PDA

View Full Version : For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

WKMB55
12-17-2017, 08:47 PM
Walsh Fan 88.....I can only speak for the experiences in my own life and I am fairly certain that my pastor, my beautician, the cashier at the grocery store, the gas station attendant, some life long friends and even some family members---all people in the real world---don't care whether I like or approve of the current band. If acquaintances in your life care how you feel about the current band members then your situation is very different than mine. Just because you don't acknowledge or accept something doesn't change the fact that it still exists. I was born in the 50's and started voting in the 70's. On more than one occasion I have felt like I didn't have a president. I am currently very concerned for the US.

WalshFan88
12-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Just because you don't acknowledge or accept something doesn't change the fact that it still exists.

Perhaps, but you can forget that it exists and not acknowledge it. You can write it out of your memory. You can, for lack of a better word, pretend it doesn't exist. You can write your own history book, and if it makes you feel better, why not!

I feel like I have every right to say how I feel about the band now, and absolutely that can and likely might influence some people. If I can get through to one person, well, then it isn't a lost cause. I feel there is purpose to having this discussion. Otherwise, without this thread, it'd be all one sided. That's not cool.

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Perhaps, but you can forget that it exists and not acknowledge it. You can write it out of your memory. You can, for lack of a better word, pretend it doesn't exist. You can write your own history book, and if it makes you feel better, why not!

I feel like I have every right to say how I feel about the band now, and absolutely that can and likely might influence some people. If I can get through to one person, well, then it isn't a lost cause. I feel there is purpose to having this discussion. Otherwise, without this thread, it'd be all one sided. That's not cool.

I don’t see why you need to pretend it doesn’t exist. You oppose the new lineup. That’s perfectly fine and you should say your opinion on it. But I don’t think living a fantasy world is the answer. At least to me. I am sorry that the current situation has lead to you feeling this way

WalshFan88
12-17-2017, 09:05 PM
I don’t see why you need to pretend it doesn’t exist. You oppose the new lineup. That’s perfectly fine and you should say your opinion on it. But I don’t think living a fantasy world is the answer. At least to me. I am sorry that the current situation has lead to you feeling this way

There is nothing wrong with being imaginative, and being more "in your head". I've always been that way. More imaginative than practical and more idealistic than logical, and it's served me well. I've always lived more in my head as it helps me to deal with things better than facing reality, which has proven to be troublesome for me when the going gets bad, I can retreat and live in my head in, perhaps as you say, a "fantasy world". It's more beautiful there, to be frank.

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 09:06 PM
People who think I would be A-OK with the Eagles continuing if it were only Deacon just don't get it.

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Notice that sentence does not say "It's not the Eagles without someone related to Glenn Frey."

Geez.

I’m afraid that my question got turned into something. I was asking had Glenn approved of them continuing with Deacon, how would you feel. I think you said that has been answered and I am sorry for being repetitive. My goal on here is to have a deeper understanding of your opinions so that i can understand your sentiment. Feel free to not answer it all you want. Many have said they don’t care for me asking the question and although I’m dissapointed by that, this is your thread not mine and I have to respect that

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 09:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with being imaginative, and being more "in your head". I've always been that way. More imaginative than practical and more idealistic than logical, and it's served me well. I've always lived more in my head as it helps me to deal with things better than facing reality, which has proven to be troublesome for me when the going gets bad, I can retreat and live in my head in, perhaps as you say, a "fantasy world". It's more beautiful there, to be frank.

I guess this is a iffy subject as it’s so personal so I’ll just drop the issue. If that’s how you live then it makes sense for you to live that way with the 3.0 lineup. I might disagree but it’s your life not mine

WalshFan88
12-17-2017, 09:13 PM
I guess this is a iffy subject as it’s so personal so I’ll just drop the issue. If that’s how you live then it makes sense for you to live that way with the 3.0 lineup. I might disagree but it’s your life not mine

It's fine. Agree to disagree.

I'm very right brained, creative, and I think it's why I'm a musician. I'm a pretty sensitive person, introverted, yada yada yada. I'm more outspoken online (obviously :hilarious:), but I'm much more reclusive and reserved in real life.

New Kid In Town
12-17-2017, 09:21 PM
I’m afraid that my question got turned into something. I was asking had Glenn approved of them continuing with Deacon, how would you feel. I think you said that has been answered and I am sorry for being repetitive. My goal on here is to have a deeper understanding of your opinions so that i can understand your sentiment. Feel free to not answer it all you want. Many have said they don’t care for me asking the question and although I’m dissapointed by that, this is your thread not mine and I have to respect that

YEF - I think if you have read through this entire thread then you will see how we feel. I think these threads have long sense stated people's sentiments and opinions. This thread has been going on since March, which is unbelievable when you think that we are still talking/arguing over this nine months later. Just my opinion and two cents worth.

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 09:26 PM
YEF - I think if you have read through this entire thread then you will see how we feel. I think these threads have long sense stated people's sentiments and opinions. This thread has been going on since March, which is unbelievable when you think that we are still talking/arguing over this nine months later. Just my opinion and two cents worth.

I understand NKIT. I do think that outside of newcomers, we should move past this thread. I’m guilty of some of this. I think a survivor game or just more conservation about the Eagles music would help.

New Kid In Town
12-17-2017, 09:44 PM
I understand NKIT. I do think that outside of newcomers, we should move past this thread. I’m guilty of some of this. I think a survivor game or just more conservation about the Eagles music would help.

Well, I think this might surprise you, but I agree. As I have said earlier today, I think everything that can be said has been said and nothing will change either groups mind. Just my opinion....

Freypower
12-17-2017, 10:56 PM

For the umpteenth time,NO, I would not agree with it had Glenn approved of them continuing with Deacon.

Soda said;

How many more times does this have to be repeated before the 3.0 crowd understand it? It is not difficult.

Oh, and as for the 'fantasy world' stuff... please. I live in the real world where I have rejected this. In my view it is the surviving band members & their supporters who are dealing in fantasy.

If people are going to use such language, I don't see why I shouldn't.

As for moving on, I have wanted to move on for a long time. All I have wanted was for my objections to be respected, not agreed with.

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 11:00 PM
For the umpteenth time, NO, I would not agree with it had Glenn approved of them continuing with Deacon.

Soda said;

How many more times does this have to be repeated before the 3.0 crowd understand it? It is not difficult.

Oh, and as for the 'fantasy world' stuff... please. I live in the real world where I have rejected this. In my view it is the surviving band members & their supporters who are dealing in fantasy.

If people are going to use such language, I don't see why I shouldn't.

Freypower I apologize for repeating a previous point. I have not personally seen it mentioned but you say you have and I know you are honest. I wish you and the people who reject the current lineup peace and a place to talk. I will keep myself out of the thread

chaim
12-17-2017, 11:15 PM
If the questions asked from us who don't like the current band are genuine - to gain a "deeper understanding" - why are my replies always ignored? Am I not aggressive enough? Is it too hard to get into a fight with me? :hilarious:

(Sorry, I used the wrong verb, to "address" a question, earlier. I fixed it. Gotta work on my English.)

EDIT:

I notice we're moving into a more peaceful direction in this thread for a change. That's nice.

New Kid In Town
12-17-2017, 11:34 PM
If the questions asked from us who don't like the current band are genuine - to gain a "deeper understanding" - why are my replies always ignored? Am I not aggressive enough? Is it too hard to get into a fight with me? :hilarious:

(Sorry, I used the wrong verb, to "address" a question, earlier. It means the opposite to asking a question. I fixed it. Gotta work on my English.)

EDIT:

I notice we're moving into a more peaceful direction in this thread for a change. That's nice.

Chaim - You are always so diplomatic. :)

chaim
12-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Chaim - You are always so diplomatic. :)

But sometimes a bit passive aggressive perhaps. I do notice it. :mrgreen:

YoungEaglesFan
12-17-2017, 11:48 PM

(Sorry, I used the wrong verb, to "address" a question, earlier. I fixed it. Gotta work on my English.)

EDIT:

Chaim- I couldn’t find your response to my question. I found your comment talking about how you don’t care what the lineup does. For my question I didn’t plan on responding unless I felt it was necessary to address something. I appreciate your input and I am glad we have a healthy middle ground on here

Freypower
12-18-2017, 12:35 AM
OK, well I am sorry I sounded so annoyed above. I feel there are only so many times the same question can be answered. I have this to say:

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
What have we found?
The same old fears
Wish you were here

And that is where I now intend to leave it.

Dawn
12-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Maybe slightly more ok with this happening, but I still wouldn't personally think of the band as "Eagles". And musically I'd still have zero interest. I'm not sure about the first thing I said ("this happening"), but I'm sure about the other two (band name/interest musically).

Your response to YEF's question. Right there in plain view.

YEF asked the question but now states there was no real intent/plan to respond unless something needed to be addressed?

I would laugh at the pure absurdity ...:woah:

New Kid In Town
12-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Truthfully, I don't know how many more times we have to keep saying the Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn Frey. And, we would feel the same way if it were Don who passed instead of Glenn. However, I firmly believe Glenn would never had re-grouped and retired the band gracefully.

YoungEaglesFan
12-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Your response to YEF's question. Right there in plain view.

YEF asked the question but now states there was no real intent/plan to respond unless something needed to be addressed?

I would laugh at the pure absurdity ...:woah:

I am dissapointed that you felt you needed to post this. It’s borderline antagonizing and I made every attempt to apologize and leave. I’m not sure why this was necessary. I would not have responded to the answer to my question unless I had a question or they brought something different up. I just didn’t think it was necessary unless something new was added. I was asking for your opinion. I don’t see the need for a response but apparently it’s worth laughing at.

sodascouts
12-18-2017, 11:30 AM
I am dissapointed that you felt you needed to post this. It’s borderline antagonizing and I made every attempt to apologize and leave. I’m not sure why this was necessary. I would not have responded to the answer to my question unless I had a question or they brought something different up. I just didn’t think it was necessary unless something new was added. I was asking for your opinion. I don’t see the need for a response but apparently it’s worth laughing at.

Oh, here we go again, YEF. I knew this post was coming. You're true to form.

The YEF posting model:

1. Post something argumentative / controversial.

2. Make a few more argumentative posts, stoking the flame.

3. Once it gets heated, apologize profusely and say you didn't mean to upset anyone.

4. Cry foul when people are still upset with you, point to your apology/apologies as proof of your innocence, and complain how unfair everyone is to you.

Rinse and repeat.

It's happened too many times to be due to ignorance at this point. You're no longer a newbie. Some of us are onto you, and have lost patience with you. Your apologies now seem insincere, and your controversial statements now come off as trolling... at least to me. Tread carefully.

chaim
12-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Chaim- I couldn’t find your response to my question. I found your comment talking about how you don’t care what the lineup does. For my question I didn’t plan on responding unless I felt it was necessary to address something. I appreciate your input and I am glad we have a healthy middle ground on here

Your queston was:

I’m just curious but had Glenn wanted the band to move on without him with Deacon replacing him, would the anti 3.0 side be ok with this? Or would you think that any group without Glenn calling themselves the Eagles would be wrong?

I replied:

Maybe slightly more ok with this happening, but I still wouldn't personally think of the band as "Eagles". And musically I'd still have zero interest. I'm not sure about the first thing I said ("this happening"), but I'm sure about the other two (band name/interest musically).

So you don't reply to every comment, that's fine. I don't remember which "pro-3.0" person asked the previous questions I was referring to.

chaim
12-18-2017, 12:14 PM

I'm impressed by your honesty and how you're unafraid to reveal something like this about your true self. I don't see this kind of stuff often in the internet.

YoungEaglesFan
12-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Your queston was:

I’m just curious but had Glenn wanted the band to move on without him with Deacon replacing him, would the anti 3.0 side be ok with this? Or would you think that any group without Glenn calling themselves the Eagles would be wrong?

I replied:

So you don't reply to every comment, that's fine. I don't remember which "pro-3.0" person asked the previous questions I was referring to.

I didn’t see it until Dawn showed me. Sorry about that Chaim. I appreciate your view on it.

chaim
12-18-2017, 03:42 PM
I didn’t see it until Dawn showed me. Sorry about that Chaim. I appreciate your view on it.

Thanks. I won't be dwelling on this any further.

Dawn
12-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks Soda, I appreciate the clarification about the origins / purpose of this thread and hope it won't be necessary again.

As you pointed out, newbies can be forgiven for alot. But this isn't that. For all the reasons you cited and perhaps one more: trolls typically promise to leave voluntarily. Few do. It's not in their DNA. The proof is in the pudding.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/487d78ef2dadbcbf9b0eb4fa01d5076b/tenor.gif?itemid=6050108

WKMB55
12-18-2017, 05:51 PM
I thought the very same thing, chaim, about WalshFan88's honesty about how he felt.

WalshFan88
12-18-2017, 11:19 PM
I'm impressed by your honesty and how you're unafraid to reveal something like this about your true self. I don't see this kind of stuff often in the internet.

It's just such a part of me. I'm a pretty closed off person. I don't let many people in my circle lol. When reality gets tough, I try to deal with it, get it out of the way, and then retreat to my head. It's a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that I can distract myself with the thought of something better. I've also fought negative thoughts for years, which is the curse part I guess. I fight it a lot but I'm a big believer in meditation and/or some type of relaxation strategy that involves just shutting everything out and staying in your head and visualize things to help yourself clear your mind. I also think it's very healthy to do so, not wrong.

I think a lot of people are afraid to be imaginative, etc for fear of feeling crazy or feeling like they are too "realistic" for it or it's a sign of a crazy person. Not true.

As far as sharing things online, I'm muuuuuch more social, open, and comfortable online because I most often don't know these people and those who do know me from here, well I'm ok with them knowing this. The others, really I will never know so it's not a problem. I'm more likely to share things online than in person. I'm kind of like the person in the song Desperado. I have fences. I've been burned too many times to just let them down for anyone. I'm ok with being me.

Dawn
12-19-2017, 12:17 AM
Yep, Nope is still here. To no one's surprise. YAWN.

WalshFan88
12-19-2017, 01:40 AM
YEF, you say that you want to try to understand our viewpoint. There are literally 200+ pages on this thread, most of the posts underline quite well our viewpoints of those of us against 3.0. I don't know how to explain it any better for you.

You also say you are going to leave, but never do and you try to spin it so that we're the bad ones. I'm starting to smell a troll. You aren't the only one.

Either stick with it, or (preferably) don't. But the wishy washy leave and come back gets old.

Like I said, you say you want to understand us better, but we can't make it any more clear. If you even just read a few pages, you'll get the jist quite quickly.

Funk 50
12-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Oh, here we go again, YEF. I knew this post was coming. You're true to form.

The YEF posting model:

1. Post something argumentative / controversial.

2. Make a few more argumentative posts, stoking the flame.

3. Once it gets heated, apologize profusely and say you didn't mean to upset anyone.

4. Cry foul when people are still upset with you, point to your apology/apologies as proof of your innocence, and complain how unfair everyone is to you.

Rinse and repeat.

It's happened too many times to be due to ignorance at this point. You're no longer a newbie. Some of us are onto you, and have lost patience with you. Your apologies now seem insincere, and your controversial statements now come off as trolling... at least to me. Tread carefully.

I remember getting a post like this and thinking that the moderators should get involved.... then I realized that it was the moderators that were posting it!:stunned:

Somebody needs to check the billboards :unimpressed:

WalshFan88
12-19-2017, 10:22 AM
I remember getting a post like this and thinking that the moderators should get involved.... then I realized that it was the moderators that were posting it!:stunned:

Spare me. You are just as bad as YEF. I agree with Soda 110%.

PS: the billboard thing doesn’t matter. Just because it says one thing it doesn’t change the fact it’s a fraud. In fact, that’s the problem. It’s not the Eagles.

chaim
12-19-2017, 11:08 AM
It's just such a part of me. I'm a pretty closed off person. I don't let many people in my circle lol. When reality gets tough, I try to deal with it, get it out of the way, and then retreat to my head. It's a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that I can distract myself with the thought of something better. I've also fought negative thoughts for years, which is the curse part I guess. I fight it a lot but I'm a big believer in meditation and/or some type of relaxation strategy that involves just shutting everything out and staying in your head and visualize things to help yourself clear your mind. I also think it's very healthy to do so, not wrong.

I think a lot of people are afraid to be imaginative, etc for fear of feeling crazy or feeling like they are too "realistic" for it or it's a sign of a crazy person. Not true.

As far as sharing things online, I'm muuuuuch more social, open, and comfortable online because I most often don't know these people and those who do know me from here, well I'm ok with them knowing this. The others, really I will never know so it's not a problem. I'm more likely to share things online than in person. I'm kind of like the person in the song Desperado. I have fences. I've been burned too many times to just let them down for anyone. I'm ok with being me.

What impressed me was the way you handled the situation. Somebody criticized something you said in some way - don't remember who or what it was and it's irrelevant - and instead of going "No, no, no, what I meant was..." and perhaps changing your story to "beat" the other person (something I see every day in the internet) you basically said, "sure, that's who I am".

It's also interesting that I see a bit of myself in what you have said. Being "in your head", fighting negative thoughts etc...

Dawn
12-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Spare me. You are just as bad as YEF. I agree with Soda 110%.

PS: the billboard thing doesn’t matter. Just because it says one thing it doesn’t change the fact it’s a fraud. In fact, that’s the problem. It’s not the Eagles.

I agree.

Yesterday was the 30 day mark to the 2nd Anniversary of Glenn Frey's passing. It still feels surreal.

Bottom Line: Nothing the current lineup says or does can change the fact that for me the Eagles without Glenn Frey is not the Eagles.

Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.

Freypower
12-19-2017, 05:44 PM

The statement in red comes from my post.Yes, I bolded it & increased the size (I repeated Soda's statement from page 215). Why did you go to all the trouble of retyping what I wrote, instead of just quoting me? Or quoting Soda, for that matter? I am pretty sure that I can say that she stands by what she wrote, as do I.

