PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Frey Statue Unveiled at Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow, AZ- Sept 23

sodascouts
08-13-2016, 12:43 AM
Glennsallnighter has just visited Winslow, Arizona and she discovered that for their festival next month, they are planning on unveiling a new statue of Glenn along with a tribute ceremony. The poster is below:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/SOACFestival.jpg

What a lovely idea. Can anyone make it?

buffyfan145
08-13-2016, 10:30 AM
That's awesome they are doing that!!! :D I saw a post recently on Tumblr in Glenn's tag with someone saying they were planning on having a statue made of Glenn to put with the other statue of Jackson at the Standin on the Corner Park. I'm so glad they really are!!!

Ive always been a dreamer
08-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Wow! This is so cool that they are doing this. Soda and I just got tickets yesterday to see Timothy in Nashville on 9/25. Then, we hear about this last night. When Soda first mentioned this, my initial reaction was that it would be a 5 - 10 minute unveiling ceremony that wasn't really worth going to see. But, it sounds like it's going to be more a tribute to Glenn. So now, we need to figure out if we can fly to Arizona for this event on the 23rd and then get back to Nashville for Tim's show on Sunday. Certainly doable, I hope. :pray:

BTW - love that poster!

TequilaSunrise82
08-13-2016, 05:25 PM
I love this! Will definitely add a trip to Winslow to my bucket list now.

Glennhoney
08-13-2016, 07:55 PM
..This is absolutely wonderful..

GlennLover
08-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Bob Hall, director of the Winslow Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center, says that he hasn't seen a mock up of the statue, but he believes that it will be seventies Glenn, ie long hair & mustache.

Eagles7
08-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Yes, it should definitely be 70s Glenn. Kinda funny , didn't Jackson write that line and Glenn added " there's a girl my Lord in a flatbed ford...". Doesn't matter, Glenn breathe life into those lines when he sang them!

This is probably the best tribute he could have, cause it just shows his impact and the ban's impact on American music. I bet even more people will be visiting there now!

Delilah
08-14-2016, 06:56 PM
How great for the town to do this! Now there will be a permanent visible memorial. I wonder if any of the auction items are Glenn-related.

AlreadyGone95
08-14-2016, 11:41 PM
How very cool of the city to do this for Glenn! I hope some borderers are able to go to the dedication.

thelastresort
08-15-2016, 04:24 PM
So happy they are doing something to permanently honour Glenn, and there's no better place to do it. I still think the 'Standin' on a corner' line summarises early '70s California better than anything else I've ever heard. It captures the hedonistic, youthful and carefree attitude perfectly, and it's only fitting that the statue is of that long-haired, mustached twenty-something who sang it.

I definitely need to go there now!

sodascouts
08-16-2016, 07:40 AM
This is a wonderful idea. If only I could figure out a way to go...

08-16-2016, 08:57 PM
I hope you can too. I really do want to go to this ... :pray:

Jonny Come Lately
08-17-2016, 03:26 AM
Excellent news and a fitting tribute! I'd love to go and see it. I've actually never been to America and my attempts so far to persuade my parents of the importance of a trip to Winslow, AZ as part of any American holiday we might go on have not proven very successful ('we're not going all that way to stand on a corner!'). Hopefully the new statue will help my cause but I'll probably have to go on my own some time in the future...

Houston Baby
08-17-2016, 03:35 PM
I thought about going too but when I saw that the dedication would be Friday afternoon, not Saturday I changed my mind. I have no more free vacation days. Plus the hotel that I really want to stay at in Winslow is totally booked. I think I will wait until next year when I can spend more time there.

AlreadyGone95
08-17-2016, 11:20 PM
The people who are creating the statue posted about it on Facebook, and they included a photo of the the head. It's 70s Glenn.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209593184924549&id=1175864943

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/FB_IMG_1471489686867_zpsmoxzuznh.jpg

GlennLover
08-18-2016, 09:48 AM
I don't think that it looks that much like him. Thanks for posting, AG95. I wonder if Glenn's estate has final approval?

NightMistBlue
08-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Excellent news and a fitting tribute! I'd love to go and see it. I've actually never been to America and my attempts so far to persuade my parents of the importance of a trip to Winslow, AZ as part of any American holiday we might go on have not proven very successful ('we're not going all that way to stand on a corner!'). Hopefully the new statue will help my cause but I'll probably have to go on my own some time in the future...

There are many beautiful things to see in Arizona, including the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

What a great tribute to Glenn, really special.

P.S. The statue already there isn't meant to depict Jackson Browne per se, according to the park's web site, but is "a life-sized bronze statue created by sculptor Ron Adamson depicting a 1970’s man standing on the corner wearing jeans, boots, shirt and vest with a guitar standing on the toe of his boot."

08-19-2016, 09:52 PM
I don't think that it looks that much like him. Thanks for posting, AG95. I wonder if Glenn's estate has final approval?

I think the facial features are pretty good, but the hair is all wrong. But, I'd like to see a frontal view to see if that makes a difference.

buffyfan145
08-20-2016, 10:13 AM
I agree I think the facial features look good as does the mustache, but I thought maybe the hair looks that way because of the sunglasses on his head, if they do that. LOL

NightMistBlue
08-20-2016, 10:59 AM
The sculptor gave Glenn a mullet.

sodascouts
08-20-2016, 12:06 PM
I have the same problem as Houston Baby. I need a real reason to get off work, and I'm not going to lie. They ask where you will be on the form and why. Would they really understand "attending a memorial ceremony in Winslow, Arizona?" Methinks they would guess who it was for!

I rarely ask for time off and I can take care of getting a substitute by myself, so that's not a problem. Still, I've already asked for time off in October to attend my cousin's wedding. I'm still debating whether or not to try. I don't want to be perceived as weird since Glenn is not a family member or even a friend in the real sense of the word, although he feels like so much more than that to me.

08-20-2016, 12:53 PM
I really want to go to this, but I haven't decided if I want to do it alone or not. A lot of things I don't mind doing by myself, but I don't know about this if no one else is able to go. Guess I have to make up my mind soon. :hmm:

Freypower
08-20-2016, 06:04 PM
The sculptor gave Glenn a mullet.

I wouldn't say that. A mullet is short on top & long at the back. This is the same length the way I see it.

thelastresort
08-20-2016, 06:11 PM
I'd agree: the hair and mustache is pretty much spot on, I'm just not too sure about the face!

Wildthyme
08-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Would love to go to this. I have wanted to see Winslow for ages and all of Glennsallnighter's pictures made it even more so. Wondering if I can justify the money for a flight/car rental/motel and all the other assorted expenses. Can't believe I am even thinking it might be possible. Lol

Brooke
08-22-2016, 02:38 PM
The people who are creating the statue posted about it on Facebook, and they included a photo of the the head. It's 70s Glenn.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/FB_IMG_1471489686867_zpsmoxzuznh.jpg

I think it's pretty good, but I'd prefer his long hair hanging down on the sides instead of pushed behind his ear. They have a long way to go to get this done by then too!

I heard about this on sirius radio and figured someone had posted about it here! Wonderful idea for the city to do! Glenn owns that song as much as Jackson, imo! :thumbsup:

I hope someone here gets to go. I know I can't.

UndertheWire
08-25-2016, 03:15 AM
Here's some more about the statue and the event. They say they will probably stream the ceremony.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=275029726216669&id=100011289312057&pnref=story

Houston Baby
08-25-2016, 10:44 AM
Fingers crossed! I hope so!!

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2016, 10:55 AM
I have the same problem as Houston Baby. I need a real reason to get off work, and I'm not going to lie. They ask where you will be on the form and why. Would they really understand "attending a memorial ceremony in Winslow, Arizona?" Methinks they would guess who it was for!

I rarely ask for time off and I can take care of getting a substitute by myself, so that's not a problem. Still, I've already asked for time off in October to attend my cousin's wedding. I'm still debating whether or not to try. I don't want to be perceived as weird since Glenn is not a family member or even a friend in the real sense of the word, although he feels like so much more than that to me.

This is my problem too. To get to the unveiling I would need to take Thursday and Friday off work that week and we are only just back. If I want ANY hope of getting to LA in January I will probably have to pass up on this one.

An added complication is that our teaching council have sent us letters saying in a nutshell that basically ANYONE can complain about us if we act in an unethical / irresponsible etc manner inside or outside of our jobs. Nobody is exactly sure what the guidelines are here but basically if a parent ( or even a colleague) got wind of the word that I was taking time off to travel I could be at the wrong end of a disciplinary hearing. I would be happy to take unpaid but I want to keep that option open for LA if I need it.

Houston Baby
08-25-2016, 11:10 AM
This is my problem too. To get to the unveiling I would need to take Thursday and Friday off work that week and we are only just back. If I want ANY hope of getting to LA in January I will probably have to pass up on this one.

An added complication is that our teaching council have sent us letters saying in a nutshell that basically ANYONE can complain about us if we act in an unethical / irresponsible etc manner inside or outside of our jobs. Nobody is exactly sure what the guidelines are here but basically if a parent ( or even a colleague) got wind of the word that I was taking time off to travel I could be at the wrong end of a disciplinary hearing. I would be happy to take unpaid but I want to keep that option open for LA if I need it.

GA - If I have a vote and you can only do one of the trips, my selfish vote is for you to take off in January! :grin: It would be great to see you again! And you have to go to Joshua Tree National Park with us!

TequilaSunrise82
08-25-2016, 10:04 PM

Disappointing, this looks nothing like him :nope:

Glennsallnighter
08-26-2016, 04:39 AM
GA - If I have a vote and you can only do one of the trips, my selfish vote is for you to take off in January! :grin: It would be great to see you again! And you have to go to Joshua Tree National Park with us!
I think so too HB. Also to be honest the flights to Phoenix are very expensive too and I am just BACK from the States!!

Glennhoney
08-26-2016, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't say it looks "nothing" like him...and since I'm not a sculptor, I'm not sure if it could have been better or not...

UndertheWire
08-26-2016, 12:24 PM
I'd need to find a picture of Glenn with a similar slight smile. My first impression was that the cheeks were a little too rounded whereas Glenn was more angular.

ETA: I'll accept that it's the smile that's rounding the cheeks. Other than that, it's a slightly idealised version, the sculpture equivalent of airbrushed.

GlennLover
08-26-2016, 01:26 PM
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/FB_IMG_1471489686867_zpsmoxzuznh.jpg[/IMG]

When I was looking at some of my saved pictures of Glenn the one below reminded me of the picture of the bust (mainly the hair & moustache). I don't think it is a good likeness. The nose seems right. Maybe it's the eyes.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/image_zpshbf9bsrg.jpeg

08-27-2016, 02:13 PM
First of all, HB and GA - It's too bad y'all can't make this, but I get it. It's such a shame when work gets in the way of play! But, I think I'd choose L.A. over this as well if I were in your shoes.

When I was looking at some of my saved pictures of Glenn the one below reminded me of the picture of the bust (mainly the hair & moustache). I don't think it is a good likeness. The nose seems right. Maybe it's the eyes.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/image_zpshbf9bsrg.jpeg

And that's funny how differently we all see things, GL. As I said earlier, to me the facial features do show a likeness. If anything, I think the nose is too big. I know Glenn had a pretty big nose, but not as big as the one on the bust. IMO, the hair is what's most wrong.

GlennLover
08-27-2016, 04:27 PM
The texture of the hair is certainly wrong. And the style isn't right either. His hair usually hung straighter than in the picture & the statue has it brushed back over his ears even more.

Delilah
08-27-2016, 06:11 PM

When I saw this the one thing that struck me was the eyes don't seem right. Everything else is passable, although I do think the hair could be better. Maybe once the work is complete and we can see the final product, it'll be more Glenn-like.

Witchy Woman
08-27-2016, 11:26 PM
I don't think it looks like him at all. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into another "Scary Lucy" situation, where a statue of Lucille Ball that was erected was so bad they had to replace it. http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae260/Jack_Bauer24/lucy%20statues.jpg

OutlawManNJ
08-28-2016, 12:59 AM
That head looks more like don felder than glenn frey!

Wouldnt be the first bad sculpture as mentioned the lucy one and in brazil my soccer team erected a sculpture of one the their star players that died in a helicopter accident. The sculpture is an eye sore to the memory of the player.

Ps: on big brother this season there is a guy that resembles frey alot ... The nose...deep eyes...see

Here: https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/paulie-calafiore-5.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780

Here http://www.stockingblue.com.nyud.net/wp-content/uploads/bb1801pc.jpg

Here http://cdn.bigbrotheraccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Paulie-Calafiore-Big-Brother-18-1.jpg

Here http://wwwimage.cbsstatic.com/base/files/styles/596xh/public/big-brother-season-18-paulie-nicole.jpg

TequilaSunrise82
08-28-2016, 08:22 AM
That head looks more like don felder than glenn frey!

Yes, I agree, the mouth especially reminds me of Felder.

buffyfan145
08-28-2016, 10:45 AM
I'll guess we'll see what it looks like when it's finished but I noticed there's bronze statues of The Beatles at a park in England that one of my Beatles friends went to yesterday and I spotted differences in their statues too. You could still tell it was them based on what they were wearing and it's an iconic photo of them walking down the street.

But maybe they were also going on how the other statue in the park isn't of Jackson but most people think it is (which I thought it was at first too). So just more of a vague 70s look so the statues represent Jackson and Glenn but it's not exactly them.

Jonny Come Lately
08-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Buffy, where were the Beatles statues? Just curious because I live about 15-20 minutes drive away from Liverpool city centre and there's a few Beatles-related landmarks and/or street names that I'm quite familiar with (there's one street in the city centre that has an Eleanor Rigby statue, a lot of people especially tourists take a photo with it). I'd be happy to take a few photos next time I'm down that way and post them on here.

I'd agree that the head of the statue isn't quite perfect, but it's certainly recognisable as OOTN/HC-era Glenn - it's far, far better than 'Scary Lucy'.

08-28-2016, 04:01 PM
I'd agree that the head of the statue isn't quite perfect, but it's certainly recognisable as OOTN/HC-era Glenn - it's far, far better than 'Scary Lucy'.

I agree, JCL. We all see things differently, but I don't see any resemblance to Felder at all. If you check out the DonFelderOnline photo gallery (http://www.donfelderonline.com/gallery.htm), the pictures of him show that he has a much fuller mouth than Glenn. Also, he has a smaller nose and Glenn's eyes are much deeper set. After the late 90's when Felder had some 'work' done, his lips appear to be thinner. I'm not trying to be critical, just offering an opinion on my observations.

buffyfan145
08-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Buffy, where were the Beatles statues? Just curious because I live about 15-20 minutes drive away from Liverpool city centre and there's a few Beatles-related landmarks and/or street names that I'm quite familiar with (there's one street in the city centre that has an Eleanor Rigby statue, a lot of people especially tourists take a photo with it). I'd be happy to take a few photos next time I'm down that way and post them on here.

It's in Liverpool but I'm not exactly sure where. It's on the side walk and she did post that she was "walking along the docks with the Fabs" and looks like the photo of them walking in the early 60s with the coats on. Their faces may not be exact but the clothing and the way they're walking is the same.

Freypower
08-28-2016, 05:54 PM
That statue is based on one of the greatest photos ever taken of the Beatles. I had no idea this had happened; how I need to see this. I would say the only one who doesn't look quite right is George. It is literally in front of the Liver Buliding!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/beatles-statue-unveiled-liverpool-waterfront-10548540

The statue of Glenn may not be perfect but it certainly does not look like Felder.

http://i1.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article10548696.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/JS78039909.jpg

buffyfan145
08-28-2016, 09:12 PM
This angle looks better than the one my friend posted. LOL Had no idea about it till her post yesterday.

UndertheWire
08-29-2016, 07:01 AM
The Beatles one looks great. I had no trouble in picking out who's who and there's a sense of movement.

I'll add my vote that the Winslow bust looks nothing like Don Felder.

SilverAcidRayne
08-29-2016, 09:29 AM
no.

Definitely not Felder. lol

Brooke
08-29-2016, 11:11 AM
The Beatles statues are great! I had no trouble identifying them either. I would recognize John and Ringo if they were by themselves. Maybe not the other two.

I think Glenn's is a good likeness, but it's definitely not perfect.

The one in Winslow isn't Jackson either, but they didn't mean it to be. It does remind me of him though.

sodascouts
08-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Well, I talked to my department chair about it and there happens to be a Shakespeare panel in Tempe the day before. I told her that I would like to go to the panel and why. She had no problem with it as long as I get my professional development by attending the panel before going to the ceremony, which of course I will do. I'm there!

08-29-2016, 11:09 PM
Yep - I'm really excited about this. Winslow has been on my bucket list for a long time. Made all my airline reservations over the weekend so it's official!

GlennLover
08-30-2016, 12:40 AM
Yea, Soda & Dreamer!!!

Glennhoney
08-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Well, I talked to my department chair about it and there happens to be a Shakespeare panel in Tempe the day before. I told her that I would like to go to the panel and why. She had no problem with it as long as I get my professional development by attending the panel before going to the ceremony, which of course I will do. I'm there!
..WONDERFUL!

Brooke
08-30-2016, 09:30 AM
Woo hoo Soda and Dreamer! You girls rock! :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
08-30-2016, 09:38 AM

See everything works out. I'm glad you and IABAD are going. We got some people representing the Border going to the ceremony.

travlnman2
08-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Looks a little like Jesus

buffyfan145
08-30-2016, 10:31 AM
That's great Soda & Dreamer!!! :D

Jonny Come Lately
08-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Looks a little like Jesus

Or maybe it's Elvis? You know, they kinda look the same... :wink: :hilarious:

NightMistBlue
08-30-2016, 03:05 PM

Woo-hoo! Glad for you, Nancy and Dreamer :cheers:

You'll have to check out Sedona too, right - wasn't that where Jackson was heading or intending to go before getting waylaid in Winslow?

NightMistBlue
08-30-2016, 03:08 PM
The Beatles statues are great! I had no trouble identifying them either.

They made Paul look chunky though, that's my only quibble.

Glennsallnighter
08-30-2016, 05:04 PM

YAY!!! Soda and Dreamer - really delighted for you both and dying to see some pics from the festival. In any case things with my parents are quite bad at the moment so I guess its better that I hadn't booked to go. But you guys have a ball and I will be there with you in spirit

Glennsallnighter
08-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Just a taster.....

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/America%202016/IMG_6808.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/America%202016/IMG_6808.jpg.html)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/America%202016/IMG_2849.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/America%202016/IMG_2849.jpg.html)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/America%202016/IMG_6809.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/America%202016/IMG_6809.jpg.html)

NightMistBlue
08-31-2016, 07:19 AM
Great photos, GA! You're a cutie. I hope your parents will be doing better.

Winslow looks like a real nice little town.

Brooke
08-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Great pics, Ga! How cool that you were just there! Thanks for sharing!

buffyfan145
08-31-2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the pics GA!!! :D Love the way the town looks. Hope to see it in person one day.

GlennLover
08-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Is that a fake eagle on the window ledge above you in the 2nd picture?

LuvTim
08-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Thanks for sharing your photos, GA! You look great!
It's so terrific that you got to visit there.

Hope all is improving with your parents. Blessings.

NightMistBlue
09-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Is that a fake eagle on the window ledge above you in the 2nd picture?

Well spotted!

priscillaupstate
09-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Or is it real? :)

09-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Or is it real? :smile:

Golly, Priscilla - I meant to answer your question a long time ago and totally forgot about it. No, the Eagle is not real. If you look at any pictures of the corner, you'll see it. It's a permanent fixture - no accident, I guess. :grin:

Anyway, our trip to the statue unveiling is less than two weeks away. When Soda and I leave Arizona, we will fly to Nashville to see Timothy two weeks from today. Getting very excited.

