PDA

View Full Version : THE ORIGINAL FIFTH EAGLE

peneumbra
01-23-2018, 04:10 AM
No, it wasn't J.D. Souther or Jackson Browne. It was:

Irving Azoff.

Now, I know that there are folks in this forum who strongly dislike Irving. They believe that all he cares about is money, that he sold out the hallowed concept of the band by sending a faux group out on tour after Glenn Frey died, that… well, who knows what else.

But I want to tell you guys something, and that is this: I strongly believe that there would be no Eagles - at least the way we know them today - without Irving Azoff.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Irving, am in no way related to him, and I don't owe him any money. The last time I saw him was about eight years ago.

There are a lot of outrageously talented musicians in L.A. A lot of talented/beautiful/handsome musicians who can sing and write songs and play guitar/drums/etc. in ways that would just make you fall out of your chair.

And about 98% of them are working at Big 5 Sporting Goods, or driving a tour bus someplace in New Mexico. I have known artists who I was SURE would be a household name, a huge star, only to see them fade away into that particularly cruel obscurity that is reserved for those who Almost Made It Big. I was once married to a woman who, if there was any justice, would've been the next Joni Mitchell.

But there isn't any justice - at least not in the entertainment industry. And while the guys who started The Eagles were immensely talented, they likely would not have made it really big without a boost from a true industry insider.

That insider was Irving Azoff. Like his contemporary, David Geffen, Azoff had this uncanny way of knowing, somehow, what was going to work in terms of hit making. Part of it is just that he works so goddamned hard, but there's another, ephemeral something that is impossible to really pin down.

So it's 1971, and here are these four very talented and determined musicians, willing to do whatever it takes to make it. But, really, who knows these guys? Frey was best known for playing guitar guitar and singing behind Bob Seger; Bernie Leadon had a good rep as a folkie and had been in The Flying Burrito Brothers (one of my all-time favorite groups, but one that had limited appeal in the world of pop music). Likewise, Randy Meisner had played bass in Poco, but they'd fallen out of mainstream style by '71. Henley was certainly known around L.A. as a fine drummer and backup singer, but he was far from nationally famous.

I believe that Azoff provided the focus for these guys. He knew everyone there was to know in the business, knew how to promote talent, had an ear for what a song would sound like when recorded properly. More importantly, he knew that if he didn't know something - album cover art or packaging or some other esoteric aspect of the business - he knew who to turn to who did. It was these talents (and the ability to support it all with large infusions of cash from investors who trusted him) that allowed The Eagles to achieve the kind of mega-success that few artists ever reach.

"I really never believed that it would be like this," Frey once told me while we were waiting in an airport somewhere in the Midwest. "I mean, you think about making it, being a success and all that, but… this is like having a dream that you wake up from - a really, REALLY good dream - and you find out that it's real. This is real life…"

Would they have made it without Irving? I don't know - maybe they could've pulled it off without having the consummate insider in their corner, but I have my doubts. The only band I can think of whose career in some ways parallels The Eagles is Fleetwood Mac - and it took them decades (and mass changes in personnel) to have the vast appeal and financial rewards of this crew.

Well, maybe you still hate Irving, but that's your right - just as it's your right to attend (or not) concerts starring the current version of The Eagles. I worked for him during the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, along with his brother, Dan, and he was more than fair in terms of paying me for my efforts. And if he called me tomorrow, I'd work for him again...8)

YoungEaglesFan
01-23-2018, 08:48 AM
I like that quote from Glenn a lot. I think I agree with you, I think that without Irving their mega success doesn’t happen or at least is much less likely to happen. They would probably end up something like the doobies in terms of sales. I think another thing he was very helpful in building the success was keeping the band together. I’m sure that was a extremely hard task to handle

NightMistBlue
01-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Surely Irving didn't *start* his career as an insider though. I got the impression from various books that when Joe Walsh brought him out to California (circa 1973 or so?), Irving had done well in the midwest as a concert promoter but was not at all powerful or connected in L.A.

OT: One of my favorite music industry books is "The Operator" by Tom King, a fascinating, very well-researched biography of David Geffen. Azoff would make a really good subject too.

Elizasong
01-23-2018, 12:05 PM
In the history of Elvis, Sam Phillips who was Elvis's first manager was only a regional manager. There was only so far he could take Elvis in his career and he knew it. He also knew that Elvis was such a tremendous talent that the best thing to do was sell him to Colonel Parker who then took him worldwide!

