PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees

shunlvswx
12-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Here are the new inductees for 2017. Well deserved for some.

Yes
Journey .
ELO
Pearl Jam
Joan Baez
Tupac Shakar

Award for Musical Excellence: Nile Rodgers

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/journey-yes-electric-light-orchestra-pearl-jam-hall-of-fame/

shunlvswx
12-20-2016, 12:13 PM
I don't know how they will do Journey, but I'm guessing they are bringing all the former members back. I really hope Steve Perry goes to the ceremony. If he does, this would be the first time since the 90s that he and his former bandmates played and sang together.

NightMistBlue
12-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Yes! I love Yes. If only Chris Squire could have lived to see this.

P.S. Since Yes has had a large cast of characters over the years, it's kind of important to note which members will be inducted into the Hall. This is from YesWorld, the band's official web site:
The members of YES who will officially be inducted into the Rock Hall are the ‘UNION‘ tour line-up: current members Alan White and Steve Howe, the band’s late bassist and founding member Chris Squire, and former members Jon Anderson (vocals), Bill Bruford (drums), Tony Kaye (keyboards), Rick Wakeman (keyboards) and Trevor Rabin (guitar).

shunlvswx
12-20-2016, 03:35 PM
I went on R&R HoF website earlier today after I posted the list.

Here's who R&R HoF are inducting for Journey:
Jonathan Cain, Aynsley Dunbar, Steve Perry, Gregg Rolie, Neal Schon, Steve Smith, Ross Valory.

I have no idea who the other people are. I just know Jonathan, Steve P, and Neal. I looked up these guys and majority of them were in the band since the beginning and some left the band.

Jonathan, Neal, Steve Smith(he just returned to the band just last year after being gone for 17 years), and Ross are current members and Steve Perry Gregg, and Aynsley are former members who were a big part of their huge success in the mid 70s to mid 80s. Neal is the only member who's been there since the beginning and never left.

Oh. Did anybody knew that Irving is their manager. He's been their manager since 1995

Delilah
12-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Gregg Rolie used to be in Santana. Aynsley Dunbar toured with the World Class Rockers with Randy.

I'm psyched Journey got in, even though they get flak for being an 80s band. Their 70s stuff gave them some cred I suppose. Too bad at The Cars didn't make it.

I'm a little surprised PJ and Tupac got in during their 1st year of eligibility.

shunlvswx
12-20-2016, 04:28 PM
The people who are voiting are probably people 30 and under maybe 40 and under. So of course Pearl Jam and Tupac would get a nod their first year of eligibility while their are still lots of acts and singers who don't even get on the ballot.

Thank goodness the Eagles was picked the first year they were eligible.

NightMistBlue
12-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Neil would probably take the prize for mightiest white man 'fro back in the day
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cd/90/a2/cd90a28c16ac3406fa63e9e26d1f90e1.jpg

Delilah
12-20-2016, 05:38 PM
The people who are voiting are probably people 30 and under maybe 40 and under. So of course Pearl Jam and Tupac would get a nod their first year of eligibility while their are still lots of acts and singers who don't even get on the ballot.

Thank goodness the Eagles was picked the first year they were eligible.

Do you mean the people doing the online voting are under 40? That is only one of the considerations, from what I understand. Unless you are referring to the Voting Committee, in which case my guess would be that they are older but who knows, you're probably right.

shunlvswx
12-20-2016, 05:56 PM
The Voting Committee. The online voting is probably older people. Journey had the most votes in the online voting from what I read.

At this point, I'm not surprise who gets in. I'm just hoping Steve Perry shows up and this won't be another Peter Cetera and Peter Gabriel mess like the last few years. I really want Steve there.

If he doesn't show up, he's still in the R&R HoF no matter if he shows up or not.

shunlvswx
12-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Neil would probably take the prize for mightiest white man 'fro back in the day
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cd/90/a2/cd90a28c16ac3406fa63e9e26d1f90e1.jpg

His afro makes me think of Joe Bonsall of the Oak Ridge Boys. He was known for his afro even into the 80s. His afro wasn't that big, but it was big.

Freypower
12-20-2016, 06:00 PM
The Voting Committee. The online voting is probably older people. Journey had the most votes in the online voting from what I read.

At this point, I'm not surprise who gets in. I'm just hoping Steve Perry shows up and this won't be another Peter Cetera and Peter Gabriel mess like the last few years. I really want Steve there.

If he doesn't show up, he's still in the R&R HoF no matter if he shows up or not.

Regarding Peter Gabriel he didn't appear with Genesis because he was preparing for a tour. It was a shame but that's what he's like. There was no animosity.

I'm very happy for ELO & Yes. I hope Roy Wood & Bev Bevan will show up for ELO's induction.

Ultimately the final say is held by Jann Wenner, the Rolling Stone editor, who hates progressive rock. He apparently also hates Dire Straits. I'm still waiting.

buffyfan145
12-20-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm happy with all as I'm a fan of each artist/band!!! :D I had a feeling both Pearl Jam and Tupac would get in their first year. Both I didn't really get into till I was a teenager but I love Pearl Jam and do like some of Tupac's songs and other hip hop artists. I'm actually surprised Journey and ELO weren't in yet. Another sign I'm getting older when bands I remember being out as a kid are getting in and I know who every artist now. LOL Will be interesting what happens with Journey and if Steve is involved.

NightMistBlue
12-20-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm very happy for ELO & Yes. I hope Roy Wood & Bev Bevan will show up for ELO's induction.

Wouldn't that be great! Bevan is being inducted so I hope it's kumbaya with all the members. It just occurred to me now that the string section of ELO tours separately from Jeff and Bev so there are at least three factions involved.

P.S. How can anyone hate the Dire Straits?! Even if their music is not one's cup of tea, I would think their artistry is plainly evident. Knopfler's playing is sublime. But as you say, if Wenner doesn't like you/think you're hip enough, that's it.

shunlvswx
12-20-2016, 06:22 PM
I wasn't surprised Pearl Jam and Tupac was picked. Those the two I knew would get in. I did say ELO, Journey and Yes as finally getting in. I kinda thought Janet would get picked, but it didn't happen. She will get in sooner than later. I guess somebody finally woke up. Now if we can get others in. I think The Cars time will come in either a year or two. They will either be inducted 2018 or 2019.

This is my opinion, but I think its going to get harder and harder for the acts who have been out since the 60s and 70s to get in. They're going to get the acts who came out in the 80s and 90s first before they do the acts who are unknown to this generation at this moment. I could be wrong, but it looks that way.

thelastresort
12-20-2016, 08:09 PM
I abhor concepts like RRHOF, but I'm glad Yes are finally in there, sadly well after Mr. Squire left us. The list of laughably obvious omissions is reducing!

Witchy Woman
12-20-2016, 11:46 PM
That's good business. Some very worthy inductees. It would be awesome if Steve Perry showed up and sang with the band. I don't see why he wouldn't, really.

NightMistBlue
12-21-2016, 08:21 AM
Doesn't Steve Perry have vocal issues, or is it all down to conflicts with other Journey musicians?

shunlvswx
12-21-2016, 09:39 AM
I did sing again this year, but he doesn't have the voice like he use to have. I think I read he's putting out an album.

shunlvswx
12-21-2016, 10:01 AM
From what I just read it was Steve Augeri who was having the throat problems. I think when Steve Perry left the band in the 90s, he had to have hip replacement surgery.

buffyfan145
12-21-2016, 11:40 AM
As far as I know Steve Perry still is singing and has popped up at some shows with other bands recently. I know being a fan of the San Francisco Giants baseball team too he's been at games periodically. I've heard and seen so many posts about this with Journey now so it'll be interesting what happens.

NightMistBlue
04-06-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm hearing that Geddy Lee will play bass for Yes at the Friday night ceremony. Yes, as you know, lost their founder/bassist/composer/sublime harmony vocalist Chris Squire to leukemia in 2015.

shunlvswx
04-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Their are some rumors that Steve Perry might be there tomorrow. I hope so. I saw a video of him at a game early this week and he was lip syncing to Lights. He might actually was singing, but of course you can't hear him if he's in the crowd. It was soo funny, but cute. I think the team was the San Francisco Giants.

East Texas Girl
04-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Shun, I have read that Steve Perry will be there to accept the award but will not be singing with Journey, which is a shame... I keep hoping once he is there he will change his mind.

I have also heard he attends a lot of the San Francisco Giants baseball games and sings in the crowd. How cool would that be to be attending a game with Steve Perry. :cool:

NightMistBlue
04-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Has it ever been revealed why Mr. Perry seemingly quit the music business and became the mysterious Howard Hughes of Rock?

East Texas Girl
04-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Has it ever been revealed why Mr. Perry seemingly quit the music business and became the mysterious Howard Hughes of Rock?

Not that I am aware of. But my daughter would know best; she knows everything there is about Steve Perry (she says). :razz:

Delilah
04-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Do we know for sure that Steve Perry won't be performing? Hopefully he will even though it's been many years since he's last sung in public.

I read Neil Young won't be inducting Pearl Jam due to illness. David Letterman is taking his place.

shunlvswx
04-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Steve have sang in public a few times in the last 2 years. I've seen videos. His voice is not the same. He can't hit those famous high notes, but he still sounded good.

buffyfan145
04-06-2017, 04:55 PM
I've heard that too about Steve being there tomorrow. :D As a fellow Giants fan he is at the games a lot and actually participated in their parades when they won the World Series.

thelastresort
04-06-2017, 06:09 PM
I'm hearing that Geddy Lee will play bass for Yes at the Friday night ceremony. Yes, as you know, lost their founder/bassist/composer/sublime harmony vocalist Chris Squire to leukemia in 2015.

I had read that Lee and Yes had been instructed that Lee was there to honour but not perform with them, but hopefully as your post alludes to this has been reversed. How I truly abhor this awful institution.

shunlvswx
04-06-2017, 07:33 PM
I read Journey don't mind performing with Steve, I think its Steve who doesn't want to. They knew he probably wouldn't do it.

NightMistBlue
04-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Neil Schon sounds so sweet about wanting Steve to sing with them. He was like, "I'll tune my guitar down to C!"

Witchy Woman
04-07-2017, 09:46 PM
It was reported that Steve Perry had agreed to perform one song with Journey. Then it flip flopped back and forth all day. He will, he won't. So, who the hell knows ? It would be nice if he did. If he didn't, oh well.

shunlvswx
04-07-2017, 10:13 PM
I'm reading Ultimate Classic Rock facebook page. They said Steve is on stage to accept the award, but I haven't heard if he will still sing. I guess we will know in a few.

At this moment, Steve is talking.

shunlvswx
04-07-2017, 10:49 PM
I just watched a video from periscope. Well it looks like he didn't sing which I'm not surprised. I guess we're lucky he did decided to show up, but I just wished his darn differences aside and freaking sing with them for just one night. His former bandmates didn't mind, but he didn't want to. What a letdown, but I really didn't enjoy the current singer. I definitely wouldn't pay to see them.

Delilah
04-07-2017, 11:09 PM
That's a bummer he didn't sing. But I guess if he's not feeling confident about his voice, the last thing he wants is to be compared to the younger fake Steve Perry.

shunlvswx
04-07-2017, 11:24 PM
I saw a video of Steve from I think a year or two ago. Steve sounded good. He definitely doesn't have that voice anymore, but he was ok.

I was thinking about Don's voice. Even though he still have raspy sounding tenor voice he had since the beginning, you know his voice has changed. Don had to drop keys to a lot of his song(and he stills hit those hight notes I still don't know how he does it). Don knows his voice will be gone one day.

To me. I don't care if you drop one or two keys to your songs, as long as you sound, I will still like you.

To tell the truth. I'm a fan Steve Perry era not after. For years I didn't like them, but I enjoyed their music.

buffyfan145
04-08-2017, 09:56 AM
I'm glad Steve was there and just saw some of the footage this morning on "Good Morning America". I figured he wouldn't sing either but so nice to see him there and that he spoke. I actually saw Journey in concert not too long after they got their newer lead singer and I really liked it and he did sound like Steve.

NightMistBlue
04-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush induct Yes into the R & R HOF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyOm8WVJIRA&index=1&list=PLeasUbhvyXXoV0vv9rDTTDtJ3U5pJC7Fs
Beautiful tribute, very moving.

Oh my, the acceptance speeches from the Yes members past and present: hilarious, kooky, raunchy - and that's just Rick Wakeman who could have been a stand-up comedian if he wasn't such a brilliant musician. Can you believe he's a born-again Christian?! I'm glad Jesus left his wacky sense of humor intact.

I got tears in my eyes when Jon said it was 49 years to the day that he and Chris Squire met. :rockguitar: Towards the end of the video segment as the guys are walking off-stage, you can see Chris' widow Scottie and their young daughter Xilan.

chaim
04-08-2017, 11:09 AM
The way I see it Anderson and Wakeman were desperately trying to make it an ARW show - also at the "press gathering" offstage. Steve Howe deserves better. Steve, to me, is the one who still has that Yes spirit and really can play the classic Yes music faithfully. ARW keep bashing the current official Yes and that's immature. Even at this event, Anderson spoke first and then gave the mike to Trevor Rabin. Trevor was going to give the mike to (surprise!!!) Rick Wakeman, but Steve encouraged Alan White to go there instead and thankfully he did. ARW seem to be all self-hype the moment. Steve & co. play the classic material MUCH better.

NightMistBlue
04-08-2017, 11:32 AM
P.S. my fellow Americans: the ceremony will be broadcast on HBO on April 29. Drat! I need to find someone who has premium cable...

shunlvswx
04-08-2017, 12:21 PM
I don't have HBO either. I haven't had HBO in years. Unless they have a free HBO preview weekend during that time and a little after, I won't be able to see it.

LuvTim
04-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush induct Yes into the R & R HOF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyOm8WVJIRA&index=1&list=PLeasUbhvyXXoV0vv9rDTTDtJ3U5pJC7Fs
Beautiful tribute, very moving.

Oh my, the acceptance speeches from the Yes members past and present: hilarious, kooky, raunchy - and that's just Rick Wakeman who could have been a stand-up comedian if he wasn't such a brilliant musician. Can you believe he's a born-again Christian?! I'm glad Jesus left his wacky sense of humor intact.

I got tears in my eyes when Jon said it was 49 years to the day that he and Chris Squire met. :rockguitar: Towards the end of the video segment as the guys are walking off-stage, you can see Chris' widow Scottie and their young daughter Xilan.

Yay! Thanks for the YouTube link, NMB. I always seem to forget to go there. I listened to SiriusXM Hall of Fame last night and heard a little of the quotes from the speeches as they went along, but watching it will be terrific! :yay:

LuvTim
04-08-2017, 02:55 PM
I don't have HBO either. I haven't had HBO in years. Unless they have a free HBO preview weekend during that time and a little after, I won't be able to see it.

I don't have HBO either. I feel your pain. :-(

NightMistBlue
04-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Yes people: where was Tony Kaye? He was supposed to be there.

UPDATE: Mr. Kaye is reportedly in poor health and unable to travel. Sorry to hear that. He's a talented and handsome man.

https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10931291_941920009153321_648620760911937949_n.jpg? oh=16d077c0bfcf8632faab1f2f7f56581b&oe=598AF1CA

buffyfan145
04-08-2017, 04:56 PM
We don't have HBO either but the past couple years we've gotten a free preview of it during that weekend so hopefully that'll be the case again. I've also saw Dhani Harrison's speech inducting ELO on the George Harrison FB page and it was great. :D Dhani and Jeff Lynne are still really close, as was George and Jeff.

shunlvswx
04-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Here is Journey's part. Of course the quality of the video won't be that good and people talking in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9t6uEbr7U

Delilah
04-10-2017, 11:33 PM
That was great! :band:Thank you for posting that Shun.

NightMistBlue
04-11-2017, 02:01 PM
That was classy of Mr. Perry to thank the guy who replaced him (!) and Journey's first road crew. You don't see that every day.

LuvTim
04-12-2017, 12:36 AM
That was classy of Mr. Perry to thank the guy who replaced him (!) and Journey's first road crew. You don't see that every day.

My thoughts exactly. I thought Steve Perry handled the whole thing with grace. I know that it was hard for some of the fans when Steve showed up but didn't sing, but I guess he had his reasons.

shunlvswx
04-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Another group that fans wanted to see a former member there and sing together: Peter Cetera and Chicago. Everybody was happy he was going to be there and sing with them, but Peter decided he wasn't going to show up. I think something happen behind the scenes before the ceremony and Peter wasn't happy about something. I was sad he didn't put his differences aside with his former bandmates to be there. I know that was another group I wanted to see get back together for one night.

Even though I was upset he didn't sing with his former bandmates, I guess I'm happy he did show up.

thelastresort
04-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Steve, to me, is the one who still has that Yes spirit and really can play the classic Yes music faithfully. ... ARW seem to be all self-hype the moment. Steve & co. play the classic material MUCH better.

I'll disagree here, as much as I believe Steve Howe is one of the finest guitarists who has ever lived; Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman have just as much talent and have just as much right to use the Yes name. Since Chris's passing, the old Yes has seemed to me much more like a band filling in whichever gap gets vacated next (and I am aware Chris chose Billy Sherwood specifically to replace him), only Howe and White have any form of longevity or meaningful history with the band. Who performs Yes's vocals better out of Jon Anderson or Jon Davison is hardly an Agatha Christie novel... I'll take ARW over Howe and whoever's left this week any day.

Funk 50
04-12-2017, 06:15 PM
I'm not a Journey fan but Mr Perry has earned a little respect from me. I assume that he didn't perform out of respect for his successors. I'm sure they'd be fearing a possible reunion with Perry would leave them out of a job.

Not so impressed with ARW. It looks like they've used the 2017 induction to validate ditching their ARW moniker and muscle back in on the more lucrative Yes franchise. I suppose a co-headlining tour of the two Yeses is out of the question. Save the fans some dosh...:shrug:

chaim
04-12-2017, 09:49 PM
I'll disagree here, as much as I believe Steve Howe is one of the finest guitarists who has ever lived; Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman have just as much talent and have just as much right to use the Yes name. Since Chris's passing, the old Yes has seemed to me much more like a band filling in whichever gap gets vacated next (and I am aware Chris chose Billy Sherwood specifically to replace him), only Howe and White have any form of longevity or meaningful history with the band. Who performs Yes's vocals better out of Jon Anderson or Jon Davison is hardly an Agatha Christie novel... I'll take ARW over Howe and whoever's left this week any day.

My comment wasn't based on who has a right to call themselves Yes and who has not. I have heard the ARW performances of the classic material and IMHO they don't do the material justice as much as Steve and his band does. I say this only, because ARW have put down Steve's Yes constantly and praised their own act. When they keep doing that, they should prove they're right on stage. So far they haven't done that IMO.

ARW has called the current Yes a tribute band. What they forget is that Rabin wasn't originally on most of the material they play (what he does has none of the old Yes vibe IMO). So when White is in Yes (as far as I know he hasn't quit permanently), both bands have two members who recorded a lot of the old material. Well, Alan wasn't on Close To The Edge etc., but he's been playing that stuff live since '73 or something.

I guess my point is that it's great when ARW releases new material, but as far as the old, classic material goes, Steve would be my "go-to" man more than Anderson and his boys.

shunlvswx
04-23-2017, 09:00 PM
HBO is doing the free preview weekend right now. I figured I won't see it this coming weekend.