PDA

View Full Version : You Wanna Sing WHAT?!?

peneumbra
01-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Somewhere in my vast hall of archives (two garages and a huge storage building), I have some tapes I made of The Eagles rehearsing some of the songs they performed - or didn't - back in maybe '73 or '74. Since I've been ordered to "clean all that old s--t up" by my partner, She Who Must Be Obeyed, I will attempt to find said tapes as I get all that stuff organized. Don't hold your breath…

Anyway: One song I recorded was a spirited cover of that great Motown hit "Pappa Was A Rolling Stone." Sounded pretty good, too, with Meisner doing the high parts ("WELLWELLWELLWELL") and Henley singing the baritone.

As I recall, Frey wanted to do the thing as an encore, acapella, with everyone wearing matching suits and doing those cool Temptation dance moves, but was quickly outvoted ("No, Glen, we're not going there") by everybody else.

Another great idea that never saw the light of day...8)

scottside
01-29-2018, 07:41 PM
I would kill to hear that!

tac0mao6
01-29-2018, 08:04 PM
i’ll offer free clean up assistance for a chance to hear that tape :grin:

buffyfan145
01-29-2018, 09:21 PM
That's awesome!!! :D

New Kid In Town
01-29-2018, 10:59 PM
Wow - I would love to hear it.
I can't imagine Glenn wanting them all to dress like the The Temptations or Four Tops for their encore-lol. I bet an acapella version of that song was awesome.

Dawn
01-30-2018, 12:18 AM
Great song and not at all surprised at Glenn's enthusiasm ... heck, if anyone could pull something like that off it would be Glenn.

Delilah
01-30-2018, 12:57 AM
Anyway: One song I recorded was a spirited cover of that great Motown hit "Pappa Was A Rolling Stone." Sounded pretty good, too, with Meisner doing the high parts ("WELLWELLWELLWELL") and Henley singing the baritone.

As I recall, Frey wanted to do the thing as an encore, acapella, with everyone wearing matching suits and doing those cool Temptation dance moves, but was quickly outvoted ("No, Glen, we're not going there") by everybody else.

Another great idea that never saw the light of day...8)

Wow, I would LOVE to hear their rendition. Not to mention be a fly on the wall to see their expressions—esp. Bernie’s— when Glenn made that suggestion, lol. At least Glenn got his wish about the matching suits with the LROOE tour.

Thanks for sharing that memory, peneumbra.

New Kid In Town
01-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Wow, I would LOVE to hear their rendition. Not to mention be a fly on the wall to see their expressions—esp. Bernie’s— when Glenn made that suggestion, lol. At least Glenn got his wish about the matching suits with the LROOE tour.
Thanks for sharing that memory, peneumbra.

Delilah - LMAO regarding this part ! :rofl:
I hated the funeral suits. Rock stairs, IMHO, should not be dress looking like that.

YoungEaglesFan
01-30-2018, 10:10 AM
I’d love to hear that song if we could figure out some way to upload it on here. The stuff you have is incredible!

UndertheWire
01-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Delilah - LMAO regarding this part ! :rofl:
I hated the funeral suits. Rock stairs, IMHO, should not be dress looking like that.
They should be nicely carpeted.

New Kid In Town
01-30-2018, 11:02 AM

:oops::hilarious::blush: Typo error !

groupie2686
01-30-2018, 11:40 AM

LMAO!

I find it hard to believe that Glenn, at least as he was in 1973 or 1974, would have seriously wanted them to appear on stage in matching suits. They didn't even look like they owned suits back then! Later in life, though, I bet he would have been up for it ;)

I'd love to hear it too, peneumbra, if you can find a way to upload it here.

NightMistBlue
01-30-2018, 11:53 AM
That's super cool.

East Texas Girl
01-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Count me in, would love to hear anything you have!! :cool:

Freypower
01-30-2018, 06:05 PM
LMAO!

I find it hard to believe that Glenn, at least as he was in 1973 or 1974, would have seriously wanted them to appear on stage in matching suits. They didn't even look like they owned suits back then! Later in life, though, I bet he would have been up for it ;)

I'd love to hear it too, peneumbra, if you can find a way to upload it here.

I am also extremely dubious about this claim. Sorry.

I love the song but I don't think it would have been right for the Eagles at all. Just because it had five vocal parts didn't make it a good fit.

YoungEaglesFan
01-30-2018, 07:56 PM
I believe Glenn would make a joke about that, or for a moment think that’d be cool to do but I also doubt he would be serious.

peneumbra
01-30-2018, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure how serious Glenn Frey was about adding "Poppa Was A Rolling Stone" to the band's repertoire; it was late in the evening after a long day, and most parties present had been… modifying their consciousness, shall we say, with various substances.

I recall that, during an interview with somebody, Frey said that he and Henley had wanted to create a group that would be like "the white Temptations." So maybe his novel idea wasn't so far out there after all...8)

YoungEaglesFan
01-30-2018, 10:11 PM
While on this topic I wonder if the band had any other songs they had recorded where they shared the lead vocals between the band? I loved the live version of How Long in 1973 because the whole band was just singing the heck out of it. Randy and Glenn were fabulous. I wish they had recorded that as a song but they should have tried to do another time. For that same reason I love that part in On The Border with guys singing different lines. I think it’s a missed opportunity from the band musically but they kind of made up for it with a good amount of shared vocals on LROOE

Ive always been a dreamer
01-30-2018, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure how serious Glenn Frey was about adding "Poppa Was A Rolling Stone" to the band's repertoire; it was late in the evening after a long day, and most parties present had been… modifying their consciousness, shall we say, with various substances.

I recall that, during an interview with somebody, Frey said that he and Henley had wanted to create a group that would be like "the white Temptations." So maybe his novel idea wasn't so far out there after all...8)

Yeah - TBH, I'd be very shocked if that was anything that either of them seriously entertained particularly given that in interviews I've read from that time period, they had been known to mock bands that wore suits.