As opposed to the endless posts by you over the last two years which have caused people like me nothing but hurt. Never mind. I stand corrected by you.

I am sure Soda will respond accordingly to your apparent criticism of her post as a moderator/admin.

Dawn
12-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Jeez Funk ... why are you here if only to purposefully antagonize and browbeat? What does that say about YOU?

One word. BULLY

sodascouts
12-28-2017, 06:12 PM
If you want to complain about what the faux Eagles are charging as well as talking about how wrong it is that they are even on the stage in the first place, much less charging MORE, feel free to let it rip over here. I think if we get too deep about legitimacy in the ticket thread, it will take that one off topic.

NightMistBlue
12-28-2017, 06:17 PM
What impressed me was the way you handled the situation. Somebody criticized something you said in some way - don't remember who or what it was and it's irrelevant - and instead of going "No, no, no, what I meant was..." and perhaps changing your story to "win" the other person (something I see every day in the internet) you basically said, "sure, that's who I am".

It's also interesting that I see a bit of myself in what you have said. Being "in your head", fighting negative thoughts etc...

Me too. Full points for bravery, Austin! And you accept the way you are, which is an accomplishment in itself.

Freypower
12-28-2017, 06:23 PM
If you want to complain about what the faux Eagles are charging as well as talking about how wrong it is that they are even on the stage in the first place, much less charging MORE, feel free to let it rip over here. I think if we get too deep about legitimacy in the ticket thread, it will take that one off topic.

Sorry Soda. I will stay out of that thread. I should have stayed out of it in the first place.

sodascouts
12-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Me too. Full points for bravery, Austin! And you accept the way you are, which is an accomplishment in itself.

Indeed.

sodascouts
12-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Sorry Soda. I will stay out of that thread. I should have stayed out of it in the first place.

Well, I meant what I said there about ticket prices too. People are willing to pay those prices, so it's hardly surprising that the faux Eagles are charging what they can get. There are obviously plenty of people who will shell out for this glorified cover band without hesitation. If it says "EAGLES" on the marquee, they'll go.

How many times have we heard it? "I want to see the EAGLES" - that's all the matters. Who cares who's in the band?

MAYBE people wouldn't want to see an Eagles without Don Henley. Hard to say. After all, I used to say no one would want to see the Eagles without Glenn Frey and I was proven wrong. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Because this "EAGLES" isn't a BAND anymore. It's a BRAND.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Well, I meant what I said there about ticket prices too. People are willing to pay those prices, so it's hardly surprising that the faux Eagles are charging what they can get. There are obviously plenty of people who will shell out for this glorified cover band without hesitation. If it says "EAGLES" on the marquee, they'll go.

How many times have we heard it? "I want to see the EAGLES" - that's all the matters. As I've said before, if it says "EAGLES" on the marquee, they'll go. Who cares who's in the band?

MAYBE people wouldn't want to see an Eagles without Don Henley. Hard to say. After all, I used to say no one would want to see the Eagles without Glenn Frey and I was proven wrong. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Wow Soda! As our dearly departed Eagle used to say, "That about clocks it."

New Kid In Town
12-28-2017, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by NightMistBlue Me too. Full points for bravery, Austin! And you accept the way you are, which is an accomplishment in itself.

Originally Posted by Soda Indeed.

Agree !

Dawn
12-29-2017, 09:21 PM

How many times have we heard it? "I want to see the EAGLES" - that's all the matters. Who cares who's in the band?

I have been wondering about Don Henley ever since I first read your post.

He has to know or at least suspect he is as expendable as Glenn Frey. The only question I have is who would the brand get to replace him? Family? Their long time touring drummer?

New Kid In Town
12-29-2017, 09:44 PM
I have been wondering about Don Henley ever since I first read your post.

He has to know or at least suspect he is as expendable as Glenn Frey. The only question I have is who would the brand get to replace him? Family? Their long time touring drummer?

Hi Dawn - There are plenty of Eagles Tribute Bands who have singers who sound/sing almost as good as Don. He could be just as replaceable as Glenn. However, would Joe and Tim do that ? They are both 70 now. I think when Don retires that will be it for the so called Eagles. I believe had Don passed instead of Glenn we would not be discussing this. He would have called it quits. We know Will is supposed to be a good drummer. But have we heard anything about whether any of his three kids can sing ? Look at Journey, they found a kid on you tube who sounds almost like Steve Perry.

Dawn
12-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Hi Dawn - There are plenty of Eagles Tribute Bands who have singers who sound/sing almost as good as Don. He could be just as replaceable as Glenn. However, would Joe and Tim do that ? They are both 70 now. I think when Don retires that will be it for the so called Eagles. I believe had Don passed instead of Glenn we would not be discussing this. He would have called it quits. We know Will is supposed to be a good drummer. But have we heard anything about whether any of his three kids can sing ? Look at Journey, they found a kid on you tube who sounds almost like Steve Perry.

Hi NKIT! You make some good points. Personally I can't really see Joe or Tim wanting to continue without Henley but then again if they are healthy and still able to perform at a level that meets their demands/expectations who knows, this could go on indefinitly.

EagleInKansas
12-29-2017, 11:16 PM
There are plenty of Eagles Tribute Bands who have singers who sound/sing almost as good as Don.

No, there aren't.

New Kid In Town
12-29-2017, 11:23 PM
No, there aren't.

Well EIK, have you heard every single one of them ? I have friends who have gone to see three tribute bands and told me the guy who sang Don's songs sounded almost exactly like him. His voice is not that unusual that someone could not be found who sounds like him.

EagleInKansas
12-29-2017, 11:33 PM
I've heard a couple. Not my thing.

New Kid In Town
12-29-2017, 11:42 PM
I've heard a couple. Not my thing.

I have never seen a tribute band but my friends who saw those tribute bands could not get over how much the guy who sang Don's songs sounded like him.

I don't want to argue over this. So, have a great new year.

EagleInKansas
12-29-2017, 11:43 PM
Didn't really think we were arguing, but OK! You too.

Dawn
12-30-2017, 11:43 AM
I think they are waiting to see how the current tour sells before announcing further concert dates and venues for the rest of the year.

WalshFan88
12-30-2017, 11:31 PM
There are plenty of Eagles Tribute Bands who have singers who sound/sing almost as good as Don. He could be just as replaceable as Glenn.

Couldn't agree more.

I guarantee you some if not most of these Don fans would be very much against the Eagles continuing without him, regardless of what they say. They aren't in that position to judge, IMO. But since it's Glenn, and so many think Don is the voice of the Eagles (wrong) they are ok with it. They are just as biased as we are. The sad fact is, Don Henley always seemed to garner more attention. It always bothered me at the Eagles shows I went to, the crowd cheered louder for Don than for Glenn, when if it weren't for Glenn asking Don, this band wouldn't exist. Everyone goes on and on about how great of a singer Don is, while the fact is that Glenn was an equally good and often underrated (even by his own accord) singer. It really bothers me that Henley tended to steal the spotlight. Just my 2c.

WalshFan88
12-30-2017, 11:44 PM
What impressed me was the way you handled the situation. Somebody criticized something you said in some way - don't remember who or what it was and it's irrelevant - and instead of going "No, no, no, what I meant was..." and perhaps changing your story to "win" the other person (something I see every day in the internet) you basically said, "sure, that's who I am".

I wasn't always that way. I'm still very much a shy introverted person IRL, and I've come to terms with that, much like the stuff I described. It's something that gets better and easier with time (accepting yourself). Realizing you beat to a different drum is hard to understand and hard for people to understand. The "normals" as it were. I used to care what they thought and it consumed me. I was bullied terribly in school for being different. Now I live by a no tolerance policy. I always believe in second chances but I'm not going to let myself be treated like crap or let someone's view of me affect my inner peace anymore. Nor do I openly trust until proven otherwise. They have to earn my trust and respect.

Thanks to you, WKM, NMB, and Soda for the props. :)

EagleInKansas
12-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Couldn't agree more.

I guarantee you some if not most of these Don fans would be very much against the Eagles continuing without him, regardless of what they say.

So Don Henley fans are liars. Interesting.

Not that I need to answer slander, but, as a Henley fan, I would probably be even more motivated to continue supporting the remaining band members, understanding that life is fleeting and that because they were probably finding healing in continuing to play music, that might help me heal, too. Which is how I view the continuation without Glenn.

But disregard this, I'm clearly lying and out of touch with my own feelings.

Dawn
12-31-2017, 02:10 PM
Personally I don't equate the band continuing without Glenn Frey as a healing opportunity -- in fact, for me it's been very distressful and probably always will be.

EagleInKansas
12-31-2017, 02:18 PM
It probably is for them, though, and I know if someone close to me died I would lean on his or her friends and family to help all of us get through it. I don't see this situation any differently, even though it's a little more broad. I will always see this, especially when attached to things like $100,000 donations in Glenn's name, as a tribute to Glenn. The only reason people still care about the band without him in it, ironically enough, is because he built it that way.

Dawn
12-31-2017, 02:34 PM
It probably is for them, though, and I know if someone close to me died I would lean on his or her friends and family to help all of us get through it. I don't see this situation any differently, even though it's a little more broad. I will always see this, especially when attached to things like $100,000 donations in Glenn's name, as a tribute to Glenn. The only reason people still care about the band without him in it, ironically enough, is because he built it that way.

A donation in Glenn 's name was a nice gesture but does not change the way I feel about the current lineup and replacement of tbe irreplaceable Glenn Frey.

"Accept No Substitutes." - Don Henley

EagleInKansas
12-31-2017, 02:42 PM
It took his own son and a 21-time Grammy winner to "replace" Glenn, even though I still see it as a tribute, not a replacement. Glenn is a giant. The band only exists because of him. We feel the same way about Glenn but are just acting differently on it. I think that's ok.

New Kid In Town
12-31-2017, 02:43 PM

Not that I need to answer slander, but, as a Henley fan, I would probably be even more motivated to continue supporting the remaining band members, understanding that life is fleeting and that because they were probably finding healing in continuing to play music, that might help me heal, too. Which is how I view the continuation without Glenn.

OMG EIK - Austin did not say Don fans are liars. Don't put words in his mouth. Jeez....

EagleInKansas
12-31-2017, 02:47 PM
He said they feel one way but say something different. If that's not lying, what is it?

Dawn
12-31-2017, 03:15 PM
It took his own son and a 21-time Grammy winner to "replace" Glenn, even though I still see it as a tribute, not a replacement. Glenn is a giant. The band only exists because of him. We feel the same way about Glenn but are just acting differently on it. I think that's ok.

No, clearly we do not "feel" the same way about Glenn Frey. IMO he was replaced to best enable the brand to commit to a very ambitious touring schedule in the US and quite possibly overseas.

EagleInKansas
12-31-2017, 03:50 PM
I promise that we do, but if you want to be holier-than-thou, I'm not going to stop you. I know what's in my heart and my mind. Thank you.

Dawn
12-31-2017, 04:24 PM
I promise that we do, but if you want to be holier-than-thou, I'm not going to stop you. I know what's in my heart and my mind. Thank you.

Save the dramatics, it's simple. I believe Glenn Frey is irreplaceable. You clearly do not.

WalshFan88
12-31-2017, 04:45 PM

Stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm trying to say, in a roundabout way, that if Don Henley had died, in theory you think you'd be ok with moving on, but until you were put in that position, it isn't confirmed the way you would feel about it. I can say how I might feel if something bad happens in my life, but until it would happen (hopefully not), there is no guarantee. I might feel the opposite. That's what I'm saying.

The only way you would even know how you would feel about it, is if it would have happened instead of Glenn passing. You can say you'd be ok with moving on, but if it was reality, you might find yourself in a very different viewpoint.

New Kid In Town
12-31-2017, 05:47 PM
Stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm trying to say, in a roundabout way, that if Don Henley had died, in theory you think you'd be ok with moving on, but until you were put in that position, it isn't confirmed the way you would feel about it. I can say how I might feel if something bad happens in my life, but until it would happen (hopefully not), there is no guarantee. I might feel the opposite. That's what I'm saying.

The only way you would even know how you would feel about it, is if it would have happened instead of Glenn passing. You can say you'd be ok with moving on, but if it was reality, you might find yourself in a very different viewpoint.

Exactly !

Witchy Woman
12-31-2017, 06:51 PM
FFS people !!

This whole discussion has gotten pedantic and tiresome. We can all speculate til the cows come home about if Glenn would have continued had Don died first, but the truth of it is none of us will ever know, as the reverse happened. I would like to believe that wouldn't have happened, because much like Glenn, Don is irreplaceable. I could give a flying fornication if there are people who "sing just as good" as Don, because to me no one else can, or ever will. No one will ever match the songwriting pair of Henley/Frey, and no one will ever match the harmonies. You either accept the new lineup, or you don't. Simple as that. To insult those that don't agree with you is flat out stupid and immature.

shunlvswx
12-31-2017, 07:10 PM
But its ok that the ones who are ok with the guys going on being insulted by the people who are not ok with it. Imo Both sides are insulting each other and please don't say you're not. I'm not pointing fingers at one side. Both sides are guilty of this. Not just one side. I myself don't come in this thread that much to start stuff, but sometimes I have defend myself and only myself.

I tried to forgive with being called names or being insulting by why I didn't see the guys when Glenn was alive, but this is going too far with the insulting. For your information. Don't be insulting us with the "you don't know how it feels" line. I really find that very insulting and very hurtful. Do not put me in that category with the ones you think are insulting you. You don't know how I feel.

I really hate how this board has turned. Nobody is safe to talk about anything anymore. It can be any side. For or against the guys going on. This board is not going to get any better with each side hating each other and both sides are afraid to say anything without both sides insulting each other.

Also how can respect someone's feelings when neither side don't respect each other. I try to respect other's feelings, but its hard when you don't give it back in return. We can say we're sorry everytime, but we go right back to insulting each other. Like we didn't mean it the first time.

I've been a member of this board going on 5 years. That's when I truly became a fan of the Eagles and kinda rediscovered them. I loved coming here to talk about anything that was Eagles related. When Glenn died, this board changed big time. Imo I'm afraid to come here now with being afraid of being insulted with people I thought were friends.

Like Rodney King said. Why can't we all just get along, but I know that will never happen.

Witchy Woman
12-31-2017, 07:46 PM
I agree with you, Shundra. I have taken a break from this board because I felt it was getting way too dramatic. I'm happy that you are finally getting to see them. Like I have said, I have no issues with those who support the new lineup. I have always liked you, and I appreciate and respect your opinions, both here and on DHAG.

New Kid In Town
12-31-2017, 08:05 PM
But its ok that the ones who are ok with the guys going on being insulted by the people who are not ok with it. Imo Both sides are insulting each other and please don't say you're not. I'm not pointing fingers at one side. Both sides are guilty of this. Not just one side. I myself don't come in this thread that much to start stuff, but sometimes I have defend myself and only myself.

I tried to forgive with being called names or being insulting by why I didn't see the guys when Glenn was alive, but this is going too far with the insulting. For your information. Don't be insulting us with the "you don't know how it feels" line. I really find that very insulting and very hurtful. Do not put me in that category with the ones you think are insulting you. You don't know how I feel.

I really hate how this board has turned. Nobody is safe to talk about anything anymore. It can be any side. For or against the guys going on. This board is not going to get any better with each side hating each other and both sides are afraid to say anything without both sides insulting each other.

Also how can respect someone's feelings when neither side don't respect each other. I try to respect other's feelings, but its hard when you don't give it back in return. We can say we're sorry everytime, but we go right back to insulting each other. Like we didn't mean it the first time.

I've been a member of this board going on 5 years. I loved coming here to talk about anything that was Eagles related. When Glenn died, this board changed big time. Imo I'm afraid to come here now with being afraid of being insulted with people I thought were friends.

Like Rodney King said. Why can't we all just get alone, but I know that will never happen.

Shun - I am sorry this whole thing has upset you. It certainly has gotten nasty at times. I have always said I have no problem with people who saw the guys this year and plan to see the band in 2018. No one should ever feel they have to apologize for never having seen the Eagles before Glenn passed. Nobody knows what goes on in someone's life. I hope you don't leave the board. Speaking for myself, I appreciate everything you do for the board, the time you spend finding and putting up all the videos and articles and taking the time to give all those updates from Sirius radio.
So, I just want to say thanks and I hope I continue to see your posts here.

Dawn
12-31-2017, 08:33 PM
We ALL know the purpose and intent of this thread is NOT to afford supporters of the current lineup an unchecked opportunity to harass non supporters. Yet the drive by nasty innuendoes, insults, personal attacks and other BS aimed at non supporters continues and when "checked" all that's left is to play the proverbial guilt card.

Well you know what? I don't much care how many ways or times supporters come to this thread for no other reason than to bait non supporters into a pissing contest.

Not my problem.

I fully intend to stand my ground and continue to express my thoughts, feelings and opinions about the current lineup in THE THREAD reserved for NON SUPPORTERS.

Next.

WalshFan88
12-31-2017, 08:49 PM
I fully intend to stand my ground and continue to express my thoughts, feelings and opinions about the current lineup in THE THREAD reserved for NON SUPPORTERS.

Exactly.

There has been a lot of baiting and trolling and a lot of victimization and a whole lot of stirring the pot and then retracting saying that's not what they meant.

If they don't like it, it is REALLY simple to avoid the thread. The supporters that are all up in arms about our lack of participation, need to not visit this thread. There's plenty others for them to enjoy. Move along, folks. You've already seen it.

I don't think saying "you don't know how it feels" is wrong or inaccurate. Much like those of us Glenn diehard fans wouldn't maybe fully understand the reverse situation if Don had died. I definitely don't think the supporters understand how those of us feel, and we can't make it any plainer. Time for them to move on.

If someone bothers you, you ignore them and move on. Not keep telling them how wrong they are. You need to avoid the situation completely. Just my opinion. You'll be happier in the long run and so will we from having to hear about it.

On another note - instead of worrying about board drama, how about enjoy New Years Eve or just a good time if you aren't celebrating. I am done for tonight.

