PDA

View Full Version : Saturday night/ Eagles live

YoungEaglesFan
12-07-2017, 10:19 PM
I personally really like Saturday Night but I know it was not a hit and it was a song not many knew. My question is why did the band bring it back near the very end and why did they put it on Eagles live? They left plenty of hits off but put SN on. Is it to get a partial lead vocal from Timothy on the album?

Freypower
12-07-2017, 11:00 PM
I personally really like Saturday Night but I know it was not a hit and it was a song not many knew. My question is why did the band bring it back near the very end and why did they put it on Eagles live? They left plenty of hits off but put SN on. Is it to get a partial lead vocal from Timothy on the album?

'Partial lead vocal'? He sings one line. He also DOES have a lead vocal on that album; I Can't Tell You Why.

I'm sorry but I cannot answer your question. However, they also brought it back for the HOTE tour.

YoungEaglesFan
12-07-2017, 11:12 PM
'Partial lead vocal'? He sings one line. He also DOES have a lead vocal on that album; I Can't Tell You Why.

I'm sorry but I cannot answer your question. However, they also brought it back for the HOTE tour.

I’ve seen Randy get credited with a shared lead vocal on the song, that’s why I mentioned it. I doubt someone would know but there has to be a reason behind it.

Freypower
12-07-2017, 11:26 PM
I’ve seen Randy get credited with a shared lead vocal on the song, that’s why I mentioned it. I doubt someone would know but there has to be a reason behind it.

Randy sings on the version of the song on the Desperado album. By the time of Eagles Live Randy was no longer in the band, so Tim sings the line 'she said tell me, oh tell me' and then they harmonise on 'was I alright'. He sings the exact same part that Randy sang on the album version.

Hope that helps. :headscratch:

EagleInKansas
12-07-2017, 11:39 PM
It was brought back for HOTE because it was the only song the four original Eagles wrote together. Completely appropriate for the show opener for that reason, in my opinion.

YoungEaglesFan
12-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Randy sings on the version of the song on the Desperado album. By the time of Eagles Live Randy was no longer in the band, so Tim sings the line 'she said tell me, oh tell me' and then they harmonise on 'was I alright'. He sings the exact same part that Randy sang on the album version.

Hope that helps. :headscratch:

Sorry I understand that part what I mean is that I heard that when it was originally sung it was consider a shared lead vocal. So I figured the band wanted Tim to have a bigger role in the album considering Randy has TITTL on the live record. I figured there was some reasoning behind it is all

Freypower
12-08-2017, 12:41 AM
Sorry I understand that part what I mean is that I heard that when it was originally sung it was consider a shared lead vocal. So I figured the band wanted Tim to have a bigger role in the album considering Randy has TITTL on the live record. I figured there was some reasoning behind it is all

I'm sorry, but singing one line of a song does not amount to a 'shared lead vocal'. I don't know who gave you that impression, and as I said, Tim has I Can't Tell You Why on Eagles Live.

YoungEaglesFan
12-08-2017, 02:03 AM
I'm sorry, but singing one line of a song does not amount to a 'shared lead vocal'. I don't know who gave you that impression, and as I said, Tim has I Can't Tell You Why on Eagles Live.

I got it from Wikipedia which is obviously not always right so that’s where the mistake would come from I guess

tac0mao6
12-08-2017, 06:58 AM
some sources credit Randy with “lead vocal in the bridge” on saturday night.
perhaps that could be considered shared lead vocal?

same with on the border (never mind your name)

Funk 50
12-08-2017, 07:44 AM

When I bought Eagles Live (my first Eagles album), I wasn't aware of their back catalog. Saturday Night was one of my favorite tracks on the album and I've never considered it a lesser Eagles track. I was surprised to find out that it wasn't on their best selling Greatest Hits album. I consider(ed) Seven Bridges Road as the weakest track, by a distance.

After releasing The Long Run the band were reluctant to do a live album but they were persuaded to by the suits.

They recorded some live dates, including an acoustic set of Saturday Night, After The Thrill Is Gone, Keep On Tryin' (Schmit) and Seven Bridges Road. It's a great version of Saturday Night with a different line up to the one that originally recorded it.

BillBailey1976
12-08-2017, 09:41 AM
When I bought Eagles Live (my first Eagles album), I wasn't aware of their back catalog. Saturday Night was one of my favorite tracks on the album and I've never considered it a lesser Eagles track. I was surprised to find out that it wasn't on their best selling Greatest Hits album. I consider(ed) Seven Bridges Road as the weakest track, by a distance.

After releasing The Long Run the band were reluctant to do a live album but they were persuaded to by the suits.

They recorded some live dates, including an acoustic set of Saturday Night, After The Thrill Is Gone, Keep On Tryin' (Schmit) and Seven Bridges Road. It's a great version of Saturday Night with a different line up to the one that originally recorded it.

I'd like to see a full live album of the stuff they recorded in 1980 for Eagles Live. The Long Beach Concert would be a great set list for a live double album.

YoungEaglesFan
12-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Don’t get me wrong I love the song but it’s not well known and it’s not popular on the forum. I’m just surprised why they put it on the album. I prefer Randy on it over Tim but that’s just me

chaim
12-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Don’t get me wrong I love the song but it’s not well known and it’s not popular on the forum. I’m just surprised why they put it on the album. I prefer Randy on it over Tim but that’s just me

It's not just you.

groupie2686
12-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Is there a video or recording of Tim singing on Saturday Night? I've never heard this. It's a great song, and underrated.

UndertheWire
12-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Is there a video or recording of Tim singing on Saturday Night? I've never heard this. It's a great song, and underrated.
Conveniently, it's included in the samples you can listen to on Amazon. The "Desperado (Remastered)" has Randy and the "Eagles Live" has Timothy.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=Saturday+night+eagles

thelastresort
12-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Revived in 1980 for the acoustic set they did prior to kicking off the main gig at the Long Beach concerts. Revived in 2013 for a few reasons I would guess: slow and acoustic; from early in their career; the only song they ever wrote with every member of the band; and it requires minimal participation, allowing just Don and Glenn to perform it and build up the team from there.

It is one of my all-time favourite Eagles songs, I love every nanosecond of it, so I am pleased it has tread water for so long. It has a real CSN&Y, SoCal feel to it, and the simple guitar and layered harmonies make it a fine example of easy listening, country pop; which is why I guess it made it onto Eagles Live amongst all the other hard rock and HC-era work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FgtqYbhWU

I looooove the mandolin in this version!

YoungEaglesFan
12-08-2017, 04:13 PM
I'd like to see a full live album of the stuff they recorded in 1980 for Eagles Live. The Long Beach Concert would be a great set list for a live double album.

We have the Long Beach concert bootleg on here. It’s pretty good,I like how they played songs they didn’t do before

YoungEaglesFan
12-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Revived in 1980 for the acoustic set they did prior to kicking off the main gig at the Long Beach concerts. Revived in 2013 for a few reasons I would guess: slow and acoustic; from early in their career; the only song they ever wrote with every member of the band; and it requires minimal participation, allowing just Don and Glenn to perform it and build up the team from there.

It is one of my all-time favourite Eagles songs, I love every nanosecond of it, so I am pleased it has tread water for so long. It has a real CSN&Y, SoCal feel to it, and the simple guitar and layered harmonies make it a fine example of easy listening, country pop; which is why I guess it made it onto Eagles Live amongst all the other hard rock and HC-era work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FgtqYbhWU

I looooove the mandolin in this version!

I know they played with it just Don and Glenn but how does that work with just them two? Did some background musicians play like the mandolin? Did they just skip the other parts?

UndertheWire
12-08-2017, 04:43 PM
The mandolin was played off-stage.

thelastresort
12-08-2017, 04:47 PM
I know they played with it just Don and Glenn but how does that work with just them two? Did some background musicians play like the mandolin? Did they just skip the other parts?

Steuart Smith played mandolin and Michael Thompson the accordion off-stage.

Freypower
12-08-2017, 05:25 PM
some sources credit Randy with “lead vocal in the bridge” on saturday night.
perhaps that could be considered shared lead vocal?

same with on the border (never mind your name)

No. Singing one line does not amount to a 'shared lead vocal' any more than it does in On The Border. A shared lead vocal is a song like King Of Hollywood or What Do I Do With My Heart.

I'm afraid the song is one of my least favourites & when I finally got to see it in 2015 I remained underwhelmed by it. It's a shame to say that now, I suppose, but it's the truth.

chaim
12-08-2017, 05:31 PM
I like Saturday Night, but the "Someone show me how to tell..." bit and the instrumental that follows are a disappointment. Off-topic, but I was replying to Freypower's comment above.

groupie2686
12-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Steuart Smith played mandolin and Michael Thompson the accordion off-stage.

That's a shame. Why didn't Bernie play mandolin during HOTE? (Or did he? I'm sorry, I didn't see them). There is some video of them doing Saturday Night live with just the 4 of them in 1973.

chaim
12-08-2017, 05:35 PM
That's a shame. Why didn't Bernie play mandolin during HOTE? (Or did he? I'm sorry, I didn't see them). There is some video of them doing Saturday Night live with just the 4 of them in 1973.

Why indeed, if he didn't. :headscratch:

Freypower
12-08-2017, 05:35 PM

He played banjo, I think. I don't remember him playing mandolin.

thelastresort
12-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Bernie did play mandolin back in the day, however for HOTE it was Steuart (I believe he played bits and pieces on the LROOE tour on mandolin if anyone can confirm); one report on here said at the venue they saw it at, you could see them playing off-stage.

Not having Bernie present for Saturday Night aided the sequence of that opening portion for the History tour (though nothing would have stopped him playig off-stage, granted). Further, given how his mandolin and steel pedal work were omitted from the History tour (for example, he played acoustic guitar on Best of My Love), as well as by Henley in his little intro speech, I do not know if Bernie even plays mandolin or certain other instruments any more.

chaim
12-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Bernie did play mandolin back in the day, however for HOTE it was Steuart (I believe he played bits and pieces on the LROOE tour on mandolin if anyone can confirm); one report on here said at the venue they saw it at, you could see them playing off-stage.

Not having Bernie present for Saturday Night aided the sequence of that opening portion for the History tour (though nothing would have stopped him playig off-stage, granted). Further, given how his mandolin and steel pedal work were omitted from the History tour (for example, he played acoustic guitar on Best of My Love), as well as by Henley in his little intro speech, I do not know if Bernie even plays mandolin or certain other instruments any more.

I don't see why he couldn't play them for an Eagles show. He sure still played a B-bender like a master.

Funk 50
12-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Don’t get me wrong I love the song but it’s not well known and it’s not popular on the forum.

A comment such as this is a very recent phenomena that just didn't exist before the internet and message boards, certainly not in 1980. There was no real separation of hits and obscurities, until artists started re-releasing their back catalogs on CD in the 90s.

I remember seeing a Joe Walsh live set list for the first time in the early 80s and being very surprised to see James Gang tracks, Funk #49 and The Bomber listed. He's still playing them nearly 40 years later. They're obviously a lot more popular than I thought they were.

Back in 1989,Paul McCartney caused a stir by playing many The Beatles 60s hits live for the first time ever. The conert ended with the previously unheralded Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley. I believe that McCartney has closed all his concerts with it since.

You've made me realize YoungEaglesFan, that in 1981, when Eagles Live was released, the entire Eagles catalog was younger than the Long Road Out Of Eden tracks are now!

Freypower
12-09-2017, 05:23 PM
A comment such as this is a very recent phenomena that just didn't exist before the internet and message boards, certainly not in 1980. There was no real separation of hits and obscurities, until artists started re-releasing their back catalogs on CD in the 90s.

I remember seeing a Joe Walsh live set list for the first time in the early 80s and being very surprised to see James Gang tracks, Funk #49 and The Bomber listed. He's still playing them nearly 40 years later. They're obviously a lot more popular than I thought they were.

Back in 1989,Paul McCartney caused a stir by playing many The Beatles 60s hits live for the first time ever. The conert ended with the previously unheralded Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley. I believe that McCartney has closed all his concerts with it since.

You've made me realize YoungEaglesFan, that in 1981, when Eagles Live was released, the entire Eagles catalog was younger than the Long Road Out Of Eden tracks are now!

Without going off topic, I find it hard to believe that the closing medley of Abbey Road was 'unheralded' but I am certainly looking forward to hearing it tomorrow night. It will be cathartic.

Delilah
12-09-2017, 06:05 PM

What makes you say this?

The live version from the ‘73 BBC concert is excellent.

YoungEaglesFan
12-14-2017, 10:20 PM
What makes you say this?

The live version from the ‘73 BBC concert is excellent.

Well from desperado survivors it didn’t last long and I’ve heard that it’s too “waltzy” for their tastes. I don’t agree but I love the song