PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Frey--With the Eagles and Without(Amazon CD)

WS82Classics
10-05-2016, 09:48 AM
This one came to my attention as I was checking out listings for the "Eagles, Live on Air 1980" CD. Looks like it's some sort of an (assumedly unsanctioned)audio book of Mr. Frey talking about the important moments in his life.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Without-Glenn-Frey/dp/B01M1EZWML/ref=oosr

Anyone have insights into this release?

UndertheWire
10-05-2016, 01:04 PM
From the track titles, my guess is it was an interview to promote Soul Searchin'.

I have to admit that I'd like to hear what he has to say about training computer operators!

sodascouts
10-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Amazon has become another ebay. Anyone can burn a bootleg on their home computer, slap together a cover in photoshop, and list it as a "new release."

The person selling that probably found it online somewhere free. I suggest you look around for it before paying this guy for a bootleg.

Glennsallnighter
10-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Yes, there's tons of stuff around - I am also getting FB links all the time with bootlegged music and or memorabilia on offer. While I can totally understand someones desire to design or create a memento of Glenn :heart: for themselves (in the absence of anything official being sanctioned) for personal use or display I deplore the idea that some people will be out to make money from Glenn :heart:'s death. There are many people out there who are still extremely sad over his passing and who maybe did not get to see him or the Eagles play live. These bootleggers are playing on the emotions of genuine fans.

WS82Classics
10-07-2016, 12:24 AM
Some of the responses have helped me to understand, at long last, how all of these band CD's(whether they be Eagles, Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd live concerts) come about. I always thought it was some Independent record company who had come into the tapes and decided to release them separate from main channels and entities. You see this a lot with compilation CD's at lower end department store chains such as Fred's and Rose's.

While I can understand the concern about these 'bootleg recordings,' I personally have little to no compunction about buying them. Given the relative dearth of released live albums by the band, it is admittedly nice to hear 'new' material every few months, legally questionable as it probably is. I would hope the band takes control of these tapes and gives them a formal release with polished up audio.

Since this one is more of an audio book, I will probably not buy it when it is released on 12/9/16. That said, I hope anyone who does will tell us of the contents and their overall quality.

Funk 50
12-12-2016, 07:52 AM
There's a new Glenn Frey CD listed with this week's new releases. It doesn't look good. I'd guess it's unofficial, I hope it is.
I'm pretty sure, judging by the track titles, that it's mostly, interview segments.

Glenn Frey: With The Eagles And Without
http://freemp3albums.net/genres/rock/with-the-eagles-and-without-glenn-frey-2016/

I'd love a new Glenn Frey album... as long as it's music :band:

UndertheWire
12-12-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm sure this has already been discussed. It appears to be a series of interview clips, possibly for MTV, that he did to promote the Soul Searchin' album.

sodascouts
12-13-2016, 10:22 PM
I moved his post to the pertinent thread.

RudieCantFail
08-11-2017, 02:30 AM
If anyone wanted to listen to this in full, here's the YouTube link for the playlist under the Glenn Frey - Topic channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEnFrruoM7cJCRTXpKva19s8MkZv1tbkw

I thought it was kind of strange that this gets released now (within the last year). It's on Spotify too under Glenn Frey. Are any of these audio snippets part of Soda's collection on GlennFreyOnline.com (http://GlennFreyOnline.com) ?

UndertheWire
08-11-2017, 06:27 AM
I get "Blocked in country" for all of those. Is there anything noteworthy?

Pippinwhite
08-11-2017, 09:18 AM
It's also available on Spotify. Pretty good stuff.

Funk 50
08-11-2017, 09:31 AM
When Glenn came to the UK in 1992, he played shows in London and Dublin. The Dublin show was released as an official video.

I remember listening to a lengthy radio interview Glenn did with Nicky Horne at the time. Nicky also did the Eagles, mighty Long Road Out Of Eden exclusive for Gold Radio in 2007. I don't remember much content but Nicky commented on how much Glenn had changed since the mid seventies, 3rd Encore era and played Soul Searching. Glenn said he'd done plenty of Soul Searching during a lengthy period of recuperation from surgery, after the Soul Searching album was released, which explains why he didn't tour to promote that album.

I just put
Glenn Frey interview 1992 in Google at it looks like he did quite a few interviews while promoting his Strange Weather album.

Here's one with Lloyd Bradley for the Independent from, just over, 25 years ago;

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/interview-an-eagle-lands-glenn-frey-tells-lloyd-bradley-about-life-after-the-eagles-1530716.html

sodascouts
08-19-2017, 05:39 PM
If anyone wanted to listen to this in full, here's the YouTube link for the playlist under the Glenn Frey - Topic channel:

I thought it was kind of strange that this gets released now (within the last year). It's on Spotify too under Glenn Frey. Are any of these audio snippets part of Soda's collection on GlennFreyOnline.com (http://GlennFreyOnline.com) ?

No, I don't have that interview.

I think it's a bootleg that's "out there" and somebody capitalized on it.

Glennsallnighter
08-20-2017, 04:21 PM
I bought it and its very good. But then I'd think Glenn :heart: calling out the phone directory would be good!! lol!

RudieCantFail
08-28-2017, 01:18 AM
No, I don't have that interview.

I think it's a bootleg that's "out there" and somebody capitalized on it.

Ah, that kind of makes me mad. I can't blame them for capitalizing on it, but it's wrong.

Dawn
08-28-2017, 01:46 PM

These are awesome, thanks for posting!

Having said that ... there is no way anyone can listen to Glenn and not wish like hell he was still here. Glenn was truly unique and had many interests, ideas, and talents. Looking back it's not all that suprising what he accomplished in his short(end) lifetime. Yes, he was blessed but Glenn was nothing if not extremely focused and determined. He worked hard to achieve his goals and make his dreams come true.

Pippinwhite
08-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Dawn -- Indeed, indeed. He was extremely gifted, but he also worked to make the most of his many gifts. He could have been a bar singer doing covers his whole life, but he wanted something else, and he absolutely worked hard to achieve those goals. He worked to be a better singer, a better musician, a better songwriter... everything.

If every musician were as focused on producing quality work as Glenn was, popular music would be in better shape, for sure.

New Kid In Town
08-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Pippin & Dawn - So true ! We lost such a talented man who had many more things planned he wanted to do.

Freypower
08-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Dawn -- Indeed, indeed. He was extremely gifted, but he also worked to make the most of his many gifts. He could have been a bar singer doing covers his whole life, but he wanted something else, and he absolutely worked hard to achieve those goals. He worked to be a better singer, a better musician, a better songwriter... everything.

If every musician were as focused on producing quality work as Glenn was, popular music would be in better shape, for sure.

The quality, not quantity argument only goes so far until you realise there will apparently be NOTHING MORE. THe size of his output, given the length of his career, is far too small. It's a great shame that there were not more unreleased tracks.

Pippinwhite
08-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Agreed, but I just have to be thankful for what's available. Maybe something will turn up one of these days. We can always hope.

Funk 50
08-29-2017, 07:25 AM
Well with Glenn tributes continuing to be released and Irving's tribute album for Dan Fogelberg (1951-2007) finally being released later in the year, I'm still hopeful that more official Frey material will be released in the future.

Knowing how slowly the Eagles wheels turn and with the band currently in a sort of tentative mode, I still think it's a little premature for them to embark on a suitable public Frey tribute.

I've quite enjoyed the fan recorded stuff I've seen and heard so far.

Freypower
08-29-2017, 06:14 PM
Well with Glenn tributes continuing to be released and Irving's tribute album for Dan Fogelberg (1951-2007) finally being released later in the year, I'm still hopeful that more official Frey material will be released in the future.

Knowing how slowly the Eagles wheels turn and with the band currently in a sort of tentative mode, I still think it's a little premature for them to embark on a suitable public Frey tribute.

I've quite enjoyed the fan recorded stuff I've seen and heard so far.

What is really sad about this post is the assertion that any tribute would be 'premature'. I wrote more on this yesterday, but realise that it's pointless.

CAinOH
05-12-2018, 08:07 PM
FYI for those of you who live in Ohio: This CD (Glenn Frey -- With the Eagles and Without) is available through the library inter-loan system. It is an interview for Soul Searchin. Interesting, but I borrowed it, didn't buy it.

There is also another bootleg available through the Ohio Inter-Library loan system: Take It To The Limit (also listed on Amazon).

I was surprised to actually find these in the library system.