Dawn
12-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Nothing and no one can change the fact that Glenn Frey has been replaced and the Eagles is not the same band nor will it ever be.

What is unknown is how much time is left on the clock.

Freypower
12-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks Dawn & Austin.

I feel that those of us who are against it are being treated as enemies & traitors. I completely reject this and consider it to be emotional blackmail. I'm not going to put up with it.

The more the 3.0 supporters come to this thread & try & tell us how wrong we are, the more they will alienate us. We don't go to their concert threads. We make an effort to stay away. Perhaps they should do the same.

sodascouts
01-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Can we avoid the Don fan vs Glenn fan crap? It's not about that, at least not for me, and going there serves no purpose but to make Don fans feel defensive.

I am not pissed off about this because I'm a Glenn fan. I'm pissed off about this because I'm an Eagles fan.

Dawn
01-01-2018, 12:34 PM
It appears to me this issue has it's roots in the mindset of certain 3.0 supporters who take exception to suggestions that had it been Don who passed away instead of Glenn perhaps they would view the situation differently. Or at the very least understand why fans who do not support the band continuing WITHOUT Glenn Frey feel as they do. While I agree it shouldn't get down to that level (Glenn fans v Don fans) the suggestion was a valid one because it does bring into focus why non-supporters of 3.0 could/would view the current lineup as non-legitmate even with Don Henley's endorsement.

sodascouts
01-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Additionally:

The board changed when Glenn died because everything changed when Glenn died; the Eagles ended.

I can't just go back to "business as usual." Move Glenn to "former Eagles." Replace the banner including Glenn with one including Vince Gill and Deacon. Gush about all the wonderful new "Eagles" shows in the review threads and eventually, let all the reviews including Glenn fall further away.... page 2, page 3... Put on a happy face.

Other people can feel free to celebrate this "Eagles" but I won't be joining in. I'm tired of being told I have to.

It is the way it is.

Dawn
01-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Soda, I totally understand and as always value your POV both as the owner/creator of this forum and website as well as an Eagles fan.

When I think about the considerable time, effort and expense that comes attached to an endeavor like this I am thankful for your commitment as well as the moderators. It really is a labor of love (and respect) and I sincerely thank you and each of the moderators.

Best,

Dawn

sodascouts
01-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Thanks Dawn, but I wasn't trying to draw attention to that. It's just that it seems some people want me to give my blessing to this venture because my lack of support is hindering their enjoyment. Unfortunately, I can't do that.

I say to people who are enthusiastic about this: stop coming to this thread and scolding us. Go enjoy your band. Don't worry about whether or not we support it.

WalshFan88
01-01-2018, 06:24 PM
I say to people who are enthusiastic about this: stop coming to this thread and scolding us. Go enjoy your band. Don't worry about whether or not we support it.

Bingo.

Glennsallnighter
01-01-2018, 06:35 PM
I've written various responses to this post, they all seem wrong so I have deleted them and begun again. Over the past few years I have had many discussions with people whom I know both on and off the Border about the future of the band. I respect the views of those who feel that the band can and must go on. I suspect that at least some of these people may never have seen a live Eagles show and now feel that they have a last chance saloon opportunity to see them and know what has made us all such groupies for so many years. What kept us going back, paying high prices, travelling far and wide, whatever. Others perhaps went to see the surviving Eagles and to them little has changed - Get Deacon and Vince in to sing Glenn :heart:'s songs and continue as normal. I hope you guys to whom I am referring never felt insulted by anything that I said.

Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn :heart:. It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it. I have seen Henley solo since Glenn :heart: died. I have seen the tribute band that I have always gone to. Tonight I christened my new DVD player with the Farewell 1 DVD. In short I felt very emotional.

The last 2 years have brought me from the end of a period in my life where I was literally riding the crest of a wave to one where I feel at times that I am barely holding on. I've had to reevaluate a lot of things in my life and I know whats worth fighting for and what isn't. So what I suppose I'm trying to say very clumsily is to those who want the band to go on have fun, enjoy the shows, find whatever you are looking for, but please realise that not all of us revel in it and allow us to have our opinions too.

JTA, Soda has been a fabulous administrator of the Border since it started over 11 years ago- she always moderates with fairness and objectivity. The last 2 years have not been easy for her either and she is doing an excellent job navigating through this quagmire of a thread.

Witchy Woman
01-01-2018, 11:33 PM

This.

WalshFan88
01-02-2018, 12:38 AM
I am not pissed off about this because I'm a Glenn fan. I'm pissed off about this because I'm an Eagles fan.

For me, honestly, it's both. In my opinion no Glenn or Don = no Eagles. But as a big Glenn fan, it doubly bothers me how some could overlook it and or the fact that I feel he has been wronged. I've said it before for me there is no band without Glenn or Don. But for me, Glenn will always be the Eagles. Just my feelings on the matter. I wouldn't go see them if Glenn were there and Don wasn't, but the feeling still stands. I won't lie, it was a double whammy. One of the two that can't be replaced did, and it was the one IMO who was the guy for me. Not only as an Eagles fan, but as one who was a Glenn Frey fan.

Everyone has their reasons for being against this, those are just mine.

Regardless, I agree that pitting Glenn fans against Don fans isn't a good idea going forward. Both sides are being defensive and that's fine. It's to be expected.

chaim
01-02-2018, 02:40 AM
I tend to be diplomatic about this, but since we who don't like what the band is doing continue to be "harassed" in our own thread, I don't see too much point in diplomacy anymore. So I'll say it more clearly than I have before: In my opinion this new "Eagles" is ridiculous.

EDIT:

This site is maintained by a fan. It's not an official site. So the idea that she's obliged to support the current activities is utterly ridiculous. Anyone who feels miserable here is totally free to build a website of their own. Although, as has been pointed out, there's plenty of playground here for people who enjoy the current band. And a lot of us who don't enjoy it still find it interesting to read about about recent concert experiences etc. At least I do.

sodascouts
01-02-2018, 11:55 AM
For me, honestly, it's both. In my opinion no Glenn or Don = no Eagles. But as a big Glenn fan, it doubly bothers me how some could overlook it and or the fact that I feel he has been wronged. I've said it before for me there is no band without Glenn or Don. But for me, Glenn will always be the Eagles. Just my feelings on the matter. I wouldn't go see them if Glenn were there and Don wasn't, but the feeling still stands. I won't lie, it was a double whammy. One of the two that can't be replaced did, and it was the one IMO who was the guy for me. Not only as an Eagles fan, but as one who was a Glenn Frey fan.

Everyone has their reasons for being against this, those are just mine.

OK, I see what you mean, but...

Regardless, I agree that pitting Glenn fans against Don fans isn't a good idea going forward. THIS.

Dawn
01-02-2018, 12:40 PM
I think it is important to note that we are not the only fans who are non supportive of the current lineup. I have read numerous comments on other fan pages, forums and in the comments section of various online media outlets.

The opinions range from No Glenn = No Eagles to complaints about the high ticket prices, Vince Gill, and Don Henley. I see very little if any negative feedback about Timothy or Joe.

While it's clear there is support for this lineup I think the addition of Vince Gill has enabled them to capitalize on his popularity with country music fans and the country music industry at large.

At the end of the day it doesn't much matter to me. The Eagles with Glenn Frey singing the songs we all want to hear still exists. I'm listening right now and to be quite frank that's more than enough for me. It's the real thing. Not a substitution.

FWIW: I've referenced Don Henley's directive "Accept No Substitutes" often in my posts about 3.0 because I believe though clearly it isn't meaningful to Henley any longer it is still relevant.

sodascouts
01-02-2018, 12:52 PM
I've written various responses to this post, they all seem wrong so I have deleted them and begun again. Over the past few years I have had many discussions with people whom I know both on and off the Border about the future of the band. I respect the views of those who feel that the band can and must go on. I suspect that at least some of these people may never have seen a live Eagles show and now feel that they have a last chance saloon opportunity to see them and know what has made us all such groupies for so many years. What kept us going back, paying high prices, travelling far and wide, whatever. Others perhaps went to see the surviving Eagles and to them little has changed - Get Deacon and Vince in to sing Glenn :heart:'s songs and continue as normal. I hope you guys to whom I am referring never felt insulted by anything that I said.

Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn :heart:. It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it. I have seen Henley solo since Glenn :heart: died. I have seen the tribute band that I have always gone to. Tonight I christened my new DVD player with the Farewell 1 DVD. In short I felt very emotional.

I know what you mean. It's very hard for me to watch the videos too, especially with the two year anniversary coming up.

The last 2 years have brought me from the end of a period in my life where I was literally riding the crest of a wave to one where I feel at times that I am barely holding on. I've had to reevaluate a lot of things in my life and I know whats worth fighting for and what isn't. So what I suppose I'm trying to say very clumsily is to those who want the band to go on have fun, enjoy the shows, find whatever you are looking for, but please realise that not all of us revel in it and allow us to have our opinions too. I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much. I hope people hear what you're saying regarding opinions (and it wasn't said clumsily, BTW).

New Kid In Town
01-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Quote: Dawn - It appears to me this issue has it's roots in the mindset of certain 3.0 supporters who take exception to suggestions that had it been Don who passed away instead of Glenn perhaps they would view the situation differently. Or at the very least understand why fans who do not support the band continuing WITHOUT Glenn Frey feel as they do. While I agree it shouldn't get down to that level (Glenn fans v Don fans) the suggestion was a valid one because it does bring into focus why non-supporters of 3.0 could/would view the current lineup as non-legitmate even with Don Henley's endorsement.

Dawn - Like Glenn said - that about clocks it for sure.

Quote: Glennsallnighter - I've written various responses to this post, they all seem wrong so I have deleted them and begun again. Over the past few years I have had many discussions with people whom I know both on and off the Border about the future of the band. I respect the views of those who feel that the band can and must go on. I suspect that at least some of these people may never have seen a live Eagles show and now feel that they have a last chance saloon opportunity to see them and know what has made us all such groupies for so many years. What kept us going back, paying high prices, travelling far and wide, whatever. Others perhaps went to see the surviving Eagles and to them little has changed - Get Deacon and Vince in to sing Glenn :heart:'s songs and continue as normal. I hope you guys to whom I am referring never felt insulted by anything that I said.

The last 2 years have brought me from the end of a period in my life where I was literally riding the crest of a wave to one where I feel at times that I am barely holding on. I've had to reevaluate a lot of things in my life and I know whats worth fighting for and what isn't. So what I suppose I'm trying to say very clumsily is to those who want the band to go on have fun, enjoy the shows, find whatever you are looking for, but please realise that not all of us revel in it and allow us to have our opinions too.

JTA, Soda has been a fabulous administrator of the Border since it started over 11 years ago- she always moderates with fairness and objectivity. The last 2 years have not been easy for her either and she is doing an excellent job navigating through this quagmire of a thread.[/quote]

GA - Well said and could not agree more.

Dawn
01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
I agree, well said GA. Thank You. ~ Dawn

01-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Actually - this entire page about clocks it. Well done everyone!

And GA - I am sorry that you have had such a rough year. Your post was far from clumsy. I loved it, especially this:

"Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn :heart: It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it.

I couldn't agree more. When Glenn quit in 1980, the band ceased to exist until he agreed to reunite in 1994. If he were still with us, Glenn would have remained as long as he wanted the band to exist. Everyone always acknowledged that the decision about whether or not to continue the band always rested with Glenn when he was alive and after his passing, the remaining members unanimously set the expectation that they would not continue without him. Simply put, they all stated there could be no Eagles without Glenn. That's the way it should have been.

But, as I’ve said in the past, I guess if anyone doesn’t believe that Glenn’s contributions to the band are unparalleled and he is essential to any band called 'Eagles', then any attempt to convince them is probably feudal. On the other hand, any attempt to convince us otherwise is also an exercise in futility. So, I think it would be great if we can all just accept that and be respectful of one another.

maryc2130
01-04-2018, 07:35 PM
I didn't really get that this thread was supposed to be exclusively for those against the current lineup. If that's the case, the title is confusing. It seems to me that when it started, it was a place to discuss and debate Eagles 3.0, positive or negative.

Regardless, I've been trying to stay out of the thread as it's not good for my blood pressure. Sometimes, like today, I click on it without thinking about it, so I'm not really even sure why I'm commenting. LOL.

WalshFan88
01-04-2018, 08:15 PM
GA - Very well said. I hope those who come in here and get all upset at those of us who don't like this will read your post and take it into consideration. I hope things look up for you soon. Take care. I also agree that it was Glenn's band.

New Kid In Town
01-04-2018, 08:45 PM

And GA - I am sorry that you have had such a rough year. Your post was far from clumsy. I loved it, especially this:

"Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn :heart: It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it.

I couldn't agree more. When Glenn quit in 1980, the band ceased to exist until he agreed to reunite in 1994. If he were still with us, Glenn would have remained as long as he wanted the band to exist. Everyone always acknowledged that the decision about whether or not to continue the band always rested with Glenn when he was alive and after his passing, the remaining members unanimously set the expectation that they would not continue without him. Simply put, they all stated there could be no Eagles without Glenn. That's the way it should have been.

But, as I’ve said in the past, I guess if anyone doesn’t believe that Glenn’s contributions to the band are unparalleled and he is essential to any band called 'Eagles', then any attempt to convince them is probably feudal. On the other hand, any attempt to convince us otherwise is also an exercise in futility. So, I think it would be great if we can all just accept that and be respectful of one another.

Dreamer - I totally agree and could not have said it better myself.
GA and Austin - Exactly how I think we all feel.

Dawn
01-05-2018, 02:10 PM

That's exactly right, when Glenn was unwilling and/or unable to perform, tour or record the Eagles were grounded. It was Glenn who called timeout and timein.

sodascouts
01-06-2018, 02:43 AM
I didn't really get that this thread was supposed to be exclusively for those against the current lineup. If that's the case, the title is confusing. It seems to me that when it started, it was a place to discuss and debate Eagles 3.0, positive or negative.

As I said earlier, the purpose of the thread changed over time as the circumstances changed. However, you have a good point about the thread title no longer being descriptive - it's actually something i have been worried about as well. We might fiddle with things a bit to clarify in coming days.

chaim
01-06-2018, 07:13 AM
Yeah, I can understand if the current "purpose of this thread" isn't clear to everyone. It has been said many times, but people haven't necessarily read the whole thread. I agree that a more descreptive title would help.

WalshFan88
01-06-2018, 03:01 PM
I agree a title change could clear it up, but I guess I would have thought it was clear what opinion dominated this thread and that it was for those of us against it. Still, for newcomers, I think it's a good idea to clear the air about the thread's purpose. I've never had a problem with what the thread was called. I've only had a problem with those who insist on trolling or those who get upset at our views.

Freypower
01-06-2018, 05:42 PM
I also am not against the title of the thread being changed, but if it starts another avalanche of supporters being unhappy about 'negativity' it could backfire, perhaps. :weep:

01-09-2018, 11:12 PM
As I do on occasion, I went over to the Eagles official site out of curiosity earlier today. At the top of the banner, in a font so small that I didn’t even notice it at a first and even second glance, it reads ‘Glenn Frey 1948 -2016’. So that’s what we have left of the founding member and leader of the band for over 45 years. Of course, underneath the banner is a nice large picture of the new band with said leader’s replacements, and below that, in font about 2/3’s larger than said leader’s acknowledgement is the announcement of the new tour.

I swear it literally turned my stomach when I saw it. I started thinking back to the beginning of the original Eagles 3.0 thread when some members kept warning us about how much we were overreacting – after all they were only doing two shows that would be wonderful opportunities to pay proper tribute to Glenn that he so deserved … and it’s not like they were replacing him in the band – everyone knew he could never be replaced for goodness sake ... and therefore, it really didn’t matter what they called themselves … yadda yadda yadda. All I can say is what a difference a year (or maybe it’s 9 months) makes.

I also remember some discussions on the board back several years ago around the time that a few shows had to be canceled due to Don’s and Tim’s health issues when I proclaimed on several occasions that if any of the four remaining member were unable to continue, then I truly believed the band would call it quits. Wow! – How foolish and naïve was I ??? OOPS! So, at this point, yeah … I’m now of the opinion that if they can replace Glenn, then any and all of the members are replaceable. The precedent has now been set and this could keep going for who knows how long. As long as there is still milk in the proverbial cash cow, it really doesn’t matter much who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. If we are right about this, all I can say is WHAT A FREAKIN’ SHAME to reduce the legacy of America's greatest band to this. :cuss:

Gramsgirl63
01-10-2018, 03:09 AM
As I do on occasion, I went over to the Eagles official site out of curiosity earlier today. At the top of the banner, in a font so small that I didn’t even notice it at a first and even second glance, it reads ‘Glenn Frey 1948 -2016’. So that’s what we have left of the founding member and leader of the band for over 45 years. Of course, underneath the banner is a nice large picture of the new band with said leader’s replacements, and below that, in font about 2/3’s larger than said leader’s acknowledgement is the announcement of the new tour.

I swear it literally turned my stomach when I saw it. I started thinking back to the beginning of this thread when some members kept warning us about how much we were overreacting – after all they were only doing two shows that would be wonderful opportunities to pay proper tribute to Glenn that he so deserved … and it’s not like they were replacing him in the band – everyone knew he could never be replaced for goodness sake ... and therefore, it really didn’t matter what they called themselves … yadda yadda yadda. All I can say is what a difference a year (or maybe it’s 9 months) makes.

I also remember some discussions on the board back several years ago around the time that a few shows had to be canceled due to Don’s and Tim’s health issues when I proclaimed on several occasions that if any of the four remaining member were unable to continue, then I truly believed the band would call it quits. Wow! – How foolish and naïve was I ??? OOPS! So, at this point, yeah … I’m now of the opinion that if they can replace Glenn, then any and all of the members are replaceable. The precedent has now been set and this could keep going for who knows how long. As long as there is still milk in the proverbial cash cow, it really doesn’t matter much who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. If we are right about this, all I can say is WHAT A FREAKIN’ SHAME to reduce the legacy of America's greatest band to this. :cuss:

I am pretty sure I saw a video somewhere of Timothy talking, about how some older bands continue with hardly any of the original members left, and how he would not want to be a part of that.

I agree with you. Glenn can't be replaced. No disrespect intended towards Glenn's son or Vince but when I think of the Eagles, it's Glenn's face that comes to mind first. He is missed.:weep:

WalshFan88
01-10-2018, 04:34 AM
As long as there is still milk in the proverbial cash cow, it really doesn’t matter much who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. If we are right about this, all I can say is WHAT A FREAKIN’ SHAME to reduce the legacy of America's greatest band to this. :cuss:

I think that's exactly the way it is now. Again, just keep the cash cow on life support/replacement members. That seems to be their mindset at this point.

It is a big shame and it disgusts me to no end. Talk about going out with a whimper instead of a bang. If that isn't it, I don't know what is. It is just wrong.

New Kid In Town
01-10-2018, 01:42 PM

I swear it literally turned my stomach when I saw it. I started thinking back to the beginning of this thread when some members kept warning us about how much we were overreacting – after all they were only doing two shows that would be wonderful opportunities to pay proper tribute to Glenn that he so deserved … and it’s not like they were replacing him in the band – everyone knew he could never be replaced for goodness sake ... and therefore, it really didn’t matter what they called themselves … yadda yadda yadda. All I can say is what a difference a year (or maybe it’s 9 months) makes.

Dreamer - Could not have said it better myself. I think Don and to a lesser extent, Irving, are quite happy calling the shots now. No one to contend with or disagree/argue with. According to my FB page, they just announced more cities yesterday. This could keep going a long time as long as they stay healthy.

I agree with others that the title of the thread is confusing, especially for new members. Perhaps it should be changed so people know what it is about.

Freypower
01-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Thank you, Dreamer.

longtimeeaglesfan
01-10-2018, 07:33 PM
I do note that on the announcements of the two additional concerts that it says, "The Eagles – Don Henley, Joe Walsh & Timothy B. Schmit, with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey"

There is a "with" added in there which would indicate that to me that the "Eagles" consist of only Henley, Walsh & Schmit. However I do get that several people don't consider those three performing together to be "Eagles" either.

The banner (Glenn Frey 1948-2016) that is at the very top of the page does take you to what I think is a very fitting page recognizing Glenn's passing.

It seems reasonable for a band to pause or postpone dates when a key member is sick or otherwise unavailable as presumably the planned concert(s) have been planned with that member's contributions worked into the setlist. The band postponed the Kennedy Center honors for that reason.

It seems there are many organizations, bands included, that carry on without their founding members, after they are no longer with us.

I would have thought that there may be some sort of discussion between Glenn and his family, if not other members of the band, what he would like to have happen in the event of his death. Because of his family's support and son's participation in this lineup, it would indicate to me that Glenn would be okay with this. I'm pretty sure he has indicated at times that he saw the Eagles as a business and that the money played an important factor.

I don't expect my comments to change any minds and I'm sure that these points have been made in this thread by others already, but I respectfully am on the side that thinks what they are doing is fine and that their legacy is in no way diminished.

Freypower
01-10-2018, 08:06 PM
And right on cue, here we go again.

For a start I don't buy the 'Glenn was OK with it because his son...etc'. We don't know that, and in any case, as I have said ad nauseam, even if he was OK with it, that doesn't make it right. Not to me.

Reducing a rock band to the same as any business that exists only to make money is not a good analogy. This is not the same as (e.g.) Apple continuing after the death of Steve Jobs. This is about a particular mix of personalities whose business was performing their songs. What is being said here is that it apparently doesn't matter WHO performs the songs, as long as the songs are performed. The previous situation where events were postponed is sadly no longer relevant.

As for money, please. These guys are rich beyond the comprehension of anyone on this board. They do not need the money.

WalshFan88
01-10-2018, 08:37 PM
And right on cue, here we go again.

For a start I don't buy the 'Glenn was OK with it because his son...etc'. We don't know that, and in any case, as I have said ad nauseam, even if he was OK with it, that doesn't make it right. Not to me.

Reducing a rock band to the same as any business that exists only to make money is not a good analogy. This is not the same as (e.g.) Apple continuing after the death of Steve Jobs. This is about a particular mix of personalities whose business was performing their songs. What is being said here is that it apparently doesn't matter WHO performs the songs, as long as the songs are performed. The previous situation where events were postponed is sadly no longer relevant.

As for money, please. These guys are rich beyond the comprehension of anyone on this board. They do not need the money.

I couldn't agree more FP.

I reallllllly doubt that Glenn would have wanted them to continue but even if he did, I still feel it's very wrong to do so. It doesn't change my mind one iota.

It's music, and for my money's worth - Glenn was the heart of the Eagles. You can't just rip it out and expect all of us to go along as if nothing ever happened.

The banner on the official site is pathetic, quite frankly. If that's all they can muster then I certainly don't feel bad at all for feeling the way I do. If people want to overlook that, then they can enjoy the concerts and those left from the band and good for them and if they like it, more to them. But I just can't. And there is nothing wrong with that, and from the looks of it I'm not the only one.

Dawn
01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
The Eagles documentary enabled them to embark on a long and very arduous tour which I gotta believe was hard on everyone but especially Glenn Frey. Indeed, according to Bob Seger who saw Glenn not long afterwards, Glenn was "worn out".

The real shame is while the HOTE tour made them all a boatload of money it did not come without a price.

Dawn
01-11-2018, 11:42 AM
As for the remaining members embarking on another big tour is anyone really surprised? Personally I knew after they added more dates following the Classics that was the goal. They will continue as long as they can. That's where the money is. I fully expect a commercialized tribute to Glenn Frey will also happen whether it's a live concert, a DVD or record. It's all about capitalizing on the Eagles brand.

Dawn
01-11-2018, 01:53 PM
I couldn't agree more FP.

I reallllllly doubt that Glenn would have wanted them to continue but even if he did, I still feel it's very wrong to do so. It doesn't change my mind one iota.

It's music, and for my money's worth - Glenn was the heart of the Eagles. You can't just rip it out and expect all of us to go along as if nothing ever happened.

The banner on the official site is pathetic, quite frankly. If that's all they can muster then I certainly don't feel bad at all for feeling the way I do. If people want to overlook that, then they can enjoy the concerts and those left from the band and good for them and if they like it, more to them. But I just can't. And there is nothing wrong with that, and from the looks of it I'm not the only one.

Very true!

Re the music: Personally, I was completely underwhelmed by Vince Gill and really don't get why he was hired as a touring member other than to take the pressure off Deacon who simply can't be expected to fill in on all his dad's lead vocals. That's #1. Number 2 - Vince Gill and his long time country music industry/fans connection plus availability to commit to *30 to 40 or more concerts a year was most likely a valuable consideration. Unsure about their ability to continue to command premium ticket prices may have also been a factor in the decision to add Vince Gill to the lineup indefinitly. I just don't care for the way the band sounds at all.

* looks like they are currently at or very near 40 concerts scheduled for 2018

Freypower
01-11-2018, 04:33 PM
As for the remaining members embarking on another big tour is anyone really surprised? Personally I knew after they added more dates following the Classics that was the goal. They will continue as long as they can. That's where the money is. I fully expect a commercialized tribute to Glenn Frey will also happen whether it's a live concert, a DVD or record. It's all about capitalizing on the Eagles brand.

I completely disagree that there will be a tribute.

After all, as far as these people seem to be concerned Glenn Frey is no longer relevant to them. If they had wanted to do a tribute they would have done so before now.

Glenn was 'worn out' when I last saw him in March 2015. It's sad, but it's a fact.

01-11-2018, 05:31 PM
I do note that on the announcements of the two additional concerts that it says, "The Eagles – Don Henley, Joe Walsh & Timothy B. Schmit, with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey"

There is a "with" added in there which would indicate that to me that the "Eagles" consist of only Henley, Walsh & Schmit. However I do get that several people don't consider those three performing together to be "Eagles" either.

The banner (Glenn Frey 1948-2016) that is at the very top of the page does take you to what I think is a very fitting page recognizing Glenn's passing.

ltef – I get what you are saying and words do matter. I realize it may seem petty to some that I’m bitching about font sizes and pictures. However, I am an instructional web designer, so I know that images often form perceptions even more than words. I make a living thinking about what first impressions will be made when someone visits a web page. So, yes, smaller font size indicates that you are minimizing the importance of something. And the picture with Vince and Deacon included lends more weight than the words. A photo on the band’s official website implies that these are the official members. That is why you never saw an official band photo that included Steuart Smith or Scott Crago for example.

Thanks for pointing out that there was a link in Glenn’s acknowledgement – you are right … I didn’t notice it. Again, that only makes me feel worse because I know lots of effective design techniques that can be used to call attention to these kinds of things. I went back and clicked on the link and it takes you to what was the ‘landing’ page for the site after Glenn’s death – when you went to the site, that is the first page you saw before you went into the official site. Personally, I would have preferred that they had kept it that way, but, if they wanted to subordinate it, as I said, it could have been done a lot more effectively than what exists now.

It seems there are many organizations, bands included, that carry on without their founding members, after they are no longer with us.

I would have thought that there may be some sort of discussion between Glenn and his family, if not other members of the band, what he would like to have happen in the event of his death. Because of his family's support and son's participation in this lineup, it would indicate to me that Glenn would be okay with this. I'm pretty sure he has indicated at times that he saw the Eagles as a business and that the money played an important factor.

I don't expect my comments to change any minds and I'm sure that these points have been made in this thread by others already, but I respectfully am on the side that thinks what they are doing is fine and that their legacy is in no way diminished.

I would have also guessed that Glenn may have expressed his feelings about this too, especially to Cindy. However, I don’t think we can make any assumptions. The only mentions I’ve seen are two statements that Don has made. (I think both to the L.A. Times on two different occasions, but I’m not positive.)

Bringing Deacon in was my idea,” Henley said. “I think of the guild system, which in both Eastern and Western cultures is a centuries-old tradition of the father passing down the trade to his son, and to me, that makes perfect moral and ethical sense. The primary thing is I think Glenn would be good with it — with both of these guys. I think he’d go, ‘That’s the perfect way to do this.’ ”

“People want to hear these songs played live, by the band that recorded them – and not by a tribute band." Henley said. “God knows there are enough of those. And even though it’s not exactly the same band – they want to hear the songs. I think we’re doing it in a highly ethical manner that I think Glenn would approve of.”

So, in both statements, Don says that he thinks Glenn would approve. That tells me he doesn’t know – and I would also think that if Cindy knew what Glenn’s feelings were on the matter, that she would have shared them with Irving and the band. I also noticed that, in both statements, Don asserts what is the ‘ethical’ way of going forward. If he knew Glenn would have approved, he could just say so, and wouldn’t need to offer any other justifications.

Based on many of Glenn’s actions and statements over the years, I tend to believe he would not have wanted the band to continue without him. This has already been discussed here, as well as in the Eagles 3.0 thread, so I’m trying not to rehash the same arguments that have been repeated over and over. However, the truth is we will probably never know for sure what Glenn would have wanted. Having said that, I have no doubt that he would be very proud of his son no matter how he felt about the band carrying on.

So, you are right in that no one's minds have been changed, and I respectfully disagree that this is all just fine and the band’s legacy is not being diminished. I thought it was interesting that Don acknowledged in the second statement that “it’s not exactly the same band”. As I said in my earlier post, I think the precedent has now been set and that this could slowly evolve into the ‘Eagles’ without any former members as long as there is money to be made. If family blood is all it takes to make it ethical and moral, then all of the members, both past and present, have plenty of heirs that can fill that bill. And finally, just for the record, any criticisms that I make about the future direction of the band would also extend to the Frey family since they are, apparently, on board with the decisions that have been made. However, of course, I wish Deacon nothing but the best and hope he has a bright future ahead of him.

groupie2686
01-11-2018, 05:37 PM

After all, as far as these people seem to be concerned Glenn Frey is no longer relevant to them. If they had wanted to do a tribute they would have done so before now.

Glenn was 'worn out' when I last saw him in March 2015. It's sad, but it's a fact.

I agree that they're not going to do a tribute. They would have done something by now if they were. They are capitalizing on the "brand" fine without it. I'd like to see a tribute song from Henley, Joe, & Timothy, like the remaining members of Queen did for Freddie Mercury, but I'm not holding my breath that this will ever happen.

I was not fortunate enough to see them live when Glenn was alive (and would not do so now), but I've seen pictures from the HOTE tour and he looked worn out...it just breaks my heart to see it. To me, this current incarnation is not the Eagles. That ended in January 2016.

01-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Re the music: Personally, I was completely underwhelmed by Vince Gill and really don't get why he was hired as a touring member other than to take the pressure off Deacon who simply can't be expected to fill in on all his dad's lead vocals. That's #1. Number 2 - Vince Gill and his long time country music industry/fans connection plus availability to commit to *30 to 40 or more concerts a year was most likely a valuable consideration.

Vince has always been a huge Eagles fan himself and, as one of the most influential artists in Nashville, has been lobbying to get the Eagles inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame for quite a few years now. This has been somewhat controversial with resistance from some of the more traditional country music artists and fans. Although, I'm sure it's not the only reason, it may be one factor in why he was asked to join the band. It may lend a little more credibility to the argument that they belong in the HOF.

peneumbra
01-11-2018, 06:34 PM
I have been reading the numerous postings in this thread, and…

What I get is that people are:

1. Sad that the band has, with the death of Glenn Frey, ceased to be the Eagles.

2. Angry that the surviving members have decided to continue despite No. 1.

And I get both sides of this. For me, the Eagles stopped being the Eagles after Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner left, but then, I'm old and deranged, so…

I don't know what Frey would've said about the current situation, but it might be helpful to remember that there are lots of reasons - some obvious, some not so obvious - why performers decide to retire, or continue on with their public careers.

One of the obvious reasons is money. Not that the survivors aren't well-off, but I haven't seen Henley's or Walsh's tax returns, and who knows where they might be financially. I will tell you candidly that I've known other artists who you'd think would have all the money in the world, and… nope. Which is why they will HAVE to keep touring till they die. Again , I'm not saying that's the case with these guys, but it happens more than you'd think.

Another thing is ego, or at least a form of it. Once somebody has been in the Big Time, performing in front of thousands of cheering, ecstatic fans, it's hard to turn your back on it. Even I'm familiar with it: when I go onstage to announce a band or even to hand someone his guitar, I get a huge rush looking out at those thousands of people, waiting, excited, intense…

And that feeling goes both ways. You feel it out there in the dark, sharing the moment with all the other fans; the performers feel it times a thousand when the stage lights come up and they are, for the moment, the center of the universe.

If anyone asked me (and nobody did), I say, go see the shows, don't worry about what the group calls itself, and enjoy it for what it is. Performance is precious and fleeting, but memories last forever.

8)

01-11-2018, 06:46 PM
peneumbra - I appreciate your sentiments, but with all due respect, this discussion has been going on for almost a year and all these arguments have already been made over and over again.

I will respond to one of your main points here, but truly have no interest in rehashing this all again. If you are truly interested, I would suggest you read through the thread, as well as the original Eagles 3.0 thread. You don't have to read them in their entirety to get the gist of the discussion. The bottom line is no one is saying these guys should not continue to perform and, yes, they have every right to make money. But, they have an unlimited number of options available to them for performing without continuing the band as 'Eagles' without Glenn Frey. End of story!

peneumbra
01-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Yes, I've read through the postings and your point is well taken.

One possible reason for the use of the name "Eagles" is that promoters would likely offer much less in guarantee for, say, "Henley/Walsh/Schmitt" or something like that.

Another has to do with ownership of the name "Eagles." If it can be shown that the trademark holder has abandoned it, someone else could possibly use it for their own gain. This has happened in the music business before.

Anyway, sorry to prolong this whole thing. C'mon, let's go have a beer!

(You wouldn't mind buying, would you? I'm tapped out…)8)

Freypower
01-11-2018, 07:21 PM

One possible reason for the use of the name "Eagles" is that promoters would likely offer much less in guarantee for, say, "Henley/Walsh/Schmitt" or something like that.

Another has to do with ownership of the name "Eagles." If it can be shown that the trademark holder has abandoned it, someone else could possibly use it for their own gain. This has happened in the music business before.

It goes without saying that the word 'Eagles' means more than 'Henley Walsh & Schmit'. That is not the point. They apparently could not accept that their price has fallen without that particular name. So they decided to cling on to it, legitimate or not.

As for ownership, how could they 'abandon' the name? If anyone else tried to use it they would be sued until they bled. Do you seriously believe that a band calling itself 'Beatles' would have lasted more than five minutes? The trademark & whatever is already protected.

01-11-2018, 07:31 PM

Yep - I'm sure that's true. They chose the most lucrative option. Both sides of this issue is debated many times throughout this thread and the aforementioned Eagles 3.0 thread.

I'm sure there is some validity in what you say here. However, there must be some legal protection against this. Otherwise, I'm certain we would have seen another version of The Beatles by now.

Sure - I'll be glad to spring for a beer, especially since I won't be spending as much money on concerts now. Look me up if you ever come through Central Virginia. :wink: :grin:

ETA: I guess Freypower and I were posting at the same time. Funny how The Beatles were the first to come to both of our minds.

WalshFan88
01-11-2018, 08:18 PM
For me personally, I just wish people would quit buying tickets. :lol:

No tickey's = no shows, and we can put this baby to bed. The sooner they stop the better I'll feel. It still won't change the fact it has tarnished the legacy, but it won't be ongoing anymore and I'll have a little respite with that. That's just me.

Unfortunately there will always be the casual fans that are not aware of what went down, and the more hardcore fans that still want to go/don't see it the same way/don't care, so it might take awhile. But I really look forward to that day.

I don't mean that to say I have anything against those going, more to them, but if they sold no tickets, this would come to a screeching halt a whole lot sooner.

WalshFan88
01-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Sure - I'll be glad to spring for a beer, especially since I won't be spending as much money on concerts now. Look me up if you ever come through Central Virginia. :wink: :grin:

:rofl:

Thanks for the laugh Dreamer. :D

peneumbra
01-11-2018, 08:56 PM
You'd think that nobody would rip off a band's name and use it, BUT ---

Remember the Fleetwood Mac - Bob Welch debacle? Welch was a (sort of) member of Fleetwood Mac; when they stopped touring, he (Welch) got together a bunch of musicians and toured as… Fleetwood Mac!

Yeah, there was a lawsuit (several), but one basic legal truth is that suing somebody who has no discoverable assets is essentially pointless.

And, Dreamer, I'll be over at your house tomorrow, say… six p.m.?

sodascouts
01-11-2018, 09:08 PM
That's not what happened. It was their manager who created a "fake" Fleetwood Mac, and it wasn't really a comparable situation at all. Welch was actually still in Fleetwood Mac - the real one - when that occurred. Here's the story:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fleetwood-mac-flak-manager-takes-name-not-members-on-tour-19740228

PS I wouldn't call him a sort-of member either. He wasn't there a long time, but he made strong contributions like "Sentimental Lady" to the catalog. He was the real deal.

peneumbra
01-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Thanks for straightening this out. It wasn't a very pleasant picture...8)

01-11-2018, 11:33 PM
:rofl:

Thanks for the laugh Dreamer. :D

Much obliged, WF! :thumbsup:

And, Dreamer, I'll be over at your house tomorrow, say… six p.m.?

Well, now … no offense, but I’m afraid I can’t invite a complete stranger over to my house. As a respectable Southern Belle, I prefer to keep this proper – I’ll meet you at Bubba’s Bar. :cheers:

Dawn
01-12-2018, 12:54 AM

While I agree two years is plenty of time for Azoff, Henley and others to do a tribute for Glenn Frey I am hopeful his family will step up to the plate and ultimately make it happen. I note musician friends of Tom Petty certainly didn't waste any time and in fact, have actually done two tribute concerts already.

Touring is hard work even with his considerable resources and the best amenities and conveniences money can buy. I really believe Glenn Frey was likely in need of some serious R&R when the HOTE tour finally ended in late July 2015. When you consider it was only a few months afterwards he was hospitalized first in LA then later in NYC it seems clear focusing on his health needs would have been a top priority and it saddens me to know when you last saw him in March 2015 he would be gone in less than a year.

Houston Baby
01-12-2018, 08:59 PM
All of these changes in 2 short years.

Actually though, these 2 short years seem so long.....

I have not posted any of my feelings here because it just makes me sad. All of my longtime EAGLES buddies know how I feel about the guys continuing, it just does not make sense to me.
Mainly because I agree with GA..... "The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn. It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it."

Since Glenn's passing, I have been to the guys' solo shows - Timothy twice, Joe once and Don once at his Runaway Tour and then his birthday concert. Loved all of their solo concerts and will continue to support their solo efforts. However I cannot make myself go to one of the band's concerts. It was hard enough when Timothy and Joe were on stage with Don at his birthday concert. I cannot imagine how I would feel seeing Vince or Deacon singing Glenn's leads. It would be too sad for me.

But as others have said, we are all different and have our own reasons for going/not going. I have found this thread interesting in reading the discussion. And I feel the purpose of the thread is to express our feelings, no criticism or judgement needed.

I was texting a friend earlier and we were both reminiscing about how excited we would all get when EAGLES concert dates were announced. We would be texting and calling each other on what cities & dates would work for us. The craziness we went thru getting good seats. The overtime I would have to work in order to buy the VIP packages. :laugh: Those were such AMAZING times!!! So much fun!

And for those who are going to these next concerts, I hope you have as much fun! Enjoy every moment, life is precious!

Reading back over this post, I am even more sad. I think I will need to join Dreamer and peneumbra for a beer. :cheers:

sodascouts
01-16-2018, 05:03 PM
I split the thread and retitled this one. The title is a bit clumsy, I'll admit, but it was hard to come up with a concise one.

I kept it in "Tour Talk" because this is a touring band until they record something under the moniker "Eagles"... which I pray they never will.

Freypower
01-19-2018, 12:05 AM
Rolling Stone has put their Oral History of Glenn up to mark the anniversary. I thought I would paste this quote from J.D. Souther:

Souther (on the future of the Eagles): They're done. They're not going to go back out without Glenn, absolutely not. I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/glenn-frey-an-oral-history-20160128

Dawn
01-19-2018, 01:04 AM
FP, I remember reading JD's thoughts on the fate of the band after Glenn's passing and I am so glad you found and posted the source. Thank you. As far as I'm concerned, JD got it right.

sodascouts
01-19-2018, 01:37 AM
Another quote from that article:
Felder (on Frey declining to participate in the Eagles' ill-fated attempt at a reunion album in 1990): "I think Glenn felt he should have been in control of saying when and where and how it was going to happen. I think that really upset him a lot that we were in the studio recording without him. It was only done that way because we were being told Glenn was coming in a couple of days and we were led to believe that was OK and Glenn knew what was going on. We finally got some letter or phone call saying, 'If you don't stop, you know, he's going to take legal action,' or something like that. We were like, 'Wow, OK. Let's stop. We're not going to do this without Glenn.' We did. We stopped without him."

While Felder's comment was obviously from a different circumstance, it still speaks to the fact that Glenn felt the Eagles weren't legitimate without him.... and I agree.

New Kid In Town
01-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Amen to both of those quotes. I have often thought of that JD statement and wondered how he feels about this new version of the band. And, that's saying a lot from JD considering he was better friends with Don than Glenn at that time in their lives when Glenn passed.

Dawn
01-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Felder (on Frey declining to participate in the Eagles' ill-fated attempt at a reunion album in 1990): "I think Glenn felt he should have been in control of saying when and where and how it was going to happen. I think that really upset him a lot that we were in the studio recording without him. It was only done that way because we were being told Glenn was coming in a couple of days and we were led to believe that was OK and Glenn knew what was going on. We finally got some letter or phone call saying, 'If you don't stop, you know, he's going to take legal action,' or something like that. We were like, 'Wow, OK. Let's stop. We're not going to do this without Glenn.' We did. We stopped without him."

While Felder's comment was obviously from a different circumstance, it still speaks to the fact that Glenn felt the Eagles weren't legitimate without him.... and I agree.

This.

Dawn
01-19-2018, 06:25 PM
Amen to both of those quotes. I have often thought of that JD statement and wondered how he feels about this new version of the band. And, that's saying a lot from JD considering he was better friends with Don than Glenn at that time in their lives when Glenn passed.

Like Bernie Leadon, the silence speaks volumes to me.

sodascouts
01-19-2018, 08:41 PM
Let's not forget that Felder has spoken out against it as well (although admittedly he was hardly Glenn's advocate when Glenn was alive).

Do we have a comment from Randy on it?

New Kid In Town
01-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Let's not forget that Felder has spoken out against it as well (although admittedly he was hardly Glenn's advocate when Glenn was alive).

Do we have a comment from Randy on it?

Not as far as I know. But, he was at Classic West, was apparently invited back stage, and Don sent him a shout out in the audience during the show. I don't think Randy would want to cause any problems or bad feelings at this stage in his life. And, I can't blame him, the poor guy has been through so much the last few years.

sodascouts
01-19-2018, 09:50 PM
Not as far as I know. But, he was at Classic West, was apparently invited back stage, and Don sent him a shout out in the audience during the show. I don't think Randy would want to cause any problems or bad feelings at this stage in his life. And, I can't blame him, the poor guy has been through so much the last few years.

Good point.

longtimeeaglesfan
01-22-2018, 01:46 PM
FP, I remember reading JD's thoughts on the fate of the band after Glenn's passing and I am so glad you found and posted the source. Thank you. As far as I'm concerned, JD got it right.

One thing different from Leadon and Felder is that JD has participated in the Sirius XM "Hotel California" channel which was set up to provide Sirius XM listeners a chance to hear Eagles 3.0 perform at the Grand Ole Opry. I'm not saying this says he does or doesn't approve of the current lineup, but he didn't refuse participation in the channel because of it.

He said at the time nearer Glenn's death regarding an Eagles resumption that " I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right." Perhaps he, like Henley, feels now that the way they did do it is all right.

groupie2686
01-22-2018, 02:36 PM

I agree with you, soda. While this was a different circumstance, I believe Glenn felt there should be no Eagles without him. Another example of this happening was when he had his intestinal surgery in 1994 during the HFO tour and concerts were rescheduled until he recovered - they didn't continue without him or bring in someone else to fill in, as other bands do if a band member is sick.

As for JD Souther's participation in the Sirius channel, I've wondered if this means he has changed his opinion. I've also wondered if the lack of participation from Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt, and the lack of any comment on what they think of the eagles continuing, means they don't approve.

Dawn
01-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Unlike Henley, JD does not profit from singing a different tune ... at least not to the tune of booking over 50 Eagles concerts on tour for 2017-2018.

Freypower
01-22-2018, 05:27 PM
One thing different from Leadon and Felder is that JD has participated in the Sirius XM "Hotel California" channel which was set up to provide Sirius XM listeners a chance to hear Eagles 3.0 perform at the Grand Ole Opry. I'm not saying this says he does or doesn't approve of the current lineup, but he didn't refuse participation in the channel because of it.

He said at the time nearer Glenn's death regarding an Eagles resumption that " I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right." Perhaps he, like Henley, feels now that the way they did do it is all right.

I posted Souther's quote. See my post on the previous page. I was not trying to envisage how he now feels about it. If he has changed his mind, that's his right, but the statement was made & it deserved to be remembered... just as Don Henley's & Irving Azoff's statements quoted at the start of the thread should be remembered.

As for the radio channel I can only assume Souther was asked to participate because of his involvement with the band as it was.

sodascouts
01-22-2018, 10:13 PM
The Eagles radio channel may play some songs from live performances by the faux Eagles but for the most part, it celebrates the real deal.

At any rate, in the absence of Souther actually saying he's changed his mind, logic dictates that we assume he hasn't.

01-24-2018, 05:24 PM
The Eagles radio channel may play some songs from live performances by the faux Eagles but for the most part, it celebrates the real deal.

At any rate, in the absence of Souther actually saying he's changed his mind, logic dictates that we assume he hasn't.

I would tend to agree with this, although there are plenty of folks who seem to have changed their mind about this with no explanation. Just because, I guess. :shrug: :headscratch:

All of these changes in 2 short years.

Actually though, these 2 short years seem so long.....

I have not posted any of my feelings here because it just makes me sad. All of my longtime EAGLES buddies know how I feel about the guys continuing, it just does not make sense to me.
Mainly because I agree with GA..... "The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn. It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it."

Since Glenn's passing, I have been to the guys' solo shows - Timothy twice, Joe once and Don once at his Runaway Tour and then his birthday concert. Loved all of their solo concerts and will continue to support their solo efforts. However I cannot make myself go to one of the band's concerts. It was hard enough when Timothy and Joe were on stage with Don at his birthday concert. I cannot imagine how I would feel seeing Vince or Deacon singing Glenn's leads. It would be too sad for me.

But as others have said, we are all different and have our own reasons for going/not going. I have found this thread interesting in reading the discussion. And I feel the purpose of the thread is to express our feelings, no criticism or judgement needed.

I was texting a friend earlier and we were both reminiscing about how excited we would all get when EAGLES concert dates were announced. We would be texting and calling each other on what cities & dates would work for us. The craziness we went thru getting good seats. The overtime I would have to work in order to buy the VIP packages. :laugh: Those were such AMAZING times!!! So much fun!

And for those who are going to these next concerts, I hope you have as much fun! Enjoy every moment, life is precious!

Reading back over this post, I am even more sad. I think I will need to join Dreamer and peneumbra for a beer. :cheers:
And I loved your post, HB. I very much remember the days of all the scrambling for tickets madness whenever new shows were announced. It was crazy and I'm so grateful for all those shows I was able to see. It makes me happy and sad at the same time whenever I think about it. And, I'll be glad to have a beer with you anytime. :wink: :grin:

Houston Baby
01-24-2018, 08:04 PM
I very much remember the days of all the scrambling for tickets madness whenever new shows were announced. It was crazy and I'm so grateful for all those shows I was able to see. And, I'll be glad to have a beer with you anytime. :wink: :grin:

We did spend a lot of time on the phone sorting out the logistics of it all. :grin:
I know you agree, it was TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

Hopefully we can get together this year for that beer! :cheers:

Dawn
01-25-2018, 03:17 PM
I sure miss the early years when it was as simple as checking the ride share board at my college campus for transportation to an Eagles concert (or any other band/artist) and buying tickets at our local record store. Once I got my own car I preferred to do the driving although it was a bit cramped trying to fit 6 people into a VW :rofl:

Dawn
01-28-2018, 04:05 AM
Very interesting and enlightening 1992 interview with Glenn Frey who reveals his thoughts and feelings on the band getting back together ... or not.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkbWG5RPYG8

New Kid In Town
01-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Very interesting and enlightening 1992 interview with Glenn Frey who reveals his thoughts and feelings on the band getting back together ... or not.

Dawn - Thanks for posting that. I had read a print interview from that time which pretty much said the same thing as this interview. I was trying to remember - it's been so long ago. Glenn talks about touring Europe that summer. I don't remember him touring much for Strange Weather, which I think was probably his best album, IMHO.

New Kid In Town
01-28-2018, 10:36 AM
I sure miss the early years when it was as simple as checking the ride share board at my college campus for transportation to an Eagles concert (or any other band/artist) and buying tickets at our local record store. Once I got my own car I preferred to do the driving although it was a bit cramped trying to fit 6 people into a VW :rofl:

I fondly remember those days too. I remember going to concerts with friends and cramming six people in my then GF mustang. Sometimes I wish there were still record stores near me where I could buy concert tickets. It seemed easier than dealing with TM and sitting at a computer trying to get good seats.

sodascouts
01-28-2018, 11:20 AM

This is particularly devastating to the logic that has been proffered for continuing the Eagles without Glenn:

He says "I'm not the kind of person that wants to keep an 18-year-old kid in Holland from seeing the Eagles 'cause he's never seen them but he likes our music - I felt there was definitely was a need - people wanted us there. "

Sounds familiar. So why did he still say no? Because he explains that alone wasn't enough. He wanted them to work together, to write together, to be a real band. "It had to be legitimate." Why wasn't it legitimate? "The sad truth of the matter was Don Henley and I could not get together artistically and personally."

He wraps it up with the most damning statement of all: "It appeared to me that, except for the money, there wasn't much there for me."

Amen, Glenn. So says a man with integrity.

New Kid In Town
01-28-2018, 12:00 PM
This is particularly devastating to the logic that has been proffered for continuing the Eagles without Glenn:

He says "I'm not the kind of person that wants to keep an 18-year-old kid in Holland from seeing the Eagles 'cause he's never seen them but he likes our music - I felt there was definitely was a need - people wanted us there. "

Sounds familiar. So why did he still say no? Because he explains that alone wasn't enough. He wanted them to work together, to write together, to be a real band. "It had to be legitimate." Why wasn't it legitimate? "The sad truth of the matter was Don Henley and I could not get together artistically and personally."

He wraps it up with the most damning statement of all: "It appeared to me that, except for the money, there wasn't much there for me."

Amen Soda, and as Glenn said, that about clocks it.

01-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the link Dawn. While I was revisiting that interview, I saw a link to another 1992 Swedish one that is similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bmu61NjPJo

One of my favorite lines from this one is when he says he learned that there was a lot more to life than making records. He also says everyone said he was a lot nicer when he moved to Colorado. lol And I loved what he said about the importance of the privileged giving something back.

And Soda :applause: to you for that last post. You nailed it.

And it made me think of this statement from Don to the L.A. Times last year that I posted recently. The contrast is stark and reminds me of why this comment gets under my skin so much everytime I read it ...

People want to hear these songs played live, by the band that recorded them – and not by a tribute band." Henley said. “God knows there are enough of those. And even though it’s not exactly the same band – they want to hear the songs. I think we’re doing it in a highly ethical manner that I think Glenn would approve of.

Don's claim that the current version of the band is the band that recorded these songs even though it's not exactly the same is just simply absurd. I always believed that the claim of legitimacy was valid with the two original members who wrote and sang most of the band's popular and successful songs. This current version includes only one member that recorded 2/3's of the band's catalog and current set list. Really Don - this is your idea of what legitimate and ethical means ???

WalshFan88
01-28-2018, 06:21 PM
There is no way Glenn would have wanted them to go on without him. What's going on now is NOT legitimate. I'm a big believer in doing something right or not doing it at all. These half@ss attempts people put out now are really irritating to me. Give it your all with the best you can offer, or don't do it. Don't just put something mediocre together out of desperation or what-have-you. Either do it right or don't bother. It drives me nuts how many don't give their all but yet except the same respect, recognition, and frankly, reward ($$$$) for doing the least amount they can get away with. Soda says it best - integrity. And ethics.

Those interviews with Glenn say it all, really. It's just wrong.

Dawn
01-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Dreamer, love the Swedish interview, I watched it earlier and agree with Glenn about the importance of having variety in one's life. He loved making records but had discovered there is more to life and was not afraid to "wade in" and try new things (eg acting). As always Glenn's good natured humor shines through and I literally cracked up when he talked about how cutting his hair allowed him to infilterate a few better parties!

Vintage Glenn, bless his heart.

Dawn
01-28-2018, 07:50 PM
There is no way Glenn would have wanted them to go on without him. What's going on now is NOT legitimate. I'm a big believer in doing something right or not doing it at all. These half@ss attempts people put out now are really irritating to me. Give it your all with the best you can offer, or don't do it. Don't just put something mediocre together out of desperation or what-have-you. Either do it right or don't bother. It drives me nuts how many don't give their all but yet except the same respect, recognition, and frankly, reward ($$$$) for doing the least amount they can get away with. Soda says it best - integrity. And ethics.

Those interviews with Glenn say it all, really. It's just wrong.

I could not agree more.

Dawn
01-28-2018, 09:29 PM

So true.

sodascouts
01-29-2018, 01:42 AM
And it made me think of this statement from Don to the L.A. Times last year that I posted recently. The contrast is stark and reminds me of why this comment gets under my skin so much everytime I read it ...

Don Henley: "People want to hear these songs played live, by the band that recorded them – and not by a tribute band." Henley said. “God knows there are enough of those. And even though it’s not exactly the same band – they want to hear the songs. I think we’re doing it in a highly ethical manner that I think Glenn would approve of."
Don's claim that the current version of the band is the band that recorded these songs even though it's not exactly the same is just simply absurd. I always believed that the claim of legitimacy was valid with the two original members who wrote and sang most of the band's popular and successful songs. This current version includes only one member that recorded 2/3's of the band's catalog and current set list. Really Don - this is your idea of what legitimate and ethical means ???

Yep - as I've said, this is "Three guys who used to be Eagles playing with Glenn's son, Vince Gill, and a dozen supporting players to fill in all the holes." Vince Gill sang on "Common Thread: A Tribute to the Eagles" and now that's what's touring. They're their own tribute band.

chaim
01-29-2018, 07:00 AM
Off-topic, but...I'd never seen that interview before. I've always loved Glenn's way of laughing at himself. That bit about capitalizing on the global warming - and that people feel better about it if they buy this Glenn Frey album - was ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS.

Brooke
01-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Well, and there you have it! That pretty much says it all as for Glenn's opinion back then.

I guess he did finally change his mind though....

Thanks for that, Dawn!

BillBailey1976
01-30-2018, 08:50 AM
It seems there was a total about face from Glenn between 1992 and 1994.
He talked about the possible 1990 resumption, and mentioned that all there was for him was the money there. Did the money become enough in 1994?
Did something happen in his life to change his mind?
He mentioned that him and Henley had to get together and write 3 new songs to go into a repackaged Greatest Hits collection. This didn't happen, only 1 song, on HFO.
I would be very interested to see if there are any interviews or a progression of interviews where he is changing his mind.

Also, this has got things rattling around in my head, and I don't know if it's ever been discussed.
Why are there no Glenn Frey interviews on the HFO DVD? Was Glenn waffling even then on getting back together?

Glennsallnighter
01-30-2018, 08:53 AM
I would tend to agree with this, although there are plenty of folks who seem to have changed their mind about this with no explanation. Just because, I guess. :shrug: :headscratch:

And I loved your post, HB. I very much remember the days of all the scrambling for tickets madness whenever new shows were announced. It was crazy and I'm so grateful for all those shows I was able to see. It makes me happy and sad at the same time whenever I think about it. And, I'll be glad to have a beer with you anytime. :wink: :grin:

I loved those days too and trying to liaise with my Border friends through a 5 hr or more time difference. It was fun, exciting, adrenaline pumping.... I miss it now :crying:. Glenn :heart: made the difference.

Glennsallnighter
01-30-2018, 08:55 AM
He talked about the possible 1990 resumption, and mentioned that all there was for him was the money there. Did the money become enough in 1994?
He mentioned that him and Henley had to get together and write 3 new songs to go into a repackaged Greatest Hits collection. This didn't happen, only 1 song, on HFO.
I would be very interested to see if there are any interviews or a progression of interviews where he is changing his mind.

Also, this has got things rattling around in my head, and I don't know if it's ever been discussed.
Why are there no Glenn Frey interviews on the HFO DVD? Was Glenn waffling even then on getting back together?

He was ill when the HFO dvd was being made, he had collapsed on stage one night

New Kid In Town
01-30-2018, 09:27 AM

Hi BB -Glenn was not in the HFO video because he was recovering from Diverticulitis surgery. The surgery was in I believe Sept. 1994, and the video was released in appx. November 1994.

Dawn
01-30-2018, 10:41 AM
I can only speculate but in my own experience, illness can and has had an impact on decisions I have made, including both personal and professional. I would imagine this is true of anyone coping with short and long term illness and/or disease. For me it was a "sit up and pay attention" kind of wake up call. Do we know when Glenn was diagnosed with RA? RA tends to come on suddenly and can be quite painful unless/until the inflammation gets under control which can take awhile depending upon the kind of medication and treatment and even then, adverse reactions and flare ups are always a concern.

BillBailey1976
01-30-2018, 11:04 AM
[/B]

Hi BB -Glenn was not in the HFO video because he was recovering from Diverticulitis surgery. The surgery was in I believe Sept. 1994, and the video was released in appx. November 1994.

oh ok. thanks. I didn't know that. I know that he had some issues with diverticulitis....(have to say, I'm not totally sorry about the timing of one of his bouts either...they were playing Knoxville, and it was sold out. Due to Glenn's illness and 2 rescheduling some tickets were refunded, and I was able to go :) )

New Kid In Town
01-30-2018, 11:12 AM
I can only speculate but in my own experience, illness can and has had an impact on decisions I have made, including both personal and professional. I would imagine this is true of anyone coping with short and long term illness and/or disease. For me it was a "sit up and pay attention" kind of wake up call. Do we know when Glenn was diagnosed with RA? RA tends to come on suddenly and can be quite painful unless/until the inflammation gets under control which can take awhile depending upon the kind of medication and treatment and even then, adverse reactions and flare ups are always a concern.

When Glenn passed, Irving said he had the RA for at least 15 years. I read some place he may have been diagnosed in the late 90's. But, I am not sure.

groupie2686
01-30-2018, 11:42 AM

I thought I read he collapsed in a hotel room...on stage, omg....poor Glenn.

I think I read somewhere that he was diagnosed with RA in 2000, but I don't know if that is when he was actually diagnosed or just when it was made public.

BillBailey1976
01-30-2018, 12:04 PM
[/B]

I wonder though, would those interviews have been done that close to the release of the video, or more closely aligned with the actual event, which was in April.
It just seems like, even with surgery and recovery, they could have carved out 30 minutes for him to sit down and talk about it at some point. Even if it meant delaying the release. It was his band.

Dawn
01-30-2018, 12:06 PM
When Glenn passed, Irving said he had the RA for at least 15 years. I read some place he may have been diagnosed in the late 90's. But, I am not sure.

15 years would be around 2000-2001 or late 90's as you suggest. All things considered, RA on top of other serious health concerns like the kind of digestive issues Glenn apparently struggled with IS a lot to deal with. Glenn was a warrior.

BillBailey1976
01-30-2018, 12:10 PM
15 years would be around 2000-2001 or late 90's as you suggest. All things considered, RA on top of other serious health concerns like the kind of digestive issues Glenn apparently struggled with IS a lot to deal with. Glenn was a warrior.

And these guys weren't doing hour long shows....they were up there playing their hearts out for nearly 3 hours per night. Warrior indeed.

01-30-2018, 12:12 PM
I loved those days too and trying to liaise with my Border friends through a 5 hr or more time difference. It was fun, exciting, adrenaline pumping.... I miss it now :crying:. Glenn :heart: made the difference.

I know! :grouphug:

And BB I think part of what changed Glenn's mind between '92 - '94 was that he felt the personal relationships were in a much better place, particularly after the Travis Tritt Take It Easy video shoot and the committment from Joe to get sober. He and Don had managed to get together to write 'Get Over It' and they have both said how excited they were about that. I imagine at the time, they intended to do more and. in fact, eventually did write several more songs together. Glenn never said money wasn't a factor - it clearly was. But it wasn't the only factor for him. In '92, he said "except for the money" there wasn't much there for him.

BillBailey1976
01-30-2018, 01:50 PM
I know! :grouphug:

And BB I think part of what changed Glenn's mind between '92 - '94 was that he felt the personal relationships were in a much better place, particularly after the Travis Tritt Take It Easy video shoot and the committment from Joe to get sober. He and Don had managed to get together to write 'Get Over It' and they have both said how excited they were about that. I imagine at the time, they intended to do more and. in fact, eventually did write several more songs together. Glenn never said money wasn't a factor - it clearly was. But it wasn't the only factor for him. In '92, he said "except for the money" there wasn't much there for him.

I had forgot about the video. You are probably right. That may have been that initial catalyst. And in fact, I think I remember them saying that during that shoot they remembered the good times, and that they were friends first.
So yeah...that probably took it beyond the payday for him at that point. Back to a "is the magic still there?" moment.
I remember Felder talking in his book about how on tour they all pretty much stayed isolated. I think that, more than anything hurt the song writing.
If there had been more time just hanging out together, and more time intentionally writing, they probably could have done more...but from everything I've seen, it appears they were all a bit on egg shells, knowing the whole thing could come crashing back down with one big blowup.

Dawn
01-30-2018, 04:46 PM
My takeaway is Glenn cared alot about touring behind new material whether it was a song, a DVD, an album or a documentary and his family provided alot of comfort, stability and support which he clearly needed and appreciated. That being said I can't help but wish he had cut the last tour in half.

Freypower
01-30-2018, 06:03 PM

He collapsed when they were leaving the stage in Philadelphia.

If you read Bob Seger's recent statements he says he was the one pushing Glenn to do the reunion, saying he would have fun doing it.

He was my oldest friend in music. I met him in 1966, and we recorded "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" that year. We were just a couple of knuckleheads starting out – he was from Royal Oak [Michigan], and I was from Detroit. He was such a positive influence in my life. We'd always call each other for advice. I pushed him to do that Eagles reunion [in 1994]. He was the only one that didn't want to do it for years. I said to him, "I think you'd have fun."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/bob-seger-talks-about-his-health-scare-new-album-w514860

But the whole HFO thing, where he sang three songs, could perhaps suggest that he still wasn't entirely convinced about it until they actually started touring again. I don't know this. But to this day as a Frey fan it was one of my biggest disappointments to see them reunited & his role being so downplayed.

01-30-2018, 10:31 PM
Glenn had told Irving that anything was possible in the 90’s so he had, obviously, been considering a reunion and was keeping an open mind about it even after he backed out in 1990. After the TIE video shoot in December, 1993, Irving moved swiftly. Once Glenn came on board in February ’94, I don’t think Irving wasted a second in inking the deal to ensure there was no change of heart this time around. Things moved so quickly that the taping of the MTV shows was scheduled for April. Poor Joe pretty much walked out of rehab right on to the rehearsal stage. So, my guess is that if Joe’s rehab had failed, the band would have still been contractually obligated at that point to do the MTV shows with or without him. Thank goodness it worked. Given their history, it is actually quite amazing that the band was able to come up with 4 new songs for the taping, including the Henley/Frey co-write.

Initially, the HFO tour was kind of a trial or as Glenn put it, they decided that they could go out and “blitz” a few baseball stadiums over the summer. The tour was extended, had to be postponed due to Glenn’s surgery, but then resumed in early 1995. (Incidently, I believe that the reason Glenn wasn't interviewed for the HFO video was probably because there was a deadline on completing it and he was too ill at the time.) The band was never into writing songs while touring and by the time the tour ended, Don, and later Joe, were busy getting married and starting families. After about 1996, they took a long break from touring to decide where they would go from there. There was still tension and things were at an impasse with recording new material, and, of course, the issues with Felder. They did perform the Millennium shows, but I think Glenn was, again, at the point where he was unwilling to continue the band with Felder and without new music. After Felder was dismissed, they ended up resuming for the Millennium and Farewell I tours and although it took several years, they recorded a double album of all new original material. Glenn told us at Pebble Beach in 2007 that band morale was at an ‘all-time high’ and joked that he could give us 6 million reasons why (6M = # of LROOE albums sold). So although I’m sure things didn’t always go as smooth as silk, and they took things one year at a time, the band remained pretty functional through the end of the HOTE tour.

Wow – please pardon me for getting carried away. I just realized that I unintentionally wrote a HOTE, Part II recap. :shock:

But, in any event, I went through all of this for the purpose of showing that Glenn actually remained fairly consistent about his feelings as far as I can tell. The larger question that I would like answered is what happened between 2016 and 2017 to cause such a total about face with Irving, Don, Joe, and Tim? I’m sure if you scroll though the discussions in threads on this board after Glenn’s death, you’ll find that the overwhelming assumption by both the band and fans alike was that the Eagles were over.

(And OBTW - that is a rhetorical question and I'm not really looking for answers. I think I know what most folks posting this thread would say. :wink:)

New Kid In Town
01-31-2018, 12:52 AM
Dreamer - That pretty much sums it all up.
Dawn - I too think things might have been different if the History tour was cut short. I think those May to July concerts took a lot out of Glenn. Bob talked about how exhausted Glenn looked when he saw him in July.

Freypower
01-31-2018, 01:00 AM
What caused the about face?

If you look at the 3.0 thread a lot of the supporters were saying that when they made the statements about how they would not continue they were 'in shock' or 'grieving', so when their 'grieving' ceased it was quite OK for them to turn around and say 'well that's done with, let's continue' or however you wish to phrase it. Nothing is true any more; people just change their minds without any concern for consequences or perceptions.

New Kid In Town
01-31-2018, 01:16 AM
What caused the about face?

If you look at the 3.0 thread a lot of the supporters were saying that when they made the statements about how they would not continue they were 'in shock' or 'grieving', so when their 'grieving' ceased it was quite OK for them to turn around and say 'well that's done with, let's continue' or however you wish to phrase it. Nothing is true any more; people just change their minds without any concern for consequences or perceptions.

FP - Last year, in either February or March Tim gave an interview(Tim and the press thread I think) that I remember being shocked by when I read it. IMHO, it sounded cold and very matter-of-fact. I remember posting about how shocked I was. That's why I personally believe they had been planning on continuing as far back as Sept.2016. But, with Don and Joe touring and Tim working on his album it could not come together until March 2017. Also, I feel they wanted to wait until the one year anniv. of Glenn's death passed.

Dawn
01-31-2018, 02:07 AM
FP - Last year, in either February or March Tim gave an interview(Tim and the press thread I think) that I remember being shocked by when I read it. IMHO, it sounded cold and very matter-of-fact. I remember posting about how shocked I was. That's why I personally believe they had been planning on continuing as far back as Sept.2016. But, with Don and Joe touring and Tim working on his album it could not come together until March 2017. Also, I feel they wanted to wait until the one year anniv. of Glenn's death passed.

Yes, I do remember how shocked you were. I also question when the discussions began about reforming and hiring Vince Gill and Deacon Frey in order to capitalize on co-headlining Azoff's Classic East West concerts. The concerts happened in summer 2017.

BillBailey1976
01-31-2018, 07:50 AM
He collapsed when they were leaving the stage in Philadelphia.

If you read Bob Seger's recent statements he says he was the one pushing Glenn to do the reunion, saying he would have fun doing it.

He was my oldest friend in music. I met him in 1966, and we recorded "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" that year. We were just a couple of knuckleheads starting out – he was from Royal Oak [Michigan], and I was from Detroit. He was such a positive influence in my life. We'd always call each other for advice. I pushed him to do that Eagles reunion [in 1994]. He was the only one that didn't want to do it for years. I said to him, "I think you'd have fun."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/bob-seger-talks-about-his-health-scare-new-album-w514860

But the whole HFO thing, where he sang three songs, could perhaps suggest that he still wasn't entirely convinced about it until they actually started touring again. I don't know this. But to this day as a Frey fan it was one of my biggest disappointments to see them reunited & his role being so downplayed.

But, he really did sing more than 3 songs though. He actually sang 6 songs. We know that from the 2nd night bootleg. The big question is why he had 3 of his cut from the video. Who made that decision? That's the real question. It looks like the set was fairly close to the sets they'd perform in live concerts, with some notable exceptions being a lot of the solo stuff.
The thing that's really puzzling to me is why does Glenn get 3 or 6 depending on how you view the set (DVD vs. Actual), and Don get to do 2 solo songs? I understand it somewhat in concert. You are filling out a 2 1/2 hour set list. But in this controlled DVD setting, why not add a couple more Glenn songs? Already Gone, and Peaceful Easy Feeling would have fit in great. PEF in the first part on the stools, and AG in the last few around LITFL.

Dawn
01-31-2018, 01:32 PM
CoreStates Spectrum, Philadelphia Setlist
September 16, 1994

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/1994/corestates-spectrum-philadelphia-pa-4bdd6bca.html

Dawn
01-31-2018, 01:36 PM
Setlist for March 6, 1995. Note: This concert replaced the September 17, 1994 concert that was cancelled due to Glenn's illness.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/1995/corestates-spectrum-philadelphia-pa-13dbd50d.html

Looks like they took out Silent Spring (a Glenn Frey song) from Set 2

Archive of LA Times news article announcing cancellation of HFO tour

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=348&dat=19941004&id=i2ZMAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cTMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3861,1039001&hl=en

groupie2686
01-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Setlist for March 6, 1995. Note: This concert replaced the September 17, 1994 concert that was cancelled due to Glenn's illness.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/1995/corestates-spectrum-philadelphia-pa-13dbd50d.html

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=348&dat=19941004&id=i2ZMAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cTMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3861,1039001&hl=en

Thanks for posting, Dawn. The setlists were interesting..I thought Silent Spring was an instrumental? Also..Get Over It in the encore...interesting...I have the 1995 Christchurch bootleg and they were no longer doing the song.

I have the HFO 2nd night bootleg. I've wondered too why half of Glenn's songs were omitted from the DVD and official CD. I'm sure this was Glenn's decision; perhaps he didn't feel, for whatever reason, that the performances were good enough. I've also wondered why The Heart of the Matter was not on the official CD, their harmonies are gorgeous.

I've thought about their cancellation and rescheduling of concerts when Glenn had his surgery in 1994, and to me, this suggests Glenn would not have wanted them to continue without him. Many bands have someone else fill in if a band member is sick or unable to attend. They didn't, and I doubt any of them would have even suggested it. Glenn certainly wouldn't have permitted it if they had.

groupie2686
01-31-2018, 02:42 PM
Yes, I do remember how shocked you were. I also question when the discussions began about reforming and hiring Vince Gill and Deacon Frey in order to capitalize on co-headlining Azoff's Classic East West concerts. The concerts happened in summer 2017.

I was also shocked at reading Tim's interview that New Kid was referring to. I have a feeling that discussions began when Deacon performed at the private memorial service they had back in February 2016, and it gave Henley and/or Irving the idea.

New Kid In Town
01-31-2018, 02:51 PM

I was at that March 6th concert at the Spectrum in Philly ! They had no opening band and played for nearly three hours. I remember Glenn singing a lot that night. It was a great show. We(my friends and I) paid $75.00 for our tickets which were the seconds highest price(the highest was $100). If I remember right, Glenn thanked the crowd for their understanding for the Sept. show being cancelled. we had an awesome time !

Dawn
01-31-2018, 03:05 PM
I was at that March 6th concert at the Spectrum in Philly ! They had no opening band and played for nearly three hours. I remember Glenn singing a lot that night. It was a great show. We(my friends and I) paid $75.00 for our tickets which were the seconds highest price(the highest was $100). If I remember right, Glenn thanked the crowd for their understanding for the Sept. show being cancelled. we had an awesome time !

Wow!! Thanks NKIT!

Freypower
01-31-2018, 06:08 PM
But, he really did sing more than 3 songs though. He actually sang 6 songs. We know that from the 2nd night bootleg. The big question is why he had 3 of his cut from the video. Who made that decision? That's the real question. It looks like the set was fairly close to the sets they'd perform in live concerts, with some notable exceptions being a lot of the solo stuff.
The thing that's really puzzling to me is why does Glenn get 3 or 6 depending on how you view the set (DVD vs. Actual), and Don get to do 2 solo songs? I understand it somewhat in concert. You are filling out a 2 1/2 hour set list. But in this controlled DVD setting, why not add a couple more Glenn songs? Already Gone, and Peaceful Easy Feeling would have fit in great. PEF in the first part on the stools, and AG in the last few around LITFL.

I'm sorry but given that three of Glenn's songs were cut from the DVD I can't look at them as part of it, when they are not available.

The excuse for the Henley solo songs was that he was the big solo star & therefore more people would have been more familiar with his work. At least that is what I presume; it was never explained. But, as has been said on this board many times, they also performed some band songs in which Henley was utterly dominant - Wasted TIme, Desperado & most notoriously The Last Resort during which the rest of the band may as well have left the stage.

If it was Glenn who insisted that some of the songs he did be dropped while Don was pushed forward to the point of absurdity, it is yet another example of how Glenn put the 'band' ahead of himself. His altruism & selflessness was one of the most admirable parts of his character, something which his detractors consistently ignore. Don, on the other hand, is never criticised for his prominence in the HFO DVD. People seem to take it as read that he's the star. Couldn't he have been uneasy at it? Couldn't he have said 'hey, Glenn, man, this is the Eagles. Don't you think you deserve a bit more screen time'? He may have done, of course. Who am I to assume he didn't.

The HFO tour at least corrected the balance. It was the only tour when Glenn did two solo songs - SB as well as YBTTC. This eventually dwindled to none, of course. To be fair there were no Henley solo songs in HOTE either. But Walsh songs... God yes. On & on they went (that is how I felt; I am well aware that many people saw those songs as crowd pleasers).

And now what have we got: Because now there is no Glenn at all, the others think it's OK to go on without him, just having others sing his songs, because it doesn't matter. And the point is, with sad irony, perhaps he paved the way for this himself.

groupie2686
02-01-2018, 11:14 AM
I'm sorry but given that three of Glenn's songs were cut from the DVD I can't look at them as part of it, when they are not available.

The excuse for the Henley solo songs was that he was the big solo star & therefore more people would have been more familiar with his work. At least that is what I presume; it was never explained. But, as has been said on this board many times, they also performed some band songs in which Henley was utterly dominant - Wasted TIme, Desperado & most notoriously The Last Resort during which the rest of the band may as well have left the stage.

If it was Glenn who insisted that some of the songs he did be dropped while Don was pushed forward to the point of absurdity, it is yet another example of how Glenn put the 'band' ahead of himself. His altruism & selflessness was one of the most admirable parts of his character, something which his detractors consistently ignore. Don, on the other hand, is never criticised for his prominence in the HFO DVD. People seem to take it as read that he's the star. Couldn't he have been uneasy at it? Couldn't he have said 'hey, Glenn, man, this is the Eagles. Don't you think you deserve a bit more screen time'? He may have done, of course. Who am I to assume he didn't.

The HFO tour at least corrected the balance. It was the only tour when Glenn did two solo songs - SB as well as YBTTC. This eventually dwindled to none, of course. To be fair there were no Henley solo songs in HOTE either. But Walsh songs... God yes. On & on they went (that is how I felt; I am well aware that many people saw those songs as crowd pleasers).

And now what have we got: Because now there is no Glenn at all, the others think it's OK to go on without him, just having others sing his songs, because it doesn't matter. And the point is, with sad irony, perhaps he paved the way for this himself.

I agree with you, I think Glenn sadly paved the way for this himself. He stepped back so much to let Henley take center stage that now many people think they can continue without him. It greatly upset me when, after he died, other famous musicians who died in 2016 (David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, to name a few) were front page stories and Glenn got a brief mention, if he was mentioned at all. (This actually still upsets me).

Of course we'll never know, but somehow I don't think Henley suggested to Glenn that he get more screen time in HFO. I could be totally wrong, of course, that is just my feeling about it. The Last Resort seemed like an odd choice to include to me - the rest of the band is practically offstage for half of it, Glenn is even sitting down in the back for a while.

BillBailey1976
02-01-2018, 02:19 PM
If I were the HFO decision maker, here's how my set list would have came down. Holding to the number of songs in the original:
1. Hotel California
2. Lyin Eyes
3. The Heart of the Matter
4. Love Will Keep Us Alive
5. Learn to Be Still
6. Pretty Maids All In a Row
7. Wasted Time
8. I Can't Tell You Why
9. The Girl From Yesterday
10. Desperado
11. New Kid In Town
12. Life In The Fast Lane
13. Heartache Tonight
14. In The City
15. Already Gone
16. Get Over It
17. Take It Easy

Dawn
03-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Glenn was the leader of the band. Everyone knew this, including Henley. What amazes me is Glenn Frey had very high standards and pushed himself as hard as he pushed others .. perhaps even harder ... to ensure the band met or exceeded his expectations and/or demands. Putting on a quality concert and giving fans what they came to see & hear mattered alot to Glenn. On a personal note, I can say each and every time I ever saw him in concert Glenn Frey connected with the audience in ways that left no doubt in my mind how much he respected and appreciated the fans. In the end, I think Glenn gave his all because he would have it no other way.

redstorm1968
03-13-2018, 10:17 AM
That being said, I was surprised to hear that they're doing a full-blown tour, teaming up with Jimmy Buffet, no less. Buffet has a huge fanbase, but his stuff all sounds the same to me. I just never understood the love for Buffet, I guess. This combination seems weird to me.

Sorry to go off topic but I totally agree with this. "Come Monday" Is my favorite song that he does and the rest? Meh.

PS I agree that "ghost harmonies" was a poor choice of words and I can see why it's upsetting, but I also had no idea that it was a widely used term. That makes it sting just a little less, IMO. I am not in the "should have quit" camp but I have complete sympathy for those who are hurting. I totally get it and I'm genuinely sorry that it is causing you guys so much pain. Now I will go back to my lurking.

redstorm1968
03-13-2018, 12:30 PM
A question for those of you who are opposed to the "Eagles" name being used for this current iteration of the band: If Felder, Leadon, or, by some miracle, Meisner, rejoined them for the 2018 tour, would you still feel like they shouldn't call themselves the Eagles? Are the "Eagles" Henley/Frey only (cannot be Eagles without Glenn Frey), or would having a higher percentage of the "classic lineup" make it more acceptable?

Genuinely curious, no judging.

You just described my dream scenario. LOL

03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Sorry to go off topic but I totally agree with this. "Come Monday" Is my favorite song that he does and the rest? Meh.

PS I agree that "ghost harmonies" was a poor choice of words and I can see why it's upsetting, but I also had no idea that it was a widely used term. That makes it sting just a little less, IMO. I am not in the "should have quit" camp but I have complete sympathy for those who are hurting. I totally get it and I'm genuinely sorry that it is causing you guys so much pain. Now I will go back to my lurking.

Thanks for your understanding. These last couple years have not been the best of times for some Eagles fans, so, fortunately, we have this thread where we can come and vent if we feel the need to.

Dawn
03-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Jimmy Buffet is a long time Azoff client. Saw him almost 20 years ago and it was a fun show but never had any desire to see him since.

Freypower
03-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Here are a couple of comments which jarred from the Indianapolis review:

On Monday, Henley mentioned his former partner when introducing "Best of My Love" — the Eagles' first No. 1 hit back in 1974.
And that was it, aside from Deacon Frey, Glenn's son, giving a heartfelt introduction to "Peaceful Easy Feeling": "Here's one my dad used to sing."

reimagined and rejuvenated

the Glenn Frey era

https://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/03/13/opening-night-provides-5-reasons-eagles-tour-can-dominate-year-concerts/413318002/

Yeah, I get it. Glenn Frey is the past & so are his fans.

sodascouts
03-14-2018, 09:10 AM

On Monday, Henley mentioned his former partner when introducing "Best of My Love" — the Eagles' first No. 1 hit back in 1974.
And that was it, aside from Deacon Frey, Glenn's son, giving a heartfelt introduction to "Peaceful Easy Feeling": "Here's one my dad used to sing."

I'm on vacation now and haven't had much of a chance to post but ugh. I wonder if, now that they have realized they're marketable without Glenn, they regret bringing Deacon, the constant reminder of him?

I read in another thread Vince is doing a solo song. What an insult to Tim.

the Glenn Frey era

https://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/03/13/opening-night-provides-5-reasons-eagles-tour-can-dominate-year-concerts/413318002/

I'm not going to torture myself by reading any of these reviews.

New Kid In Town
03-14-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm on vacation now and haven't had much of a chance to post but ugh. I wonder if, now that they have realized they're marketable without Glenn, they regret bringing Deacon, the constant reminder of him?

I read in another thread Vince is doing a solo song. What an insult to Tim.

I'm not going to torture myself by reading any of these reviews.

I found it depressing the way Glenn has been marginalized as an after thought.

groupie2686
03-14-2018, 11:02 AM

the Glenn Frey era

Henley isn't even dedicating Desperado to Glenn anymore???

Reading posts in another thread on here made me think I understood where the other side was coming from, and then I read about the Indianapolis show, and I'm still mad. They may say they didn't replace him, but that's what they've done. If you look at the set list, more of Glenn's songs were done than they ever did when he was alive. It's like Henley has waited for years to have total control of the band and now he has his chance to do whatever he wants with it. Like Vince Gill doing Ol' 55, without Henley, even...just gets me steamed. Ol' 55 is one of my favorite Eagles songs, I love Glenn's vocal on it, it is just so wrong to have anyone else singing it. This whole thing is wrong.

When I was reading the review of the shows, New Kid in Town came on my pandora and this just rang true with me: "They will never forget you till somebody new comes along." Indeed.

UndertheWire
03-14-2018, 11:31 AM
It seems that Don is spreading the vocal load with Vince, Timothy and Deacon all getting an extra song. I can't blame him for that and I don't take it as Don getting it all his own way. It seems that rather taking on Glenn's load, he has been able to delegate. Bill Szymzcyk spoke about Joe having stepped up and taken on rehearsing the horns.

As for not trusting Don Henley's word, well, he is the man who said they'd reunite "When hell freezes over". I think he allows himself to change his mind and, on balance, I prefer that to someone who remains fixed on an idea no matter what.

03-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Yeah – I read a few things about the show and quite frankly felt nothing but sadness and disgust. The fact that they can't be bothered to dedicate a single song to Glenn is repulsive to me. But, I’m like Soda – I’m going to try not to dwell on most of the press about the shows – it just brings me down and there’s not a thing I can do about it. I’m going to focus on the Serenity Prayer, which is what I often fall back on when I need positivity in my life.

And UTW, I get what you are saying about people having the right to change their minds, and I agree with you up to a point. I totally believe people should be flexible and open-minded about lots of things. However, I also believe it is important to have a rigid belief system to live by. If you don’t hold true to some core values such as honesty, loyalty, authenticity, etc., you compromise your integrity. To me, there are varying degrees of evolving your views that are perfectly acceptable, but when you abandon basic guiding principles, you cross the line.

Rant over (for now)!

Dawn
03-14-2018, 01:46 PM

the Glenn Frey era

Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before the brand is completely repackaged. They (Henley, Tim and Joe) can't keep selling the Eagles as a nostalgia act without acknowledging their own vulnerability. I expect the band will test market different approaches to determine the future of the brand.

Reimagined. Rejuvenated. Repackaged.

groupie2686
03-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before the brand is completely repackaged. They (Henley, Tim and Joe) can't keep selling the Eagles as a nostalgia act without acknowledging their own vulnerability. I expect the band will test market different approaches to determine the future of the brand.

Reimagined. Rejuvenated. Repackaged.

I agree. But repackaged as what?? I feel that Deacon is there to bring in the nostalgia factor...especially with the long hair and sunglasses on his head (and it looks like he has a mustache now?), to remind the fans, and perhaps the band themselves, of a time when they were all young together.

This is all just so sad.

Dawn
03-14-2018, 03:48 PM
I agree. But repackaged as what?? I feel that Deacon is there to bring in the nostalgia factor...especially with the long hair and sunglasses on his head (and it looks like he has a mustache now?), to remind the fans, and perhaps the band themselves, of a time when they were all young together.

This is all just so sad.

Hi Groupie! I know, I feel sad too, it's impossible not to. My personal sense is IF the intent is to create (invent/rebrand/repackage) a TOURING band that can continue into the next decade they need to start building the foundation now.

I know I say it all the time but TOURING is where the money is. They have no new songs to work with it's still very much the tribute/nostalgia tour it's been for years.

Freypower
03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Henley isn't even dedicating Desperado to Glenn anymore???

Reading posts in another thread on here made me think I understood where the other side was coming from, and then I read about the Indianapolis show, and I'm still mad. They may say they didn't replace him, but that's what they've done. If you look at the set list, more of Glenn's songs were done than they ever did when he was alive. It's like Henley has waited for years to have total control of the band and now he has his chance to do whatever he wants with it. Like Vince Gill doing Ol' 55, without Henley, even...just gets me steamed. Ol' 55 is one of my favorite Eagles songs, I love Glenn's vocal on it, it is just so wrong to have anyone else singing it. This whole thing is wrong.

When I was reading the review of the shows, New Kid in Town came on my pandora and this just rang true with me: "They will never forget you till somebody new comes along." Indeed.

I thought the only additions were Ol '55 & How Long. All the others were played on the HOTE tour.

I feel I have to read a few of the reviews at least so I can judge the mood & how this thing is coming across. I suspect that won't last long; I will just stop even looking at them.

I don't know what this 'repackaging' stuff would include, but if it means Gill singing his songs & having other guest artists as AT suggested elsewhere, then it would be more of a revue than a credible rock show, and I would feel less resentful of it.

While I understand & applaud these men for wishing to move on, in my view they chose entirely the wrong method for doing it. That's all.

Dawn
03-14-2018, 10:13 PM
I thought the only additions were Ol '55 & How Long. All the others were played on the HOTE tour.

I feel I have to read a few of the reviews at least so I can judge the mood & how this thing is coming across. I suspect that won't last long; I will just stop even looking at them.

I don't know what this 'repackaging' stuff would include, but if it means Gill singing his songs & having other guest artists as AT suggested elsewhere, then it would be more of a revue than a credible rock show, and I would feel less resentful of it.

While I understand & applaud these men for wishing to move on, in my view they chose entirely the wrong method for doing it. That's all.

That's the thing. Everybody knows (or should know) Vince Gill is not an Eagle. He was hired specifically as an addition to perform and play on tour just like Deacon Frey was. How long before Vince Gill would want to sing one or more of his songs? Vince has a huge fanbase I would imagine that is part of the draw (ticket sales).

Something else to consider. Amy Grant. Vince's wife and a lovely, very talented, and popular country music artist in her own right. Would anyone really be surprised if she joined him on stage one night to sing one of their signature duet songs or even a song from the Eagles catalogue?

Freypower
03-14-2018, 10:38 PM
That's the thing. Everybody knows (or should know) Vince Gill is not an Eagle. He was hired specifically as an addition to perform and play on tour just like Deacon Frey was. How long before Vince Gill would want to sing one or more of his songs? Vince has a huge fanbase I would imagine that is part of the draw (ticket sales).

Something else to consider. Amy Grant. Vince's wife and a lovely, very talented, and popular country music artist in her own right. Would anyone really be surprised if she joined him on stage one night to sing one of their signature duet songs or even a song from the Eagles catalogue?

Perhaps you missed it or I have misunderstood you. He DID sing one of his own songs. Presumably he will continue to do so. I have no knowledge or opinion of his wife but like I said, if they want to dilute the thing even further, it would be more palatable, because the credibility, such as it is, would just continue to ebb away.

As far as Henley, Walsh & Schmit are concerned, VG & DF are Eagles, not additions, or why would they be in photos and take part in the bows at the end. In my view they are wrong, but that's the situation.

Dawn
03-15-2018, 12:46 AM
Perhaps you missed it or I have misunderstood you. He DID sing one of his own songs. Presumably he will continue to do so. I have no knowledge or opinion of his wife but like I said, if they want to dilute the thing even further, it would be more palatable, because the credibility, such as it is, would just continue to ebb away.

As far as Henley, Walsh & Schmit are concerned, VG & DF are Eagles, not additions, or why would they be in photos and take part in the bows at the end. In my view they are wrong, but that's the situation.

I'm sorry for the confusion FP -- I didn't express myself well. Yes, I know VG sang a song of his own last night and was more or less suggesting in light of his own super size fanbase and song catalog it isn't surprising he'd want to play and sing a song of his own. In fact, I think it's possible this may have been part of the equation from the beginning and that as the tour progresses they will add more of his songs.

Personally, I don't know if Vince Gill and Deacon Frey are considered "permanent" or temporary additions to the Eagles hired specifically to enable them to do the Classic concerts and this big 52 play-dates tour. Certainly they are featured prominently in concert promotional/publicity photos and of course are an integral part of the show from start to finish.

Absolutely agree how wrong this is.

WalshFan88
03-15-2018, 02:27 AM
I found it depressing the way Glenn has been marginalized as an after thought.

Me too, NKIT.

And supposedly VG is doing a solo song...sickening. And he's now playing the solo in TIE. Joe did a great job with that solo, took it and gave it some rock energy and got rid of the clean country thing Bernie did and I assume VG is doing. Ugh.

The reason Vince is playing his songs during the show is simply taking advantage of the size of the crowd. He may have some fans and played bigger places, but an Eagles show is going to be much larger than what he's used to and he's trying to now push his music onto Eagles listeners. At least with the guys' solo songs they were in the band and mostly liked by Eagles listeners of the classic era. SMH.

UndertheWire
03-15-2018, 09:25 AM
From what I've seen, no Eagles song was cut to make room for the Vince Gill song, so at worst it's an opportunity for a comfort break. I don't see it as a big deal.

I find it disappointing that the remaining band have still not performed a public tribute to Glenn and the limited spoken references to him in the shows seems inadequate. However, as long as they continue to sing his songs, he is being remembered.

sodascouts
03-15-2018, 09:57 AM
I see you don't have a problem with the shows, UTW. Do you believe that this is a legitimate venture, then?

UndertheWire
03-15-2018, 10:51 AM
I see you don't have a problem with the shows, UTW. Do you believe that this is a legitimate venture, then?
You are incorrect. I have deleted my longer explanation because I have been told it is inappropriate for this thread.

sodascouts
03-15-2018, 11:21 AM
I understand and respect your viewpoint, UTW. However, I think it belongs in another thread. I'll be happy to move your posts to the thread where people are debating the merits of the tour.

New Kid In Town
03-15-2018, 11:56 AM
A new photo of them came up on my FB page yesterday announcing more shows. Joe is sitting on a couch and the other are kinda around him. Sorry, but I don't know how to bring the photo here to post. :blush:
This whole thing just makes me so sad. Don must be in his glory now that he does not have to share decisions with anyone anymore. Glenn is now a mere afterthought.:sad::depressed:

UndertheWire
03-15-2018, 12:01 PM
If that's what you prefer. However, I was responding to comments made in this thread.

My long post was because I felt that you had inaccurately stated my position and I wanted to explain.

Dawn
03-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Hey guys, let's not make this more work for the moderators than it needs to be.

For posters who are supportive of the new lineup this is NOT the appropriate thread to express your thoughts and opinions.

If you are "neutral" or "undecided" on the question of whether this is a legitimate venture - this is NOT the appropriate thread to expresss your thoughts and opinions.

**** This thread is for fans who believe Glenn Frey is "necessary to the Eagles - No Glenn No Legit Eagles" and as such do not regard this as a legitimate venture ****

Period. End. Stop.

03-15-2018, 01:18 PM
I know all the different threads are confusing, UTW a.k.a. Pollyanna. :wink: But I think right now they are probably the best compromise we can come up with. Here's how I am thinking about it in order to keep it straight in my little brain ...

This thread is for those who disagree with this lineup/tour and just want to vent.

The tour threads are for those who are excited about the shows and just want to celebrate.

Then, last but not least, the 'How do you feel about this years full-fledged tour' thread is for those who want to debate the pros and cons of this lineup/tour.

Again, I know all this may seem pretty clumsy, but, at least for right now, it seems to be the best way to keep the peace. As much as we try, I can't think of anything that is going to make everyone happy, but we'll do the best we can.

Dawn
03-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Thanks Dreamer, I didn't mean to be a buttinski. 8)

Seems the thread gets hijacked on a fairly consistent basis by members who are either misguided or purposely trying to stir things up.

Dawn
03-15-2018, 01:36 PM
A new photo of them came up on my FB page yesterday announcing more shows. Joe is sitting on a couch and the other are kinda around him. Sorry, but I don't know how to bring the photo here to post. :blush:
This whole thing just makes me so sad. Don must be in his glory now that he does not have to share decisions with anyone anymore. Glenn is now a mere afterthought.:sad::depressed:

I found the picture and actually posted it but then had second thoughts - it's clearly a new publicity photo and prominently features Gill and Deacon as members of the band not temporary family and friends helping out. Let me know if you want me to post, it is your call.

groupie2686
03-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Hi Groupie! I know, I feel sad too, it's impossible not to. My personal sense is IF the intent is to create (invent/rebrand/repackage) a TOURING band that can continue into the next decade they need to start building the foundation now.

I know I say it all the time but TOURING is where the money is. They have no new songs to work with it's still very much the tribute/nostalgia tour it's been for years.

Hi Dawn! It saddens me that Glenn is now an afterthought, with no more significance than any other band members who were in the band for a while and now they're not (and please don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Bernie, Randy, and Felder, and think they all three contributed a lot to the success of the band). Perhaps I should just stop reading the reviews, it gets me too upset, but I'm curious, so I look, and get upset again..

I saw that picture too and it seems obvious that Deacon and VG are part of the band now. The picture seems to highlight Deacon front and center.

chaim
03-15-2018, 03:01 PM
I saw the new pic. It's a nice little picture of five guys, but combined with the word "Eagles" above it makes me sick.

Dawn
03-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Hi Dawn! It saddens me that Glenn is now an afterthought, with no more significance than any other band members who were in the band for a while and now they're not (and please don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Bernie, Randy, and Felder, and think they all three contributed a lot to the success of the band). Perhaps I should just stop reading the reviews, it gets me too upset, but I'm curious, so I look, and get upset again..

I saw that picture too and it seems obvious that Deacon and VG are part of the band now. The picture seems to highlight Deacon front and center.

Yes, relative to VG and DF, I got that distinct impression as well. I also believe Vince Gill will start singing and playing more of his OWN SONGS and that Deacon will remain front and center in publicity photos as a strategic selling point to attract younger fans.

sodascouts
03-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Just saw that Vince is singing the entire vocal of Ol 55. Don isn't even doing those few lines. One more cover version with the former Eagles backing him.

New Kid In Town
03-15-2018, 06:03 PM
I found the picture and actually posted it but then had second thoughts - it's clearly a new publicity photo and prominently features Gill and Deacon as members of the band not temporary family and friends helping out. Let me know if you want me to post, it is your call.

Hi Dawn, you can post the picture. Thank You.:-)

Dawn
03-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Hi Dawn, you can post the picture. Thank You.:-)

Hi NKIT ok, let me know if this isn't the one you had in mind.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29135946_1904715729600966_7384581405245030943_n.pn g?oh=afe15c57ca2e3714ecc0d2c101fd0a2b&oe=5B4209B7

New Kid In Town
03-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Hi NKIT ok, let me know if this isn't the one you had in mind.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29135946_1904715729600966_7384581405245030943_n.pn g?oh=afe15c57ca2e3714ecc0d2c101fd0a2b&oe=5B4209B7

Yep - that's it. Thanks again. I see Deacon is holding Old Black. Is it me or does Vince look more like a rocker than a country artist in this picture.

Freypower
03-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Schmit never used to pose in such a truculent, arms folded, manner before & Henley's body language is also very telling.

As this is the only place I can say so, I object very strongly to being labelled a 'hater' in another thread. I am not a 'hater'. I am someone who remembers the Eagles as they were, with Glenn Frey, not this excuse for them. I see people elsewhere saying they don't dare to post anything & so on. As far as I am concerned they can post all they like. Nobody is stopping them. They should realise however that there is another side to this.

And if even this is too inflammatory, I will delete it, but I repeat... I cannot stop this tour, and I cannot stop people who agree with it. I hope that's clear.

sodascouts
03-15-2018, 07:18 PM
People calling us haters of the Eagles are the people who want everyone unhappy with this to shut up. They're using name calling to try to make that happen.

I have reassured people repeatedly that they can post about the shows if they want. If they still say that they aren't able to, then what they are saying is that they will not feel able to post until there is no one who expresses discontent anywhere on the board. I'm sorry that they are uncomfortable, but frankly, I think they are being unreasonable by expecting others to be quiet so they can feel better about posting. Certainly, complaining will not help because it will only make others feel attacked.

sodascouts
03-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Yep - that's it. Thanks again. I see Deacon is holding Old Black. Is it me or does Vince look more like a rocker than a country artist in this picture.

Don's stance immediately reminded me of this:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesIE2008.jpg

Dawn
03-15-2018, 09:11 PM
RE: Hater Labeling

Well said there is absolutely NO reason why fans who want to see the band can not post about it nor share their enthusiasm with other like minded fans. They clearly know this. They also know or should know that no one is forcing them to stick around if they don't like the rules especially since several of them do post on other Eagles fan sites and social media sites (e.g. instagram, FB) across the Internet. Calling non supporters "haters" serves no purpose other than to make themselves look foolish for not having the good sense or grace to know when it's time to pick up their marbles and go home ... meaning find another social media or group to join whose rules they can abide by.

Dawn
03-15-2018, 09:30 PM
For those who may be wondering.

"I think we all simply wanted to return to the mothership," - Don Henley c. 2007

Dawn
03-15-2018, 09:53 PM
There is nothing wrong with the 3.0 thread or the need for it. What's wrong is some people apparently can't accept the fact there is a serious difference of opinion among fans on the legitimacy of this venture and actually think the 3.0 thread should not even exist anymore. Wow.

chaim
03-15-2018, 10:46 PM
I didn't know there's STILL a huge battle between "us and them". :woah:

sodascouts
03-15-2018, 10:53 PM
I didn't know there's STILL a huge battle between "us and them". :woah:

The term "huge battle" is a bit of an overstatement, but as you know there are still passionately "pro" and "con" camps; it is unsurprising that the start of the tour has opened up the old wounds for many and caused them to bleed afresh. Heightened tension is inevitable.

sodascouts
03-16-2018, 08:14 AM
RE: Hater Labeling

Well said there is absolutely NO reason why fans who want to see the band can not post about it nor share their enthusiasm with other like minded fans. They clearly know this. They also know or should know that no one is forcing them to stick around if they don't like the rules especially since several of them do post on other Eagles fan sites and social media sites (e.g. instagram, FB) across the Internet. Calling non supporters "haters" serves no purpose other than to make themselves look foolish for not having the good sense or grace to know when it's time to pick up their marbles and go home ... meaning find another social media or group to join whose rules they can abide by.

I personally don't want people to leave if there was no malicious intent or this was a simple misunderstanding. However, the hater label needs to stop.

Dawn
03-19-2018, 02:19 PM
This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6955)" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.

Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d406495b8ec7):
“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands (http://osecrobotics.com/bestclassicbands/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/) on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

Thank you Soda!

This is the first post, spells out the purpose for this thread. Thinking this is a good time to rewind the tape so to speak to refresh memories and clear up any misconceptions.

groupie2686
03-19-2018, 04:19 PM
There is a review of last night's show in St. Louis...it is statements like this

"Though bowed by the loss of Frey, the band is not broken and in some ways sounds better than ever."

and this

"Once again, the band has been transformed and rejuvenated, just as it was with the previous substitutions of Joe Walsh for Bernie Leadon, Timothy B. Schmit for Randy Meisner and sideman Steuart Smith for Don Felder."

that make me upset. Like it is just one more change in the line up. Substituting out one more band member. It reduces Glenn's significance to the same as other band members who came and went over the years - (and I think that Bernie, Randy, and Felder all deserve more credit than this article gives, too.).

Sorry if I'm reiterating what has already been said, I just had to vent. I should stop reading these things, but I'm curious, so I look, and then I get upset again.

The link to the article is below if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/reviews/unbreakable-the-eagles-sound-better-than-ever-at-scottrade-show/article_3356ab08-f861-5289-93e8-2f266dfdc719.html

chaim
03-19-2018, 04:58 PM
I hope the band members are embarrassed by some comments in these "great reviews" instead of basking in them.

New Kid In Town
03-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by sodascouts https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/vc/buttons//viewpost.gif (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=370129#post370129)
This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6955)" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.
Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d406495b8ec7):
“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands (http://osecrobotics.com/bestclassicbands/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/) on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMEN SODA ! As Glenn said - That about clocks it.

Chain - I don;t think Don cares or thinks about such things. If he did, he would never have moved forward with Eagles 3.0.

EDIT TO ADD : Sorry I was too lazy to go back and look for Soda's original post.

Freypower
03-19-2018, 06:32 PM
There is a review of last night's show in St. Louis...it is statements like this

"Though bowed by the loss of Frey, the band is not broken and in some ways sounds better than ever."

and this

"Once again, the band has been transformed and rejuvenated, just as it was with the previous substitutions of Joe Walsh for Bernie Leadon, Timothy B. Schmit for Randy Meisner and sideman Steuart Smith for Don Felder."

that make me upset. Like it is just one more change in the line up. Substituting out one more band member. It reduces Glenn's significance to the same as other band members who came and went over the years - (and I think that Bernie, Randy, and Felder all deserve more credit than this article gives, too.).

Sorry if I'm reiterating what has already been said, I just had to vent. I should stop reading these things, but I'm curious, so I look, and then I get upset again.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/reviews/unbreakable-the-eagles-sound-better-than-ever-at-scottrade-show/article_3356ab08-f861-5289-93e8-2f266dfdc719.html

I won't read it.

I think it's best to stay away from the triumphalism.

sodascouts
03-19-2018, 06:44 PM

and this

That's the problem. They don't think Glenn is any more important than any of the other former members... even Steuart Smith is considered just as important as Glenn! Disgusting.

New Kid In Town
03-19-2018, 06:58 PM
That's the problem. They don't think Glenn is any more important than any of the other former members... even Steuart Smith is considered just as important as Glenn! Disgusting.

That breaks my heart. :sad::depressed::mad:

UndertheWire
03-19-2018, 07:09 PM
It's just ignorance.

Freypower
03-19-2018, 07:28 PM
It's just ignorance.

Perhaps. But it will become more & more prevalent the longer this farce continues.

Dawn
03-19-2018, 07:47 PM
Early in the Eagles’ concert Sunday night at Scottrade Center, Don Henley toted up the mass of materieland personnel required to make the show happen.

“We brought 14 semi-tractor-trailer trucks full of stuff, four backup musicians, five string players, five horn players, four security guys, 82 crew members …. and one accountant,” he said.

Sorry, but obviously one accountant is enough to get the job done or surely they'd add more. :roll:

Edited to add

It seems Henley made this remark to the audience. I suppose it got a good laugh.

Dawn
03-19-2018, 09:30 PM
The writer's opinion is just that, an opinion. The real take away for me is how much time and money has been invested in this venture. Curious how they compare to other arena size touring groups.

This list is not complete. There are the private jets, private rental SUVs and limos, catering, hotels, etc. in addition to payroll and personnel, tour buses equipment, security etc.

As for Glenn, well there is no pretending.

Freypower
03-19-2018, 09:45 PM
The writer's opinion is just that, an opinion. The real take away for me is how much time and money has been invested in this venture. Curious how they compare to other arena size touring groups.

This list is not complete. There are the private jets, private rental SUVs and limos, catering, hotels, etc. in addition to payroll and personnel, equipment, security etc.

That's as may be & is to be expected. What jars with me is the fact that Henley felt this was a suitable subject to discuss with the audience. Glenn never did that. He talked to the audience about what they could expect from a show. He never once boasted about the size of the entourage.

As for the review & others like it, as a non-American I have noted for years how easy American reviewers are. They seem extremely easy to please. Australian reviewers don't let acts off so lightly or gush the way some American reviewers seem to do.

Dawn
03-19-2018, 09:51 PM
That's as may be & is to be expected. What jars with me is the fact that Henley felt this was a suitable subject to discuss with the audience. Glenn never did that. He talked to the audience about what they could expect from a show. He never once boasted about the size of the entourage.

As for the review & others like it, as a non-American I have noted for years how easy American reviewers are. They seem extremely easy to please. Australian reviewers don't let acts off so lightly or gush the way some American reviewers seem to do.

Writer seems to be suggesting the comment was aimed at cynics. If that's the case, how telling he (Henley) feels the need to even go there.

chaim
03-20-2018, 03:43 AM
I saw Don's comment as just a joke (leading to the punchline "one accountant"), not boasting, but I can't say what he had in mind.

UndertheWire
03-20-2018, 07:48 AM
I was amused. I can picture Don having spent a dull afternoon with the tour accountant having all the incidental expenses explained. The tour accountant is important because he/she pays the bills and collects the box office.

longtimeeaglesfan
03-20-2018, 09:54 AM
I was amused. I can picture Don having spent a dull afternoon with the tour accountant having all the incidental expenses explained. The tour accountant is important because he/she pays the bills and collects the box office.

I thought the accountant paid for it all. At least that's what Joe said.

groupie2686
03-20-2018, 10:12 AM
I thought the accountant paid for it all. At least that's what Joe said.

LOL!

Henley's remark could have been tongue-in-cheek...perhaps he (or Irving or their employees) have read the criticism that this tour is a money grab and his remark was aimed at that.

03-20-2018, 11:59 AM
This is a straight-up lie. Before Take it Easy every night, Glenn talked about the hundred-plus crew members who made the show possible. When discussing them last night, Don said the crew members were "the people who do the real work."

I know you're off in the merry world of non-facts and that I and the truth are not welcome here, but there needs to be some oversight from time to time.

Hey everyone - Please do us a favor and ignore this post. The oversight of the board is the responsibility of the moderators and admin. We will take care of this later when we get a chance.