GlennLover
09-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Golly, Priscilla - I meant to answer your question a long time ago and totally forgot about it. No, the Eagle is not real. If you look at any pictures of the corner, you'll see it. It's a permanent fixture - no accident, I guess. :grin:

Anyway, our trip to the statue unveiling is less than two weeks away. When Soda and I leave Arizona, we will fly to Nashville to see Timothy two weeks from today. Getting very excited.

I'm excited for you both!

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Sounds like you will have a great weekend.

Houston Baby
09-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Have a GREAT time ladies!! It should be a lot of fun! Wish I could join y'all!:yay::yay:

UndertheWire
09-15-2016, 04:36 PM
I hope you have a great time ... and if I remember to tune in, I;ll look for you on the livestream.

An update on the statue: https://www.facebook.com/MarkNeanderpaul/photos/a.815022531949836.1073741828.815018785283544/1021901524595268/?type=3&theater

It looks like he has his arm out ready for a hug.

GlennLover
09-15-2016, 05:23 PM
I still don't think it looks like him. The hair mustn't have beet finished in the first pic we saw. It looks smoother here.

I do think the choice of the "Song Power" tee shirt is very appropriate.

AlreadyGone95
09-15-2016, 05:59 PM
The hair makes him look like Duane or Greg Allman. It's not that horrible, though. The Song Power T-shirt is cool. Now, they need the patched jeans with it.

Freypower
09-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Now that I have seen it from that angle I am even more dissatisfied with it.

Oh well.

LovinGlennGirl
09-15-2016, 08:26 PM
Love the choice of shirt

buffyfan145
09-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Love the shirt choice too and it's not that bad. Looking forward to seeing what the finished one will look like.

UndertheWire
09-16-2016, 05:19 AM
I like that it doesn't look exactly like Glenn - that would be too disturbing.

The man in the sculpture looks older and has a fuller face than Glenn did when he had long hair. However, I assume the pictures are of the clay model and in bronze it will reflect light in different ways and could look quite different. There's a good sense of movement in the t-shirt and arms. Jeans and cowboy boots to come?

GlennLover
09-16-2016, 08:29 AM

The man in the sculpture looks older and has a fuller face than Glenn did when he had long hair. However, I assume the pictures are of the clay model and in bronze it will reflect light in different ways and could look quite different. There's a good sense of movement in the t-shirt and arms. Jeans and cowboy boots to come?

I was thinking that his face was too full as well.

Brooke
09-16-2016, 10:34 AM
It's a resemblance, but I would have thought they could have done better.

GlennLover
09-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Here is a pic of the full length of the nearly completed statue. (They're still working on the hands.)

http://s579.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fss232%2F1Cdn%2Fimage_zpscand duh3.jpeg

UndertheWire
09-16-2016, 03:24 PM
The link doesn't work for me.

LuvTim
09-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Sorry, link doesn't work for me either.

NightMistBlue
09-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Nor for me.

Freypower
09-16-2016, 07:22 PM

I don't see what would be disturbing about sculpting a statue that resembles the person being honoured.

GlennLover
09-16-2016, 11:19 PM
The link doesn't work for me.

I was afraid of that. Photobucket on my iPad wouldn't let me copy the usual link to post the picture. I'll try tomorrow on my laptop, unless someone else is able to post the pic before I get a chance.

GlennLover
09-16-2016, 11:26 PM
I don't see what would be disturbing about sculpting a statue that resembles the person being honoured.

I agree. I think that it should be a good likeness. I know that right now it could be disturbing to look at a statue of Glenn that really resembles him as his death is still very painfull to a lot of us & we know that it is being dedicated is because of his passing.

Eagles7
09-17-2016, 12:42 AM

Hahah, love it Freypower! My thoughts exactly!

Also, how bout Teen King on the shirt!

Witchy Woman
09-17-2016, 01:24 AM
Now that I have seen it from that angle I am even more dissatisfied with it.

Oh well.

Yes !!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it sucks !! They definitely could have done a better job. At least it's not Scary Lucy territory.

GlennLover
09-17-2016, 07:29 AM
Here is the photo

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/image_zpscandduh3.jpeg

UndertheWire
09-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Thanks for posting. I see it now.

Not a good likeness. Face far too broad, head too big, not skinny enough and jeans too baggy and doesn't have attitude.

Just as a reminder (as if anyone needs one):
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/hairynosed/112974_4_zps3b2c27e1.jpg

buffyfan145
09-17-2016, 09:45 AM
I'm still wondering if maybe they're going for the statues not actually being Glenn and Jackson, but being characters in the song. So there is a slight resemblance but the whole park is acting out the lyrics. The Glenn statue looks like now his arm is going to rest on "Jackson"s shoulder and almost be like telling him the line "It's a girl my Lord in a flat bed Ford slowing down to take a look at me" referencing the truck and mural and in response to the previous lyric from Jackson's POV, and somewhat how the song was written.

GlennLover
09-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Anything that I have read states that it is supposed to be Glenn, but that the statue that is "standing on the corner" now is not a particular person, but is often erroneously thought to be Jackson Browne.

Freypower
09-17-2016, 05:31 PM
The T shirt is wrong & being even more pedantic, he didn't have a moustache when the song was written.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the sentiment but it doesn't work.

The entire thing (everything which has happened) is such a bloody shame. Be glad I didn't use stronger language. I just feel so empty & this was supposed to help in some way, and hasn't. :censored::cuss:

LovinGlennGirl
09-17-2016, 05:50 PM
The T shirt is wrong & being even more pedantic, he didn't have a moustache when the song was written.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the sentiment but it doesn't work.

The entire thing (everything which has happened) is such a bloody shame. Be glad I didn't use stronger language. I just feel so empty & this was supposed to help in some way, and hasn't. :censored::cuss:

I understand, most times I feel like I have a hole in my soul that will never go away. :(

sodascouts
09-17-2016, 08:33 PM
I'm disappointed as well. I knew it wouldn't be perfect but the face is so wrong...

However, it's the thought that counts. I am still glad he is getting honored with a statue.

WS82Classics
09-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Here is the photo

I know that's supposed to be a Frey tribute, but, every time I look at it, I keep thinking Felder.

sodascouts
09-17-2016, 08:58 PM
The eyes look like Randy.

NightMistBlue
09-17-2016, 09:09 PM

Not a good likeness. Face far too broad, head too big, not skinny enough and jeans too baggy and doesn't have attitude.

Just as a reminder (as if anyone needs one):
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/hairynosed/112974_4_zps3b2c27e1.jpg

Ooh la la. That would be a sexy statue.

I see the resemblance to everyone that's been mentioned: Duane Allman, Felder, the soft expression in Randy's eyes.

Maybe the likeness to Glenn will improve once it's cast in bronze. Let us pray.

Delilah
09-17-2016, 10:37 PM

I completely agree with this. In your picture he has his sunglasses on his head; it would be a nice touch if the statue had the shades, too, just like a cool rock and roller standing on a corner in Arizona would have. Hopefully the finished product will be close enough for anyone to say, "Hey, that's Glenn Frey!"

These renditions aren't perfect, but they are identifiable.

sodascouts
09-17-2016, 11:30 PM
I wonder if this is the photo they were trying to work from?

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/eaglesQ3.jpg

Regardless, all we can do is hope the bronze version looks better, and appreciate the sentiment.

09-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Well - I don't think it's a horrible likeness of Glenn, but it's not a great one either. It's funny, but I actually think the original picture posted of just the head looked more like Glenn than the full statue. I have to say, although I don't think they got the hair right, it does look better than I thought it would. And it's not a very good job of capturing his physique. It be interesting to see what my impressions are this coming weekend.

In any event, I also share the sentiment that it's a great way to honor Glenn and I am so glad that there will always be a place where fans can now go to memorialize him. I'm hoping they will let us leave something at the statue. I hadn't really thought about what I would leave though - gotta get working on this. Any suggestions???

UndertheWire
09-18-2016, 01:04 PM
How about an Eagles medallion?

09-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Hmm - not a bad idea UTW if I can manage to find one. Soda and I should have time to do a little bit of checking around when we're there, so we will surely be able to come up with something.

NightMistBlue
09-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Sunglasses on his head? Someone is sure to steal a medallion.

Glennsallnighter
09-19-2016, 08:02 AM
Hmm - not a bad idea UTW if I can manage to find one. Soda and I should have time to do a little bit of checking around when we're there, so we will surely be able to come up with something.

I left a photograph of him that I had framed there. I don't know what happens the stuff that peole have left there. I'd have liked to get flowers but I couldnt find a florist.

thelastresort
09-19-2016, 08:38 AM
More I look at it the less I see Glenn. Sentiment's nice and all but they should either have gone for a carbon copy of early Seventies Glenn or someone else altogether - it just looks like a weird hybrid of Glenn and a stereotypical Southern Californian IMO.

GlennLover
09-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Sunglasses on his head? Someone is sure to steal a medallion.

The Eagles' medallion should have been cast as part of the statue as he wore it all the time in the 70s. No one would be able to steal that!

Jonny Come Lately
09-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Well - I don't think it's a horrible likeness of Glenn, but it's not a great one either. It's funny, but I actually think the original picture posted of just the head looked more like Glenn than the full statue. I have to say, although I don't think they got the hair right, it does look better than I thought it would. And it's not a very good job of capturing his physique. It be interesting to see what my impressions are this coming weekend.

I totally agree that the original photo of the head looked more like Glenn than the full statue. The strange thing is that although the original head wasn't perfect I think it was very recognisable as Glenn, whereas even the face now doesn't quite look right - comparing to photos of him my immediate impression is that the statue needs slightly wider eyes and more of a smile. I can see why people say he looks a bit like Randy but I also think the face looks vaguely like Bernie's did back in the day. Overall I'd say it's not as good a likeness as hoped unfortunately, although you can never quite tell how it will look when it is actually unveiled.

On the plus side, I do like the 'Song Power' T-shirt - that was a nice touch.

sodascouts
09-22-2016, 02:58 AM
Well, I'm off to make the four hour drive to Nashville Airport in order to catch my 7:30 flight to Arizona. Later, guys!

FreyFollower
09-22-2016, 04:41 AM
Be safe and have a grand time!

thelastresort
09-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Have a great time soda!

Does anybody know roughly when the unveiling etc is over the weekend? Will stream it if possible but don't want to be sat here for hours waiting for it to happen.

UndertheWire
09-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Friday noon, local time. That's 8pm BST.

I've read it will be livestreamed but I don't have the link.

Glennsallnighter
09-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Safe travelling Soda. Wish I was with you too!!

Brooke
09-22-2016, 09:38 AM
Be safe, Soda!

Here's a link to what's happening there for the weekend. Love Glenn's pic on it!

http://standinonthecorner.com/2016-standin-on-the-corner-park-festival/

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Frey/Standingonthecornerposter_zpsuj70bhvs.png (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Frey/Standingonthecornerposter_zpsuj70bhvs.png.html)

and a link to their webpage

http://standinonthecorner.com/

buffyfan145
09-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Have fun and safe travels to all that are going!!! :D

09-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Well -

WE'RE OFF!!!

I'm in the Atlanta airport waiting to board my flight to Phoenix. I'll be meeting up with Soda later this afternoon and then we'll be off to Winslow. I'm very excited and looking forward to the statue dedication ceremony tomorrow.

We'll keep everyone posted when we can.

GlennLover
09-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Have a safe trip & enjoy " Standin' On The Corner "!!! Say hello to Soda!

LuvTim
09-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Everyone have a safe, fun trip. I'll be looking for the livestream for this event.

(Aren't we fortunate theses days, to be able to witness these kinds of occasions, far afield as they may be?) 8)

sodascouts
09-22-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm in Phoenix!

LuvTim
09-22-2016, 12:20 PM
I'm in Phoenix!

Yay!!:yay:

NightMistBlue
09-22-2016, 03:17 PM
Everyone have a safe, fun trip. I'll be looking for the livestream for this event.

(Aren't we fortunate theses days, to be able to witness these kinds of occasions, far afield as they may be?) 8)

A livestream you say! Must check that out.

Jonny Come Lately
09-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Hope everyone going has a great trip! 8) Looking forward to hearing all about it.

UndertheWire
09-22-2016, 04:43 PM
This week you guys are honoring the late Eagles great Glenn Frey with a statue in Winslow, AZ. Before we get into specifics, how did this idea originate?

Mark: We were just thinking of a way to honor Glenn Frey's everlasting impact on Arizona, so we figured a statue in tribute to him would be perfect. We just had to get the city of Winslow to agree.
NeanderPaul: To be clear, there's already a statue in Winslow that "stands on the corner." Over the years, people have said it resembles Jackson Browne (who co-wrote "Take It Easy") So, when Glenn passed, we thought there should be a second one installed as a tribute. We didn't plan for it to actually *be* Glenn. We just figured people would make the connection on their own.
9) Give us the details on what's going to take place this week in Winslow with the Glenn Frey statue unveiling?

Mark: The day itself will be simple. We'll do our show from 5-10a and then the statue will be installed between noon and 2. All the work of arranging this whole thing is pretty much done.
NeanderPaul: We'll do the show live from Winslow on the morning of the dedication to help kick off the town's annual "Standing On The Corner Festival." We'll stream video, and (barring any last-minute technical limitation) stream the ceremony live at around noon. Everyone's invited to join us live. Either in-person or online.
10) Finally, how did you two guys, along with the Standing On The Corner Foundation and the City of Winslow come up with the money to fund the statue?

