PDA

View Full Version : A change of heart for an Eagle

MortSahlFan
11-21-2017, 10:53 AM
When a member of the Eagles did an interview 40 years ago, they had no idea this would all be accessible thanks to internet, youtube, etc... If you read enough, you can sometimes see an overlap of information, and sometimes you see a change... Doesn't have to be a "gotchya" moment, just a way to get the full truth, and maybe to see why the same question asked at one time, has a totally different answer later on. Especially the BEFORE/AFTER a certain guy was fired.. Usually when the guy is in the band, he's sooo great... and then afterwards, sometimes we hear the opposite.

If we put our heads together, we can get closer to the truth.

Dawn
11-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Hmmm. Well I'm not sure what to make of this I presume you are referring to comments about Don Felder.

MortSahlFan
11-21-2017, 07:35 PM
That would be an example if say while he was in the group, you heard how he was their greatest guitarist, and after his departure, if we were to read how _____ was their best..

Chances are the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, since they are promoting themselves by mentioning a band member, so it's rare when there is criticism, but it exists!

New Kid In Town
11-21-2017, 07:56 PM
When a member of the Eagles did an interview 40 years ago, they had no idea this would all be accessible thanks to internet, youtube, etc... If you read enough, you can sometimes see an overlap of information, and sometimes you see a change... Doesn't have to be a "gotchya" moment, just a way to get the full truth, and maybe to see why the same question asked at one time, has a totally different answer later on. Especially the BEFORE/AFTER a certain guy was fired.. Usually when the guy is in the band, he's sooo great... and then afterwards, sometimes we hear the opposite.
If we put our heads together, we can get closer to the truth.

Mort, the Eagles were infamous for their privacy and rarely letting anything leak outside their inner circle. A lot of the info about the fighting, etc. did not come out until the last couple of years before they split up in 1980. In all truth, both Don H. and Glenn have always praised Don Felder's musical ability. Felder has not done the same towards Glenn and Don H. in both his book and interviews up until Glenn's passing.
I have a BIL who has been in bands since he was around 14. My sister is always complaining about the "band drama". So, it is not that unusual. Bands have had in-fighting since bands were first formed.

Freypower
11-21-2017, 08:14 PM
That would be an example if say while he was in the group, you heard how he was their greatest guitarist, and after his departure, if we were to read how _____ was their best..

Chances are the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, since they are promoting themselves by mentioning a band member, so it's rare when there is criticism, but it exists!

I'm sorry, but you will have to be more specific. How can people respond to you when you talk in riddles? I have no idea what you refer to.

chaim
11-21-2017, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure what this thread is about, but they have said Don Felder is a great guitarist before and after he was fired. Don Henley called him "one of the greatest guitarists on the planet" (or something like that) in a recent interview.

But people do indeed change what they say. Sometimes it's because they promote whatever they're doing at the moment, sometimes they genuinely change their mind.

MortSahlFan
11-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Very simple... List off stories that have changed...

On CNN, while being interviewed, Glenn talks about OOTN and looks at the camera and says "Mine" -- (who else claimed it was theirs). If we look back at interviews (text, audio, video) I'm sure there are a few stories, and I'm just interested in accuracy.

I'll give another example from a different band, Pink Floyd... In 78, Gilmour says how Rick Wright wasn't pulling his weight, and fired... When he needed them after Roger left, he said he didn't say that.

YoungEaglesFan
11-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Very simple... List off stories that have changed...

On CNN, while being interviewed, Glenn talks about OOTN and looks at the camera and says "Mine" -- (who else claimed it was theirs). If we look back at interviews (text, audio, video) I'm sure there are a few stories, and I'm just interested in accuracy.

I'll give another example from a different band, Pink Floyd... In 78, Gilmour says how Rick Wright wasn't pulling his weight, and fired... When he needed them after Roger left, he said he didn't say that.

Well Glenn said the chord progression was his as a joke of sorts. He was saying OOTN was his favorite song and said the chord progression in the song was his. I think he was just proud of his contributions to the song and was trying to establish what he had added to the song

chaim
11-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Well Glenn said the chord progression was his as a joke of sorts. He was saying OOTN was his favorite song and said the chord progression in the song was his. I think he was just proud of his contributions to the song and was trying to establish what he had added to the song

Indeed. Glenn was talking about the chord progression, not the song,when he added jokingly "mine". That story has probably always been the same. Glenn's chords, band arrangement. Can't think of stories that have changed at the moment, but there must be tons of them. Personally I have criticized Felder for changing his stories, but I won't go there again.

