PDA

View Full Version : Billboard Action

Delilah
08-20-2016, 03:04 PM
For the week ending tomorrow in 1982, the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts show the Eagles still making their presence known, despite the band's break-up. Don Henley's first appearance as a solo artist results in 3 different Eagles on the charts at the same time:
Don-"Johnny Can't Read" enters at #80 (peaks at #43);
Randy-"Never Been in Love" #50 (peaks at #28 )
Glenn-"The One You Love" enters at #87 (peaks at #15); "I Found Somebody" #91 (peaked at #31).

Timothy ups the ante the following month when his "So Much in Love" enters the Hot 100 which makes 4 different Eagles on the charts at once. Quite impressive in my view and to my knowledge it doesn't happen again. This shows the breadth of talent in the group and makes me curious if this has happened with other bands (the Beatles maybe?).

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1982-08-21

Funk 50
08-21-2016, 05:53 PM
I bought about a dozen records from that chart! about 20 if you include album tracks. I wouldn't even say it's an especially good chart.

Genesis and Peter Gabriel were 1 and 2 in the album charts, around 1987 with So and Invisible Touch, just over a decade after they went their separate ways. Yhat's not even mentioning all Phil Collins' hits and Mike And The Mechanics.

Joe Walsh saw some chart action in the early eighties too with Life Of illusion and All Night Long. I'm not sure about Space Age Whiz Kids, with it's cheapo video and I Can Play that Rock'n'Roll with the vid of Joe trashing his hotel room. His cover of Love Letters was the single in the UK. I don't think it charted. I've also got a Walsh single, Waffle Stomp (c/w Things) which was on the Fast Times At Ridgemount High soundtrack along with Tim's, So Much In Love, Don H's, Love Rules and Don F's, Never Surrender.

In the UK, Don had major hits with Boys Of Summer and The End Of The Innocence and a lesser hit with Sunset Grill. Glenn's The Heat Is On was massive.

It didn't have any chart success but Journey Of the Sorcerer found 80s fame as the Radio and TV theme to BBC's Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Delilah
08-22-2016, 12:42 AM
Yes, Genesis and the Beatles (and possibly other bands) definitely saw multiple members go on to varying levels of solo success (chart-wise speaking). The main point of my post is that a couple of different Eagles charted at the same time.

You are correct that other Eagles made the charts during the '80s:

1980- Joe "All Night Long" #19; Randy "Deep Inside My Heart" #22
1981- Joe "A Life of Illusion" #31; Randy "Hearts on Fire" #19; Don F "Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)" #43
1982 discussed above; plus Don H "Dirty Laundry" #3
1983 Joe "Space Age Whiz Kids" #52; Glenn "All Those Lies" #41; Don H "I Can't Stand Still" #48
1984-85 Glenn and Don H had 9 charted singles between them (I will list if anyone is interested)
1986-87 Timothy had a #25 hit with "Boys' Night Out" in '87
1988 Glenn "True Love" #13
1989 Don H "The End of the Innocence" #8 and "The Last Worthless Evening" #21; Glenn "Livin' Right" #90; Randy (as lead vocal) "Nothin' to Hide" by Poco #39
Various other singles were released and either didn't chart or didn't make the top 100. I was planning to address solo albums next month when another bit of a milestone occurs.

Reviewing these 80s charts definitely took me back down memory lane!:spin:

BillBailey1976
08-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Just from their solo stuff, I could see 3 really good 80's Eagles albums, not to mention the stuff they'd have been collaborating on!!! Shame.

Freypower
08-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Regarding Genesis & Gabriel, Sledgehammer replaced Invisible Touch at #1 on the singles charts, so that is 'at the same time'.

Delilah
08-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Thank you for the info, Freypower. I figured there would be some similar examples. I'm still inclined to believe no one had more than the Eagles, except possibly the Beatles.

travlnman2
08-22-2016, 10:18 PM
What do you folks think of Heavy Metal(Taking a Ride)? I never listend to it

Freypower
08-23-2016, 02:04 AM

It's a decent song. Henley & possibly Schmit sing backup on it.

Funk 50
08-23-2016, 06:10 AM
Heavy Metal is a Long Run Leftover. It's better than Disco Strangler imho. I'd love to hear the Eagles version of it. I'm sure the addition of Joe Walsh and a top notch lead singer, along with the Henley / Schmit rhythm section, would give it some extra appeal.

It's not up with Heartache Tonight, Life's Been Good or Life In The Fast Lane but Heavy Metal would have been a welcome, up tempo number, to add to the Eagles set list.

Felder's other song from the Heavy Metal Soundtrack, All Of You is one of his better tunes too. I suspect that that was also a Long Run Leftover.

Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride)
https://vk.com/video116561839_164513085

Sorry for going off topic Delilah. Eagles and Genesis could host a top notch festival all by themselves. Their chart statistics are fair but they really can cut it live in concert.

Freypower
08-23-2016, 05:29 PM
The solo members of Genesis (apart from Banks, sadly,and Phillips) not only continued to have solo success through the 80s but Genesis did too; they didn't break up until 1998. Hackett may not have had chart hits but he was very prolific & a big name on the prog scene. Most of the ex-Eagles did not have similar chart success. Schmit wase never sighted on the charts again after 1982 & I don't think Felder made the charts at all; neither did Leadon. Meisner pretty much disappeared after One More Song. And while Glenn had a couple of top 10 hits he never sold many albums. Joe's albums became less & less successful as his problems deepened.

Realistically a festival featuring former members of these bands could only feature Henley, Frey, Walsh, Gabriel, Collins & Rutherford with the Mechanics and possibly Hackett depending on the type of audience. That's not a bad lineup.

Delilah
08-23-2016, 10:18 PM

I like it; I think it's better than "Visions". Even though it was a modest hit, I had never heard it until a couple of months ago.

No need to apologize, Funk 50, I don't mind at all.

I disagree a bit that Randy "pretty much disappeared after One More Song". He did have another solo album after that one that yielded the top 30 hit "Never Been in Love". The first time I ever heard the name "Randy Meisner" was because of hearing this song on the radio back then. Plus he re-joined Poco in the late 80s (I'm not sure if "re-joined" is the right term if he was actually a founding member). The Poco album Legacy was their 2nd (and last) gold album out of about 1000 Poco albums, and Randy was a part of that. Even though he didn't become a household name, he still remained an active musician for several years.

Funk 50
08-24-2016, 06:07 AM
In the UK, a hit single would be an appearance on Top Of The Pops, plus being well inside the top twenty selling singles for at least a week. Anything less than top thirty means the record buying public were not impressed.

In album terms, it's longevity would be more important than how high it reached in the charts. Long Road Out Of Eden was the Eagles first number one album but it disappeared after several weeks. Hotel California charted for years.

I don't know how Randy feels about it but I'm kinda sad about how his career faded after he left the Eagles. He had many attempts at trying to earn some success, with solo albums, Black Tie, Poco, Meisner, Swan & Rich, Rick Roberts, WCR. They all seemed unsatisfactory both artistically and commercially, lasting months rather than years. By the time the Eagles came calling again, I think he'd thrown the towel in.

Timothy paid his dues, when he was young, with Poco and in the pre-HFO 80s. His loyalty to Poco, as his band mates left in search of fame, has subsequently been rewarded.

It's great that Tim, in his 60s, is doing things on his own terms with Expando and Leap Of Faith, without the crippling Billboard Action pressure to contend with.

Delilah
08-24-2016, 10:41 PM
I wish Randy would have had more success post-Eagles but I'm glad he did do something. And the Eagles never did come calling, which made all the difference.

I agree Timothy is in a good place in his musical career; he can do what he wants without answering to anyone. Don F, too, to an extent. It's great that both Dons will be performing into the next year.

Philh
09-02-2016, 04:02 AM
Greatest Hits 71-75 goes back in the Top 40 at no. 35 in the Billboard 200.
Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Eagles' 'Hits' Back to Top 40, 'Stranger Things, Volume Two' Bows
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7495453/eagles-stranger-things-billboard-20

UndertheWire
09-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Here's the rest of it:

— Eagles, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 - No. 35 — The album, released in 1976, jumps back into the top 40, thanks to a 99-cent sale price in the Google Play store. The greatest hits package rises 82-35 with 12,000 units (up 71 percent) and 10,000 copies sold (up 95 percent). Digital downloads made up nearly all of that sales sum for the week (just over 9,000) and the set concurrently climbs 20-6 on the Digital Albums chart.
The rise on the Billboard 200 for Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 gives the set its 61st total week in the top 40. The album spent five weeks at No. 1 in 1976, and has sold 29 million copies in the U.S. according to the Recording Industry Association of America.I posted the who thing so I could ask a question. What's the difference between a unit and a copy sold?

I've read that it's up to the record label to request an audit from the RRIA in order the have an album re-certified, and that labels tend to do that when they have something to sell. GH1 got its 29 million certification in 2006 so it's probably overdue. Do you think they might do it prior to the Kennedy Awards?

Delilah
09-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Good question. This paragraph from the same article may shed some light on it:

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the week’s most popular albums based on their overall consumption. That overall unit figure combines pure album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA).

Also, this from Spin magazine:

There’s been plenty of notable records released this year, but seemingly no amount of great music can fix the industry’s declining album sales. Billboard and Nielsen Music (formerly Nielsen SoundScan) released some midyear 2016 sales data today, and so far, 2016 is the worst year for overall album sales since Nielsen started keeping track in 1991. Consumers bought 100.3 million album units — a number that accounts for digital downloads, CDs, and vinyl — in the first half of 2016, down 13.6 percent compared to the same time period in 2015.
http://www.spin.com/2016/07/2016-album-sales-data-billboard-nielsen-music-worst-year-since-last-year/

I guess the term "copies" refers to pure album sales.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I've read that it's up to the record label to request an audit from the RRIA in order the have an album re-certified, and that labels tend to do that when they have something to sell. GH1 got its 29 million certification in 2006 so it's probably overdue. Do you think they might do it prior to the Kennedy Awards?

Interesting - Yeah, sounds like it should be re-certified if it's been that long. It would seem that it should have sold another million in the last 10 years, especially since Glenn's passing.

Delilah
09-25-2016, 06:48 PM
I'm posting a week later than planned, but I'd like to note that for the week ending September 18, 1982, for the first time, three Eagles have solo albums ranked concurrently among the top 100 of the Billboard 200 album chart:

Glenn Frey, No Fun Aloud #50
Don Henley, I Can't Stand Still #55
Randy Meisner, Randy Meisner #94

I don't believe this ever occurs again after this chart run.
In addition, the Fast Times at Ridgemont High soundtrack ranked #58 the same week. This album contains tracks by Don H ("Love Rules"), Joe ("Waffle Stomp"), Timothy ("So Much in Love") and Don F ("Never Surrender").

The band may have broken up, but these guys were still busy making music and making the charts.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/1982-09-18

Delilah
07-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Greatest Hits 1972-75 re-entered the Billboard Top 200 album chart the week of June 23, 2018 at #196.

It climbed up to #85 (!) the following week although it has dropped to #90 this week. Amazing this album is in the current top 100. It has now spent a total of 231 weeks on this chart.

Greatest Hits Vol. 2 also made a re-appearance. It re-entered the Top 200 the week of June 30, 2018 at #168. It drops to #188 this week. It now has spent a total of 20 weeks on the album chart.

Incidentally, GH 1 peaked at #1 while GH 2 peaked at #52.

Anyway, I wonder what could account for this renewed charting of these albums—perhaps it’s due to the tour, which is more than half over?

Brooke
07-06-2018, 05:11 PM
That would be my guess, Delilah

sodascouts
07-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Perhaps, but why now? The tour has been going on a while. You'd think such an increase due to the tour would happen at its outset. Maybe there's something else going on.

ETA: Oh wait - something just occurred to me. They sell copies at the merch booths! Of course.

Delilah
03-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Looking at this week’s Billboard Top 200, it looks like Hell Freezes Over hasn’t re-entered the charts yet with the release of the 25th Anniversary Edition. Curiously enough, The Best of the Eagles did re-enter at #178.

New Kid In Town
03-11-2019, 07:02 AM
Looking at this week’s Billboard Top 200, it looks like Hell Freezes Over hasn’t re-entered the charts yet with the release of the 25th Anniversary Edition. Curiously enough, The Best of the Eagles did re-enter at #178.

Well, that's kind of strange. However, after reading FB fan group statements I am not surprised. Most of the comments left by people stated it was "another money grab". A lot wanted to know why no dvd for HOTE Tour or LROOE. Others asked why not a release for the second night of HFO or a release for both nights. I have to say I agree with both statements.
However, I have to say that I do love TBOTE cd and play it often.

Glennsallnighter
03-11-2019, 08:54 AM
Yes I agree, fans can only buy so much before they complete their collections. If you have already bought Legacy earlier in the year you probably won't buy the HFO vinyl

03-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Yeah - I consider myself a completest, BUT I already have every song in the Eagles' catalog, and even several multiple versions of many songs. So, I really don't need another version of the same stuff. However, I would be all over them releasing something new like what has been mentioned. I just don't get it - I guess it's too labor intensive for the band to produce a 2nd night HFO, LROOE, or HOTE DVD.

Brooke
03-12-2019, 01:20 PM
I don't get it either. Nearly every other band in the world promotes themselves with new stuff. And we know they like money so, why not give us something we don't already have multiples of? :-x

WalshFan88
03-12-2019, 03:22 PM
I'm tempted to buy Legacy for my birthday in September... I'm still against the idea of them repackaging this stuff, but I really have come around to the idea of getting it. :lol:

I have TBOTE, Selected Works, GH1&2, F1 and HOTE and HFO on video, etc. Yet now I want Legacy. lol

I LOVE vinyl but I have this weird thing that I never buy new vinyl. I only want vinyl of things that were originally on vinyl when they came out, and I only want old copies of vinyl, not new pretty copies in the wrapping. I'm probably alone but I like vinyl hunting in mom and pop shops and I think older vinyl albums sound better too. So I won't be interested in HFO on vinyl. I also am not a big fan of the HFO setlist.

I want LROOE and HOTE tour video! I want more 70s and HFO era video, too. Anything from Hotel California tour through the HOTE tour.

sodascouts
03-16-2019, 04:36 PM

I'm not surprised. There is literally nothing to recommend it. It doesn't even have new packaging... it looks just like the unsold Hell Freezes Over CD that you might have found in a record store before the re-release. The advertising for the re-release on the website says it has been remastered, but that's not clearly indicated anywhere on the product itself as far as I can tell. Soooooo little effort has been put into this. Even the remastering was just something they'd already done for Legacy.

Again, happy for the vinyl folks, but the CD... you could've bought the HFO CD off Amazon at any time. Re-releases mean nothing nowadays unless they have something new to offer. Perhaps our audiophiles can tell us if the remastering is truly a noticeable improvement.

The Best Of might benefit from being sold at shows.

WalshFan88
03-16-2019, 04:59 PM
I definitely don't understand the HFO repackaging.

I mean, unless you are actually really improving the audio of the HFO CD, there is no point in repackaging it.

The only thing I can come up with is the whole vinyl thing.

sodascouts
03-18-2019, 11:09 PM
I definitely don't understand the HFO repackaging.

I mean, unless you are actually really improving the audio of the HFO CD, there is no point in repackaging it.

The only thing I can come up with is the whole vinyl thing.

Yeah, I see what you mean - what's the point of a repackage when there's nothing new? So then you have to ask... what's the point, period?

Delilah
01-03-2021, 04:45 PM
The Eagles are back in Billboard’s Hot 100 chart for the first time in more than 17 years!

“Please Come Home for Christmas” is ranked #45 in what is a record-setting week for Christmas song appearances. It’s a guess but streaming’s popularity probably has a lot to do with why so many holiday songs are on the chart, given how easy it is to simply pull up a song and listen to it on your phone or laptop.

Anyway, congrats to the Eagles!

“A Record 39 Holiday Songs Decorate This Week’s Hot 100” by Gary Trust, Billboard, Dec. 29, 2020 (https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9505201/record-holiday-songs-hot-100)

KingWalsh
01-04-2021, 04:43 AM
This is sooooo cool! Thanks Delilah I love it! Congrats!!

on a side note here’s a lil backstory article regarding “PCHFC“. Always love reading this stuff. Also happy Joe started his Dec 26th show with “Funky New Year“. Too bad that didn’t chart as well....it should:partytime:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-please-come-home-for-christmas/

sodascouts
01-07-2021, 11:53 AM
This is sooooo cool! Thanks Delilah I love it! Congrats!!

on a side note here’s a lil backstory article regarding “PCHFC“. Always love reading this stuff. Also happy Joe started his Dec 26th show with “Funky New Year“. Too bad that didn’t chart as well....it should:partytime:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-please-come-home-for-christmas/

Nice little article! Congrats to the Eagles for charting again!

01-10-2021, 07:50 PM
Thanks for those links. I also enjoyed the writeup about the recording of the song. I had heard most of the story, but don't remember ever hearing that the recording studio was a converted motel. Just proves you're never too old to learn something new. lol