PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of the History of the Eagles documentary

shunlvswx
02-15-2018, 08:12 PM
I know the HOTE documentary has a discussion thread, but it doesn't have a celebration thread, but I hope its ok to make one.

Happy 5th Anniversary to HOTE documentary. Because of this documentary, I fell in love with the Eagles and kinda rediscovered them even though I wasn't a fan fan for many years.

I guess I will bust out my DVD tomorrow.

FreyFollower
02-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Happy Anniversary, HOTE!! I think the film has been a point of entry for a lot of new fans and a great re-introduction for fans from years past. Personally, I would be embarrassed to tell any non-fan how many times I have watched it! Of course, I would have liked more in depth personal interviews and the entire Capitol Centre concert. But I am so glad that we have this.

shunlvswx
02-15-2018, 10:24 PM
FF. I wouldn't be embarrassed. I watched it soo many times over 4 years. I would say maybe 50 to 100 times. I would watch it at work to get through the day. I haven't watched in a while.

groupie2686
02-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Happy Anniversary, HOTE!! I think the film has been a point of entry for a lot of new fans and a great re-introduction for fans from years past. Personally, I would be embarrassed to tell any non-fan how many times I have watched it! Of course, I would have liked more in depth personal interviews and the entire Capitol Centre concert. But I am so glad that we have this.

I would have loved more interviews and the Capital Centre concert too, but I love the HOTE documentary. I am not a fan of reality TV, but those clips from the 70s make me wish there was a reality TV show where a camera just followed them around. ;)

I didn't discover HOTE until Glenn's passing, but I have watched it every two months or so since then (and that's me pacing myself). The first time I saw it, I was so in awe that it took another viewing or two to even focus on what they were saying. Now that I'm talking about it, I think it's time to watch it again...

sodascouts
02-16-2018, 10:51 PM
Wow... 5 years... mind blowing! So glad they did this documentary and the accompanying tour was epic.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Wow... 5 years... mind blowing! So glad they did this documentary and the accompanying tour was epic.

Ditto!

And a belated Happy Anniversary to the first airing of the documentary.

LuvTim
02-18-2018, 06:27 PM
So much love 💘

FannyBeTender
02-18-2018, 07:10 PM
History of the Eagles documentary....

The reason I re-discovered the Eagles and Timothy B. Schmit :heart:. And the reason I discovered Poco. :smitten:

Man, this documentary has cost me a lot of money on concert dvds and music purchases lol. But I consider that a good thing. :thumbsup:

Dawn
02-18-2018, 08:04 PM
The idea to create a HOTE documentary followed/supported by a promotional concert tour was pure genius.

YoungEaglesFan
02-18-2018, 09:28 PM
I adore the documentary. I’ve watched it at least 5 times and I just can’t get enough of it. I too saw it only after Glenn passed and I missed out on the HOTE tour which saddens me. Hopefully some video of it will be realized

Dawn
02-18-2018, 10:44 PM
My only regret is as awesome as the HOTE tour was -- I believe it was too long.

YoungEaglesFan
02-18-2018, 11:32 PM
My only regret is as awesome as the HOTE tour was -- I believe it was too long.

When you say this do you mean you wish the band had started a new tour? Or had started a new “project” of sorts instead of spending so much time on the road?

LovinGlennGirl
02-19-2018, 09:12 AM
When you say this do you mean you wish the band had started a new tour? Or had started a new “project” of sorts instead of spending so much time on the road?

Glenn was so tired at the end, if the tour was shorter, maybe he could have rested up sooner. Just my thoughts

New Kid In Town
02-19-2018, 10:04 AM

I don't want to speak for Dawn but I think she means the tour took a lot out of Glenn that last year. Both Bob and Don talked about how exhausted he was when it ended in July 2015. Perhaps if they had ended it six months early he would not have gotten sick and been stronger physically to withstand any illness.

That being said, I love this movie ! I have watched it so many times. Thank God they had the foresight to make this when they did and everyone was in good health.

Delilah
02-19-2018, 11:23 AM
I remember the show airing on CNN not long after Glenn died. But I didn’t watch the whole thing until several months later. Somehow I missed it during the first run but then we didn’t (and still don’t) have Showtime.

It was so fascinating, esp. part 1! I don’t know of many bands with such an intriguing history and interesting set of characters. I’m so glad there is some video documentation of the band’s heyday and that viewers were reminded (or informed) that there were 2 crucial members named Bernie and Randy, and Don Felder too, though with the lawsuit, book and all, he probably wasn’t as forgotten up to that point.

At the same time, it’s kind of sad. 5 years doesn’t seem that long and yet so much has happened.

Pippinwhite
02-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Love that documentary! I'm so glad it's still on Netflix. I'll probably buy it when they rotate it out of their roster.

My My
02-19-2018, 01:45 PM
It is a great documentary. I happened to catch most of it on Showtime, then I recorded it from CNN. It took a couple of times to get it though. CNN was broadcasting it shortly after Glenn's passing. I set it to record that night, but then there was the blizzard on the east coast that night and CNN covered that instead. It was broadcast the following night and I finally got it!

I too, have watched it many times. I have to admit there are parts that I fast forward through now that I've seen it so much. And I watch Part 1 much more than Part 2. Part 1 is my personal History of the Eagles!

groupie2686
02-19-2018, 02:24 PM
I don't want to speak for Dawn but I think she means the tour took a lot out of Glenn that last year. Both Bob and Don talked about how exhausted he was when it ended in July 2015. Perhaps if they had ended it six months early he would not have gotten sick and been stronger physically to withstand any illness.

This makes me sad...

I really can't say enough about HOTE. I've seen a lot of documentaries about rock bands and this is the best by far. Not just for the story of the band, but Part 1 is an excellent look at the music of the time and really brings the 70s to you (I was born in the 80s, so this is as close as I'll get, lol). Every time I watch it, I'm riveted like it's the first time.

In some ways HOTE was life-changing for me. Not only did I become a huge Eagles fan, but I've also become a fan of Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt, artists who I barely knew existed before. All of the wonderful music I've come to know in the 2 years since I first saw this has truly enriched my life.

shunlvswx
02-15-2019, 04:35 PM
Happy 6th Birthday to the HOTE documentary.

Thanks to this documentary, I came out of the closet with liking the Eagles and rediscovered them. I've been a fan ever since.

FreyFollower
02-15-2019, 10:22 PM
Love HOTE! A great anniversary for you, Shun!

WalshFan88
02-15-2019, 11:03 PM
HOTE is definitely an awesome documentary. As far as rock docs go, it's got to be my favorite. It was very well executed and no one was left out or wasn't welcome to tell their side of the story. I really like that.

Glenn was a great storyteller and while I enjoyed all segments, I really liked hearing him tell what happened (especially when it was positive or about the early days, although I'm glad he didn't censor himself from talking about the more stressful, non fun stuff) and I thought he did so with a lot of charisma. I also thought DH came across pretty well in this doc. I'm not always a fan of his personality, but he really seemed to smile or be fairly laid back in the bits they featured of him, especially about the early days. I really thought everyone came across pretty levelheaded, although I do think the Felder firing part was more dramatic.

This weekend is going to be pretty busy, but my goal is to sit down and watch at least the documentary part next weekend. It's been at least a year if not pushing 2 since I've seen it. I watched Farewell 1 on the plane ride to Florida, and Hell Freezes Over flying back, so I'm caught up on those anyway. But I need to have some time to really watch the documentary again. I've picked up on things I had missed when it aired.

Tony Trout
02-16-2019, 08:10 PM
I have also watched the "HOTE" DVD many times and I'm glad that none of the band members (former or at-that-time current) were overlooked/ignored. I felt bad for Felder because he still seems to miss being in the band (and I don't blame him one bit). I still don't think that Glenn & Don should have gone as far as firing him from the band....but, what's in the past is in the past and there ain't nothin' that can be done about it. Plus, that's a subject for a different thread. :)

(The comments about Felder are strictly because I've always been a Felder fan and always will be).

I think that Timothy's comment to the film crew about him washing the dishes before they got there to film was hilarious!!! :lol:

I also never knew that Irving Azoff was/is SO stinkin' short (height-wise)!! :-o

I also wish that the band would have given us the complete Capitol Centre performance on that third DVD with as much behind-the-scenes/before show stuff!! I love seeing the "behind-the-scenes" going ons with a band or artist.....that's one reason that "Elvis On Tour" & "Elvis: That's The Way It Is" are my top two favorite films Elvis-wise.

sodascouts
02-18-2019, 12:58 AM
Happy birthday to the HOTE! Definitely worth revisiting!

