PDA

View Full Version : Will they play again?

Philh
08-17-2016, 05:38 AM
In a recent interview with Joe, he says that after Glenn's death, he and Don agreed to do their own thing for a year and then revisit the situation to see if the Eagles could continue. This is contrary to what Don said in that the Eagles would not perform again. I don't think the band will continue without Glenn. What is your opinion?

Funk 50
08-17-2016, 06:22 AM
Joe said the Eagles would likely reunite sometime in the future as far back as 1981. He reckoned they'd all miss being in a band. Don apparently said the Eagles would reunite when hell froze over. Who's the more believable.

If Irving comes forward with right offer, I don't see Glenn's death being an obstacle to playing together again. Glenn and Joe toured together in the early nineties.

Don and Joe are as different now as when Joe first joined the Eagles in 1975, they seem incompatible but it worked then, it can work again. If they're going to do a tour sharing the billing with anyone, they are each others obvious choice. If Tim and Bernie are involved too it's an Eagles reunion whatever the official billing states.

Don and Joe are both currently having a great time working with their respective bands

EagleLady
08-17-2016, 07:47 AM
The members might do some projects, but they'll never be The Eagles again.

thelastresort
08-17-2016, 03:10 PM
I concur, I suspect if Don H, Joe and whoever else were to collaborate together in future, which I suppose is entirely possible, it would be released under a different banner, and whether or not people identify it as the Eagles despite it not leagally being so is up to them (there are people who maintain Eagles without Felder isn't the Eagles so everyone has different boundaries). I wouldn't mind seeing Don H and Joe tour together in the same way that Glenn and Joe did, I think there would be a fair amount of mileage in having say Don do ten songs then vacate for Joe to do ten, then both coming back together at the end for six or so Eagles numbers.

As an example, various members of Yes have been together over the years outwith the band doing their new material, and even though all of them have their name heavily associated together as the band, it is still released under their surnames as a separate project.

Freypower
08-17-2016, 06:54 PM
It wouldn't be the Eagles without Glenn.

However, this is Joe's interview:

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/ae-music/20160714/iconic-rocker-joe-walsh-keeps-busy-with-solo-tour-politics

It's up to them, I suppose. I have my own opinion, which is that they should play a one off tribute to Glenn & then resume their own careers. Whatever they do, it will not be billed as 'Eagles'.

It can never be the same again & stating that it is similar to the period when the band was not together is not right.

WS82Classics
08-17-2016, 09:34 PM
I've envisioned the possibility of Don Felder corralling Bernie, Tim and Joe's Walsh & Vitale into touring and recording as "The New Eagles." Henley would probably sue before that got off the ground, though.

In other words, regarding the topic question, probably not(aside from a prospective one-off tribute show).

MaryCalifornia
08-18-2016, 01:52 AM
I can't envision any scenario in which Joe and Tim ever play with Felder. Why would they? Money? Touring success? They really like him? Nah.

Funk 50
08-18-2016, 04:10 AM
It wouldn't be the Eagles without Glenn.

......It can never be the same again & stating that it is similar to the period when the band was not together is not right.

The Eagles were never the same again after Bernie left then after Randy and even after Felder left. As thelastresort said some fans are adamant that it wasn't the Eagles without Felder.

The only thing that is for certain is that the Eagles cannot play with Glenn again... well not in this world.

thelastresort
08-18-2016, 05:39 AM
I can't envision any scenario in which Joe and Tim ever play with Felder. Why would they? Money? Touring success? They really like him? Nah.

Indeed, I don't believe he's spoken to either in the last 15 years.

EagleLady
08-18-2016, 08:15 AM
The Eagles were never the same again after Bernie left then after Randy and even after Felder left. As thelastresort said some fans are adamant that it wasn't the Eagles without Felder.

The only thing that is for certain is that the Eagles cannot play with Glenn again... well not in this world.

tbh Bernie and Randy weren't the heart of The Eagles, Glenn was.

GlennLover
08-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Henley said this on Aug 2/16:

But Henley does take special care when it comes to the Eagles canon. Henley has referred to The Eagles, whose last studio album, the Grammy-winning Long Road Out of Eden, was released in 2007, as “the mothership” that afforded him the opportunity to go on solo flights to perform his own music. With the tragic death in January of bandmate Glenn Frey, with whom Henley cowrote some of the band’s most enduring songs, including “Desperado,” “Lyin’ Eyes,” and “Tequila Sunrise,” Henley does not foresee the surviving members of the band continuing to perform as The Eagles. Accompanied by Jackson Browne, they played at the Grammy Awards in March in tribute to Frey, and it was most likely the band’s final performance. When asked if he could imagine a reunion to mark the band’s 50th anniversary, à la the Grateful Dead, Henley responded with an unequivocal “no.”

Link to full article: http://backstage.ravinia.org/all/2016/8/2/flying-solo-don-henley-keeps-his-music-close-to-home-and-hea.html

Freypower
08-18-2016, 07:06 PM

Well, thanks for that.

I guess if you think the co-founder, co- chief songwriter & co-lead singer of a band dies & they could continue without anyone noticing, then there is really nothing left to say.

There is no 'Eagles' any more.

Delilah
08-18-2016, 11:25 PM

For old times' sake or to recapture the magic, maybe? I can see Timothy not being invested but Felder and Joe go back a long way, even before Joe became an Eagle. It would certainly create a lot of buzz if they decided to do something together. There are still fans who would like to see it happen.

Funk 50
08-19-2016, 09:42 AM
For old times' sake or to recapture the magic, maybe? I can see Timothy not being invested but Felder and Joe go back a long way, even before Joe became an Eagle. It would certainly create a lot of buzz if they decided to do something together. There are still fans who would like to see it happen.

I don't believe Walsh and Felder go back further than the Eagles. Joe was working with Frey, Henley and Miesner, before he teamed up with Felder, on Dan Fogelberg's Souvenirs and his own So What albums. They shared Azoff and Szymczyk too.

Felder played on Joe's pre-Eagles live album, You Can't Argue with A Sick Mind but so did Henley and Frey. Since learning that later collaborations between the two, Told You So and Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) were The Long Run rejects, I now also believe that At The Station and maybe even Second Hand Store were earlier Eagles rejects too. Joey Murcia was the second guitarist on But Seriously Folks! rather than Felder. They played together on a couple of Joe Vitale tracks too but Vitale was also under the Eagles wing at the time.

If you list the musicians that Walsh has worked with over the duration of his career, it's debatable whether Felder would make the top 50 artists.

I'd say I'm open to Joe working with anyone in the future, Felder's better than nothing but there are so many better options.

I'm just pondering what a Felder/Walsh set list would be now :roll:

Eagles7
08-20-2016, 03:02 AM
Walsh and Felder played together on Don Kirshner's show several times before Joe was in the Eagles.

My ultimate vision would be all six remaining Eagles get together and do some shows, but what I would probably enjoy just as much is the reunion of Felder and Walsh on stage together.

I am one of many who think some of the most memorable moments of Eagles history were the amazing guitar match ups of Don and Joe. Not only did they push each other to be the best, they also looked like they were having so dang much fun, and I miss that.

Also, side note: I don't understand why there are some posters who speak so Ill of Don Felder. I have some views of certain things that went down in the band, but I respect all 7 Eagles for what they bought to the game, and I'm not going to put any of them down. If you don't appreciate Felder, You'd need to cut out a good chunk of Eagles music that Felder played lead guitar on, wrote music and guitar solos for, (not to mention radiated his sexiness on the stage. :cheers: ) That band would never have been the same without him, just like it wouldn't have been the same without any of the other six Eagles. It would be nice to celebrate them all or at least just cut Felder some slack and hold up on the digs, please.

Annoying Twit
08-20-2016, 04:15 AM
Well, thanks for that.

I guess if you think the co-founder, co- chief songwriter & co-lead singer of a band dies & they could continue without anyone noticing, then there is really nothing left to say.

There is no 'Eagles' any more.

I don't think that anyone was talking about 'without anyone noticing' or continuing on as if it was business as usual. However, if Don H thought it appropriate, then one-off performances would not be unreasonable IMHO. However, I'm pretty sure that Don H doesn't want to.

Remember that things can change. 'Hell Freezes Over' was named for a reason.

My prediction is that Eagles will never play again.

UndertheWire
08-20-2016, 05:49 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see some combination of Henley, Joe, Timothy and Bernie playing together, with a Henley-Walsh tour seeming the most likely.

I don't see any of them playing with Felder unless they were to break with Azoff and give up on working with Henley in the future.

Joe has spoken about how much he enjoys playing with and off Waddy Watchel on his current tour. Maybe he's looking for a similar challenge to working with Felder without the hassles. Any comments about this pairing from those who love duelling guitars?

Azoff managed both Joe and the Eagles. I've read that having members of the Eagles play and sing with Joe was part of the preparation for Joe eventually joining the Eagles.

The latest from Don Henley link (http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/08/19/don-henley-still-guy-after-all-these-years/88755320/):

I’m speaking of us in the past tense now, because we don’t exist anymore, with Glenn Frey’s untimely passing.

BillBailey1976
08-22-2016, 02:09 PM
My Vision of an "Eagles Celebration" would be the remaining members who are able, (I know Randy has had some health issues) do a scaled down set, Just those guys, no additional back ups. Play their leads, and when it comes to Glenn's leads, have a few close and special friends honor him with lead performances, such as Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, Bob Seger, etc.
I admit, I have had different opinions, seemingly monthly, on how something like this should or could be accomplished.
This though is one I keep coming back to. Simple, honoring to Glenn, and also giving the fans a little taste of the Eagles. Even if it were for just a one time special.

I'm not sure I see any of the remaining guys touring as an act. Maybe together, separate sets, then doing a few Eagles tracks in encore.

I could have however, seen Don and Glenn doing a "Plant and Paige" type deal had the Eagles not kept touring after HFO.

UndertheWire
09-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Hmm...

