PDA

View Full Version : For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

New Kid In Town
06-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Well said BB and A ... for me there was never any question the guys should have taken their last bow at the Grammy tribute.

Ditto - me too. And, well said Austin and BB.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-11-2018, 01:07 PM
... for me there was never any question the guys should have taken their last bow at the Grammy tribute.

Amen to everyone here! For me, this quote from Dawn is the bottom line, too. As I've said before - in the words of Kenny Rogers ... "you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".

Glennsallnighter
06-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Maybe retirement brings their own mortality closer to mind than they'd like.
You know, if we can still do this, we're not that old.
Theres nothing to stop them either individually or in pairs/groups continuing with their performances. I mean I saw Don Henley 3 times on his European tour, and Joe in New Jersey last year and both sounded fine. But taking on the stress and responsibility of holding up the band when they really don't need to is completely different - again I feel as a band they should have retired gracefully as a unit after the Grammy performance. I don't think they have done any favours by continuing

Freypower
06-17-2018, 09:06 PM
I need to address a couple of points raised in this review. It was posted in the review thread, but I am not going to hijack that.

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/music/article/Eagles-and-Chris-Stapleton-knock-out-the-hits-in-12997027.php

Bands continuing on in some form after a key member has passed (Adam Lambert with Queen, John Mayer in Dead and Company, Axl Rose fronting AC/DC) will likely become the norm as time marches on and classic rock's biggest names make their permanent exits. A band's catalog, if sturdy enough, can transcend even the very people who recorded it.

I disagree with this so strongly that it's hard to find enough words. What this is saying & what the defenders have been saying all along, is that the members of a band don't matter; only the songs matter.

I went to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band with an orchestra in January, and then I saw Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening last month. I enjoyed both shows. But at NO TIME did I ever think that the songs themselves were enough to 'transcend' the show & make it Led Zeppelin. I was seeing a cover band. I was not seeing the real thing. That is what people are seeing when they see the 'Eagles'. As I have said all along, if all that matters is the songs, then see a tribute band for a third of the price.

Of course, reviews like this are disrespectful to Glenn Frey because they basically say he wasn't important. He didn't matter. Someone else is singing his songs so that's OK, isn't it. The viewpoint is insulting because it basically says that anybody can sing or play these songs - vocal quality & musicianship isn't important. Just play the notes in the right order & sing in tune, and the fans won't care.

I may have repeated this sentiment a few times now, but the coldness of the above & its willingness to just take this as read, raised my hackles just as I'm tryijng to leave it all behind.

sodascouts
06-17-2018, 11:02 PM
If what this guy says were true, any cover band with good enough singers and players doing Eagles hits is just as good as seeing the real Eagles because they're playing the same "transcendent" songs.

I think we all know that's BS.

Dawn
06-17-2018, 11:31 PM
Personally, I believe when it gets right down to it Accept No Substitutes Don Henley has a lot to answer for.

WalshFan88
06-18-2018, 12:05 AM
If what this guy says were true, any cover band with good enough singers and players doing Eagles hits is just as good as seeing the real Eagles because they're playing the same "transcendent" songs.

I think we all know that's BS.

Exactly. Personally, I'd rather see a tribute band now. But it's total BS.

WalshFan88
06-18-2018, 12:06 AM
Personally, I believe when it gets right down to it Accept No Substitutes Don Henley has a lot to answer for.

A LOT to answer for is right. Very disappointed in Don.

chaim
06-18-2018, 12:58 AM
Plus this isn't only about "songs surviving". Like has been pointed out, a cover band will do if the songs are enough. It's also about using the name. Any group of people can play them, because it's "all about the songs", but could just any group of people be called 'Eagles'?

sodascouts
06-18-2018, 01:59 AM
Plus this isn't only about "songs surviving". Like has been pointed out, a cover band will do if the songs are enough. It's also about using the name. Any group of people can play them, because it's "all about the songs", but could just any group of people be called 'Eagles'?

Exactly - the name "Eagles" shouldn't be stuck on any group of men that Henley and Azoff judge to be marketable under the moniker. It should have real meaning.

06-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Needless to say, I agree with what every one of you have said regarding the comments in this review.

Of course, I believe the practice of just casually substituting other artists in place of a music legend is disrespectful to that artist's body of work. I wholeheartedly agree with what FP wrote here ...

The viewpoint is insulting because it basically says that anybody can sing or play these songs - vocal quality & musicianship isn't important. Just play the notes in the right order & sing in tune, and the fans won't care.

Unfortunately, I think the reviewer is correct that this is becoming the mindset of many fans. And he is making exactly the same point that I was making earlier in this thread that some members scoffed at - if the trend continues, it is not at all inconceivable that at some point in the future, the 'Eagles' will still be performing with a next generation of performers. To me, the mere thought of this is beyond sad.

Freypower
06-18-2018, 08:12 PM
When rock music first started, it was mainly individuals with backing bands; people like BIll Haley, Buddy Holly, or people who billed themselves as solo artists like Chuck Berry & Elvis Presley. The era of bands composing & playing their own music really (In my view) started with the Beatles. People wanted to be in bands, to be part of the era of self-expression. They were no longer prepared to play songs written by others (although this lived on in the Motown vocal groups).

For a time in the mid 60s you had the bubblegum sound, which was prepackaged music performed by anonymous, interchangeable musicians who never even played live. At one stage this even descended to the level of a cartoon (the Archies).

Now what is being said is as the classic rock era comes to an end as more & more of its most famous musicians die, there wil be something called 'franchising' or 'branding' where musicians use a famous band name to play that band's music even if they have a barely tenuous connection to the actual band.

Mark Knopfler wrote a song about this called Terminal Of Tribute To. It would be harsh to quote it, because some would say the 'Eagles' haven't been reduced to this yet. But as Dreamer says above, it could happen.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/markknopfler/terminaloftributeto.html

sodascouts
06-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Mark Knopfler wrote a song about this called Terminal Of Tribute To. It would be harsh to quote it, because some would say the 'Eagles' haven't been reduced to this yet. But as Dreamer says above, it could happen.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/markknopfler/terminaloftributeto.html

Yeah - they still have one original member.

Freypower
06-20-2018, 09:00 PM
Here are some interesting comments by Devon Allman about 'bloodliine' bands.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/devon-allman-bloodline-bands/

“There’s tribute bands out the ass,” Allman told Rolling Stone (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/gregg-allmans-son-devon-talks-carrying-on-the-family-legacy-w521508) in a new interview. “It’s a big, money-making deal. But wouldn’t you rather see a Bonham beat the shit out of the drums? And wouldn’t you rather hear an Allman and a Betts do ‘Blue Sky’ and ‘Midnight Rider’ instead of a tribute band? Hell, yes, you would!”

Well, yes. I just did see Jason Bonham. But as I said above, it was not remotely near the experience of seeing Led Zeppelin. I have seen Dweezil Zappa three times. They were worth seeing but it is not the same, and it is not necessarily better than a tribute band because of one musician's surname. Not all siblings of musicians have the same amount of talent as their fathers. It just doesn't work that way.

So people seeing what now passes for the Eagles think it's good enough because Glenn Frey's son is an adequate substitute and hey, the others are still there, so what's the big deal?

I am now going to quote from T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, one of my favourite poems. If some object to the last line I'm afraid that cannot be helped. I have been waiting for a chance to post this for some time. Think of it as a final way of getting this out of my system.

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
Almost, at times, the Fool.

Dawn
06-20-2018, 09:58 PM

“There’s tribute bands out the ass,” Allman told Rolling Stone (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/gregg-allmans-son-devon-talks-carrying-on-the-family-legacy-w521508) in a new interview. “It’s a big, money-making deal. But wouldn’t you rather see a Bonham beat the shit out of the drums? And wouldn’t you rather hear an Allman and a Betts do ‘Blue Sky’ and ‘Midnight Rider’ instead of a tribute band? Hell, yes, you would!”

Well, yes. I just did see Jason Bonham. But as I said above, it was not remotely near the experience of seeing Led Zeppelin. I have seen Dweezil Zappa three times. They were worth seeing but it is not the same, and it is not necessarily better than a tribute band because of one musician's surname. Not all siblings of musicians have the same amount of talent as their fathers. It just doesn't work that way.

So people seeing what now passes for the Eagles think it's good enough because Glenn Frey's son is an adequate substitute and hey, the others are still there, so what's the big deal?

I am now going to quote from T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, one of my favourite poems. If some object to the last line I'm afraid that cannot be helped. I have been waiting for a chance to post this for some time. Think of it as a final way of getting this out of my system.

Lovely poem. Spot on too.

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 02:58 AM

This idea of passing down your position in your band to a relative like it was a piece of furniture is ludicrous and in the past, unheard of...

Even if you wanted to follow in your father's footsteps as a musician, you still started your own band. You'd honor him not by spending years playing his music, but by using him as an inspiration for your own.

That doesn't allow anyone to capitalize on a brand name, though. So instead we have our legacy acts shoving their children into their vacated roles, as if they were interchangeable and their kids had no separate identity, skill set, or purpose in life.

FP - nice use of Eliot.

Dawn
06-21-2018, 11:56 AM
This idea of passing down your position in your band to a relative like it was a piece of furniture is ludicrous and in the past, unheard of...

Even if you wanted to follow in your father's footsteps as a musician, you still started your own band. You'd honor him not spending years playing his music, but by using him as an inspiration for your own.

That doesn't allow anyone to capitalize on a brand name, though. So instead we have our legacy acts shoving their children into their vacated roles, as if they were interchangeable and their kids had no separate identity, skill set, or purpose in life.

FP - nice use of Eliot.

Wow, I am nearly speechless. Thank you Soda. Painful as it is ... IMHO this is exactly what has happened.

To add further insult to injury -- Vince Gill hitching his wagon to the Eagles brand.

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Wow, I am nearly speechless. Thank you Soda. Painful as it is ... IMHO this is exactly what has happened.

Thanks. I know some might think I sound harsh. However, in the case of the "Eagles", I don't blame Deacon, a kid presented with stacks of money and fame on a platter, told it's a way of honoring his father to boot. I blame those who are manipulating him.

To add further insult to injury -- Vince Gill hitching his wagon to the Eagles brand.He should've said no... but again, his dream of becoming an Eagle was dangled in front of him and why should be be loyal to Glenn? They weren't really friends.

Yeah, they may have played golf together a couple times and Glenn was friendly (of course), as he was eager to point out, but how far does that go? Yeah, he was a big fan of the Eagles, but was he a big fan of Glenn's solo work? Did he feel a real connection with the man in any other way but "lead singer and guitarist for the Eagles, nice guy I met a couple times?" Fat chance, my friends, or he would have said so.

That weak link is not going to make him turn down millions of dollars and living his dream. As for turning it down on principle? Well, I'm sure Don told him "I really think this is what Glenn would have wanted. He would just LOVE that you're replacing him... I mean... that you're keeping his songs from dying, as they surely would be forgotten unless we tour constantly!"

The real blame likes with the one who asked him.

Freypower
06-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Soda, those are a couple of brilliant posts & I totally agree with them.

Another analogy that could be made is with the theatre or film.

If you are the son or daughter of an actor & wish to become an actor, you want to play the roles which suit you, not your parent's roles (unless you are Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son, I guess). You want to carve your own path.

When you go to the theatre you're seeing a performance of a play, and 'the play's the thing'. The play is more important than the actors, although if roles are miscast, obviously problems occur. Plays may once have been written for specific people to play (Richard Burbage in Shakespeare) but as times change, so do the actors and for that matter so does the style of performance.

Rock music however, real rock music, was supposed to be about specific groups of musicians, who wrote & recorded their songs. Audiences went to see THOSE PARTICULAR MUSICIANS, not substitutes & certainly not family members. It was a much more individualistic system than the theatre because it was based on personal work. What the 'Eagles' and 'Fleetwood Mac' and this whole 'bloodlines' stuff are attempting to tell us is that the songs are more important than the original individuals who created them.

Anyway this is probably repeating the same thing too often now.

BillBailey1976
06-22-2018, 06:18 AM
And that's really the divide isn't it. People who feel like the songs and experience are more important, and people who think the person singing them is more important.

I will say that in some forms of music, the song is more important. In Southern Gospel music, specifically in the male quartet world, the members of groups change ALOT, and it is all about the sound, and the song.
One group that I really enjoy are the Kingsmen quartet. They have probably had 100 members over the 50 or so years the group has been around.
I think precedent is an issue too though. Those groups were changing from the beginning, through the entire life of the group. And they typically don't write their own songs.
And another issue that we don't see with groups like the Eagles, is that these gospel groups setlists change almost entirely over time. The Kingsmen probably only play a couple of songs that are over 10 or 15 years old. They don't do 3 hour marathon performances of all the "hits" because they have many many hits, and release many albums. They have done 12 albums since 2000.
I think like Freypower said, Rock music is very different and very unique in the way the song is associated with the person.

sodascouts
06-22-2018, 11:32 AM
I think this might miss the mark for me. There are good cover versions of songs that aren't done by the original singer. I don't have any problem with people covering songs, and in cases like Bob Dylan, I much prefer people to cover his songs. Lots of people cover Eagles songs very well.

But those people don't pretend they ARE the Eagles.

The "Eagles" are now a glorified cover band to me. My only problem is that they are falsely presenting themselves as the real thing when there is no Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Dawn
06-22-2018, 01:27 PM
From the beginning this didn't look or feel right. How could the Eagles continue without Glenn Frey? Why would they even want to?

The answers to those two questions -- e.g. "it's healing, it's what Glenn would have wanted, the fans want to hear the songs performed by the band that recorded them not some tribute band" did not work to change my initial uneasiness nor has the passage of time.

The reason is simple.

Either Glenn is irreplaceable or he is isn't. There is no middle ground.

But that reality doesn't work for the brand. The brand needs Glenn Frey to be irreplaceable and replaceable at the same time.

That is what sells tickets and fills the seats.

IMHO it's not about keeping the songs alive. It's about keeping the brand generating tour revenue for as long as possible.

Freypower
06-22-2018, 07:07 PM
And that's really the divide isn't it. People who feel like the songs and experience are more important, and people who think the person singing them is more important.

I will say that in some forms of music, the song is more important. In Southern Gospel music, specifically in the male quartet world, the members of groups change ALOT, and it is all about the sound, and the song.
One group that I really enjoy are the Kingsmen quartet. They have probably had 100 members over the 50 or so years the group has been around.
I think precedent is an issue too though. Those groups were changing from the beginning, through the entire life of the group. And they typically don't write their own songs.
And another issue that we don't see with groups like the Eagles, is that these gospel groups setlists change almost entirely over time. The Kingsmen probably only play a couple of songs that are over 10 or 15 years old. They don't do 3 hour marathon performances of all the "hits" because they have many many hits, and release many albums. They have done 12 albums since 2000.
I think like Freypower said, Rock music is very different and very unique in the way the song is associated with the person.

Yes, I alluded to the non-songwriting groups in an earlier posts. For gospel groups as you say, and pretty much for the Motown vocal groups, it didn't matter who the members were. The songwriters ruled. Same with bubblegum groups.

Of course the songs are important, but for authenticity, the person who wrote & sang or played the original is a better option.

Anyway, now the 'Eagles' have even decided that their own back catalogue isn't that important any more. Tulsa Time & Walking To New Orleans? That's the Eagles, is it? Oh, but they're proving they can change. They're reaching out to their audiences, etc etc. Or are they trying to keep Gill interested? How long before he gets more songs of his own?

Glennsallnighter
06-22-2018, 07:13 PM
How Long before hes a 'real' Eagle? :sad: Poor Glenn :heart: must be turning in his grave

Freypower
06-22-2018, 07:27 PM
How Long before hes a 'real' Eagle? :sad: Poor Glenn :heart: must be turning in his grave

He is already a 'real' Eagle. He's in the photos.

BillBailey1976
06-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Yes, I alluded to the non-songwriting groups in an earlier posts. For gospel groups as you say, and pretty much for the Motown vocal groups, it didn't matter who the members were. The songwriters ruled. Same with bubblegum groups.

Of course the songs are important, but for authenticity, the person who wrote & sang or played the original is a better option.

Anyway, now the 'Eagles' have even decided that their own back catalogue isn't that important any more. Tulsa Time & Walking To New Orleans? That's the Eagles, is it? Oh, but they're proving they can change. They're reaching out to their audiences, etc etc. Or are they trying to keep Gill interested? How long before he gets more songs of his own?

It's so funny that you mentioned Motown. After I posted that, I thought about how Motown has that same revolving door in groups. I looked up the Temptations. I think they've had like 24 members!!!!