Mark & NeanderPaul: It wasn't cheap. We handled about 66% of the costs. The City of Winslow & Standing On The Corner Foundation, who handle the park's administration and maintenance, combine to cover the balance.

http://www.allaccess.com/rock/10-questions/archive/25159/10-questions-with-mark-devine-neander-paul

buffyfan145
09-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Thanks UTW for the article. So that statue really isn't supposed to be Glenn just like the other one isn't really Jackson, but still honoring them and the song.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing what happens this weekend. :)

L101
09-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Hope everyone going to the unveiling has a great time - can't wait to hear all the stories :-)

I'll try to watch the unveiling online if I can get the link!

sodascouts
09-23-2016, 12:01 AM
Dreamer and I hopped down to the Corner and saw the old statue in front of the mural. I'm not sure where the new one will be... I'm eager for tomorrow!

PS I call BS on the "it was never supposed to be a statue of Glenn Frey" line. I didn't fly out here to see a statue of a random seventies dude. Everyone around here is saying it's supposed to be Glenn, too.

LuvTim
09-23-2016, 12:29 AM
Dreamer and I hopped down to the Corner and saw the old statue in front of the mural. I'm not sure where the new one will be... I'm eager for tomorrow!

PS I call BS on the "it was never supposed to be a statue of Glenn Frey" line. I didn't fly out here to see a statue of a random seventies dude. Everyone around here is saying it's supposed to be Glenn, too.

One, I agree that it's really supposed to be Glenn.
Two, I love your new avatar animation. Younger Glenn becoming more mature Glenn. Wonderful.
Three, good grief, girl-- I just noticed, 30,000 posts. Impressive.

Have a great trip. (Jealous.)

UndertheWire
09-23-2016, 06:58 AM
I agree with the BS comment. It's not as if "song power" t-shirts were worn by everyone.

I look forward to read about the festivities. Will you stick around for the tribute band?

shunlvswx
09-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Here's the link to listen to the ceremony later today. I heard they were going to do the live stream of the ceremony, but its probably on their facebook page.

http://live.kslx.com/listen/

Here's the facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/MarkNeanderpaul/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

NightMistBlue
09-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Thank you, Shun! Have a blast, Soda :bye:

shunlvswx
09-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Oh crap. I have to figure out which time zone they are on since Arizona usually doesn't change when Daylight Savings Ends and Beginning. I have to figure out if they are on Mountain or Pacific at this moment.

Brooke
09-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Oh crap. I have to figure out which time zone they are on since Arizona usually doesn't change when Daylight Savings Ends and Beginning. I have to figure out if they are on Mountain or Pacific at this moment.

I just checked a map of time zones-Mountain (2 hours behind me) which is really the same as Pacific according to the map.

sodascouts
09-23-2016, 10:48 AM
It's Pacific.

I believe the band is playing Saturday evening and we have to be back in Nashville then to see Timothy on Sunday so we'll miss them, I'm afraid. I must admit it's hard for me to watch tribute bands now anyway.

Two events in three days - busy weekend!

I'll take photos and report back.

I have 30,000 posts, eh? I didn't even notice! It was almost eleven years ago when I created this board as an outgrowth of the board I'd been running dedicated solely to Glenn.... and here we are now, still inspired to post about him even now that he's gone.

(LuvTim - thanks for the compliment on the avatar!)

Brooke
09-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Way to go Soda! And we are all so glad you did it! Thanks so much!

shunlvswx
09-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks ladies. So its going to be 2:00pm for me. I have to remember to go to that link and listen.

UndertheWire
09-23-2016, 11:43 AM
I tried streaming the radio station and got a message that it isn't available for streaming out the USA.

sodascouts
09-23-2016, 01:44 PM
Bad news. The statute isn't here. It's been delayed in transit. New time is tomorrow at 11... But no guarantees. Problem is Dreamer and I have to fly out of Phoenix at 4:25... We're trying to find out more.

Glennsallnighter
09-23-2016, 01:53 PM
Oh no! I hope you can get to see it unveiled. And congrats on 30,000 posts. Way to go :grooving:

LuvTim
09-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Bad news. The statute isn't here. It's been delayed in transit. New time is tomorrow at 11... But no guarantees. Problem is Dreamer and I have to fly out of Phoenix at 4:25... We're trying to find out more.

Oh no. :sigh:

GlennLover
09-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Bummer! I'm sure that there must be quite a number of people in Winslow just for the unveiling. That's poor planning to not have more lead time for transport although the statue probably wasn't ready any earlier. Fingers crossed the you get to see it.

Brooke
09-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Oh no! That's terrible! I hope it works out for you!

09-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Yeah - Soda and I came back to the room to regroup. What a bummer! There are people here that have come from all over the place to see this and they can't manage to have the statue here on time. Oh well - not happy, but nothing we can do about it. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that they do it tomorrow by 11:00. If not, we are really screwed. We'll keep everyone posted when we hear more.

buffyfan145
09-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Oh no, I hope it gets there in time too.

NightMistBlue
09-23-2016, 05:13 PM
I hope so too. No matter what occurs though, I know you guys will make it fun and worthwhile.

Houston Baby
09-23-2016, 07:58 PM
I will keep positive thoughts that it will get there some time tonight and will be all set for early in the morning. That is definitely poor planning on the foundation's part. That statue should have been there!

Have y'all at least been able to see the park and where the statue will be?

sodascouts
09-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Yes. It will be a few feet from the other, leaning against the second lightpost.

RudieCantFail
09-24-2016, 01:33 AM
I really hope it gets there on time tomorrow at 11 am. They only had one job to do! Eh, things happen. Anyways, hope you and Dreamer have a good time tomorrow and hopefully it's not too hot over there. Also, congrats on 30k posts and for making this board a welcoming place!

Witchy Woman
09-24-2016, 01:35 AM
Maybe they decided at the last minute to fix it so it actually looks like Glenn !! Lol !! I hope everything works out for Soda and Dreamer. It would suck to have travelled all that way for nothing.

AlreadyGone95
09-24-2016, 04:05 AM
I hope ya'll will be able to see the unveiling. They should've dedicated more time to get the statue there on time. It stinks that it isn't a Glenn Frey statue, despite the fact that the flyer/poster says it is. Congrats on 30,000 posts Soda!

Glennsallnighter
09-24-2016, 06:31 AM
I have heard that the owner of the foundry which was making the statue had a heart attack on Wednesday. But surely with a commission as big as this and knowing that people would come from all over the world to see it, a contingency should have been in place?

buffyfan145
09-24-2016, 11:01 AM
I too read that on FB about the driver having a heart attack. :( Hope it's able to get there on time too.

Houston Baby
09-24-2016, 11:06 AM
I have said a prayer for everything to work out and the statue gets there in time and also for the driver's recovery. What a sad situation but I am keeping positive thoughts for a last minute solution.

Houston Baby
09-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Just heard from Soda and the statue is supposed to be there at 10:30am. Keep those positive thoughts & prayers going....
It will be a disappointment for all of us if Soda & Dreamer miss this.

LuvTim
09-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Just heard from Soda and the statue is supposed to be there at 10:30am. Keep those positive thoughts & prayers going....
It will be a disappointment for all of us if Soda & Dreamer miss this.

It sure would be. Keeping the good thoughts going.

Houston Baby
09-24-2016, 02:22 PM
HALLELUJAH!

Soda just texted and the statue is there!!!:yay::yay::yay:

shunlvswx
09-24-2016, 02:22 PM
https://www.facebook.com/1007KSLX/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Its live right now.

shunlvswx
09-24-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm so glad they did it before IABAD and Soda left.

Houston Baby
09-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Me too Shun! I have been sweating bullets! :pace:

Unfortunately I am at work and cannot watch it. :sigh:

shunlvswx
09-24-2016, 02:31 PM
The live feed died which sucks. :sigh:

LuvTim
09-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Well, it is dead, isn't it? Rats.

Note: I saw Soda right at the beginning of the feed @ -14.32. She's right there in front. I presume Dreamer is right there with her.

Glennhoney
09-24-2016, 02:57 PM
I watched it all...it was wonderful ..very touching..I'm still crying....:inlove:

UndertheWire
09-24-2016, 03:01 PM
How did you watch it?

Glennhoney
09-24-2016, 03:03 PM
..on facebook...

UndertheWire
09-24-2016, 03:08 PM
The feed died before they revealed the statue on the KSLX Facebook. Is it available elsewhere?

100.7 KSLX (https://www.facebook.com/1007KSLX/?rc=p) · We will post the whole video later. Sorry but we were running into service problems

LovinGlennGirl
09-24-2016, 03:28 PM
I am impatiently waiting to see a picture of the statue. :sigh:

LuvTim
09-24-2016, 03:33 PM
I am impatiently waiting to see a picture of the statue. :sigh:

Yeah. What's going on? :sigh:

(I know, they're working on it. :roll: )

Glennhoney
09-24-2016, 03:39 PM
It cut out now and then..but I did get to see the unveiling....

LuvTim
09-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Photos are now being posted at the KSLX Facebook page. 8)

buffyfan145
09-24-2016, 04:09 PM
So glad it worked out for them and starting to see the pics pop up!!! :D

sodascouts
09-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Yes, we got to see it, thank God! Barely though. We had to leave at 11:30 to make sure we made our flight, but the ceremony lasted til 11:45. I was so stressed about the flight that I didn't get to appreciate the ceremony as much as I would have liked.

I have some photos and videos I will post later, as well as more thoughts on it.

Dreamer and I are speeding to the airport now. There is no later flight to Nashville tonight. Pray we make it!

Houston Baby
09-24-2016, 04:46 PM
PLEASE be careful!! :pray:

UndertheWire
09-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Not Glenn, but this is what it reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEymZ3rXOmc

LuvTim
09-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Not Glenn, but this is what it reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEymZ3rXOmc

Too cute. :-)

NightMistBlue
09-24-2016, 07:05 PM
There's a photo on Facebook. The statue looks good! I hope our gals had fun.

Houston Baby
09-24-2016, 07:24 PM
I can report that they made it to the airport on time and are now headed to Nashville and Timothy.

GlennLover
09-24-2016, 07:30 PM
:yay::yay::yay::blueblob::blueblob::blueblob:

Glennhoney
09-24-2016, 07:57 PM
I can report that they made it to the airport on time and are now headed to Nashville and Timothy.

..good to hear..

buffyfan145
09-24-2016, 08:40 PM
That's great they made it!!! :D I agree about the statue it does look better in bronze. Also noticed the two statues bookend the park which is great.

rcknalwys
09-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Glad they made it!

GlennLover
09-25-2016, 03:51 PM
I was just doing some research to see if thr original articles announcing the commissioning of the statue actually said that the statue was of Glenn or just a tribute to him. I came upon this article with an update made to it: http://www.route66news.com/2016/09/07/glenn-frey-tribute-statue-sept-23/

Hall said the foundation received clearance from Frey’s estate before having the artist begin the statue. UPDATE 9/8/2016: Devine said in an email Hall is incorrect and the foundation hasn’t received approval from the Frey estate. So the statue will be a tribute to Frey instead.

Glennhoney
09-25-2016, 05:26 PM
I was just doing some research to see if thr original articles announcing the commissioning of the statue actually said that the statue was of Glenn or just a tribute to him. I came upon this article with an update made to it: http://www.route66news.com/2016/09/07/glenn-frey-tribute-statue-sept-23/

...interesting..I hadn't thought about it, but it makes sense if you don't have the "ok" from the family, you can't really duplicate the likeness..

09-25-2016, 05:54 PM
Yeah - I was going to post about this when I got time. This confirms what we were told yesterday. Since Glenn's family has not officially sanctioned the commissioning of the statue as of now, they've had to back down a little and say it was a tribute statue. But, it was originally intended to be a statue of Glenn though and was advertised as such. I will have to say that the finished statue is much better than the pictures we saw earlier, and, overall, both Soda and I were pleased with it.

I'll write a lot more later after things settle down.

Glennsallnighter
09-26-2016, 04:43 AM
Well as far as I'm concerned its Glenn :heart:

LuvTim
09-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Well as far as I'm concerned its Glenn :heart:

I agree, GA. :-)

Brooke
09-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Good grief, Soda and Dreamer! I'm so glad you got to see it after all and then made your flights in time! How stressful!

Can't wait to see pics!

Delilah
09-27-2016, 08:24 PM
I can't wait to see Soda and Dreamer's pics, either. Until then, here's one.
Source: acarsondesign

shunlvswx
09-27-2016, 08:41 PM
Glenn is trending on facebook. Its about the statue.

Brooke
09-28-2016, 03:57 PM
I just checked their facebook and no clip of the unveiling ceremony that I could find. Anyone found anything?

UndertheWire
09-29-2016, 09:00 AM
It's short:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGpkgsTsieE

AlreadyGone95
10-01-2016, 12:39 AM
The finished product looks better than I thought it would. The song power shirt makes the statue be Glenn, imo, even if the statue isn't supposed to be Glenn.

10-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Here are some of my thoughts about the trip to Winslow for Glenn’s statue dedication. My first thoughts were that if the event had happened as scheduled on Friday, how differently I would have felt. When I first heard about the statue dedication, my initial reaction was I wasn’t sure it was worth going if it was going to be a just brief dedication. However, once I learned that it was scheduled to be much more like a two and a half hour event, I was definitely excited and convinced that I wanted to be there. My plan was to spend as much time as I wanted there, take as many pictures as I wanted, leave some sentiment of my love and appreciation for Glenn, and hang out at the statue for as long as it felt right.

So, when the statue finally arrived at ten minutes before 11:00 on Saturday morning, I have to admit that I felt really cheated because I knew I wasn’t going to have the luxury of spending the precious moments as I had planned. Soda and I had figured that we needed to leave no later than 11:30 to drive back to Phoenix to make our flight (missing it was not an option since this was the final flight out for the day). So, instead of this being a reflective, cathartic memorial ceremony, the emotions that I felt were frustration, impatience, and disappointment. I also felt somewhat guilty because I was there, after all, whereas, many who had traveled a lot farther than we had didn’t get a chance to see it at all.

But still. In spite of my disappointment, I am very grateful I was there. And as I mentioned earlier, Soda and I were both pretty pleased with the statue - it definitely does more justice to Glenn in person. I don’t know now if I’d ever want to go back again or not. I have mixed feelings about it right now. In some ways, I have a very bad taste in my mouth about Winslow, AZ and the way this event was mishandled. I think it was very unprofessional of them not to have a backup plan to ensure that this event went off on schedule. It should have been very obvious to them that Eagles fans would be coming from many places throughout the world to attend this ceremony. And while they seemed somewhat embarrassed, my perception is that they were really insensitive about the true impact on fans. However, on the other hand, I do feel like I have some unfinished business there since all I got to do was get a brief glimpse of the statue before I had to hurry away.

I will say this about the City of Winslow, the Standin’ on the Corner Foundation, as well as the 100.7 KSLX DJs that made this happen. It is very evident that they have a deep love and appreciation for Glenn, the song Take It Easy, and the Eagles. We should all be very grateful to them for all of their dedication and hard work. They have provided Eagles fans with a living monument to the band that we can visit for many, many years to come. So, if you ever get the opportunity to go, I say do it. My hope is that this mishap is a lesson learned for them to be more appreciative, sensitive, and understanding towards Eagles fans so that, together, we can have a fertile and gratifying future to immortalize our beloved band.

sodascouts
10-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Dreamer pretty much expresses how I feel as well.

Retrospectively, not to be morbid, but it freaks me out a bit that I was standing on that corner with freaking pneumonia during this whole ceremony.

I also wish the ceremony had been a bit more about Glenn and a bit less self-congratulatory / self-promotional, but I guess in truth while they are honoring Glenn, the thing was more about pumping up Winslow than anything else. It makes a great deal of sense they'd want to thank all the donors, talk about the organization, talk about the town, talk about their personal journeys, etc., but I have to admit as I watched the clock tick down, all I could do was pray they got to Glenn before we had to leave.

Warning: Negative Nancy alert! Putting aside the lateness of the statue, the Saturday ceremony was also very amateurishly done. I won't go into too many details but it was obvious that the organizers and participants had no clear idea of who was going to do what and when, or even who was going to be there. Much time was wasted due to the confused, awkward fumbling that inevitably occurs when people are not following a coherent plan. I tried not to feel resentful when one of the DJs joked that it didn't matter how long it took - "An extra day, an extra hour, whatever." It felt like a big "screw you" to me and the people who had to leave without seeing it because of the delay, although to be fair I'm sure he didn't mean it that way. Honestly, if I hadn't been on such a time crunch, I probably wouldn't have cared so much about all the time wasted, but as it was... I cared a LOT.

Positive Nancy again: Tom, who runs one of the nearby gift stores and is the head of the Foundation, did seem genuinely regretful about the problems. He also seemed to be have a true appreciation of Glenn Frey as more than just "the guy who put Winslow on the map." He spent a good six minutes talking about Glenn's career all the way up to the History of the Eagles, which I appreciated. When he talked about how sad he was when he heard about Glenn dying, well, I think we all can relate to that. Several other members of the Foundation also appeared visibly moved. I did my best to focus on why I was there. It's all about Glenn.

All in all, I'm very glad they commissioned the statue. I applaud their efforts in that regard, as well as the money and time they put into it. It is quite special and I recommend Frey / Eagles fans visit it.

I took a few photos and some video. I'll crop myself out of them because I look wretched, and then upload what I can.

Houston Baby
10-01-2016, 06:24 PM
I am happy to hear that the statue does look better in person. And I agree Dreamer that the foundation & organizers should have had a back up plan. I cannot believe that the statue was not there in time for the initial ceremony. It had to be a disappointment to many fans especially the ones who traveled a great distance. But for the ones there, it did look like great fun!

I am planning to go next year as I do want to see the statue and also the meteorite crater that is nearby.

sodascouts
10-01-2016, 07:45 PM
It's definitely worth a visit.

sodascouts
10-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Some views of the statue (we couldn't stay to pose with it or wait until the crowds dispersed):

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/winslow2016/WinslowStatue1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/winslow2016/WinslowStatue2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/winslow2016/WinslowStatue4.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/winslow2016/WinslowStatue3.jpg

sodascouts
10-01-2016, 09:44 PM
The speech about Glenn. Sorry it's so shaky! My hands were trembling and my balance was off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEAsBFaFP8

The actual unveiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNUSAvrJUoM

Delilah
10-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Thank you Soda and Dreamer for the accounts. From the video there's a nice-sized crowd. Do you know if any of Glenn's family or colleagues were there?

I hate to be a stickler but I couldn't help notice some wrong facts cited: "Joe Walsh replaced Felder."

sodascouts
10-02-2016, 03:29 PM
That wasn't the only factual error, but I think it was the most egregious!

At first the crowd seemed sparse, but by 11:00, the corner was filled with people. I'm hesitant to estimate the number, though, because I'm not good at that sort of thing.

We were told the Frey family had been asked to come but had not responded with the exception of his brother Alan, who had considered it and ultimately decided not to attend (although according to Tom, Alan fully approved of it). I daresay if there were any colleagues of Glenn in the crowd, they would have been asked to speak. Dreamer and I were probably the only people in that crowd who had even conversed with Glenn Frey, much less knew him.

Brooke
10-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Soda and Dreamer, thank you so much for filling us in. What a disaster! I'm just glad you actually got to see the unveiling! I'm also sorry for those that had to leave before even getting to see it.

They should have gotten the statue in before they set a date for this whole event. Terrible planning, for sure! I hope to make it to Winslow to see it some day!