Does a manager make a difference? Absolutely!! It's a balance though and there is only so much you can do with a pile of crap. Eagles of course were far from that. They were the diamond in the rough that Irving polished and knew how to sell. I'm sure any of the remaining members would agree to that. As Don Henley said "he might be Satan but he's our Satan".

Dawn
01-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Thanks, appreciate the insight.

Azoff is certainly focused and driven. But even he would surely acknowledge the huge role classic rock radio played in extending the shelf life of the Eagles and so many other acts. Second and no less important --- capitalizing on "Being in the right place at the right time" .... not just a cliche when one is talking about the 60's and early 70's and/or the evolution of the music industry at large.

sodascouts
01-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Surely Irving didn't *start* his career as an insider though. I got the impression from various books that when Joe Walsh brought him out to California (circa 1973 or so?), Irving had done well in the midwest as a concert promoter but was not at all powerful or connected in L.A.

Indeed. Joe jokes that he and Azoff had to live in his car together when they first came to LA, lol.

I wrote up a little history of the Eagles' relationship with Azoff here: Irving Azoff and the Eagles (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/management/frontline.htm)
(Note: that page has not been updated since Glenn's death and the link to the Rolling Stone article is now dead.)

Certainly Azoff deserves credit for his efforts on behalf of the Eagles. At the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame Induction, Don Henley said it himself: "I'd like to thank Irving Azoff, without whom we wouldn't be here today." Glenn Frey then added, "Well, we might still be here, but we wouldn't have made as much money."

The reverse is also true. Azoff made his reputation on his successful handling of the Eagles. He went from there to prove himself again and again with other bands and artists, then moved from success in management to success elsewhere, but he built his company Front Line Management on the Eagles (they were the first act his company managed). He became a powerful insider THROUGH what he did for them.

NightMistBlue
01-23-2018, 02:56 PM
Interesting write-up, Soda. You probably already know this but Randy Ostin was the son of legendary label head Mo Ostin: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=166698243

Was Edith Azoff Irving's mom?

Dawn
01-23-2018, 05:13 PM

OT: One of my favorite music industry books is "The Operator" by Tom King, a fascinating, very well-researched biography of David Geffen. Azoff would make a really good subject too.

Ooh, this book sounds great! I am definitly going to look for it at my local library, if they don't have it they are always happy to order. Thanks NMB!

Dawn
01-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Thanks Soda, I enjoyed your write up very much, very informative!

Peneumbra - thanks for your post and starting this topic.

Just curious -- did you ever meet Judee Sill?

Freypower
01-23-2018, 08:07 PM
I take issue with a manager being listed as the 'fifth' or whatever, member of a band. It adds weight to the theory that they were manufactured, not a 'real' band at all. It adds to the impression that they were (and even more so in their current incarnation are) a money making enterprise rather than a group of musicians. In any case he didn't even become their manager until 1973. I am perfectly willing to acknowledge the huge role he played in their success, but I cannot agree that he should be regarded as the 'fifth' Eagle. Especially now, after he went against his claims that they were done. Sorry.

Dawn
01-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Irving Azoff got the Eagles back their publishing rights which was a huge accomplishment.

Dawn
01-23-2018, 10:49 PM
FP, excellent points. I do agree.

Brooke
01-24-2018, 12:36 PM
I can see both sides here, but since he is not a musician I can't really call him the fifth Eagle. Definitely a huge component of their team though.

Interesting post, pen! Thanks!

travlnman2
01-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Sorry if I sound harsh I will NEVER trust Irving Azoff. He is responsible for the Ticketmaster Monoply over the touring industry. He is also to blame for delaying the GNR album Chinese Democracy in 2008 which he purposley did so he can make bank and force a reunion.

He only sees Money. I do not belive a word he says.

peneumbra
01-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I know a lot of people who are not fond of Irving because of the Ticketmaster thing, or other deals he's done. Honestly, if you look closely at the music business, it all looks pretty dodgy, and it apparently always has.

Talking about Elliot Roberts (Frontline Management), he was a terrific manager and made huge money for his clients, many of whom were… I don't want to use the term "difficult," but who needed a lot of attention. Joni Mitchell was one, I think Neil Young was another… And so the word was that some of the less famous and hard-to-manage talent got less of his time than they might have desired.

One of the reasons that I never got very involved with studio stuff and marketing and all of that was that, as a road manager or part of a road crew, what you do is directly involved in supporting your group - no conflicts of interest regarding whose songs go on the album, or who gets the most money, or even who gets the best dressing room (yes, it happens).

And you tend to make more friends...8)

Ive always been a dreamer
01-24-2018, 04:48 PM
I’m also having a hard time embracing the idea of Irving as the original fifth Eagle. I have always thought that label would belong to Felder. I think back in the early days, some referred to JD the fifth Eagle, but I believe that was before Felder joined. To me, the designation of ‘Eagle’ is reserved for band members only. As far as Irving's role, he undoubtably contributed enormously to the success of the band, however, I tend to believe Glenn had it right with his HOF comment. I believe that Irving was also critical in reforming the band and keeping them together after the resumption. However, he could have done none of this without the talents, dedication, and work ethic of the band members. Lucky for everyone, he just turned out to be the right fit. I think the songwriting collaborators such as Jackson, JD, and Jack Tempchin also deserve some credit for the band's success, as do David Geffen, Glyn Johns, and especially Bill Szymczyk.

Freypower
01-24-2018, 06:05 PM
I’m also having a hard time embracing the idea of Irving as the original fifth Eagle. I have always thought that label would belong to Felder. I think back in the early days, some referred to JD the fifth Eagle, but I believe that was before Felder joined. To me, the designation of ‘Eagle’ is reserved for band members only. As far as Irving's role, he undoubtably contributed enormously to the success of the band, however, I tend to believe Glenn had it right with his HOF comment. I believe that Irving was also critical in reforming the band and keeping them together after the resumption. However, he could have done none of this without the talents, dedication, and work ethic of the band members. Lucky for everyone, he just turned out to be the right fit. I think the songwriting collaborators such as Jackson, JD, and Jack Tempchin also deserve some credit for the band's success, as do David Geffen, Glyn Johns, and especially Bill Szymczyk.

Felder became a member of the Eagles so can't really be called the 'fifth Eagle' when that is in fact what he was. It's an honorary term. You could call George Martin the fifth Beatle because of the huge contribution he made to the production of their records. I don't actually like the concept for any band, not just the Eagles. I think even calling Souther or especially Browne the 'fifth (or sixth) Eagle' is stretching it. Some might argue that Steuart Smith became the 'fifth Eagle' after Felder's firing.

sodascouts
01-24-2018, 06:51 PM
Interesting write-up, Soda. You probably already know this but Randy Ostin was the son of legendary label head Mo Ostin: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=166698243

Was Edith Azoff Irving's mom?

Yes, Edith was Irving's mother - she was in her eighties at the time, I believe.

Family ties all over the place!

As far as the title "fifth Eagle" which I did not address in my initial reply, I too think it should be reserved for actual musicians who contributed a HUGE amount to the band through the years. As others have noted, JD Souther might qualify. I'm hard pressed to think of anyone else.

That said, Azoff's considerable managerial talents definitely contributed to their level of fame and fortune. If you find that kind of contribution as important as a musical contribution, then I can see the justification for the term "fifth Eagle" (or "sixth Eagle" when applicable).

Delilah
01-25-2018, 12:14 AM
Interesting post, peneumbra.

Could the Eagles have made it without Irving? Sure, they had the talent, writing chops and drive plus a successful album before Irving came into the picture. Would they have been as famous and rich? Probably not. Irving deserves a lot of credit for the band’s enormous success. OTOH the band might be held in higher regard by the critics and tastemakers were it not for the image of being corporate, for-profit rockers. And The Big Lebowski would be another forgettable movie.

I have mixed feelings about him, given how he treated Randy when he went solo. Yet, he was the one who pushed for Randy and Bernie to be included in the RnR HoF induction.

I hold nothing against him for his role in continuing the band without Glenn. He’s their manager and getting them gigs is his job. His being tough and relentless served the band well in the past so why would he change now.

That being said, I wouldn’t consider him the “5th Eagle.” Like FP said, he didn’t contribute musically or produce anything the way George Martin did as the “5th Beatle.” If anyone should be considered the “5th Eagle” it should be JD Souther.

JD helped write more songs than anyone else outside the band, including some of their biggest hits. He performed with the Eagles on stage. He opened for them as a solo act and as part of Souther, Hillman and Furay. “How Long” was part of his setlist (and it’s pretty cool to hear Richie Furay’s backing vocals on it). Decades later, it became the band’s last hit and was a highlight on their last album.

Thanks for the food for thought!

peneumbra
01-25-2018, 03:01 AM
OK - Irving is no longer the Fifth Eagle. I'm glad we got that settled. 8)

NightMistBlue
01-25-2018, 11:22 AM
I have mixed feelings about him, given how he treated Randy when he went solo. Yet, he was the one who pushed for Randy and Bernie to be included in the RnR HoF induction.

