PDA

View Full Version : How's the weather?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

MikeA
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I pay attention to the sirens and flashing TV warnings! When I hear them, I grab a camera and run outside hoping to get a picture! SERIOUSLY!

EagleLady
08-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Not a very wise thing to do IMO

TimothyBFan
08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
I think you've said that before Mike. I think that must be a guy thing, my husband does the same thing and my father used to also. Tho I don't take the warnings always serious, I'm at least smart enough to stay inside. :hilarious:

MikeA
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Not a very wise thing to do IMO

Well EL, I never did claim to be very smart. But now I got this fancy phone camera that takes MOVIES! Shucks, How'd a Tornado look as a SCREEN SAVER?

That big ole Wall Cloud hanging down and a funnel on the ground with car doors and roofing and cows and firetrucks flying around the outside of it with great big ole sparks flying from downed power lines and tennis ball sized hail and rain!

I've seen it...well maybe not the cows and firetrucks. But the hood off a '38 roadster was found 10 miles northeast of where the car it came off of was parked. We know it was his hood because it was painted baby blue. Not too many baby blue '38 roadsters running around! That was the tornado that hit Andover in '91. I didn't get pictures of that one. But I did get one that hit Wichita a few months later.

Wow. What a party!

sodascouts
08-20-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm a chicken. Tornado warning = me in bathroom clutching valuables with a pillow at the ready to duck under should glass and objects start flying.

However, I've only had to do that twice!

I think I take it a lot more seriously than the locals. After I had been in the bathroom a while, I heard knocking. I thought it was people coming down from the higher stories to take shelter on the bottom stories. I opened the bathroom door, slammed it in poor Milton's face as he charged at it, then answered the door....

And it was donation-soliciting Purdue students!!!

I said, "Guys, do you know there is a freaking tornado warning??"

"Uh, we can't quit until 9:00."

"Well, whoever sent you is not gonna get all of these donations IF YOU'RE DEAD!"

So, one of the guys pulled out his cell phone and said, "I've been tracking the weather on this and it doesn't look so bad." Apparently he was accessing weather.com through his cell phone's internet package. I said, "Hmm, aren't those little yellow circles supposed to be tornados?"

"Yeah, but, that's like, 20 miles away..."

Oh man. I just shook my head. "Good luck."

Off they went on their merry way!

MikeA
08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
There have been a couple of times I've clutched my valuables too <LOL>. Had to change pants a couple of times as well. But as long as I can see either the wall cloud or the funnel, and it's a "safe distance" away, I'll watch. My basement isn't that far from any point in my yard. I don't go chasing them, though some guys I know do chase them.

One of my astronomy buddies got on a storm chasing kick a while back. Bought him a van and loaded it with all sorts of high tech equipment...radar, ham radio, video equipment, I don't know what all. He'd head for whatever part of Kansas or Oklahoma "promising" storms were developing. I haven't heard from him in years <LOL> .....he might have actually caught one! :hmm:

We don't get a lot of excitement in Kansas so Tornados are a highlight.

I hope you know I'm joking. No one has more respect for the damage they can do than I. Verna was the coordinator of all the volunteer effort after the 91 tornado and then worked for months interviewing all the the families that had relatives killed by the storm. I was in the trailer park helping with rescue efforts immediately following the storm. 3/4 of the Mobile Homes were destroyed in that park and 13 people were killed.

Yes, I'll watch them and I'll even take pictures of them, but only when it is relatively safe to do so and hope that anyone who lives in tornado alley places caution above curiosity.

AmarilloByMorning
08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
And it was donation-soliciting Purdue students!!! Never underestimate the determination of soliciters - they will not be denied! :)

Really grateful I live next to a lake at the moment. Glad you guys are okay!

MikeA
08-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Here's one of a storm that passed by to our South and Southeast. No Tornadoes, but lots of rain and lightning. Spectacular. I do admit to being somewhat a addict when it comes to storms (and rainbows too!) This phone camera is going to be WILD to have <LOL>

http://mvabercrombie.net/Storm0820.jpg

It was not possible for me to get to some point in the car where power lines and restaurants were not framed and it was gone by the time I got home (1/2 mile away!)

http://mvabercrombie.net/Rainbow0820.jpg

Brooke
08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Great pics Mike. I took one of a rainbow last night, too, after a quick little downpour.

AmarilloByMorning
08-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Awww, there's even a slight second rainbow. That's fantastic! Thanks for posting.

I second your affinity for storms, actually... long as I don't happen to be on my bike twenty miles from home at the time...

MikeA
08-21-2009, 02:53 PM
ABM,

I'm surprised you noticed that second one. It didn't show up in the pic very well though just before I snapped the shot, the big one was NEON and the little one was about as bright as the one you can clearly see in this one.

The one that I'm hoping that someday I'll get a shot of is a "Sundog". It would be hard to get "both" ears of the dog in one frame but I'd love to get a picture of one of these rather rare displays.

If any of you don't know what they are, here's a link with some pictures on Wikipedia. I've seen 4 or 5 of them over the years but never had a camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

Troubadour
08-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the photos, Mike. Great shots. I love storms, too. Unfortunately (or, perhaps, fortunately!) we don't tend to get such spectacular weather in the UK.

Koala
08-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Great pics Mike!

I particularly like the picture with the cloud.

AzEaglesFan
08-22-2009, 03:58 AM
We live in a small town and our house sets on the East border and it is up a little higher than most of the other houses so we can see the entire town. Arizona had a storm come through and Phoenix got lots of rain (we got very little), high winds (we didn't them at all for a change), lots of thunder and lightening. We like to sit on our front porch and watch the storms. We had a lot of lightening "going to ground" but since it wasn't to close we stayed outside. My husband noticed smoke during the storm and we could hear the sirens. I found out later that lightening had hit a house across town and set it on fire. The owners and her neighbors saved what they could but the house burned to the ground. I feel so sorry for the lady and her family they are very nice people.

Prettymaid
08-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Neat pictures Mike!

What a vantage point AZ! Sounds great, but it's too bad about the house burning down.

sodascouts
08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Those are great photos.

AEF, it's just horrible to hear of people losing their home and everything in it. I'm glad they're OK but I know some things are irreplaceable.

AmarilloByMorning
08-25-2009, 12:16 PM
The one that I'm hoping that someday I'll get a shot of is a "Sundog". It would be hard to get "both" ears of the dog in one frame but I'd love to get a picture of one of these rather rare displays.
Mike to quote almost everyone around me my head is almost always in the clouds... I hadn't heard of a Sun Dog though, thank you for the link! Unfortunately I haven't witnessed one of those, but that's likely the byproduct of city life. It's nice to finally understand the Shakes line "Dazzle mine eyes, or do I see three suns?" All this time I had fancied the speaker inebriated! (Sigh.) The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know... I'm going to poke around those weather links on wiki- thank you for the inspiration!

AzEaglesFan
09-23-2009, 03:44 AM
WOW, when we go to the Valley (Phoenix) we travel up a pass and we can see the city in the distant. It always has this ugly brown cloud hanging over it but even with the sun coming up it has never looked red. Great pictures but if it is dust, glad I'm here.

Koala
09-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Wow, What amazing Pictures!
Just I have seen other pictures of the duststorm in the news,
there, they said that it was been the worst dust storm since 1939!?

Here you can to see more incredible pictures of the dust storm.

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-46962-3.html

TimothyBFan
09-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Wow FP! That's amazing! Does that happen often? I can't imagine trying to breath in air like that!

Brooke
09-23-2009, 10:11 AM
That is amazing, Fp! It looks very pretty, but is it hard to breathe? Thanks for showing us.

ticky
09-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Julie, I dont know how far from Broken Hill you are, My friend Colleen says Sydney is getting better now but she posted this video from Broken Hill. It's like, Old Testament stuff. Pretty Scary!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrlD22HwPvI&feature=player_embedded

either way, I hope you all are alright!!

