PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular Eagles opinions

YoungEaglesFan
10-22-2017, 11:40 PM
its Always interesting to find people on here that like certain songs that no one else does. I find myself being in the minority on a good amount of songs like visions,I wish you peace and bitter creek. What are some of your unpopular eagles opinions?.

New Kid In Town
10-23-2017, 11:22 AM
I have never like Visions, IWUP, TS, GDWNF and DS. Just my 2cents.....
I love Bitter Creek and most of Bernie's other songs.

chaim
10-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Could this thread be more broad - not just songs, but all things Eagles? I'd love to read the replies! I could probably think of some stuff that wouldn't be easily forgiven. :mrgreen:

thelastresort
10-23-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure how you define unpopular, but here are some of my less conventional opinions:

- The three singles from One of These Nights are the strongest set ever released on an Eagles album.
- Hotel California isn't in the top three best songs on its album.
- The title track and How Long are the only two genuinely superb songs from LROOE.
- Love Will Keep Us Alive is utterly tepid gibberish.
- Tequila Sunrise makes for a superb concert closer (see Houston 77).

groupie2686
10-23-2017, 03:01 PM
I'll share a few...

-I don't care for I Can't Tell You Why or One of These Nights, and I absolutely can't stand Those Shoes.
-I prefer Hotel California to open the show instead of as the first encore.
-I like The Girl From Yesterday and Learn to Be Still and would count the latter as one of my favorite Eagles songs, ever.
-I think, in general, Randy's songs were superior to Tim's.

YoungEaglesFan
10-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Could this thread be more broad - not just songs, but all things Eagles? I'd love to read the replies! I could probably think of some stuff that wouldn't be easily forgiven. :mrgreen:

Yeah that's totally fine, I'd love to see what people would say

YoungEaglesFan
10-23-2017, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure how you define unpopular, but here are some of my less conventional opinions:

- The three singles from One of These Nights are the strongest set ever released on an Eagles album.
- Hotel California isn't in the top three best songs on its album.
- The title track and How Long are the only two genuinely superb songs from LROOE.
- Love Will Keep Us Alive is utterly tepid gibberish.
- Tequila Sunrise makes for a superb concert closer (see Houston 77).

What would be in your opinion the best three songs on Hotel California?

Annoying Twit
10-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Try and Love Again is the best song on HC.

And a fair proportion of that is the guitar solo.

thelastresort
10-23-2017, 03:38 PM
What would be in your opinion the best three songs on Hotel California?

The Last Resort and New Kid in Town by a country mile, then Life in the Fast Lane. I would also personally choose Wasted Time and Pretty Maids over HC.

groupie2686
10-23-2017, 03:46 PM
Hotel California is one of those rare albums where an argument could be made that every song on it is the best song on the album...no filler. I think Victim of Love is the weakest track on it.

YoungEaglesFan
10-23-2017, 04:06 PM
The Last Resort and New Kid in Town by a country mile, then Life in the Fast Lane. I would also personally choose Wasted Time and Pretty Maids over HC.

Hmm, I like Last Resort but it's not top 3 or even 5 for me for the album. Some of the best lyrics written by Don but the music is just ok. The ending is pretty good with the harmonies. I find LITFL to be a bit overrated

New Kid In Town
10-23-2017, 04:35 PM
I have to agree that every song on HC is top notch. VOL is probably the weakest but is still a good song. All the other albums have three great songs, two or three good songs and the rest are fillers.

Freypower
10-23-2017, 04:53 PM
We had an overrated song thread years ago, which seems to be what this is turning into. I will agree with TLR that LWKUA is tepid elevator music, as is the apparently much loved Please Come Home For Christmas, and the one that everyone except me seems to worship, After The Thrill Is Gone.

I have many unpopular opinions, but they are mostly not related to the music. I just don't know if I need to rehash them & open up a can of worms. A lot of them involve my own feelings and therefore they probably can't be discussed in any meaningful manner.

sodascouts
10-23-2017, 09:12 PM
"I Wish You Peace" is a lovely song with a sincerity and warmth I find quite touching.

LuvTim
10-23-2017, 09:43 PM
"I Wish You Peace" is a lovely song with a sincerity and warmth I find quite touching.

Well, I agree with this unpopular opinion. :-)

YoungEaglesFan
10-23-2017, 09:47 PM
We had an overrated song thread years ago, which seems to be what this is turning into. I will agree with TLR that LWKUA is tepid elevator music, as is the apparently much loved Please Come Home For Christmas, and the one that everyone except me seems to worship, After The Thrill Is Gone.

I have many unpopular opinions, but they are mostly not related to the music. I just don't know if I need to rehash them & open up a can of worms. A lot of them involve my own feelings and therefore they probably can't be discussed in any meaningful manner.

I mean outside of the Eagles 3.0 stuff and Glenn, I think anything would be fine to discuss here

Freypower
10-23-2017, 10:18 PM
I mean outside of the Eagles 3.0 stuff and Glenn, I think anything would be fine to discuss here

I think it would be better if I kept quiet.

lacaille0808
10-24-2017, 08:00 AM

I agree. It's a simple easy-listening kind of song with a nice message.

Pippinwhite
10-24-2017, 01:20 PM
I like "I Wish You Peace." It's a nice song, and is a sweet note to mark Bernie's exit from the band.

"The Last Resort" has a fine message, but is way too long, IMHO. It's overwritten and should have been tightened up -- a lot. It's self-indulgence carried a little too far. Brevity, they say, is the essence of wit. HC succeeds because it tells that creepy little story that keeps you interested. LR puts me to sleep after a while. Four minutes should have been the cutoff. That would have forced Don to "write tight". I suspect it would have been a better, more effective song.

Again, all very much My Humble OPINION! :D

Magnolia
10-24-2017, 01:43 PM
I like I Wish You Peace as well. It has a message that could fit with any time frame. From the 70's to even today. Such a sweet message.

Freypower
10-24-2017, 05:44 PM
I like "I Wish You Peace." It's a nice song, and is a sweet note to mark Bernie's exit from the band.

"The Last Resort" has a fine message, but is way too long, IMHO. It's overwritten and should have been tightened up -- a lot. It's self-indulgence carried a little too far. Brevity, they say, is the essence of wit. HC succeeds because it tells that creepy little story that keeps you interested. LR puts me to sleep after a while. Four minutes should have been the cutoff. That would have forced Don to "write tight". I suspect it would have been a better, more effective song.

I can post in this thread if I stick to music.

The major problem with the entire HC album is Henley's domination of it.

Here is my other famous unpopular opinion, which is that I love I Love To Watch A Woman Dance. :grooving:

Pippinwhite
10-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Not unpopular to me. I looove that song! Swoon! :inlove:

thelastresort
10-24-2017, 06:52 PM
I have no problem with either of I Wish You Peace or I Love to Watch a Woman Dance, my main reservation with both (and this also applies to Learn to Be Still too) is that they just don't sound like Eagles songs.

Magnolia
10-24-2017, 07:01 PM
I'm not a big fan of the song Hotel California. I know it's their most recognizable song but it just does nothing for me. I can easily skip it when it plays.

sodascouts
10-24-2017, 08:38 PM
I adore "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" and I never understood the pounding it took from some.

chaim
10-24-2017, 10:29 PM
I take back my wish that this thread be about more than music. People getting into trouble because of how they feel about something is not something I'd like to see.

lacaille0808
10-25-2017, 01:01 AM
I'm not a fan of James Dean.
As much as I love Glenn and his voice, this early attempt to rock it out, for me is a flop. His HT 3 yrs later is better. Just IMO.

Pippinwhite
10-25-2017, 01:22 AM
@Magnolia -- HC isn't my favorite track, either. I like it, but like you, I can skip it.

I know "Get You in the Mood" strikes some as being really sexist, and it kind of is, but I figure it was written by a seriously hormonal 22-year-old. LOLOL. There's an honesty about it that makes me chuckle. And as I said in another thread, the thought of a early 20s Sugar singing it, all sexy-like... well, hey. :smokin:

UndertheWire
10-25-2017, 11:05 AM
It's funny how these unpopular opinions bring out a lot of "me too"s.

I don't like Hotel California - I never did and I still don't. It's one of the two Eagles songs I skip (the other being The Disco Strangler).

I like "Get You in the Mood". I don't see it as sexist. It's just a young guy yearning for physical contact with a young woman and promising to make her feel good.

My unpopular opinion is that there's nothing special about the pairing of Joe Walsh and Don Felder. My expectations for a guitar duo were set by Andy Powell/Ted Turner (Wishbone Ash) and Walsh/Felder lacked that magic. According to Martin Turner (WA bass player), Bill Szymzyck's dream was a combination of Wishbone Ash guitars and Eagles vocals and that's what he was trying to achieve on Hotel California.

takeiteasy
11-05-2018, 06:12 PM
"Journey of the Sorcerer"
I know this Eagles song isn't very popular among the fans of the band, but I love it. It's a very good approach to progressive rock: Bernie Leadon made an awesome work here, his banjo is incredible and you can almost hear the sounds of the desert. He was a gifted musician, it's a shame he wouldn't make more things like this in his solo career.
I think the live version is more powerful than the recorded one. Enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/2ufdz0BbEjc

MarthaJo56
11-05-2018, 07:42 PM
I'm not crazy about "Witchy Woman". I think it's because the image of the "raven hair & ruby lips" reminds me of the skanky girls, that to me as an awkward teenager, were the ones who got the cute guys. I never wanted to be like them, though. I just resented them-maybe even envied them. I skip it every time. :razz:

FreyFollower
11-05-2018, 09:46 PM
I'm not crazy about "Witchy Woman". I think it's because the image of the "raven hair & ruby lips" reminds me of the skanky girls, that to me as an awkward teenager, were the ones who got the cute guys. I never wanted to be like them, though. I just resented them-maybe even envied them. I skip it every time. :razz:

I never got that vibe, as I was a very sheltered pre-teen at the time. I just thought it was a fun, "spooky" song, with very cool drums!

sodascouts
11-05-2018, 10:16 PM
"Journey of the Sorcerer"
I know this Eagles song isn't very popular among the fans of the band, but I love it. It's a very good approach to progressive rock: Bernie Leadon made an awesome work here, his banjo is incredible and you can almost hear the sounds of the desert. He was a gifted musician, it's a shame he wouldn't make more things like this in his solo career.
I think the live version is more powerful than the recorded one. Enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/2ufdz0BbEjc

I agree with you. I find this song to be an epic, sweeping, cinematic piece that shows real genius. Perhaps it doesn't "fit in" to what an Eagles track might traditionally sound like but it was brave of the Eagles to step outside of the box.

The live version rocks!

OntheBorder74
11-13-2018, 10:29 AM
I'll share a few...

-I don't care for I Can't Tell You Why or One of These Nights, and I absolutely can't stand Those Shoes.
-I prefer Hotel California to open the show instead of as the first encore.
-I like The Girl From Yesterday and Learn to Be Still and would count the latter as one of my favorite Eagles songs, ever.
-I think, in general, Randy's songs were superior to Tim's.

Agree with all points made here!

Also that the OOTN album was their stringest set

My most unpopular opinions are;

.Hotel California was there least interesting album still ahd good songs but there were no surprises for me on it just generic sound
.Their first no 1 singles Best of My Lvoe and OOTN are anything special, the latter I feel is an unsuccessful hybrid of their sound with Disco
. Teenage Jail maybe simplistic but it's awesome! with a badass guitar riff, nice synth solo, dynamite traded vocas by Henley Fry displaying their individual strengths and Felder's simple but effective solo at the end- what a package even if the lyrics are genuinely terrible :P

OntheBorder74
11-13-2018, 10:35 AM

Agree with this point too, I hate Last Resort it almost has no subtlety to it IMO and is a bore the complete wrong way to do a long narritive song because Henley never really changes his inflection (see Lyin Eyes for that type of song being done right)

Also I wish You Peace is one of those songs where I liked it, then didnt like it because others pointed out to me why they didnt like it, then came roudn to realising I still like it i spite of other's valid arguments against including henley calling it cocktail music. It works best in context as a placcid ending to the very Soft Rock dominated OOTN album which was a very arranged album, it fit on it perfectly....IMO

Ive always been a dreamer
11-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Well - I never weighed in on this thread so I'll do that now since it's been revived.

For starters, I am one that doesn't think there is any such thing as a bad Eagles song. However, some are, obviously, better than others. The songs I think are the weakest are Take the Devil, Earlybird, and The Disco Strangler. Some of the more unpopular songs that I really like are Visions, The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, Love Will Keep Us Alive, Learn To Be Still, and I Love to Watch a Woman Dance.

Now, something about some fan opinions that I disagree with is when they don't like post-reunion Eagles songs because they sound too much like 'solo' songs. First of all, I would argue that much of that mindset is simply because the band members actually had solo careers in the 80's. And just because something sounds like a solo song doesn't mean it's bad. I would also argue that there were just as many of the 70's songs, especially from Bernie, Randy, and Joe, that sound like solo songs as well, but we don't think of it that way because it was before their solo careers (except Joe). I think what it boils down to is some fans don't like Eagles song that sound like Don or Glenn solo songs.

sodascouts
11-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Agree with all points made here!

Also that the OOTN album was their stringest set

My most unpopular opinions are;

.Hotel California was there least interesting album still ahd good songs but there were no surprises for me on it just generic sound
.Their first no 1 singles Best of My Lvoe and OOTN are anything special, the latter I feel is an unsuccessful hybrid of their sound with Disco
. Teenage Jail maybe simplistic but it's awesome! with a badass guitar riff, nice synth solo, dynamite traded vocas by Henley Fry displaying their individual strengths and Felder's simple but effective solo at the end- what a package even if the lyrics are genuinely terrible :P

I don't agree that Hotel California was their least interesting album but I don't think it's their best, and that in itself is an unpopular opinion!

takeiteasy
11-26-2018, 05:49 PM
"Waiting in the Weeds" A song which could has been a very good one but it became a wasted chance because Henley put all the metaphors he knew in it. In my humble opinion this song is overloaded and it's too long. Now I realize why Frey and Henley were a very good tandem of composers: they balanced each other.
I like it though, I listen to it from time to time but... what about "Pretty Metaphors in a Row" as an alternative title? :hmm:

Delilah
11-26-2018, 06:46 PM
My unpopular opinion is I don’t think it’s so great that the band tries to sound just like the record at their live shows. Some spontaneity and ad-libbing serve live performances well, especially at rock concerts. I think the band would get a lot less grief from critics if they hadn’t tried to replicate note for note what they did in the studio.

sodascouts
11-26-2018, 09:34 PM
"Waiting in the Weeds" A song which could has been a very good one but it became a wasted chance because Henley put all the metaphors he knew in it. In my humble opinion this song is overloaded and it's too long. Now I realize why Frey and Henley were a very good tandem of composers: they balanced each other.
I like it though, I listen to it from time to time but... what about "Pretty Metaphors in a Row" as an alternative title? :hmm:

Ouch!

I must admit I can't agree with you there!

A song I find highly overrated, though, is "Life's Been Good." Just a joke song, really, with a catchy riff.

sodascouts
11-26-2018, 09:35 PM
My unpopular opinion is I don’t think it’s so great that the band tries to sound just like the record at their live shows. Some spontaneity and ad-libbing serve live performances well, especially at rock concerts. I think the band would get a lot less grief from critics if they hadn’t tried to replicate note for note what they did in the studio.

I'm on board with this one. Differences in live versions make them more fun and interesting.

WalshFan88
11-26-2018, 09:37 PM
A song I find highly overrated, though, is "Life's Been Good." Just a joke song, really, with a catchy riff.

Noooooo! Say it isn't so Soda! :D

One of my favorites. I love the lyrics and they really have Joe's personality and antics all through them. It's a fun song. I will agree about the riff though. I always loved hearing the Eagles do it. The one on the Eagles Live version is the one I listen to. The one on BSF is fine, but I really love hearing the whole band do it. I admit to not looking for deep meaning or serious content in songs though. Probably why I like pop music and mostly hits rather than deep tracks.

WalshFan88
11-26-2018, 09:43 PM
I personally like the fact the Eagles always did it like the record.

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a concert and they change a part in a song I love. For me, the studio recordings will always beat any live recording that has been changed up. The studio recordings are precious to me and once they were recorded, is how they should be done from then on out. I don't care too much for improvisation. I hated when the Eagles did Hotel California like they did on HFO. Some things (well, most if not all things) shouldn't be messed with. I realize this is probably more of an unpopular opinion in the minds of concertgoers. But I like it note for note, breath for breath accurate. I like it exact.

sodascouts
11-26-2018, 11:51 PM
I personally like the fact the Eagles always did it like the record.

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a concert and they change a part in a song I love. For me, the studio recordings will always beat any live recording that has been changed up. The studio recordings are precious to me and once they were recorded, is how they should be done from then on out. I don't care too much for improvisation. I hated when the Eagles did Hotel California like they did on HFO. Some things (well, most if not all things) shouldn't be messed with. I realize this is probably more of an unpopular opinion in the minds of concertgoers. But I like it note for note, breath for breath accurate. I like it exact.

Well, there is such a thing as changing it TOO much....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8cYxBqJeuU

WalshFan88
11-27-2018, 01:06 AM
Well, there is such a thing as changing it TOO much....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8cYxBqJeuU

LOL yes. Along with the version of HC he did with the monkey noises. That permanently scarred me. lol

sodascouts
11-27-2018, 02:14 AM
LOL yes. Along with the version of HC he did with the monkey noises. That permanently scarred me. lol

I think Don has successfully had that purged from the internet. I personally have tried to bleach it from my brain, lol.

11-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Okay - I'm with Austin here regarding Life's Been Good ... I don't think of it as just a joke song with a catchy riff. The song uses humor very cleverly to make social commentary, which is put to incredible music that gets permanently etched in your brain. It has become one of the great classic rock songs that almost everyone recognizes from the first opening notes. And I also agree with Austin that the Eagles version elevates what was already a great song to a whole 'nother level.

And as far as the band's live performances, I get that there are some who prefer more spontaneity. But, I'll repeat what I've said many times before ... I can't argue with success. They are one of the top selling recording and live bands of all time, so they must have done something right. Their formula worked for them and certainly proved to have mass appeal so I can't blame them for sticking with it.

vshiloh
11-27-2018, 08:36 PM
Some of these may be very unpopular and some people may like but here's my best and worst song on every album picks

Eagles - Witchy Woman
Desperado - Hard to pick but probably Doolin-Dalton. Outlaw Man close behind
On The Border - Ol'55
One Of These Nights - After The Thrill Is Gone
Hotel California - New Kid In Town
The Long Run - Teenage Jail (Sorry but I love it)
Eagles Live - New Kid In Town
HFO - The Last Resort (Hate they stopped it and In The City for the 94-96 tours)
Millennium Live CD - Ol'55 and Those Shoes
Melbourne DVD - Hole In The World
Long Road Out Of Eden - Waiting In The Weeds
Eagles VERY INCOMPLETE DC 1977 DVD - New Kid In Town
HC 40th Anniversary Live CD - Funk #49, Eagles song would be New Kid In Town

WalshFan88
11-27-2018, 09:07 PM
I think Don has successfully had that purged from the internet. I personally have tried to bleach it from my brain, lol.

Me too, to no success! lol

WalshFan88
11-27-2018, 09:07 PM
Okay - I'm with Austin here regarding Life's Been Good ... I don't think of it as just a joke song with a catchy riff. The song uses humor very cleverly to make social commentary, which is put to incredible music that gets permanently etched in your brain. It has become one of the great classic rock songs that almost everyone recognizes from the first opening notes. And I also agree with Austin that the Eagles version elevates what was already a great song to a whole 'nother level.

And as far as the band's live performances, I get that there are some who prefer more spontaneity. But, I'll repeat what I've said many times before ... I can't argue with success. They are one of the top selling recording and live bands of all time, so they must have done something right. Their formula worked for them and certainly proved to have mass appeal so I can't blame them for sticking with it.

Agreed! You shouldn't mess with perfection.

sodascouts
11-28-2018, 12:46 AM
Some of these may be very unpopular and some people may like but here's my best and worst song on every album picks

HFO - The Last Resort (Hate they stopped it and In The City for the 94-96 tours)

Another one of my unpopular opinions - I really don't like "The Last Resort." The melody may be nice but the lyrics aren't (IMHO).

WalshFan88
11-28-2018, 02:05 AM
Another one of my unpopular opinions - I really don't like "The Last Resort." The melody may be nice but the lyrics aren't (IMHO).

I agree. And not just because of the "Jesus people" or "Jesus! People" debate or any controversy. I just don't find them all that interesting.

FreyFollower
11-28-2018, 03:12 AM
I concur. While I am a nature lover, I find the implications in the song offensive. I know this has been discussed elsewhere. Despite the beautiful arrangements, some of the lyrics grate my ears every time.

CAinOH
11-28-2018, 09:05 AM
I agree. And not just because of the "Jesus people" or "Jesus! People" debate or any controversy. I just don't find them all that interesting.

Thank you. I wonder what the intent of that line is every time I hear it.

groupie2686
11-28-2018, 01:50 PM

This made me laugh...my mom and I have had this debate. She claims it is "Jesus people" and I think it is "Jesus! People". I mean, what is a "Jesus person?" Anyway, I agree, not one of my favorite songs either.

thelastresort
11-28-2018, 07:27 PM
I agree with the Waiting in the Weeds point, Henley did himself no favours sometimes on LROOE, whether it be on Waiting in the Weeds and making it about 100 times more convoluted than it needed to be, or stuff like Business As Usual and Frail Grasp, or elements of Cass County, where he is so far up himself he may as well have retired from songwriting and taken up the role of travelling preacher for a living.

All that said, I adore The Last Resort more than any other Eagles song, and I think the difference I feel between that and latter-day angry Henley is that TLR was written with a naive but oh-so-correct youthful cynicism, the sort of passion every 20-something who falls into a phase or trend feels. The fact that people on the internet are still outraged four decades later that he may or may not have blamed religion for part of it shows just how cleverly composed it was.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion: aside from a couple of guitar riffs (mainly his work on the HC album), Joe had an immeasurably better and more creative output in his James Gang and Barnstorm days than he did at any point when or after he joined the Eagles. For me he peaked with the eponymous Barnstorm album.

sodascouts
11-28-2018, 07:42 PM
I agree with the Waiting in the Weeds point, Henley did himself no favours sometimes on LROOE, whether it be on Waiting in the Weeds and making it about 100 times more convoluted than it needed to be, or stuff like Business As Usual and Frail Grasp, or elements of Cass County, where he is so far up himself he may as well have retired from songwriting and taken up the role of travelling preacher for a living.

I adore WITW but the title track is ridiculously self-indulgent and Frail Grasp is unbearably self-righteous so yeah, I see what you're saying.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion: aside from a couple of guitar riffs (mainly his work on the HC album), Joe had an immeasurably better and more creative output in his James Gang and Barnstorm days than he did at any point when or after he joined the Eagles. For me he peaked with the eponymous Barnstorm album.Apart from Pretty Maids, I agree.

I also think it's totally "Put up a bunch of ugly houses and Jesus, people bought 'em" - that makes sense because he's saying "wow, I can't believe people bought those ugly houses, built on land that's been raped!"

thelastresort
11-28-2018, 07:55 PM
I adore WITW but the title track is ridiculously self-indulgent and Frail Grasp is unbearably self-righteous so yeah, I see what you're saying.

Apart from Pretty Maids, I agree.

I also think it's totally "Put up a bunch of ugly houses and Jesus, people bought 'em" - that makes sense because he's saying "wow, I can't believe people bought those ugly houses, built on land that's been raped!"

I am about to contradict myself here, but I love the title track from LROOE; the tight co-lead vocals, Joe's solo and the Eastern influences on the music. Henley is in his usual form, granted, and the petroleum club verse is rather laboured, but I think some of his output in that song is wonderful - the final verse, especially the use of Caesar, I think is probably as strong as any he wrote in the Reunion era.

I too believe he meant 'Jesus, people...', but, like 'bloody stupid waste' in LROOE, it is a testament to his lyrical ability that it is so open ended either interpretation could be valid. Given his reluctance to sing 'god damn thing' in Life in the Fast Lane these days though, I do wonder if he regrets it!

WalshFan88
11-28-2018, 08:56 PM
Anyway, my unpopular opinion: aside from a couple of guitar riffs (mainly his work on the HC album), Joe had an immeasurably better and more creative output in his James Gang and Barnstorm days than he did at any point when or after he joined the Eagles. For me he peaked with the eponymous Barnstorm album.

I like Joe better in the Eagles than solo, but I like his solo stuff. I prefer LBG as a Eagles song, but the rest I love his solo versions a lot. For me while Barnstorm is great, I'd put "Smoker" and "So What" before it. For instance, I prefer the version of TTS on So What.

For me, I'd put the LITFL riff, his solo on HC, the slide intro on TLR (song), etc at the same level as any contributions Felder had in the band. And I like Felder fine, but I feel that the Eagles got measurably better when they dumped Bernie Leadon for Joe Walsh. Sorry Bernie, lol. I'm just not a fan. I respect him for his time in the band and his talent, but that's where it ends. They were a super group with Joe. I just really, really, don't like the early Eagles sound outside of some hits like TIE, PEF, and WW. The Desperado album is dreadful to me. I like country music, but more modern progressive country where the sounds of rock or RNB/pop are brought in. The whole mandolins and twang guitars don't do a lot for me personally. The "Eagles" hit their peak with HC. I feel that while they would have been known without HC and adding Joe, they were a LOT more successful by adopting a mainstream classic AOR rock sound and ditching the country in "country rock". They sound better to me rocking on songs like VOL than country bluegrass tinged songs like Tequila Sunrise. They were a guitar-driven rock band. They kept their vocal prowess and ability to harmonize but the guitar duo of Walsh and Felder really propelled them forward into rock n' roll greatness.

sodascouts
11-28-2018, 11:06 PM
For me while Barnstorm is great, I'd put "Smoker" and "So What" before it. For instance, I prefer the version of TTS on So What.
True - those two albums are the apex of his solo career, IMHO.

11-29-2018, 12:42 PM
All that said, I adore The Last Resort more than any other Eagles song, and I think the difference I feel between that and latter-day angry Henley is that TLR was written with a naive but oh-so-correct youthful cynicism, the sort of passion every 20-something who falls into a phase or trend feels. The fact that people on the internet are still outraged four decades later that he may or may not have blamed religion for part of it shows just how cleverly composed it was.

I very much agree with TLR's analysis of The Last Resort. Although, I think it could be a bit shorter, I love the song. I don't have to agree with every line in a song to love it - overall I think the tone and the message are spot on and very forward-thinking for its time.

I also agree with the comparison of songs from Long Road Out of Eden. I do think the vocal tone of the LROOE songs mentioned is somewhat harsher and preachy than The Last Resort, and they come across as maybe trying a little too hard to get their messages across. I still like them a lot though, but not as much as The Last Resort. I love Waiting In the Weeds and definitely don't consider it to be harsh or preachy, but I can see where some may think the metaphors are a bit overdone.