PDA

View Full Version : America (the band)

MortSahlFan
03-31-2017, 09:04 AM
They are touring, I'm going to see them April 16th (Christopher Cross is opening, which sadly will reduce a few songs of America).

In the last few years, I've got to know their entire discography, and what a collection of great songs. Probably my favorite harmonies by ANY band.

This might be my last concert -- last summer was the first in my adult life when I did NOT go to one.. My favorites are dead, dying, or retiring.

Has anyone seen them recently? If so, what did you think, and what do you think of the band in general?

America - Saturn Nights (favorite of mine, on youtube)

Brooke
03-31-2017, 09:24 AM
MSF, we had a thread on them here https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6027

I love America and saw them a few years ago. Scroll down to see my post.

They were great!

Witchy Woman
03-31-2017, 11:36 PM
Wait, America & Christopher Cross ?! Well, damn !! Sounds like a might of awesome music from where I'm sitting !!

Scarlet Sun
04-01-2017, 11:53 AM
I like quite a few of their songs as well as their first album, but they are the biggest squares imaginable

MortSahlFan
04-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Squares in real life? I guess I just listened to the music, and I love it. I don't think I ever saw an interview with them.

NightMistBlue
04-02-2017, 11:30 AM
I like quite a few of their songs as well as their first album, but they are the biggest squares imaginable

Squares?! What do you mean, ScarletSun? They've done every drug under the sun and are politically progressive lefties. Have you read Dan Peek's book? They weren't hanging out with Debby Boone or the Osmonds.

Scarlet Sun
04-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Squares?! What do you mean, ScarletSun? They've done every drug under the sun and are politically progressive lefties. Have you read Dan Peek's book? They weren't hanging out with Debby Boone or the Osmonds.
Yes, I have. That's exactly why I feel this way. That story dealing with their first trip to David Geffen's house and they way they felt afterwards makes me consider them squarer than square.

UndertheWire
04-02-2017, 01:37 PM
They were very young and had just come over from England where it's rarely warm enough to lie around naked by the pool!

NightMistBlue
04-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Aww, I thought the pool party scenario was very human - I could relate :) I liked how Dan said there's good nudity (Joni Mitchell) and bad nudity (Elton John). He was such a funny guy.

Scarlet Sun
04-02-2017, 03:04 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/universesociety/1622813_10202688354347476_1070999364_n_zpse66ecuy1 .jpg

NightMistBlue
04-03-2017, 09:47 AM
:laugh: Well, if Betty says so I guess that's the final word.

Do we have anyone here who has seen the band more than once in recent years? I saw them about a year and a half ago, and would like to see them again but get the strong impression - from reviews and an interview I read - that the setlist doesn't change much, if at all. I've no objection to hearing the hits but if even the "surprise" deep tracks don't change, there's not much point.

MortSahlFan
04-05-2017, 11:18 AM
I just hope the vocals are still great... I don't think they could play a bad set list - too many fine songs.

NightMistBlue
04-05-2017, 12:18 PM
To be honest, Gerry's voice is gone. Dewey is fine, he sounds the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FNYfAMeoM

LuvTim
04-05-2017, 05:03 PM
I like the band America, but, really, Scarlet Sun, that was too funny. Good one. :grin:

NightMistBlue
06-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Fans of America may enjoy this lovely new song by Le Deux Love Orchestra featuring Dewey Bunnell - he's in fine voice, and it's a romantic song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Gb5YyUPtY

maryc2130
06-26-2017, 10:39 AM
That's very pretty, NMB. Thanks for posting that!

America is performing with Three Dog Night at a smaller, local outdoor venue the night before my birthday in August. I had hoped to go to Don H's birthday celebration for my birthday, but unless I win the lottery, it doesn't look like I'll be going to that, so I may take in America and Three Dog Night. America was one of my favorite groups back in high school (after the Eagles, of course!) and Three Dog Night was the first band I ever saw live. It's sad that they've lost their lead singer, but hopefully performing with America will help make up for that.

NightMistBlue
06-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Danny Hutton's voice sounds fantastic. Being Irish, he's a good front man and storyteller. He has an American bloke named David Morgan singing with him. Coincidentally, Mr. Morgan sings lead on the Randy Meisner song "The Best I've Ever Been (Rise & Fall)" from 2003.

I saw the Three Dog Night/America combo back in November 2015. I highly recommend it! Caught me a Dewey Bunnell guitar pick. :)

halacious
07-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Okay, I know this is an older thread, but this is totally new to me about Christopher Cross playing with America but after googling it, I see where he was "special guest" of theirs at several shows and turns out it was a pretty good idea! I recently went into a Nashville studio with my sons, Sam, a recent Belmont grad and drummer, and Noah, who plays trombone, along with some other Belmont students, and did a cover of Sister Golden Hair using a horn arrangement. If it's not cool to post this, just let me know, but I'd love to know what you think. Thanks! Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIJMEoBz1o