Say what?! Delilah Mae, what's your source on this? It would be very uncharacteristic of Mr. Azoff.

Brooke
01-25-2018, 11:32 AM
I would have to agree that Don Felder is the 5th Eagle if anyone is. So, then, JD would have to be the 6th Eagle if anyone is.

New Kid In Town
01-25-2018, 12:29 PM
I would have to agree that Don Felder is the 5th Eagle if anyone is. So, then, JD would have to be the 6th Eagle if anyone is.

Totally agree Brooke. Don Felder is the 5th Eagle. If anyone should be considered the "6th Eagle" it should probably be JD for his song writing contributions.
That being said, Irving made a huge contribution to making the Eagles what they became. I remember Glenn's quote from an old RS interview where he states that despite all their hard work and constant touring, they each only had $2,500.00 in the bank before Irving became their manager in 1973. There was the one tour they did for Christmas money and wound up with nothing. Geffen claimed after expenses there was no money to pay them. Irving really fought for them, made sure they got what they deserved, and like FP said, got back their publishing rights.

There is that famous quote from John Boylan - "The Eagles were made to make a million dollars". Glenn had studied why other bands failed, picked three other extremely talented guys who were just as ambitious as he was who, after being in failed bands, were willing to put the time and effort to succeed. They were also in the right place at the right time, and knew the right people to help make them successful. So many people were instrumental in their success.

YoungEaglesFan
01-25-2018, 12:43 PM
I’m in the group that thinks Steuart Smith would be in line for the 6th Eagle. Felder to me is clearly the 5th but I think smith comes before JD because he too has writing credits not as many or important as JD’s but he has been playing with them for over a decade and has essentially replaced Felder who I regard as the 5th eagle in that role

UndertheWire
01-25-2018, 01:19 PM
I thought JD Souther was referred to as the "Fifth Eagle" when they were still a 4-piece (and before Azoff was involved). JD even rehearsed with them with the idea he might join. Of course, when Felder joined, he became the official fifth Eagle.

Interesting thread. Irving Azoff certainly deserves credit for the part he played in their success and, to me, it seems that he was given it by Henley and Frey. If you consider the documentary, Azoff gets more time than some of the band members. I see him as one of the Power Trio.

Peneumbra, who else do you think of as being a good manager, at least as far as the people he/she is representing?

I can think of so many groups or artists who had their moment and then it went wrong and often the manager gets blamed. Humble Pie, Peter Fra,pton, Wishbone Ash are a few that come to mind.

sodascouts
01-25-2018, 02:23 PM
I’m in the group that thinks Steuart Smith would be in line for the 6th Eagle. Felder to me is clearly the 5th but I think smith comes before JD because he too has writing credits not as many or important as JD’s but he has been playing with them for over a decade and has essentially replaced Felder who I regard as the 5th eagle in that role

I can kind of see an argument for Smith. He's co-written 5 songs, which puts him on par with Timothy (and Jack Tempchin, incidentally). They're second only to Souther (who wrote or co-wrote 12 songs). The problem is that his involvement musically is limited to one album, their final and least iconic, which does pale when you compare it to Souther who contributed so much more to the albums that established them and who was contributing to their sound right up until the end.

As for touring, I'm not as keen on taking that into consideration. Touring with the Eagles isn't all that musically significant in terms of creative contribution. Several guys have toured with them for years (Crago goes back to HFO; Hollis joined them in 2001), and they're simply meticulously recreating the parts others have written. Smith's talent is undeniable but in terms of contributing to the Eagles' sound on a creative level as part of the touring band, he's handicapped by the dictum to "make it sound just like the album / just like Felder."

Freypower
01-25-2018, 06:07 PM

But Don Felder was a member of the Eagles. As I said, the phrase '5th or 6th' band member isn't meant to include people who were actually members of the band.

peneumbra
01-25-2018, 06:52 PM
8)Dawn had asked me if I'd ever met Judee Sill - a former girlfriend of Souther's, and a singer-songwriter in L.A. in the early '70s - and the answer is, I don't think so.

But I vaguely recall seeing her play at the old Ash Grove, maybe opening for somebody. Really sad story here: she got into (heavy) dope early on, got involved in some serious crime, was repped and then dropped by David Geffen… apparently she went to the same high school I did, albeit a decade earlier.

I looked on that Google thing and it states that she died of an O.D. in North Hollywood in 1979.

