PDA

View Full Version : Glenn’s LA Home For Sale

Philh
10-13-2017, 05:32 PM
LA Times reports that longtime Los Angeles Home of Glenn and Cindy is up for sale at $15M

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-glenn-frey-brentwood-20171013-story.html

NightMistBlue
10-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Gosh it's so pretty and serene. Classy but not stuffy.

The "8.25 bathrooms" makes me wonder - what the heck is a quarter bathroom like? Maybe just someplace to wash your hands.

Magnolia
10-13-2017, 11:31 PM
It's such a gorgeous house and grounds. Legitimately my dream home. Oh, if only I had the money.

Magnolia
10-13-2017, 11:34 PM
Gosh it's so pretty and serene. Classy but not stuffy.

The "8.25 bathrooms" makes me wonder - what the heck is a quarter bathroom like? Maybe just someplace to wash your hands.

I was curious too so I looked it up. Apparently, it is usually a toilet or a shower stall.

Pippinwhite
10-14-2017, 01:00 AM
Loved looking at the pictures, and got a little lump in my throat when I saw the pics of the backyard with the swingset and trampoline...

sodascouts
10-14-2017, 11:44 AM
I have to wonder if, other than the backyard, if all of that was really their decor. It all seems so "Better Homes and Gardens" that I wonder if they redecorated a bit to help it sell. The only room that doesn't look like it came out of a magazine for a model home is the one with the striped chairs.

New Kid In Town
10-14-2017, 12:31 PM
I remember seeing a shot in something like a H & G magazine of the living room with Cindy sitting on a couch and that orange modern art painting behind her. Also remember a shot of Cindy and Glenn in the garden which looks similar to the photos listed in the photo gallery. It's a beautiful house.
I guess it's too big for just Cindy and Otis. Does Taylor still live in NYC ? I thought maybe Deacon would still live at home too.

sodascouts
10-14-2017, 12:50 PM
The magazine spreads were of another house, but if the furniture was similar, I can see what you're saying.

I'm not an authority on such things and I don't know any addresses or anything, but I don't think Deacon still lives at home. I could be wrong. Regardless, I doubt they still need six bedrooms and homes on both coasts.

New Kid In Town
10-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Agreed - that is a big house for two people. Did they own the apt. in NYC ?
Just wondering...

sodascouts
10-14-2017, 01:36 PM
No idea.

Dawn
10-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Got the digs in Hawaii on Kauai too

Freypower
10-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Just wondering...

You would have thought they owned the NYC place.

Anyway on the house, did anyone else notice the photo of Glenn & Cindy on a hallway table? That was poignant. There was nothing in the kitchen cupboards yet there was a book near the bed. I did think perhaps it was all a bit whitewashed, but I also thought some of what appeared to be Asian artwork may have reflected Glenn's tastes. So we'll never know. What was sad, was seeing it at all. We should not have had to see his house, not this soon.

Glennhoney
10-14-2017, 09:53 PM
I do remember a friend of the family posted pictures on his facebook page of a Thanksgiving dinner at the Frey's house and it looked exactly like these photos of the house for sale....yard and pool were exactly the same...so sad..I also read somewhere that Cindy recently bought a smaller home in LA...obviously downsizing..

Pippinwhite
10-14-2017, 10:55 PM
I can't blame her for downsizing. Some people are like my mom and can't leave their memories in a house. Some people have to leave a house to maintain their sanity. And that's a lot of house to keep up with.
Cindy obviously loved Glenn with all her heart, and he her. I wish her all the best.

FreyFollower
10-14-2017, 11:01 PM
I have to wonder if, other than the backyard, if all of that was really their decor. It all seems so "Better Homes and Gardens" that I wonder if they redecorated a bit to help it sell. The only room that doesn't look like it came out of a magazine for a model home is the one with the striped chairs.

The decor does remind me a lot of their Aspen home...nicely muted, relaxing tones. I have read that some artists like neutral palettes at home due to some of the hideous patterns used in hotels!
Since it was sold a good while ago, I guess it would be ok to say that if you google realtor.com 805 snowmass creek rd. you will see a number of listings for the Aspen "cabin" and property, and photos. Grammys are visible on shelves behind a piano. The covered bridge over the creek was seen in an interview. The creek was the one Jimmy Buffet's house sitter drove his car into, and inspired him to write Gypsies in the Palace with Glenn.
Coincidentally, the LA home is just "South of Sunset"!

BlueJeanBaby
10-15-2017, 08:11 PM
It's a very classy-looking house, love the outside architecture and grounds too. A little sad to be seeing it, though, given the circumstances.

I also read in the Variety article (http://variety.com/2017/dirt/real-estalker/glenn-frey-los-angeles-mansion-1202589477/) about Cindy having downsized earlier this year.

The Snowmass house was fantastic - my kind of place. Thanks for the tip, FF. Did you notice the skull art piece from OOTN in the living area?

FreyFollower
10-15-2017, 09:23 PM
Yes, I saw the OOTN skull, but I forgot to mention it. I knew somebody would see it! It was sad to see the house, beautiful as it may be. I couldn't help but think of River of Dreams when seeing the gorgeous creek. I know it was their primary residence when the older kids were small.
Personally I would have kept it and sold the others, for my taste. But since Cindy is from Long Beach her folks are probably around LA, and getting older.
Has anyone heard about Glenn's dad, Eddie? Last I heard, he lived around there.

BlueJeanBaby
10-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Yes, I'm sure it was hard to leave both places, with so many memories of raising their family there. Seems contradictory, but sometimes it helps to make a fresh start somewhere new - hopefully that will be the case for Cindy. Don't know about Eddie - I also thought he was in the area.

Brooke
10-16-2017, 11:36 AM
What a beautiful home! Sad to see another "Glenn" thing going away.

Glennsallnighter
10-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Just wondering...
I think Glenn :heart: averted to the fact that he had 'bought' a place in NYC when he said at the show in November 2013 that he was living there. It was his first MSG show on the tour so maybe he used that to make the announcement

UndertheWire
10-18-2017, 08:56 AM
I'm surprised at how modest and non-rockstar both the LA and Snowmass homes were. They are essentially family homes and, yes, they are bigger and better appointed than the average family home but nothing excessive.

Pippinwhite
10-18-2017, 09:16 AM
That actually didn't surprise me at all. Glenn was raised in a hardworking Midwestern home. Some things stay with you, and I suspect the idea of some kind of opulent mansion made his skin crawl. LOL. That just wasn't what he wanted. Nice, yes. Comfortable, yes. But not palatial.

No pictures of the man cave. I suspect there was one. LOLOLOL.

Delilah
10-18-2017, 09:37 AM
It is common for the real estate company to stage a home to have broad appeal and take a “less is more” approach for listing photos, e.g. paint all the walls the same neutral color. I’m not saying the home doesn’t reflect how the Freys actually lived, but the pictures are meant for one thing only: to sell the house at close to listing price as possible.

It is a beautiful house for sure.

FreyFollower
10-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Remember Glenn's quote that "if you went into 10 homes in Beverly Hills, I swear..9 of them would be horribly decorated,and you'd think What a waste of money!" A lot of men don't even have an opinion on such things. And since he was described as driving to a BBQ joint with the family in a mini van and riding on the train in NY with Otis to school, I'd guess his taste to not be extravagant.
I remember someone saying he had an eye for quality in any medium and good taste.

Pippinwhite
10-18-2017, 11:06 AM
FF -- exactly that. Exactly that. I'm reminded of the 70s clip from HOTE when he's talking about someone telling him, "Wow! You're so normal!" and he says, "I know!!" LOLOLOL.

That's just what I'd expect from someone raised in that kind of home where hard work and wise money management were considered essentials.

NightMistBlue
10-18-2017, 12:16 PM
google realtor.com 805 snowmass creek rd. you will see a number of listings for the Aspen "cabin" and property, and photos. Grammys are visible on shelves behind a piano. The covered bridge over the creek was seen in an interview.

Wow, that is gorgeous. The sun room/living room looks incredibly cozy and inviting - love the southwestern touches. The master bathroom looks larger than my entire condo :)

Delilah
10-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Remember Glenn's quote that "if you went into 10 homes in Beverly Hills, I swear..9 of them would be horribly decorated,and you'd think What a waste of money!" A lot of men don't even have an opinion on such things. And since he was described as driving to a BBQ joint with the family in a mini van and riding on the train in NY with Otis to school, I'd guess his taste to not be extravagant.
I remember someone saying he had an eye for quality in any medium and good taste.

Thanks for the reminder, FF, I remember that quote now.

New Kid In Town
10-18-2017, 05:02 PM
The house is beautiful. I really liked the Snowmass house, the grounds were beautiful and the house simple but tastefully decorated.

Glenn struck me as a regular guy. I love that quote - it's so true. Money does not buy good taste.

Pippinwhite
10-18-2017, 06:32 PM
NKIT-- That's what my Mama has always said! I know, poking the sacred cow, but Graceland is a prime example. Elvis' folks were good people, but there is nothing tasteful about the decor in that house. It's opulent, but tacky as it can be. IMHO.

New Kid In Town
10-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Pippin - I have never been to Graceland and always wanted to see it. Your right, from what I have seen on tv and pictures, it is tacky. My Mom used to say the same thing !

Dawn
10-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Graceland. Elvis.

:rockguitar:

NightMistBlue
10-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Got the digs in Hawaii on Kauai too

I wonder if he was close to Timmy's ranch.

sodascouts
10-21-2017, 08:05 PM
Rumor has it that Lindsey Buckingham has a home in Kauai too. The island's not that big. One wonders if all these musicians ran into each other.

This is a bit off topic, but here's a couple cute stories on TripAdvisor about some people running into Glenn and his family on Kauai:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k758471-Glenn_Frey-Kauai_Hawaii.html

Pippinwhite
10-21-2017, 08:23 PM
@soda-- LOLOLOL. Too good. Love the stories. Just goes to show again that Glenn was a great person.

Glennsallnighter
10-23-2017, 06:19 PM
Incredibly cute story Soda- I love it

FreyFollower
10-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks, Soda, for the great stories. I think it does say a lot about an artist---how they treat ordinary people. There are plenty of great ones out there about Glenn(especially yours, of course)!
I spoke with a lady who had worked in Aspen in the '70s. She had encountered many celebrities, some were strange and not so nice. But Glenn she fondly remembered seeing regularly at a favorite bar where they often chatted, referring to him as her "drinking buddy"!

Pippinwhite
10-24-2017, 01:16 AM
@FF-- So very, very true. How famous people treat "just folks" says more about them than just about anything else. Love the story about the lady who worked in Aspen! LOL.

I've been fortunate in that most of the famous people I've met or spoken with (23.5 years at a daily newspaper) have been very gracious. One of the nicest is Marty Stuart, the country singer. He's precious and has never forgotten he's from a little town in the Delta in Mississippi. He's a sweetie.

Jeff Hanna, first owner of Old Black, is another sweetheart of a guy. He's always good for a hug and seems glad to see all his fans. And people, I've seen some obnoxious ones! But he handles them with good humor.

Glenn was brought up in a middle-class Midwestern home, and I think it would have gone against all his raising to be unkind to ordinary folks, or act like he was better than they are. So it makes me glad to see so many stories about his innate decency and kind heart. :inlove:

NightMistBlue
10-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Woah! That was a super-classy move, picking up the other couple's check without telling them. I also liked, "Glenn Frey has made generous contributions to some causes on Kauai escpecially after [Hurricane] Iniki."

Dawn
10-24-2017, 01:17 PM
I believe Glenn Frey had a heart of gold and such a fun sense of humor gotta smile watching him joke around with Shirley Gunch. I could cite other examples of Glenn's generosity but this is one that really underscores how in spite of all his fame and fortune Glenn Frey never lost his connection with his roots and people in his life. It's priceless.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWUSCVeNCQ

New Kid In Town
10-24-2017, 10:28 PM
I also believe you can judge a person by how they treat us regular folks after they become famous. Everything I have ever read about Glenn showed him to be a kind, regular guy who treated people with respect and never forgot where he came from. From everything I have read or heard, he also seemed very close to all his family and was more than generous to them his entire life.

Dawn
10-25-2017, 12:43 AM
I also believe you can judge a person by how they treat us regular folks after they become famous. Everything I have ever read about Glenn showed him to be a kind, regular guy who treated people with respect and never forgot where he came from. From everything I have read or heard, he also seemed very close to all his family and was more than generous to them his entire life.

It's been awhile since I watched that pre-concert video but truthfully I never get tired of the way Glenn joked around while graciously autographing albums and other memorablia for his old friend and early band mate Doug Gunch, his mom Shirley and others. It's just really sweet.

TimBFan
12-13-2017, 08:51 PM
I read that Glenn’s LA home has recently sold. A beautiful home for an amazing man and his family. It made me sad thinking how hard it must have been for his family to have moved.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/83309-glenn-frey-s-los-angeles-home-sells-for-14-million

takeiteasy
11-20-2018, 01:50 PM
I think Glenn :heart: averted to the fact that he had 'bought' a place in NYC when he said at the show in November 2013 that he was living there. It was his first MSG show on the tour so maybe he used that to make the announcement

I'm very interested in these data: When did Glenn Frey move to New York? Any idea of the reasons to do it? Did he live in New York until he passed away?

Pippinwhite
11-20-2018, 03:02 PM
@TIE -- I suspect he had the place in NYC since apparently, his doctors were there, and it probably made it easier to go there for appointments, treatments, etc., than just getting a hotel room all the time. This would have been particularly true if he received any kind of infusion for either the ulcerative colitis or the RA, since these are done via IV and usually take a couple or three hours. But that's pure speculation on my part. I have no evidence to back that up.

FreyFollower
11-20-2018, 03:16 PM
I would agree with your guess, Pippin. I remember from a much older interview that the West always had an appeal to him, he had no interest in New York.

takeiteasy
11-20-2018, 04:17 PM
@TIE -- I suspect he had the place in NYC since apparently, his doctors were there, and it probably made it easier to go there for appointments, treatments, etc., than just getting a hotel room all the time. This would have been particularly true if he received any kind of infusion for either the ulcerative colitis or the RA, since these are done via IV and usually take a couple or three hours. But that's pure speculation on my part. I have no evidence to back that up.

Thanks Pippin, I guessed that his decision had to do with his health issues

Ive always been a dreamer
11-21-2018, 01:34 PM
While Glenn's health could have been one reason, I suspect there were several factors involved around the Frey family's relocation to New York. First of all, his daughter attended NYU and during that time, Glenn accepted an offer to teach a songwriting course at the university. After graduation, Taylor remained in New York. Glenn announced at one of the November, 2013 Madison Square Gardens shows that he had been living in New York for the last year. That timeline coincided with him teaching the songwriting course. I think Deacon also attended Berklee College of Music in Boston for a year or two. Additionally, Glenn had worked some with Alex Gibney on the HOTE documentary there, and then later became involved in working on the Broadway production of what was going to be the Hotel California musical. So I guess it was a logical move considering the amount of time he was spending there.

sodascouts
11-21-2018, 03:36 PM
While Glenn's health could have been one reason, I suspect there were several factors involved around the Frey family's relocation to New York. First of all, his daughter attended NYU and during that time, Glenn accepted an offer to teach a songwriting course at the university. After graduation, Taylor remained in New York. Glenn announced at one of the November, 2013 Madison Square Gardens shows that he had been living in New York for the last year. That timeline coincided with him teaching the songwriting course. I think Deacon also attended Berklee College of Music in Boston for a year or two. Additionally, Glenn had worked some with Alex Gibney on the HOTE documentary there, and then later became involved in working on the Broadway production of what was going to be the Hotel California musical. So I guess it was a logical move considering the amount of time he was spending there.

Yes - I was thinking along these lines as well.

Pippinwhite
11-21-2018, 05:49 PM
@Dreamer and Soda -- That makes sense. I didn't remember where Taylor went to school (or Deacon! LOL.) Thanks for the info. Always glad to learn something new!

New Kid In Town
11-21-2018, 06:03 PM
@Dreamer and Soda -- That makes sense. I didn't remember where Taylor went to school (or Deacon! LOL.) Thanks for the info. Always glad to learn something new!

A few years ago Deacon's FB page said he went to Emerson College in Boston. Dreamer, I was going to reply and then saw you had beat me to it. TY .

Glennsallnighter
11-22-2018, 05:38 AM
I know after his death Cindy was anxious to stay in New York as Otis had settled into school there and she didn't want any more changes in his life at that point.

FreyFollower
11-22-2018, 11:18 AM

I guess I got my timeline wrong. I thought all these things happened in the NY area because he had moved there first, (presumably for health issues), not the other way around. That was just my assumption. I just figured the kids would have naturally gone to school in LA otherwise.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-23-2018, 12:24 AM
I appreciate you setting me straight about which college Deacon attended, NKIT. I knew he went to school in Boston, but I don't know why I thought it was Berklee.

New Kid In Town
11-23-2018, 09:57 AM
I appreciate you setting me straight about which college Deacon attended, NKIT. I knew he went to school in Boston, but I don't know why I thought it was Berklee.

Hi Dreamer, Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Tim's son went to Berklee. I don't know if he graduated though. :-)

sodascouts
11-24-2018, 01:47 PM
It's hard to keep them straight. I always defer to my members with better memories!

Glennsallnighter
11-26-2018, 05:40 AM
I guess I got my timeline wrong. I thought all these things happened in the NY area because he had moved there first, (presumably for health issues), not the other way around. That was just my assumption. I just figured the kids would have naturally gone to school in LA otherwise.

I think Taylor went to school in LA but it seems she went to college in NYC which may coincide with Glenn :heart: moving there if not immediately she started there. I remember thinking at the time what a big move it must have been for her to go from LA to NYC at only about 18/19 years of age!!

sodascouts
11-28-2018, 12:48 AM
Los Angeles and New York have such different "vibes" (to use an LA term, lol). It seems the family might have taken to NYC.