MG: Could you see yourself in a situation where those songs are performed again, whether it’s you and Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh working with Jackson Browne on a one-off like you did at the Grammys, or something else?
DH:(Pauses) At some point in the future, we might work our way around to that. You know, Glenn has a son who can sing and play quite well. And one of the only things that would make sense to me is if it were his son. With Jackson, of course, we could do Take It Easy and a couple other things, but the only way I would consider any kind of reunion, I think, would be with Glenn’s son, Deacon. But there have been no discussions along those lines, and we’re still going through the healing process — trying to get through all this. And those are things that might happen somewhere down the road. But right now, everybody’s doing the solo thing. Timothy’s got a new album coming out, and Joe has been on the road in conjunction with Bad Company. And I think Timothy plans to go on the road. So we’re all just doing our thing.
http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/qa-don-henley-on-growing-up-in-cass-county-eagles-and-coping-with-the-loss-of-glenn-frey

Funk 50
09-11-2016, 04:48 AM
"Nepotism Incorporated" 2009

Jet Airliner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8xeQWBZL4U

Hotel California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2_71tIOMw

Gemma Corfield has posted the whole set; https://www.youtube.com/user/gemmacorfield2/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=1&view=0

chaim
09-11-2016, 06:47 AM
"Nepotism Incorporated" 2009

Jet Airliner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8xeQWBZL4U

Hotel California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2_71tIOMw

Gemma Corfield has posted the whole set; https://www.youtube.com/user/gemmacorfield2/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=1&view=0

Looking at Jet Airliner. One thing I love(d) about Glenn is that he was so into the music even when he was playing a supporting role. When somebody else was singing, Glenn wasn't making "look, I'm here too" movements and trying to make contact with the audience. He was totally into the song. You can see what I'm talking about at 1:02 mark in the Jet Liner clip. I've seen that before and I love it.

GlennLover
09-11-2016, 07:45 AM
LOL! Glenn was such a card!

Ive always been a dreamer
09-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Thank for posting that link UTW (:hmm: seems like I say that a lot, but you and our other members research efforts are truly appreciated! :thumbsup:) This was a fantastic interview. It also offers me a glimmer of hope that we may eventually see the band join together again in the only way it could, IMO. Of course, no one can or will ever replace Glenn, but, for me, Deacon stepping in to perform his father's songs is about the only scenario that I can envision myself wanting to see. I am glad that Don agrees with me. :wink: :grin: Hopefully, it is something that Deacon would be able and willing to do sometime down the road, but I don't want to get my hopes too high at this point - time will tell.

And F50 - thanks for the 'Nepotism Incorporated' videos. I was at that show with Soda and WildThyme and it was wonderful. You can see Soda in the videos - we were right at Glenn's feet and Soda can be seen dancing up a storm. I couldn't spot myself or WildThyme - I think we were too short to make it from that angle. Deacon was very young then, but definitely has a lot of talent.

shunlvswx
09-11-2016, 02:46 PM
What I'm about to post is only my opinion.

I know Deacon would have big shoes to fill to step into his father's shoes, but I think Deacon might say yes if Don ask him and if the guys decide to go back on the road together down the road. IMO I think it would happen even if its next year or in two years. I know I would go.

OF course nobody and I mean nobody can replace Glenn, but Deacon probably knows that and he knows he would have big shoes to fill if Don and the others decided to do that.

It is interesting that Don thought of that, but like all of us. We are still in the healing process. WE all still in the I can't believe he's gone phase.

KCH will definitely a sad and bittersweet night knowing we might not see them together again for a while.

buffyfan145
09-11-2016, 04:17 PM
I was in a way surprised by Don's suggestion about Deacon but I too feel like he would be the only one that could. I don't know if he would which is why I was surprised Don said that. Going by how long it took Dhani Harrison to be ok with singing his father George's songs after the "Concert for George" I didn't even think of Deacon filling in. Dhani's more comfortable with it now and even hosts "Georgefest" and I've heard him perform a lot of Beatles and his father's solo songs now. It is eerie too as Dhani not only resembles his father but his singing voice is almost identical, which is also why I think it took him a long time to be ok with it. But it's different for everyone. I agree with Shun too if it were to happen I would go too.

GlennLover
09-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Kudos to Deacon that Don thinks he has the talent to play with the Eagles. We all know how high their standards are!

shunlvswx
09-11-2016, 04:57 PM
I was in a way surprised by Don's suggestion about Deacon but I too feel like he would be the only one that could. I don't know if he would which is why I was surprised Don said that. Going by how long it took Dhani Harrison to be ok with singing his father George's songs after the "Concert for George" I didn't even think of Deacon filling in. Dhani's more comfortable with it now and even hosts "Georgefest" and I've heard him perform a lot of Beatles and his father's solo songs now. It is eerie too as Dhani not only resembles his father but his singing voice is almost identical, which is also why I think it took him a long time to be ok with it. But it's different for everyone. I agree with Shun too if it were to happen I would go too.

I was thinking back on when Deacon sing and played with I think it was JD at his father's memorial service this past February. It was probably so hard for Deacon to sing and play at his father's memorial, but he made it through. He didn't have to do it, but he did. That's why I think Deacon might do it. He probably would think its an honor to sing and play with the guys he basically knew all his life. Don must see something in Deacon to even suggest him.

Freypower
09-11-2016, 05:51 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dhani didn't sing lead on any of George's songs. He sang backup. I know that he has sung these songs since but I don't think it's an analogy I would care to use. Glenn had a far stronger, more powerful voice than George did.

Deacon is not his father, nor was he meant to be. If this is to occur I would only wish for a one off tribute performance. I could not envisage a tour & I'm not in favour of it. That is my view & now I will refrain from further comment on this issue. It hurts me too much to even be discussing such a thing.

Annoying Twit
09-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Hmm...

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/qa-don-henley-on-growing-up-in-cass-county-eagles-and-coping-with-the-loss-of-glenn-frey

That's an interesting comment by Don H. I wouldn't hold out expectations for anything happening too soon, but it doesn't sound as if it's impossible. T'would be a fair amount of pressure on Frey junior, however. As others said, big shoes to fill.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-11-2016, 06:40 PM
AT - I agree with you that this isn't anything that will happen anytime in the near future, nor would I want it to ... it's still way too soon for that, IMHO. But, down the road, maybe this time next year or in 2018, it may be something I'd look forward to. I agree it would be some pressure on Deacon, but he has seen his father on stage since he was born, so I think in that sense, I don't see it as a huge adjustment. As I said in my earlier post, Glenn can never be replaced in the band nor do I think this would be an attempt to do so. It would never be the same, but if anyone can stand in for him and perform his songs, for me, Deacon is the only acceptable choice. I wouldn't envision this being a world tour or anything on that scale, but rather a mini tribute tour to honor Glenn and the band.

In any event, at this point, it is pure speculation so we'll just have to take a 'wait and see' attitude.

GlennLover
09-11-2016, 07:41 PM
AT - I agree with you that this isn't anything that will happen anytime in the near future, nor would I want it to ... it's still way too soon for that, IMHO. But, down the road, maybe this time next year or in 2018, it may be something I'd look forward to. I agree it would be some pressure on Deacon, but he has seen his father on stage since he was born, so I think in that sense, I don't see it as a huge adjustment. As I said in my earlier post, Glenn can never be replaced in the band nor do I think this would be an attempt to do so. It would never be the same, but if anyone can stand in for him and perform his songs, for me, Deacon is the only acceptable choice. I wouldn't envision this being a world tour or anything on that scale, but rather a mini tribute tour to honor Glenn and the band.

In any event, at this point, it is pure speculation so we'll just have to take a 'wait and see' attitude.

I agree with Dreamer & FP. I think that if it did happen it should only be a one off performance or a very limited tour.

buffyfan145
09-11-2016, 09:35 PM
In regards to Dhani Harrison I've been a fan of his band thenewno2 since 2009 and in the early years it used to bug so many of us Two fans that some wanted him to sing his father's songs. He used to avoid answering questions about it and we all knew it bothered him and he was trying to promote his own work and band. It's changed over the years for him for the better and it just got me worrying that Deacon could go through the same thing. That's again why I was shocked Don said it. But I agree that is a very high compliment from Don and I too think it would be more of a limited performance.

Delilah
09-11-2016, 10:07 PM
What I'm about to post is only my opinion.

I know Deacon would have big shoes to fill to step into his father's shoes, but I think Deacon might say yes if Don ask him and if the guys decide to go back on the road together down the road. IMO I think it would happen even if its next year or in two years. I know I would go.

I would want to go too. At the same time, this subject makes me sad. Maybe it has to do with it being 9/11 and I've been kind of sad all day. I wonder if Don actually discussed this with anyone or if he was just thinking out loud.

UndertheWire
09-12-2016, 03:57 AM
In a recent interview, Timothy said they were starting to heal and I think this is an indiciation that Don is beginning to heal. In the early days, it seemed impossible that they could play again but it sounds like Don is wondering about ways to continue in some way.

I find it hard to imagine them just going on tour but with Deacon taking Glenn's parts. Who would taken on the parts that Glenn did behind the scenes? Would everything be preserved as it was or would they try new material and arrangements?

How would Deacon feel about becoming a clone of his father? I assume he has ambitions of his own and probably becoming a tribute act for his own father isn't one of them.

A tribute show, or limited series of shows would be a different. We had a long thread where we talked about that. A show with guests like Jackson Browne and JD Souther as well as Deacon, would seem fitting, especially if the profits were directed towards causes that Glenn supported. Just as they decided that it was appropriate for the remaining band members to perform at the Grammy rather than have someone like Lady Gaga, perhaps they would feel that any bigger to tribute should be equally personal.

Maybe they'll get together and talk about it in January.

maryc2130
09-12-2016, 10:55 AM
In a recent interview, Timothy said they were starting to heal and I think this is an indiciation that Don is beginning to heal. In the early days, it seemed impossible that they could play again but it sounds like Don is wondering about ways to continue in some way.

I find it hard to imagine them just going on tour but with Deacon taking Glenn's parts. Who would taken on the parts that Glenn did behind the scenes? Would everything be preserved as it was or would they try new material and arrangements?

How would Deacon feel about becoming a clone of his father? I assume he has ambitions of his own and probably becoming a tribute act for his own father isn't one of them.

A tribute show, or limited series of shows would be a different. We had a long thread where we talked about that. A show with guests like Jackson Browne and JD Souther as well as Deacon, would seem fitting, especially if the profits were directed towards causes that Glenn supported. Just as they decided that it was appropriate for the remaining band members to perform at the Grammy rather than have someone like Lady Gaga, perhaps they would feel that any bigger to tribute should be equally personal.

Maybe they'll get together and talk about it in January.

I agree that a tribute show or a limited series of show as you mention would work. They're probably just beginning to discuss possibilities.