It is still amazing to me that so many people in our little industry end up sticking a rig (needle) in their arm, or whatever body part they have left to shoot in. Many, if not most, artists are very sensitive, and A LOT of them get very depressed (Talkin' to you, Vincent. Talkin' to you, Janis.)

Personally, I don't think I could do that. When I get depressed, I just chug a bottle of NyQuil, and I feel much better. And way more decongested...

YoungEaglesFan
01-25-2018, 09:46 PM
I can kind of see an argument for Smith. He's co-written 5 songs, which puts him on par with Timothy (and Jack Tempchin, incidentally). They're second only to Souther (who wrote or co-wrote 12 songs). The problem is that his involvement musically is limited to one album, their final and least iconic, which does pale when you compare it to Souther who contributed so much more to the albums that established them and who was contributing to their sound right up until the end.

As for touring, I'm not as keen on taking that into consideration. Touring with the Eagles isn't all that musically significant in terms of creative contribution. Several guys have toured with them for years (Crago goes back to HFO; Hollis joined them in 2001), and they're simply meticulously recreating the parts others have written. Smith's talent is undeniable but in terms of contributing to the Eagles' sound on a creative level as part of the touring band, he's handicapped by the dictum to "make it sound just like the album / just like Felder."

Those are good counter points soda. I don’t think I can call him an Eagle but I think that if were to give some the label of the 5th eagle as it pertains now I’m thinking Steuart Smith.

Dawn
01-26-2018, 11:04 AM
8)Dawn had asked me if I'd ever met Judee Sill - a former girlfriend of Souther's, and a singer-songwriter in L.A. in the early '70s - and the answer is, I don't think so.

But I vaguely recall seeing her play at the old Ash Grove, maybe opening for somebody. Really sad story here: she got into (heavy) dope early on, got involved in some serious crime, was repped and then dropped by David Geffen… apparently she went to the same high school I did, albeit a decade earlier.

I looked on that Google thing and it states that she died of an O.D. in North Hollywood in 1979.

It is still amazing to me that so many people in our little industry end up sticking a rig (needle) in their arm, or whatever body part they have left to shoot in. Many, if not most, artists are very sensitive, and A LOT of them get very depressed (Talkin' to you, Vincent. Talkin' to you, Janis.)

Personally, I don't think I could do that. When I get depressed, I just chug a bottle of NyQuil, and I feel much better. And way more decongested...

Thanks so much for your reply, I wish things had turnd out differently for Judee. I would have liked to have seen a documentary on her life, troubled as she was, she had such potential and was a gifted songwriter and musician. Her song Jesus Was A Crossmaker was written for JD. Here's a short clip of an interview with JD several years ago. "I loved her."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0261c9b

Rare video of Judee performing her beautiful song The Kiss.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0feFedDW_iQ

scottside
01-26-2018, 11:53 AM
I wasn't aware that Judee Sill wrote "Jesus Was A Crossmaker" about JD, but I loved her version of that song the first time I heard it. The Hollies also covered it on their ROMANY album back in the early 70s. I thought they did a nice job of it also, albeit more produced.

MaryCalifornia
01-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Here is a new interesting article about Irving - https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8096127/no-4-irving-azoff-power-100

During the HoTE tour, there was something that made me think that the guys were grossing (or maybe even netting) $1M per show each, personally. I can't remember how I arrived at that, but I got the impression that they weren't going out on the road, at their age, leaving their families etc... for less than $1M per show, per guy (yes, I know Don and Glenn made more than T & J...)

The numbers described in this article would definitely support that, and they don't even include merchandise.

And before anyone says Irving and the guys have enough money ...just ...don't. I saw an article last week describing how Nicolas Cage has lost $150M - happens all the time to pro athletes. I'm all for everyone, famous or not, making as much money as possible during their lifetime, if it is legal and if they can and want to work, especially if they are using some of it to help good causes and their extended families have good lives they otherwise wouldn't have had. Good for Irving.

Delilah
01-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Say what?! Delilah Mae, what's your source on this? It would be very uncharacteristic of Mr. Azoff.

I read it somewhere - an article or book, I can’t remember. I’ll have to go thru my “archives” and find it. I’ll then post the link.

I can kind of see an argument for Smith. He's co-written 5 songs, which puts him on par with Timothy (and Jack Tempchin, incidentally).

Timothy - ICTYW, Do Something, Long Road Out of Eden; which 2 am I missing?

Jack - PEF, Already Gone, Girl From Yesterday, Somebody, It’s Your World Now

Steuart - Waiting in the Weeds, Business as Usual, No More Walks in the Wood, Center of the Universe, Do Something

As much as I love Waiting in the Weeds, it seems Jack has contributed more in terms of songwriting than Smith (i.e. 2 hit songs). Aside from WIW, Jack’s LROOE songs are preferable to Smith’s, IMO. I would put Jack next in line after JD.

groupie2686
01-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Here is a new interesting article about Irving - https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8096127/no-4-irving-azoff-power-100

I read this article too and I was shocked that Irving owned Madison Square Garden and the LA forum - I had no idea.

I don't really like the notion of a "fifth eagle" or "sixth eagle" (other than actual members of the band). The Eagles were the band members. However, in terms of which collaborator contributed more, I agree it was JD, but what about Jackson Browne? Without him, there would have been no Take It Easy. He also wrote Nightingale and co-wrote Doolin Dalton and the reprise. While that is one less song than Steuart, the impact of Take It Easy makes him a more important collaborator than Steuart, and as much as Tempchin.

sodascouts
01-26-2018, 05:36 PM
Timothy - ICTYW, Do Something, Long Road Out of Eden; which 2 am I missing?

While he didn't write or co-write them, I thought since one might consider "Love Will Keep Us Alive" and "I Don't Want to Hear Any More" significant contributions in terms of his lead vocal, I should probably throw them in. However, I realize since we'd been talking in terms of songwriting, not everyone might consider those relevant. That's why I used the term "on par with" rather than "the same as" - to give my post a bit of wiggle room. ;)

Freypower
01-26-2018, 06:52 PM
I read this article too and I was shocked that Irving owned Madison Square Garden and the LA forum - I had no idea.

I don't really like the notion of a "fifth eagle" or "sixth eagle" (other than actual members of the band). The Eagles were the band members. However, in terms of which collaborator contributed more, I agree it was JD, but what about Jackson Browne? Without him, there would have been no Take It Easy. He also wrote Nightingale and co-wrote Doolin Dalton and the reprise. While that is one less song than Steuart, the impact of Take It Easy makes him a more important collaborator than Steuart, and as much as Tempchin.

The limit of Jackson Browne's contributions ended with the Desperado album. I have never understood why people think he is so important to the Eagles, Take It Easy or not. At least Souther & Tempchin continued their collaborations beyond the second album. I just don't agree that he can be labelled 'the fifth Eagle' because of one song.

Dawn
01-26-2018, 10:21 PM
I wasn't aware that Judee Sill wrote "Jesus Was A Crossmaker" about JD, but I loved her version of that song the first time I heard it. The Hollies also covered it on their ROMANY album back in the early 70s. I thought they did a nice job of it also, albeit more produced.

Hi SS, thanks, I have not heard the Hollies cover and need to go check it out!

Edited to add

Yay, found it on Youtube, and yes, they did do a very nice job. Did Graham Nash produce both Judee Sill's and the Hollies versions?

Freypower
01-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Jesus Was A Cross Maker also appeared on Warren Zevon's Mutineer album. Until now I had assumed he wrote it.

scottside
01-28-2018, 12:09 AM
Hi SS, thanks, I have not heard the Hollies cover and need to go check it out!

Edited to add

Yay, found it on Youtube, and yes, they did do a very nice job. Did Graham Nash produce both Judee Sill's and the Hollies versions?

I think Graham Nash was gone by the time the Hollies recorded it. This was recorded during Allan Clarke's hiatus so they had a Swedish lead singer for the ROMANY album.

New Kid In Town
01-28-2018, 10:41 AM

The book Hotel California gets into the story of Judee Sill. She apparently had a thing for David Geffen and was injured in a car accident(hit by Jim Nabors !) and suffered serious back injuries. That apparently started her decline. A sad story for sure.

Dawn
01-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Jesus Was A Cross Maker also appeared on Warren Zevon's Mutineer album. Until now I had assumed he wrote it.

Didn't know this, thanks FP.

NightMistBlue
01-28-2018, 06:03 PM
Rare video of Judee performing her beautiful song The Kiss.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0feFedDW_iQ

Whispering Bob does the intro! I love him.

P.S. I thought I read somewhere that Graham Nash produced the Hollies' version of "Jesus Was a Crossmaker"? Of course, he was long gone from the group at that point, but I think they always remained friends?

I love the Hollies' version, it's stunning. I heard it when it was featured in a Cameron Crowe film called Elizabethtown.