PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Harvey

Dawn
08-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Just a shout out to our Border friends who may live in the area or have family and friends who do: please stay safe!!! Don't take any chances better to take precautions and not underestimate Mother Nature. Hoping everyone will be okay including family pets and wildlife, horses and other livestock.

Pippinwhite
08-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Amen. Prayers for all in the path of this storm.

buffyfan145
08-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Sending prayers and hope everyone in the hurricane's path stays safe.

Houston Baby
08-26-2017, 12:06 AM
Thank you friends! All prayers & positive thoughts are much apprciated! So far, I do not think the winds will be as bad in H-town as they are further south. However with up to 30 inches of rain predicted for our city, the flooding will be horrific. And the rain is supposed to last until Thursday.

LuvTim
08-26-2017, 12:53 AM
Hoping for the best possible outcome from this scary situation. HB, you and everyone else, stay safe!

New Kid In Town
08-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Sending thoughts and prayers to all our border friends in the path of Hurricane Harvey. Please be safe.

NightMistBlue
08-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Thinking especially of East Texas Girl, Houston Baby and Delilah. Prayers for your safety.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Ditto NMB. Please everyone stay safe and try to stay dry!

Houston Baby
08-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Thank you everyone! It has been raining off and on all day in Houston so there has been some flooding but not severe yet. There was a tornado touch down a few miles away and right now it is starting to thunder & rain at my house. Thank you for the prayers!

NightMistBlue
08-27-2017, 10:00 AM
I hope the situation is still not severe in Houston. I had the news on this morning and they were showing helicopters rescuing people from catastrophic flooding.

Delilah
08-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Happy to report my family, pets and I are safe. Our home is flood-free. So far, so good. We are truly grateful. Many thanks to everybody for your prayers and well wishes. Your kindness and caring are appreciated.

Houston Baby, I haven't seen it rain this much since TS Allison!

LuvTim
08-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Delighted to know that you are safe. Thanks for letting us all know! Continuing to think of you and wish all of you well.

buffyfan145
08-27-2017, 04:25 PM
So glad to know you're safe Delilah and HB. The coverage on the news just looks so scary.

NightMistBlue
08-27-2017, 04:40 PM
The news can really whip up the fear. When a hurricane is approaching my area, after a certain point (after I have all the info I need) I have to turn it off -
particularly the local coverage - because it starts to scare the bejesus outta me.

To give the media the benefit of the doubt, maybe they have to "write it large" for the people who are kind of lackadaisical and won't take the proper precautions unless you light a fire under 'em so to speak.

Dawn
08-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Thanks for checking in D and HB, so glad you are both okay! I just read there have been 1,500 to 2,000 incidents of high water rescues and Hobby and Bush airports are having big problems with standing water on runways. They are asking residents where ever they are to stay put not to take any chances because of fears about flooding, sink holes, etc. I'm trying to reach my friend in Spring she said last night she was going to try to get to San Antonio. Stay safe and keep us posted!

sodascouts
08-27-2017, 07:07 PM
My parents in northeast Houston are fine as well.

Dawn
08-27-2017, 07:34 PM
My parents in northeast Houston are fine as well.

Oh wow didn't realize your folks were in the area too, good to hear all is well with your parents Soda!

Houston Baby
08-27-2017, 09:12 PM
I know Delilah, it is bad. Glad to hear y'all are safe. My exact location is Jersey Village and unfortunately we had flooding during the Memorial Day floods and also the tax day floods. So far this time the bayou that runs thru JV is staying within its banks. I am so thankful for that. However as you know it is still raining.
I would also like to thank everyone. Your prayers and well wishes are much appreciated.
Keep them coming as it appears this will be going on for awhile. :grouphug:

shunlvswx
08-27-2017, 11:34 PM
I have many relatives in Houston. My best friend, her family and parents also live in Houston. Her mother posted on Facebook that they were ok. I haven't heard from my best friend, but I guess her mother was posting for everyone.

Dawn. I have a friend in Spring too. I saw her facebook post and she's ok also.

Its weird that I was just in Houston this past January and its now underwater.

I'm glad everybody is ok.

RudieCantFail
08-28-2017, 01:21 AM
I'm glad to hear that the Texans on this Border are okay so far. I hope y'all get through the heavy rains, and I hope that your well being, friends, relatives, and pets are safe.

New Kid In Town
08-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Houston and Delilah - I am so happy to hear you and your families are safe. Please stay safe. Soda, same goes for your Mom and Dad. My thoughts and prayers will continue be with you all.

East Texas Girl
08-28-2017, 02:31 PM
So glad to hear that all Borderers and families/friends are doing ok with Harvey rushing through. I will continue to keep everyone in my prayers. I am in north east Texas (50 miles east of Dallas) so all we have gotten so far is cooler weather. Stay safe everyone!

Dawn
08-28-2017, 06:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIQb_2AVAAE3Vfk?format=jpg

comparison photo
Allen Parkway, Memorial, Waugh overpass, Spotts park and Buffalo Bayou park completely under water.

shunlvswx
08-28-2017, 07:02 PM
I finally saw a post from my best friend. She's ok. I texted her this past weekend and I tried calling her, but I guess the cell towers are not working.

I just found out that her parents had to be rescued because the water was coming into their house and her father was also experiencing chest pains from the stress. Her parents are safe and at her house.

Houston Baby
08-28-2017, 09:42 PM
I am so thankful for everyone here on The Border and the fact that their friends & families in the Houston area are safe.
I drive down Memorial Drive into downtown every day to work. It is a beautiful sunrise view of the parks on either side & the downtown skyline. It is so sad seeing it covered in water as is shown on the photo above. :cry:

Delilah
08-28-2017, 10:32 PM
Thank you everyone.

I'm glad to hear affected Borderers and their families are safe as well. Only a day or two more of this (hopefully). It's not so bad for my family but for those who are anxious to start repairing and drying out or to return to their homes, the wait can be difficult and stressful.

These pictures and others I've seen are just unreal. I'll be so glad to see the sun shining again.

Pippinwhite
08-28-2017, 11:23 PM
Glad all our Borderers are safe! The news has been unreal. My point of comparison is the April 2011 tornadoes that devastated Alabama. My town didn't get hit, thanks be to God, but they were literally all around us. The devastation was beyond comprehension in Tuscaloosa and the small towns of Hackleburg and Phil Campbell. We saw power crews from Texas coming in to help, and I'm sure the Texas folks will be seeing Alabama Power and TVA trucks in when it's safe to get around.

Keep us updated on how you're all doing!

WalshFan88
08-29-2017, 12:41 AM
My best thoughts and well wishes to all affected by this.

New Kid In Town
08-29-2017, 07:25 AM
I am so happy all our border friends and families are safe. The images from tv are just heart breaking. I remember Hurricane Sandy and the damage it caused to New Jersey and New York. New Jersey has sent volunteer Red Cross workers, our National Guard and people are taking donations to send to Texas. I remember seeing power crews from Texas, Ala. and numerous other states to help us. We are doing the same. My prayers continue to be with all the people in Texas and La.

buffyfan145
08-29-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm so glad all of you are doing ok too. I have a FB friend now who did have to leave their house with her husband and dog and her husband is wheelchair bound so it was difficult for them but they did get to a shelter. Everyone else I know in Texas seems to be ok or out of the area that's affected. Can't imagine what they are going through.

Brooke
08-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Prayers for everyone in the wake of HH! Thank goodness HB and Delilah and Soda's parents are safe! It all sounds horrific!

Has anyone heard from East Texas Girl?

shunlvswx
08-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Prayers for everyone in the wake of HH! Thank goodness HB and Delilah and Soda's parents are safe! It all sounds horrific!

She posted yesterday. She said she was ok.

East Texas Girl
08-29-2017, 03:40 PM

Yes, I am good. Thank you Brooke!

Pippinwhite
08-29-2017, 11:16 PM
Glad to hear from you, ETG, and glad you're all right!

VillageGirl
08-30-2017, 10:10 AM
Glad to hear everyone in TX is safe! Praying that you all, as well as those from Louisiana, don't get more rain and stay safe and sound. The pictures on the news of the elderly in nursing homes sitting in their recliners with water up to their wastes and their pet cats perched on top of boxes to stay dry are heartbreaking!

Does anyone by chance live in or near Fannette, Port Arthur, or Beaumont? My father-in-law lives and works in those areas and we are unable to get in touch with him. Just wondering if he's okay and how those areas have been holding up. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Delilah
08-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Glad to hear everyone in TX is safe! Praying that you all, as well as those from Louisiana, don't get more rain and stay safe and sound. The pictures on the news of the elderly in nursing homes sitting in their recliners with water up to their wastes and their pet cats perched on top of boxes to stay dry are heartbreaking!

Does anyone by chance live in or near Fannette, Port Arthur, or Beaumont? My father-in-law lives and works in those areas and we are unable to get in touch with him. Just wondering if he's okay and how those areas have been holding up. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Thank you, VG. And thanks to the Cajun Navy, those nursing home patients are safe. We are so appreciative of the help and support we are getting from other states.

Unfortunately, there's lots of flooding in Beaumont and Port Arthur and evacuations are taking place. We have friends and relatives there. I will PM you.

VillageGirl
08-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the reply Delilah! Unfortunately, you confirmed my fears. I had a feeling those cities/town were a mess. I'll see if I can get a hold of my MIL in Schulenberg and hopefully her cell is back on.

I am so glad to hear TX is getting help from other states. They could sure use it!

Please stay safe!

Glennsallnighter
08-31-2017, 07:15 AM
So glad that all our Borderers and Sodas parents are safe at this stage. I hope and pray that Texas will get back to normal as soon as possible. We are thinking pf you guys

FreyFollower
08-31-2017, 04:54 PM
My brother and family live in Houston, and thankfully all are fine. I am from the Beaumont area originally, and hate to see the devastation. Up here we only got some torrential rain briefly and some street flooding.
Village Girl and Delilah, I hope all your people are safe!

Pippinwhite
08-31-2017, 08:24 PM
Saw this on the Weather Channel this morning. It's the FEMA press conference about Harvey and has lots of good information, especially about filing flood insurance and FEMA claims. It doesn't start for a while, so just fast-forward until it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjHWeJBNPIo

Stay safe, Texas friends!

sodascouts
09-07-2017, 06:50 PM
My brother and family live in Houston, and thankfully all are fine. I am from the Beaumont area originally, and hate to see the devastation. Up here we only got some torrential rain briefly and some street flooding.
Village Girl and Delilah, I hope all your people are safe!

I grew up in Beaumont, and my mother was born and raised in Port Arthur. Small world!

I hope everyone's loved ones are OK. My cousin's home in The Woodlands was damaged and he is getting assistance from FEMA, but he and his family are fine. My parents are quite fortunate; they suffered no damage at all.

FreyFollower
09-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Small world, indeed! I am so glad your parents went unscathed. So many sad stories. And I even read that Parkdale Mall in Beaumont was closed the holiday weekend.(I worked there at Montgomey Ward from '81-'86).
I hope your cousin comes out well with FEMA, and will pray your sister fares well with Irma in Florida!
Best wishes to all in these storms' paths.

VillageGirl
09-07-2017, 11:18 PM
The hospital in Beaumont where my brother in law was born was evacuated last week :( All those patients had to be transferred out, but at least they were kept safe. My father-in-law teaches at the high school in Port Arthur, but lives in Fannette. His house is built on a hill and by some miracle, he was unaffected by Harvey. We are all so thankful and counting our blessings.

Harvey even hit LaGrange. My mother-in-law's storage facility was completely flooded out and all the family pictures as well as military memorabilia from my husband's 20 years in service are gone. It's a small price to pay though considering everyone is safe and sound.

Glad to hear that everyone's family on here has stayed safe and no forum members have been injured.

Prayers go out to those in Florida, Georgia, and all the other locations affected by Irma.