PDA

View Full Version : What is the most popular movie featuring an Eagles song?

Jeremy Lawrence
08-08-2016, 08:38 AM
I honestly can't think of any, anyone?

thelastresort
08-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Peaceful Easy Feeling appears in The Big Lebowski, leading to probably the most famous Eagles reference of all time...

thelastresort
08-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Just remembered you also have Joe Walsh's solo version of In the City at the end of The Warriors too. Not an Eagles version mind, but they did go on to make it as good as their own.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
08-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Jeremy Lawrence
08-08-2016, 10:07 AM
What song in Fast Times?

buffyfan145
08-08-2016, 10:42 AM
"Fast Times" has a lot. "Life in the Fast Lane" is playing during the prom scene by a band. Then almost all of the "Long Run" era Eagles except Glenn had songs on the soundtrack, but Cameron Crowe also said he based the Mike Damone character off of Glenn and the Mark character is Cameron similar to Russell and William's friendship in "Almost Famous" is Glenn & Cameron too.

I also know "Journey of the Sorcerer" is the theme for the movie version of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

shunlvswx
08-08-2016, 10:55 AM
I know Don has a few songs played in movies.

I think Lyin' Eyes was in Urban Cowboy. Joe had a song in Urban Cowboy too, but that's not Eagles song related.

Jeremy Lawrence
08-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Alright, so no famous movie that has an Eagles song as the primary song/soundtrack. That's about to change...they deserve their own movie.

Read this book, imagine "Already Gone" playing as the camera fades back in the last scene. What do you think?

http://smarturl.it/ey9snd

-jl

Jonny Come Lately
08-08-2016, 03:27 PM
It seems to be mostly solo tracks rather than Eagles songs which tend to be used in film soundtracks. I would suggest this is because most Eagles hits are seen as already being well known enough that they don't really need to be featured in a film soundtrack, and the lesser known songs don't come into the thinking of film directors. Having said this, the film Argo, for instance, features Led Zeppelin's When The Levee Breaks and Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, two extremely famous and acclaimed songs that didn't really need any promotion. So I guess the short answer is... I don't know why!

One that hasn't been mentioned so far, however, is Glenn's Part Of Me, Part Of You on the Thelma and Louise soundtrack.

Buffy, the original Eagles version of Journey of the Sorcerer was used on the late '70s BBC radio version of Hitchhiker's Guide. I'm personally a big fan of the book, I think my Dad loved the radio series. It was re-recorded by Joby Talbot for the more recent film. You can listen to the recording using for the film here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Zoezcq1RA). I definitely prefer the Eagles version!

Of course, all of this might have been quite different had the Eagles ever released the film version of Desperado!

Jeremy Lawrence
08-08-2016, 03:46 PM
It seems to be mostly solo tracks rather than Eagles songs which tend to be used in film soundtracks. I would suggest this is because most Eagles hits are seen as already being well known enough that they don't really need to be featured in a film soundtrack, and the lesser known songs don't come into the thinking of film directors. Having said this, the film Argo, for instance, features Led Zeppelin's When The Levee Breaks and Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, two extremely famous and acclaimed songs that didn't really need any promotion. So I guess the short answer is... I don't know why!

One that hasn't been mentioned so far, however, is Glenn's Part Of Me, Part Of You on the Thelma and Louise soundtrack.

Buffy, the original Eagles version of Journey of the Sorcerer was used on the late '70s BBC radio version of Hitchhiker's Guide. I'm personally a big fan of the book, I think my Dad loved the radio series. It was re-recorded by Joby Talbot for the more recent film. You can listen to the recording using for the film here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Zoezcq1RA). I definitely prefer the Eagles version!

Of course, all of this might have been quite different had the Eagles ever released the film version of Desperado!

A desperado film would have been awesome! I envision a "Buch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" type film.

-jl

Shadowland07
08-08-2016, 03:48 PM
"Lyin' Eyes" was in Urban Cowboy. But this thread reminded me of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNhnXQn8ckE

buffyfan145
08-08-2016, 04:28 PM
That would've been awesome if "Desperado" had been made. I forgot about Glenn writing songs for movies. LOL But obviously "The Heat is On" from "Beverly Hills Cop" would be his most famous film one.

Thinking on this more I think their songs have been more in TV shows than movies.

ETA: IMDB has their own page with all the shows & movies Eagles songs have been used so far but Glenn's page seems to have more listed. For solo songs Glenn's is on his actor page and I think the rest have soundtrack pages too.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1478123/

Freypower
08-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Glenn's Flip City was in Ghostbusters II.

UndertheWire
08-09-2016, 08:44 AM
Going by US box office, from boxofficemojo and not adjusted for inflation and credits from imdb:

Most popular movie with an Eagles song (but sung by someone else): Space Cowboys, Take It To the Limit, $90m

Most popular movie with an Eagles performance: Vertical Limit, Take It to the Limit, $69m

Most popular movie with a solo performance by an Eagle: Beverly Hills Cop, Glenn Frey, The Heat is On, $235m

Most popular movie with a song performed and co-written by a solo Eagle: Ghostbusters II, Glenn Frey, Flip City, $112m

Honorable mentions to:
Vertical Limit, Eagles, Take it to the Limit, $69m
The Color of Money, Don Henley, Who owns this place, $52m
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, written by Bernie Leadon, Journey of the Sourcerer, $51m
Urban Cowboy, Eagles, Lyin' Eyes, Joe Walsh, All Night Long, $47m
Thelma & Louise, Glenn Frey, Part of Me, Part of You, $45m
Sgt. Bilko, Glenn Frey, Party Town, $30m
To Die For, Don Henley, Dirty Laundry, $21m
The Slugger's Wife, Don Felder, Wild Life, $2m

Jeremy Lawrence
08-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Going by US box office, from boxofficemojo and not adjusted for inflation and credits from imdb:

Most popular movie with an Eagles song: Space Cowboys, Take It To the Limit, $90m

Most popular movie with a solo performance by an Eagle: Beverly Hills Cop, Glenn Frey, The Heat is On, $235m

Most popular movie with a song performed and co-written by a solo Eagle: Ghostbusters II, Glenn Frey, Flip City, $112m

Honorable mentions to:
Vertical Limit, Eagles, Take it to the Limit, $69m
The Color of Money, Don Henley, Who owns this place, $52m
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, written by Bernie Leadon, Journey of the Sourcerer, $51m
Urban Cowboy, Eagles, Lyin' Eyes, Joe Walsh, All Night Long, $47m
Thelma & Louise, Glenn Frey, Part of Me, Part of You, $45m
Sgt. Bilko, Glenn Frey, Party Town, $30m
To Die For, Don Henley, Dirty Laundry, $21m
The Slugger's Wife, Don Felder, Wild Life, $2m

Nice work, UndertheWire. Thanks.
Guess I'll have to wath Space Cowboys now. Hope it doesn't suck!
-jl

UndertheWire
08-09-2016, 11:45 AM
I'm going to have to update. Although "Take it to the Limit" appears on the Space Cowboys soundtrack, it's not performed by the Eagles. So now you have to watch Vertical Limit which is not a good movie.

Delilah
08-13-2016, 09:53 PM
(Oops, my posts keep disappearing so I'll try copying and pasting)
Not an Eagles song per se but Eagles-related: Randy's former band The Poor performed "Study in Motion #1" for the 60s film Hell's Angels on Wheels, featuring Jack Nicholson. I don't know how successful it was but I believe the movie launched Nicholson's career.

GlennLover
08-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Don't forget The Vanishing Point Longbranch Pennywhistle, I Can't Believe It. See http://www.glennfreyonline.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffaudio.htm to hear it.

Eagles7
08-14-2016, 12:33 AM
Well, there is Heavy Metal - takin' A Ride, from the movie Heavy Metal by Don Felder. I think he wrote another song in some teen movie too. I'd have to research that.

UndertheWire
08-14-2016, 12:22 PM
The Vanishing Point, $12m
Heavy Metal, $0.5m

Fast Times at Ridgemount High, everyone but Glenn, $27m

Secret Admirer, Don Felder, "She's Got a Part of Me", $18m

WinslowCorner
08-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Not an Eagles song but, "Love Rules' by Don Henley in Fast Times