Brooke
02-19-2019, 04:36 PM
It's been a while since I watched it and need to do that again! Loved it so much, but wish there was more to it as some of you have said.

shunlvswx
02-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Happy 7th Birthday to the History of the Eagles documentary.

sodascouts
02-15-2020, 07:32 PM
One of my colleagues actually apparently saw this on TV the other day. He came up to me and said "I saw this show and they were talking about the Eagles. Made me think of you. I know what a big fan you are." He started describing what he had seen, and I realized he was talking about HotE. It's always nice to hear people talk about the Eagles! The only problem was that he kept getting Glenn and Don mixed up. Sigh.

New Kid In Town
02-15-2020, 11:43 PM
One of my colleagues actually apparently saw this on TV the other day. He came up to me and said "I saw this show and they were talking about the Eagles. Made me think of you. I know what a big fan you are." He started describing what he had seen, and I realized he was talking about HotE. It's always nice to hear people talk about the Eagles! The only problem was that he kept getting Glenn and Don mixed up. Sigh.

Wow - 7 years ! I remember being so excited about it when it came out.
Silly Guy - Confusing Glenn with Don. I wonder what channel/station HOTE was on ? I did not see it listed otherwise I would have watched it even though I have the dvd.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-16-2020, 12:12 PM
HAPPY 7TH ANNIVERSARY HOTE!!!

Of course, this is the anniversary of the TV airing of the documentary. The DVD was not released until April 30th of 2013. I'll never forget the excitement of watching the this. I didn't have Showtime then, so I invited myself to organize a two-night family viewing party at my sister's house. :grin:

KingWalsh
02-18-2020, 11:37 AM
A lil late but HOTE happy anniversary! Just watched this week prior to concert and obviously a great watch. I feel bad for Felder as well so wish it turned out another way, would love to see them together again.

Brooke
02-18-2020, 03:44 PM
Wow, seven years already!

I was so excited and also our sweet Soda drove several hours to watch with me! I couldn't believe it! Fun times!!

Elle81
02-07-2021, 06:41 PM
Finally decided to watch this again today. The first time I watched it, which was last August, I was so overwhelmed by it that I cried afterwards. Because of the great concert footage, all the emotions and conflict of the band over the years, them speaking of Joe's struggle with drugs and alcohol and sobriety, and of course because I had seen this after Glenn's passing. So I had told myself that I was going to eventually watch it again. I figured today is a good a time as any. And once again, it brought me to tears. It really is one of the best music documentaries that I have ever seen.

sodascouts
02-08-2021, 01:32 AM
It really is a fantastic documentary. I haven’t rewatched it recently but I’m thinking about doing it now. Still, like you, I get pretty emotional.

Glennsallnighter
02-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Yes I tend to default to 'Farewell 1' but HOTE is magnificent too. I must watch it again as well. :idea: Anyone on for a watch party?

Glennsallnighter
02-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Finally decided to watch this again today. The first time I watched it, which was last August, I was so overwhelmed by it that I cried afterwards. Because of the great concert footage, all the emotions and conflict of the band over the years, them speaking of Joe's struggle with drugs and alcohol and sobriety, and of course because I had seen this after Glenn's passing. So I had told myself that I was going to eventually watch it again. I figured today is a good a time as any. And once again, it brought me to tears. It really is one of the best music documentaries that I have ever seen.

I remember watching it the evening after Glenn :heart: died because as I said at the time I had to see him alive once more before I could even begin to process that he was gone.

Elle81
02-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Aww, GA. You're going to make me cry. 5 years later and it's still hard for me to process it.

I re-watched it for two reasons.#1 like I said, it is a well put together documentary. and #2, I had thought that this had a clip of Don H. talking about Joe's struggle with addiction and he got so emotional that he had to step out of the camera's view for a second. And in HOTE, it's Felder who does that, when he's talking about being fired (I believe).
However, I know for certain that I saw an interview with the band and it was Henley that got choked up when he was talking about Joe. Now after watching it again, I know it had to have been some random tv interview.

KingWalsh
02-10-2021, 04:55 AM
What more can be said? Fantastic job love HOTE.