I can see Vince just doing his one solo song for now. I think like has already happened, it will rotate through a few, but I'm not sure they give him more. But.....with these guys nothing is off the table, I don't think.

I can see them, in Eag'less' tour 2, going back to a HFO type show, where there are several solos from Don (Boys of Summer, Dirty Laundry, All She Wants to Do, etc.), and if that's the case, I can see them adding another Vince song or 2.

chaim
06-23-2018, 08:50 AM
I don't quite understand this Motown thing. Even though Four Tops didn't write their own songs, I find it strange that they still perform with only one original member -one of the background singers. The other current members were kids when FT had their first big hits.

sodascouts
06-23-2018, 12:39 PM
One thing that's been brought up before in debate but that no one on the other side ever addresses is the fundamental flaw of the argument "We must tour to keep the music alive..."

Um... what happens when they're not able to tour anymore themselves?

Surely they don't seriously believe all their music will die then?

"Wait - what's that over there? Thought I saw something. Anyway, about the topic of how we should tour so some teenage fan in Switzerland can hear us...." replies Don Henley. lol

I wish he would get called on it like that. But the sad part is, people don't challenge it. They just swallow it. "Oh, yeah.. keep the music alive... yeah, that's what Glenn would want!"

chaim
06-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Yes, I've been waiting for an answer to that. If the music's going to die anyway the day a band called 'Eagles' stops touring, what good does it do in the long run (pun not intended, but acknowledged) to keep it alive a few more years?

carol7lynn
06-23-2018, 05:04 PM
The more I read about the GlennFreyLessEagles, the more turned off I've become. They've morphed into a tribute band.

You'd think their time would be better spent creating new music, rather than re-creating "Tequila Sunrises....on their Long Road Out of Eden" for months on end.

Perhaps this is their way of working through their collective grief, not to mention their own mortality. Future is just too scarey. Easier to re-create the past. Safe and secure.

Perhaps........Per Chance...."A New Romance......."

CarolC

WalshFan88
06-23-2018, 05:45 PM

No matter what Don and Co think of him, he will never be a real Eagle to me and to a lot of others. And the fact he is pushing his own solo material into the band really disgusts me. He should thank his lucky stars he is in the band. Saying things like "I always thought I'd make a good Eagle"...well Vince, I never did. Show some humility. What makes you think you deserve to be in the band?!

chaim
06-23-2018, 06:02 PM
No matter what Don and Co think of him, he will never be a real Eagle to me and to a lot of others. And the fact he is pushing his own solo material into the band really disgusts me. He should thank his lucky stars he is in the band. Saying things like "I always thought I'd make a good Eagle"...well Vince, I never did. Show some humility. What makes you think you deserve to be in the band?!

He said that?? :doh: Even if he said it as a joke, it's a terrible thing to say.

WalshFan88
06-23-2018, 08:57 PM
He said that?? :doh: Even if he said it as a joke, it's a terrible thing to say.

I think he was dead serious. Way too arrogant for my tastes.

"In my mind, I always thought I'd have made a good Eagle," said a smiling Gill, whose 21 Grammy Awards make him the most awarded male country artist in Grammy history.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-eagles-reunion-vince-gill-deacon-frey-classic-west-east-20170530-story.html

New Kid In Town
06-23-2018, 09:18 PM
One thing that's been brought up before in debate but that no one on the other side ever addresses is the fundamental flaw of the argument "We must tour to keep the music alive..."

Um... what happens when they're not able to tour anymore themselves?

Surely they don't seriously believe all their music will die then?

"Wait - what's that over there? Thought I saw something. Anyway, about the topic of how we should tour so some teenage fan in Switzerland can hear us...." replies Don Henley. lol

I wish he would get called on it like that. But the sad part is, people don't challenge it. They just swallow it. "Oh, yeah.. keep the music alive... yeah, that's what Glenn would want!"

Amen Soda ! I agree Austin. Remember, it was Glenn who stated the Eagles music never died after they broke up in 1980. Classic Rock Radio played their songs non-stop and they still do. The their music will continue after they stop touring. It is just a lame excuse Don gives to legitimize their going on without Glenn. And amazingly, few music critics and others in the industry have questioned this. Obviously having Deacon with them keeps people from criticizing them.

WalshFan88
06-24-2018, 05:26 AM
To me Vince Gill seems like one of those people that some will always see as angelic, nice, and down to earth, and there will always be others that see it differently and sometimes more accurately. At least with Don Henley there is no guessing - what you see is what you get good or bad (however you see it). But both of them have seriously disappointed me. And to a point, also Tim and Joe.

Just from the comments he's made about him and the Eagles and his "injection" of his country crooner soft country solo material into a band that didn't need it nor should play it tells me he's not as humble as some might think. I've also just read and watched interviews from him over the years. Just my own take on it.

chaim
06-24-2018, 05:49 AM
I think he was dead serious. Way too arrogant for my tastes.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-eagles-reunion-vince-gill-deacon-frey-classic-west-east-20170530-story.html

Well, he was obviously wrong since he isn't a good Eagle. Just an Eagle.

WalshFan88
06-24-2018, 05:55 AM
Well, he was obviously wrong since he isn't a good Eagle. Just an Eagle.

Yep, if that.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the talent in him like I did in Glenn Frey. Singing, songwriting, and playing. It's not an even playing field. Couple that with his apparent desperation to cling onto the Eagles name, and with him being so sure of his position the Eagles makes me think that he should thank his lucky stars that he got to put this band on his "resume". Just my take on the matter.

Dawn
06-24-2018, 09:58 AM
I think it's obvious without Henley's "Accept No Substitutes" rubber stamp of approval Vince Gill would not be touring the country getting paid to be an Eagle at 50 plus concert venues.

Seriously disappointed in Gill. And yes, Timothy and Joe - major letdown.

Dawn
06-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Amen Soda ! I agree Austin. Remember, it was Glenn who stated the Eagles music never died after they broke up in 1980. Classic Rock Radio played their songs non-stop and they still do. The their music will continue after they stop touring. It is just a lame excuse Don gives to legitimize their going on without Glenn. And amazingly, few music critics and others in the industry have questioned this. Obviously having Deacon with them keeps people from criticizing them.

Well said NKIT. Personally, it seems to me Don Henley is fond of making defensive proclamations like " we do it because we can" which is all fine and dandy but he has to know or at least suspect there are fans who aren't buying his excuses. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever. #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

sodascouts
06-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Amen Dawn. And yeah, we Eagles fans who "accept no substitutes" should have a hashtag of our own, shouldn't we, in the style of the angry Fleetwood Mac fans' #ISTANDWITHLINDSEY and #BOYCOTTFLEETWOODMAC? There's a lot of "N"s in the middle but it gets the point across! #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

WalshFan88
06-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Amen Dawn. And yeah, we Eagles fans who "accept no substitutes" should have a hashtag of our own, shouldn't we, in the style of the angry Fleetwood Mac fans' #ISTANDWITHLINDSEY and #BOYCOTTFLEETWOODMAC? There's a lot of "N"s in the middle but it gets the point across! #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

Absolutely.

Freypower
06-24-2018, 09:06 PM
And in their latest show they apparently did Deep In The Heart Of Texas. That is not even a rock song (wouldn't La Grange or even China Grove be more appropriate for Texas - someone had suggested Talking To The Moon. What's that *Sarcasm alert)? Is this their new schtick, to do novelty songs vaguely associated with each city or state? They are getting more cartoonish by the day. Perhaps those of us who are against this should study their tour dates & try & guess which song they'll choose for each city. It might be a bit of fun in a strange, sad way.

WalshFan88
06-24-2018, 11:06 PM
And in their latest show they apparently did Deep In The Heart Of Texas. That is not even a rock song (wouldn't La Grange or even China Grove be more appropriate for Texas - someone had suggested Talking To The Moon. What's that *Sarcasm alert)? Is this their new schtick, to do novelty songs vaguely associated with each city or state? They are getting more cartoonish by the day. Perhaps those of us who are against this should study their tour dates & try & guess which song they'll choose for each city. It might be a bit of fun in a strange, sad way.

I think it's partly Vince. And yes, rock songs are more appropriate.

Regardless of their past, the Eagles are and have been a rock band. They've put their soft country days behind them other than playing those hits from that era. They moved forward with Walsh and Felder by getting rid of Leadon. Now it seems with Vince's influence, they want to play old timey country or otherwise non-rock songs. That makes me want to vomit. I hate that music. I want to hear rock and roll, and I'm willing to stomach hearing those early hits off of LP and Desperado to hear the stuff I like, if I have to like I did on the HOTE tour. The country music I like is the new stuff, more southern rock or RNB/EDM inspired.

I don't know who's idea it really was, but that is who I'm betting on.

chaim
06-25-2018, 03:37 AM
Perhaps playing those songs (and Vince's solo songs) helps keep the Eagles songs alive - which is the reason they're touring. :mrgreen:

WalshFan88
06-25-2018, 05:00 AM
Perhaps playing those songs (and Vince's solo songs) helps keep the Eagles songs alive - which is the reason they're touring. :mrgreen:

:lol:

So true. Gotta keep those songs alive ya'll. Because after they quit in 1980 all the way until 1994, no one ever heard them again or thought of them. They ceased to exist until they decided to bring out the defibrillator and revive them.

Spare me.

Dawn
06-25-2018, 08:16 AM
"Eleven songs into the Eagles concert at a full Smoothie King Center on Wednesday night, the late Glenn Frey materialized on the stage’s LED-screen backdrop. His 25-year-old son, Deacon, had just finished filling in his lead vocals on “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” In the photo, Glenn smiled warmly, as if signaling both approval and pride."

And there you have it.

sodascouts
06-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Emotional manipulation 100% successful.

Dawn
06-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Emotional manipulation 100% successful.

Fait Accompli

chaim
06-25-2018, 04:27 PM
IMO their intentions behind showing a picture of Glenn after Deacon has sung PEF can still be pure (as easily as they may not be), but it would be naive to think that Glenn would approve just because they show his smiling face.

Dawn
06-25-2018, 05:43 PM
IMO their intentions about showing a picture of Glenn after Deacon has sung PEF can still be pure (as easily as they may not be), but it would naive to think that Glenn would approve just because they show his smiling face.

Sadly I can't think of a better way to capitalize on the moment.

Freypower
06-25-2018, 06:33 PM
"Eleven songs into the Eagles concert at a full Smoothie King Center on Wednesday night, the late Glenn Frey materialized on the stage’s LED-screen backdrop. His 25-year-old son, Deacon, had just finished filling in his lead vocals on “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” In the photo, Glenn smiled warmly, as if signaling both approval and pride."

And there you have it.

Nobody actually saw that photo (I assume it's the one in the blue shirt with the acoustic guitar) until after Glenn died. Now it's being used to justify this, instead of remembering Glenn himself.

Pathetic.

And they've also brought back The Long Run (a song I dislike, but that's my problem) in the encore, no less. Presumably it's all about how they've 'survived' and 'ain't breaking' etc. Well, isn't that nice. :hand: Though I dsliked it, there was always a special moment between Don & Glenn during it. Now it's about self-justification. I had actually been wondering how long it would take before they brought it back.

Dawn
06-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Nobody actually saw that photo (I assume it's the one in the blue shirt with the acoustic guitar) until after Glenn died. Now it's being used to justify this, instead of remembering Glenn himself.

Pathetic.

And they've also brought back The Long Run (a song I dislike, but that's my problem) in the encore, no less. Presumably it's all about how they've 'survived' and 'ain't breaking' etc. Well, isn't that nice. :hand: Though I dsliked it, there was always a special moment between Don & Glenn during it. Now it's about self-justification. I had actually been wondering how long it would take before they brought it back.

Yes, I believe that is the photo.

I never thought about TLR being added to the 2018 tour and agree with you about the song and Glenn and Don.

sodascouts
06-25-2018, 09:17 PM
IMO their intentions behind showing a picture of Glenn after Deacon has sung PEF can still be pure (as easily as they may not be), but it would be naive to think that Glenn would approve just because they show his smiling face.

True. However, little seems "pure" about what they are doing.

WKMB55
06-25-2018, 11:43 PM
A friend of mine who was at the show in Dallas said Don changed the line to "All the debutants in Dallas........" instead of "Houston".

chaim
06-26-2018, 04:27 AM
A friend of mine who was at the show in Dallas said Don changed the line to "All the debutants in Dallas........" instead of "Houston".

Yeah, there's a video in another thread.

WKMB55
06-26-2018, 09:41 AM
I didn't know that, Chaim. I don't watch videos of anyone posted on youtube or twitter or instagram, etc. I personally don't care for the sound quality.

chaim
06-26-2018, 09:48 AM
I didn't know that, Chaim. I don't watch videos of anyone posted on youtube or twitter or instagram, etc. I personally don't care for the sound quality.

I didn't mean to educate you. Just thought you (or anyone who reads this thread) might like to check it out.

groupie2686
06-26-2018, 10:17 AM

I agree, they never did that sort of thing before. Makes me wonder what they'll do when they come to New York (if they are coming there), Sinatra's New York New York? Billy Joel's New York State of Mind?

I've decided that the only way to stay sane about this is to stop reading the reviews or anything about their recent shows. For me, the Eagles ended in 2016.

scottside
06-26-2018, 10:31 AM
I agree, they never did that sort of thing before. Makes me wonder what they'll do when they come to New York (if they are coming there), Sinatra's New York New York? Billy Joel's New York State of Mind?

I've decided that the only way to stay sane about this is to stop reading the reviews or anything about their recent shows. For me, the Eagles ended in 2016.

They'll probably do "New York Minute" when they play here.

sodascouts
06-26-2018, 10:44 AM

Same.

Brooke
06-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Same here.

WKMB55
06-26-2018, 11:47 AM
I didn't take your comment personally and I wasn't offended, chaim. From reading your other posts, I know you try very hard not to offend others when making your point. Besides, I don't feel that I'm ever too old to learn new things👍☺

groupie2686
06-26-2018, 01:46 PM
They'll probably do "New York Minute" when they play here.

*facepalm* Of course!

CAinOH
06-26-2018, 03:03 PM
I've decided that the only way to stay sane about this is to stop reading the reviews or anything about their recent shows.

I have also come to that conclusion after reading a review for one of the recent concerts that stated, quite simply, that those of us who don't consider the Eagles a band without Glenn Frey to just, "Get over it!" And he thought he was quite clever in that regard.

I'm thinking the next step is: Las Vegas residency. But that might make them easier to ignore.

sodascouts
06-26-2018, 07:18 PM
I'm thinking the next step is: Las Vegas residency. But that might make them easier to ignore.

How much more of Deacon's life is going to be spent "paying tribute to his father" if that happens?

Freypower
06-26-2018, 08:06 PM
How much more of Deacon's life is going to be spent "paying tribute to his father" if that happens?

He isn't paying tribute though. From what I've seen the alleged 'tribute' occurs for a couple of seconds after Peaceful Easy Feeling. That's it. And I would think if they went to Vegas they'd drop any pretence of paying tribute.

sodascouts
06-27-2018, 02:06 AM
He isn't paying tribute though. From what I've seen the alleged 'tribute' occurs for a couple of seconds after Peaceful Easy Feeling. That's it. And I would think if they went to Vegas they'd drop any pretence of paying tribute.

Hence the quotation marks around the phrase.

But it was presented to him that way, and presented to the public that way.

Even so, it is hardly something one would want to do for years... except the money would be very good. Hard to turn down. Perhaps they'll be able to buy his twenties from him.

Freypower
06-27-2018, 02:24 AM
Hence the quotation marks around the phrase.

But it was presented to him that way, and presented to the public that way.

Even so, it is hardly something one would want to do for years... except the money would be very good. Hard to turn down. Perhaps they'll be able to buy his twenties from him.

Yes, I get the irony of your statement now Soda.

Deacon Frey is far too young to have been shoehorned into this exercise. He should have tried to make his own way in the music industry with his own talent & his own music.

WalshFan88
06-27-2018, 04:31 AM
Deacon Frey is far too young to have been shoehorned into this exercise. He should have tried to make his own way in the music industry with his own talent & his own music.

Exactly - my point all along.

For one, he should have worked for it instead of being in a position most others will never be. He should have done it the hard way by as you said, creating his own music and letting the world decide if it's good or not. Instead, because of who he knew, he got in without paying his dues, which bothers me. He shouldn't be riding his dad's coattails. Glenn worked hard for it and Deacon should too.

chaim
06-27-2018, 06:17 AM
Well I certainly could understand the "healing" aspect in the beginning. A few shows I get, but how many tours and millions (dollars) does it take to heal? I don't mean this in a mean way since the death of one's father is a terrible thing. I just find it hard to believe that it's still about the healing process for Deacon.

Glennsallnighter
06-27-2018, 06:46 AM
In 10 years time Deacon might be able to sit back on his millions and reminisce about his time following in his fathers footsteps, and yes he will be free from many of the financial pressures that other young people have to face, but IMO he is sacrificing his own identity and career path to do so - to be a filler in for Dad and to please the masses who missed the Eagles first and second time around. Its not like a young lad taking over a business from a parent who has retired where he could grow with that business for life, build on it, expand it, break new frontiers. Once this current line up breaks down which with its 3 main members over 70 it inevitably will, where will Deacon go? I'd say Vince likes the opportunity to play with a big group, and is augmenting his pension nicely while he does so. But he'll have no regrets when it ends.

Dawn
06-27-2018, 08:06 AM
"Ralph Waldo Emerson said, ‘A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Don Henley. June 2017

Pffftttt.

sodascouts
06-27-2018, 01:16 PM
The irony is that the foolish consistency in context was foolishly conforming to societal expectations consistently even when they were damaging and wrong, instead of being true to one's individual conscience. One must read the text in its entirety.

Sounds a lot like what they're doing now. Don knew it was wrong to do this but instead of following his conscience, he followed the expectation of society and his own desire for money.

For all his literary pedigree and much-touted appreciation of the transcendentalists, Henley completely missed Emerson's complex point, and instead trotted out the pop culture out-of-context "enotes" oversimplification of the quote.

And he will never be self aware enough, and in this case textually aware enough, to know it.

groupie2686
06-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Well I certainly could understand the "healing" aspect in the beginning. A few shows I get, but how many tours and millions (dollars) does it take to heal? I don't mean this in a mean way since the death of one's father is a terrible thing. I just find it hard to believe that it's still about the healing process for Deacon.

I may be way off the mark here, and I sincerely mean no disrespect to Deacon, but maybe for him, this is a way to avoid what is a very harsh and tragic reality, the loss of his father. By playing with his father's band, singing his father's songs, with the long hair and sunglasses like his father had in the 70s (and doesn't he have a mustache now too), he can pretend to be his father, in a sense, step into his father's shoes, and live his father's life. Then he can avoid fully processing this for a while longer. Then one day when they stop doing this, as they inevitably have to, given the age of the rest, the reality of this will hit him like a ton of bricks.

Like I said, I could be way off, and I really don't mean any disrespect to him. I can't imagine how hard this must be for him and the other kids.

On a side note, I read somewhere that Jackson Browne is still dedicating Take It Easy to Glenn in shows. I haven't read a review of their concerts in quite a while, but they're not dedicating songs to Glenn anymore, are they?

CAinOH
06-27-2018, 01:40 PM
On a side note, I read somewhere that Jackson Browne is still dedicating Take It Easy to Glenn in shows. I haven't read a review of their concerts in quite a while, but they're not dedicating songs to Glenn anymore, are they?

Glenn who?

Sorry, probably too sarcastic...

cosec3791
06-27-2018, 01:42 PM
The irony is that the foolish consistency in context was foolishly conforming to societal expectations consistently even when they were damaging and wrong, instead of being true to one's individual conscience. One must read the text in its entirety.

Sounds a lot like what they're doing now. Don knew it was wrong to do this but instead of following his conscience, he followed the expectation of society and his own desire for money.

For all his literary pedigree and much-touted appreciation of the transcendentalists, Henley completely missed Emerson's complex point, and instead trotted out the pop culture out-of-context "enotes" oversimplification of the quote.

And he will never be self aware enough, and in this case literate enough, to know it.

Sorry for digressing a bit, but is it embarassing if I didn't understand what you said? I really could not wrap my head around the quote (sorry Dawn), nor your post. I apologize.

cosec3791
06-27-2018, 01:44 PM
I may be way off the mark here, and I sincerely mean no disrespect to Deacon, but maybe for him, this is a way to avoid what is a very harsh and tragic reality, the loss of his father. By playing with his father's band, singing his father's songs, with the long hair and sunglasses like his father had in the 70s (and doesn't he have a mustache now too), he can pretend to be his father, in a sense, step into his father's shoes, and live his father's life. Then he doesn't have to avoid fully processing this for a while longer. Then one day when they stop doing this, as they inevitably have to, given the age of the rest, the reality of this will hit him like a ton of bricks.

Like I said, I could be way off, and I really don't mean any disrespect to him. I can't imagine how hard this must be for him and the other kids.

That is probable. But what I really wonder is about how Cindy feels about all this touring?

Dawn
06-27-2018, 01:47 PM

And he will never be self aware enough, and in this case literate enough, to know it.

Thank you. :headbang:

Dawn
06-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Touring is a grind but it pays extremely well.

sodascouts
06-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Sorry for digressing a bit, but is it embarassing if I didn't understand what you said? I really could not wrap my head around the quote (sorry Dawn), nor your post. I apologize.

People freely use "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" to mean the following: "The opinion I used to hold was foolish. Therefore, if I were to be consistent in keeping to that opinion, it would be silly. It would mean I had a little mind. Thus, you can't blame me for being inconsistent in my opinion. In fact, you should applaud me for changing my opinion to something that isn't foolish! It shows I have a GREAT mind, just like the great Ralph Waldo Emerson!"

This is used by politicians to break campaign promises all the time. "I know I said that I would vote to give funds to help the poor, but my new opinion is that the money would be better used to finance the war effort, and a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

In fact, it can be used by ANYONE to justify breaking their word.

"Yes, I told you that I'd let your mother come live with us when she got sick, but my new opinion is that the arrangement's just not going to work out... no, you can't hold me to my promise, dear, because as Emerson says, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

Don Henley used it this way: "Yes, I said that to continue the Eagles without Glenn would be greedy and desperate. However, my new opinion is that it's a great idea to continue the Eagles without Glenn - and a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

It's disgusting how poor Emerson is abused by people when they want to go back on their word.

However, if you read "Self-Reliance" in its entirety, you see that he never meant it to be taken that way. Who's going to do that, though? Almost no one. If one is curious enough to Google it, one will only find simplistic E-notes type study sites made for students which parrot the basic interp. Who goes and reads the whole thing?

Apparently, not even Don Henley.

chaim
06-27-2018, 03:08 PM
Well, it's very ironic indeed, Don using the phrase in that context. Totally upside down.

WalshFan88
06-27-2018, 08:14 PM
In 10 years time Deacon might be able to sit back on his millions and reminisce about his time following in his fathers footsteps, and yes he will be free from many of the financial pressures that other young people have to face, but IMO he is sacrificing his own identity and career path to do so - to be a filler in for Dad and to please the masses who missed the Eagles first and second time around. Its not like a young lad taking over a business from a parent who has retired where he could grow with that business for life, build on it, expand it, break new frontiers. Once this current line up breaks down which with its 3 main members over 70 it inevitably will, where will Deacon go? I'd say Vince likes the opportunity to play with a big group, and is augmenting his pension nicely while he does so. But he'll have no regrets when it ends.

True, it's just that he still gets to do this and didn't have to prove himself or work his way up the ladder to do so. He's very lucky, in that regard. I felt the same way about Eddie Van Halen's son, Wolfgang, who replaced Michael Anthony in Van Halen. Wolfie didn't have to do anything to get there. His dad was mad at MA, so Wolfie is their new bassist. Sadly, Wolfie doesn't have one tenth of the same skill.

He is giving up his identity for sure. I think he will regret it. He's giving up his young adulthood to be a caricature of his late father. He will lose out on a lot of years. Yet, when you wave money in people's faces they can be manipulated.

Vince, well I'm not a fan of Vince Gill in any way, I actually think putting the Eagles on his resume will make him better. I don't care how many records he's sold, his musicianship doesn't stand up to that of Walsh, Felder, or Frey. I think even Steuart Smith is a far better guitarist than Vince Gill. But I digress.

WalshFan88
06-27-2018, 08:15 PM
At this point I'm not surprised about Don's hypocrisy or the fact that he's gone back on his word. In fact, nothing he can do will surprise me now. Disappointing..

Freypower
06-27-2018, 09:14 PM
People freely use "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" to mean the following: "The opinion I used to hold was foolish. Therefore, if I were to be consistent in keeping to that opinion, it would be silly. It would mean I had a little mind. Thus, you can't blame me for being inconsistent in my opinion. In fact, you should applaud me for changing my opinion to something that isn't foolish! It shows I have a GREAT mind, just like the great Ralph Waldo Emerson!"

This is used by politicians to break campaign promises all the time. "I know I said that I would vote to give funds to help the poor, but my new opinion is that the money would be better used to finance the war effort, and a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

In fact, it can be used by ANYONE to justify breaking their word.

"Yes, I told you that I'd let your mother come live with us when she got sick, but my new opinion is that the arrangement's just not going to work out... no, you can't hold me to my promise, dear, because as Emerson says, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

Don Henley used it this way: "Yes, I said that to continue the Eagles without Glenn would be greedy and desperate. However, my new opinion is that it's a great idea to continue the Eagles without Glenn - and a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!"

It's disgusting how poor Emerson is abused by people when they want to go back on their word.

However, if you read "Self-Reliance" in its entirety, you see that he never meant it to be taken that way. Who's going to do that, though? Almost no one. If one is curious enough to Google it, one will only find simplistic E-notes type study sites made for students which parrot the basic interp. Who goes and reads the whole thing?

Apparently, not even Don Henley.

Wow. Thanks for explaining that so thoroughly, Soda. I am not familiar with Emerson's work at all, and when I saw the quote I thought it was one of the coldest, most heartless things anybody could say.

Freypower
06-27-2018, 09:16 PM
I may be way off the mark here, and I sincerely mean no disrespect to Deacon, but maybe for him, this is a way to avoid what is a very harsh and tragic reality, the loss of his father. By playing with his father's band, singing his father's songs, with the long hair and sunglasses like his father had in the 70s (and doesn't he have a mustache now too), he can pretend to be his father, in a sense, step into his father's shoes, and live his father's life. Then he can avoid fully processing this for a while longer. Then one day when they stop doing this, as they inevitably have to, given the age of the rest, the reality of this will hit him like a ton of bricks.

I think Don dedicated Desperado to him a couple of times. All they do now is flash up a black & white photo at the end of PEF.

chaim
06-28-2018, 05:16 AM
Don's Emerson quote also seems to be based on the assumption that consistency in itself is foolish since I don't see where the "foolish" part would have come in in this case.

EDIT:

I don't mean the actual quote, but the way Don used it.

sodascouts
06-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Don's Emerson quote also seems to be based on the assumption that consistency in itself is foolish since I don't see where the "foolish" part would have come in in this case.

Only when the consistency is based solely on a reverence for tradition, religion, conforming to the opinions of others, the opinions of the greats of the past - in other words, something that is not really in line with one's own truth. If your past opinion is based on one of these things, it is foolish. It would fit into the "pop culture" definition of the foolish consistency that one may and should change without shame. (In Don's case, is the opinion that the Eagles should end with Glenn's death applicable here? No!) On the other hand, Emerson argues one should be CONSTANT to one's truth. But people use it as an excuse to validate every change of opinion, even when they stray from their conscience, from what they know is right.... as Don did. Thus, he violates Emerson.

The FIRST part of "Self-Reliance" does lend itself to the "pop-culture" interpretation because, again, there are SOME instances where Emerson finds such a change of past opinion justifiable - when that opinion was not based on one's own truth. However, when you read beyond the opening paragraphs, you see that changing one's opinion is not universally justifiable; as I said earlier in my summary, you cannot change from your truth to an opinion that violates your conscience. Reading further, you see his real point:
"And now at last the highest truth on this subject remains unsaid; probably cannot be said; for all that we say is the far-off remembering of the intuition. That thought, by what I can now nearest approach to say it, is this. When good is near you, when you have life in yourself, it is not by any known or accustomed way; you shall not discern the foot-prints of any other; you shall not see the face of man; you shall not hear any name;—— the way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new. It shall exclude example and experience.

[...]

If we cannot at once rise to the sanctities of obedience and faith, let us at least resist our temptations; let us enter into the state of war, and wake Thor and Woden, courage and constancy, in our Saxon breasts. This is to be done in our smooth times by speaking the truth. Check this lying hospitality and lying affection. Live no longer to the expectation of these deceived and deceiving people with whom we converse."
Admittedly, there are other interpretations, and I've only pulled out a couple passages when there are far more to discuss (not that these are the only ones to support me). However, I despise it when Emerson is used to justify doing what one knows in one's heart is wrong. I do not think that was Emerson's intent. In fact, Emerson was concerned that people would think that "the bold sensualist will use the name of philosophy to gild his crimes." However, he hoped that "the law of consciousness abides" and people would follow their truth rather than use his teachings to justify betrayal and wrongdoing, to listen to those who would "tempt" us with things like money...

Honestly, overall, Emerson has a lot of problematic doctrines, and the truth is that his philosophy is really not one to live your life by in any case. But if you are going to tout him as your inspiration, be aware of his larger point.

chaim
06-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Only when the consistency is based solely on a reverence for tradition, religion, conforming to the opinions of others, the opinions of the greats of the past - in other words, something that is not really in line with one's own truth. If your past opinion is based on one of these things, it is foolish. It would fit into the "pop culture" definition of the foolish consistency that one may and should change without shame. On the other hand, Emerson argues one should be CONSTANT to our truth. But people use it as an excuse to validate every change of opinion, even when they stray from their conscience, from what they know is right.
The FIRST part of "Self-Reliance" does lend itself to the "pop-culture" interpretation because, again, there are SOME instances where Emerson finds such a change of past opinion justifiable - when that opinion was not based on one's own truth. However, when you read beyond the opening paragraphs, you see that changing one's opinion is not universally justifiable; as I said earlier in my summary, you cannot change from your truth to an opinion that violates conscience. Reading further, you see his real point:
"And now at last the highest truth on this subject remains unsaid; probably cannot be said; for all that we say is the far-off remembering of the intuition. That thought, by what I can now nearest approach to say it, is this. When good is near you, when you have life in yourself, it is not by any known or accustomed way; you shall not discern the foot-prints of any other; you shall not see the face of man; you shall not hear any name;—— the way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new. It shall exclude example and experience.

[...]

If we cannot at once rise to the sanctities of obedience and faith, let us at least resist our temptations; let us enter into the state of war, and wake Thor and Woden, courage and constancy, in our Saxon breasts. This is to be done in our smooth times by speaking the truth. Check this lying hospitality and lying affection. Live no longer to the expectation of these deceived and deceiving people with whom we converse."
Admittedly, there are other interpretations, but I despise it when Emerson is used to justify doing what one knows in one's heart is wrong. I do not think that was Emerson's intent. In fact, Emerson was concerned that people would think that "the bold sensualist will use the name of philosophy to gild his crimes." However, he hoped that "the law of consciousness abides" and people would follow their truth rather than use his teachings that way.

Honestly, overall, Emerson has a lot of problematic doctrines, and the truth is that his philosophy is really not one to live your life by in any case. But if you are going to tout him as your inspiration, be aware of his larger point.

Sorry I didn't mean the actual quote, but the way Don used it. Once again I couldn't find the right words in English to say exactly what I had in mind, and what I finally came up with says something else.

sodascouts
06-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Sorry I didn't mean the actual quote, but the way Don used it. Once again I couldn't find the words to say exactly what I had in mind, and what I finally came up with says something else.

No, it's a good thing, because anyone can CLAIM an interpretation is valid. Since the first part of the essay lends itself to the pop culture interpretation, and most people do not read beyond the opening, it is good for me to demonstrate the proofs of my interpretation.

Don's using it to say that his initial opinion that the Eagles should end with Glenn was foolish. His new opinion is the true one. He now rejects - will no longer be consistent to - his "foolish" opinion. Simplistic, pop-culture usage.

carol7lynn
06-28-2018, 05:49 PM
Well I just find it hard to believe that it's still about the healing process for Deacon.

It's not. It's about "living in the limelight..the universal dream," and earning, to quote Jessie Pinkman, "fat stacks," while "slouching to Bethleham," making sure to by-pass Eden along the way knocking back "pink champagne on ice.....(as they) dance to forget!"

Deacon needs to break away and get on with his "search," to avoid the pitfalls of "Wasted Time."

Freypower
06-28-2018, 07:06 PM
It's not. It's about "living in the limelight..the universal dream," and earning, to quote Jessie Pinkman, "fat stacks," while "slouching to Bethleham," making sure to by-pass Eden along the way knocking back "pink champagne on ice.....(as they) dance to forget!"

Deacon needs to break away and get on with his "search," to avoid the pitfalls of "Wasted Time."

I don't know if you're aware but 'slouching to(wards) Bethlehem' is from my favourite poem, Yeats' The Second Coming. It's a bit more apocalyptic than the way it seems to be used here. But your point is well made.

Haven't we gone literary all of a sudden? Good Thing. :nod:

Freypower
06-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Only when the consistency is based solely on a reverence for tradition, religion, conforming to the opinions of others, the opinions of the greats of the past - in other words, something that is not really in line with one's own truth. If your past opinion is based on one of these things, it is foolish. It would fit into the "pop culture" definition of the foolish consistency that one may and should change without shame. (In Don's case, is the opinion that the Eagles should end with Glenn's death applicable here? No!) On the other hand, Emerson argues one should be CONSTANT to one's truth. But people use it as an excuse to validate every change of opinion, even when they stray from their conscience, from what they know is right.... as Don did. Thus, he violates Emerson.

The FIRST part of "Self-Reliance" does lend itself to the "pop-culture" interpretation because, again, there are SOME instances where Emerson finds such a change of past opinion justifiable - when that opinion was not based on one's own truth. However, when you read beyond the opening paragraphs, you see that changing one's opinion is not universally justifiable; as I said earlier in my summary, you cannot change from your truth to an opinion that violates your conscience. Reading further, you see his real point:

[...]

Admittedly, there are other interpretations, and I've only pulled out a couple passages when there are far more to discuss (not that these are the only ones to support me). However, I despise it when Emerson is used to justify doing what one knows in one's heart is wrong. I do not think that was Emerson's intent. In fact, Emerson was concerned that people would think that "the bold sensualist will use the name of philosophy to gild his crimes." However, he hoped that "the law of consciousness abides" and people would follow their truth rather than use his teachings to justify betrayal and wrongdoing, to listen to those who would "tempt" us with things like money...

That speaks to me. It seems particularly appropriate for this situation & Don Henley's actual actions as opposed to what he believes he has done.

Dawn
06-28-2018, 09:50 PM
I must admit I had no idea anyone really cared when I expressed my opinion of Henley's quote ... one word pfffft ... Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and feelings, it has been very interesting.

Regarding the idea of the brand possibly taking up residency in Vegas -- this in and of itself would not surprise me. Vegas is much less rigorous than a North American tour and they can charge a premium price for show tickets.

At some point Vince Gill may want to return to doing his own thing but let's face it, the money ain't half bad and either is the glory ride.

WalshFan88
06-28-2018, 10:14 PM

Well said.

CAinOH
06-30-2018, 10:46 PM
Vince Gill isn't waiting for the end of the tour to return to his own touring. Was sitting here tonight, and a commercial came on for the Fraze Pavillion (local outdoor concert venue). Vince Gill is playing a solo concert there on August 13th.

Problem? Sheesh... "Vince Gill has been travelling with the legendary Eagles, but on August 13th he's all by himself." And in the background? Vince Gill singing PEF.

WalshFan88
07-01-2018, 02:06 AM
Vince Gill isn't waiting for the end of the tour to return to his own touring. Was sitting here tonight, and a commercial came on for the Fraze Pavillion (local outdoor concert venue). Vince Gill is playing a solo concert there on August 13th.

Problem? Sheesh... "Vince Gill has been travelling with the legendary Eagles, but on August 13th he's all by himself." And in the background? Vince Gill singing PEF.

He's definitely using the Eagles name to make himself look better and bigger and more desirable. "Look, I'm an Eagle now - all you naysayers come see me!"

Ugh..

chaim
07-01-2018, 06:13 AM
I'd like to think that at least he won't be playing Glenn Frey songs in his solo shows from now on!

sodascouts
07-01-2018, 09:16 PM
I'd like to think that at least he won't be playing Glenn Frey songs in his solo shows from now on!

If he's advertising his shows with "Peaceful Easy Feeling" - who's to say he won't cover at least one Eagles tune during his show now? I wouldn't be surprised.

Dawn
07-01-2018, 10:57 PM
When I consider what is happening to the legacy of this iconic band since that fateful moment when Henley and others gave the thumbs up to continuing without Glenn Frey - I feel a combination of sadness and disgust.

Like Soda, I will not be surprised if Gill covers any Eagles songs in his solo shows. In fact, I would be more surprised if he didn't.

And so it goes.

New Kid In Town
07-01-2018, 11:15 PM
When I consider what is happening to the legacy of this iconic band since that fateful moment when Henley and others gave the thumbs up to continuing without Glenn Frey - I feel a combination of sadness and disgust.

Like Soda, I will not be surprised if Gill covers any Eagles songs in his solo shows. In fact, I would be more surprised if he didn't.

And so it goes.

Dawn, I agree. I can't imagine him not doing at least one Eagles song now that he is supposedly a member of the group. My vote is for PEF.

CAinOH
07-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Well, PEF is already out there. It was part of the commercial.

I'm not planning on buying tickets to find out. Although tickets are only $55, that's a big drop from Eagles prices.

chaim
07-02-2018, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure if I'd mind one Eagles song, but several would certainly send a strong "I'm part of the Eagles legacy" message IMO.

Freypower
07-02-2018, 06:46 PM
He has probably also given been permission to play the songs. They are 'his' songs now, he thinks.

I would hope he might at some stage get tired of playing someone else's music night after night.

sodascouts
07-02-2018, 07:08 PM
On a related note....

Dave Grohl discusses replacing Neil Peart as Rush' drummer (https://tonedeaf.com.au/dave-grohl-discusses-replacing-neil-peart/)

Earlier this year, Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson revealed that after 41 years, the band was “basically done” (https://tonedeaf.com.au/rush-alex-lifeson-band-done/), noting that the group had been slowing down since 2015 when legendary drummer Neil Peart announced his retirement from touring (http://www.jambase.com/article/rush-drummer-neil-peart-considers-himself-retired).

“It’s been a little over two years since Rush last toured,” explained Lifeson in January. “We have no plans to tour or record any more. We’re basically done. After 41 years, we felt it was enough.”

Now, in a recent interview with Rolling Stone (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/dave-grohl-on-the-foo-fighters-tour-classic-rock-retirements-and-lost-nirvana-reunion-footage-w522122), Dave Grohl was asked a hypothetical question about whether he would replace Neil Peart as the drummer of Rush if the group’s remaining members ever approached him about the possibility.

“I would say, ‘I’m not physically or musically capable, but thanks for the offer’,” Dave explained. “Neil Peart, that’s a whole other animal, another species of drummer. I know the arrangements, but I’m like Meg White to Neil Peart."

Dave Grohl is being really modest here - he is totally physically and musically capable, but he has too much respect for his hero. Even if Rush asked, he'd say no. That's a real fan.

StephUK
07-02-2018, 08:58 PM
He has probably also given been permission to play the songs. They are 'his' songs now, he thinks.

I would hope he might at some stage get tired of playing someone else's music night after night.

We're told that Vince Gill isn't an 'Eagle', and hasn't replaced Glenn, so why is he performing his own songs as part of the Eagles shows? :thumbsdown:

BTW, I hadn't even heard of him until he appeared on Cass County. He might be well known in Nashville, but in the UK (and probably most of the world) he's an unknown, so he could never fill Glenn's shoes. To me he's just another hired hand.

Maybe they should have just asked one of their other hired hands to sing Glenn's songs - that would have been somewhat more 'ethical' than bringing in Gill. It would have been no more of a tribute band than it is now, and they could have saved some of that money they're so fond of!:laugh:

It's true that Glenn said the Eagles were a business, but so is any band as it's how they earn their living, and they employ people etc. It has to be run as a business or it would be chaos. However, writing songs and playing music & singing is as an art, so you'd expect some artistic integrity.

Freypower
07-02-2018, 11:12 PM
With respect to Will & the other backing musicians that is what they are - backing musicians. They are not 'personalities' or 'names' in any sense. Also presumably they chose to be backing musicians for a reason. A 'name' was needed in addition to Deacon Frey to try & make this thing saleable.

But you are absolutely right about Gill's profile in the rest of the world. He is unknown here too. I would hope if they attempt to come down here, they will be met with indifference, low ticket sales, and cancellation due to 'scheduling conflicts'. It happened to Barry Gibb. It can happen to them. Of course there is as yet no indication that they plan to take the circus outside the US.

chaim
07-03-2018, 06:56 AM
Eagles music has existed without Vince Gill for almost 45 years or something. It's very strange if people now go to to a Vince Gill concert to hear the Eagles hits.

WKMB55
07-03-2018, 09:31 AM
I can't really explain why I feel this way......I don't wish any of the 60's or 70's bands still touring with only one or maybe even no original members to enjoy enormous wealth, but I also don't wish for them to fail miserably either. What I do wish for is that some day soon wisdom and integrity will prevail.

StephUK
07-04-2018, 04:13 PM
With respect to Will & the other backing musicians that is what they are - backing musicians. They are not 'personalities' or 'names' in any sense. Also presumably they chose to be backing musicians for a reason. A 'name' was needed in addition to Deacon Frey to try & make this thing saleable.

But you are absolutely right about Gill's profile in the rest of the world. He is unknown here too. I would hope if they attempt to come down here, they will be met with indifference, low ticket sales, and cancellation due to 'scheduling conflicts'. It happened to Barry Gibb. It can happen to them. Of course there is as yet no indication that they plan to take the circus outside the US.

My comment about using the support musicians was 'tongue in check'. It was intended to show my feelings about them trying to carry on without Glenn, largely for the sake of money.
You are, of course, quite right about the 'backing musicians'. They chose their career, are respected for what they do, but are not 'names'.

p.s. Freypower, I know you wouldn't be disrespectful about Will in a reply to me :lol::lol::lol:

Freypower
07-04-2018, 07:02 PM
My comment about using the support musicians was 'tongue in check'. It was intended to show my feelings about them trying to carry on without Glenn, largely for the sake of money.
You are, of course, quite right about the 'backing musicians'. They chose their career, are respected for what they do, but are not 'names'.

p.s. Freypower, I know you wouldn't be disrespectful about Will in a reply to me :lol::lol::lol:

English understatement. I should have realised. ;)

carol7lynn
07-05-2018, 12:10 AM
I don't know if you're aware but 'slouching to(wards) Bethlehem' is from my favourite poem, Yeats' The Second Coming. It's a bit more apocalyptic than the way it seems to be used here. But your point is well made.

Haven't we gone literary all of a sudden? Good Thing. :nod:

Just slingin' the slang,
And, bringin' the bang!

Stay Tuned!
:computer:

CarolC
The OG

StephUK
07-05-2018, 05:51 PM

I'm totally with you WalshFan88.

sodascouts
07-05-2018, 07:09 PM
I know! 5 years ago, could you ever imagine a scenario where over-the-hill country singer Vince Gill would be a member of the "Eagles", where they would be dropping real Eagles songs so they could play his solo numbers... it's so cringe-worthy. Glenn would probably be appalled.

But this is "Don Henley's 'Eagles'" now, and he calls the shots.

In Don Henley's Eagles, Vince Gill gets treated with more respect than Timothy, whose solo career has been completely ignored.

In Don Henley's Eagles, real Eagles songs are shoved aside to give Don's buddy the opportunity to promote his solo career and maybe sell a few more records as a result of his "good fortune" to become an "Eagle."

In Don Henley's Eagles, Vince Gill is considered an acceptable substitute for Glenn Frey. And in the end, that is the real sticking point. However, it must be nice for Don to have "replacements" he can completely control.

Because in Don Henley's Eagles, obviously, he is the boss.

#NoGlennNoEagles

Freypower
07-05-2018, 07:28 PM
In Don Henley's Eagles real Eagles songs are shoved aside in favour of songs with 'local' appeal like Tulsa Time & Walking To New Orleans. Glorified karaoke.

sodascouts
07-05-2018, 08:44 PM
In Don Henley's Eagles real Eagles songs are shoved aside in favour of songs with 'local' appeal like Tulsa Time & Walking To New Orleans. Glorified karaoke.

Well... I have to admit something....

I actually find the idea of them doing a special song for each city kind of cool. :blush:

But one clever (IMHO) idea does not justify this abomination of a tour.

WalshFan88
07-05-2018, 09:18 PM
I watched a recent video of Vince doing a solo song with the Eagles for about 10 seconds. He explicitly states "I asked if we could do a hillbilly song and this is what we chose". And by hillbilly song, they mean his brand of country music.

So now he's brazen enough to ask a legendary band with their own great (and IMO way superior) songs to start including his soft country crooner lounge music in their setlist. It cheapens it even further. At this rate, the Eagles will just become a generic country-rock band. They were meant to rock, not twang.

Vince Gill has no business being in the Eagles, and I don't care if Glenn was friends with him. I doubt he'd be ok with this. Vince Gill needs the Eagles. Not the other way around. I'm sure he kissed the ground when he got the call from Don.

CAinOH
07-05-2018, 09:21 PM
I'm sure he kissed the ground when he got the call from Don.

You think that's the only think he kissed?

Freypower
07-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Well... I have to admit something....

I actually find them doing a special song for each city kind of cool. :blush:

But one clever (IMHO) idea does not justify this abomination of a tour.

It would have been a clever idea with the real band.

sodascouts
07-05-2018, 11:17 PM
It would have been a clever idea with the real band.

So true. Nothing these guys do counts.

chaim
07-06-2018, 03:20 AM
Are the "local" numbers always sung by Don and Vince?

WalshFan88
07-06-2018, 04:10 AM
You think that's the only think he kissed?

Oh I'm sure there was some hind kissing as well. Though from the sounds of it, Don wanted him in the band and made the first move. Who knows. But he's definitely going to kiss it now that he's got in so that it doesn't slip away!

chaim
07-06-2018, 04:31 AM
I thought it started when Vince's management sent the Eagles a message that he was interested. Of course that didn't start it on a practical level, but would Don have thought of asking Vince if he hadn't done that?

WalshFan88
07-06-2018, 05:15 AM
I thought it started when Vince's management sent the Eagles a message that he was interested. Of course that didn't start it on a practical level, but would Don have thought of asking Vince if he hadn't done that?

Interesting. I have no problem believing that to be true. I thought I heard something like Don was impressed with Vince singing Heartache Tonight at the KCH and wanted him to join. But I can totally believe that he would put his own name in the hat. He's not near as humble as some make him out to be.

chaim
07-06-2018, 05:44 AM
Interesting. I have no problem believing that to be true. I thought I heard something like Don was impressed with Vince singing Heartache Tonight at the KCH and wanted him to join. But I can totally believe that he would put his own name in the hat. He's not near as humble as some make him out to be.

I don't remember which interview it was, but he said that he sent a message through his management, offering his services (not his exact words). I think he also said that he didn't do it seriously and wasn't expecting anything. Someone please correct me if my recollection is incorrect.

As for humbleness, I don't know Vince Gill, but IMO it's not difficult to act humble in front of strangers.

Brooke
07-06-2018, 03:06 PM
I know! 5 years ago, could you ever imagine a scenario where over-the-hill country singer Vince Gill would be a member of the "Eagles", where they would be dropping real Eagles songs so they could play his solo numbers... it's so cringe-worthy. Glenn would probably be appalled.

But this is "Don Henley's 'Eagles'" now, and he calls the shots.

In Don Henley's Eagles, Vince Gill gets treated with more respect than Timothy, whose solo career has been completely ignored.

In Don Henley's Eagles, real Eagles songs are shoved aside to give Don's buddy the opportunity to promote his solo career and maybe sell a few more records as a result of his "good fortune" to become an "Eagle."

In Don Henley's Eagles, Vince Gill is considered an acceptable substitute for Glenn Frey. And in the end, that is the real sticking point. However, it must be nice for Don to have "replacements" he can completely control.

Because in Don Henley's Eagles, obviously, he is the boss.

#NoGlennNoEagles

OMG! I haven't read any reviews and did not know this is happening! It makes me sick! And I've always liked Vince Gill! But this should not be happening!..............................Poor Timothy too!

It makes me really sad they have done this to the band I once loved.....I don't even know what else to say. :cry:

WKMB55
07-06-2018, 05:32 PM
I like them doing a song for each city too. I would have liked it prior to Glenn's death as well. I think it is a clever idea whoever thought of it. I'm hoping that at the Sacremento show Timothy will get to sing his song "White Boy From Sacremento" but I doubt that will happen. So much has changed.............The absence of Glenn's leadership is definitely noticeable.

CAinOH
07-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Oh I'm sure there was some hind kissing as well. Though from the sounds of it, Don wanted him in the band and made the first move. Who knows. But he's definitely going to kiss it now that he's got in so that it doesn't slip away!

What really surprised me about the commercial for the Vince Gill concert is that I was wondering: Hasn't this guy built up a fan base of his own? So, is he totally dumping that fan base to be an "Eagle"? What does his fan base think?

Guess I really don't care. I was more shocked with the total alignment of his "new career" with that commercial.

Lobster Bat Ears
07-06-2018, 06:19 PM
That is probable. But what I really wonder is about how Cindy feels about all this touring?

https://wtop.com/music/2018/05/glenn-freys-family-keeps-legacy-alive-with-tour-box-set/

Dawn
07-06-2018, 07:53 PM
I am not at all surprised at the family endorsement.

sodascouts
07-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Yeah, she's down with it. I'm not surprised either. Lots of moms want their kid to have the easiest road possible when it comes to their career path.

Lobster Bat Ears
07-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Yeah, she's down with it. I'm not surprised either. Lots of moms want their kid to have the easiest road possible when it comes to their career path.

Ouch. How about giving her the benefit of the doubt that she might've actually meant what she said.

I'll be honest I wasn't keen on the idea of a tour as much as many here and didn't even go see them when they came through town a couple months back but after reading Cindy's comments I thought who am I to say what is right for Glenn's wife, son and daughter to do? Who do I think I am?

Who better to know what Glenn would've wanted than his wife and kids? Like it or not we're not family. We're fans who think we know what they think and feel. How pompous.

Read again what she said. If it's healing for them I wish them all the best and am thrilled that Deacon has this wonderful opportunity.

Quote:

"It's hard to get beyond the sad part of, the longing of missing Glenn. But in a deep sort of weird way, it’s a way of healing and living through grief for our family Frey said in an interview with The Associated Press.

“It’s a family reunion for all of us and we’re all doing it together. I don’t know that there’d be anything else we could do that’d make us move through our grief in this way. As painful as it is at times, it’s also deeply healing and comforting. It sort of makes us feel closer.”

“Like, somehow we’re holding him even closer in some sort of strange weird way,” she continued.

sodascouts
07-06-2018, 08:31 PM
This thread was created so we wouldn't have to deal with people like you coming in here and calling us "pompous" and telling us how terrible we are for being against this.

You're happy? Great. Go celebrate somewhere else.

This thread is For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles.

ETA: Where was the copy editor for that piece? Asleep on the job?

Freypower
07-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Are the "local" numbers always sung by Don and Vince?

To be fair there have only been two (to date). I don't know who sung Tulsa Time. I believe Walking To New Orleans was sung by Henley, Walsh & Schmit, one verse each.

ETA: Apparently Gill sang Tulsa Time, because he's from the state.

sodascouts
07-06-2018, 09:00 PM
I don't remember which interview it was, but he said that he sent a message through his management, offering his services (not his literal words). I think he also said that he didn't do it seriously and wasn't expecting anything. Someone please correct me if my recollection is incorrect.

I had not heard that. I'd assumed Don had called Vince. Wow. What presumption, not to mention a lack of respect. "Hey, not sure if you're going to put the Eagles back together, but just in case, I think I'd make a great replacement for Glenn Frey!"

Freypower
07-06-2018, 09:08 PM
I like them doing a song for each city too. I would have liked it prior to Glenn's death as well. I think it is a clever idea whoever thought of it. I'm hoping that at the Sacremento show Timothy will get to sing his song "White Boy From Sacremento" but I doubt that will happen. So much has changed.............The absence of Glenn's leadership is definitely noticeable.

Having 'clever' ideas has never extended to letting Timothy Schmit sing a song of his own.

Imagine... if they came down here they could cover Men At Work's Down Under. How nice that would be. :yuck::yawn::unimpressed:

I mean where does it end. This isn't about innovation. It's about desperation. I would also argue that doing these cover versions is pushing Glenn's legacy even further into the background.

WalshFan88
07-07-2018, 01:11 AM
This thread was created so we wouldn't have to deal with people like you coming in here and calling us "pompous" and telling us how terrible we are for being against this.

You're happy? Great. Go celebrate somewhere else.

This thread is For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles.

ETA: Where was the copy editor for that piece? Asleep on the job?

Well said. Please leave LBE.

Dawn
07-07-2018, 01:20 AM
Having 'clever' ideas has never extended to letting Timothy Schmit sing a song of his own.

Imagine... if they came down here they could cover Men At Work's Down Under. How nice that would be. :yuck::yawn::unimpressed:

I mean where does it end. This isn't about innovation. It's about desperation. I would also argue that doing these cover versions is pushing Glenn's legacy even further into the background.

Very good question ... Where does it end?

WalshFan88
07-07-2018, 01:21 AM
Who better to know what Glenn would've wanted than his wife and kids? Like it or not we're not family. We're fans who think we know what they think and feel. How pompous.

I completely disagree, LBE.

In fact, I think it's ridiculous that you are insinuating that it's "pompous" and it's borderline offensive honestly. We are allowed our thoughts here, and we are entitled to them. If you disagree, go join in one of the tour threads or anticipation threads where you can go celebrate with like-minded people and leave us alone.

The family could have been tempted and manipulated by the money on the table AND as Soda said, an easy (too easy IMO) path for Deacon to take. And who's to say if Glenn even voiced his thoughts to them. Or maybe he would be rolling in his grave after seeing what has taken place. Maybe they should have thought about it longer and given it some more time. And maybe they should have told Irving Azoff and Donald Henley to forget it. Or at least not apparently jumping at the chance to make lots of money off their husband's/dad's name and offer a cheapened experience that waters down the Eagles name and charge the same or more money for the said cheapened borderline-fradulent show. To me this all reeks of the temptation of $ overtaking doing what's right or just thinking clearly.

So if you don't like our posts here, there are other threads in which you can enjoy the new "Eagles" or maybe start your own "New Eagles" fan message board.

sodascouts
07-07-2018, 01:56 AM
Look, I don't want to be harsh. I know they are hurting and I feel bad for them. I hope they can find a healthy way to work through it.

But the legitimacy of continuing the Eagles without Glenn never hinged upon whether or not they approved of it.

Why not? Because this isn't about them. This is about the Eagles - what the Eagles are, what really defines them - this is about whether or not that definition needs to includes Glenn.

This is about what defines the Eagles' music. This is about what defines the Eagles' legacy.

And that is what determines the legitimacy of the band that is calling itself the Eagles... or determines the lack of it.

Without Glenn, that band cannot be defined as the Eagles.

Simple as that.

#NoGlennNoEagles

sodascouts
07-07-2018, 02:06 AM
I would also argue that doing these cover versions is pushing Glenn's legacy even further into the background.

Well, certainly, with every Vince Gill song they add, they take the "Eagles" further away from the band Glenn envisioned.

WinslowCorner
07-07-2018, 03:10 AM
Don and Glenn always held the position that it was all about "song power" as the qualifier to sing on and earn a spot for a song(s) on an Eagles record. Remember the comment "it has to meet band standards" by Don. This facisimile of the Eagles seems counter to those very "standards" set forth and enforced by Don and Glenn. Their obsession to perfection delivered with passion and mutual respect, only elevated their mystique and enhanced the magical formula that millions of fans worldwide gravitated to.

As only Don could say, of Glenn, "he did what he set out to do, and then some". This doesn't feel like something that Glenn, who was known for" not taking shit from anybody", would embrace.

I completely respect Glenn's family for their opinion, they're absolutely entitled to it. Their loss is their's to bear, completely, without question.

This newest invention of the band is merely for monetary gain. The members are entitled to it, its what they do. Pretend to be the Eagles once again.

Paraphrasing Jackson Browne, who so eloquently sings. "Caught between the longing for love and the struggle for the legal tender...He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there..Out into the cool of the evening strolls the Pretender"

#NotMYEagles

chaim
07-07-2018, 04:21 AM
I think several people here (in this thread) have said before that even if Cindy fully supports this, it isn't the Eagles. I agree. So arguing about that is pointless in this thread. But the link to the interview was posted, because somebody wondered how Cindy feels about it, and that's fine.

chaim
07-07-2018, 05:32 AM
In this interview Vince says that the OTHER guys have tried to get him to sing his solo stuff and that he's hesitant to do it. Maybe we shouldn't blame him for that.

So asking him to join was a smart move from the Eagles as it might take them "back to an honest place". :dizzy: I wasn't even aware that the Eagles was supposed to be pure country. But good to know that with him the Eagles music sounds more honest than with Glenn. He probably didn't mean that it was less honest when Glenn was alive, but that's how the words sound.

https://www.google.fi/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/kevin-johnson/vince-gill-says-joining-the-eagles-makes-perfect-sense/article_dcaa4c0f-9deb-5b87-84c2-7d9f18f3857b.amp.html

I've tried to find the interview where he said he sent a message to the Eagles. Haven't found it, but I found one where he only refers to his "interest".

WalshFan88
07-07-2018, 07:25 AM
Two things I take from that interview.

1) Maybe it wasn't him pushing to do solo songs. Still, it's a bad idea.

2) Man, does he come across as a raging airhead or what?!

"A more honest place". That just makes me sick. Really Vince? Glenn wanted the Eagles to MOVE ON from soft country music, he never would have wanted to go back to a "more honest" place of country music. He was a rocker from day one, not a country musician. Sure, they started out doing soft country/country rock but I think the guys did that to start because that's who they were hanging around. They wanted to be the Stones, not the Byrds anymore. He and the guys were sick of that by the time of, oh say, One Of These Nights. Hence why Joe joined and Bernie left right after that album was made. Vince is so stuck on his traditional country music that he thinks for the Eagles to be great they need to do classic country music again. I HATE country music, classic/traditional country that is. That soft country crooner stuff is nauseating to me. If the Eagles had continued on with the Desperado-era outlaw country stylings, I never would have been a fan of this band. Thank god for Hotel California and The Long Run! I like On The Border and One Of These Nights too, for the more rockier or RNB stuff with Felder instead of Bernie.

chaim
07-07-2018, 07:50 AM
I still love the countryish side of the Eagles, but I think it's more interesting when it's their interpretation of the genre, not 100% pure or "honest" country. Part of the appeal of Lyin' Eyes for me is that it wasn't sung by a "honest" country singer. It was Glenn Frey with his unique voice doing a countryish song.

Glenn's slide playing at the end of Midnight Flyer probably wasn't totally "honest" in that genre, but that's what makes it different.

Lobster Bat Ears
07-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Well apparently I'm off to a wonderful start here. Been lurking and getting my Eagles news here now for several years. I didn't know that there was a specific purpose behind this thread. Didn't intend to crash the party...

Someone a few pages back asked if anyone knew what Cindy thought about it and I recalled the interview and posted it. I shared how that interview changed my thoughts on the matter. I passed seeing them this tour (and I honestly think the chances of seeing them are fading more by the day) but she used the word healing several times. That hit me.

I'm a musician who was taught by my dad and after he passed years ago every time I pick up the guitar I think of him. With my other favorite band Zeppelin, I can really relate to Jason wanting to carry on his fathers legacy. So to me if this is healing for Deacon (and family) then I'm absolutely thrilled for him. I can understand what its like to lose a dad who had that influence on you. Toughest thing I ever went through and can only imagine what it was like for the family with someone as amazing and influential as Glenn was not just to them but to me and countless others.

Didn't mean to offend anyone and I'll kindly exit this thread. Really enjoy the board (soda do you run it?) and I look forward to finally participating....if you'll have me.

chaim
07-07-2018, 08:28 AM
IMO there was nothing wrong with you posting that link as a response. What you wrote after that is something we've been through countless times in this thread. Over and over again someone has said the same things to us. I think people have now accepted that this one thread is a place where we can rave and rant in peace, so to speak, without having to justify ourselves over and over again. If you accept this and act accordingly there should be no hard feelings. You are new here and didn't know. Welcome, by the way!

Dawn
07-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Regarding Gill. Isn't it obvious?

Two words.

Don Henley.

Cass County.

Glenn Frey has no place in the band anymore. This is not the Eagles.

It is the Don Henley show.

CAinOH
07-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Glenn Frey has no place in the band anymore. This is not the Eagles.

It is the Don Henley show.

Exactly.

Dawn
07-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Isn't it also obvious what this is all really about?

This is a mega tour of 50 plus concerts launched after Azoff's version of Desert Trip 2016 called Classic East/West tested the waters with the addition of Deacon Frey and Vince Gill to compensate for the loss of Glenn Frey.

The Eagles is a brand.

Touring is a business.

There is no new material.

It's the same songs they have been doing for years with some Vince Gill stuff thrown in the mix.

Dawn
07-07-2018, 12:01 PM
I still love the countryish side of the Eagles, but I think it's more interesting when it's their interpretation of the genre, not 100% pure or "honest" country. Part of the appeal of Lyin' Eyes for me is that it wasn't sung by a "honest" country singer. It was Glenn Frey with his unique voice doing a countryish song.

Glenn's slide playing at the end of Midnight Flyer probably wasn't totally "honest" in that genre, but that's what makes it different.

Well said. I think the Eagles evolved over time and adding Don Felder and Joe Walsh was a genius move. I hate that Randy and Bernie left the band they were so very talented and an absolute blast to see in concert.

Dawn
07-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Touring is also a lifestyle in and of itself and I have to wonder how much thought has been given to what happens when it all ends because eventually it will.

chaim
07-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Touring is also a lifestyle in and of itself and I have to wonder how much thought has been given to what happens when it all ends because eventually it will.

Have there ever been long gaps in their touring? I've never followed their solo careers except for Glenn.

tbsfan
07-07-2018, 01:57 PM

White Boy From Sacramento would take Timothy out of that ballad box the band has him trapped in and we can't have that. :rolleyes:

Vince said in an interview (can't remember which) that he thought Timothy should sing more. Since he seems to have Henley's ear more than the two actual Eagles, maybe he should suggest that to him if he really believes that. [/sarcasm]

I was a huge fan of Vince's for years. He is a great songwriter, singer and guitarist. Not so much anymore with the fandom though. :shrug:

Dawn
07-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Have there ever been long gaps in their touring? I've never followed their solo careers except for Glenn.

I am thinking more about Deacon and Taylor. While I can appreciate the idea that being on tour is "healing" it is a style of living that takes some adjusting to when it's over. They are young making a very good living from an experience few people their age can relate to. Wives also face the dilemna of tours ending.

Dawn
07-07-2018, 03:22 PM
White Boy From Sacramento would take Timothy out of that ballad box the band has him trapped in and we can't have that. :rolleyes:

Vince said in an interview (can't remember which) that he thought Timothy should sing more. Since he seems to have Henley's ear more than the two actual Eagles, maybe he should suggest that to him if he really believes that. [/sarcasm]

I was a huge fan of Vince's for years. He is a great songwriter, singer and guitarist. Not so much anymore with the fandom though. :shrug:

I agree with you. Would love to see Timothy sing more and WBFS is a such a great song what a treat that would be.

chaim
07-07-2018, 04:47 PM
I didn't know WBFS. Just listened to it. A cool song.

carol7lynn
07-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Ok, this thread is about the legitimacy of the Eagles without Glenn, not his widow's personal life. Plus... that's really, really harsh. Shockingly so. Wow. Let's not go anywhere near there. It's just not appropriate to get personal like that.

Freedom of Speech.

I calls them as I see them just like other posters in this thread commenting on uppety Vince Gill even daring to think that he is a true Eagle-Don Henley's Eagles maybe but not the real Eagles.

I was responding to how shocking her behavior and attire appeared to me and that's that. I guess I come from a different time and place. You can agree or disagree. :fainted: Delete the post if it is a violation of posting rules and you'll get no argument from me. Just my two cents, I have no intention of dissing the miss.

I was responding to another poster's observstion on how some wives have a hard time adjusting or "healing" once they are not on the road, and in the limelight, or on the arm of a powerful star, any more. Most rock stars wives to her credit, live vicariously through their husbands to begin with, that's nothing new. And, once the husband is gone, they have no "career" to return to for self fulfillment and oftentimes live in the past, "Glory Days," because what's the alternative.

I think Felder was right, don't say anything negative or you'll get "fired." Or, to quote Stevie to LB when he corrected her grammar, "You wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan."

Stay Tuned!
CarolC

sodascouts
07-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Delete the post if it is a violation of posting rules and you'll get no argument from me. Just my two cents, I have no intention of dissing the miss.

