PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Glenn Frey Songs

WS82Classics
10-09-2016, 08:59 PM
Didn't see a posting for this topic, so I thought I would go and create one myself. All of us have our own favourite Glenn songs, and it would be interesting to see what some of the consensus on here is regarding his best songs. Here's my own personal opinions...

Solo:

1. You Belong to the City
2. The Heat is On
3. Smuggler's Blues
4. Strange Weather
5. Wild Mountain Thyme

Within the Eagles:

1. Tequila Sunrise
2. New Kid in Town
3. Already Gone
4. Heartache Tonight
5. Peaceful, Easy Feeling

Freypower
10-09-2016, 09:54 PM
I could have sworn we had an old topic on this. For me there are too many but I will try:

Eagles:

New Kid In Town
Lyin' Eyes
Tequila Sunrise
Heartache Tonight
Take It Easy

This is a very conservative list which doesn't include the songs from LROOE which I love, because I wasn't sure which to choose, though the 'eerly prescient' (to quote Don Henley) It's Your World Now would be up there.

Solo:

Part Of Me, Part Of You
Smuggler's Blues
River Of Dreams
You Belong To The City
After Hours

I adore WMT. However I wouldn't list it in the top 5, though it would be close.

shunlvswx
10-09-2016, 10:15 PM
Solo
2. The One You Love
3. Smuggler's Blues
4. Soul Searchin'
5. Here's To Life

With the Eagles
1. New Kid In Town
2. What Do I Do With My Heart
3. Already Gone
4. Somebody
5. How Long

NightMistBlue
10-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Surely I can't be the only one who adores "True Love"!

I didn't know Glenn covered "Wild Mountain Thyme"; must check that out.

Funk 50
10-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Glenn has expressed a reluctance to pick out favourites from his solo career but on other occasions he's named The One You Love, Smugglers Blues and the aforementioned True Love. Wild Mountain Thyme is definitely one of my favourites.

solo:

Wild Mountain Thyme
Lovers Moon
After Hours
River Of Dreams
The Heat Is On

Eagles:

Outlaw Man
New Kid In Town
Heartache Tonight
You Are Not Alone
It's Your World Now

I love King Of Hollywood too but I suppose that would only qualify for a 'dual or group lead vocal' catagory :grooving:

Delilah
10-10-2016, 11:33 AM
I could have sworn we had an old topic on this.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2874

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113

There's was another one about Glenn's best vocal, but it doesn't seem to be quite the same topic. For those who posted back then, it would be interesting to see if the list has changed.

NightMistBlue
10-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Glenn has expressed a reluctance to pick out favourites from his solo career but on other occasions he's named The One You Love, Smugglers Blues and the aforementioned True Love.

Ah-HA! I feel validated :)

GlennLover
10-10-2016, 11:48 PM
Surely I can't be the only one who adores "True Love"!

I didn't know Glenn covered "Wild Mountain Thyme"; must check that out.

True Love is one of my favourites. So is WMT.

Brooke
10-11-2016, 02:35 PM
This is really hard for me because I pretty much love whatever Glenn sings! Surprise!

I guess I can try to pick.

Eagles

Take It Easy
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Tequila Sunrise
Already Gone
New Kid in Town
Somebody

Solo

Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams
You Belong to the City
After Hours
True Love
I've Got Mine

.....I could go on!

WalshGirl
10-11-2016, 02:51 PM
With the Eagles:

1. Take It Easy
2. Already Gone
3. Peaceful, Easy Feeling
4. New Kid in Town
5. Tequila Sunrise

Solo:

2. Smuggler's Blues
3. The Heat Is On
4. Wild Mountain Thyme
5. The One You Love

sodascouts
10-14-2016, 11:09 AM
So hard to pick, but if we're limiting it to 5 and 5 (understanding that sometimes these can shift depending on my mood and I'm going to go ahead and put two honorable mentions for each category):

Solo:
1. Part of Me, Part of You
2. Smuggler's Blues
3. You Belong to the City
4. That Girl
5. River of Dreams
Honorable Mentions to The Heat Is On, Brave New World, and After Hours

With the Eagles:
1. Take It Easy
2. Peaceful Easy Feeling
3. Heartache Tonight
4. Already Gone
5. New Kid in Town
Honorable Mentions to Out of Control, No More Cloudy Days, and How Long

Glennsallnighter
10-15-2016, 05:15 AM
This is like trying to pick my favourite child and also depends what mood I'm in.... I'll get back!!

Ive always been a dreamer
10-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Yeah - I'm afraid I can't play with y'all here. There is no way I can pick a list of 5 ... why heck, I don't even know if I could pick a list of 20. :bye:

:wink: :grin:

UndertheWire
10-15-2016, 03:58 PM
I'm having a go, though it's only true for this moment in time.

Solo:
I Volunteer
All Those Lies
True Love
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed*
Here's to Life

* I know it's not good to sing about beating up your wife and her new boyfriend, but I love the way he sings it.

Eagles:
Outlaw Man
Tequila Sunrise
Ol' 55
What Do I Do With My Heart
Somebody

Delilah
10-15-2016, 08:55 PM
I'm finally able to come up with a list. It was a little harder than I thought.

Solo:
1. You Belong to the City*
2. Part of Me, Part of You
3. Smuggler's Blues
4. I Found Somebody
5. Love in the 21st Century
HM: After Hours, Route 66

Eagles:
1. New Kid in Town (of course :-))
2. Tequila Sunrise
3. Already Gone
4. Outlaw Man
5. After the Thrill is Gone
HM: Get You in the Mood, You Are Not Alone

*this song has special meaning and came at the right time. When I first learned of Glenn's passing, this was the first song I thought of and wanted to hear.

AlreadyGone95
10-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Some of these are subject to change.

With the Eagles:
1. Outlaw Man
2. Already Gone
3. James Dean
4. Take It Easy and New Kids in Town (tie)
5. Somebody
Honorable mentions: Heartache Tonight, Lyin' Eyes, and You Are Not Alone

Solo:
1. Smuggler's Blues (I love it so much that it's both my ringtone and ringback tune for my phone)
2. Long Hot Summer
3. Call on Me.
4. I've Got Mine
5. Flip City
Honorable mentions: The Allnighter, River of Dreams, The Heat is on, You Belong to the City, and The One You Love

I am a bigger fan of Glenn's more rock songs than the ballad songs, but the softer songs are great, too.

chaim
10-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Probably keeps changing, but...

Eagles:

Lyin' Eyes
New Kid In Town
Most Of Us Are Sad (Randy sings it, but Glenn wrote it - one of the first Eagles songs I fell in love with. Still one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.)
I will mention Teenage Jail for the reason that it demonstrates how well Glenn's voice worked in a more twisted setting too. I LOVE how Glenn's voice sounds when he sings "anyone else", for example. Almost spooky.
I don't feel comfortable mentioning Outlaw Man since it's a cover, but I just adore Glenn's vocal performance. Could easily be replaced with Tequila Sunrise though. My favorite Glenn period vocalwise.

Solo:

I Did It For Your Love. This song should be better known.
You Belong To The City
Long Hot Summer
Brave New World
A Walk In The Dark

I was surprised how difficult it was to pick only five solo tracks.

UndertheWire
10-21-2016, 03:03 PM
With just five lists and ignoring the honorable mentions, we already have 18 solo songs and 15 Eagles songs. That shows quite a lot of diversity. There isn't a song that makes all the lists, although tow make 4 out of 5 lists - New Kid in Town and Outlaw Man.

shunlvswx
10-21-2016, 03:19 PM
With just five lists and ignoring the honorable mentions, we already have 18 solo songs and 15 Eagles songs. That shows quite a lot of diversity. There isn't a song that makes all the lists, although tow make 4 out of 5 lists - New Kid in Town and Outlaw Man.

No matter what, New Kid In Town will always be on my list. Its just my favorite of Glenn's. What Do I Do With My Heart is a close second.

Its interesting with my list, most of the songs I like of his are ballads. With his solo songs, I mostly like the ballads while with the Eagles I like rocking uptempo songs. That's kinda backwards with me. LOL I guess I love his smooth sexy voice with the ballads.

Jonny Come Lately
12-08-2016, 06:59 PM
I've been meaning to do this for a while. I'm not sufficiently familiar with Glenn's solo albums to do a proper lists for them, but I'll do one for his songs with the Eagles.

1. Take It Easy
2. New Kid In Town
3. Tequila Sunrise
4. Already Gone
5. Heartache Tonight

Honourable mention to Lyin' Eyes.

I think that Take It Easy is probably my slight favourite, but New Kid In Town is the best song, even though I put it a close second in my order of preference. I had to include Tequila Sunrise, which I think is probably my favourite Glenn vocal delivery. He nailed that melancholy (but not quite as bleak as miserable) tone and sense of regret from the lyrics. Already Gone I love as the song that I personally feel defines the On The Border era, and Heartache Tonight absolutely rocks (Joe said it best about Glenn's vocal on that song). I don't have any of his LROOE vocals in my top 5, although Somebody would be in my top 10.

All of my picks are hits, which is slightly unusual for me, although you can argue whether TS and to a lesser extent AG are hits. I decided to leave out the Glenn/Don duets and focus on his solo vocals. I was tempted to include Good Day In Hell, as it's Glenn's voice I hear throughout almost all of that song, but I think it's unfair to include it while excluding songs like After The Thrill Is Gone, How Long and even Doolin-Dalton (that one is perhaps slightly more Don than Glenn, but I love Glenn's vocals on his verses).

sodascouts
12-09-2016, 12:01 AM
All worthy choices!

Scarlet Sun
12-09-2016, 02:02 AM
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Take It Easy
Rebecca
The One You Love
Lyin' Eyes

chaim
12-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Don sings most of Doolin-Dalton, but I believe Glenn had more to do with it in terms of writing. Good Day In Hell is mostly Glenn's. After The Thrill Is Gone is different again, because the person who sings the part more or less wrote it. I think that GDIH is much more a Glenn song than ATTIS is. I guess you could say that Glenn is the main singer, but Don is harmonizing throughout the song. (Another rocker they did before Joe "the rocker" stepped in. Great rhythm guitars from Glenn and Bernie, and a FANTASTIC lead guitar from Felder)

Jonny Come Lately
12-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Definitely agree about Good Day In Hell. I loved how they did it in 1976-77 after Joe came on board with him doing a solo as well as Felder's slide, but the original is also great (Felder's slide is immense - no wonder they wanted to have him in the band full-time! :rockguitar:) and no less rocking than the versions with Joe. I also agree it's much more Glenn's song than Don's. TBH until I double checked I didn't realise that Don was harmonising with Glenn throughout that track. I guess Don has an equivalent of GDIH in King Of Hollywood, where he is the main voice in the duet, although one difference is that Glenn doesn't sing all of the lines in KOH, most notably the verse after Don F's guitar solo.

Of the other Glenn/Don duets, although it's a cover I'd say Ol' 55 is a bit like After The Thrill Is Gone in that Glenn and Don each sing distinct sections of the song, although I'd say it's more Glenn's song than ATTIG is because he sings the verses on his own (whereas on ATTIG they sing the last verse together). Teenage Jail works out roughly equally between the two in terms of vocals because they have one verse each then share the final one. I'm not sure who was the main writer for TJ, although I would guess that Glenn had more input into the song as a whole. What Do I Do With My Heart is mainly Glenn, as Don doesn't come in until quite near the end. There's also the 2007 version of How Long, where Glenn gained the third verse which was sung by Randy in 1973. Again I tend to think of it as more Glenn, partly because it reminds me of the early 1970s albums where he had more vocals, especially On The Border, although Don is quite prominent on there too, more so than WDIDWMH.

The more I think about it, the odd one out among the songs with shared Don/Glenn lead vocals is King Of Hollywood, as it's only one where Don is by far the more prominent voice, with probably only Doolin-Dalton coming close in this regard.