Ive always been a dreamer
09-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Those are amazing pictures and video. Thanks for posting them everyone. FP, I hope everything is going okay and your family and friends are safe and sound.

TimothyBFan
09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
That just looks so scary and I can't even imagine actually being there and seeing that happen. Make me glad I live in Indiana where the only time we get blinded is in the winter and it's called "a white out" from the snow. At least it's clean. YUCK!!!

Freypower
09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the comments. As Koala said it was the first storm of this time since 1939 and the first in my lifetime. Broken Hill is in the far west of New South Wales (I visited there in 1984), a long way from me, but the storm covered the whole of South Australia, NSW and southern Queensland. It cleared reasonably quickly but there was a large amount of dust. (It was hardly a 'crisis' as the hysterical TV news called it). I stayed at home and didn't go out and at my daughter's school they stayed inside. Today is a beautiful, clear spring day. I actually honestly feel that at least I had something different to contribute for a change.

Edit: It was difficult for people who were in the city to breath - a lot of people were wearing face masks. Out here in the suburbs I coughed a couple of times but that was all. My husband said that despite the reduced visibility on his way to work cars were still speeding past him!

ticky
09-23-2009, 08:34 PM
That sounds soo much like how it was back in 1980 when Mt. St. Helens erupted. I can remember hearing it was blowing up on the TV so we hopped in the car and drove up to Skyline blvd, top of the west hills, and watched the side fall off the mountain! it was incredible. The next day we were covered with grey dust. By the weekend we had about 4 inches of it on everything. People in the cities were having to wear masks and most of them just didnt go outside. We had to wear scarves over our nose and mouths when we went to school and they brought out the snow plows to clear the roads, still, it reminded me of what it's like to drive through high water on the roads, with a wake of dust that rose up about 4 feet when you drove through it, but then you had the cloud of dust to contend with. We had 4 garbage cans filled with volcanic dust. After the big blow up, there were about half a dozen small ones and each time, we got dusted. Anyway, your dust storm just brought a lot of that back to mind. I feel for ya'll

sodascouts
09-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Wow. It does seem kind of Old-Testament. Glad you're OK, FP.

Peekaboo
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
I read about that dust storm this morning. Incredible. Those pictures were amazing and that video that Ticky posted gave me chills.

Brooke
09-23-2009, 11:43 PM

Edit: My husband said that despite the reduced visibility on his way to work cars were still speeding past him!

Can you believe the way people drive in bad weather?! Reminds me of our trip to Colorado a couple years ago and the roads were covered with ice. We were driving about 45 mph (on the edge of our seats) and trucks, cars, and semis passed us like it was a normal clear day! :-x

11-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Well, we are getting pounded by the Atlantic Coast tropical storm. Not sure how much longer I'll have power cause I've already had several power surges this morning, but I've got my fingers crossed. The biggest problem is that normally in a tropical storm, the weather is warm. However, it's in the 40's here (low 50's predicted for tomorrow), so if we lose power for several days, of course, we won't have heat. Oh well, we'll deal.

sodascouts
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh no! Here's hoping it doesn't come to that!!

EagleLady
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, The Coast is really getting it pretty bad. We got the effects of it but we didn't lose power.

GlennLover
11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I hope the storm moves out quickly!!:worried:

TimothyBFan
11-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Be safe Dreamer!

Prettymaid
11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
However, it's in the 40's here (low 50's predicted for tomorrow), so if we lose power for several days, of course, we won't have heat. Oh well, we'll deal.

Wow, you're quite a trooper, Dreamer!

Brooke
11-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Yikes! Good luck dreamer.

Troubadour
11-27-2009, 06:12 PM
After about five days of lashing rain, wind and grey, heavy skies, it's finally brightened up a bit. It's cold, but we've had a blue sky today, which has put everyone in a better mood!

Prettymaid
11-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Glad to hear the rain finally stopped Lou.

Brooke
11-30-2009, 03:11 PM
We had a beautiful 64 degrees F Saturday and put Christmas lights up outside. Then Sunday the high was 46 degrees. Brrrr.

Prettymaid
11-30-2009, 09:21 PM
No kidding Brooke! Here too. Quite a change in temperature.

AzEaglesFan
12-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Had rain and hail yesterday so it is cold for us today. Around 50 I think. The darn wind is blowing so that makes it seem colder

TimothyBFan
12-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Holy Crap!! That 4 letter word from last winter has returned!:-x Yuck Yuck Yuck!! Here we go again. At least it started a lot later for us this year. I heard at the beginning of the week, a year ago we had over 30 inches already on the ground. It's really coming down right now.

eaglesvet
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
snowing here for the first time this year...only expect about 3 inches, though.

Prettymaid
12-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Our first dusting of the year this morning.

Brooke
12-07-2009, 02:45 PM
We had a dusting of the white stuff this morning, too. And they say a blizzard is headed our way tomorrow! :woah:

Freypower
12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I know you all hate me when I do this, but man it was hot yesterday.... :hilarious::soda:

cynd1231
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Temperatures in Albuquerque are below normal...had rain/freezing rain on the way home from work and the predictions are for snow (although here in the city it's usually a bust). I don't mind the white stuff -- grew up on the Great Lakes and lived in New England for 20 years -- but I dread having to deal with the locals who don't know how to drive in it and don't have the common sense to slow down!

cynd1231
12-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Twelve hours since my previous post and the day is starting off with a bang....literally! The temps dropped 10 degrees in one minute this morning, followed immediately by freezing rain/sleet, lightening and thunder, followed immediately by heavy snowfall. An hour later we have a heavy blanket of white and the roads are extremely icy. Of course, the locals don't understand the concept of staying OFF the roads so, while schools are delayed by two hours, employers are expecting everyone to be there on schedule. For me that means a 25-mile drive on a road where there are already more than half a dozen reported accidents of varying degrees! I don't have to start for another hour and 45 minutes but it's time to leave....

UPDATE: Left in plenty of time, stopped at the corner and topped off the tank. Streets were a little slick but not as bad as they news led me to believe. Got half a block from the gas station and my radio died...two more blocks and my dash lights went out...another 2 miles and my headlights stopped working. Pulled into the parking lot at Walmart and got out to check, had VERY DIM headlights and decided to head back home. By the time I got here I had NO headlights at all and the engine refused to turn over. Put the battery charger on and it turned over once. Bottom line: the batter was new in March and seems to be fine but the alternator needs to be replaced. I SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN BED!!!!!

sodascouts
12-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Poor thing! That stinks! I'm just glad you got home OK.

Cold rain and sleet here - UGH. Supposed to be high winds tomorrow with more rain and snow showers. Bleck!

Brooke
12-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm just mad. Our weather people predicted a blizzard and all we got was rain and a tiny bit of snowdust. They got everyone excited and nothing. :scowl:

eaglesvet
12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
The opposite for us...they predicted only rain, and we woke up to a couple of inches of snow, followed by ice and rain. So, delayed opening. I'm sure the continued rain will cause it to be to be solid ice by tonight's freeze...:-(

Prettymaid
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
It's very windy and cold here in Central Illinois. Br-r-r-r-r!

Molly
12-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm just mad. Our weather people predicted a blizzard and all we got was rain and a tiny bit of snowdust. They got everyone excited and nothing. :scowl:

I know where your snow is, Brooke...it's in my driveway!!!!

12 or more inches of wet heavy snow overnight. And, it's still flurrying. We should have 14 or 15 inches by suppertime. And tomorrow, the temperature drops and the winds pick up. Can you say windchill?

MikeA
12-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Hate that about the alternator Cyndy. If it is going to happen, it will always happen at the most inconvenient/impossible time!

Woke up in Wichita to 6*. It's 15:13 now and all the way up to 15*. It wouldn't be so bad except for the 22mph winds yielding sub-ZERO wind chill. There was some icing yesterday, but nothing today except COLD.

EagleLady
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
yall will hate me, but it is 74 here and sunny (ducks for cover)

TimothyBFan
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
EL-:steviesmack: :hilarious:

It's dropped 11 degrees in the last hour and the snow is coming down pretty good. They are saying the winds have gotten up to 50 miles per hour gust. Just YUCK!!!!

Brooke
12-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Brrrrrr, 1 degree F and sunny this morning. http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/freezing.gif

Koala
12-17-2009, 02:32 AM
It's snowing since last night.:)
Unfortunately, it should be in the next few days warmer again, so that the snow probably does not remain.:sad:

Stars
12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
We are in the midst of a blizzard here on the east coast of the US! So far, my state has 12 inches of snow, and it's still coming down. I am praying we don't lose power-I do love the first big snowfall of the season, but this is a bit TOO much!:)

Glennsallnighter
12-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Most unusually we have had a light dusting of snow here and its been deeper on the mountains. It doesn't tend to snow here until after Christmas, if at all. Its cleared now and is bright and clear with temperatures around freezing and apparently thats the weather that will usher in Christmas.

eaglesvet
12-19-2009, 10:02 PM
We are in the midst of a blizzard here on the east coast of the US! So far, my state has 12 inches of snow, and it's still coming down. I am praying we don't lose power-I do love the first big snowfall of the season, but this is a bit TOO much!:)
DITTO! But at least it should be a White Christmas for a change! :thumbsup:

(Hey Stars! Long time no speak! :wave:)

Koala
12-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Here it is cold, 16 degrees, and it still snowing a little bit. In the last days is about 9,84 inches snow fallen, so much it has not been snowing for a long time and already not at all in December.

12-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, after going the last 4 winters with hardly any snow where I live, I guess Mother Nature decided she would pay us a long, overdue visit. We had 12 inches of snow dumped on us between Friday night and yesterday. Now, I know for some of you, 12 inches of snow is no big deal, but here in Virginia, some people freak if we get two inches. Our metropolitan area has had over 500 car accidents reported! I'm just thankful there were no casualties and, also, no widespread power outages. Even though it is still very cold here, it is now very sunny so the snow will start melting. I'm not sure if we'll have a white Christmas or not.

EagleLady
12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
More Rain for Tomorrow. :scowl:

Peekaboo
12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
After the crazy blizzard we had last week we are expecting more snow in the next few days. I loved that we had a white Christmas but it's a pain in the butt to drive on snow and ice.

AzEaglesFan
12-28-2009, 06:58 PM
It's cold here, at least to us. 52 degrees, suppose to rain but none yet and of course the wind is blowing.

Koala
12-29-2009, 02:39 AM
On Christmas Eve we had some snow, but on the night of 25 December it began to rain. Then the whole snow had disappeared finally on the 26th of December, since then, it rains every now and then, which would not be so bad if we did not have temperatures around freezing, so the streets here are very smooth.

tbs fanatic
12-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Winter storm hit town on Christmas Eve and we all went 'Oh Yay!' and all started singing 'White Christmas' - then the sprinkling of snow turned into 8 inches, the roads turned into a nightmare and just as we are all digging out there is talk of more snow tomorrow! Needless to say we are now all sick of the White Christmas song - LOL.

ticky
12-29-2009, 06:28 PM
it's snowing :scowl:

Stars
12-29-2009, 06:36 PM
It's very cold and windy here-BRRRR -couldn't sleep last night, the wind was so loud!:sigh:

TimothyBFan
01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Here we go again-Winter in the lake effect area of Indiana. 14 inches yesterday and another 6-12 expected today. They are saying lake effect snow thru Tuesday or Wednesday. They haven't even guessed at totals past today yet. http://bestsmileys.com/winter/6.gif

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/P1010004-1.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/P1010003-1.jpg

Brooke
01-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, TBF! I can't even imagine having that much snow all the time!

We have 2-3 inches on the ground which came over several days. Now it's bitter cold (5 below this morning) so just that little amount will stay around for the next week because these cold temps are staying in the forecast. Usually, it melts off in a day or so.

We do occasionally get big snows, like 8-10 inches, but not often.

GlennLover
01-02-2010, 09:15 PM
We're in the middle of a snowstorm. The neighbour across the street is getting stuck trying to get into his driveway & he has a four wheel drive! We were going to go out & shovel some so we wouldn't have so much to clear tomorrow, but it looks like it's half rain now, too wet to shovel. Hopefully it won't freeze before we get the driveway cleared tomorrow. The plow has gone by twice & piles more snow in every time. :sad:

Koala
01-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Wow this is realy a lot of snow, nice pics!
Since yesterday it is snowing again with us, until now 10 inches snow.

AzEaglesFan
01-03-2010, 04:56 AM
High today was 63 with clear skies and NO WIND. This is they reason we put up with 120 degree summers.

Stars
01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
AZEaglesfan, I envy your warm temps and sunshine. Here it is 22 degrees with high winds, and with the windchill, it feels like it's 6 degrees Fahrenheit-BRRRR! I don't even want to leave the house!

EagleLady
01-03-2010, 12:25 PM
It is 33 here.

Molly
01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Yuck, Willie! "Lake effect snow" -words every Great Laker dreads.

TimothyBFan
01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
And it's still coming down---another 8 expected today! http://bestsmileys.com/winter/9.gif

I want Spring!!!!! http://bestsmileys.com/sun/4.gif

Prettymaid
01-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Wow, TBF! I can't even imagine having that much snow all the time!

We have 2-3 inches on the ground which came over several days. Now it's bitter cold (5 below this morning) so just that little amount will stay around for the next week because these cold temps are staying in the forecast. Usually, it melts off in a day or so.

We do occasionally get big snows, like 8-10 inches, but not often.

Brooke, you and I basically get the same weather. It's been bitterly cold, hasn't it??? :fear:

EagleLady
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Yall keep your cold away from Florida Please! :hilarious:

Brooke
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Well EL, I hear it's cold down by Tampa, too! Like in the 40's for highs.

Yes, Pm, it's awful in these parts! 5 below this morning and not much better the rest of the week and even colder for the weekend! :fear:

EagleLady
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Exactly. It's freezing here too, That's what I meant by keeping The cold up there ;)

Glennsallnighter
01-05-2010, 04:42 AM
It freezing here today, Literally 0 deg C or I think that translates as 32F. We've also had some snow over the last few days since New Year, though not as much as Willie has had! It snowed again last night. They are saying its the coldest winter here in 30 years (Many years we don't get any snow at all).

On New Years Day I took out the new camera and tried a few experimental snaps.....

My house
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/New%20Year%202010/IMG_0028.jpg

Views from front garden
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/New%20Year%202010/IMG_0024.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/New%20Year%202010/IMG_0026.jpg

TimothyBFan
01-05-2010, 09:07 AM
To me that is a perfect snow fall GA!! Beautiful pics!

Update here-still snowing- but suppose to be pretty light today and tomorrow and start in again for Thursday & Friday heavier. I hope not to much tho because we need to drive Dillon back to campus on Friday or Saturday but we will probably drive out of it within an hour of starting out as we get further south of the lake. Good news is that I hear it is warmer here than the other side of the lake- we are at 28 degrees as opposed to Chicago this morning that is down to 11 degrees-but they don't have the snow.

Oh and btw--the little 3 foot decorative black fence in the picture of Larry snow blowing in front of our house---it's GONE!! Buried completely now. :hilarious:

Troubadour
01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Wow, beautiful pics, Lisa! Your house is gorgeous.

Brooke
01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Beautiful pics Ga. You have a lovely home.

That's about the amount of snow we have here. We are also coming up on a new record for cold. It's been 6 days of high temps below 15 degrees F. This morning it was 4 below zero F and we are to have a high of 10 above zero F. http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/freezing.gif

tbs fanatic
01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
It's frigging freezing :evil: Supposed to get snow storm that will go on all day tomorrow (Wed) and part of Thursday plus single digit temps and wind chills - just for some added fun :faint:.

DonFan
01-05-2010, 12:25 PM
We have had a week of frigid temps here in Alabama too, which is relatively rare. The high today is supposed to be 25. I am home recuperating from the flu (so much for taking the flu shot--I blew $25 on it and it was worthless) and I can't seem to get warm. Must be my fever.

Koala
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Beautiful pics, GA!
Here it is still very cold however it snows no longer but in the coming days it will snowing again,says the weather report.

Prettymaid
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
GA, you have a lovely home - I love all the windows!

01-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Those pics of your home are lovely, GA. And Dana, get well soon! That flu is apparently very nasty stuff, but hope you'll be good as new before too long.

Brooke
01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Get well soon Dana!

Glennsallnighter
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Thank you all for the comments about my home Lou, TBF, PM, Koala and Dreamer. Willie, I hope your trip with Dillon goes safely, and Koala I hope you don't get any more snow than you want!! For everybody I hope the temperatures improve. It seems like the global recession has precipatated and Global freeze!!

Dana, get well soon from me as well. I got the shot too but apart from one rotten day, I've been fine. AND mine was free, provided by the state to everybody.

Koala
01-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Koala I hope you don't get any more snow than you want!!
yes, I hope this really is not so much snow comes in the next days, I love snow but right now I can not really enjoy it. Although yesterday I was with my godson (I'am not sure that this is the right word) sled driving that was fun and a nice change!

Glennsallnighter
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
We had a heavy fall of snow which lasted over 3 hours and dumped several more inches of snow on Dublin today. The good news is that I got a call from work to tell me that the school won't reopen until Monday as a result of the weather and the safety implications. :yay: :yay: :yay:

Brooke
01-06-2010, 03:49 PM
:yay: Snow day for you, Ga! Ok, hot chocolate, blazing fire, Glenn on the...........nevermind! :ziplip:

MikeA
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Here in Kansas right now, it is 31* and balmy! However, the low tonight is 9* and the low tomorrow is 0* and WINDY! Can't wait. We are supposed to get a fresh coating of snow and ice.

Good weather for playing guitar!

Glennsallnighter
01-06-2010, 08:08 PM
:yay: Snow day for you, Ga! Ok, hot chocolate, blazing fire, Glenn on the...........nevermind! :ziplip:

TV!

Well later on I got onto the kids school website and guess what.......? YEP!! They're closed as well! Woo Hoo Hoo! I don't even have to get up in the morning :zzz:

What a great week this has turned out to be.

Molly
01-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Willie, the dreaded "Lake Effect Snow" is heading my way. I knew our snow-free stretch wouldn't last forever.

6 to 12 inches expected tomorrow.

I'm working from home tomorrow so I'll be hunkered down for 24 hours or so. I'm getting to be quite skilled with my trust new snowblower.

Dana -feel better.

TimothyBFan
01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
We actually had a snow free day yesterday. But it was very short lived-it just started in again about an hour ago and the weatherman is warning at times it will be coming down at an inch an hour and probably 10-12 inches by this evening. :brickwall: I have completely lost track of how many inches we have gotten since New Years Eve a week ago. I think I heard last night that yesterday was the first day since then that we haven't gotten at least 6 inches in a 24 hour period? How many days till spring?

MikeA
01-07-2010, 10:06 AM
I think you brought up a GREAT IDEA. A Countdown topic for SPRING! Now, if we can all agree on what constitutes SPRING!

5* here with -16 chill factor caused by 20-25mph winds with gusts to 35. We're getting a little snow but it's almost too cold to snow.

ticky
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
The forecast here was 100% chance of rain for the next few weeks aka typical Oregon weather for this time of year. 52 Degrees and right now, and surprisingly dry! but the days are getting Longer and Im expecting to see the crocus's starting to pop up out of the ground any day now. Late next month I'll be planting my sugar snap peas and I got my seed catalogs the day after Christmas. To me, thats the first sign of spring *G* (okay, so I push it a little)

Brooke
01-07-2010, 02:40 PM
We had about 5 inches of the fluffy white stuff over night and now today it's 12 degrees F and the winds are supposed to be gusting to 35 mph. http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/freezing.gif

Hubby brought me to work in the 4 x 4 since our country road will be trying to drift shut by evening.

Ticky, it's very hard to think about spring when it's like this! lol

TimothyBFan
01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
The forecast here was 100% chance of rain for the next few weeks aka typical Oregon weather for this time of year. 52 Degrees and right now, and surprisingly dry! but the days are getting Longer and Im expecting to see the crocus's starting to pop up out of the ground any day now. Late next month I'll be planting my sugar snap peas and I got my seed catalogs the day after Christmas. To me, thats the first sign of spring *G* (okay, so I push it a little)

I really dislike you right now!! :hilarious:

Planting at the end of next month? Are you kidding? We won't even FIND the ground until May at the earliest! :eyebrow:

Glennsallnighter
01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Its freezing hard here still after a day with freezing fog. They are predicting more heavy snow on Sunday night. If it stays this way schools might not resume until the week after next according to the news bulletins coming in anyway.
My 'dusk photoshoot' that I enrolled for on Saturday has been cancelled. Pity. I was looking forward to trying out my new camera with people who know a few things about it.

Wildthyme
01-08-2010, 04:40 AM
We seem to be having a little "warm" spell or maybe more like a "not cold" spell. Its been in about 50-55 F during the day and only down to about 40-45 F at night. We haven't seen much of the sun but there hasn't been much rain to speak of either. Its kind of bizarre but I am not complaining. I am beginning to wonder if we are starting an El Nino cycle...

Glennsallnighter
01-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Would you mind sending it over here please Cami? :wink:

ticky
01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I really dislike you right now!! :hilarious:

Planting at the end of next month? Are you kidding? We won't even FIND the ground until May at the earliest! :eyebrow:

Thats just the early spring crops like Cabbage and peas. We dont get a ton of snow here.. lots of rain, but little snow.. or DIDNT.. the last few years we've been getting a couple of weeks of freeze. I've lost my Dahlia's for about 4 years in a row!! Good thing my Aunt has a good supply of them.

MikeA
01-08-2010, 11:34 AM
1* with -24* chill factor in Wichita this morning! Can we say "COLD"?

Glennsallnighter
01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Another snowfall today and apparently the county councils have run out of grit for the roads. A band of heavy snow will cross the country on Sunday night hitting the eastern part worst. All schools have been closed until Thursday at the earliest as well. Its the coldest winter here since some time in the sixties according to records.

I'm sure some of you are laughing at our total inability to cope with a cold snap. I think the problem is that we are just not prepared for it. We do not buy snow tyres for our cars because say you buy them this winter and use them. Its likely we get a few mild winters in a row and you would have the car sold before you would get to use them again. We have ordered extra grit and salt supplies from abroad but the councils don't have the money to pay the gritters :lol: So the general attitude is to close the place down until its safe again. Thats what it was like when I was a kid and nothing has really changed!

Oh well, 5 days off work..... I'm not complaining!! 8)8)8)

Wildthyme
01-09-2010, 05:55 AM
I'm sure some of you are laughing at our total inability to cope with a cold snap. I think the problem is that we are just not prepared for it. We do not buy snow tyres for our cars because say you buy them this winter and use them. Its likely we get a few mild winters in a row and you would have the car sold before you would get to use them again. We have ordered extra grit and salt supplies from abroad but the councils don't have the money to pay the gritters :lol: So the general attitude is to close the place down until its safe again. Thats what it was like when I was a kid and nothing has really changed!

Nah... its the same way here. We so rarely have snow on the valley floor that a few inches is enough to shut down the schools and keep everyone home from work.

Now when it comes to fog... we are grand champions. If you can't drive 25 miles in a pea soup fog when you can't see past the front of your car and not break a sweat then you can't survive here... :lol:

Peekaboo
01-09-2010, 08:16 AM
The forecast here was 100% chance of rain for the next few weeks aka typical Oregon weather for this time of year. 52 Degrees and right now, and surprisingly dry!

:jealous: I absolutely LOVE to experience 52 degree weather right now...rain or not. It has been bitterly cold here. I got off work at 4am this morning and it was 9 degrees here. With a -10 windchill. I usually like the winter time but after the snow/ice storm we had over Christmas and now the below freezing weather I am soooo ready for the spring. Bring on the warm weather...PLEASE!!!:pray:

Dana, I hope you're feeling better after the flu bug.

GA and Willie, those snow pics you both posted were lovely. I love seeing the landscape of someplace i'm not used to seeing. Oklahoma landscape is pretty boring to me.

MikeA
01-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I found this beautiful winter poem and it reminded me

'WINTER'

a poem by Abigail Elizabeth McIntyre

SHIT, It's Cold !

The End

Koala
01-10-2010, 03:49 AM
lol, mike!

We have permafrost, very strong storm and now and then there falls some snow.http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Wetter/smilie_wet_014.gif
I want sun and at least 25 degrees/75 degrees Fahrenheit !http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Wetter/smilie_wet_004.gif

MikeA
01-10-2010, 08:23 AM
It's 5*f Here but we're coming into a heat wave....really! Above freezing later today and later in the week up into the 40s*f.

It's a good thing that it's going to be warming up. Last summer, I had to rip out a section of the wall in our garage to have an outside faucet replaced. When the weather started turning cold, I plugged in a heating wire and wrapped it around the hot and cold water lines in the exposed wall where I didn't have insulation.

Well the good news is that the water supply lines to the washer didn't freeze.

The bad news is that the drain DID FREEZE! I couldn't wrap the drain because it is PVC (plastic) pipe. Made a huge mess in the utility room when the Washer was ran and decided it was time in the cycle to drain the washing machine!

I have a "trouble light" aimed at the gooseneck in the drain pipe now and am hoping that it is only water in the gooseneck that has frozen. I may have to put in a low wattage bulb in that trouble light now and just leave it on during cold weather. I guess I have another job to do in the Spring in crawling under the storage bench to insulate and repair that section of the wall that I didn't fix last summer!

I HATE plumbing! That same water supply froze and broke flooding our den and front room (ruining around 200 LPs that I had stacked around the front room! That was 15 or 20 years ago and we were gone when it broke. Ruined carpet in both rooms aside from the Albums. Well, it didn't ruin the Albums but certainly ruined the covers.

Glennsallnighter
01-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Ooops Mike! I'm glad the actual LP's survived even if their covers didn't. I love your poem :rofl:. Keep in there. Hopefully it'll be spring soon.

Jess I know you hope it will be spring as well. Thanks for the comments on my snow pictures, I'm sure your area is NOT as boring as you let on.

Well the predicted 10" of snow didn't fall, and a thaw has finally set in with temperatures a few degrees above freezing. Light snow cover and water everywhere (I HATE SLUSH). Should be back to work Thursday and I'm not complaining (Even though I will be by Friday) Too much inertia heer.

Peekaboo
01-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Jess I know you hope it will be spring as well. Thanks for the comments on my snow pictures, I'm sure your area is NOT as boring as you let on.

Oh, but it is boring GA!! Trust me!! Maybe it's just that I need to broaden my horizons a little more. I haven't been outside of Oklahoma much during my life. Just a few times. Maybe a road trip to California will help with that ;-)

Wildthyme
01-12-2010, 03:56 AM
When I went to work at noon today it was about 48 degrees out however by the time I was on my way home at 7:30 pm it was 62 and hour later it was up to 65. We have a warm southern wind blowing in what is probably going to be a deluge. I was able take my dog for a walk without needing a jacket and open my windows and air out my house. Even now at almost midnight is is still nearly 60 degrees out!

Sorry, I am not trying to be cruel to those of you who are freezing but I am just so happy to have this little gasp of spring-like weather for a few hours I had to share.

Brooke
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, just rub it in WT! :lol:

It's a balmy 18 F here this morning!

MikeA
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
WE have freezing/frozen fog this morning. PRETTY! Especially as it has not impacted the roads and it's not heavy enough to damage the trees.

Midnight_Flyer
01-16-2010, 11:36 AM
dull but the snow has gone

AzEaglesFan
01-17-2010, 04:02 AM
72 and really nice today, BUT we are suppose to get a storm in here starting Tues with a lot of rain and colder temps. Like the rain and we need a whole lot of it to make up for the dry summer we had.

Midnight_Flyer
01-17-2010, 07:46 AM
sunny with a blue sky

Koala
01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
It is very cold and it snows again!

EagleLady
01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Hate to brag, but it is 73 and Sunny here ;) :nahnah:

Brooke
01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
We haven't seen the sun for 5 days now. Fog, fog, and more fog and mist. Day and night. 34 F. :scowl:

sodascouts
01-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Absolutely wretched. Dark, freezing rain. Blech!

ticky
01-21-2010, 07:19 PM
It is GORGEOUS out!! its nearly 60 degrees and the sun is warm and there are great big Simpson-esque clouds in the sky!! Im going out to do something!!!! YAY!!!! :partytime:

AzEaglesFan
01-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Wind, rain and more wind and more rain. The Valley (Phoenix) has more water than they can handle, people are getting sand bags from the fire departments to try to keep the water out of their homes. They were having a big car show in Scottsdale and the wind blew a couple of the tents down and damaged some high priced cars. The high country (Flagstaff) can't keep the roads clear and the Highway Patrol has shut down a lot of the roads because of snow and rock slides. I have to go to the Valley tomorrow and I really don't want to go but it's a must go situation. It is suppose to clear out tomorrow afternoon. I wish California wasn't so generous with their storms. lol

Midnight_Flyer
01-22-2010, 07:35 AM
it's raining here :-(

MikeA
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
They were having a big car show in Scottsdale and the wind blew a couple of the tents down and damaged some high priced cars.

My Wife and I, and then later my Brother-In-Law and I, were planning on going to the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale this year. At the last minute, because so much was happening in our family "healthwise", I decided not to go. It's on my "bucket list" to attend one of these auctions and the Granddaddy is the January "Scottsdale" show and auction.

There are several "shows" going on "out there" besides the Barrett-Jackson Auction. Early in the evening last night, it was announced that at one of the shows, several tents had blown down and one person slightly injured and the tent (or part of it anyway) had blown across some "Loop" around the area blocking traffic.

Then, I heard this morning that a couple of tents had blown down at the Barrett-Jackson event! Oh my, 10's of thousands of people attend that event. And the cars! They'd sold in excess of $10,000,00 in cars at the auction and the big money happens on Friday and Saturday! Wondering if they will continue that auction or cancel it? It is supposed to have 10 hours of coverage on the "Speed Channel" today and another 10 hours Saturday!

Barrett-Jackson is the "Meca" of Automobile Collectors!

I'll probably try once again to attend the Barrett-Jackson Auction held in September in Las Vegas. It's not as big as the Scottsdale auction though.

TimothyBFan
01-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Just YUCK!!!

Troubadour
01-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Grey, drizzly, chilly... Rubbish! It has been much nicer the past couple of days though. The snow and ice has disappeared for now.

AzEaglesFan
01-23-2010, 03:27 AM
The "Loop" is part of the freeway system in Phoenix, The wind was so strong that it picked up a huge tent and blew it onto the freeway. The tent, poles and spikes that were holding the tent down hit several vehicles. One driver, when he got out of his truck said that the spikes were actually driven into the ground. The TV stations were showing pictures of it all evening. The flood also washed away a very young boy when his parents were caught in a flash flood while trying to get him to a hospital. The Mother got to shore somehow and got help. The Father and their daughter were pulled to safety. I feel so sorry for this family because they have not been able to locate the boy yet. A house in Cave Creek is hanging over the creek there and the owner thinks the whole house will have to be torn down. It looks like a beautiful home. The owner just seemed to be happy that his family was safe.

Stars
01-25-2010, 09:26 AM
It is absolutely pouring rain here! UGH! I would LOVE to just crawl back in bed, but duty calls! Maybe all this rain will keep people home from the library today, but on the other hand, they may come in in droves!:)

Koala
01-25-2010, 11:39 AM
It is here very cold (14 °F) but sunny!

Midnight_Flyer
01-27-2010, 07:26 AM
cloudy but not too cold

MikeA
01-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Sounds like we're going to get hammered again in Oklahoma and Kansas tomorrow with snow. Or ice.

Molly
01-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Freezing my http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/28_3_71-1.gif off!

Stars
01-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Very cold here and calling for more snow this week-end!:thumbsup: ( as long as I don't have to drive in it!:))

TimothyBFan
01-28-2010, 08:48 AM
This is pretty much how it's looked around here since Christmas. http://bestsmileys.com/winter/22.gif Some of it melted a bit last weekend, but it's back with us once again this week. We shall have snow till end of May at this point.

Brooke
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Freezing my http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/28_3_71-1.gif off!

LOL! Same here Molly! 9 F but no snow.

Peekaboo
01-29-2010, 07:11 PM
We were hit with another big snow/ice storm. Yesterday we got ice and today we got snow. This happened last month on Christmas Eve and I was back in my home town with my family at the time. This time, I'm on my own. I've already called in to work because there's no way i'm gonna try to drive on that ice. Many towns here in OK lost electricity but thankfully that hasn't happened in my town.

Taken from outside my apartment. This first pic is from yesterday. There's half an inch of ice on my car. My dad supplied me with a windsheild cover so it shouldn't be too bad when I try to defrost my windows.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/DSCN0232.jpg

Here's my car today. I'm gonna guess that there's at least 2 inches of snow on my car. The snow is still falling. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/DSCN0237.jpg

EagleLady
01-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Yikes Jess! Good luck getting your car out of that. It's gonna rain here tonight, then cloudy and cool tomorrow.

sodascouts
01-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I feel your pain, Jess! It's been happening in Indiana too. and SOOOOO COOOLLLLDD!!!!

Peekaboo
01-29-2010, 11:59 PM
I'M FREEZING!!!!

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to get into my car and get some of the ice off of my windows. It's freaking cold out there. Even if I tried extremely hard, I still would've had to call in to work. It took me nearly 45 minutes just to get into my car and then the next hour and 15 minutes was my poor attempt at trying to defrost and scrape the ice off my windows. I had good intentions. I figured that since I called in and i'm just stuck inside my apartment being bored as heck, i might as well try to do something productive. I made some progress but I went through 4 cans of de-icer, a 2 pairs of shoes, and 2 pairs of gloves. I'll have to get up earlier than usual tomorrow to finish the job. UGH!!! I'm really not liking the winter season this year.:-x

Koala
01-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Since yesterday and overnight are fallen nearly 16 inches(40cm)snow http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Wetter/smilie_wet_069.gif and the whole weekend should be further snowing!

Oh no Peek, thats sucks!
I am really happy this my car stands in the garage !

Stars
01-30-2010, 04:46 PM
It's snowing like crazy here, and I thought they just predicted flurries!:hilarious: Oh well. As long as I'm not driving in it, I can stay inside and just enjoy the beauty of it!:)

01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Wow Jess - my car looks exactly like yours! :grin: It is both snowing and freezing here. Since about 3:00 a.m., we've had about 12 inches of snow and the temperature tonight is supposed to be around 12° F. I guess Mother Nature is still getting her revenge for letting us go almost 4 winters with no significant snowfall. This is the 2nd time this winter we have had a major snowstorm. This one actually appears to be worse than our December blizzard.

EagleLady
01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
It was cloudy and cold here all day. Cold tonight too

MikeA
02-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I apologize for the missing pictures. They were attached to an email (.EML) that I received. I, like an idiot, forgot to save the pics and when I deleted the eMail, the pics went with it. They were amazing. The first showed a road with snow blown up around 30 or 40 feet on both sides. Another showed the snow blower doing that work along that road. Others showed the snow up almost to the eves of houses and another of a parking lot where cars were completely covered. But "Words" do not do the conditions justice.

I went to the site (http://cu.miningjournal.net/photos/) and searched but didn't find the pics that were in the eMail so who knows if they were legit or not.

Emergency Weather Bulletin

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan after a severe snow storm.

The Mining Journal, Marquette, MI

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern part of Michigan we just recovered from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

Obama did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor's did not blame Obama or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Obama or anyone else either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC did not visit - or even report on this category 5 snow storm.

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Reilly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Sean Penn, No Barbara Streisand,
No Brad Pitt, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food, and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snow bound families..

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on an extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category 5 blizzard of this scale is not usual, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

TimothyBFan
02-01-2010, 09:04 AM
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The way it should be!!

Brooke
02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I got that in an email, too, Mike! Too funny and AMEN!

Freypower
02-01-2010, 09:07 PM
That reminds me of the recent flooding of Machu Picchu in Peru. The usual Australian tourists were whining about the Australian government not getting them out in five minutes flat. Never mind the poor Peruvians who have lost everything. A couple of Australians are inconvenienced and it's the end of the world. (end of rant). :eyebrow:

Koala
02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
More snow http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Wetter/smilie_wet_137.gif, for this reason tomorrow the schools are closed, therefore I have a day off!:partytime:

Stars
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
They are predicting a HUGE snowstorm for Friday night into Saturday. We are supposed to fly out west early Saturday morning, so I can make it to the Wilco concert on my birthday, Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed! If it's delayed, we still may be able to catch a later flight!:pray:

sodascouts
02-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Here's hoping all goes well!

Peekaboo
02-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Good Luck with that, Stars. Hope that snow storm waits so you can make your flight.

The snow is finally starting to melt here in OK. The sun poked out of the clouds for like 5 minutes yesterday but it was still nice to see it even though it didn't last long. I'm sooo ready for the warm weather.

sodascouts
02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Apparently we have 8 inches coming this weekend. Guess I'll get Pizza Hut delivered tonight before it's too late. ;)

Stars
02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks, Soda and Peek. I found out yesterday that all flights out of Philadelphia are cancelled tomorrow! So it looks like our trip to see Wilco will not be happening.:sad:
At first I was quite disappointed, but now I'm kind of looking forward to the storm. I know we'll be pretty much stranded in the house for my birthday, but I will make the best of it! I can watch my Wilco and Eagles DVDs, and read books to my heart's delight!:partytime: I'll celebrate my birthday in style!:laugh:

TimothyBFan
02-05-2010, 10:16 AM
So sorry to hear that Stars! I know you were really looking forward to it. Try to have a happy birthday nevertheless.

sodascouts
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Great attitude, Stars! Looks like I'll be snowed in, too, but I'll be working on some more editing to pay for my trip to California. lol

02-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh well, Stars - when Mother Nature decides to do her thing, it's not much we can do about it except make the best of it like you're doing.

And speaking of Mother Nature, she is paying us another visit as well this weekend. We are expecting another 6 -8 inches of the white stuff on top of what we've got left over from last weekend's snow. Enough already of this payback, Miss Nature! :grin:

Molly
02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Stay safe and warm all of you expecting storms this weekend.

Brooke
02-05-2010, 04:52 PM
We are having the snow all day today. 34 F and 3-4 inches of slushy white stuff.

Peekaboo
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Aw Stars, that sucks that you're gonna miss out on your trip. I'm glad to see that you have a positive attitude about it and are going to make the best of your birthday.

To those of you expecting more snow this weekend, stay warm and try not to go too crazy being all cooped up indoors.

We finally got to see the sun today. That was a real joy. I'm so glad to see the snow melting away. I'm sick of the winter weather already.

Glennsallnighter
02-05-2010, 09:11 PM
To all of you experiencing the bad weather look after yourselves and others. I hope you all stay safe.

Carla, I'm sorry you are missing your Birthday gig. I hope you have a greay day.

Its kinda springy here now which is good. I too have had enough of winter.

TimothyBFan
02-08-2010, 10:19 AM
This is what I get for making fun of the fact that we were spared this weekend while everyone else was getting hammered. Winter Storm Watch starts tonight with 6-9 inches of system snow expected and then tomorrow night, the dreaded lake effect starts with up to another 8-12 inches. YIKES! If it does snow and there's no school ---PLEASE let it be enough for all my daycare kids to be snowed in in their OWN homes and not mine! :lol:

Stars
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
TBF, we are also expecting more snow! We already have nearly two feet, and now we are expecting 6-12 more inches on Tuesday night into Wed. I think it's good I didn't bother digging out my car, just hubby's. Mine will have to stay buried for the duration!:lol:
TBF, I do hope your day care kids end up being snowed in in their own homes instead of yours!:-)

Glennsallnighter
02-08-2010, 06:32 PM
We've been watching pics of your cold spell on our news over the weekend. Please all of you take care...... Its been bitterly cold here today. However its supposed to get cold and bright rather than snowy.

TimothyBFan
02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Here we go again-Coming down very heavy and only suppose to get heavier as the day, tonight and tomorrow go on. Already have closed school for the day! :brickwall:

I WANT SPRINGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooke
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
We only got 5-6 inches yesterday and overnight, but it's bitter cold today. 0 F this morning and later it's supposed to blow and drift the snow. :yuck:

tbs fanatic
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
We were under a winter storm warning a couple days ago but it skipped under us :headbang:. However, it is very cold and we now keep getting light snow showers every few hours :scowl:. Spring, where are you? :???:

Koala
02-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Already have closed school for the day! :brickwall:
Here the schools are still open, if they were closed I would have at least a day off! This would be the only good thing at the snow!

I also! Today, it has already snowed again!http://smilies-smilies.de/smilies/urlaub_smilies/86.gif

Stars
02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
It started snowing around 8pm, and now they are saying we may get up to 18 inches, on top of the 20 or so inches that we already have!!! I have to say, I never remember a winter quite like this one-it will be one I'll never forget!:)

TimothyBFan
02-10-2010, 09:38 AM
What a contrast.....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/010-1-1.jpg

Flippin' tired of this....
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/P1010003-1.jpg

Schools out again today and we are getting hammered STILL--dreaded Lake Effect snow now!

MikeA
02-10-2010, 11:17 AM
It HAS been a rough Winter. In Wichita, our "norm" for this time in February is 45*. It's 13* outside now.

We haven't had "as much" snow as many or most of you have had, but it's more than we are used to having.

Yes, put me down as "Ready For Spring!" This crap sucks!

02-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Okay - we're getting hammered again with another snow storm as well, although we're not supposed to get as much accumulation this time as we did with the previous storms. I guess you can officially put me with the others who say ...

EagleLady
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Weather reports say We may get a little accumulation of Snow Friday. Have to wait and see

EagleLady
02-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Under a Winter Storm Warning, Expecting a mix of Snow and rain tomorrow.

Molly
02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
dreamer, I feel so bad for you! We got another foot of snow this week -but we're used to it. I just fired up the Simplicity and went to work cleanng the driveway. No big deal. Do you even own a snow shovel? Have you ever even seen a snow shovel?

Everyone else who is getting hammered again this week -stay safe and warm.

Brooke
02-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Under a Winter Storm Warning, Expecting a mix of Snow and rain tomorrow.

EL, where do you live? I thought Florida? Yikes!

EagleLady
02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I am in Florida, and They are talking a couple inches of Snow, rain mixed with Snow and possible sleet :fear:

ticky
02-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I think Spring is here! the daffodils are blooming and the sun is out. Im planting some bluebell bulbs and getting ready to plant peas and cabbage. *G* I really didnt want to RUB IT IN hehehe but I rarely get to BRAG about the weather. Sunshine, The boys headed this way, .. if stuff happens in threes, Im buying a lottery ticket!!

TimothyBFan
02-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Ohhhh Ticky.....:steviesmack:

Brooke
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Ticky, I'm with Willie.....:steviesmack: (Not really. I'm glad someone is having decent weather!)

We're having light snow, 25 F, this morning. Just enough to make the roads slick for the morning commute! :rolleyes:

02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm glad for anyone who is having good weather too. Actually, conditions are improved here - it's a nice sunny day in the 40's. However, we still have a long way before all this snow melts.

And Molly, thanks for thinking about me and NO I do not own a snow shovel, but I do understand the concept. :wink: :grin: It is funny that you mentioned this though because there was a story on one of our local news shows the other night where they were talking with area Home Depot and Lowe's stores about the incredible number of snow shovels they have sold this winter.

EagleLady
02-12-2010, 03:49 PM
It's Snowing here

Tessa
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
We had 25 cm new snow last week. I love snow but it could stop snowing now!!

Stars
02-13-2010, 09:45 PM
We are supposed to get 4-8 more inches of snow on Monday into Tuesday! Will this ever end? I love snow too, but enough is enough!:stop:

Koala
02-14-2010, 07:56 AM
It's snowing once again but luckily not as much as in the past few days!

Koala
02-18-2010, 06:17 AM
It is still cold and the sidewalks are heavily coated with ice :scowl:, I slipped on an icy patch and I have twisted my right knee, now I'm on sick leave because I can't walk properly!:sad:

Prettymaid
02-18-2010, 10:20 AM
It is still cold and the sidewalks are heavily coated with ice :scowl:, I slipped on an icy patch and I have twisted my right knee, now I'm on sick leave because I can't walk properly!:sad:

Oh no Koala, that's terrible! I hope you heal soon!

TimothyBFan
02-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Hope you are feeling better Koala!! OUCH!!

Koala
02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks PM & TBF!

The weather is better, it has not frozen the first time since months, I hope it stays that way!!!!!:pray:

AzEaglesFan
02-20-2010, 02:17 AM
It was around 72 today and sunny. Suppose to rain tomorrow, maybe. The high country still has snow and the skiers are heading that way. Mean while all the bikers are out in force and the campers are all headed for the lakes. Love it here, a little for everyone.

Prettymaid
02-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Sounds nice AZ. Welcome back - you've been missed!

AzEaglesFan
02-22-2010, 01:32 AM
What as difference a day makes. Rained all day Sat and Sun. Temp didn't get over 50 degrees. My Hi Speed has only been working a few minutes at a time for the last 3 weeks. Finally got it fixed. Sure missed being here.

sodascouts
02-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Glad to hear it's fixed AEF and welcome back from me, too!

Wildthyme
02-24-2010, 03:50 AM
Its blowing and raining hard here in Sunnyvale. So much for "California" weather. This bodes badly for my trip home tomorrow. Ugh I really dread dealing with snow in the mountains on the way home! :fear:

Troubadour
02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Take care, Cami!

It's still grey and drizzly here, but it's getting warmer, slowly...

Stars
02-26-2010, 09:18 AM
We got more snow last night, but luckily not as much as the past two storms. What was worse were the winds-kept me awake all night.:scowl:

Koala
03-06-2010, 02:57 AM
The last days were nice, cold but sunny,the snow and ice from the last few months was gone, this was great! But last night it has been snowing again! :-x
I WANT SPRINGTIME !!!!!

Molly
03-06-2010, 09:39 AM
We're expecting temperature in the high 40's this weekend! That means I'll be outside without a coat on...for us it's a heat wave!

Wildthyme
03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Its in the high 50's here today and sunny. I think I am about to give up on the housework I had planned and go for a nice long walk in the sunshine!

Brooke
03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I think spring is on the way! 65 here yesterday with clouds and rain. The little frogs were peeping and the birds were in full song yesterday evening!

:yay: http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/krakrani.gif http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/bird1.gif

Stars
03-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I think Spring is nearly here too! I've been seeing plenty of robins on my walks lately, and that's a sure sign that Spring is on the way!:thumbsup::)

Koala
03-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Here is still nothing to be felt from spring, it's cold and it rains and no birds chirping or anything like that!:-(

TimothyBFan
03-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Boy did we get some storms last night!!! Still very warm this morning but I guess the bottoms about to drop out again with temps going back down into the low 40's for highs. BUMMER!!! The storms were so violent last night, we had both dogs in bed with us (Rufus wasn't scared of them last year) and with them both shaking, Larry said it was like having a vibrating bed. :hilarious:

Troubadour
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
It's grey, overcast and chilly here. Good for a guilt-free day indoors!

Molly
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Day number 4 of thick fog. We still have a lot of snowcover, but the air is warm. Add in rain showers...viola!!! A fog blanket!

Koala
03-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Spring is here, finally! :partytime:
It was sunny and we had 63 yesterday! Today it should become a little bit warmer, however, it is also should raining!

Prettymaid
03-19-2010, 07:26 AM
It's been balmy here the last couple of days but I hear the weekend is going to be cold again. :yuck:

MikeA
03-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Argggg! 60* yesterday with winds but I played golf anyway.

Tonight (Wichita, Ks area)

A Winter Storm Watch is in effect for Butler Co Friday evening thru Sunday morning. 6 to 8 inches of snow expected

Prettymaid
03-19-2010, 01:25 PM
70+ here today, clear and sunny, no winds. Teen next door mowed the back yard for me yesterday, today we will weed-eat and spray weed killer so we don't have to weed eat anymore.

P47, sounds like you need to adopt that teen next door! :thumbsup:

Troubadour
03-19-2010, 02:51 PM
It's been drizzly today, but it's definitely getting warmer.

Brooke
03-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Yikes, 64 yesterday and beautiful outside and this morning we get up to a light blanket of snow and it's 32 and snowing!

Spring in Missouri! :rolleyes:

03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Ouch Brooke ... so sorry that you all are experiencing such a sucky way for spring to arrive. I guess we are very lucky here in Virginia - our first day of spring is a perfect, beautiful, clear, sunny day in the mid-70's. I am SOOOO ready for this. I'm getting ready to grab a little lunch and go outside to soak it all in for the afternoon!

MikeA
03-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Shall we commiserate, Brooke? We've got snow in Wichita too. I'm sure Jess is getting a Spring Blanket of the white variety too. Nasty outside!

Prettymaid
03-20-2010, 02:20 PM
No snow here in Central IL. Right now it's 53 and mostly sunny with rain forcast for tomorrow.

Stars
03-22-2010, 09:51 PM
It's pouring rain-supposed to rain all night with possible flooding-hope the pump in the basement holds up!:pray:

ticky
03-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Awe you guys.. Ya know... I hate to tell ya, but we just got back from the cabin and... I have a tan. It was about 80 degrees up there on Saturday and gorgeous. (now if I were evil spirited and cruel I wouldnt tell you how it rained like crazy all day Sunday and half the day Monday, or how poor Cami was sick as a dog all day Saturday OR the fact that it was GORGEOUS again... when we left...)

Wildthyme
03-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Needless to say I didn't get a tan... :yuck:

Brooke
03-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Awwww, bummer Cami.

And that 80 degrees sounds wonderful!

It was 60 here yesterday with the sun shining! Which dried up our mud-wallow of a road enough that we actually got to take a walk down it after supper! I don't even recognize my car anymore. It looks like a mudball. Ah, the joy of living in the country! :lol:

Peekaboo
03-24-2010, 02:03 AM
I'm so jealous, Rhonda. That weather sounds so lovely. I'm hoping we get that nice warm weather here in OK real soon. We're not quite there yet but it's coming soon, I know it....*sigh* I hope it's coming soon.

We've got snow in Wichita too. I'm sure Jess is getting a Spring Blanket of the white variety too. Nasty outside!

I'm a few days late on this. We most definitely did get some more of that STUPID white stuff. The weather in Oklahoma is so freaking crazy. On friday it was actually fairly nice outside with the temp in the 70's then by sundown it was pouring down rain with the temp in the 20's. Saturday it was a like a blizzard outside. Where I live we only got about 2-3 inches but my parents got nearly 5 inches and my cousin in northern OK got about 8inches. The very next day it was all melted and the temp was in the 60s. CRAZY!! We started the first day of Spring with a snow storm.

I almost forgot...the day it snowed the roads were all icey and I nearly rear-ended someone on my way to work. I'll admit that I was driving too fast (i was running late for work...my own fault) and didn't realize how slick the roads were. The pickup truck in front of me put on the brakes and I did the same but was sliding forward instead of slowing down. My heart was racing so fast. I proceeded to pump my brakes and thankfully slowed down enough to regain control. Phew!!! That was a close call. My heart is racing right now just thinking about how close I came to ramming into that truck.

One of my friends posted this on his facebook page. Cracked me up!! :hilarious:

Ooooooklahoma where the wind, snow, sleet, hail, tornados, 70 then 25 degree weather, blizzards, earthquakes, drought, floods, dust storms, plauges of the apocolypse come sweeping down the plains........ in the same day!

Koala
03-24-2010, 02:31 AM
I'am jealous too! I also want 80 degrees! We have only 45! But at least the sun is shining!

Troubadour
03-27-2010, 06:40 PM
A bit drizzly, but it's definitely getting warmer. We had an amazing storm last night though - the lightning seemed a little too close for my liking!

Wildthyme
03-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Its in the mid-70's here today but the weather forecast is for colder, rainy weather for the next week and maybe even a little snow. Let the schizophrenic southern Oregon spring weather begin...

Brooke
03-28-2010, 06:59 PM
52 and a cold blustery wind today. But they are saying mid 70's for later in the week! :yay:

Brooke
03-31-2010, 04:24 PM
How's sunshine and 80 for ya?! :yay:

EagleLady
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Sunny and 70's here. Gorgeous spring day :thumbsup:

Troubadour
03-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Drizzly and chilly. Same old story!

Prettymaid
03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
It was a beautiful day today. Warm and sunny in the 70's.

TimothyBFan
04-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Got up to 83 yesterday with lots of sunshine! Suppose to be beautiful today and for most of the weekend. I do believe spring has sprung!

Troubadour
04-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, keep on rubbing it in, why dontcha! ;)

Brooke
04-01-2010, 12:10 PM
And I can nearly see my daffodils and tulips growing!

http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/natur014.gif

Koala
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM
It had rained all day today and it was cold but when we came after the funeral, from my granny, out the chapel the sun was shining and a small rainbow was to see!!!

Prettymaid
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah, keep on rubbing it in, why dontcha! ;)

Well, why don't you just come over and see for yourself? :wink:

Troubadour
04-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Three weeks and counting!

Troubadour
04-04-2010, 05:10 PM
After all of my complaining, the sun shone today! It was lovely.

tequila girl
04-04-2010, 05:17 PM
After all of my complaining, the sun shone today! It was lovely.

I don't know where abouts you are? the sun shone here in Liverpool too - but it was still freezing cold!

Troubadour
04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
TG, I'm in Hampshire! It was pretty warm here, although there was still a fair breeze. Nice that it was dry, though.

tequila girl
04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
TG, I'm in Hampshire!

Oooh, I stayed for the weekend in a rather nice pub in Hook once:nod:

eaglesvet
04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
We've had a great stretch of 4 or 5 days' of sunny and 70's weather...beautiful!!

EagleLady
04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I couldn't help but notice there are a few more Bumblebees than Honeybees out pollinating. They love the wisteria flowers

Troubadour
04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Another beautiful, sunny day.

Brooke
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Cold again here. 31 and frost everywhere. Last night I had to go out and cover up my rose bushes that I had just uncovered and pruned last Saturday! :dizzy:

The wonderful roller coaster of Missouri/midwest weather! :rolleyes:

Warming back up to 70 tomorrow. :yay:

ticky
04-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Okay, so dont everybody get too excited, I may be a little premature here, but so far today it HAS NOT RAINED!:partytime: If this trend continues, we MAY even has a SUMMER!!! I know, I know, but, contrary to popular belief, ONE DAY OF NO RAIN IN APRIL IN OREGON is not one of the signs of the apocalypse (but it is definitely a good reason for happy naked dancing!)

Brooke
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Uh oh, get me my blinders! :hilarious: