PDA

View Full Version : "Part of the Plan" - Dan Fogelberg tribute track

Dawn
09-29-2017, 10:33 PM
https://i0.wp.com/musicrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/unnamed-9-26.jpg?w=346&ssl=1

Exciting news! A Tribute to Dan Fogelberg will be released on November 17th. According to the press release, "...a moving rendition of “Part of the Plan,” from 1974’s Souvenirs, performed by the Eagles, is included on the collection." The performance is Joe with Don and Timothy doing background vocals.
If you pre-order today on iTunes, you will receive a digital download of “Hard to Say,” performed by Boz Scaggs, and “Longer,” performed by Amy Grant and Vince Gill, on October 13.

The collection is co-produced by Irving Azoff and also features artists like Garth Brooks, Michael McDonald and Train.

From Facebook Eagles Fastlane

scottside
09-29-2017, 10:56 PM
https://i0.wp.com/musicrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/unnamed-9-26.jpg?w=346&ssl=1

Exciting news! A Tribute to Dan Fogelberg will be released on November 17th. According to the press release, "...a moving rendition of “Part of the Plan,” from 1974’s Souvenirs, performed by the Eagles, is included on the collection." The performance is Joe with Don and Timothy doing background vocals.
From Facebook Eagles Fastlane

I'm guessing this was recorded in the last nearly two years? This tribute album has been in the making for about 5 years now. If the song was recorded earlier, I'm sure Glenn would've been on it.

Delilah
09-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the update, Dawn.

I'm guessing this was recorded in the last nearly two years? This tribute album has been in the making for about 5 years now. If the song was recorded earlier, I'm sure Glenn would've been on it.

I agree. The tribute cd was discussed in this Joe thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3162&page=3this) from 2014 (see post #25). The holdup with the Fogelberg/Walsh/Barnstorm induction into the Colorado HOF was waiting for this cd to be completed. And that couldn't happen until a certain "very busy, but important group" was free to go into the studio. Had they been able to make the time, Glenn surely would have been part of it.

Dawn
09-30-2017, 02:36 PM
I'm planning to get the album for a couple of reasons including the revelation that Train participated, I am a huge fan of the band absolutely love Patrick Monahan :spin:

I so wish Glenn Frey could have been involved and agree if he could have been he surely would have been.

All things considered if Azoff wants to do a tribute concert and record for fans in honor of Glenn Frey let's hope he can do so in a far more reasonable amount of time.

Dawn

PS Thanks Delilah for the background story/info and link. I did do a search using Fogelberg but came up with zilch.

Delilah
09-30-2017, 05:31 PM
No worries, Dawn. Now that there is finally a release date, it makes sense to post about it here. I searched for a Dan Fogelberg thread and didn't find one either. Anyway, this is the track list:

1. “Phoenix” performed by Garth Brooks
2. “Nether Lands” performed by Donna Summer
3. “Better Change” performed by Michael McDonald
4. “Longer” performed by Amy Grant/Vince Gill
5. “Same Old Lang Syne” performed by Train
6. “Don’t Lose Heart” performed by Dobie Gray
7. “Old Tennessee” performed by Fool’s Gold/Denny Henson and Tom Kelly
8. “As the Raven Flies” performed by Casey James
9. “Sutters Mill” performed by Randy Owens
10. “Run for the Roses” performed by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with Richie Furay
11. “Hard to Say” performed by Boz Scaggs
12. “Part of the Plan” performed by Eagles
13. “There’s a Place in the World” for a Gambler performed by Jimmy Buffett
14. “Leader of the Band” performed by Zac Brown

"The Eagles, Garth Brooks, Train, More on Deck for Dan Fogelberg Tribute Album" Variety, Sept. 30, 2017 (http://variety.com/2017/music/news/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-eagles-garth-brooks-zac-brown-1202576972/)

Freypower
09-30-2017, 06:21 PM
I suppose I will get flamed for this but I have to say it.

This should not be billed as 'Eagles'.

Why are 'Joe Walsh' and 'Eagles' listed separately when according to Delilahs'post there is no 'Joe Walsh' track? Why did they not just bill this track as 'Joe Walsh'?

I think it's incredibly sad that they managed to find time to do this but have put nothing on record to honour their former founder. I understand they were contractually obliged to do it. That doesn't make it right.

NB: I guess some (most)? will be pleased about this. I don't wish to spoil their pleasure. However as a representative of tha band as it was, I found it necessary to express disappointment.

Pippinwhite
09-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Now I'll have to hear "Run for the Roses" since I'm a Dirthead! I'm sure they will have a great version of it.

Should be a good album. Great artist lineup.

Dawn
09-30-2017, 11:45 PM
No worries, Dawn. Now that there is finally a release date, it makes sense to post about it here. I searched for a Dan Fogelberg thread and didn't find one either. Anyway, this is the track list:

1. “Phoenix” performed by Garth Brooks
2. “Nether Lands” performed by Donna Summer
3. “Better Change” performed by Michael McDonald
4. “Longer” performed by Amy Grant/Vince Gill
5. “Same Old Lang Syne” performed by Train
6. “Don’t Lose Heart” performed by Dobie Gray
7. “Old Tennessee” performed by Fool’s Gold/Denny Henson and Tom Kelly
8. “As the Raven Flies” performed by Casey James
9. “Sutters Mill” performed by Randy Owens
10. “Run for the Roses” performed by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with Richie Furay
11. “Hard to Say” performed by Boz Scaggs
12. “Part of the Plan” performed by Eagles
13. “There’s a Place in the World” for a Gambler performed by Jimmy Buffett
14. “Leader of the Band” performed by Zac Brown

"The Eagles, Garth Brooks, Train, More on Deck for Dan Fogelberg Tribute Album" Variety, Sept. 30, 2017 (http://variety.com/2017/music/news/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-eagles-garth-brooks-zac-brown-1202576972/)

Thanks for posting this now I'm even more excited and planning on ordering a few extra CDs to give as Christmas gifts.

For those who may not know ...

"A tribute CD featuring legendary and soon-to-be-legendary recording artists is underway to honor Dan. Each artist will record the Dan Fogelberg song of their choosing. Produced by Dan's long-time associates and friends Norbert Putnam, Irving Azoff, Chuck Morris, and Dan's wife Jean Fogelberg, the CD will be distributed and promoted by Sony Legacy Recordings. All profits will go to the Prostate Cancer Foundation to develop new, more precise testing No date of completion yet, there are many artist schedules to work around, but it's coming together!"

danfogelberg.com

sodascouts
10-01-2017, 01:00 AM
I'm also dismayed they are billing this as the Eagles, but that is a discussion for Eagles 3.0. I hope the album sells well for the sake of the charity.

Delilah
10-02-2017, 10:08 AM
"There's a Place in the World for a Gambler" is such a hauntingly beautiful song. It's a little hard to imagine it being sung by Jimmy Buffett.

Why are 'Joe Walsh' and 'Eagles' listed separately when according to Delilahs'post there is no 'Joe Walsh' track? Why did they not just bill this track as 'Joe Walsh'?

I think it's incredibly sad that they managed to find time to do this but have put nothing on record to honour their former founder. I understand they were contractually obliged to do it. That doesn't make it right.

Maybe Joe plays guitar on some of the other tracks, so he gets a separate credit. Also, it took them several years to manage to find the time to record this song. It's still possible they will do something similar for Glenn; hopefully it won't take as long.

Annoying Twit
10-03-2017, 12:03 PM
I've only just learned of this track now, being 'out of touch' for a while due to life intervening.

There are reports online, but they all seem to be the same press release. E.g. here: https://1063thefox.com/new-eagles-track-featured-on-dan-fogelberg-tribute-album/

“Part Of The Plan,” the Eagles’ first studio recording since the death of Glenn Frey, will appear on the upcoming collection, A Tribute to Dan Fogelberg, according to Variety. Fogelberg and the Eagles had a unique connection — in addition to the band, Joe Walsh and Fogelberg all shared a manger and confidante in Irving Azoff, Walsh produced and performed on Fogelberg’s second album, 1974’s Souvenirs, with “Part Of The Plan” serving as the album’s opening track.

This is a surprise, as I didn't expect Eagles to record again.

BTW: I wasn't too familiar with the original Souvenir album, so I'm playing it now on Spotify. Of course, I played the songs with Henley/Frey/Meisner participation first.

In terms of the upcoming cover song, I'll be buying the album when it comes out. I don't know what to expect, but I'll soon find out.

NightMistBlue
10-03-2017, 02:27 PM
I saw a track listing for this album yesterday, but can't remember where I saw it. Maybe it was on these forums.

Was surprised to see that Donna Summer recorded a song.

Brooke
10-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Shocking that the 'Eagles' minus Glenn will contribute. They could have just used their names rather than that.......

Not happy.

Annoying Twit
10-03-2017, 05:45 PM
I saw a track listing for this album yesterday, but can't remember where I saw it. Maybe it was on these forums.

Was surprised to see that Donna Summer recorded a song.

Donna Summer sadly passed on in 2012, so the song must have been recorded some time before that.

The link in my first post above gives a full track listing of the album. I think that all the articles have the same source - presumably a press release - as they have the same information.

In terms of the future of Eagles, I'm certainly not going to make any predictions. I think it's best to just wait and see what happens. They're certainly taking one step at a time.

OntheBorder74
10-07-2017, 07:37 PM
I've only just learned of this track now, being 'out of touch' for a while due to life intervening.

There are reports online, but they all seem to be the same press release. E.g. here: https://1063thefox.com/new-eagles-track-featured-on-dan-fogelberg-tribute-album/

This is a surprise, as I didn't expect Eagles to record again.

BTW: I wasn't too familiar with the original Souvenir album, so I'm playing it now on Spotify. Of course, I played the songs with Henley/Frey/Meisner participation first.

In terms of the upcoming cover song, I'll be buying the album when it comes out. I don't know what to expect, but I'll soon find out.

Being a big Dan Figelberg fan particularly his Netherlands album I love this news; Part of the Plan isn't my favourite Fogelberg song but would fit the Eagles well with it's acoustic chord progression and big harmonies hook!

MaryCalifornia
10-08-2017, 01:38 AM
I don't know this song so I just took a listen and the chorus really sounds like something Poco would have written and performed. It's very up-tempo for the Eagles. Can't wait to hear Joe/Tim/Don's version.

maryc2130
10-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Not my favorite DF song, but I'm glad the Eagles are participating. I've always loved Dan's music and was happy I got to see him in concert at a smaller venue a few years before his death.

Which songs of his did the guys sing back-up on the original recordings?

scottside
10-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Not my favorite DF song, but I'm glad the Eagles are participating. I've always loved Dan's music and was happy I got to see him in concert at a smaller venue a few years before his death.

I know they sang on "As The Raven Flies" and I'm pretty sure they did the vocals on "There's A Place In The World For A Gambler." There may have been others too, but those are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

OntheBorder74
10-08-2017, 02:33 PM
I know they sang on "As The Raven Flies" and I'm pretty sure they did the vocals on "There's A Place In The World For A Gambler." There may have been others too, but those are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

I definitely hear Henley Frey on Someone' Been Tellin You Stories, been listening to that song a lot and could just tell on the chorus its them.

priscillaupstate
10-08-2017, 03:13 PM
https://youtu.be/vAhzT_cPbTE Glenn singing with Dan on Hard To Say.

Delilah
10-10-2017, 09:46 AM
More detailed info is provided on Dan’s website. It’s really interesting to read about all the time and effort it takes to get a tribute cd released especially while planning and executing a tribute concert. It’s not a simple process.

There’s some background info provided about those who contributed to the effort as well as photos. Here’s what Joe’s part says:

PART OF THE PLAN

“Joe Walsh is the hero of this song story. In June of 2011, when I asked him if he wanted to record something for the tribute he said, 'Count me in. I should do something from Souvenirs - probably "Part of the Plan" but I'd like to do them all.' He did record Part of the Plan: he played all the instruments except the keyboards and he sang the lead vocals and harmonies before it was decided that the rest of the Eagles would join him on the track. Unfortunately, in July of 2013 they were at the beginning of their ‘The History of the Eagles - Live in Concert’ world tour, and it was slated to go for a couple of years.

Joe emailed us from all over the world, saying he had the tape with him and he would try to get the guys into a studio in London, Australia, etc. In December of 2015, Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmidt recorded their vocals and sent them to Joe and on February 3rd, 2016, the last track was finished. For his credits, Joe wrote:

Produced by Joe Walsh
Recorded at home
I miss you Danny

One of the few people on the planet that Dan didn't mind calling him 'Danny', Joe went above and beyond to honor Dan."
~ Jean Fogelberg

http://www.danfogelberg.com/thetributestories.html

**There was already an ongoing discussion about this album in the Eagles press thread (post #2938 ). Perhaps if it’s not too much trouble, a moderator can move those posts to this one for the sake of continuity/cohesion. Just a suggestion. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225&page=294 **

Freypower
10-10-2017, 05:21 PM
So Henley & Schmit did their background vocals while Glenn was in hospital.

OK.

VillageGirl
10-10-2017, 05:22 PM
More detailed info is provided on Dan’s website. It’s really interesting to read about all the time and effort it takes to get a tribute cd released especially while planning and executing a tribute concert. It’s not a simple process.

There’s some background info provided about those who contributed to the effort as well as photos. Here’s what Joe’s part says:

http://www.danfogelberg.com/thetributestories.html

**There was already an ongoing discussion about this album in the Eagles press thread (post #2938 ). Perhaps if it’s not too much trouble, a moderator can move those posts to this one for the sake of continuity/cohesion. Just a suggestion. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225&page=294 **

Loved reading this! Thanks so much for posting it Delilah.

Dawn
10-10-2017, 06:30 PM

OK.

Also per Jean Fogelberg she had originally reserved a song for the Eagles to record but then it appeared Glenn and Don were each going to do their own Fogelberg song so she gave the song to Jimmy Buffet to do.

Freypower
10-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Also per Jean Fogelberg she had originally reserved a song for the Eagles to record but then it appeared Glenn and Don were each going to do their own Fogelberg song so she gave the song to Jimmy Buffet to do.

I think you miss my point.

sodascouts
10-10-2017, 06:51 PM

What I'm reading, including the above, contradicts the narrative that it was definitely going to be an Eagles song. It sounds more like Joe hoped it would be an Eagles song but for whatever reason the guys couldn't find the time to do it.

OK.

Don at least must have known by December that Glenn would never be able to sing on that track.

VillageGirl
10-10-2017, 06:52 PM

OK.

Perhaps they thought Glenn would be recovered by the New Year and be able to contribute his part at another time? Can't say for sure, as it is hard to guess.

Also, as Glenn was hospitalized for over 2 months, one can't expect his friends/bandmates to remain at the bedside constantly. I doubt they let visitors in for very long with his immunocompromised status, plus ICU has strict rules, even for the famous, unless it is to give the Sacrament of the Sick.

My My
10-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Thanks for posting the article, Delilah. Dan Fogelberg was my second favorite artist(Eagles being first, of course) back in the 70s and early 80s. Like with the Eagles, I attended his concerts whenever he was in town. He was an amazing talent.

New Kid In Town
10-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Well, it does seem that Dan's wife did try to get all four aboard. It was probably too hard to get all of the guys together when they were on breaks from the tour. Since neither Glenn or Don could do their separate songs, we get the song done in February.

According to info Bob S. gave at the time of Glenn's death, the doctors knew by sometime in Dec. 2015 that Glenn would not make it. Don has since acknowledged he visited Glenn in ICU. Apparently Joe and Tim were in NYC in Dec. 2015 too(taken from posts here). I would not be surprised if they also visited him. Generally ICU(from my prior experience) allows very close friends to visit. My sad guess is that by then the guys knew Glenn was not going to make it.

I always loved Dan Fogelberg, saw him in concert way back in the late 70's and will buy the cd to support such a worthy cause.

Dawn
10-10-2017, 10:02 PM
What I'm reading, including the above, contradicts the narrative that it was definitely going to be an Eagles song. It sounds more like Joe hoped it would be an Eagles song but for whatever reason the guys couldn't find the time to do it.

Don at least must have known by December that Glenn would never be able to sing on that track.

My take is Glenn Frey especially would have done a fabulous cover of a Dan Fogelberg song and I am sorry he never got the chance. I agree Azoff and Don had to know.

Dawn
10-10-2017, 10:05 PM
I think you miss my point.

I'm sorry.

chaim
10-10-2017, 10:24 PM
The way I read it Freypower's point wasn't that Don and Timothy should have been by Glenn's side all the time, but that they were recording as the "Eagles", knowing that Glenn couldn't participate.

sodascouts
10-10-2017, 10:42 PM
The way I read it Freypower's point wasn't that Don and Timothy should have been by Glenn's side all the time, but that they were recording as the "Eagles", knowing that Glenn couldn't participate.

That's how I read it, too.

But... maybe they didn't intend to release it as the Eagles at that time? Maybe it was going to be billed as Joe Walsh with Don and Timothy backing?

Maybe they only decided to release it as the Eagles now, because they believe that touring with Deacon ("the only way we'd do it") has legitimized the concept of a continuing Eagles which they can parlay into releasing music as the Eagles with just the three of them.

The only alternative I can think of is that Glenn didn't want the Eagles to participate (the Eagles have NEVER appeared on an album like this, regardless of the cause) and that's why the solo songs were going to happen instead; that as soon as they realized Glenn would no longer be able to block it, they finished the song. That's complete conjecture, though.

Dawn
10-10-2017, 11:17 PM
I believe Glenn wanted to do his own cover and arrangement and that he simply ran out of time. For those who may not know his music DF wrote some beautiful songs. Glenn had soul and connected emotionally/passionately to the songs he sang. I know he would have done a great job.

Dawn
10-10-2017, 11:19 PM
That's how I read it, too.

But... maybe they didn't intend to release it as the Eagles at that time? Maybe it was going to be billed as Joe Walsh with Don and Timothy backing?

Maybe they only decided to release it as the Eagles now, because they believe that touring with Deacon ("the only way we'd do it") has legitimized the concept of a continuing Eagles which they can parlay into releasing music as the Eagles with just the three of them.

The only alternative I can think of is that Glenn didn't want the Eagles to participate (the Eagles have NEVER appeared on an album like this, regardless of the cause) and that's why the solo songs were going to happen instead; that as soon as they realized Glenn would no longer be able to block it, they finished the song. That's complete conjecture, though.

This.

Dawn
10-10-2017, 11:23 PM

Thank you.

Freypower
10-10-2017, 11:50 PM

Thanks Toni. I didn't wish to elaborate when I first posted. I knew nothing about Glenn possibly doing a song of his own; but the fact is he didn't. Instead we have a song by three people billing themselves as 'Eagles'. I would hazard a guess that Henley & Schmit did separate backing vocals tracks & sent them to Walsh. I doubt they were in a studio together.

There isn't any point in continuing to state my opinion on this state of affairs.

Delilah
10-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Thank you, moderator, for moving the original posts over to this thread.:-)

“Part of the Plan” is not a favorite of mine either.

For the Souvenirs album Don sings backup and plays drums on “Better Change” and Glenn and Don sing backing vocals on “Someone’s Been Telling You Stories.”

On “There’s a Place in the World for a Gambler” Don, Randy, and 2 ladies sing backing vocals along with someone called ‘Junior (Himself) Vocalcords’ —Glenn, I assume.

Freypower
10-11-2017, 05:23 PM

For the Souvenirs album Don sings backup and plays drums on “Better Change” and Glenn and Don sing backing vocals on “Someone’s Been Telling You Stories.”

On “There’s a Place in the World for a Gambler” Don, Randy, and 2 ladies sing backing vocals along with someone called ‘Junior (Himself) Vocalcords’ —Glenn, I assume.

If he isn't credited by name I would not assume any such thing. When was Glenn ever referred to as Junior? Why wouldn't he be named?

Annoying Twit
10-11-2017, 05:28 PM
If he isn't credited by name I would not assume any such thing. When was Glenn ever referred to as Junior? Why wouldn't he be named?

As there are family members involved in the choir (I believe), I would wildly guess that 'junior' is a very young person.

Delilah
10-11-2017, 11:35 PM

1. Glenn was known by several nicknames over the years. He was a nickname kind of guy.
2. There have been occasions where credits listed on his Eagles and solo albums used people’s nicknames, like an inside joke.
3. It would be unusual, I would think, to have Don and Randy add backing vocals to someone else’s song without Glenn.

Of course, I could be wrong. The credit for backing vocals actually goes to the “Frontline Gardenia Choir”, made up of the 5 individuals I listed in my previous post.

YoungEaglesFan
10-11-2017, 11:54 PM
Well, it does seem that Dan's wife did try to get all four aboard. It was probably too hard to get all of the guys together when they were on breaks from the tour. Since neither Glenn or Don could do their separate songs, we get the song done in February.

According to info Bob S. gave at the time of Glenn's death, the doctors knew by sometime in Dec. 2015 that Glenn would not make it. Don has since acknowledged he visited Glenn in ICU. Apparently Joe and Tim were in NYC in Dec. 2015 too(taken from posts here). I would not be surprised if they also visited him. Generally ICU(from my prior experience) allows very close friends to visit. My sad guess is that by then the guys knew Glenn was not going to make it.

I always loved Dan Fogelberg, saw him in concert way back in the late 70's and will buy the cd to support such a worthy cause.

Wow I never knew that. I guess I should have researched but I assumed Glenn died unexpectedly not with advance notice. This makes it that much sadder for me. It pains me to picture him living his last days. So sad

New Kid In Town
10-13-2017, 11:13 AM
1. Glenn was known by several nicknames over the years. He was a nickname kind of guy.
2. There have been occasions where credits listed on his Eagles and solo albums used people’s nicknames, like an inside joke.
3. It would be unusual, I would think, to have Don and Randy add backing vocals to someone else’s song without Glenn.

Of course, I could be wrong. The credit for backing vocals actually goes to the “Frontline Gardenia Choir”, made up of the 5 individuals I listed in my previous post.

Delilah - you right about Glenn and his love of nicknames. He was the one who gave everyone in the band and David Geffen, nicknames. He was the youngest of them so he could have been called "Junior".
He had at least three nicknames : "The Lone Arranger", "Roach" and "Elvis". There might have been more but I can't think of them right now.

Dawn
10-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Delilah - you right about Glenn and his love of nicknames. He was the one who gave everyone in the band and David Geffen, nicknames. He was the youngest of them so he could have been called "Junior".
He had at least three nicknames : "The Lone Arranger", "Roach" and "Elvis". There might have been more but I can't think of them right now.

Teen King. ??

New Kid In Town
10-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Thank You Dawn - how could I forget that ?!! I love that one.:blush:

Dawn
10-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Thank You Dawn - how could I forget that ?!! I love that one.:blush:

Too cute NKIT ... whatever "it," is -- Glenn had it from his early days all through his career

My My
10-17-2017, 06:32 PM

I am reading Felder's book again. In it he said Irving's other key clients were Joe Walsh, Dan Fogelberg,"known to us as 'Junior Bucks' until he made it big and became 'Major Bucks'". So I guess Junior is Dan Fogelberg.

Delilah
10-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Thanks, My My. That makes sense now. So it seems Glenn wasn’t involved with that song after all.

Annoying Twit
10-18-2017, 11:29 AM
It makes me wonder how much Joe and Eagles members did before Joe joined Eagles. I know of the guest slots at concerts, and Eagles appearing on 'So What', but what else?

Freypower
10-18-2017, 05:36 PM
It makes me wonder how much Joe and Eagles members did before Joe joined Eagles. I know of the guest slots at concerts, and Eagles appearing on 'So What', but what else?

If there were any other recorded collaborations I think we would have found out about them by now.

Annoying Twit
10-18-2017, 06:17 PM
If there were any other recorded collaborations I think we would have found out about them by now.

So no more?

I was speaking for myself: I have nothing like a comprehensive knowledge of all Eagley things that have been done, and assumed that there would likely be more.

Freypower
10-18-2017, 06:34 PM
So no more?

I was speaking for myself: I have nothing like a comprehensive knowledge of all Eagley things that have been done, and assumed that there would likely be more.

Not to my knowledge. If someone else is aware of any prior collaborations, I am sure they will post something. But all I am saying is I've never heard of anything else.

Annoying Twit
10-19-2017, 03:10 AM
Thanks! I was being over-optimistic.

I'm sure there's still stuff out there for me to discover (for myself).

YoungEaglesFan
10-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Thanks! I was being over-optimistic.

I'm sure there's still stuff out there for me to discover (for myself).

Are you talking about recently? Joe Walsh before the eagles?

Annoying Twit
10-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Are you talking about recently? Joe Walsh before the eagles?

Here I was talking generally. But perhaps that is a discussion for another thread rather than diverting this one.

Funk 50
10-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Joe has said that prior to joining Eagles, the band had supported him in concert and vice versa. He also said, the band helped him out with his So What album and he helped them out with their On The Border album.

Joe hired the Eagles to play and sing on Fogelberg's Souvenir album, which he produced. Eagles looked up Bill Szymczyk as a possible replacement for original producer, Glynn Johns after hearing Joe's The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get album. Joe accepted a mid 70s music award on behalf of Eagles. He turned up driving a Tank!

The Eagles appeared on many other artists albums in the 70s, when they spent months in various recording studios, particularly on albums by fellow artists on the Asylum Recording Label. Didn't happen anywhere near as much after Hell Freezes Over.

I hope to learn more from Joe's forthcoming (when it's done) book.

Philh
11-16-2017, 01:52 PM
I do like Part Of The Plan from the tribute album. Joe does a good job but I can’t really hear Don and Timothy on harmony vocals. Does anyone know when this was recorded?

Delilah
11-16-2017, 02:57 PM
I do like Part Of The Plan from the tribute album. Joe does a good job but I can’t really hear Don and Timothy on harmony vocals. Does anyone know when this was recorded?

I thought the same thing. Actually what I kept hearing was Joe’s voice in the backing vocal. It’s kind of like he drowned Don and Timothy out a little. I didn’t know his voice was added to the harmonies.

If you look upthread (post #21) you will find some details on it. Joe’s lead part was recorded a couple of years ago. Don and Timothy added their tracks Dec. 2015.

Annoying Twit
11-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Where can you buy/hear the track? I can only find reference to the album being available tomorrow.

Delilah
11-16-2017, 04:22 PM
AT, the whole album is available on SoundCloud, which can be accessed via this Billboard article.

”Garth Brooks, Eagles, Zac Brown Band & More Honor Dan Fogelberg on New Tribute Album: Premiere” Billboard, Nov. 15, 2017 (https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8038437/tribute-dan-fogelberg-garth-brooks-donna-summer-eagles-album-stream)

Annoying Twit
11-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Thanks. Listening now. It's very Joe.

Dawn
11-17-2017, 04:28 PM
The whole Tribute album is great, I have listened to all the tracks and as I had hoped the Train and Patrick Monahan cover of Dan's song "Same Ole Lang Syne" is amazing and my favorite track.

Dawn
11-17-2017, 08:07 PM
"Originally the members of the Eagles were each going to contribute a track, but eventually vocals were overdubbed on the Walsh track, making it an official Eagles song.

Two artists didn’t live to see their contributions released: Dobie Gray and Donna Summer both contributed, but both died of cancer. With the newly re-formed Eagles, could this be the last release from that band as well?

“Gosh, what’s your definition of the Eagles?” Azoff said. “Glenn’s gone.”

http://bestclassicbands.com/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/

----------

sodascouts
11-18-2017, 02:24 PM
:jawdrop:

New Kid In Town
11-18-2017, 04:02 PM
If Irving really believed that, then we would not have this new incarnation of the Eagles. No response necessary - I was just giving my opinion and don't want to get into a debate or argument.

I hope to get the cd with the next couple of weeks. I always loved Dan Fogelberg.

Dawn
11-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Azoff was a very close friend of Dan Fogelberg it's a shame it took 7 long years to get this done with profits earmarked to help cure prostrate cancer, I'm glad it's finally out.