I am going to go ahead and delete it. Thanks for understanding.

Freypower
07-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Two things I take from that interview.

1) Maybe it wasn't him pushing to do solo songs. Still, it's a bad idea.

2) Man, does he come across as a raging airhead or what?!

"A more honest place". That just makes me sick. Really Vince? Glenn wanted the Eagles to MOVE ON from soft country music, he never would have wanted to go back to a "more honest" place of country music. He was a rocker from day one, not a country musician. Sure, they started out doing soft country/country rock but I think the guys did that to start because that's who they were hanging around. They wanted to be the Stones, not the Byrds anymore. He and the guys were sick of that by the time of, oh say, One Of These Nights. Hence why Joe joined and Bernie left right after that album was made. Vince is so stuck on his traditional country music that he thinks for the Eagles to be great they need to do classic country music again. I HATE country music, classic/traditional country that is. That soft country crooner stuff is nauseating to me. If the Eagles had continued on with the Desperado-era outlaw country stylings, I never would have been a fan of this band. Thank god for Hotel California and The Long Run! I like On The Border and One Of These Nights too, for the more rockier or RNB stuff with Felder instead of Bernie.

Agreed.

I must say however, how sad it is that Henley, Walsh & Schmit are so apparently willing to accomodate the wishes of this guy.

Dawn
07-07-2018, 10:50 PM
Freedom of Speech.

I calls them as I see them just like other posters in this thread commenting on uppety Vince Gill even daring to think that he is a true Eagle-Don Henley's Eagles maybe but not the real Eagles.

I was responding to how shocking her behavior and attire appeared to me and that's that. I guess I come from a different time and place. You can agree or disagree. :fainted: Delete the post if it is a violation of posting rules and you'll get no argument from me. Just my two cents, I have no intention of dissing the miss.

I was responding to another poster's observstion on how some wives have a hard time adjusting or "healing" once they are not on the road, and in the limelight, or on the arm of a powerful star, any more. Most rock stars wives to her credit, live vicariously through their husbands to begin with, that's nothing new. And, once the husband is gone, they have no "career" to return to for self fulfillment and oftentimes live in the past, "Glory Days," because what's the alternative.

I think Felder was right, don't say anything negative or you'll get "fired." Or, to quote Stevie to LB when he corrected her grammar, "You wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan."

Stay Tuned!

CarolC

I think this would make a good thread topic. Life in the slow lane. The new normal of aging rock musicians still performing on the mega tour circuit can lead to catastrophic consequences. Case in point. Tom Petty. He felt he owed his fans all he had to give and I wish he hadn't pushed himself so hard. It has been reported those last three concerts at the Hollywood Bowl were not easy for him he was in considerable pain. At some point it has to end. And when it does and the income stream dries up and there is no more adrenaline rush from adoring fans, then what?

sodascouts
07-08-2018, 09:18 PM
All the focus on the tour is very short-sighted.

That tour, and any comfort/income derived from it, will last a few years; it's temporary. However, the tour enabled a change that will last forever. The demotion of Glenn to "inessential former member of the Eagles" is permanent.

Any benefits from that tour came at a hell of a price.

Freypower
07-08-2018, 10:38 PM
All the focus on the tour is very short-sighted.

That tour, and any comfort/income derived from it, will last a few years; it's temporary. However, the tour enabled a change that will last forever. The demotion of Glenn to "inessential former member of the Eagles" is permanent.

Any benefits from that tour came at a hell of a price.

But Soda, you're the one who says 'this too shall pass' & that in the long run (:ack:) this part of the band's history won't be remembered.

sodascouts
07-09-2018, 12:34 AM
But Soda, you're the one who says 'this too shall pass' & that in the long run (:ack:) this part of the band's history won't be remembered.

True. In terms of the public concept of the Eagles and their place in pop culture and music history, this aberrant "incarnation" will be forgotten once the touring ends. Even if they record (God forbid), it will soon slide into obscurity.

But the fact that a Glenn-less "Eagles" existed remains.

peneumbra
07-09-2018, 03:29 AM
A few words about Vince Gill (aside from his touring with Henley et.al.)

A long long time ago, Gill was in a band called Pure Prairie League. It was best known, I guess, for the single "Amy." PPL was hardly a straight-forward country band; they were very much influenced by The Flying Burritos and similar groups. Both Henley and Frey were fond of them back in the Old Days (cue the victrolas and kerosene lanterns).

And Vince Gill has pretty serious cred: Eric Clapton has performed with Gill on several significant occasions (check out his take on "Tulsa Time" with Clapton); recording-wise, Gill has been backed by some pretty heavy folks, like Leon Russell, Waddy Wachtel, and James Burton. And - oh yeah - some guy named Leadon.

Does he belong in this current lineup? Well, he's not the first person I'd pick, but there are likely reasons that we, The Great Unwashed Public, may never know. The music business is like that.

Who would I pick? Well, back around 2005 or so, there was some talk of adding another vocalist/guitar player: a person named Sheryl Crow.

What?!? A female in The Eagles? I've heard Sheryl perform Eagles songs, and she just KILLS. I used to work for her on the road, heard her perform about a thousand times, and I feel that she could probably sing anything by anybody and make it sound really good. Henley knows her pretty well (not like that! Get yer mind out of the gutter), and I've seen the two of them sing duets. Next time you see her, ask her to do "Desperado." It'll melt the wax right out of your ears...;)

chaim
07-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Well, it still wouldn't be the Eagles for me. But I gotta admit that I DO have a serious wax problem. I gotta say that I didn't have associations "like that" about Crow and Henley before you mentioned it yourself. So the wax is real, but no gutter I guess.

WalshFan88
07-09-2018, 04:56 AM

A long long time ago, Gill was in a band called Pure Prairie League. It was best known, I guess, for the single "Amy." PPL was hardly a straight-forward country band; they were very much influenced by The Flying Burritos and similar groups. Both Henley and Frey were fond of them back in the Old Days (cue the victrolas and kerosene lanterns).

And Vince Gill has pretty serious cred: Eric Clapton has performed with Gill on several significant occasions (check out his take on "Tulsa Time" with Clapton); recording-wise, Gill has been backed by some pretty heavy folks, like Leon Russell, Waddy Wachtel, and James Burton. And - oh yeah - some guy named Leadon.

Does he belong in this current lineup? Well, he's not the first person I'd pick, but there are likely reasons that we, The Great Unwashed Public, may never know. The music business is like that.

Who would I pick? Well, back around 2005 or so, there was some talk of adding another vocalist/guitar player: a person named Sheryl Crow.

What?!? A female in The Eagles? I've heard Sheryl perform Eagles songs, and she just KILLS. I used to work for her on the road, heard her perform about a thousand times, and I feel that she could probably sing anything by anybody and make it sound really good. Henley knows her pretty well (not like that! Get yer mind out of the gutter), and I've seen the two of them sing duets. Next time you see her, ask her to do "Desperado." It'll melt the wax right out of your ears...;)

I don't think I'd want her in the Eagles either but I'm a diehard Sheryl fan. Awesome singer. And for a guitarist like me, her records always have killer guitar parts. To this day one of my go to riffs to try out an echo unit is "My Favorite Mistake". I love pretty much everything she's ever done. And she has two great guitarists with in her band now - Peter Stroud and Audley Freed. Peter has played with Don Henley, Pete Droge, Sarah McLachlan, etc. And Audley had his own semi-famous southern blues/rock band called Cry Of Love that I loved, as well as playing in The Black Crowes during the period that Jimmy Page toured with them.

Dawn
07-09-2018, 09:49 AM
Sheryl is an amazing singer and musician and an excellent artist on her own. Speaking of covers of Desperado. Karen Carpenter recorded the song and her cover is still my all time favorite.

1975 https://vimeo.com/80416460

IIRC Sheryl was one of the iconic female artists performing at the HOF induction by Glenn Frey for Linda Ronstadt.

sodascouts
07-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Henley knows her pretty well (not like that! Get yer mind out of the gutter), and I've seen the two of them sing duets. Next time you see her, ask her to do "Desperado." It'll melt the wax right out of your ears...;)

Sheryl Crow used to be a backup singer for Don Henley.

Word is he made a play and failed.

But yeah, they're still good friends and I hear he's appearing on her new album.

Well, back around 2005 or so, there was some talk of adding another vocalist/guitar player: a person named Sheryl Crow.I remember back in 2005 or 2006, there was talk about Sheryl Crow joining Fleetwood Mac (http://www.undercover.fm/news/7499-sheryl-crow-almost-joined-fleetwood-mac). I think that might be what you're thinking of, instead of talk about Sheryl Crow joining the Eagles. Of course, anything's possible. :)

groupie2686
07-09-2018, 02:20 PM
I'm not a fan of Sheryl Crow, but even if I was, I would still be totally set against her joining the Eagles. No Glenn = no Eagles for me, regardless of who would be tapped to replace him.

WalshFan88
07-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Sheryl Crow used to be a backup singer for Don Henley.

Word is he made a play and failed.

Interesting. I remembered that but couldn't remember if that was Trisha Yearwood or Sheryl Crow I was remembering.

sodascouts
07-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Trisha Yearwood was never his backup singer. However, romantically... well, rumor has it that when they worked together, she was a bit more receptive to his advances. Nothing serious, though. No hard evidence for this though - just rumor. Perhaps they just were really good friends with visible chemistry who spent a lot of time together, and people got to gossiping!

sodascouts
07-09-2018, 05:49 PM
I'm not a fan of Sheryl Crow, but even if I was, I would still be totally set against her joining the Eagles. No Glenn = no Eagles for me, regardless of who would be tapped to replace him.

Exactly. It's not a difficult concept, but some people still seem to have a hard time grasping it.

WalshFan88
07-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Trisha Yearwood was never his backup singer. However, romantically... well, rumor has it that when they worked together, she was a bit more receptive to his advances. Nothing serious, though. No hard evidence for this though - just rumor. Perhaps they just were really good friends with visible chemistry who spent a lot of time together, and people got to gossiping!

Yeah I knew she wasn't a backup singer but I couldn't remember if the romantic "stuff" was Trisha or Sheryl. I knew I had heard something about it here. So he made a pass at both of them! I couldn't remember, lol.

Freypower
07-09-2018, 06:16 PM

I don't know how to put this politely.

I'm not interested in Vince Gill & his 'serious cred'. I'm not interested in why he was picked, I am also not interested in Sheryl Crow. How diluted could this thing get. Desperation time.

Peneumbra, you got upset with my response to another of your posts. I stress that I don't wish to argue with you & you are entitled to your views. Defend Gill if you must. But also please remember which thread this is.

WalshFan88
07-09-2018, 07:11 PM

I'm not interested in Vince Gill & his 'serious cred'. I'm not interested in why he was picked, I am also not interested in Sheryl Crow. How diluted could this thing get. Desperation time.

Peneumbra, you got upset with my response to another of your posts. I stress that I don't wish to argue with you & you are entitled to your views. Defend Gill if you must. But also please remember which thread this is.

Well said, FP.

Dawn
07-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Glenn Frey was in a league all his own.

That's why the term "irreplaceable" fits.

And why no matter who stands in to sing his songs looks and feels like an imposter.

chaim
07-09-2018, 07:20 PM

Agreed. And whatever reasons there were behind hiring Vince Gill, he's still a pretty lousy Eagle.

sodascouts
07-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Agreed. And whatever reasons there were behind hiring Vince Gill, he's still a pretty lousy Eagle.

There's the sticking point.

I remember line dancing to "What the Cowgirls Do" on multiple occasions during my college days at Texas A&M, so I actually had a clue who he was before this (besides Mr. Amy Grant and "man at every Nashville event"). Note: if you go clubbing in Texas, at some point, you will line dance. Don't judge. lol

However, even if it were Lindsey Buckingham, he'd been unworthy of replacing Glenn Frey. NO ONE can.

CAinOH
07-09-2018, 08:36 PM
However, even if it were Lindsey Buckingham, he'd been unworthy of replacing Glenn Frey. NO ONE can.

Not even Deacon.

And I say that because it seemed the Eagles were over and done (Henley's words) until Deacon was "discovered."

WalshFan88
07-09-2018, 11:57 PM
Vince's level of talent is certainly subjective IMO. Sure, he's had some success but I would never put it on the same level as ANY of the Eagles from 1972-2016.

Let me say this:

I would never want ANYONE to replace Glenn, but if Glenn were alive and they wanted to add somebody, as an example - Vince would never have crossed my mind as a good choice for another guy in the band at any point in those years.

He's just not Eagle material, let alone fit to try to stand in Glenn's shoes. I wouldn't want him in the band as a backup guitarist, let alone as a singer and a so-called replacement for Glenn Frey. He's just not up to that caliber IMO.

Dawn
07-10-2018, 12:06 AM
Not even Deacon.

And I say that because it seemed the Eagles were over and done (Henley's words) until Deacon was "discovered."

Especially Deacon.

WalshFan88
07-10-2018, 12:19 AM
In some ways I feel bad for Deacon...I would never want to have to be constantly compared constantly to my celebrity well-loved father, and not always in a good light. I also wouldn't want to be stuck trying to "be" him and watch my youth and freedom slip away as I try to be someone I'm not to please dad's old friends.

But, he took this gig on as an adult human being. And with that, comes everything good and bad and ugly. And therefore he has to accept all of that. He also has the right to say enough's enough, let me go be my own person with my own tastes and desires and wishes in life. Or at least I'd like to think he has that much confidence or strength to do so. So maybe he likes it. Who knows.

But what little I've heard of him, american classic rock is not his first choice in music. And as I've said many times, he should work the "circuit' like his dad did and become known and reap the benefits the old fashioned way by working towards it and not having an "in" or an easy way out. And while his own music may not be my cup of tea, I'd support it fully. I might even buy it to show said support. And who knows - maybe he wants to do something else in the arts like acting, visual artist, who knows. Or maybe he wants to be an average joe. I'm not Deacon, but I think I'd have some serious regrets when it's all said and done. Sure, maybe some happy memories playing with what were family friends, but I'd feel like I've p!ssed away a lot of years doing something that maybe wasn't my cup of tea in the first place, and getting older and now stuck with it or not having enough time to explore the word and possibilties and dreams. That's sad to me.

Dawn
07-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Personally, I am troubled by the promotion of Deacon as a Glenn Frey look and sound alike.

Dawn
07-10-2018, 11:40 AM
One example why Glenn Frey is and always will be irreplaceable. Doesn't matter what instrument he is playing or what song he is singing -- he was in a league all his own.

https://vimeo.com/209270425

sodascouts
07-10-2018, 12:42 PM
One example why Glenn Frey is and always will be irreplaceable. Doesn't matter what instrument he is playing or what song he is singing -- he was in a league all his own.

https://vimeo.com/209270425

Oh, I love that video!

To me, besides his personal talent and dynamism, what's irreplaceable is his fundamental contribution to the Eagles sound and direction. Remove that and you have a different band. You have a band whose sound and direction is controlled entirely by someone else, will be shaped into something else - and thus it should be called something else.

Why steal the brand that he and Glenn created together and put it on a different band, complete with new members? Oh, that's right, to sell tickets.

You'd get just as much healing from touring under another name, still make the songs "live" (gag) by touring under another name, still honor Glenn's memory by touring under another name (truly honor it)... but you wouldn't make as much money.

So we see what's really important... and it has nothing to do with sentiment.

CAinOH
07-10-2018, 01:27 PM

I have come to believe that Mr. Henley's loyalty, philanthropy, and ultimate concern all start with this one question: What's in it for me?

Brooke
07-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Agree, agree, agree!

A show or two with the Eagles for Deacon and that would have been alright. But when they continued and added Vince and set up a major tour? Nada, nope, not right. And having him dress and try to look like young Glenn? Kinda cute for a show or two, but after than? No way! Be yourself Deacon!

I don't think Vince fits either.

What kind of music does Deacon like anyway?

sodascouts
07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Personally, I am troubled by the promotion of Deacon as a Glenn Frey look and sound alike.

It's a genius move for them, though. I know many people who have justified going to see the faux Eagles because Deacon is there - that makes it OK because he is some kind of emotional avatar for Glenn to them. Others are hesitant to criticize the faux Eagles because Deacon is there. It also became the central narrative for their promotions; any potentially awkward questions about continuing without Glenn are redirected to the "nobility" of carrying on with Deacon.

Even now we see how people, again and again, point at Deacon to justify the removal of Glenn, going so far as to characterize those who criticize the band's decision as unfeeling solely because of his involvement! His involvement, to them, renders the continuation of the "Eagles" untouchable. No criticism allowed.

The faux Eagles must be thanking their lucky stars.

No idea. He was not a professional musician before this, and I seriously doubt he had any intention of becoming one. He played as a hobby. So they took advantage of his natural talent, gave him a lot of lessons, pushed him in front of an arena at the Classics, then took him on tour.

Look, I'm sure he's doing a great job out there. He does have talent. I'm sure people like him and are even impressed by him. He seems pretty cool. But he's not Glenn and this is not the Eagles. That's all I'm trying to say.

New Kid In Town
07-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Agree, agree, agree!

I agree too ! He likes Hip-Hop and that kind of music from what he has posted prior to all this.
Deacon studied Music Production and Engineering at a school in LA. I remember reading it on his FB page. I don't know if he graduated. Just MHO but, I think Deacon dressed the way he wanted to at those Classic Concerts. I do believe it was healing for him and maybe made him feel closer to Glenn. Don't forget, he had only just turned 23 the month after the announcement came they would do the Classic Concerts. It appears Deacon is not dressing like that anymore from pictures I have seen posted on FB. If Deacon and Cindy said "No", they would not be touring now. Don and Irving must be giving thanks everyday that Deacon is a talented kid. This whole thing was done by Don and Irving to tug at people's emotions and legitimize their getting back together.

Freypower
07-10-2018, 07:29 PM
I agree too ! He likes Hip-Hop and that kind of music from what he has posted prior to all this.
Deacon studied Music Production and Engineering at a school in LA. I remember reading it on his FB page. I don't know if he graduated. Just MHO but, I think Deacon dressed the way he wanted to at those Classic Concerts. I do believe it was healing for him and maybe made him feel closer to Glenn. Don't forget, he had only just turned 23 the month after the announcement came they would do the Classic Concerts. It appears Deacon is not dressing like that anymore from pictures I have seen posted on FB. If Deacon and Cindy said "No", they would not be touring now. Don and Irving must be giving thanks everyday that Deacon is a talented kid. This whole thing was done by Don and Irving to tug at people's emotions and legitimize their getting back together.

Once again there's the Cindy wants him to do it so that's OK & no further criticism can be made, as Soda said above. For how much longer can the 'healing' excuse be used, especially as it now appears that Gill's role is increasing & Deacon's may be decreasing (he hasn't sung on either of the cover songs they did recently, while GIll gets to do one of his own songs). Saying 'but he wants to do it' is just a polite way of calling for an end to any discussion on the subject. Also regardless of what type of clothes he wears, it's obvious that he's meant to be a clone of his father.

Why would I follow Deacon Frey's Facebook page? Until this tour he was just the son of someone I cared about & his life was no business of mine; and frankly it still isn't.

New Kid In Town
07-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Once again there's the Cindy wants him to do it so that's OK & no further criticism can be made, as Soda said above. For how much longer can the 'healing' excuse be used, especially as it now appears that Gill's role is increasing & Deacon's may be decreasing (he hasn't sung on either of the cover songs they did recently, while GIll gets to do one of his own songs). Saying 'but he wants to do it' is just a polite way of calling for an end to any discussion on the subject. Also regardless of what type of clothes he wears, it's obvious that he's meant to be a clone of his father.

Why would I follow Deacon Frey's Facebook page? Until this tour he was just the son of someone I cared about & his life was no business of mine; and frankly it still isn't.

FP - Please, don't put words in my mouth. I never said I think it is ok or I agree with this whole thing. I was just stating perhaps why Deacon made the decision he did. I have never said no criticism can be made regarding their decision. Obviously, it is what Cindy and Deacon want. Did Glenn want it - well, we will never know.
Also, I had just randomly checked Deacon's FB page 2 1/2 years ago. I am on FB but rarely post anything. I am not going to criticize someone on how long their grieving process takes. I do believe they may find this whole thing comforting so to speak, but I also believe they like the money and everything else that goes along with it. Obviously, Cindy and Deacon felt the offer was too good to say "No".

Freypower
07-10-2018, 08:36 PM
FP - Please, don't put words in my mouth. I never said I think it is ok or I agree with this whole thing. I was just stating perhaps why Deacon made the decision he did. I have never said no criticism can be made regarding their decision. Obviously, it is what Cindy and Deacon want. Did Glenn want it - well, we will never know.
Also, I had just randomly checked Deacon's FB page 2 1/2 years ago. I am on FB but rarely post anything. I am not going to criticize someone on how long their grieving process takes. I do believe they may find this whole thing comforting so to speak, but I also believe they like the money and everything else that goes along with it. Obviously, Cindy and Deacon felt the offer was too good to say "No".

No, I'm not saying you did agree with it, but those are some of the arguments which are constantly used in favour of all this.

Dawn
07-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Deacon Frey (Deacon Blues) Eagles since ‘17 // Producer // Freddie Gibbs - “Andrea” // Isaiah Rashad - “Bday”. From Instagram Profile

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/450637/Isaiah-Rashad-Deacon-Blues-Kari-Faux-Bday-Catalyst-Uzuri/

WalshFan88
07-10-2018, 11:32 PM
See, that's what I thought. This is not his music of choice. And that should be ok and he should pursue that. Or any other passion of his. Doesn't have to be music.

I'm with Dawn though, I don't agree with the fact he's being presented/made out to be his dad's replacement. I don't think it's healthy for one, and there was only one Glenn Frey. It just doesn't strike me as being ok or that it is "normal".

Not saying Deacon isn't talented. I always liked the videos of him and his dad playing and I think he IS talented. But he's not his dad and they need to quit trying to portray him as Glenn Jr and making us think it's all ok because of it.

peneumbra
07-10-2018, 11:47 PM
WORD UP

I know that this is merely a message board, and that one should not get worked up or angry at the postings of another. However.

I've had about all I can take of a certain individual who insists on writing nasty, hostile rants here. A certain individual who uses the name "Freypower."

I don't really care much if anybody reads these little things I post here or not - I write regularly for a couple of music industry publications, along with several general subscription magazines. I also work as a road manager for several touring bands, and, in general, I don't worry about what people think of me. That's just… well, that's show business.

But I will not accept the screechings of someone who has no idea of what he(or she) is talking about, is rude, and is, on top of that, a sanctimonious fool.

This person has been creating turmoil on this board since I joined, and, from the personal messages I've received, long before that. Enough of this.

For the record, I KNEW Glenn and Randy and Leadon before there was a band called Eagles. And sometimes, I read things on here that make me cringe. But I would not insult or denigrate anyone for their opinions.

So - and perhaps this will be my parting message on this board, which I've greatly enjoyed - Freypower, shut the hell up until you can behave like a reasonable and decent contributor. All in all, you're full of Vegemite.:band:

sodascouts
07-10-2018, 11:58 PM
I don't know what your problem is. Unless I missed something, she's been nothing but polite to you.

Personal attacks are against our Terms of Service.

If you wish to continue to spin tales here, you'll stop making them.

Dawn
07-11-2018, 12:27 AM
Oh, I love that video!

To me, besides his personal talent and dynamism, what's irreplaceable is his fundamental contribution to the Eagles sound and direction. Remove that and you have a different band. You have a band whose sound and direction is controlled entirely by someone else, will be shaped into something else - and thus it should be called something else.

Why steal the brand that he and Glenn created together and put it on a different band, complete with new members? Oh, that's right, to sell tickets.

You'd get just as much healing from touring under another name, still make the songs "live" (gag) by touring under another name, still honor Glenn's memory by touring under another name (truly honor it)... but you wouldn't make as much money.

Well said Soda.

And there it is, the fundamental, burning question.

"Why steal the brand that he and Glenn created together and put it on a different band, complete with new members?

Because they can.

Nothing to do with "sentiment" indeed.

peneumbra
07-11-2018, 12:39 AM
One problem, Ms. Scout, is that you seem to be unaware of the way some people on this little social society of yours also feel about Freypower. But I leave that for someone else to deal with; I have a few better things to occupy my time - like the real world of music - than to engage in this kind of bullshit.

Oh, by the way: Glenn Frey would've thought of you as a pedantic asshole.

Cheers:smokin:

sodascouts
07-11-2018, 01:06 AM
Cheers, Darling.

Looks like someone doesn't know Glenn Frey as well as he thinks he does.

chaim
07-11-2018, 02:48 AM
(Unnecessary comments removed from the begging to get straight to the point)

Freypower does have a direct way of saying things, but as far as I can remember she has never made personal attacks or called anyone names. As far as I know her direct comments tend to be about issues, not other forum members. She's also capable of apologizing. And one thing I can say for sure is that she doesn't put words in dead people's mouths (or heads) to call someone an asshole.

WalshFan88
07-11-2018, 04:25 AM
WORD UP

I know that this is merely a message board, and that one should not get worked up or angry at the postings of another. However.

I've had about all I can take of a certain individual who insists on writing nasty, hostile rants here. A certain individual who uses the name "Freypower."

I don't really care much if anybody reads these little things I post here or not - I write regularly for a couple of music industry publications, along with several general subscription magazines. I also work as a road manager for several touring bands, and, in general, I don't worry about what people think of me. That's just… well, that's show business.

But I will not accept the screechings of someone who has no idea of what he(or she) is talking about, is rude, and is, on top of that, a sanctimonious fool.

This person has been creating turmoil on this board since I joined, and, from the personal messages I've received, long before that. Enough of this.

For the record, I KNEW Glenn and Randy and Leadon before there was a band called Eagles. And sometimes, I read things on here that make me cringe. But I would not insult or denigrate anyone for their opinions.

So - and perhaps this will be my parting message on this board, which I've greatly enjoyed - Freypower, shut the hell up until you can behave like a reasonable and decent contributor. All in all, you're full of Vegemite.:band:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. ;)

FP is a wonderful contributor. And I agree with her 110% on this new "band".

WalshFan88
07-11-2018, 04:32 AM
One problem, Ms. Scout, is that you seem to be unaware of the way some people on this little social society of yours also feel about Freypower. But I leave that for someone else to deal with; I have a few better things to occupy my time - like the real world of music - than to engage in this kind of bullshit.

Cheers:smokin:

So little that you know, P.

Seriously, please leave and take the supposed naysayers with you that you are referring to that talk that way about another member behind her back like you say they do about FP. Maybe go create a message board of your own where you and your "buddies" can relish in the new Eagles and talk nasty about Borderers without having the intestinal fortitude to say it to them directly. How very weak.

peneumbra
07-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Looks like some SCHOOL TEACHER has delusions of musical competence. And you're a tad shaky on Faulkner, darling.

:unimpressed:

peneumbra
07-11-2018, 08:53 AM
It happens that I also don't like the current lineup of Eagles vol. whatever it is. But to hear a stupid, boorish, Neanderthal spout platitudes and certitudes about things she knows nothing about is not something I can pass on. So suck it up, buttercup.

And as for not letting the door to hit me on the way out?

Don't let my boot kick your sorry ass, either, amigo:evil:

UndertheWire
07-11-2018, 11:35 AM
I knew there was a reason I usually keep put of here. I feel sorry for those who are new to this board and who accidentally stray into this dangerous ground.

I understand the reason for having a thread that allowed for bashing of the Frey-free band, but unfortunately it seems to encourage people who are usually polite and reasonable to attack anyone who doesn't agree with them.

sodascouts
07-11-2018, 12:16 PM
So little that you know, P.

He has no idea. Gave me a bit of a chuckle. The Faulkner "parting shot #2" continues that trend, lol.

I understand the reason for having a thread that allowed for bashing of the Frey-free band, but unfortunately it seems to encourage people who are usually polite and reasonable to attack anyone who doesn't agree with them.

On the contrary. I think he's revealing his true self. People don't say these kind of hateful things just because of a thread. The hate is within them already. That Glenn Frey dig, despite missing the mark in my case, was one of the most vicious things ever posted on this forum. It didn't come out of nowhere.

What you've seen before is what he's like when everything is going his way. This is what he's like when he's challenged. He wasn't personally attacked, mind you. He was simply challenged.

That's when you see what kind of person someone really is, and we're seeing it now. This is the real peneumbra.

FreyFollower
07-11-2018, 12:20 PM
People on a forum aren't like those you see at work, etc. You must purposely seek them out by going to a website. If you read things you don't like---a click---and you don't have to read their opinions again. We can express our thoughts without resorting to name calling.
Such ugliness has no place here.

Dawn
07-11-2018, 12:30 PM
People on a forum aren't like those you see at work, etc. You must purposely seek them out by going to a website. If you read things you don't like---a click---and you don't have to read their opinions again. We can express our thoughts without resorting to name calling.

Very true FF thanks for helping to keep it real.

sodascouts
07-11-2018, 12:38 PM

Yes, and it's been allowed to go on long enough.

Peneumbra's first set of "final posts" contained two personal attacks. After he decided to come back and make a few more "final posts" which contained more personal attacks, he exceeded our "three strikes" rule.

Thus, as a purely symbolic gesture - because of course I'm absolutely positive he meant it this time when he said he was leaving - I'm going to ban him.

One more thing: while his stories were entertaining, as for their veracity... I point you to this thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7357), where he talks at length about how Irving Azoff was this big industry insider who made the band famous, rather than Irving becoming famous because of the band (which is well-documented). That's not the only time he's been inaccurate, but it was a pretty glaring one, since he based a whole narrative on it. Another one that springs to mind is when he talked about Longbranch Pennywhistle being Glenn Frey and Don Henley's band. That's a pretty big error, yet, as he is quick to remind us, he supposedly was Glenn's buddy back then...

In other words, enjoy his stories, but take them with a grain of salt.

Dawn
07-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Isn't it obvious some folks just have a real hard time accepting the FACT there is a legitimate reason this thread exists?

Rather than resort to personal attacks, name calling and vulgar insults, I am hoping those who disagree and will not or can not abide by even the most basic forum participation rules and boundaries will seek a more effective way to deal with their anger and hateful thoughts and feelings toward others.

sodascouts
07-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Isn't it obvious some folks just have a real hard time accepting the FACT there is a legitimate reason this thread exists?

Rather than resort to personal attacks, name calling and vulgar insults, I am hoping those who disagree and will not or can not abide by even the most basic forum participation rules and boundaries will seek a more effective way to deal with their anger and hateful thoughts and feelings toward others.

Amen! It's funny. Things only get bad in here when folks come in here to argue...

And yet this whole thread was designed to preclude arguing. That is the point of it! To eliminate conflict between camps!

Why do people who disagree come in here and seek out conflict? I don't get it.

Dawn
07-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Amen! It's funny. Things only get bad in here when folks come in here to argue...

And yet this whole thread was designed to preclude arguing. That is the point of it! To eliminate conflict between camps!

Why do people who disagree come in here and seek out conflict? I don't get it.

Me either. Again, great question!

WalshFan88
07-11-2018, 04:48 PM
And as for not letting the door to hit me on the way out?

Don't let my boot kick your sorry ass, either, amigo:evil:

Hahahahahaha.

Poor peneumbra! I don't think I have to worry about that ever happening. I doubt it'd be something you'd try after realizing the person you are talking to is a 6 foot 8 man and built to match. Something tells me you would forget ever having thought of kicking my @ss as soon as you met me. That's just a hunch though...;)

Thanks for taking out the trash, Soda!

WalshFan88
07-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Very well said Dawn.

If they don't like our dialogue here, there are plenty of other threads for them to post in and they can keep out of this one and they won't have to worry about it.

Freypower
07-11-2018, 05:20 PM
This is the PM I was sent: (NB if it isn't appropriate I will delete, but as I've seen his attacks on me in public & he has been banned, I'm not sure that it matters that much).

You not only have a big mouth - you know little to nothing about Glenn Frey, or anyone else involved in this band.

I KNEW Glenn Frey. Worked with him and the others for years. You are simply a mean-mouthed "fan" (from a foreign country, no less) who loves to cause trouble.

I don't really care what you say to anybody else; that's between you and them (although I'm sure you're one of those cowardly fools that hide behind your on-line anonymity.)

BUT…

Aggrieve me at your peril. I abide no foolishness from anyone, least of all someone who talks out of his or her - whatever you are - ass. Show some respect and do it soon.:machinegun:

I thought I went out of my way in my last response to him to tell him that I didn't wish to argue with him.

As for my being from a' 'foreign country' well yes, I plead guilty to that. Full of Vegemite, too! How tragic for me.

I apologise for the trouble I have caused. I don't know how many people talk about me behind my back. I've always been upfront. I don't set out to alienate people but I don't have very good people skills, that's true.

I've just watched my husband's native country England get knocked out of the (soccer) World Cup & I come on here & read this. Great start to the day!

Cheers.

chaim
07-11-2018, 05:40 PM
This is the PM I was sent: (NB if it isn't appropriate I will delete, but as I've seen his attacks on me in public & he has been banned, I'm not sure that it matters that much).

You not only have a big mouth - you know little to nothing about Glenn Frey, or anyone else involved in this band.

I KNEW Glenn Frey. Worked with him and the others for years. You are simply a mean-mouthed "fan" (from a foreign country, no less) who loves to cause trouble.

I don't really care what you say to anybody else; that's between you and them (although I'm sure you're one of those cowardly fools that hide behind your on-line anonymity.)

BUT…

Aggrieve me at your peril. I abide no foolishness from anyone, least of all someone who talks out of his or her - whatever you are - ass. Show some respect and do it soon.:machinegun:

I thought I went out of my way in my last response to him to tell him that I didn't wish to argue with him.

As for my being from a' 'foreign country' well yes, I plead guilty to that. Full of Vegemite, too! How tragic for me.

I apologise for the trouble I have caused. I don't know how many people talk about me behind my back. I've always been upfront. I don't set out to alienate people but I don't have very good people skills, that's true.

I've just watched my husband's native country England get knocked out of the (soccer) World Cup & I come on here & read this. Great start to the day!

Cheers.

I received a rude PM too, so don't take it too hard. (It was bizarre. Clearly doesn't know anything about me.)

sodascouts
07-11-2018, 06:06 PM

"You not only have a big mouth - you know little to nothing about Glenn Frey, or anyone else involved in this band.

BUT…

Aggrieve me at your peril. I abide no foolishness from anyone, least of all someone who talks out of his or her - whatever you are - ass. Show some respect and do it soon.:machinegun:"

Wow, he threatened you? "Show some respect"? People earn respect based on their behavior. He's lost mine.

Two things peneumbra believes are insults: pointing out that you're from a "foreign country" (ie, not American), and pointing out that I'm a teacher. That says volumes about him.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this, FP. I know there are people who have a problem with you, but I don't think many of them believe it's OK to make threats and xenophobic remarks.

Reminds me of my former brother-in-law. Seemed nice at first, but when he got pissed off, he became nasty and abusive.

I don't wish to go on and on about this man now that's he's history, but I felt this PM deserved a response.

I received a rude PM too, so don't take it too hard. (It was bizarre. Clearly doesn't know anything about me.)

Chaim, I'm sorry you got one as well.

WalshFan88
07-11-2018, 06:35 PM
I'm so sorry that got sent to you FP.

The guy clearly has issues, and after the post to me about kicking my posterior, and the fact he clearly used a gun emoji in his PM to you telling you to "show some respect and soon". I'm glad Soda got rid of him. It was only going to get worse. He showed his true side to anyone that cares. Completely unhinged.

I never for once believed he knew any of the band or was on the road and I've always believed his "stories" to be false. They might be fun to read or entertaining, but fact-driven they are NOT. He makes them up to get attention.

I always have valued your posts and mostly agree with all of them, especially in regard to this new band. If someone has an issue with you that's THEIR problem.

sodascouts
07-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Anyway, shall we get the thread back on track again?

No Glenn, No Eagles!

Ah, that felt good. ;)

WalshFan88
07-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Anyway, shall we get the thread back on track again?

No Glenn, No Eagles!

Ah, that felt good. ;)

Yes it does. ;)

chaim
07-12-2018, 02:40 AM
Yes, a wonderful feeling. Thanks.

Dawn
07-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Of all the accolades, awards, honors and tributes in the music industry I sometimes wonder what could/would be the most meaningful. Clearly the Kennedy Center Honors might be high on the list followed by the Grammys and the controversial RRHOF but there are many others including posthumous tributes like hometown street signs, statues, concert tributes, documentaries, movies, plays, musicals, etc.

I really wish Glenn had been well enough to participate in the KCH because I believe he would have enjoyed the experience very much.

I know that continuing the band has been equated with honoring Glenn Frey and I don't disagree fans could/would feel that way. When it gets right down to it, to each his own.

For me, I like to think all the money and fame in the world can not compare to the thrill of walking out on stage before thousands of fans many of whom will never forget the thrill of their first Eagles concert.

For me that moment came many years ago.

"We're the Eagles from Los Angeles." - Glenn Frey's signature introduction.

And they were.

Fast forward to the present and it's a different band, a different show.

No Glenn Frey. No Eagles.

On July 14th the brand will be in Buffalo which prompted one writer to ponder what fans could expect minus Glenn Frey.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/07/10/still-rockin-what-to-expect-at-the-eagles-show/

sodascouts
07-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Of all the accolades, awards, honors and tributes in the music industry I sometimes wonder what could/would be the most meaningful. Clearly the Kennedy Center Honors might be high on the list followed by the Grammys and the controversial RRHOF but there are many others including posthumous tributes like hometown street signs, statues, concert tributes, documentaries, movies, plays, musicals, etc.

I really wish Glenn had been well enough to participate in the KCH because I believe he would have enjoyed the experience very much.

I know that continuing the band has been equated with honoring Glenn Frey and I don't disagree fans could/would feel that way. When it gets right down to it, to each his own.

For me, I like to think all the money and fame in the world can not compare to the thrill of walking out on stage before thousands of fans many of whom will never forget the thrill of their first Eagles concert.

For me that moment came many years ago.

"We're the Eagles from Los Angeles." - Glenn Frey's signature introduction.

And they were.

Fast forward to the present and it's a different band, a different show.

No Glenn Frey. No Eagles.

On July 14th the brand will be in Buffalo which prompted one writer to ponder what fans could expect minus Glenn Frey.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/07/10/still-rockin-what-to-expect-at-the-eagles-show/

People have every right to pay hundreds of dollars to see this band if they want. They'll see a professionally done show with many of their favorite songs performed by a few members of the old band plus two.

But they're not seeing the Eagles.

"We're the Eagles from Los Angeles" - that's the Eagles.

Dawn
07-13-2018, 11:54 AM
People have every right to pay hundreds of dollars to see this band if they want. They'll see a professionally done show with many of their favorite songs performed by a few members of the old band plus two.

But they're not seeing the Eagles.

"We're the Eagles from Los Angeles" - that's the Eagles.

No denying it is a completely different band and show - very different.

sodascouts
07-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Also, because I think people have been forgetting and for the benefit of any new people, I think it might be a good idea to repost the OP:

This thread has been split from the "Eagles 3.0 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6955)" thread, which was initially started when it was unclear whether or not Don Henley would go back on his word that he would not attempt to reform an "Eagles" without Glenn. That thread initially discussed the possibility of an Eagles without Glenn, then for a long time people went back and forth about why they did or did not support it.

Finally, it was obvious there was no "debating" going on, just a vicious cycle of recriminations. People had decided whether or not they supported it, and that was that. Those who did not support it needed a place where they could discuss their feelings without people haranguing them, scolding them, guilt-tripping them, mocking them, gloating about how successful the faux Eagles are without Glenn, etc.

This thread was created for that purpose.

So if you are gung-ho about this this new group of men calling themselves the Eagles, that's great. Go to the Tour threads and Review threads and you'll find like-minded people. Don't come into this thread.

If you want to make arguments about why the band should continue, don't post in this thread. There's a place to debate here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7389).

People who post in this thread essentially agree with the following statements by Don Henley made on November 28, 2016 in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/don-henley-says-the-eagles-are-done-it-was-always-glenn-freys-band/2016/11/28/ccd89a4a-aa6a-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.d406495b8ec7):
“I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band [...] It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”
Irving Azoff asked Best Classic Bands (http://osecrobotics.com/bestclassicbands/dan-fogelberg-tribute-album-interview-11-16-17/) on November 16, 2017: "What's your definition of the Eagles? Glenn's gone."

Here's ours:

It's not the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

New Kid In Town
07-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Amen Soda - perfectly said and too the point !

Glennsallnighter
07-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Absolutely.

CAinOH
09-28-2018, 08:12 AM
Because the "Eagles" have just announced a world tour for 2019, and because this was lost in the crash and update of the site, I feel compelled to post this again this morning:

https://content.screencast.com/users/cheryl7821/folders/Default/media/c709c19d-fc73-44ea-bd39-0cccb1b215bb/NoGlennNoEagles.jpg

cosec3791
09-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Because the "Eagles" have just announced a world tour for 2019, and because this was lost in the crash and update of the site, I feel compelled to post this again this morning:

https://content.screencast.com/users/cheryl7821/folders/Default/media/c709c19d-fc73-44ea-bd39-0cccb1b215bb/NoGlennNoEagles.jpg

What??? A world tour in 2019? Seriously? When and where did they announce this?

CAinOH
09-28-2018, 08:42 AM
What??? A world tour in 2019? Seriously? When and where did they announce this?

https://www.eagles.com/

I put up a thread elsewhere.

09-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Thanks for reposting this CAinOH. As I said before, this image says it all for me. I guess I was hoping against hope that they would call it quits after this year, but I knew in my heart that they probably wouldn't. Oh well, one day this too shall pass.

sodascouts
09-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Thanks for reposting that. I too thought their vocal deterioration might make them reconsider but I should have known that as long as people are willing to pay to see them, they will continue. Glenn's absence continues to be a non issue for them when it comes to making the decision, of course.

WalshFan88
09-28-2018, 11:07 PM
The fact this is still going on is just so wrong... Hang it up guys - have some dignity left for pete's sake.

New Kid In Town
09-29-2018, 12:07 PM
Soda - You are so right. As long as they can keep selling out and making money they will keep going. If you look at their FB Pages, fans in Europe have been demanding they do an overseas tour since the Classic concerts.

Austin - Amen !

WKMB55
09-29-2018, 03:01 PM
I am surprised that any of the music groups with 70 year old front men/women are still touring. They all suffer from various degrees of vocal deterioration. As a friend of mine half jokingly said the other day....with all of the loud music we listened to back then and the fact that we are mid-60's or older, our hearing has deteriorated too so maybe they don't sing as well but we don't hear as well either.

sodascouts
09-29-2018, 10:05 PM
I am surprised that any of the music groups with 70 year old front men/women are still touring. They all suffer from various degrees of vocal deterioration. As a friend of mine half jokingly said the other day....with all of the loud music we listened to back then and the fact that we are mid-60's or older, our hearing has deteriorated too so maybe they don't sing as well but we don't hear as well either.

I don't think, at this point, most people even care what they sound like. They just want to "go see the Eagles." It's become some sort of social thing now, some sort of "event." Most don't know what Glenn's son sounds like but that's not important - it's nice that he's there anyway; most probably don't know what to make of Vince Gill but in the end, they don't care. They want their Eagles show, and the message is loud and clear: "We don't need Glenn Frey to have an Eagles show."

Well, forgive me, but I'll disagree with that until my dying day.

#NoGlennNoEagles

CAinOH
09-29-2018, 10:08 PM
#NoGlennNoEagles

Dawn
09-30-2018, 12:32 AM
They will keep touring because "they can".

Pfft.

:headshake:

#NoGlennNoEagles

Here, There or Anywhere.

09-30-2018, 11:15 AM
I don't think, at this point, most people even care what they sound like. They just want to "go see the Eagles." It's become some sort of social thing now, some sort of "event." Most don't know what Glenn's son sounds like but that's not important - it's nice that he's there anyway; most probably don't know what to make of Vince Gill but in the end, they don't care. They want their Eagles show, and the message is loud and clear: "We don't need Glenn Frey to have an Eagles show."

Well, forgive me, but I'll disagree with that until my dying day.

#NoGlennNoEagles

ITA, Soda. Honestly, while I respect other's decisions, I have absolutely zero desire to see this band. I fundamentally believe that they are wrong to continue as the Eagles without Glenn and have never even been tempted in the least to even look for tickets. I miss going to shows and seeing the friends I've made over the years, but not enough to support what I consider to be a fraud. I guess some would say I have a very rigid belief system. They are probably right. lol But, I have to stand by my principles, so I'll just look for other opportunities to connect with my friends and go see a good tribute band to fill the void.

WKMB55
09-30-2018, 01:16 PM
I have not gone to see Don, Joe, Timothy and the band. I guess I must be very rigid as well because I also have never been to see a "tribute" band. I have a whole other set of issues with them. Everyone has their opinions and choices. It make life more interesting.😎

sodascouts
09-30-2018, 01:53 PM
ITA, Soda. Honestly, while I respect other's decisions, I have absolutely zero desire to see this band. I fundamentally believe that they are wrong to continue as the Eagles without Glenn and have never even been tempted in the least to even look for tickets. I miss going to shows and seeing the friends I've made over the years, but not enough to support what I consider to be a fraud. I guess some would say I have a very rigid belief system. They are probably right. lol But, I have to stand by my principles, so I'll just look for other opportunities to connect with my friends and go see a good tribute band to fill the void.

It's like clothes made in sweatshops. If you truly believe what they're doing is wrong and don't want it to continue, you don't buy the product.

But that's just it. The people going don't think it's wrong. They are sad he's gone of course, and most would prefer he be there, but ultimately they don't have a problem with the Eagles continuing without Glenn. If they did, they wouldn't choose to go.

As WKMB says, they have a different opinion on the matter. They have a right to that.

But as for me, like Dreamer, I have zero desire to validate this band's decision to continue without Glenn by buying a ticket to a show.

Dawn
09-30-2018, 02:14 PM
For me, it was always simple. Without Glenn Frey the band could not, would not and did not tour.

They are are only doing so now because they can.

Meaning ... well people may differ on that. I only know where I stand.

sodascouts
09-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Yes, and these men can do what they want. Henley is being richly rewarded for his change of heart.

I would just shrug it off and say "whatever" if it weren't for the fact that they're diluting what it means to be an "Eagle" with these new members, changing not only the band's sound but also its artistic vision, and diminishing Glenn as nothing more than an expendable, replaceable ex-member in the process.

I say something because as a fan, I care about that.

It's not about whether or not going to concerts is fun, or whether or not they enlist "blood," or whether or not other people think it's ok.

It's about the fact that I, as a fan, hate to see the band I loved degraded, Glenn's vision devalued, in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

I know I've said this before, but the announcement of the European tour just reopens the wounds and brings all the emotions up again, and so here I am. I cannot wait for this tour to be over.

chaim
10-01-2018, 06:43 AM
This doesn't surprise me in the least. As far as I'm concerned the band has been ruined already, so it's getting to the point where I sort of don't care what they do or don't do these days. This new tour will not cheapen the Eagles name. It has been cheapened already.

groupie2686
10-01-2018, 09:39 AM
This doesn't surprise me in the least. As far as I'm concerned the band has been ruined already, so it's getting to the point where I sort of don't care what they do or don't do these days. This new tour will not cheapen the Eagles name. It has been cheapened already.

I feel the same. I've kind of stopped caring too. Not that I don't care that they're performing without Glenn, it's still wrong, but to me, they stopped being the Eagles as soon as they decided to continue without Glenn, so I don't care what this band does. This is not the Eagles. I haven't even read a review of them in months, I just don't want to know anymore.

10-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Yes, and these men can do what they want. Henley is being richly rewarded for his change of heart.

I would just shrug it off and say "whatever" if it weren't for the fact that they're diluting what it means to be an "Eagle" with these new members, changing not only the band's sound but also its artistic vision, and diminishing Glenn as nothing more than an expendable, replaceable ex-member in the process.

I say something because as a fan, I care about that.

It's not about whether or not going to concerts is fun, or whether or not they enlist "blood," or whether or not other people think it's ok.

It's about the fact that I, as a fan, hate to see the band I loved degraded, Glenn's vision devalued, in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

I know I've said this before, but the announcement of the European tour just reopens the wounds and brings all the emotions up again, and so here I am. I cannot wait for this tour to be over.

Soda and I don't always agree about a lot of things, but on this matter, we are definitely on the same page.

WKMB55
10-01-2018, 11:22 AM
I don't know if it has been posted anywhere here---the 3 Forum shows were recorded and they all wore the same clothes all 3 nights for the convenience of being able to combine the videos. I guess Don announced they were filming and that their manager would have some ideas about what to do with it. When I read that, it really brought up some negative feelings.

Brooke
10-01-2018, 03:50 PM
My opinion hasn't changed either. #NoGlennNoEagles

I've had several people ask me if I'm going this past year and I've told them it's not the Eagles anymore without their founder. I have no desire to see this group.

STILL can't believe they are doing it. Money talks for sure with them!

FreyFollower
10-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Yeah. I really thought that the end of the year would be the end of it. Silly me.:sad: