PDA

View Full Version : An Eagles Hologram Tour- What If?

Delilah
01-20-2018, 08:42 PM
It is possible that some time in the future the remaining band members and Glenn’s estate give the go-ahead for an Eagles hologram tour. The idea is not as far-fetched as it might have seemed a few years ago or even one year ago. There have already been concert “performances” by Michael Jackson and Tupac Shakur. Plans are in the works for Ronnie James Dio, Frank Zappa and Roy Orbison to “tour” as holograms. Amy Winehouse, Patsy Cline, Buddy Holly and Liberace are also possibilities (the former 2 were supposed to have already happened but I don’t know if they worked out).

According to Holograms USA, the company developing the technology, it’s “the future of live entertainment.”

”Meet the man determined to make celebrity holograms a major Hollywood draw” L.A. Times, Oct. 9, 2017 (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-hologram-theater-20171009-story.html)

And it’s not limited to artists who have passed on; ABBA recently announced a hologram tour for 2019 even though all 4 members are alive and presumably healthy. This way they can earn tour revenue without the rigors of actually going out on the road.

”ABBA preparing to embark on hologram tour in 2019”, wjla.com, Sept. 19, 2017 (http://wjla.com/news/entertainment/abba-preparing-to-embark-on-hologram-tour-in-2019)

So if the Eagles did this, would you be in? It would be the closest many of us who didn’t see them in the 70s would come to seeing their younger selves playing live.

groupie2686
01-20-2018, 10:27 PM
That's crazy, but I guess not beyond the realm of possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if Irving arranged this at some point. I don't know if I'd see it though. I was born in the 80s, so it would be the closest I'd get to seeing their younger selves live, but I don't know about paying to see holograms...

buffyfan145
01-20-2018, 10:39 PM
I have wondered about this. As technology keeps changing, especially with virtual reality, I feel this will become more common. I'd be up for checking it out just to see more how the tech is. Reminds me of something my Dad said years ago that computer generated images (CGI) would get so realistic that it would look like your watching something real and that it would open up the possibility that dead actors and musicians would come back in new things if the family ok'd it.

New Kid In Town
01-20-2018, 10:52 PM
That's crazy, but I guess not beyond the realm of possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if Irving arranged this at some point. I don't know if I'd see it though. I was born in the 80s, so it would be the closest I'd get to seeing their younger selves live, but I don't know about paying to see holograms...

And how much would Irving charge for THAT ?
I would never pay to see a hologram of ABBA - they are all still alive !

Delilah
01-21-2018, 12:57 AM
And how much would Irving charge for THAT ?
I would never pay to see a hologram of ABBA - they are all still alive !

Surely Irving would realize the market probably isn’t big enough to charge exorbitant prices.

It does seem strange to pay to see a hologram performance of artists who are still alive but ABBA haven’t toured since the early 80s. From what I understand, they still don’t want to tour. This would be the only way for their fans to see them perform “live.” Plus you’d be seeing the 70s version of them, when they were young, hot and happening.

RudieCantFail
01-21-2018, 07:28 AM
I don't really like the sound of this. If you're going to produce a concert with holograms, then why wouldn't you produce a show with the hologram and release it on DVD/Blu-ray/Digital format to save the cost of renting a venue?

Maybe when they're long gone, I would sing a different tune, but live music is supposed to have some elements of spontaneity at times. It doesn't go perfectly all the time.

Would I be surprised for it to occur? No, but I would not see it unless I had nothing else to do or it was a lot cheaper than usual.

Sorry for sounding so negative and unwilling to break from tradition. It was an interesting hypothetical scenario, Delilah.

UndertheWire
01-21-2018, 08:33 AM
I'm reposting something from a WSJ article for a few years ago (now subscribers only):

Now that their fans have demonstrated a willingness to snap up $1,000 seats, the live-music industry is trying to figure out what to offer them next. But banking on the participation of any one act appears increasingly risky, especially given the unexpected deaths this year of artists such as Eagles co-founder Glenn Frey, rocker David Bowie and pop star Prince.
“We’re getting old,” Eagles manager Irving Azoff said at a panel event earlier this week, noting that four of his management clients, including Mr. Frey, had died.

Mr. Konowitch said the idea for RockmaniaLive was born several years ago when a group of booking-agency heads and promoters warned him against managing certain classic rock acts because it wasn’t clear how much longer they could tour.
He began researching the economics of symphonic tribute shows, which he discovered could reliably draw as many as 6,000 fans thanks to their nostalgia for the music and loyalty to their local orchestras—no matter how clumsy or “cheesy” the production, he said.

To help line up some initial individual investors—whom Mr. Konowitch declined to disclose—he hired Grammy-winning producer Rob Cavallo, known for his work with punk’s Green Day and rock’s Dave Matthews Band, and composer David Campbell, the father of Beck, to arrange classic-rock albums for orchestras that will perform alongside carefully cast guitarists, bassists and drummers. Vocalists will sing on only a few of the songs in a given show, in front of giant screens displaying elaborate visual effects.http://www.wsj.com/articles/rockmanialive-to-mount-live-orchestral-concerts-of-iconic-bands-1475208061

sodascouts
01-21-2018, 05:21 PM
I would see it in the spirit of it bring a glorified concert video that I was watching with fellow fans.

YoungEaglesFan
01-21-2018, 05:43 PM
I would see it in the spirit of it bring a glorified concert video that I was watching with fellow fans.

This is how I would view it. If expectations were low and everyone knew that it was going to be nothing like a real concert I’d have no issue going to one. I’m sure it would be interesting at least

East Texas Girl
01-22-2018, 01:11 PM
I agree with Soda.

This would possibly be the only way for me to see Randy perform and with them all in their heyday... I would most likely be in.

groupie2686
01-22-2018, 02:38 PM
I don't quite understand how this works though...are you watching a video of a concert that was already recorded that is projected as a hologram? If they're going to do that, why not release a DVD and let people watch in their own living rooms?

Delilah
01-22-2018, 04:41 PM
I don't quite understand how this works though...are you watching a video of a concert that was already recorded that is projected as a hologram? If they're going to do that, why not release a DVD and let people watch in their own living rooms?

No, it’s not a video on a screen, although those are popular as well (this is what the article UtW linked to was about). In fact, Elvis concert videos have been shown on tour with a live band and/or orchestra on stage, to a great reception.

This is more what it would be like:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7eiWahgEnFg

At first, I thought it seemed silly to shell out money for this kind of thing. Then I remembered I once paid to see a Pink Floyd laser show. This would be something similar really, a special effects show but with an actual visual of the band.

WalshFan88
01-22-2018, 08:54 PM
To me it's pretty creepy. I think it would weird me out quite a bit. Just my take.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-24-2018, 05:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this. I can't say I'd rule it out if I could see a show of the band in their prime. However, it would depend on a lot of factors before I would be up for it. If it became reality, it may weird me out too.

buffyfan145
01-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Just saw an article that apparently there's now a new 3D projection that's been invented that's more like what they have in "Star Wars" now and more realistic than holograms. Will be interesting what new technology keeps coming in the future.

https://phys.org/news/2018-01-holograms-d-thin-air.html

Brooke
01-25-2018, 11:21 AM
It would be pretty weird for me. Dunno if I would want to see it or not. Maybe if it were the band from the 70s, like Dreamer.

NightMistBlue
01-25-2018, 02:28 PM
To me it's pretty creepy. I think it would weird me out quite a bit. Just my take.

The ones I've seen are very creepy. Something about the way they move, kind of remniscent of the speedy zombies in "28 Days Later," is disturbing.

However, if the technology improves and I'm in the presence of say California Jam-era Randy, look out! :iloveyou:

Freypower
01-25-2018, 06:35 PM
I guess I will weigh in on this & state that I cannot imagine anything worse apart from what is actually happening at the moment. :censored:

Delilah
01-26-2018, 03:09 PM

Sorry, groupie, I realize I misunderstood your question before. It won’t be taken from an actual video. In the case of ABBA, the images will be taken from the band members as well as actors whose movements, gestures, etc. will be used to re-create performances; recordings of past concerts will be used to help. At least that’s how I understand it.

The ones I've seen are very creepy. Something about the way they move, kind of remniscent of the speedy zombies in "28 Days Later," is disturbing.

However, if the technology improves and I'm in the presence of say California Jam-era Randy, look out! :iloveyou:

At the risk of revealing my horror movie nerdiness, those aren’t zombies in “28 Days Later.” They were live humans infected with a “madness” virus.:crazy: :smile: (as far as Cal Jam Randy, I’m there too!)

Thank you, everyone for your thoughts, opinions and links!

groupie2686
01-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Sorry, groupie, I realize I misunderstood your question before. It won’t be taken from an actual video. In the case of ABBA, the images will be taken from the band members as well as actors whose movements, gestures, etc. will be used to re-create performances; recordings of past concerts will be used to help. At least that’s how I understand it.

I see...where does the audio come from? I'm still not sure how I'd feel about this.

sodascouts
01-26-2018, 06:04 PM

Oh! I was thinking they would just use a video and "recreate" it...

The idea of them making an entirely new concert by manipulating images and videos does sit a little less comfortably with me. It's like they'd become characters in a virtual reality video game.

Maybe I could look at it that way... I'd be buying tickets to participate in the Eagles Virtual Reality Experience Video Game. I've done a Star Trek one. This time, instead of flying the Enterprise with realistic facsimiles of Captain Kirk, Spock, and Dr. McCoy, I'd be at a concert with realistic facsimiles of the Eagles.

East Texas Girl
01-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, I thought it would be more like a video as well. I see why some people have been saying that it would be weird now. :doh:
Knowing me, I would probably still go. Randy in CalJam would be a good one, but I would take any time span with him... :heart:

sodascouts
02-06-2018, 09:24 PM
You guys probably heard about all the controversy surrounding whether or not to use a hologram of Prince during the halftime show of the Superbowl. It made me think of this thread. Apparently, Prince was not on board with the idea, calling them "demonic" when he was asked about the technology before his death.

I wonder what the remaining Eagles would say?

Freypower
02-06-2018, 09:31 PM
You guys probably heard about all the controversy surrounding whether or not to use a hologram of Prince during the halftime show of the Superbowl. It made me think of this thread. Apparently, Prince was not on board with the idea, calling them "demonic" when he was asked about the technology before his death.

They would say they don't need to use a hologram because as far as they are concerned, they are still the 'Eagles' or something like that.

If they were to do such a thing it would be an uncomfortable reminder of what they have lost.

sodascouts
02-06-2018, 09:38 PM
Oh no, God forbid they try to use one now! I meant as entirely separate endeavor.

Delilah
02-06-2018, 11:00 PM
I see...where does the audio come from? I'm still not sure how I'd feel about this.

The vocals would come from recordings and likely a backing track would be used too. As shown in the Ronnie James Dio video, there could also be a live band.

Probably most people would agree it would have been wrong to use a Prince hologram when he had spoken out against it. So I’m glad it didn’t happen. I thought it was so neat when the city lights lit up purple and you could see the Prince symbol.

My guess:

Don H - yes, provided he exercises creative control and gets a cut of 30% of the profits :wink:

Joe - yes

Timothy - yes

Don F - no

Bernie - hell no

Randy - <crickets>

I have no idea what Cindy Frey would say.:hmm:

Freypower
02-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Sadly Ahmet Zappa is doing this with Frank.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/frank-zappa-hologram-tour/

The names listed as participating in this include two of my husband's heroes, Mike Keneally & Steve Vai, plus Ray White, who we saw with Dweezil.

We will be seeing Dweezil on February 23 & we know that he will pay proper homage to his father's music.

groupie2686
02-07-2018, 06:57 PM
My guess:

Don H - yes, provided he exercises creative control and gets a cut of 30% of the profits :wink:

Joe - yes

Timothy - yes

Don F - no

Bernie - hell no

Randy - <crickets>

LOL. I bet you're right though. I could sadly see them doing this at some point in the future, if Irving thought it would be lucrative.

travlnman2
02-07-2018, 10:29 PM
As long as it makes Irving money anything is possible.

:censored: holograms we have youtube :D

travlnman2
02-07-2018, 10:32 PM
The vocals would come from recordings and likely a backing track would be used too. As shown in the Ronnie James Dio video, there could also be a live band.

Probably most people would agree it would have been wrong to use a Prince hologram when he had spoken out against it. So I’m glad it didn’t happen. I thought it was so neat when the city lights lit up purple and you could see the Prince symbol.

My guess:

Joe - yes

Timothy - yes

Don F - no

Bernie - hell no

Randy - <crickets>

Maybe it will allow Felder to finally rejoin the band :D they don't actually have to see each other and never have to speak to each other :lol

I wonder if the holograms would actually get in a fight :grin:

sodascouts
02-07-2018, 10:40 PM
I think Felder would be cool with it if it made him lots of money. He could be all "I always said I was willing to forgive these guys and work with them again! If the only way is via hologram, I'll take it!" :lol:

travlnman2
02-08-2018, 12:28 AM
I think Felder would be cool with it if it made him lots of money. He could be all "I always said I was willing to forgive these guys and work with them again! If the only way is via hologram, I'll take it!" :lol:

And wouldn't be him just use motion capture and have pre recorded guitar parts :rofl:

Delilah
02-08-2018, 10:28 PM
TM2 and Soda, too funny! :lol: