PDA

View Full Version : Co lead vocals

YoungEaglesFan
01-14-2018, 06:55 PM
I think a lot of people on here wished the band had more songs where they had different guys singing lead like After the thrill is gone. They also had songs that were a bit different where they had two guys sing lead at the same time like Visions, Midnightflyer, Good Day In hell etc, KOH. Do you guys like when the band had multiple singers for the entire song? I personally don’t, I would rather them take turns for verses. I don’t mind choruses being shared and obviously harmonies in the back. But I never really cared for shared lead vocals. How do you feel about them?

WalshFan88
01-14-2018, 07:05 PM
I definitely do. I really love ATTIG. I also like How Long from LROOE where they trade off and of course GDIH. Midnight Flyer doesn't do much for me as a rock guy but definitely I like the idea.

Freypower
01-14-2018, 07:07 PM
I think a lot of people on here wished the band had more songs where they had different guys singing lead like After the thrill is gone. They also had songs that were a bit different where they had two guys sing lead at the same time like Visions, Midnightflyer, Good Day In hell etc, KOH. Do you guys like when the band had multiple singers for the entire song? I personally don’t, I would rather them take turns for verses. I don’t mind choruses being shared and obviously harmonies in the back. But I never really cared for shared lead vocals. How do you feel about them?

For a start Visions & Midnight Flyer aren't shared lead vocals. They feature a lead singer with harmony parts. The only songs where there are multiple (more that two) singers for the entire song are Seven Bridges Road & No More Walks In The Wood.

Good Day In Hell & KOH are both shared lead vocals as is What Do I Do With My Heart. So is Doolin-Dalton, although Glenn only sings one verse of that. ETA: oh yes, and How Long. And Teenage Jail, I suppose, the most unnecessary shared lead of their entire catalogue. Glenn should have sung all of it.

To be honest I'm not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking whether I like the duets, well, yes, because at least Glenn features in them. But ATTIG bores me to tears. I know that's an unpopular opinion but that is how I feel about it.

All I would have liked was for Glenn to sing more songs. That was all. I did get my wish to some extent with LROOE & I have to be grateful for that.

thelastresort
01-14-2018, 07:27 PM
I like them and think they got the balance by and large correct. There are two takes on this; firstly what I would label joint leads, where they sing exactly in harmony for the vast part of the track (KOH, GDIH etc), and co-leads, where they trade verses (Doolin-Dalton, How Long).

King of Hollywood is taken to another level by the utilisation of the joint lead, it adds depth to the delivery of the pretty grim subject matter, and the sole use of a really gruff Henley for the most twisted line in the song is superbly composed (in a similar way to the harmony stopping for Henley to sing the killer 'only three ride back' line in D-D/DR).

I don't know what it is about How Long or Doolin-Dalton that makes the split on leads work so well, I guess it just adds more texture to the songs. Certainly, How Long wouldn't have the same drive with just one lead singer; and I think perhaps bringing Glenn in on Doolin-Dalton makes it feel like the start of a new chapter to the song. The four-way split on On the Border adds real depth to that song.

YoungEaglesFan
01-14-2018, 07:32 PM
For a start Visions & Midnight Flyer aren't shared lead vocals. They feature a lead singer with harmony parts. The only songs where there are multiple (more that two) singers for the entire song are Seven Bridges Road & No More Walks In The Wood.

Good Day In Hell & KOH are both shared lead vocals as is What Do I Do With My Heart. So is Doolin-Dalton, although Glenn only sings one verse of that. ETA: oh yes, and How Long. And Teenage Jail, I suppose, the most unnecessary shared lead of their entire catalogue. Glenn should have sung all of it.

To be honest I'm not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking whether I like the duets, well, yes, because at least Glenn features in them. But ATTIG bores me to tears. I know that's an unpopular opinion but that is how I feel about it.

All I would have liked was for Glenn to sing more songs. That was all. I did get my wish to some extent with LROOE & I have to be grateful for that.

I am sorry for wording it poorly. I meant to ask songs where two of them sing together for the entirety of the song. For visions both dons sing for the entire song, king of Hollywood would be another example of this. I’m not sure what you call that as opposed to a song like How long where Glenn sings a verse then don then Glenn again.

YoungEaglesFan
01-14-2018, 07:35 PM
To rephrase I’m asking if you prefer split lead vocals (ATTIG, HL) or songs where they share the lead vocals (KOH, GDIH)

Freypower
01-14-2018, 07:41 PM
OK, well as there are only a couple of each I suppose my preference is for the split songs when they can both be heard. Having said that KOH & GDIH are two of my absolute favourite songs.

FannyBeTender
01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Depends on the song. :shrug:

I like "Do Something" with one of the few split leads from TBS and Don. Thought their voices fit together very well.

But sometimes I like shared lead vocals (like on KOH).

buffyfan145
01-14-2018, 09:36 PM
It depends on the song too but I like both types. I do like being able to hear more than one person switching off on the verses and that's not just Eagles songs but songs other artists have done too either in a band or as a duet.

Scarlet Sun
01-14-2018, 10:35 PM
Ol' '55 is another shared lead vocal

chaim
01-14-2018, 10:45 PM
I've always thought that Visions features two Felders on lead vocals. If Henley is harmonizing, I guess Felder's voice is mixed louder, so I've only heard him. Gotta pay attention to that the next time I hear the song.

travlnman2
01-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Doolin Dalton hands down.:grooving:

NightMistBlue
01-15-2018, 12:11 PM
I love it when Glenn 'n Don H sang together - so very special. "After the Thrill is Gone": that's how it's done, peeps.

chaim
01-15-2018, 12:25 PM
It's a fantastic moment in Doolin-Dalton when the chorus starts and Glenn's voice sort of takes over. That's the voice that made me fall in love with the Eagles. Anyway, it's great how it follows Don's lead. Probably wouldn't be as effective if Glenn had sung the verse as well.

groupie2686
01-15-2018, 02:22 PM
To rephrase I’m asking if you prefer split lead vocals (ATTIG, HL) or songs where they share the lead vocals (KOH, GDIH)

I guess to answer your question, I prefer it when they split lead vocals - I love Ol' 55, After the Thrill is Gone, and Doolin Dalton - so you can hear both voices.

I didn't know they both sang Good Day in Hell - I can only hear Glenn.

Out of Control
01-15-2018, 03:39 PM
So is Visions harmonizing??? Maybe it's just me but I always thought it was Felder + either Don Henley or Bernie in unison. It sounds too close to be a harmony.

New Kid In Town
01-15-2018, 04:11 PM
I guess to answer your question, I prefer it when they split lead vocals - I love Ol' 55, After the Thrill is Gone, and Doolin Dalton - so you can hear both voices.
I didn't know they both sang Good Day in Hell - I can only hear Glenn.

I also love the split lead vocals. I love Ol'55, DD, and ATTIG.
I also love How Long, although I do prefer the early 70's rocker version.

Freypower
01-15-2018, 04:44 PM
So is Visions harmonizing??? Maybe it's just me but I always thought it was Felder + either Don Henley or Bernie in unison. It sounds too close to be a harmony.

I have never thought of Visions as other than a Felder lead vocal, so it bemuses me to hear that (presumably) Henley, because I don't think it's Bernie, is singing in unison. It isn't credited as a co lead & I just don't see it that way. It's a close harmony to try & mask the inadequacy of Felder's lead.

It's interesting & sad that I'm the only person who has mentioned WDIDWMH. I love what Glenn & Don do in that song. I also love what Glenn does in the harmonies in the verses of the title track of LROOE, but I would hesitate to call that a co lead.

OntheBorder74
01-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Ah a topic close to my heart. I always wanted more of the shared leads, particularly because I could never really distinguish the dual harmonies. I wish on the debut album, on songs like tryin,Nightingale, they had experimented more in that way or even the Long Run. HC worked cause of Henley's singular and soulful approach but definitely more Glenn or Bernie co leads wouldve pleased me.I always thought the longhaired members (Randy and Glenn) had a clear voices that contrasted well with the Afro members (Don H and Bernie) who had rougher voices; so maybe a Randy and Bernie co lead woudve been fantastic or Glenn taking the lead on Nightingale with Don singing just the bridge of 'Here goes my baby shining like a Nightingale..' etc. What do you all think about these ideas?

YoungEaglesFan
01-15-2018, 05:08 PM
I have never thought of Visions as other than a Felder lead vocal, so it bemuses me to hear that (presumably) Henley, because I don't think it's Bernie, is singing in unison. It isn't credited as a co lead & I just don't see it that way. It's a close harmony to try & mask the inadequacy of Felder's lead.

It's interesting & sad that I'm the only person who has mentioned WDIDWMH. I love what Glenn & Don do in that song. I also love what Glenn does in the harmonies in the verses of the title track of LROOE, but I would hesitate to call that a co lead.

I love the bridge part and the don verse where Glenn does those excellent counter parts with Don. I love how Glenn uses his solo style of singing there

YoungEaglesFan
01-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Ah a topic close to my heart. I always wanted more of the shared leads, particularly because I could never really distinguish the dual harmonies. I wish on the debut album, on songs like tryin,Nightingale, they had experimented more in that way or even the Long Run. HC worked cause of Henley's singular and soulful approach but definitely more Glenn or Bernie co leads wouldve pleased me.I always thought the longhaired members (Randy and Glenn) had a clear voices that contrasted well with the Afro members (Don H and Bernie) who had rougher voices; so maybe a Randy and Bernie co lead woudve been fantastic or Glenn taking the lead on Nightingale with Don singing just the bridge of 'Here goes my baby shining like a Nightingale..' etc. What do you all think about these ideas?

I’ve always viewed it that way. Glenn and Randy had clear smooth voices (though Randy had some bite on harmonies) that would contrast well with the more raspy voices of Bernie and Don. I think that made the harmonies as great as they were. The dynamics of that changed with Tim, who’s voice wasn’t as clear as Randy though joes is more clear than Bernie’s. I’d love some more shared vocals in the early days

groupie2686
01-15-2018, 05:13 PM

LOL, the longhaired members vs the Afro members...that would have been nice if they had shared lead vocal more, I could definitely see Glenn and Don sharing Nightingale.

Freypower
01-15-2018, 05:16 PM

Glenn would have done a good job with Nightingale, but they only had WW and they needed another Henley vocal for the album.

How times changed.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-01-2018, 01:42 PM
I've always thought that Visions features two Felders on lead vocals. If Henley is harmonizing, I guess Felder's voice is mixed louder, so I've only heard him. Gotta pay attention to that the next time I hear the song.

I agree with you here, Toni. No matter who is singing, I definitely don't consider Visions as a co-lead vocal.

And, for the record, I love all of the Eagle songs when they used co-lead vocals. And FP - I'll second your comments about WDIDWMH. As a matter of fact, one of the things I enjoy most about the LROOE album is all of the co-leads.

shunlvswx
02-01-2018, 02:21 PM

WDIDWMH is my favorite Eagle song sung by Glenn and also one of my top favorites. I loved the call and response between Glenn and the others and then Don sings his lines as he does a call and response with Glenn as the song ends. The harmonies are great on this song.

I also love all the co-lead songs on the LROOE album.

FreyFollower
02-01-2018, 04:03 PM
WDIDWMH is my favorite Eagle song sung by Glenn and also one of my top favorites. I loved the call and response between Glenn and the others and and then Don sings his lines as he does a call and response with Glenn as the song ends. The harmonies are great in this song.

I also love all the co-lead songs on the LROOE album.

I agree, Shun! I just love WDIDWMH! Like you, I love the weaving of Don and Glenn's voices---they're perfection. It's such a powerful performance and would have been great live. The emotion in Glenn's voice just kills me!

maryc2130
02-03-2018, 11:29 PM
I love WDIDWMH but I don't consider it a co-lead. Glenn sings most of the song and Don sings one small part. It adds a lot to the song, IMHO, but I would consider Glenn the lead singer. Sort of similar to Do Something (not in the song itself, but in the way Don sings a part of it. Interesting how it's done twice on that album.)

I really love co-leads and I wish they had done more!

Freypower
02-04-2018, 01:49 AM
I love WDIDWMH but I don't consider it a co-lead. Glenn sings most of the song and Don sings one small part. It adds a lot to the song, IMHO, but I would consider Glenn the lead singer. Sort of similar to Do Something (not in the song itself, but in the way Don sings a part of it. Interesting how it's done twice on that album.)

I really love co-leads and I wish they had done more!

Don sings the last verse & then Glenn joins him. They sing the rest of the song together. And it's call & response - you can't get much more 'shared' than that! It's much more than Do Something where Don only sings four lines, even though you can hear his harmonies.

Don only sings one verse of ATTIG too. Wouldn't you call that a co lead?

02-04-2018, 02:12 PM
I have to agree that WDIDWMH should be considered a shared vocal.

But, there are a few other songs that I can't figure out why they are not considered co-lead vocals. To me, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency about what factors determine this. Is it the number of words or lines sung? Is it how prominent the vocals are? Where do you draw the line between what is a co-lead vs. a back-up vocal? I think strong arguments can be made for or against several Eagles songs, but, to me, the same criteria should apply. For example:

I think LROOE is as much of a shared vocal as something like King of Hollywood or Good Day in Hell. The only difference is that the vocals aren't shared throughout the entire song. And I also think Fast Company qualifies as a shared vocal for the same reason.

Another one that confuses me is why isn't Last Good Time in Town considered a co-lead when Teenage Jail is? I think LGTIT actually has more call and response lines.

I personally consider On the Border as shared vocals where each band member trades off a line. However, when Glenn shouts out "Gator" in Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, I wouldn't count that.

Food for thought ???

Freypower
02-04-2018, 05:54 PM
I have to agree that WDIDWMH should be considered a shared vocal.

But, there are a few other songs that I can't figure out why they are not considered co-lead vocals. To me, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency about what factors determine this. Is it the number of words or lines sung? Is it how prominent the vocals are? Where do you draw the line between what is a co-lead vs. a back-up vocal? I think strong arguments can be made for or against several Eagles songs, but, to me, the same criteria should apply. For example:

I think LROOE is as much of a shared vocal as something like King of Hollywood or Good Day in Hell. The only difference is that the vocals aren't shared throughout the entire song. And I also think Fast Company qualifies as a shared vocal for the same reason.

Another one that confuses me is why isn't Last Good Time in Town considered a co-lead when Teenage Jail is? I think LGTIT actually has more call and response lines.

I personally consider On the Border as shared vocals where each band member trades off a line. However, when Glenn shouts out "Gator" in Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, I wouldn't count that.

Food for thought ???

In my view Glenn's contribution in LGTIT isn't great enough to make it a co- lead. To me a co-lead should take a larger proportion of the song, which is why I don't really see the indiviidual lines in OTB as amounting to a co-lead. I don't know about Fast Company - I can see both sides. But I wouild love to claim LROOE itself. I really would.

Regarding 'Gator' in Greeks, someone on this board once claimed that Don's 'ah ah' in NKIT made that a co-lead. No it doesn't.

Out of Control
02-04-2018, 06:41 PM

I know it's not always a reliable source but I read on Wikipedia that all 5 were singing lead and I knew Glenn (other than "play on...") and Randy weren't singing lead.

Scarlet Sun
02-04-2018, 06:49 PM
How about Randy on "Already Gone?" I say yes

Freypower
02-04-2018, 09:06 PM

If you're referring to the 'just remember this' part that's a harmony. It's only for a few lines. A line has to be drawn somewhere or you may as well claim everyone is singing lead in every song. :stunned:

Scarlet Sun
02-04-2018, 09:17 PM
never mind

Freypower
02-04-2018, 09:18 PM
He does, during the outro, after the key change

I edited my previoius post. Which words does he sing by himself? I have never noticed it & surely it is not enough to count as a lead vocal.

Scarlet Sun
02-04-2018, 09:20 PM
I edited my previoius post. Which words does he sing by himself? I have never noticed it & surely it is not enough to count as a lead vocal.

I think that's him singing the lead, but now i'm not sure. It does sound like him though, especially the first two lines

sodascouts
02-04-2018, 09:38 PM
I always assumed it was Glenn singing lead there as well.

Scarlet Sun
02-04-2018, 09:41 PM
I always assumed it was Glenn singing lead there as well.

It could be be but it sounds a awful lot like Randy to me

Freypower
02-05-2018, 12:44 AM
I still don't know which lyrics we are discussing. If it's

Just remember this my girl
When you look up in the sky
You can see the stars but stiil not see the light

that is Glenn singing lead,as he does for the whole song.

Or do you mean

Well I know it wasn't you who held me down etc

That's Glenn too. :huh:

Scarlet Sun
02-05-2018, 12:50 AM
I still don't know which lyrics we are discussing. If it's

Just remember this my girl
When you look up in the sky
You can see the stars but stiil not see the light

that is Glenn singing lead,as he does for the whole song.

Or do you mean

Well I know it wasn't you who held me down etc

That's Glenn too. :huh:

I'm talking about the chorus, during the outro, right after the key change

Freypower
02-05-2018, 12:58 AM
I'm talking about the chorus, during the outro, right after the key change

The last chorus, starting with 'yes'? I'm sorry but to me that is Glenn & I fail to see why someone else would suddenly start singing lead so close to the end of the song.

Scarlet Sun
02-05-2018, 01:09 AM
The last chorus, starting with 'yes'? I'm sorry but to me that is Glenn & I fail to see why someone else would suddenly start singing lead so close to the end of the song.

Because the notes are higher and easier for Randy to reach without straining himself. Listened it to again, through headphones, and that first "yes i'm a-ll" sounds particularly like Randy to me

Freypower
02-05-2018, 01:41 AM
Because the notes are higher and easier for Randy to reach without straining himself. Listened it to again, through headphones, and that first "yes i'm a-ll" sounds particularly like Randy to me

Once again poor Glenn can't be given credit for something like this. 'It's a higher key! It must be Randy'! I would be interested to know if anyone else shares this view.

Scarlet Sun
02-05-2018, 01:58 AM
Once again poor Glenn can't be given credit for something like this. 'It's a higher key! It must be Randy'! I would be interested to know if anyone else shares this view.

It doesn't have anything to do with Glenn. I've been listening to this song for more than 30 years i've heard Randy there the whole time. In all of the live versions of the song listened, in which Glenn does sing the part, it sounds nothing like the record. Perhaps this might a case like the aahs in "A Day in the Life." Everybody thinks it's John, until it's pointed out that it's actually Paul.

chaim
02-05-2018, 03:58 AM
Even if Randy DOES sing the main melody in the last chorus I wouldn't say it's a co-lead when there are many people singing. To me it's just switching harmonies. Or is the word "swapping"? Anyway, interesting that someone hears Randy there. Gotta pay attention to that next time I hear the song.

groupie2686
02-05-2018, 02:26 PM

I'm certain this is Glenn.

To me, a co-lead is a song where the lead vocal is shared evenly - How Long and Doolin Dalton are the best examples of this to me. In my opinion, What Do I Do With My Heart is not a co-lead vocal - Henley only comes in at the end. The same with Do Something. As for Good Day in Hell, I didn't know Glenn and Henley sang this together, all I hear is Glenn. Wouldn't that just be harmony, though, and not a shared lead vocal? If you count any time you can hear more than one band member, you could consider almost all of their songs a "co-lead."

02-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Even if Randy DOES sing the main melody in the last chorus I wouldn't say it's a co-lead when there are many people singing. To me it's just switching harmonies. Or is the word "swapping"? Anyway, interesting that someone hears Randy there. Gotta pay attention to that next time I hear the song.

Totally agree that Randy is singing harmony in Already Gone as are probably all the members. I dont even believe that Randy's harmony is the main melody, but even if it were, I agree that doesn’t make it a co-lead. For example, in Take It To the Limit, Glenn’s harmony part is predominant, but it’s not a lead vocal because all or most of the band is harmonizing at that point. In any event, the credits for either song do not include a co-lead vocalist. Additionally, I don’t buy the argument that the high notes at the end of Already Gone were out of Glenn’s range. The ‘woo hoo hoo’ notes are probably the highest notes in the song, and Glenn seems to have had no problem hitting those.

Scarlet Sun
02-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Additionally, I don’t buy the argument that the high notes at the end of Already Gone were out of Glenn’s range. The ‘woo hoo hoo’ notes are probably the highest notes in the song, and Glenn seems to have had no problem hitting those.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Those "woo hoo hoo notes" are falsetto. Also, I never said they were out of his range, but they're at the very top of it. On the record, the "al-" in "already" has two notes, the first note being higher. In '74 and '75 he would sing them live, but by '76 if the recent release is any indication, he had given up singing the first note, and he didn't sing it again thereafter. But to me, the most important thing is Randy voice sticks out like a sore thumb (sorry for the negative analogy) on the "yes i'm al-."

02-05-2018, 03:47 PM
SS - I guess this is something we'll have to agree to disagree about. To me, no matter how you slice it or dice it, you won't convince me that this is a co-lead vocal, which is your original claim. I am going to side with the band on this one.

In my view Glenn's contribution in LGTIT isn't great enough to make it a co- lead. To me a co-lead should take a larger proportion of the song, which is why I don't really see the indiviidual lines in OTB as amounting to a co-lead. I don't know about Fast Company - I can see both sides. But I wouild love to claim LROOE itself. I really would.

Regarding 'Gator' in Greeks, someone on this board once claimed that Don's 'ah ah' in NKIT made that a co-lead. No it doesn't.

But, here is where the band's inconsistency starts to lose me. Again, Glenn has more lines in LGTIT than Don has in Teenage Jail, yet Teenage Jail is credited as co-lead vocals while LGTIT is not. I think you may legitimately be able to make a case either way, but I don’t get why one is a co-lead and the other isn’t. Another example from the LROOE album is that Don is given co-lead credits for his lines in WDIDWMH and Do Something, but Tim isn’t credited as a co-lead on Waiting in the Weeds; nor is Glenn credited for his vocals in LGTIT, Fast Company, or LROOE.

So yeah – I’m a bit baffled. :headscratch: I thought if someone sings several lines in a song alone, traditionally they should be considered a co-lead vocalist. And I also still don’t get why GDIH and KOH are credited as co-leads, yet LROOE and Fast Company are not. Did the definition or criteria for these change after the millennium?

Scarlet Sun
02-05-2018, 03:50 PM
SS - I guess this is something we'll have to agree to disagree about. To me, no matter how you slice it or dice it, you won't convince me that this is a co-lead vocal, which is your original claim. I am going to side with the band on this one.

Oh, I go by what they say. But if I was listing the credits, I would say something like Glenn (with Randy)

Freypower
02-05-2018, 05:01 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with Glenn. I've been listening to this song for more than 30 years i've heard Randy there the whole time. In all of the live versions of the song listened, in which Glenn does sing the part, it sounds nothing like the record. Perhaps this might a case like the aahs in "A Day in the Life." Everybody thinks it's John, until it's pointed out that it's actually Paul.

I've been listening to it for the same length of time & I've never heard anyone but Glenn in that part. The two voices are totally different. I'm sorry, but I'm leaving it there. And even if it is Randy, which I don't believe it is, that is not enough to justify a co-lead credit.

As for the aahs in A Day In The Life, that is news to me. I'm not getting sidetracked by that.

Freypower
02-05-2018, 05:10 PM

But, here is where the band's inconsistency starts to lose me. Again, Glenn has more lines in LGTIT than Don has in Teenage Jail, yet Teenage Jail is credited as co-lead vocals while LGTIT is not. I think you may legitimately be able to make a case either way, but I don’t get why one is a co-lead and the other isn’t. Another example from the LROOE album is that Don is given co-lead credits for his lines in WDIDWMH and Do Something, but Tim isn’t credited as a co-lead on Waiting in the Weeds; nor is Glenn credited for his vocals in LGTIT, Fast Company, or LROOE.

So yeah – I’m a bit baffled. :headscratch: I thought if someone sings several lines in a song alone, traditionally they should be considered a co-lead vocalist. And I also still don’t get why GDIH and KOH are credited as co-leads, yet LROOE and Fast Company are not. Did the definition or criteria for these change after the millennium?

In LGTIT the only lines Glenn has are the 'turn off the phone' bits. Six lines. In TJ, Don has a whole verse ('ÿou're lost...') as well as singing with Glenn in the last verse ('you're not like the others').

To me Glenn's harmony in Fast Company is just that - a harmony. And despite his superb work in LROOE that probably can only be considered a harmony as well.

I agree that WITW is an anomaly, but perhaps they thought there wasn't enough from Tim for him to be given credit.

Delilah
02-05-2018, 05:39 PM

I believe you’re right about this—I think it’s a double track of Felder on lead vocal.

To me Glenn's harmony in Fast Company is just that - a harmony. And despite his superb work in LROOE that probably can only be considered a harmony as well.

I agree that WITW is an anomaly, but perhaps they thought there wasn't enough from Tim for him to be given credit.

I agree. In all three songs there is a lead vocal and (probably) one backing vocal harmonizing. I also wonder if Steuart Smith is thrown in the backing vocal mix throughout this album. He sure was/is used on the live shows.

My favorite shared vocal is probably GDIH. My favorite co-lead is Doolin-Dalton, though I love ATTIG too. I think it’s great that they mixed it up and didn’t do same vocal arrangements over and over.

I didn’t hear the LROOE album until a couple of years ago so maybe I have a different take on this than others. But I thought it odd to be listening to Timothy singing “Do Something” and Glenn singing WDIDWMH, and out of nowhere comes Don H adding his vocals. Why? It as if the band thought these songs needed a vocal boost or something. Or was it b/c he has a writing credit on these songs? Yes, shared/co-lead vocals are great but Henley already has 7 leads on the album and one co-lead (How Long) plus the barbershop quartet thing with No More Walks in the Wood. That puts him on 11 out of 20 tracks (1 which is an instrumental). Meanwhile Timothy gets 2 songs, one with a Henley vocal.

Freypower
02-05-2018, 05:49 PM
I believe you’re right about this—I think it’s a double track of Felder on lead vocal.

I agree. In all three songs there is a lead vocal and (probably) one backing vocal harmonizing. I also wonder if Steuart Smith is thrown in the backing vocal mix throughout this album. He sure was/is used on the live shows.

My favorite shared vocal is probably GDIH. My favorite co-lead is Doolin-Dalton, though I love ATTIG too. I think it’s great that they mixed it up and didn’t do same vocal arrangements over and over.

I didn’t hear the LROOE album until a couple of years ago so maybe I have a different take on this than others. But I thought it odd to be listening to Timothy singing “Do Something” and Glenn singing WDIDWMH, and out of nowhere comes Don H adding his vocals. Why? It as if the band thought these songs needed a vocal boost or something. Or was it b/c he has a writing credit on these songs? Yes, shared/co-lead vocals are great but Henley already has 7 leads on the album and one co-lead (How Long) plus the barbershop quartet thing with No More Walks in the Wood. That puts him on 11 out of 20 tracks (1 which is an instrumental). Meanwhile Timothy gets 2 songs, one with a Henley vocal.

I guess for the same reason he was shoehorned into Teenage Jail. It appeared the band thought he had to be as prominent as possible. I think it works on WDIDWMH; I love the two of them singing together like that, sort of the way John & Paul used to, but in Do Something I agree - I really don't see the need for Don's part.

I should mention that Glenn sings on WITW - the low part. He's most audible towards the end of the song. I would doubt that Steuart did any harmonies, though. Surely at least on record that role was left to the band members, although the album credits are so sketchy it's possible, I guess.

Delilah
02-05-2018, 05:51 PM

I think a stronger case can be made for OOTN. Randy’s vocal on lines like

Someone to be kind to
In between the dark and the light
Ooh coming right behind you,
Swear I’m gonna find you
One of these nights etc.

is so prominent he sounds like he’s taking over the lead there.

Scarlet Sun
02-05-2018, 06:00 PM
I'm not getting sidetracked by that.

Yes, life is too short for that

East Texas Girl
02-05-2018, 06:00 PM
I think a stronger case can be made for OOTN. Randy’s vocal on lines like

Someone to be kind to
In between the dark and the light
Ooh coming right behind you,
Swear I’m gonna find you
One of these nights etc.

is so prominent he sounds like he’s taking over the lead there.

Totally agree with you, Delilah. I wondered why he wasn't listed a shared lead on this one until I read somewhere that when mixing OOTN that his mic was just turned up (for want of proper terminology) during these parts.

Delilah
02-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Totally agree with you, Delilah. I wondered why he wasn't listed a shared lead on this one until I read somewhere that when mixing OOTN that his mic was just turned up (for want of proper terminology) during these parts.

Oh, I didn’t know about the mic part. If it was intentional then he should have gotten some kind of credit, if he’s not listed as co-lead. Or even if it was a mistake; surely it could have been corrected but it seems the choice was made not to. :shrug:

Btw, nice avatar, ETG!

East Texas Girl
02-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Oh, I didn’t know about the mic part. If it was intentional then he should have gotten some kind of credit, if he’s not listed as co-lead. Or even if it was a mistake; surely it could have been corrected but it seems the choice was made not to. :shrug:

Btw, nice avatar, ETG!

Unless I am mistaken on the mic part, someone correct me if I am wrong; I do not recall where I read that. I like that they did it that way but then during live performances it sounds like something is missing.

Thanks, on the avatar, he's a cutie isn't he!

YoungEaglesFan
02-05-2018, 07:32 PM
I guess for the same reason he was shoehorned into Teenage Jail. It appeared the band thought he had to be as prominent as possible. I think it works on WDIDWMH; I love the two of them singing together like that, sort of the way John & Paul used to, but in Do Something I agree - I really don't see the need for Don's part.

I should mention that Glenn sings on WITW - the low part. He's most audible towards the end of the song. I would doubt that Steuart did any harmonies, though. Surely at least on record that role was left to the band members, although the album credits are so sketchy it's possible, I guess.

Is he singing all the parts Tim does as well? But just a lower part? I wish Glenn had a more prominent role in that song than he does

FannyBeTender
02-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Meanwhile Timothy gets 2 songs, one with a Henley vocal.

This puts me in mind of something I read on another thread a while back (in regards to "Do Something") in which someone posted a transcript of an interview with Don saying:

I thought about singing it for a while then I said "nah, you know, I want you to sing this Tim," and it's a nice country flavoured ballad. We had an outside musician come in and play the pedal-steel guitar on it.

That makes me think that originally it was supposed to be a Don lead, but it was changed at the last minute (possibly to give Timothy another lead?). I could be wrong about that though. :shrug:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512&page=6

Freypower
02-05-2018, 10:46 PM
Is he singing all the parts Tim does as well? But just a lower part? I wish Glenn had a more prominent role in that song than he does

Glenn sings during the song's choruses (I'm just waiting in the weeds etc).
He is most audible during the second last chorus (the phases of the moon part) and he can be heard clearly during the line 'slowly changing you'.

Those parts where Tim is interjecting is just him.

tac0mao6
02-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Thanks, on the avatar, he's a cutie isn't he!

That smile could buckle my knees at a long country mile :faint:

02-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Well – I appreciate those who responded to my last post, but, I am still perplexed about what constitutes a lead vocal vs. a backup vocal vs. harmony vocals in the world of the Eagles.

Is it how loud the volume is on the vocal? If so, how loud does it have to be? Is it how many lines are sung? If so, how many lines are required? Is it whether or not the vocalist has lines where no one else is singing? How many vocalist are required to constitute a harmony?

I realize that I am being pretty anal about this, so please, no one should feel compelled to respond to these rhetorical questions. I won’t continue to belabor this, but it's way too subjective for me. I truly have a hard time trying to grasp why Glenn’s vocals in LROOE would be considered backing harmony vocals, but his vocal in KOH is a shared lead vocal? Or why there is a co-lead singer on WDIDWMH, but not on LGTIT or WITW? Or why 4 lines of vocals qualify as a co-lead on ATTIG, but 6 lines in LGTIT do not. Oh well, it is what it is. :confused:

Brooke
02-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Right, dreamer! I know I'm lost! :lol:

YoungEaglesFan
02-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Well – I appreciate those who responded to my last post, but, I am still perplexed about what constitutes a lead vocal vs. a backup vocal vs. harmony vocals in the world of the Eagles.

Is it how loud the volume is on the vocal? If so, how loud does it have to be? Is it how many lines are sung? If so, how many lines are required? Is it whether or not the vocalist has lines where no one else is singing? How many vocalist are required to constitute a harmony?

I realize that I am being pretty anal about this, so please, no one should feel compelled to respond to these rhetorical questions. I won’t continue to belabor this, but it's way too subjective for me. I truly have a hard time trying to grasp why Glenn’s vocals in LROOE would be considered backing harmony vocals, but his vocal in KOH is a shared lead vocal? Or why there is a co-lead singer on WDIDWMH, but not on LGTIT or WITW? Or why 4 lines of vocals qualify as a co-lead on ATTIG, but 6 lines in LGTIT do not. Oh well, it is what it is. :confused:

I know this might not be satisfactory but I think it just depends on the song. I feel ATTIG is gone because Don sings more than one line by himself and is the focus of the song for that length of time. In LGTIT I still see it as a Joe lead vocal despite Glenn having many lines. I don’t consider call and response like vocals to count as a lead vocals. He isn’t the focus. Likewise for Randy in Saturday night. I feel KOH is a co lead vocal because the way the two voices are arranged it’s meant to complement each other and without one voice doing the high or the low it doesn’t make any sense. I think co lead vocals should be nearly the entire length of the song. I don’t think you can sing the whole song and not be part of the lead vocal. This is why I think visions is a co lead. Having said that this is just only my opinion

Freypower
02-06-2018, 05:47 PM
I know this might not be satisfactory but I think it just depends on the song. I feel ATTIG is gone because Don sings more than one line by himself and is the focus of the song for that length of time. In LGTIT I still see it as a Joe lead vocal despite Glenn having many lines. I don’t consider call and response like vocals to count as a lead vocals. He isn’t the focus. Likewise for Randy in Saturday night. I feel KOH is a co lead vocal because the way the two voices are arranged it’s meant to complement each other and without one voice doing the high or the low it doesn’t make any sense. I think co lead vocals should be nearly the entire length of the song. I don’t think you can sing the whole song and not be part of the lead vocal. This is why I think visions is a co lead. Having said that this is just only my opinion

I agree with pretty much all you've said, but not even the band list Visions as a co-lead vocal. The others are just harmonising with Felder. It's not really an ensemble vocal the way NMWITW is because Felder does sing the line 'just a taste will do' alone. If you are going to have a co-lead you have to claim who else is singing & while the money is probably on Henley it isn't that obvious.

East Texas Girl
02-06-2018, 06:13 PM
That smile could buckle my knees at a long country mile :faint:

I know, right. :smitten:

YoungEaglesFan
02-06-2018, 06:54 PM
I agree with pretty much all you've said, but not even the band list Visions as a co-lead vocal. The others are just harmonising with Felder. It's not really an ensemble vocal the way NMWITW is because Felder does sing the line 'just a taste will do' alone. If you are going to have a co-lead you have to claim who else is singing & while the money is probably on Henley it isn't that obvious.

That’s a good point. I’ve always seen it that but if the band doesn’t list it that way and Felder does sing that line alone. Good point

sodascouts
02-06-2018, 08:19 PM
I think it has to do with the significance and prominence of the lines song. If we look at LGTIT, Glenn's echos are cool, but they're more for sound. The same is true for Tim's echos in WITW. Honestly, it never even crossed my mind to think of those as "co-leads" and when people started talking about Tim in WITW, I had to sit here and think a moment before I even figured out what people were referring to. They're just supplemental echoes, layering the sound.

On the other hand, Don's few lines in ATTG are, as YEF pointed out, the sole focus. They're not just an echo. The same is true for Don's lines in WDIDWMH, Do Something, Ol' 55, and Doolin' Dalton. To my mind, it's a big difference. All this talk of prominent harmonies or a couple echoing lines at the chorus/bridge/outro/etc. as a "co-lead" has really made me scratch my head.

KOH and GDIH are special cases. The two guys are harmonizing throughout and they both wrote it, so I guess they decided to call it a duet. That being said, to me, it sounds like Don is doing the dominant melody in KOH and Glenn is doing the dominant melody in GDIH - but they're the songwriters!

WalshFan88
02-06-2018, 09:20 PM
While I think the lines Don sings in ATTIG are important to the song, I've always felt Glenn was better at the soul type stuff. To me Don's voice has a rasp that works well in rock or even country, but to me Glenn's soft soul vocal on ATTIG makes it one of my favorites. Though I think Don's lines lyrically and vocally are needed. I know OOTN is a big soul type song for Don, I still feel when it comes to Memphis RnB soul stuff, Glenn's voice is my preference. Not as edgy or raspy.

YoungEaglesFan
02-06-2018, 09:26 PM
While I think the lines Don sings in ATTIG are important to the song, I've always felt Glenn was better at the soul type stuff. To me Don's voice has a rasp that works well in rock or even country, but to me Glenn's soft soul vocal on ATTIG makes it one of my favorites. Though I think Don's lines lyrically and vocally are needed. I know OOTN is a big soul type song for Don, I still feel when it comes to Memphis RnB soul stuff, Glenn's voice is my preference. Not as edgy or raspy.

I agree to an extent. I think within their normal range Glenn has a better soul voice than Don but I think don’s ability to go higher than Glenn gives him an advantage in songs like OOTN. ATTIG is definitely better off with Glenn. I don’t think the song would be nearly as good with Don singing the Glenn parts.