PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the meaning of the song "Visions"?

Motel California
09-19-2016, 01:45 PM
It's one of my favorite Eagles songs, but I can barely find any information on the song other than "This is the only song Don Felder sang lead on".

Annoying Twit
09-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Revising the lyrics (I listen to music more than lyrics) it appears to be about: A woman who has had a relationship split up, she's engaging in a bit of post-relationship free love including with the narrator, and the narrator would like more of a relationship, but was happy with whatever he got.

Unless there's some mysterious second/hidden meaning there.

WS82Classics
09-19-2016, 02:21 PM
I'd be curious what the song lyrics "Play on, El Chingadero" mean.

As far as I can tell, the song itself is about a man and his sexual fantasies of another woman, who clearly feels the same way and yet still has some reservations about pursuing the course the man wants to take.

Felder is on slide guitar, Leadon is on lead guitar, and Frey is on rhythm guitar.

UndertheWire
09-19-2016, 02:32 PM
"El Chingadero" was the nickname for Boyd Elder who created the skull sculpture for the cover of "One of These Nights". Alternatively, it was Don H and Glenn calling Don F a name of which "mother" is half a word.

Motel California
09-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks, guys. I wasn't able to tell the meaning of it by myself, the lyrics were a little confusing to me.

UndertheWire
09-20-2016, 02:05 PM
While we're thinking about it, does anyone have any thoughts on the bracketed lines. Is she answering him back? Or is in his inner devil urging him on? Or what he's really thinking?

Visions that you stir in my soul
Visions that will never grow old
Sweet baby, I had some visions of you
If I can't have it all, just a taste will do

Go ahead and live all your fantasies
(Don't you ever think about the other side?)
Helps you get from where you are to where you want to be
(You and me ought to be taking a ride)
You do the best you can and you make your mistakes
(If you don't like it, you can say that you tried)
'Cause all I have to give is whatever it takes

Play on, El Chingadero, play on
Play on, El Chingadero

Dance, angel, dance 'til you wear out your blues
(Only thing that's gonna save you now)
Take another chance, you got nothing to lose
(The boy didn't love you anyhow)
Oh, you drive me wild when you do what you do
(Something makes me want to take you down)
If I can't have it all, just a taste will do
Just a taste of you

Delilah
09-20-2016, 03:17 PM
I think he's addressing the main lines to her, but whispering the parenthetical remarks into her ear. At least that's the way I see it.

As far as the "play on" lines, I know Don F seemed to think it was directed at him, but I wonder if it was referring to the guy in the song being a "player", although that term may not have been common in the 70s.