Having Deacon singing some or all of Glenn's parts on at least a short tour would really be great for his career, even if he didn't want to do it long term. And let's face it, the Eagles (or whatever they're called without Glenn) most likely won't be doing anything long term at this stage. :sad: I have to think Glenn would be smiling at Deacon singing his parts, which is I think at least part of why Don's considering it.

thelastresort
09-12-2016, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to a one-off gig with Deacon primarily replacing Glenn and perhaps some old friends like JD and Jackson making guest appearances for some songs, as perhaps one final farewell, maybe with proceeds from the evening going to causes that were close to Glenn. I would hate it if the final apperance we ever saw from arguably America's greatest band was them playing one song in the most downcast and sombre mood any of them had probably been in for years: if there could just be one proper final act, one last goodbye then I think that may be the right thing to do. A marathon where they play all of their hits and perhaps a couple of covers as a tribute (not of Glenn's discography, just poignant songs) with Glenn's apprentice at the helm is probably the way to end the Eagles story.

Brooke
09-12-2016, 04:25 PM
I wondered why no one had commented on Don's statement in the other thread! It has it's own! lol

I will just copy here what I said there-

I can't say I would like that at all, but that's just me. I just can't see the Eagles without Glenn, whether they would call themselves the Eagles or not. I don't know...

And, I can't even imagine wanting to go see them without Glenn. Nothing against Deacon, but he just isn't Glenn. I guess they could do a one time thing..............:shrug:

Witchy Woman
09-12-2016, 11:21 PM
I think too much is being made of Don's comment about Deacon. I interpreted it to mean if they were going to perform again they would like to include him, as he can sing and play rather well himself. I did not get the impression he meant any kind of tour, only if they were to perform together, not necessarily under The Eagles moniker. It would be nice if they did something on the first anniversary of Glenn's death. But I wouldn't read any more into it, as Don has stated several times that The Eagles are over.

AlreadyGone95
09-13-2016, 12:03 AM
I doubt that they'll ever tour again. As far as I see it, the band doesn't exist anymore, but it's music and legacy, and Glenn's as well, do live on. I would like to see a proper tribute concert sometime down the road, which would be recorded and released on DVD/Blu-ray.

Dawn
04-24-2017, 01:41 AM
Back to the Future.

Annoying Twit
04-24-2017, 03:34 PM
I'm in this thread, and other ones, predicting that Eagles will never play again. But, hindsight is always 20/20. I really thought it unlikely.

LuvTim
04-24-2017, 05:53 PM
I also thought it unlikely. I was as surprised as anyone when these two East/West concerts were announced.

maryc2130
04-24-2017, 10:12 PM
I guess now the question is: Will they play again after the East/West concerts? I wonder if they've decided that, or they're just waiting to see how these shows go, or if they're just planning to do those two shows.

Annoying Twit
04-25-2017, 03:36 AM
I would guess that if they're going to play these concerts that they will play again. But, that's only a guess and I have nothing really to back up this supposition.

Funk 50
04-25-2017, 04:38 AM
I guess now the question is: Will they play again after the East/West concerts? I wonder if they've decided that, or they're just waiting to see how these shows go, or if they're just planning to do those two shows.

Well the precedent is set. Eagles did several of these type of show in the 70s but very rarely since HFO. I'm pleased that they'll be playing to general (rich) rock fans rather than just (rich) Eagles fans. They've been quite aloof since the resumption. I hope they do more, especially if it's professionally screened on TV or the internet.

Will Classic East /West be filmed or even broadcast?

Don and Joe both say they hope their best work is in front of them, rather than behind them. I hope some of that is as Eagles. I skipped the HOTE Tour but I'd probably be up for a "Remnants" show if they play semi-locally. ;-)

sodascouts
04-29-2017, 04:56 PM
So strange to go back and reread this thread. Some had the way of it exactly and didn't even realize it, and some were completely wrong in their estimation of what they were sure would never, ever happen. I would like to think that we have all learned a lesson about projecting onto strangers but I'm sure we haven't learned a thing.
redstorm1968, I have learned a lesson from it. I have learned that I grossly misjudged Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit. I was so sure they wouldn't do this. I was so wrong.

I guess I should feel foolish, but instead I just feel sad.

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Objectively I would say that they will play again. I think they will use the classic festivals as an opportunity to test the waters to see how an arrangement without Glenn :heart: will be received. There are still enough people out there who missed their chance to see the band previously and who wont care what the lineup is. Therefore east/west will be a success.

They will have put too much rehearsal into East/West to give up after it. So I think they will do a US tour later in the year and if things go well will expand on it. Its just what I think. I reserve judgement on whether it is appropriate or now

TW
05-03-2017, 05:46 PM
I also think that they will continue after the Classic. I don't think it's a good idea, but a probable one.

New Kid In Town
05-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Ditto, I also agree. East/West will test the waters for continuing. If I remember right, Don even stated the same thing saying if the festival worked out they would consider continue touring together. Which I took to mean they have already consider to do so. The East/West Festival keeps popping up on my FB feed and I would say half the people posting say they want to see them while stating it will not be the same without Glenn.

StephUK
05-11-2017, 08:44 PM
I'm still struggling to accept this. How can they ever sound like the Eagles without Glenn's vocals? Even if they dropped all the songs on which Glenn sang lead vocals, and Don took over Glenn's part on songs where they shared lead vocals, what about the harmonies? Take a real good listen to 'After the thrill is gone' (a fine example) before you answer the question.

I know people will say that the Eagles had line-up changes in the past i.e Bernie & Randy, who left a long time ago, and Don Felder's who was sacked & not replaced, but to me it's not the same. They'd just celebrated 40 years of the Eagles. Don & Glenn are the only 2 Eagles who had done the full 40 years. I mean no disrespect to Timothy and Joe, who were truly Eagles! I'm just stating a fact.

As I said previously, I don't have a problem with Don, Timothy & Joe performing together, just not under the Eagles name. If they performed as Henley, Smitt & Walsh, that would be acknowledging that without Glenn they can't sound the same.

Maybe some of you will think I'm being pedantic about this, but it's how I feel.

p.s. Being a fan of Will Hollis as well as being a long - time Eagles fan, gives me a dilemma; I don't want to support the continued use of the name 'Eagles' by going to any future shows where they perform under that name, but this means I'll have to miss out on seeing and hearing Will. Although I can still go to Don's solo shows and see Will. I guess that'll just have to do.

Dawn
05-12-2017, 02:40 AM
After months of speculation regarding the identity of the new additions to the bands lineup:

Don Henley has proclaimed:

A. Formal. Announcement. Is. Coming.

:steviesmack:

Funk 50
05-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Henley said, Glenn wont be there but the songs are the same. Many years ago he described the Eagles as a mutt or mongrel band. Their sound has evolved throughout their career .
One of the great strengths of the band is their ability to perform tracks as diverse as Turn To Stone, Life's Been Good. Desperado, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, , Smuggler's Blues, Lying Eyes, Take It To The Limit etc, etc during the same show.

As age weakens their vocals, I think it's a blessing that they are able to play songs that aren't so reliable on having exceptional vocal ability.

The use of the Eagles name is based motivated by finance and prestige. In the last few years Joe has supported Bob Seger and Tom Petty. Don has been billed below Carol King. As Eagles they'd top the bill. If Joe, Tim and Don played two identical shows, one billed as Henley, Schmit, Walsh and the other billed as Eagles, the Eagles show would earn them loads more money.

It took a lot of work, by all of them, to achieve that level of pulling power, they'd be idiots to chuck it away after Glenn's death.

If the Classic East / West shows are deemed a success, the likelihood is that they'll play further shows. If they are disappointing, I don't think the band will crawl under a stone and hide, I think they'll play more shows to attempt to prove any critics wrong.

I'm not bothered by the billing. I just hope that they put on a good show. I don't know what Don means, when he say's that they're not replacing Glenn. They had about 10 musicians on stage when Glenn was alive. I presume that Glenn's great guitar solo in I Can't Tell You Why will still get played. :shrug:

I hope they finish with 3 or 4 of Glenn's songs to celebrate his career.

New Kid In Town
05-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Funk - Just MHO but I would bet my bank account they have already made the decision to tour. They will wait until they feel it is the "right" time to announce it.

Freypower
05-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Henley said, Glenn wont be there but the songs are the same. Many years ago he described the Eagles as a mutt or mongrel band. Their sound has evolved throughout their career .
One of the great strengths of the band is their ability to perform tracks as diverse as Turn To Stone, Life's Been Good. Desperado, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, , Smuggler's Blues, Lying Eyes, Take It To The Limit etc, etc during the same show.

As age weakens their vocals, I think it's a blessing that they are able to play songs that aren't so reliable on having exceptional vocal ability.

The use of the Eagles name is based motivated by finance and prestige. In the last few years Joe has supported Bob Seger and Tom Petty. Don has been billed below Carol King. As Eagles they'd top the bill. If Joe, Tim and Don played two identical shows, one billed as Henley, Schmit, Walsh and the other billed as Eagles, the Eagles show would earn them loads more money.

It took a lot of work, by all of them, to achieve that level of pulling power, they'd be idiots to chuck it away after Glenn's death.

If the Classic East / West shows are deemed a success, the likelihood is that they'll play further shows. If they are disappointing, I don't think the band will crawl under a stone and hide, I think they'll play more shows to attempt to prove any critics wrong.

I'm not bothered by the billing. I just hope that they put on a good show. I don't know what Don means, when he say's that they're not replacing Glenn. They had about 10 musicians on stage when Glenn was alive. I presume that Glenn's great guitar solo in I Can't Tell You Why will still get played. :shrug:

I hope they finish with 3 or 4 of Glenn's songs to celebrate his career.

Once again you just brush Glenn himself aside as if he didn't matter. Well, I have news for you. He DID matter. He will ALWAYS matter & it doesn't matter how these people try & cover it up. He cannot be replaced in any adequate fashion. They can say what they like. And your last comment read even more like he would be considered an afterthought. It wouldn't bother you or those like you at all if the man were not even mentioned.

Honestly, I try my best to bypass posts like this. I read the new posts in the 'Eagles 3.0' thread & let it be. Just occasionally however the mind numbing tedium of these casual dismissals of Glenn Frey force me to respond. It is click bait, I know. It's said deliberately. It goes on & on & on. I just get very tired of it. I get tired of having to metaphorically bite my tongue. I know Glenn Frey fans no longer matter. It pains me to be reminded of it every single time a post like this is made.

And I guess it's just as tedious for those like you who agree with all this to have me complaining about it. Fair enough, I guess. I will say just this; if some effort, anything AT ALL, had been made to give Glenn Frey's fans something to remember him by, perhaps we (or me) would feel less bitter, less ignored, less - there is no other word - betrayed.

Now I really have expressed how I feel on this issue. It is time I ended it. I can change nothing.

chaim
05-13-2017, 04:48 AM
I have tried to not let the fact that I'm a Glenn fan spoil the fun for those who enjoy the band continuing. But I've noticed that people are just pushed (by some) to the "biased, blindly adoring, fanatic lunatics" pen whenever they see anything from Glenn's point of view. Anyway, although personally I won't participate in any "3.0" discussion anymore, Freypower has my sympathy, support or whatever the correct word is and I'm glad that she's still not afraid to express how she feels about it. 8)

VillageGirl
05-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Not to be a pain, but I don't think this is the Eagles 3.0 thread. Not that it makes a difference really.

I have no comment as I am not sure what just happened.

However, I will ask how you are feeling Chain. Is that flu finally gone? I hope so! Sounded awful!

chaim
05-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Not to be a pain, but I don't think this is the Eagles 3.0 thread. Not that it makes a difference really.

However, I will ask how you are feeling Chain. Is that flu finally gone? I hope so! Sounded awful!

Thanks for asking. No, it's not gone.

Freypower
05-13-2017, 07:37 PM

No it isn't.

What I said was I noted the new posts in that thread and refrained from commenting on them. I commented here, because I got finally frustrated to the point of wanting to scream at the way F50 brushes Glenn aside. I also indicated that I am done with it. I just had to clarify this point. Apologies. But thank you, Toni. In the words of some other great geniuses, it's gonna get better for me as I leave this behind.

Funk 50
05-14-2017, 05:56 AM
No it isn't.

What I said was I noted the new posts in that thread and refrained from commenting on them. I commented here, because I got finally frustrated to the point of wanting to scream at the way F50 brushes Glenn aside. I also indicated that I am done with it. I just had to clarify this point. Apologies. But thank you, Toni. In the words of some other great geniuses, it's gonna get better for me as I leave this behind.

The reason I brush Glenn aside is because he is dead. Unless he rises from the grave he is not going to play any further part in the Eagles. It's like that Randy Newman song I Want You To Hurt Like I Do. I'm over Glenn's death. I'm not hurting. I'm looking forward to the future.

FreyFollower
05-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Funk, even if you feel this way, there is no need to express yourself in such an insensitive manner. Even if you're not hurting, you know other people are, especially the one to which you were speaking. You also know she has not been well. I can't imagine telling a grieving person that you brush aside their deceased loved one because you're over it. You could have just said you were focusing on the future. Even so, history matters to a lot of people. Please be kind. It won't cost you a dime.

New Kid In Town
05-14-2017, 11:45 AM
FreyFollower - Thank You for the beautiful post.

GlennLover
05-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Funk, even if you feel this way, there is no need to express yourself in such an insensitive manner. Even if you're not hurting, you know other people are, especially the one to which you were speaking. You also know she has not been well. I can't imagine telling a grieving person that you brush aside their deceased loved one because you're over it. You could have just said you were focusing on the future. Even so, history matters to a lot of people. Please be kind. It won't cost you a dime.

Thank you FreyFollower. I was going to post something this morning, but I didn't have time. You said it far better that I could. Funk50's post was very hurtful.

StephUK
05-14-2017, 07:12 PM

I know the motivation is money, and that's what makes it so distasteful to me. It's not as if they don't have enough! Well, it's said that 'the love of money is the root of all evil'.

Funk 50, you appear to be a very shallow person, or maybe you just like to upset people.

Freypower
05-14-2017, 07:30 PM
The reason I brush Glenn aside is because he is dead. Unless he rises from the grave he is not going to play any further part in the Eagles. It's like that Randy Newman song I Want You To Hurt Like I Do. I'm over Glenn's death. I'm not hurting. I'm looking forward to the future.

'So you finally came right out and said it
What took you so long''? (Phil Collins)

The song to which you refer is a particular favourite of mine. For the record, I do NOT want anyone to hurt like I do. Far from it. What I had hoped was that most people on this board would agree with me that the band should not have continued, and on an even more basic level would at least pay some sort of lip service to Glenn Frey's loss.

I may as well quote Mr Collins again:

'Just leave, oh leave me alone with my dreams
You've taken everything else
You know what I mean'.

Oh, and as for your smug reference to the 'future' which of course condemns people like me to be clinging on to memories while you stride purposefully on, here is someone else who died recently, Leonard Cohen:

'I've seen the future, brother
It is murder'.

Goodbye.

Funk 50
05-15-2017, 07:58 AM

Great post FreyFollower but if you haven't noticed, I am constantly attacked for expressing my opinion. I'm just responding and defending myself. The "brush aside" comment isn't mine, it's one of many fired at me.

I try my best to stick to the issues which means I pay little attention to who is posting, never mind their mental state.

I am "focusing on the future" in a thread that's titled "Will they play again"

Freypower
05-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Great post FreyFollower but if you haven't noticed, I am constantly attacked for expressing my opinion. I'm just responding and defending myself. The "brush aside" comment isn't mine, it's one of many fired at me.

I try my best to stick to the issues which means I pay little attention to who is posting, never mind their mental state.

I am "focusing on the future" in a thread that's titled "Will they play again"

For your information FF was referring to my physical health, not my 'mental state'. I am not going to waste my time explaining this to you. But if you are telling me that you don't ever notice who is posting, you are being extremely disingenuous.

I had written yet another post trying to explain for the umpteenth time why you upset me with your 'Frey didn't matter' stuff. But it's pointless. Maybe once this farce has occurred you might realise what is wrong with it, but I doubt it.

Funk 50
05-16-2017, 06:45 AM
I don't remember posting that 'Frey didn't matter'. I thought he was band leader when he was alive :shrug:

Midnight Visitor
05-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Yes, they will play again. Yes, Glenn's son will play with them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/glen-freys-son-is-going-to-replace-his-dad-on-an-eagles-tour_us_591b65e5e4b041db896519e4

StephUK
05-17-2017, 02:03 PM
I thought it might be Deacon. How do you all feel about that?

Funk 50
05-19-2017, 05:15 AM
Personally, Steph UK, it's as interesting to me as a new member of the backing band. I'll be quite shocked if Deacon and the secret special guest get to sing Glenn's full compliment of songs. Two or three, four at the most, between them is my guess. :shrug:

I expect Henley to take over Glenn's roll as mc and Henley and Walsh to do the majority of the lead vocals.

Delilah
05-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Yes, they will play again. Yes, Glenn's son will play with them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/glen-freys-son-is-going-to-replace-his-dad-on-an-eagles-tour_us_591b65e5e4b041db896519e4

Yep, I agree. The question has been answered--I'm not sure why this thread is still going? :headscratch: Esp. with two other threads addressing the same topic; it gets redundant...:dizzy:

sodascouts
05-19-2017, 10:49 AM
It always makes me chuckle a bit when someone posting in a thread asks why it's still going. You're answering your own question!

Still, it is true there is more than one thread on this topic. I suppose it could be merged with Eagles 3.0, but the problem is that this thread was started before all of that.... I'll think about it.

Delilah
05-19-2017, 11:20 AM
It always makes me chuckle a bit when someone posting in a thread asks why it's still going. You're answering your own question!

Still, it is true there is more than one thread on this topic. I suppose it could be merged with Eagles 3.0, but the problem is that this thread was started before all of that.... I'll think about it.

Lol, I realize making a comment means that I'm doing my own part...but maybe if someone spoke up...if I may offer a suggestion, I think that this topic really is different from the Classic Concert/Eagles 3.0 discussion but it started veering off...in my view perhaps it should stay separate but closed. Although if anyone had any more insight about the actual question "Will they play again", it would be unfortunate to not be able to read/discuss it.

Dawn
05-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Honestly, I hope Deacon doesnt look back on this one day and wonder if he should have taken a pass.

Funk 50
05-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Positively, I hope it's the greatest day(s) of Deacons's life... so far.

I think the question "Will they play again?" is almost certain to crop up again. Certainly this August. It looks like they will.

I'm interested to see what changes, if any, now Glenn's no longer running the show, will occur. Such as, Will all the band still be on stage at all times during the concert? Will they adopt a policy to always play at least one new or previously not performed track?

Dawn
05-20-2017, 11:05 AM

I think the question "Will they play again?" is almost certain to crop up again. Certainly this August. It looks like they will.

I'm interested to see what changes, if any, now Glenn's no longer running the show, will occur. Such as, Will all the band still be on stage at all times during the concert? Will they adopt a policy to always play at least one new or previously not performed track?

Being a member of a legendary band that has some fans questionining "what's next" and not in a positive tone e.g. more "Replacement Children"? is a legitimate concern as is the question of will Glenn's replacement make more than TBS, SS and JW or at least as much as DH? What about Guest Artists? How do they fit into revising the band's policy to compensate for the use of their "talent" to supplement the Eagles brand? And lets not forget merchandise sales/licensing how is that going to work out with some of the big names we've seen as potential additions e.g. Seger, Browne, Souther, etc?

Delilah
05-20-2017, 12:18 PM

I'm interested to see what changes, if any, now Glenn's no longer running the show, will occur.

Good point. My concern is that this will devolve into simply another opportunity to take snipey digs against the Remaining 3. If so, then I'm out.

Dawn
05-20-2017, 12:33 PM
What's happening in August?

StephUK
05-20-2017, 02:41 PM

I'm sorry if I posed this question in the wrong thread.
Everyone here knows where I stand - no Glenn, no Eagles, but as others feel differently I just wondered what they thought about Deacon appearing. That's all.

Funk 50
05-21-2017, 05:24 AM
What's happening in August?

The Classic concerts will be over and the question. Will they play again will surface again.

I've no idea what the incoming guests are going to contribute. Henley is still singing and writing great, Tim's voice is getting better with age and Joe's guitar playing is still exceptional. I hope the live set list shifts to reflect and highlight these attributes, dragging them out of the legacy market.

I don't think Deacon is a being lined up as a direct replacement for Glenn. A precedent will be set though. Don, Joe and Tim all have musical offspring too. I wonder if they're now making preparations to become future Eagles. :

It was Henley's wedding anniversary yesterday. I'm guessing that that was the last time all the band got together outside Eagles obligations, which will happen again, this year, at Henley's birthday party. It'd be great to see them playing together again outside the confines of the band in the future. It happened lots in the 70s, very rarely, if at all, since HFO. There's even question marks about Long Road Out Of Eden!

GlennLover
05-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Don was adamant that Glenn was not being & could not be "replaced", but the press have chosen to report Deacon's appearance otherwise, from what I see in most of the headlines I get in Google alerts. :unimpressed::depressed: