PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of Selected Works: 1972-1999.

shunlvswx
11-14-2016, 02:10 PM
I looked through all 30+ pages and I couldn't find a thread about Selected Works.

SO I hope its ok to make a thread because even though it was mostly a greatest hits cd box set, we did get some of the Millenium concert, a few unreleased tracks and Random Victims(my favorite track).

So. Happy 16th Birthday to the Selected Work box set.

shunlvswx
11-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Happy 17th Birthday to the Selected Works box set. I bought this album on Ebay and a few songs from I-Tunes. I loved the Random Victims track. Wait, wait, wait, wait. :laugh:

groupie2686
11-14-2017, 11:59 AM
I was watching an old tape (yes I still own a VCR) and fast forwarding through the commercials, and I saw the Eagles - it was a commercial for this box set, and included footage from the 1977 DC concert. So I had to buy the box set and I haven't been disappointed...I love the Millennium concert CD. It's too bad there is no DVD of this.

(The tape, btw, is now labeled "Eagles commercial" and can never be thrown out).

BillBailey1976
11-14-2017, 12:24 PM
The Millennium Concert was the best part. Would loved for it to have been a 2 CD part, with the full concert....but oh well....glad for what we got.

shunlvswx
11-14-2017, 12:32 PM
I love the Millennium concert too. I have the Millennium concert bootleg from Mandalay Bay show that was a day or two before this concert.

Magnolia
11-14-2017, 09:52 PM
This was the first Eagles album I bought. I love the Millennium concert and Random Victims as well. I like when bands release demos or behind the scenes of what goes on in the studios instead of just hearing the finished product. I like when we can get glimpses of their personalities. Probably why I enjoy the Beatles anthology cds so much.

sodascouts
11-14-2017, 11:21 PM
That Millennium concert sounded amazing. Those shows must have been absolutely epic. How I wish I had been a fan then, and could have been there!

YoungEaglesFan
11-15-2017, 12:01 AM
That Millennium concert sounded amazing. Those shows must have been absolutely epic. How I wish I had been a fan then, and could have been there!

It sounded great to me but for some reason Felder says the concert was bad and only the jazzy version of BOML was good. I dont get it

New Kid In Town
11-15-2017, 12:20 AM
I haven't heard the whole Millennium concert, but the parts I have heard they sound great. Maybe Don meant he didn't sound great. According to his book, he was really sick with a bad case of the flu at that time.
I wonder if there is a way to just get the Millennium cd, I really don't want all the other cd's as I have all the albums and most of those cd's.

sodascouts
11-15-2017, 12:25 AM
Felder says the concert was bad and only the jazzy version of BOML was good.

I hold the opposite opinion. I didn't particularly care for that arrangement of BOTM and found it to be a lowlight, but enjoyed the concert overall.

I wonder if there is a way to just get the Millennium cd, I really don't want all the other cd's as I have all the albums and most of those cd's.

I don't believe one can purchase just the Millennium CD alone. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

shunlvswx
11-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Ebay you might can purchase it by itself. When I first bought the whole thing 4 years ago, they were selling only that CD too. Its probably different now.

UndertheWire
11-15-2017, 09:16 AM
I bought the 2013 re-release of the box set. It was in the supermarket and priced at just £7, so worth it just for the concert. You may be able to find a cheap set, still, particularly in the UK.

BillBailey1976
11-15-2017, 10:32 AM
I love the Millennium concert too. I have the Millennium concert bootleg from Mandalay Bay show that was a day or two before this concert.

You lucky dog. That would be a great one to have. Is it soundboard or audience?

shunlvswx
11-15-2017, 10:43 AM
You lucky dog. That would be a great one to have. Is it soundboard or audience?

I think it was soundboard. The quality was great. I listen to it sometimes. I have it in my CD player in my car. I think that's one of my favorite concerts.

groupie2686
05-27-2018, 01:32 PM
So for some reason I guess I had never listened to all of the Millenium concert CD. I was listening to this entire set in my car while on a road trip yesterday and heard the jazzy version of BOML for the first time. What were they thinking?!! I love BOML and this upbeat version with sax totally ruined it for me. Why would they ruin such a beautiful song? (No offense meant to anyone who liked it!)

YoungEaglesFan
05-27-2018, 06:01 PM
So for some reason I guess I had never listened to all of the Millenium concert CD. I was listening to this entire set in my car while on a road trip yesterday and heard the jazzy version of BOML for the first time. What were they thinking?!! I love BOML and this upbeat version with sax totally ruined it for me. Why would they ruin such a beautiful song? (No offense meant to anyone who liked it!)

I don’t care it for either but Felder thought that was their performance of the night! I don’t get how he thinks that lol

Ive always been a dreamer
05-27-2018, 06:39 PM
I haven't listened to the Millennium Concert for quite a while, but I'm not fond of that rendition of BOML either.

New Kid In Town
05-28-2018, 08:21 PM

Groupie - I agree. I do not like that version either. I love the song, especially the 1977 CC Concert. That's the best version I have ever seen or heard.

Shun - You lucky duck ! I would love to have a boot leg of that Mandalay Bay show.

cosec3791
05-29-2018, 07:57 AM
Jeez you guys! You guys seem pretty noobish when it comes to live stuff, no offence. If my friends saw these posts they'd probably have a good chuckle!

I think it was soundboard. The quality was great. I listen to it sometimes. I have it in my CD player in my car. I think that's one of my favorite concerts.

It is just a good audience recording. It is not a soundboard.

And you guys appreciating the release! It is most probably overdubbed. Though either way, a good listen.

I noticed a shady thing. I listened to 1999 LV Hotel California version. The solo is almost, if not note for note to the 1999 release, particularly the scraping. Very shady indeed.

BillBailey1976
05-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Jeez you guys! You guys seem pretty noobish when it comes to live stuff, no offence. If my friends saw these posts they'd probably have a good chuckle!

It is just a good audience recording. It is not a soundboard.

And you guys appreciating the release! It is most probably overdubbed. Though either way, a good listen.

I noticed a shady thing. I listened to 1999 LV Hotel California version. The solo is almost, if not note for note to the 1999 release, particularly the scraping. Very shady indeed.

So, you're saying this may be a mishmash of stuff from The Staples Center and Mandalay Bay concerts, and not just the LA concert as listed?

BillBailey1976
05-30-2018, 10:04 AM
I don't really understand why they went the direction they did with Selected Works.
I think an actual box set would have been much better. Include all 6 Studio Albums, and the live concert. That would have sold much better (IMO) and been a nice collection to have, especially had they done a full concert double album from The Millennium shows.

BTW, I have the box set that they did do a few years back and I love it.

You could make them "special edition" versions of the albums and add all the extra stuff they had on SW.

Doing a pick and choose retrospective is neat, but I think that would be better from a group that had 10 or 15 albums.

cosec3791
05-30-2018, 11:05 AM
So, you're saying this may be a mishmash of stuff from The Staples Center and Mandalay Bay concerts, and not just the LA concert as listed?

It very will could be. It sounded exactly similar to me. Really did. The Eagles are super shady when it comes to live releases. Even their recent Hotel California 40th Anniversary Edition 1976 Forum releases were overdubbed.

New Kid, here is a link to the 1999 LV concert. Hopefully, it works. Compare the solos of both versions of Hotel California from 1999. Eerily similar.

http://ia600209.us.archive.org/9/items/Eagles1999-12-29MandalayBayLasVegasNV/Eagles1999-12-29MandalayBayLasVegasNV.mp3?cnt=0

Also to those talking about BOML, my personal fave is 1979 Osaka or 1980 Santa Monica (with JD Souther). Also one to listen is 1975 Springfield (the bootleg "Doolin Dalton"). Henley is on drums for this one (just like Santa Monica), but Dan Fogelberg comes out and plays piano on this version. Hence, the song has more depth!

Capital Center is too shady for it to be my favorite. I don't like the live releases in general as much as bootlegs.

BillBailey1976
05-30-2018, 11:11 AM
Cosec, you are very knowledgeable about the music side of things.
Is it just me, or is Don mixed louder in the live house mix sound than in recordings when he's singing backup?

cosec3791
05-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Cosec, you are very knowledgeable about the music side of things.
Is it just me, or is Don mixed louder in the live house mix sound than in recordings when he's singing backup?

Thanks I guess. Though I ain't an expert. I'm just a teenager who is a noob when it comes to music theory. WalshFan is an expert though. I just observe well because I have a decent knowledge of bootlegs.

And very well could be about Felder. Some of the Felder fans sardonically say that Frey and Henley always mix him too low when releasing. And that they sabotaged Visions.

BillBailey1976
05-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Yeah, from his book, I know Felder didn't like the HFO house mix. He said he'd take the tapes back to his room to listen to, and make suggestions, but that they fell on deaf ears.

groupie2686
05-30-2018, 01:03 PM
It very will could be. It sounded exactly similar to me. Really did. The Eagles are super shady when it comes to live releases. Even their recent Hotel California 40th Anniversary Edition 1976 Forum releases were overdubbed.

New Kid, here is a link to the 1999 LV concert. Hopefully, it works. Compare the solos of both versions of Hotel California from 1999. Eerily similar.

http://ia600209.us.archive.org/9/items/Eagles1999-12-29MandalayBayLasVegasNV/Eagles1999-12-29MandalayBayLasVegasNV.mp3?cnt=0

Also to those talking about BOML, my personal fave is 1979 Osaka or 1980 Santa Monica (with JD Souther). Also one to listen is 1975 Springfield (the bootleg "Doolin Dalton"). Henley is on drums for this one (just like Santa Monica), but Dan Fogelberg comes out and plays piano on this version. Hence, the song has more depth!

Capital Center is too shady for it to be my favorite. I don't like the live releases in general as much as bootlegs.

I wondered about that too, if the Millennium Concert had songs from both LA and Vegas. In All She Wants to Do is Dance, Henley said something like all she wants to do is gamble, which would suggest Vegas, but I think it said it was the LA concert.

Your knowledge of bootlegs is impressive, cosec. As for bootlegs vs live releases, I don't mind the live releases, especially live released video, even if it's been overdubbed. "Shady" or not, I love the Capital Center dvd, imo they were at their peak then. There is so little official live material, I will take what I can!

cosec3791
06-04-2018, 07:51 AM
I wondered about that too, if the Millennium Concert had songs from both LA and Vegas. In All She Wants to Do is Dance, Henley said something like all she wants to do is gamble, which would suggest Vegas, but I think it said it was the LA concert.

Your knowledge of bootlegs is impressive, cosec. As for bootlegs vs live releases, I don't mind the live releases, especially live released video, even if it's been overdubbed. "Shady" or not, I love the Capital Center dvd, imo they were at their peak then. There is so little official live material, I will take what I can!

It's not JUST that Capital Center is overdubbed. It is that, the whole affair was faked. The croud is most probably from another concert and they faked the whole thing to get some "live" footage for that 1977 documentary they cancelled. I need to ask my friends for some concrete proof. Or they'll make another thread for this later.

YoungEaglesFan
06-04-2018, 07:53 AM
It's not JUST that Capital Center is overdubbed. It is that, the whole affair was faked. The croud is most probably from another concert and they faked the whole thing to get some "live" footage for that 1977 documentary they cancelled. I need to ask my friends for some concrete proof. Or they'll make another thread for this later.

I’m not sure that is real. I’m not sure how you can just completely change the crowd. I also don’t think they would fake that all for some footage. I could be wrong but this was 40 years ago. I can’t think of another situation similar this back then. Today it’s different with the amount of editing technology available but that’s a different story back then.

BillBailey1976
06-04-2018, 08:55 AM
I think a lot of "Live" stuff is manipulated, and controlled.
I remember when Garth Brooks was doing a Live TV concert from Texas Stadium (I think), they did 3 shows, and added a 4th show that was free for the audience. The reason it was free is that there was going to be a lot of camera people on stage, obstructing the view of the concert to get all the closeups for the special.
So yeah, I can believe that they'd do things to get the footage they wanted.

groupie2686
06-04-2018, 01:39 PM

I don't think the whole affair was faked...they did really play this show, you can see the setlist online. Why would you think the crowd was from another concert? Like YEF said, I don't think they had the technological ability to do that in 1977. I'm sure there was some editing, but I bet all bands/artists do that with live footage that is commercially released, they want to present themselves at their best.

Delilah
06-04-2018, 01:57 PM
I don’t care it for either but Felder thought that was their performance of the night! I don’t get how he thinks that lol

He was talking about how they actually performed on stage, not about the touched up recorded versions that ended up on Selected Works. He said Glenn worked on these for months after the concerts.

I can understand them trying something different and new for a special concert, but yeah, that version of BOML is cheesy.

That’s a pretty scandalous allegation. :woah: While a number of bands have been known to manipulate “live” recordings or video, I think faking the whole thing seems a real stretch.

1. The dvd uses footage from 2 different nights at the Capital Centre; maybe this is why your friends are thinking the crowd is from another concert.

2. The concert was filmed by a very well-known and widely respected cinematographer named Haskell Wexler who has won Academy Awards for his work. I wonder why he would risk his reputation and credibility by being party to something that seems so unnecessary—using a crowd from another concert to create something fake. And the Eagles paying big bucks for it.

3. The band was intending to use the Capital Centre concert for a documentary that was pretty much done and ready for release. Wouldn’t the band be concerned that some of those 18,000 or so attendees might figure out something was up and call foul if it was all faked?

BillBailey1976
06-05-2018, 08:16 AM
3. The band was intending to use the Capital Centre concert for a documentary that was pretty much done and ready for release. Wouldn’t the band be concerned that some of those 18,000 or so attendees might figure out something was up and call foul if it was all faked?

I know this is getting pretty far off the original topic, but does anyone know why the 1977 documentary was scrapped, and if they did actually finish it?
I'd love to see that released at some point in the future, although I suspect that what we got in HOTE is all we'll ever get of it (which seemed to be a pretty good amount, especially in the first little bit of HOTE)

New Kid In Town
06-05-2018, 08:28 AM
He was talking about how they actually performed on stage, not about the touched up recorded versions that ended up on Selected Works. He said Glenn worked on these for months after the concerts.

I can understand them trying something different and new for a special concert, but yeah, that version of BOML is cheesy.

That’s a pretty scandalous allegation. :woah: While a number of bands have been known to manipulate “live” recordings or video, I think faking the whole thing seems a real stretch.

1. The dvd uses footage from 2 different nights at the Capital Centre; maybe this is why your friends are thinking the crowd is from another concert.

2. The concert was filmed by a very well-known and widely respected cinematographer named Haskell Wexler who has won Academy Awards for his work. I wonder why he would risk his reputation and credibility by being party to something that seems so unnecessary—using a crowd from another concert to create something fake. And the Eagles paying big bucks for it.

Ddelilah - I agree. I don't understand why some people think conspiracy theory. If you go on you tube for those songs, you will see people will comment they were at that concert and mention about it being filmed. Like you said, it was filmed over two days.

BB - I don't know why the movie was never released. There was also a book written by Ed Sanders that was never published. Supposedly Don H. as the book.

BillBailey1976
06-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Does anyone else think that when Don Henley passes away, however long from now that is, that we will get deluged with Eagles stuff that was never allowed to seethe light of day, such as the documentary, the book mentioned, concerts, etc.?

YoungEaglesFan
06-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Does anyone else think that when Don Henley passes away, however long from now that is, that we will get deluged with Eagles stuff that was never allowed to seethe light of day, such as the documentary, the book mentioned, concerts, etc.?

I’m thinking it will happen to an extent online but not from him or the band

cosec3791
06-06-2018, 11:36 AM

Okay, I kinda take my statement back. Thinking about it, it does indeed seems to be much of a stretch. I actually asked my friends evidence, but doesn't seem convincing enough. But either way, there's too much shady stuff in the recordings for me to like it. Same with the Millenium Concert. Good listens, but shady. The Hotel most probably being from Las Vegas is really shady to me. Gotta listen to the Las Vegas version and compare it with the official release. Eerily similar. BTW, New Kid, I posted a link to the Las Vegas concert. Have a good listen and hope you enjoy!

Now I'll tell my opinions on the box set. I do like the interesting categorisation of the songs, some of the early days, others fast songs etc. The Long Run bloopers are interesting, though I feel The Last Resort's placing is a bit off. It should be with the ballads for me.

Also, about the live releases itself, BOML sucks! It really sounds cheesy with the sax. I feel, acoustic is best. Only other instruments I'd add are drums and piano. Nothing else. Victim of Love is pretty cool, PEF is not too bad, but sax is not my fave here again. I do like Felder and Walsh in this song though. TITTL is a dud for me. Randy is only rightful for this song. I miss the high notes! Ol'55 is not too bad, but their 70's recordings are the best. Those Shoes is great! Scott Crago's drumming is better than Henley's for me! Funk #49 is decent too. I didn't listen to Dirty Laundry, Funky New Year or Please Come Home for Christmas yet. All She Wants to do is Dance is a huge miss for me, because I just do not like it. I feel Eagles members are not really useful for this one. I feel it is good for Henley's solo shows.

But I'll never really like the release as much as I want to, because of the fact that they were most probably overdubbed and/or taken from more than one concert, in spite of it claiming to be from Staples Center.

cosec3791
06-06-2018, 11:39 AM

I really want more live releases! I want MORE!!!!! There are quite a few recordings still with them. I estimate that there are 20 concerts from the 70's and hundreds from the 90's (they recorded everything from 1994). And probably many soundboards. I wonder if they stashed those interesting concerts from the HC and TLR tours. They had very unique setlists sometimes.

groupie2686
06-06-2018, 03:24 PM
I really want more live releases! I want MORE!!!!! There are quite a few recordings still with them. I estimate that there are 20 concerts from the 70's and hundreds from the 90's (they recorded everything from 1994). And probably many soundboards. I wonder if they stashed those interesting concerts from the HC and TLR tours. They had very unique setlists sometimes.

I'll agree with that, cosec, more live releases would be great! After Henley passes, though, (which will hopefully be many, many years from now), who would control the music then I wonder?

I disagree that Eagles members were not useful for All She Wants to Do is Dance...have you seen their performance of it from the Melbourne concert? Glenn's dancing is the best part of the whole concert!

BillBailey1976
06-07-2018, 12:41 PM
I think a nice DVD package would be splendid.
A concert from the Hotel California tour, one from the Long Run, HFO and HOTE.4 DVD set. I'd pay 100.00 for that everyday of the week.

YoungEaglesFan
06-07-2018, 12:47 PM
I'll agree with that, cosec, more live releases would be great! After Henley passes, though, (which will hopefully be many, many years from now), who would control the music then I wonder?

I disagree that Eagles members were not useful for All She Wants to Do is Dance...have you seen their performance of it from the Melbourne concert? Glenn's dancing is the best part of the whole concert!

Totally love that scene lol

shunlvswx
11-14-2018, 11:49 PM
Happy 18th Birthday to the Selected Works Boxset.

As I was looking for the Random Victim audio clip on Youtube, I found this commercial about the Selected Works boxset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNDxa_gGHY&t=21s

FreyFollower
11-15-2018, 04:32 AM
Happy 18th Birthday to the Selected Works Boxset.

As I was looking for the Random Victim audio clip on Youtube, I found this commercial about the Selected Works boxset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNDxa_gGHY&t=21s

Very cool! Thanks, Shun, you do great investigative work!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Very cool! Thanks, Shun, you do great investigative work!

Ditto!

sodascouts
11-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Cool ad! I wish I could see more of that live footage from the nineties they keep putting all that text over!

It wouldn't be long before ordering CDs over the phone would become a thing of the past. This is really neat.

Thanks, shun.