UndertheWire
11-22-2017, 12:25 PM
I'm a bit confused about the purpose of this. Do you have something specifically in mind or are you just trying to open a discussion? One way to move forward would be to post a quote, preferably with a link or other context, so that the rest of us can follow up with what we've read or heard that supports or contradicts it.

UndertheWire
11-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Here's one:

But I also think that in the back of Irving's mind, he knew that once I make up my mind about something, there's no changing it. And I told him two years ago, 'It's over. You can announce it and whatever. I'm finished' I've got a new life ahead of me--my 302. And I'm going to spend it my way. I was a good soldier for nine years; a pretty good soldier anyway, barring a couple of upheavals now and then. It was just time to change. I didn't want to see the Eagles--the purity of the band--destroyed by going out there and doing "Take it Easy" for the 12th summer in a row, with a beer belly, 38 years old, greed and lost youth etched into the audience's mind.Glenn, 1982 (http://tttan.com/HT/boards/P.hunterkiller/1233799394.html)

scottside
11-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Here's one:
Glenn, 1982 (http://tttan.com/HT/boards/P.hunterkiller/1233799394.html)

I've seen this before, but I'm not sure if he really meant what he said in the interview or if he was just tired of being in the Eagles with all of the infighting, etc. It was about ten years later that he changed his mind. He came up with valid reasons for the change, but to be fair, his solo career was not going well in 1992. STRANGE WEATHER was a complete failure in terms of commercial appeal regardless that it was a great album. Maybe that was some of the impetus to get the Eagles going again.

MortSahlFan
11-22-2017, 03:39 PM
I'm a bit confused about the purpose of this. Do you have something specifically in mind or are you just trying to open a discussion? One way to move forward would be to post a quote, preferably with a link or other context, so that the rest of us can follow up with what we've read or heard that supports or contradicts it.

Chaim mentioned Don Henley changing stories - I'd be curious with that, or anything else related to the Eagles.. Doesn't have to be something big, just a lack of consistency..

Freypower
11-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Chaim mentioned Don Henley changing stories - I'd be curious with that, or anything else related to the Eagles.. Doesn't have to be something big, just a lack of consistency..

Don Henley said it would be 'desperate' and smack of 'greed' for the band to continue without its founder. He then changed his mind.

I'm sorry but I'm really not inclined to search for the interview; I think it may have been with the Washington Post.

To be fair, everyone changes. Everyone moves on. Some handle it better & with more dignity than others.

chaim
11-23-2017, 11:36 PM

Felder, not Henley. There have been a few. Sometimes he has said that Joe came up with the final part of their duet at the end of HC. Sometimes he has said that he came up with it all. In his book he said he himself initially called Victim Of Love "Iron lung", because the riff reminded him of his childhood illness. Later in an interview he said that "someone, probably Glenn" called it Iron Lung and he found it slightly offensive because of his childhood illness. Posts with me complaining about his changing stories can be found in the Felder sub-forum. I won't go digging there to find my comments, because I don't want to start/maintain negativity about the guy here again. And frankly, I don't even care to do remember and discuss that stuff.

EDIT:

I'll rephrase the second sentence: "Sometimes he has said that he came up with the duet parts at the end with Joe."

MortSahlFan
11-24-2017, 09:52 AM
Felder, not Henley. There have been a few. Sometimes he has said that Joe came up with the final part of their duet at the end of HC. Sometimes he has said that he came up with it all. In his book he said he himself initially called Victim Of Love "Iron lung", because the riff reminded him of his childhood illness. Later in an interview he said that "someone, probably Glenn" called it Iron Lung and he found it slightly offensive because of his childhood illness. Posts with me complaining about his changing stories can be found in the Felder sub-forum. I won't go digging there to find my comments, because I don't want to start/maintain negativity about the guy here again. And frankly, I don't even care to do remember and discuss that stuff.

Thanks for the correction... You know, it can be a positive story :)

And, sometimes it is change, and that's interesting, to see how and why, etc.

chaim
11-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the correction... You know, it can be a positive story :)

And, sometimes it is change, and that's interesting, to see how and why, etc.

Yeah, but I haven't paid much attention to changing stories. Some of the Felder ones are all I can remember.