chat, go ahead. Someone can fill me in later.

Or we can try for Saturday.

Houston Baby
01-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Saturday works better for me too.

01-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Saturday would actually work better for me too.

sodascouts
01-05-2017, 12:12 AM
Saturday seems best at this point, then. I can be available either during the day or the evening.

Glennsallnighter
01-05-2017, 06:39 AM
Saturday should be ok for me too

Houston Baby
01-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Day or night is ok with me. What time is good for you GA?

Glennsallnighter
01-05-2017, 01:00 PM
I'll go for the 7pm time that was suggested earlier but let me know what suits everyone else. I can do my best to fall in.

sodascouts
01-05-2017, 07:12 PM
7 pm Eastern on Saturday works for me.

Houston Baby
01-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Sounds good to me! :nod:

Brooke
01-06-2017, 10:14 AM
I will try to be there!

sodascouts
01-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Everyone be sure to test the chatroom before tonight. It should work with Internet Explorer and an updated flash plug-in.

Wildthyme
01-09-2017, 12:30 AM
Have a wonderful time all. I wish I could say I was coming down but it just didn't work out. I had a couple of unplanned expenses to the tune of about $1000 plus the recent spate of bad weather that shortened our work day several times and meant I had to use up a good portion of the paid time I had saved for the trip. I truly wish I could be there but guess it was not to be....:ack:

Glennsallnighter
01-09-2017, 08:29 AM
I'm sorry Cami - it would have been lovely to have met you.

Houston Baby
01-09-2017, 10:32 AM
I am so sorry Cami. I was looking forward to meeting you. But I understand how it is when life gets in the way of our fun.:scowl: Hopefully there will be more Border gatherings in the future. Take care & stay in touch!

Brooke
01-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Cami, I'm sorry to hear this. I was also looking forward to meeting you, but I understand.

NightMistBlue
01-09-2017, 11:56 AM
I hope you all have a wonderful time, and that the weather will be sunny and clear.

sodascouts
01-09-2017, 11:20 PM
So sorry you can't make it, Cami.

East Texas Girl
01-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Have a safe trip everyone, hope y'all have a great time! This is a trip I would like to take someday.... I can't wait to hear all about it!

01-10-2017, 11:24 PM
So sorry that you won't be able to join us in LA, Cami - would've been great to see you again. Take care of you and hope things start looking up for you real soon.

Brooke
01-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Major ice storm coming through here starting sometime Friday! Ugh!

Airline has even offered me a change in flights. Ugh!

ETA: For a small fee of over $1000 if I choose to go the night before! :shock:

sodascouts
01-11-2017, 07:27 PM
What? $1000?!

Praying everything goes OK on your flights!!

Houston Baby
01-11-2017, 10:40 PM
That is ridiculous Brooke. But just in case you do change, I will already be there. I get in @ noon Thursday. I do hope it works out for you though & the weather people are wrong.

LuvTim
01-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Everyone who's going- have a safe trip. I hope you all find meaning and comfort together. :grouphug:

zeldabjr
01-12-2017, 02:06 AM
to all who are going...have a great trip!!

NightMistBlue
01-12-2017, 11:12 AM
ETA: For a small fee of over $1000 if I choose to go the night before! :shock:

That is outrageous. Is it American? Highway robbers, I'm telling ya.

Houston Baby
01-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Thank you guys! I am at the airport & the flight has been delayed an hour. :doh:

shunlvswx
01-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Thank you guys! I am at the airport & the flight has been delayed an hour. :doh:

Do you have to get on another flight or is your flight non-stop?

buffyfan145
01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Hoping a great & safe trip for all, especially those who might be effected by the storm.

Brooke
01-12-2017, 11:51 AM
That is outrageous. Is it American? Highway robbers, I'm telling ya.

Yup, American! To be fair, I could have gone a whole day ahead for $7.00, but I couldn't go that early because of work.

Thanks for the wishes everyone!

shunlvswx
01-12-2017, 11:58 AM
For the ones who live in the mid-west or have to fly into one of those airports, I pray nobody's flight is cancelled. What bad timing.

We had our winter weather last week and it was a hot mess. Thank goodness Don's concerts wasn't last week. I would had missed it.

I hope everything works out for everybody.

Houston Baby
01-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Mine's a non-stop. When will you leave H-town shun? I hope before the rains start next week.

shunlvswx
01-12-2017, 12:31 PM
I'll be leaving Houston that Monday. The rain chances has dropped a little in both Austin and Houston. So I think I'm good. It looks like it won't be a wash out. I should be gone before the rain gets heavy.

Delilah
01-12-2017, 01:58 PM
I hope everyone going to the gathering has a good time and finds comfort and solace in visiting the Eagles' landmark sites. I look forward to hearing/reading about it.

Brooke
01-12-2017, 02:30 PM
I am driving in tonight and staying over just in case it gets bad later tonight. Hope not. Don't want a delay!

Safe travels everyone! Can't wait to meet ya!

Houston Baby
01-12-2017, 06:53 PM
I am in sunny LA except it is cool, rainy & gloomy. The good news is that it is suppose to clear up tomorrow & be sunny for the weekend. However the high temps will be in the 60's so bring a jacket everyone.

sodascouts
01-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Glad you arrived safely!

Tiffanny Twisted
01-12-2017, 09:00 PM
deb
Glad you are safe
Lol
That's the unusual temps hete in philly lol

Brooke
01-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Glad you made it Deb! I am in my room in St Louis. No ice yet, hope it doesn't get here till after I've left at 8 am!

Nighty night all!

Brooke
01-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Flight delayed 2 hours. No precipitation yet. Waiting....

Glennsallnighter
01-13-2017, 11:09 AM
I've done preclearance and ready to board!! No problems so far. AND the guy who cleared me is an Eagles fan. He was well impressed when I outlined to him what we are doing.

Hope you get sorted soon Brooke

Can't wait to be with everyone again. And to meet Brooke of course.

Safe travels everyone who is still in transit!

sodascouts
01-13-2017, 07:57 PM
I'm at the Nashville airport now. Only a 15 min delay. So far, so good!

Glennsallnighter
01-13-2017, 09:02 PM
That's great Soda. Made it to NYC!!

Roey
01-13-2017, 10:57 PM
Safe travels all. What a great trip, even if bittersweet. It is nice to share the experience with those who share the same perspective and emotions. Looking forward to your thoughts. Have fun!

01-14-2017, 02:35 AM
Well - I had a rather eventful day, but I finally made it to LA and am at the hotel. After Soda and GA get here, our party will be complete. Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.

Glennsallnighter
01-14-2017, 03:33 AM
Still on the way. I'm just 2 hours outside LA now. Listening to a load of Glenn's music on my iPod

Houston Baby
01-14-2017, 01:53 PM
We are heading for Joshua Tree National. Park. It is a beautiful day here. 🌞

NightMistBlue
01-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Think of us when you're getting your feed on at Dan Tana's.
I'm so glad the weather cleared up for you! Is it known where in Joshua Tree the boys had their desert adventure? Apparently the hipsters, such as Peter Fonda and all the musicians, went tripping in one particular locale. Something to do with vibrations.

WalshFan88
01-14-2017, 08:43 PM
Have fun everyone.

FreyFollower
01-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Hope you all are having a wonderful time on your adventure! Everybody be safe and take lots of photos!

Houston Baby
01-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Thank you guys! So sorry for not keeping everyone updated but we are on the run a lot. Get back to the hotel & get to gabbing about our guys & then crash.
One exciting thing is that we got to Cap Rock in Joshua Tree yesterday and the memorial that Soda, Dreamer & I left for Glenn last May was still there. We were overjoyed. We left another more special memorial to Glenn this time. We are off to Laurel Canyon Country Store now.

GlennLover
01-16-2017, 08:27 PM
I hope you all had a lovely time & that some healing took place as well. I was with you in spirit.

sodascouts
01-16-2017, 11:24 PM
It was healing for me. I'm going to bed now, but I will share more later.

GlennLover
01-17-2017, 12:20 AM
It was healing for me. I'm going to bed now, but I will share more later.

I'm glad to hear that.

WalshFan88
01-17-2017, 01:26 AM
I'm happy for all that went. I believe times with friends reminiscing and taking in memories and things related to an event or someone passing helps, family or not. It's like those that go to Ground Zero to pay their respects. I've been there once.

I need to make a trip to LA someday. I mean I've been to Nashville, I'd love to go to the other big music capital. I've also been to NY, but IMO the music I like back then came out of LA, and the new music I like now comes out of Nashville.

I'd hit up all of the Eagles related places and sights, but I'd also love to go the Whisky, Rainbow, and a lot of the places a lot of my favorite 70s/80s rockers hung out at. I'd also go and just check out the music stuff there. I'm a Nashville guy as far as frequent trips (because of location and I love it there, now that it's not twangy C&W music lol except in the bars maybe) but I should go to LA too.

NightMistBlue
01-17-2017, 11:13 AM
It was healing for me.

I'm glad to hear that.

When you're rested up: was Cap Rock where the Eagles had their ... experience? That's surprising as it's one of the most-visited and accessible stops on the park road, or so it seemed to me when I visited in 2005.

OT: I had a strange vibe, a very agitated feeling, all the while I was in the Joshua Tree area. I couldn't wait to get out of there, and I don't know why. Bad mojo in the air. I should go back sometime and see if it feels different to me.

buffyfan145
01-17-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm so glad to hear that too. I was thinking of you all this whole weekend.

Glennsallnighter
01-17-2017, 04:42 PM
I hope you all had a lovely time & that some healing took place as well. I was with you in spirit.
Thanks GL. It certainly was cathartic to be together as a group. No one outside of his fans really understands how it's been the last year. I think too making our memorial, eating Glenn :heart:'s favourite meal in Dan Tanas, going to Jacks concert and talking to him afterwards as well as other things that we did together certainly helped ease the heartache.

sodascouts
01-17-2017, 08:47 PM
I just put some details in the "Remembering Glenn Frey" thread.

Brooke
01-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Finally checking in! I've been crazy busy since getting home last Wednesday evening! And I'm swamped at work this week! Ugh!

Anyway, I had a wonderful time! Meeting everyone, seeing all the sites we did. Our memorial for Glenn. It was just an awesome experience for me! Thank you to HB, Ga, Lissa, Soda, and especially Dreamer, who stayed an extra couple days and showed me what the rest of us didn't get to see! It was so cool to also see Jack Tempchin! You could hear the heartbreak in his voice as he sang Glenn's songs and especially the one he wrote for Glenn.

Amazing experience I will never forget! Love ya, girls!

01-25-2017, 12:08 AM
I'm busy playing 'catch up' at work too, Brooke, but the trip was worth it. It was wonderful meeting and getting to know you better and I'm so glad we were able to see so much on the trip. It was truly an Eagles experience shared with a great bunch of ladies. Thanks to all of you for a wonderful time.

Glennsallnighter
01-25-2017, 06:41 AM
Even though I just go the 2 days it was wonderful meeting all of you ladies. I definitely felt it was worth doing - I hope we get to do the same again

Houston Baby
01-13-2018, 03:39 PM
As I've been running errands this morning, I've been remembering the trip to LA last year at this time. I had an amazing time. We laughed, cried, visited old EAGLES' haunts, reminisced about all our EAGLES adventures and of course, we toasted & celebrated Glenn's life. It was such a healing trip for me.
I will always cherish those memories made with Brooke, PLS, GA, Dreamer & Soda. Love you guys!! :grouphug:

sodascouts
01-15-2018, 05:23 PM
What a wonderful time, such a precious time to me. I'm so glad we took that trip.

Brooke
01-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Yes, so much fun and I loved meeting all of you! :heart:

Facebook has been helping me reminisce, if you are my friend there, I'm posting some of the pictures. Loved every minute!

Dawn
01-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Any chance we could plan another one? I'm up for it!

sodascouts
01-20-2018, 12:06 AM
I'm open to it too!

peneumbra
01-20-2018, 06:07 AM
Well, if people from this forum are interested and willing to travel to southern California, I suppose I'd be willing to put together a tour of locations that would have significant meaning to fans and students of The Eagles.

This would include a wide variety of venues played in at significant points of Eagles history (The Troubador, The Whiskey, et. al.), places where the band hung out (Formosa Cafe, Barney's Beanery, Al's Bar, The Tiki Room, etc. etc.).

Maybe stop by Studio Instrument Rentals, maybe go over to Irving's office and get a few words from the man himself. And if enough people are interested, we could make a little pilgrimage out to Joshua Tree, where I still have a house, and talk to some of the same people who were around when Frey and Henley were passing through. And maybe you could spend some time with Evie Babbitz, who was a central figure in the Art/Music/Full Throttle scene that the Eagles got so tuned into.

If done correctly, it would take maybe a year of planning and preparing for something like this. I have no idea what kind of costs would be involved, or what people would really like to see, but I'd be willing to put some time and money and energy in this sort of project…

If others on the forum might be interested in developing a concept like this, I'd enjoy hearing from them...:cheers:

New Kid In Town
01-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Well, if people from this forum are interested and willing to travel to southern California, I suppose I'd be willing to put together a tour of locations that would have significant meaning to fans and students of The Eagles.

This would include a wide variety of venues played in at significant points of Eagles history (The Troubador, The Whiskey, et. al.), places where the band hung out (Formosa Cafe, Barney's Beanery, Al's Bar, The Tiki Room, etc. etc.).

Maybe stop by Studio Instrument Rentals, maybe go over to Irving's office and get a few words from the man himself. And if enough people are interested, we could make a little pilgrimage out to Joshua Tree, where I still have a house, and talk to some of the same people who were around when Frey and Henley were passing through. And maybe you could spend some time with Evie Babbitz, who was a central figure in the Art/Music/Full Throttle scene that the Eagles got so tuned into.

If done correctly, it would take maybe a year of planning and preparing for something like this. I have no idea what kind of costs would be involved, or what people would really like to see, but I'd be willing to put some time and money and energy in this sort of project…

If others on the forum might be interested in developing a concept like this, I'd enjoy hearing from them...:cheers:
I would love to be in on this ! Sounds awesome. TY .:cheers: