PDA

View Full Version : New Glenn Compilation

Shadowland07
03-16-2018, 02:25 AM
It'll be released May 11th, and includes what I'm assuming to be the complete Longbranch Pennywhistle album.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/above-the-clouds-the-collection-deluxe/1356883043

UndertheWire
03-16-2018, 06:09 AM
There's a little more detail at Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Above-Clouds-Collection-CD-DVD/dp/B079VD5TR7/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1521192805&sr=8-5&keywords=Glenn+Frey

Disc 3 is Long Branch Pennywhistle
Disc 4 is Live in Dublin

Unfortunately, there isn't anything I don't have already.

scottside
03-16-2018, 09:11 AM
What an absolute disappointment this is! There's nothing new or previously unreleased...

Glennsallnighter
03-16-2018, 09:35 AM
This is amazing, just before I woke up this morning I was dreaming I was at a press conference with Glenn :heart:. Someone asked me did I want to ask him a question to which I replied that I didn't think he'd want to answer 'will you come out to dinner with me after this' at a press conference. Then I woke up!!

And today I get the news that this new CD is being released.

Ok its just a coincidence.... right??

Ordered. I know I have all the individual stuff but it will be nice to have it together

BillBailey1976
03-16-2018, 10:17 AM
It will be nice to have an "official" dvd of the "Live in Dublin" concert.

groupie2686
03-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Oh, I want this...there's a lot of songs I don't have (I've been slowly building my collection) and the box set would be nice. I already have the Dublin DVD, though, I wish you could leave that out and lower the price just a bit. The price is a bit steep for me but it would be worth it.

buffyfan145
03-16-2018, 10:57 AM
That's awesome!!! :D

Pippinwhite
03-16-2018, 11:17 AM
I'd love to have this, especially for the Dublin concert. That would be awesome. Wish they'd re-released all his videos, too, so we could have good copies of them. Maybe one day...

UndertheWire
03-16-2018, 11:45 AM
I'm updating because I'd misunderstood. It's 3 CDs and a DVD. The Live Dublin video is finally getting a DVD release. Yay!

Dawn
03-16-2018, 03:03 PM
This is amazing, just before I woke up this morning I was dreaming I was at a press conference with Glenn :heart:. Someone asked me did I want to ask him a question to which I replied that I didn't think he'd want to answer 'will you come out to dinner with me after this' at a press conference. Then I woke up!!

And today I get the news that this new CD is being released.

Ok its just a coincidence.... right??

Ordered. I know I have all the individual stuff but it will be nice to have it together

LOL GA!!! I think you woke up too soon. ;-)

Delilah
03-16-2018, 05:10 PM
I’d love to have this. I have neither the Longbranch Pennywhistle album nor the dvd.

Freypower
03-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Oh dear.

How sadly ironic that Longbranch Pennywhistle, on which Glenn sings lead on TWO TRACKS, is being included in this. To me that just sums up how marginalised he continues to be. A box set of his own work cannot be released on which he sings lead on all the tracks.

While I am happy that Dublin will be released on DVD, I assumed that a couple of rarities such as Ain't It Love & It's Cold In Here might have been included and perhaps even the songs he did with Max Carl. I suppose I also had hoped for an After Hours concert performance.

WHY is his worst ever (in my opinion) solo song, Better In The USA, included? I heard it yesterday & as usual it made me cringe.

I will have to get it, but it could have been much better. I suppose I will sound like I am complaining, which I did not want to do, believe me, but I have to be honest about it. I will say that it's better than nothing & will no doubt be helpful to some fans.

UndertheWire
03-16-2018, 07:46 PM
I always have problems with compilations as I generally prefer the deeper cuts, and this is no different. I'd like to have the DVD.

groupie2686
03-16-2018, 08:49 PM
Oh dear.

How sadly ironic that Longbranch Pennywhistle, on which Glenn sings lead on TWO TRACKS, is being included in this. To me that just sums up how marginalised he continues to be. A box set of his own work cannot be released on which he sings lead on all the tracks.

Glenn only sang lead on two tracks?? I didn't know that. Hmmm. Why include that instead of more of his solo work then? Oh well, I still want it.

Dawn
03-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Thanks UTW

Disc: 1
1. The Heat Is On
2. Call On Me
3. Part Of Me, Part Of You
4. You Belong To The City
5. Smuggler's Blues
6. Sexy Girl
7. The Allnighter
8. Soul Searchin'
9. Same Girl
10. The One You Love
11. Strange Weather
12. I've Got Mine
13. River Of Dreams
14. Love In The 21st Century
15. Lyin' Eyes / Take It Easy (Medley - Live at the National Stadium, Dublin, Ireland / 1992)

Disc: 2
1. Let's Go Home
2. I Got Love
3. This Way To Happiness
4. Common Ground
5. After Hours
6. Rising Sun (Instrumental)
7. The Shadow Of Your Smile
8. Better In The U.S.A.
9. Brave New World
10. Caroline, No
11. For Sentimental Reasons
12. It's Too Soon To Know
13. Worried Mind
14. Lover's Moon
15. Route 66
16. True Love

Disc: 3
1. Jubilee Anne
2. Run Boy, Run
3. Rebecca
4. Lucky Love
5. Kite Woman
6. Bring Back Funky Women
7. Star - Spangled Bus
8. Mister, Mister
9. Don't Talk Now
10. Never Have Enough

Disc: 4. DVD
1. Long Hot Summer
2. Peaceful Easy Feeling
3. New Kid In Town
4. The One You Love
5. Strange Weather
6. I've Got Mine
7. Lyin' Eyes / Take It Easy (Medley)
8. Wild Mountain Thyme
9. River Of Dreams
10. True Love
11. Love In The 21st Century
12. Livin' Right
13. Smuggler's Blues
14. The Heat Is On
15. Heartache Tonight
16. Party Town
17. Desperado

luciknight
03-16-2018, 10:38 PM
Looking forward for the DVD part since I got all the rest :headbang:

sodascouts
03-17-2018, 09:59 AM
So glad we are finally getting a career retrospective! How exciting!

I'm thrilled Live in Dublin is going to be on DVD now, at last!

Also, good to see Longbranch Pennywhistle finally coming out on CD.

I hope there are some never-seen-before photos in there, too! I certainly like the cover.

I've already pre-ordered my copy.

sodascouts
03-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Oh dear.

He duets with JD on two songs, bringing his leads to four, but it's not a solo album. Still, I'm glad it's finally seeing a release in its entirety.

It may be old hat to us, but this is unreleased material to most of the world. This is the kind of thing people want! I like that it's included.

While I am happy that Dublin will be released on DVD, I assumed that a couple of rarities such as Ain't It Love & It's Cold In Here might have been included and perhaps even the songs he did with Max Carl. I suppose I also had hoped for an After Hours concert performance. Yes, the Japanese bonus tracks would have been nice. The Max Carl stuff... eh. He's not lead on that.

WHY is his worst ever (in my opinion) solo song, Better In The USA, included? I heard it yesterday & as usual it made me cringe.That's just personal taste. I like the song's pep!

I will have to get it, but it could have been much better. I suppose I will sound like I am complaining, which I did not want to do, believe me, but I have to be honest about it. I will say that it's better than nothing & will no doubt be helpful to some fans.I know I will enjoy it, and I'm sure many others will as well.

Pippinwhite
03-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Finally, a reason to use my Amazon gift cards! :D

I want the Dublin DVD, and the cover pic is, well... Yeah.

I'm not gonna quibble too much over what is and isn't included. As Soda said, most people will appreciate the collection. It's only hardcores like us who'll be nitpicky about it.

And the pics. The pics. Just sayin'...
:inlove:

Freypower
03-17-2018, 11:32 AM
He duets with JD on two songs, bringing his leads to four, but it's not a solo album. Still, I'm glad it's finally seeing a release in its entirety.

It may be old hat to us, but this is unreleased material to most of the world. This is the kind of thing people want! I like that it's included.

Yes, the Japanese bonus tracks would have been nice. The Max Carl stuff... eh. He's not lead on that.

That's just personal taste. I like the song's pep!

I know I will enjoy it, and I'm sure many others will as well.

Yes, Nancy. Of course. I know all of this. I am grateful for it too. I hope it might lead others to seek Glenn's work out.

sodascouts
03-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Additional note: now that Longbranch Pennywhistle will be available commercially, I took the MP3s off GFO (http://www.glennfreyonline.com). If you want to hear it, this will be the way to do it (outside of the old-school LP).

Glennsallnighter
03-17-2018, 12:56 PM
Yes so do I. I introduced quite a few people to Glenn :heart: by giving gifts of After Hours when it was released. I will do the same with this new one. I’m very pleased. I’ve wanted something like this for ages and hoped it would be done.

sodascouts
03-17-2018, 12:59 PM
I too gave After Hours as a gift to several people but this is a bit too pricey for me to pass around as much, lol. Maybe a couple very special friends!

chaim
03-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Great news!!

Dawn
03-17-2018, 01:49 PM
I gave a couple of After Hours CDs as gifts for the the holidays and they were a big hit with both recipients. I am planning to order one box set and one of the CD only options.

groupie2686
03-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Finally, a reason to use my Amazon gift cards! :D

I want the Dublin DVD, and the cover pic is, well... Yeah.

I'm not gonna quibble too much over what is and isn't included. As Soda said, most people will appreciate the collection. It's only hardcores like us who'll be nitpicky about it.

And the pics. The pics. Just sayin'...
:inlove:

Yes, the pics are great too! I wonder if there will be a book with photos included, it looked like there was.

sodascouts
03-17-2018, 02:59 PM
I gave a couple of After Hours CDs as gifts for the the holidays and they were a big hit with both recipients. I am planning to order one box set and one of the CD only options.

Of course - the CD only would make a great gift. I forgot about that option.

Glennsallnighter
03-18-2018, 11:20 AM
I wonder will they sell any merchandise with the release? I’d love to get a poster of the cover photo.

UndertheWire
03-18-2018, 01:48 PM
There's a promotional video: https://www.facebook.com/GlennFreyOfficial/videos/1619122401534820/

Brooke
03-19-2018, 11:41 AM
:yay: I've always wanted the Longbranch Pennywhistle album, so this will have to do. Sad Glenn only has 2 songs (4 with the duets though).

And the Live in Dublin dvd will be great!

I'm excited! :nod:

New Kid In Town
03-20-2018, 04:14 PM
I ordered mine today.

YoungEaglesFan
03-20-2018, 04:18 PM
It’s odd they referred to his solo career as “solid” that’s a very weak word when you’re trying to sell a compilation set.

New Kid In Town
03-20-2018, 04:25 PM
It’s odd they referred to his solo career as “solid” that’s a very weak word when you’re trying to sell a compilation set.

I did not read the review but that is kind of strange. I guess they say "solid" instead of "successful".

RudieCantFail
03-22-2018, 03:11 AM
I wonder how much of a difference in quality a Blu-ray would make the 4th disc, since I don't know what kind of cameras they used to film Live in Dublin. I know on The Dance they used a ratio or maybe it's the quality of the resolution that doesn't look good for Blu-ray, since they would probably have to stretch it or something.

Pippinwhite
03-22-2018, 11:49 AM
I still really wish they'd release a video compilation album of all Glenn's solo videos. That would be awesome.

OH! And Spotify has changed Glenn's artist pic from one from "After Hours" to the cover of "Above the Clouds." :heart:

shunlvswx
03-22-2018, 11:53 AM
I still really wish they'd release a video compilation album of all Glenn's solo videos. That would be awesome.

OH! And Spotify has changed Glenn's artist pic from one from "After Hours" to the cover of "Above the Clouds." :heart:

Pandora has changed Glenn's picture to Above the Clouds cover too for his radio station.

groupie2686
03-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Pandora has changed Glenn's picture to Above the Clouds cover too for his radio station.

My Pandora is playing songs from it already! How did it get it when it's not out yet?

shunlvswx
03-22-2018, 12:05 PM
My Pandora is playing songs from it already! How did it get it when it's not out yet?

Some of the songs from the boxset were already playing on the Pandora (mostly the well-known songs and the ones that were made singles). The other songs you have to listen to IHeart Radio (which you have to have All Access to hear the whole album). They probably just use a new picture for the songs. I know Pandora finally started to play songs from the Live From Dublin CD.

Pippinwhite
03-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Spotify has all Glenn's albums in their entirety, including the 1995 "Solo Collection." And they're showcasing a few cuts from "ATC."

groupie2686
03-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Some of the songs from the boxset were already playing on the Pandora (mostly the well-known songs and the ones that were made singles). The other songs you have to listen to IHeart Radio (which you have to have All Access to hear the whole album). They probably just use a new picture for the songs. I know Pandora finally started to play songs from the Live From Dublin CD.

My Pandora has been playing songs from Live from Dublin for about a year now, and occasionally plays deep cuts as well - I heard half of the Soul Searchin' album one afternoon and I was ecstatic. It will also occasionally play songs from After Hours (again, ecstatic).

Anyway, I thought maybe Irving had released an advanced copy to Pandora, Spotify, IHeart Radio, etc., to promote it. (A side question - is Irving even behind this? I know Glenn was not managed by Irving for his solo career in the 80s and early 90s).

shunlvswx
03-22-2018, 12:21 PM
I have Spotify on my laptop, but not at my work computer. I haven't listen to Spotify in a long time.

I kinda hate that IHeart Radio doesn't have the Soul Searchin' album to listen to. They have After Hours, No Fun Aloud, Solo Collection, and Strange Weather, but no Soul Searchin'. Any songs from that album is on the Solo Collection. I notice IHeart does have the two digital songs.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Wow - I'm a little late to the party here, but am very excited about this as well. My only complaint is the glaring omission of songs from 'No Fun Aloud' - The One You Love is the only song from that album, which is too bad. Maybe the copyright issues from the album never got resolved. But, anyway, in spite of this, I'm still very glad to have this.

Pippinwhite
03-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Spotify has the "Soul Searchin'" album. Just FYI for those who are interested. The Dublin album has been available on Amazon music for a while now.

WalshFan88
03-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Definitely pre-ordered. I'm very excited. I hope the Dublin DVD is better quality than the bootleg I have.

I echo Dreamer's sentiment though about the songs from No Fun Aloud. I love Partytown.

Freypower
03-22-2018, 06:48 PM
My Pandora has been playing songs from Live from Dublin for about a year now, and occasionally plays deep cuts as well - I heard half of the Soul Searchin' album one afternoon and I was ecstatic. It will also occasionally play songs from After Hours (again, ecstatic).

Anyway, I thought maybe Irving had released an advanced copy to Pandora, Spotify, IHeart Radio, etc., to promote it. (A side question - is Irving even behind this? I know Glenn was not managed by Irving for his solo career in the 80s and early 90s).

That's a good question, but I assume that Irving has taken responsibility for Glenn's solo work now.

It hadn't occurred to me there was only one track from NFA. Give me I Found Somebody or That Girl over Better In The USA any day, thanks. Although Partytown is on Dublin, of course.

New Kid In Town
03-22-2018, 08:46 PM
I believe Irving is/was one of the executors of Glenn's will. I wonder who made the decision to go ahead with this project. I am glad it is finally being released.

groupie2686
03-23-2018, 09:57 AM
I believe Irving is/was one of the executors of Glenn's will. I wonder who made the decision to go ahead with this project. I am glad it is finally being released.

I thought I'd read somewhere that Cindy is the executor (or executrix, to be precise) of the will...anyway, whoever made the decision, I'm glad it's being released too. I wonder pre-ordering is necessary though...is it going to sell out? I usually wait for things to come out before ordering them.

UndertheWire
03-23-2018, 10:54 AM
If you pre-order, it can be shipped in advance of the release date so that you should get it on release date.

I see it is being released by Geffen Records, although the man himself is now longer involved. Apart from No Fun Aloud, Glenn's solo work has all been for labels that are now part of Universal.

Freypower
03-23-2018, 05:48 PM
I thought I'd read somewhere that Cindy is the executor (or executrix, to be precise) of the will...anyway, whoever made the decision, I'm glad it's being released too. I wonder pre-ordering is necessary though...is it going to sell out? I usually wait for things to come out before ordering them.

She is probably the executrix of the private estate. It's common to have more than one person executing a will.

I hope this does well & that there may be some unreleased After Hours material or another solo concert which could be released at some point, but I am not very hopeful.

sodascouts
03-23-2018, 11:49 PM
I see it is being released by Geffen Records, although the man himself is now longer involved. Apart from No Fun Aloud, Glenn's solo work has all been for labels that are now part of Universal.

It's being released by Geffen Records? Wow... I always thought the reason No Fun Aloud is consistently ignored on every Greatest Hits package was because of issues with Geffen (even "The One You Love" was always a live version rather than the album version), but now... I have no idea why No Fun Aloud keeps getting the shaft.

In my opinion, it's second only to Strange Weather in terms of overall quality, and I have several favorite tracks ("That Girl" is one of my top five Glenn solo songs)."I Found Somebody" made the top 40, and it's not included here... why?

Something's up with No Fun Aloud.

Freypower
03-24-2018, 06:23 PM
It's being released by Geffen Records? Wow... I always thought the reason No Fun Aloud is consistently ignored on every Greatest Hits package was because of issues with Geffen (even "The One You Love" was always a live version rather than the album version), but now... I have no idea why No Fun Aloud keeps getting the shaft.

In my opinion, it's second only to Strange Weather in terms of overall quality, and I have several favorite tracks ("That Girl" is one of my top five Glenn solo songs)."I Found Somebody" made the top 40, and it's not included here... why?

Something's up with No Fun Aloud.

Well that's bizarre. Although a couple of the tracks appear on Dublin it certainly should have more representation on the solo work discs.

Freypower
04-13-2018, 08:34 PM
This is from JD Souther's Facebook page:

would like to congratulate everyone involved in the creation of Above The Clouds, a beautiful and exceptional collection of Glenn Frey’s unique voice in music, here expressed in his solo career. It is an imposing body of work and just as rich and genuine as you would expect. It is also a fitting tribute to the man who flew front seat in that exceptional songwriting and harmony phenomenon called Eagles, the biggest band in American history. Glenn was my first songwriting partner in Los Angeles when we were pups and I’m a far better song writer for knowing him. He brought a spark to every thing he touched, lit up every room he entered, and brought a rock solid integrity to every song he worked on. Check out “Run Boy, Run” from Longbranch/Pennywhistle, our virgin album as singer/songwriters. It’s a good song, rock solid and a first look of what was to follow. I could go on and on about Glenn but there are simply too many good things to say and besides, you could be listening to him sing instead of reading about him. As Linda Ronstadt put it the day after Glenn left us; “What to say? It’s a little bit different world now”. Perfectly said, so here is a big box of his beautiful music to give life after Glenn some more groove, a few more tears, and a whole lot more light. Cheers Glenn, and thank you.

scottside
04-13-2018, 11:34 PM

would like to congratulate everyone involved in the creation of Above The Clouds, a beautiful and exceptional collection of Glenn Frey’s unique voice in music, here expressed in his solo career. It is an imposing body of work and just as rich and genuine as you would expect. It is also a fitting tribute to the man who flew front seat in that exceptional songwriting and harmony phenomenon called Eagles, the biggest band in American history. Glenn was my first songwriting partner in Los Angeles when we were pups and I’m a far better song writer for knowing him. He brought a spark to every thing he touched, lit up every room he entered, and brought a rock solid integrity to every song he worked on. Check out “Run Boy, Run” from Longbranch/Pennywhistle, our virgin album as singer/songwriters. It’s a good song, rock solid and a first look of what was to follow. I could go on and on about Glenn but there are simply too many good things to say and besides, you could be listening to him sing instead of reading about him. As Linda Ronstadt put it the day after Glenn left us; “What to say? It’s a little bit different world now”. Perfectly said, so here is a big box of his beautiful music to give life after Glenn some more groove, a few more tears, and a whole lot more light. Cheers Glenn, and thank you.

Well said and it actually brought tears to my eyes...

groupie2686
04-13-2018, 11:48 PM

That's beautiful.

UndertheWire
04-14-2018, 04:32 PM
JD has such a way with words. It's a treat to read something like that.

sodascouts
04-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Lovely.

Brooke
04-16-2018, 02:15 PM
What a lovely tribute from JD! :heart:

Glennsallnighter
05-01-2018, 08:30 AM
10 days to go (although knowing my mailing in Ireland it will take longer to get there)

groupie2686
05-02-2018, 01:08 PM
I'm curious about why certain songs were selected and others were not. Only one song from No Fun Aloud, half of Disc 2 is from After Hours, and then there's Longbranch Pennywhistle...why did it not include more of his 80s/early 90s work? I understand it wasn't that successful, but a box set like this should be comprehensive and most of his solo work was from 1982-1992. I wonder who made this decision - Cindy? Irving? The record label?

Freypower
05-02-2018, 09:38 PM
I'm curious about why certain songs were selected and others were not. Only one song from No Fun Aloud, half of Disc 2 is from After Hours, and then there's Longbranch Pennywhistle...why did it not include more of his 80s/early 90s work? I understand it wasn't that successful, but a box set like this should be comprehensive and most of his solo work was from 1982-1992. I wonder who made this decision - Cindy? Irving? The record label?

You make some good points.

As I said earlier in the thread, Glenn only sings lead on a handful of the Longbranch songs. It's mainly J.D. Souther. It should have been given a standalone release. It has nothing to do with Glenn's solo career. I also feel that Dublin should have been given a separate release, years ago. Lumping these together emphasises how small Glenn's output as a solo artist was.

I have to say I don't know why you would think Cindy would make decisions about this. She is not part of the industry. I suppose we will get more information when it is released, but yet again I see it as a lost opportunity.

groupie2686
05-02-2018, 11:34 PM
You make some good points.

As I said earlier in the thread, Glenn only sings lead on a handful of the Longbranch songs. It's mainly J.D. Souther. It should have been given a standalone release. It has nothing to do with Glenn's solo career. I also feel that Dublin should have been given a separate release, years ago. Lumping these together emphasises how small Glenn's output as a solo artist was.

I have to say I don't know why you would think Cindy would make decisions about this. She is not part of the industry. I suppose we will get more information when it is released, but yet again I see it as a lost opportunity.

I thought of Cindy because I assume she has Glenn's rights to his music, but you're right, that doesn't necessarily mean she would make a decision like this.

I can't think of why whoever made this decision would not include much of his 80s & 90s work. Knowing that JD sang lead on most of the LP songs makes this even more disappointing. A lost opportunity, for sure.

Freypower
05-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Cindy would have rights to Glenn's private estate, not his music. At least that's what I would have thought - copyright & ownership would have been vested in the publishing company rather than in an individual.

I did find this though:

https://www.royaltyexchange.com/length-of-ownership-music

Even if she does have the rights I would have thought it highly unlikely that she would have overseen the compilation.

FreyFollower
05-03-2018, 02:21 AM
Of course, I am happy to have this compilation coming out. But I agree with others that it disappoints on several counts. The Longbranch-Pennywhistle album will be great to have to complete collections. But I have heard the tracks, and they're just not to my taste.
Far better to me would have been a "Complete Solo Works" offering. The early albums are hard to find outside the Lp format.
Many of my favorites have been left out of this set. With so few albums, I don't know why all cuts could not have been included.
I am very happy about the concert video, though; I have only been able to find it in VHS.
Unreleased video or audio would have been awesome!
Sometimes you wonder if the industry folks do any market research with real fans on projects such as this!:headscratch:

UndertheWire
05-03-2018, 04:52 AM
As I've managed to collect all the solo albums as well as "The Solo Collection" (which has four new tracks), what I'd really like is a CD with all the more obscure tracks that were released somewhere in the world. That would include:

Living in Darkness (My copy of The Allnighter has The Heat is On instead)
Flip City
It's Cold in Here
Ain't it Love
Working Man (slow version)

It would need something else, so possibilities are:
Run Boy, Run and Rebbeca from Longbranch Pennywhistle
(Get Up) Kate - one of the bonus tracks on The Capitol Collection by Linda Ronstadt
Get you in the Mood - TIE B-side
The four new tracks from The Solo Collection
Show me the Money from Max Carl and Big Dance
Desperado from the Dublin concert

and, of course, any recorded but, as yet, unreleased tracks.

Still, I'm happy there will be a release of something and a DVD of the Dublin show is something to look forward to. I just wish it had come out a lot sooner and saved me the money I spent on "No Fun Aloud", "Longbranch Pennywhistle" and the Dublin VHS tape.

I don't see his catalogue as being that small and at least it is of a fairly consistent standard. It's not as if the tracks that have been omitted are horrible - they include some of my favourites.

groupie2686
05-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Cindy would have rights to Glenn's private estate, not his music. At least that's what I would have thought - copyright & ownership would have been vested in the publishing company rather than in an individual.

I did find this though:

https://www.royaltyexchange.com/length-of-ownership-music

Even if she does have the rights I would have thought it highly unlikely that she would have overseen the compilation.

You're probably right.

A "complete solo works" offering, with all 5 albums (or all 4 80s/90s albums, as After Hours is still in print and available), with a CD offering rarities would have been great.

Freypower
05-03-2018, 07:35 PM
As I've managed to collect all the solo albums as well as "The Solo Collection" (which has four new tracks), what I'd really like is a CD with all the more obscure tracks that were released somewhere in the world. That would include:

Living in Darkness (My copy of The Allnighter has The Heat is On instead)
Flip City
It's Cold in Here
Ain't it Love
Working Man (slow version)

It would need something else, so possibilities are:
Run Boy, Run and Rebbeca from Longbranch Pennywhistle
(Get Up) Kate - one of the bonus tracks on The Capitol Collection by Linda Ronstadt
Get you in the Mood - TIE B-side
The four new tracks from The Solo Collection
Show me the Money from Max Carl and Big Dance
Desperado from the Dublin concert

and, of course, any recorded but, as yet, unreleased tracks.

Still, I'm happy there will be a release of something and a DVD of the Dublin show is something to look forward to. I just wish it had come out a lot sooner and saved me the money I spent on "No Fun Aloud", "Longbranch Pennywhistle" and the Dublin VHS tape.

I don't see his catalogue as being that small and at least it is of a fairly consistent standard. It's not as if the tracks that have been omitted are horrible - they include some of my favourites.

I agree with that. Good suggestions. But I don't agree that the catalogue isn't small. Sadly, it is.

There were unused After Hours songs. I know for a fact he did Rainy Night In Georgia. Also there are live tracks which I am sure could be remastered. Videos of them exist & audios are on YouTube. They include:

Werewolves Of London (the version of Life In The Fast Lane from this show has vanished)
All Shook Up
What's Going On
Cool Jerk
Somewhree Somebody (another track with Max Carl)

Then there is the jazz version of The Heat Is On & the swamp version of Smuggler's Blues.

And the song which I saw live but have never found a version of it anywhere - Sam Cooke's I'll Come Running Back To You.

Glennsallnighter
05-04-2018, 05:14 AM
I loved 'I'll come Running back to you' so much - that was a great night

BillBailey1976
05-08-2018, 01:42 PM
My Glenn Frey set will be here Friday. I am looking forward to the "Strange Weather" Concert. I had this on VHS way back in the day.
I don't think we can rule out future releases, such as a complete collection, as has been suggested here.
Look at how many Eagles sets have been released. This may have been dipping the toes in the water, to see how much interest there is in Glenn's solo work.
I'd love a Glenn Frey Box set, similarly packaged to how the Eagles Studio Album collection is packaged.

scottside
05-08-2018, 02:52 PM
My Glenn Frey set will be here Friday. I am looking forward to the "Strange Weather" Concert. I had this on VHS way back in the day.
I don't think we can rule out future releases, such as a complete collection, as has been suggested here.
Look at how many Eagles sets have been released. This may have been dipping the toes in the water, to see how much interest there is in Glenn's solo work.
I'd love a Glenn Frey Box set, similarly packaged to how the Eagles Studio Album collection is packaged.

I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that Glenn's complete catalog gets reissued (remastered) at some point and maybe there will be some kind of bonus tracks added then. I'm hoping for at least that because this forthcoming box set leaves me very dissatisfied. I already own everything on it in some form or another.

OntheBorder74
05-08-2018, 04:59 PM
For me the Longbranch Pennywhistle album is the most interesting part, I always wanted a clearer and higher quality version of the album to hear songs like Star Spangled Bus which are well arranged, I think this is the album where Glenn's arrangement sense was first heard, also he has a few prominent vocal spots in Jubilee Ann Bring Back Funky Women and Don't Talk Now with the latter practically a Glenn Lead as he is far more audible then JD for a change. Only the last track is completely forgettable!

Freypower
05-08-2018, 06:43 PM
For me the Longbranch Pennywhistle album is the most interesting part, I always wanted a clearer and higher quality version of the album to hear songs like Star Spangled Bus which are well arranged, I think this is the album where Glenn's arrangement sense was first heard, also he has a few prominent vocal spots in Jubilee Ann Bring Back Funky Women and Don't Talk Now with the latter practically a Glenn Lead as he is far more audible then JD for a change. Only the last track is completely forgettable!

Totally agree about Never Have Enough, which is an embarrassment.

However I still don't think this album should have been included in this box set.

longtimeeaglesfan
05-09-2018, 02:46 PM
https://pilotonline.com/entertainment/music/article_f819ad57-fad8-5668-b9ec-84f4d1cf1a47.html

An article about the release including comments from Cindy and Deacon.

Freypower
05-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Cindy's comments are very telling. If she's getting comfort from this, than more power to her. It is not for me to question how she feels about it particularly in relation to Deacon's participation.

My own feelings about it will never change.

UndertheWire
05-10-2018, 07:45 AM
"Cindy Frey said she wants people to remember the diversity of her husband's sound"

That helps make sense of the choices for the collection and also for the inclusion of Longbranch Pennywhistle.

The LP CD is an unusual choice but it's something that shows what Glenn brought into the fledgling Eagles and it brings it to a wider audience than a separate release would have.

The Dublin DVD shows that he could put on a good show without Henley and co.

The variety of songs on the other two songs shows that there's more to his catalogue than "The Heat is On" and "You Belong to the City". Hopefully, it will make people want to hear even more.

I hadn't realised that it's released TOMORROW! It seemed so far away when I ordered.

From the UK's Daily Express:

REISSUE OF THE WEEK: Glenn Frey – Above The Clouds: The Very Best Of… (UMC, 3CD, IDVD)
Two years on from his untimely death, former Eagles founder Frey (right) gets a fitting tribute that proves both his group and solo work ran a lot deeper and wider than his most famous hit (and Beverly Hills Cop theme), The Heat Is On.
Rating: 4/5

Glennsallnighter
05-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Well mine has been dispatched- hopefully will arrive very soon.

Dawn
05-11-2018, 05:25 AM
Cindy's comments are very telling. If she's getting comfort from this, than more power to her. It is not for me to question how she feels about it particularly in relation to Deacon's participation.

I could not agree more.

UndertheWire
05-11-2018, 11:09 AM
It's arrived. Everyone knows what to expect from the CDs and DVD, so I'll add that the package also includes a 20 page booklet with a write-up of Glenn's career written by someone called Ian McCann and a lot of photos from around 1992 (some alternates from the Strange Weather album cover shoot).

shunlvswx
05-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Since I wasn't able to get my ticket to see Donny and Marie in July(it sold out in just a few weeks after it was announced), I'm going to order it. I might do it after my cruise. I haven't thought about it yet. I'm saving money for cruise and then saving for New Orleans next month. I'm also still trying to get the HC boxset.

I have a bootleg version of the Dublin show. I've listen to a few of Longbranch Pennywhistle when they did the Eagles channel. I don't have that many of Glenn's songs on my phone other than he's big hits, but most of those songs I've listen to on IHeart Radio.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the 20 page book. I love those.

05-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Dang it - I got an email and won't be receiving mine until next week. That's why I dislike pre-ordering so much. However, I was afraid not to in this case because I didn't know how much luck I would have finding it in the retail stores.

I totally agree with you as well, FP. As we've said before, the Eagles' music and Glenn's contributions are going to live on because it is great music. So, I have to respectfully disagree with Cindy that this current tour will do anything to add to that. I will continue to believe the best way to protect the band's legacy and honor Glenn's memory would have been to retire the band when Glenn passed. There are lots of other ways that the family and friends can help preserve Glenn's music and place in American rock history, but I don't want to take this thread too far off topic. However, this boxset is one of those ways, so I am thankful that it is being released.

sodascouts
05-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Mine is arriving today but maddeningly, I am leaving for Nashville with my friend who is visiting in about an hour and will not be able to listen to it for a couple days. I am eager to see this booklet. Very exciting!

groupie2686
05-11-2018, 01:31 PM
I didn't order this yet; I usually don't pre-order things and wait for the price to come down. For those who have it, would anyone be able to scan some of the pictures and upload them here? I'd love to see the pictures!

Pippinwhite
05-11-2018, 01:31 PM
@soda -- wish you could stop in and say hi since I'm not even 2 hours south of Nashvegas. Have a wonderful trip! (However, if you'd like to meet in Columbia, which is about 30 minutes south of town, let me know. I'd love to see you!)

Glennsallnighter
05-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Mine is arriving today but maddeningly, I am leaving for Nashville with my friend who is visiting in about an hour and will not be able to listen to it for a couple days. I am eager to see this booklet. Very exciting!

Even though it's not quite the same I got it on Spotify today but to be 'real' I'm looking forward to the hard copy. Can't wait for the 20 page booklet too ❤️

BillBailey1976
05-12-2018, 07:16 AM
I got my set yesterday. It was mostly as expected, since I'd heard pretty much all of Glenn's early solo stuff. Also the DVD was nice. I hadn't seen it in years (since the VHS).
I don't care for the Longbranch Pennywhistle stuff...I am glad that it wasn't the group that Glenn tried to make it with.....so sad if we'd had that instead of the Eagles.
Also, I guess I'd never listened to the After Hours songs before. I found those entirely unappealing.

OntheBorder74
05-12-2018, 10:11 AM
I bought the mp3 of the longbranch tracks they are good clear hq versions such as star spangled bus but there are some disappointments, such as on kite woman the intro has been shortened getting rid of the opening humming melody at the start which would've sounded great in High quality, it was a similar opening hum to the one henley frey do at the start of good day in hell(I know a really specific observation here but it was a nice addition to the arrangement).

Worst is Bring Back Funky Women, which sounds like has JD Souther rerecording his vocal its definitely not the original as I have some of the vinyl tracks from youtube, it sounds like him older straining for a higher vocal then how natural he sounds on the rest of that album. Also JD has been mixed significantly higher on this song which is a shame because on the original version you barely hear JD to the point it sounds like a glenn lead vocal for most of the track now Glenn's lead harmony vocal is buried in the background beneath JD like they diminished Glenn's presence on the song which I dont understand seeing this is a project serving to highlight glenn.
Oh well a long review but still worth my money for the mp3 versions, definetly not the cd.

Glennsallnighter
05-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Well I really didnt contemplate that the new compilation would be available in Ireland yet as it took 6 weeks after its release to get After Hours onto our shelves. But I was passing a local music store this morning and there it was on display. So naturally I bought it. So far have disc 1 listened to and I must sta its great to hear Glenn :heart:'s voice on a new release. I think Disc 1 has a very eclectic range of his music. Looking forward to hearing the other discs now.
Oh and the 20 page booklet...... to die for.....

CAinOH
05-12-2018, 05:10 PM
I had something interesting happen to me on Amazon with this. I pre-ordered back in March, shortly after it was announced. Of course, all the notes said that it would be shipped when ready and that I should have received it yesterday, release day.

According to my Amazon order list, the item wasn't even being showed as shipped for most of the day. Found out from someone else in the same boat that she called to find out what was going on. She was told to cancel her current order and reorder. (We hadn't been charged because they don't charge until shipped.) Best she could do was a Sunday receipt. She advised me to do the same.

I did, but I noticed that Amazon now had two entries for this. One was marked out of inventory to be shipped at a later date. The second (and a dollar more!) was available. So I cancelled my order, reordered, and it's now marked to arrive tomorrow.

I had never pre-ordered on Amazon before. Not so sure I will ever do it again.

scottside
05-12-2018, 05:53 PM
I had something interesting happen to me on Amazon with this. I pre-ordered back in March, shortly after it was announced. Of course, all the notes said that it would be shipped when ready and that I should have received it yesterday, release day.

According to my Amazon order list, the item wasn't even being showed as shipped for most of the day. Found out from someone else in the same boat that she called to find out what was going on. She was told to cancel her current order and reorder. (We hadn't been charged because they don't charge until shipped.) Best she could do was a Sunday receipt. She advised me to do the same.

I did, but I noticed that Amazon now had two entries for this. One was marked out of inventory to be shipped at a later date. The second (and a dollar more!) was available. So I cancelled my order, reordered, and it's now marked to arrive tomorrow.

I had never pre-ordered on Amazon before. Not so sure I will ever do it again.

I'm an Amazon Prime member and also ordered this back in March. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but I heard nothing. Then this morning I got an email from them telling me it would arrive on Wednesday and there really was no good excuse for the delay. If this was all new material, I would've cancelled the order, but I'll wait it out this time. Mostly, Amazon is pretty efficient...just not this time...

New Kid In Town
05-12-2018, 06:41 PM
I'm an Amazon Prime member and also ordered this back in March. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but I heard nothing. Then this morning I got an email from them telling me it would arrive on Wednesday and there really was no good excuse for the delay. If this was all new material, I would've cancelled the order, but I'll wait it out this time. Mostly, Amazon is pretty efficient...just not this time...

Hi SS, I also ordered mine in March. I just checked my order and it said it is expected to arrive May 17th or 18th. I also will wait to see how things go.

Dawn
05-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Well I really didnt contemplate that the new compilation would be available in Ireland yet as it took 6 weeks after its release to get After Hours onto our shelves. But I was passing a local music store this morning and there it was on display. So naturally I bought it. So far have disc 1 listened to and I must sta its great to hear Glenn :heart:'s voice on a new release. I think Disc 1 has a very eclectic range of his music. Looking forward to hearing the other discs now.
Oh and the 20 page booklet...... to die for.....

Awesome, so happy you got it so quickly and easily! Enjoy!! :cheers:

Dawn
05-12-2018, 07:32 PM
That's disappointing about Amazon, I have a Prime acct as well but haven't ordered yet - something came up the day I planned to then I forgot. Hope those who pre ordered get theirs soon!

Dawn
05-12-2018, 07:42 PM
It's arrived. Everyone knows what to expect from the CDs and DVD, so I'll add that the package also includes a 20 page booklet with a write-up of Glenn's career written by someone called Ian McCann and a lot of photos from around 1992 (some alternates from the Strange Weather album cover shoot).

Thanks UTW, the booklet sounds neat -- glad your set arrived!

Freypower
05-13-2018, 07:52 PM
This is barely worth the effort. Apparently the version of Route 66 is 'pointless' and Smuggler's Blues is about the drug trade 'from one of its best paying customers'. There is the inevitalbe putdown in comparison with Henley's work, and underneath it is a link to HENLEY's Boys Of Summer. Go figure.

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/glenn-frey-above-the-clouds-the-collection-review

Surely Glenn deserves better than this? He was a very talented man, and yet it appears that all that can be done is compare him unfavourably with Henley. I don't get it.

CAinOH
05-13-2018, 09:07 PM
This is barely worth the effort. Apparently the version of Route 66 is 'pointless' and Smuggler's Blues is about the drug trade 'from one of its best paying customers'. There is the inevitalbe putdown in comparison with Henley's work, and underneath it is a link to HENLEY's Boys Of Summer. Go figure.

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/glenn-frey-above-the-clouds-the-collection-review

Surely Glenn deserves better than this? He was a very talented man, and yet it appears that all that can be done is compare him unfavourably with Henley. I don't get it.

Pretentious much? (The reviewer, not you, FP.)

UndertheWire
05-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Pointless rather than pretentious. It's ok not to like something or to prefer something else, but there's nothing in that review to show he even listened to it.

FreyFollower
05-14-2018, 09:13 AM

I agree. The reviewer in his limited space to describe the project to potential buyers, chooses instead to compare the works to someone who had nothing to do with it, and link a video of his, instead of a video of Glenn's which would remind readers of the great songs in THIS collection. You know, the album he is supposed to be discussing?:mad:
The critic obviously didn't know that the context of Route 66 was a standards album. But a fun cover, even if he didn't know that.

Rather than describing Smuggler's Blues musically, he chooses to take a dig at Glenn personally.
IMO, reviews should be written by objective persons, not someone who had already made up their mind to dislike it. And agreeing also with UTW, he probably didn't even listen to it. Rant over.

Delilah
05-14-2018, 09:56 AM
Well the reviewer did say “The best of it comes on the first disc, with the hits he had as a solo artist” as well as “The second disc has lesser-known solo tracks, some good and some bad” which would seem to indicate he did listen to them. It’s possible though, he could have just scanned over the listed track titles and said the same thing. I do think it’s a pretty lame review., esp. mentioning Henley in 3 out of 4 paragraphs.

Could someone verify these are CDs and not CD-Rs?

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Could someone verify these are CDs and not CD-Rs?

I have my copy right here. What am I looking for to determine the difference?

groupie2686
05-14-2018, 11:04 AM
I read the review too - how sad that Glenn's work can't be evaluated on its own merit, without comparing it to Henley's.

For those of us who haven't been able to get this yet, would someone be able to share some pictures from the booklet?

Delilah
05-14-2018, 11:26 AM
I have my copy right here. What am I looking for to determine the difference?

CD-Rs will generally have a green or bluish color on the playing side and a generic batch number on the hub, not a catalog number. Another clue is the lack of the company logo or manufacturer.

I doubt this set has CD-Rs but it has happened before with Universal.

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 11:40 AM
CD-Rs will generally have a green or bluish color on the playing side and a generic batch number on the hub, not a catalog number. Another clue is the lack of the company logo or manufacturer.

I doubt this set has CD-Rs but it has happened before with Universal.

Wow, never noticed that before, but you're right. I compared CD 1 from the collection to a CD-R and the CD-R is definitely more blue-green in color. As for the hub number, you're talking on the playing side? This is what's there: DIDX-1089923, IFPI L327, and a bar code.

Amazon is also reporting that the collection is:
#1 in CDs & Vinyl > Classic Rock
#14 in CDs & Vinyl > Rock
#24 in CDs & Vinyl > Pop

for whatever that's worth. I'm sure that's Amazon's own lists.

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 11:45 AM
For those of us who haven't been able to get this yet, would someone be able to share some pictures from the booklet?

I need to find a place to "plop" photos, but I took this photo of the inside cover. It's somewhere on Facebook, just not sure it's in a public place. (I'll try to get photos of the booklet at lunch time.)

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32459413_2057719794439664_4517456660746207232_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=0034512fe6d2e196e2a5f782719dfa30&oe=5B50AFC6

Delilah
05-14-2018, 11:53 AM
Wow, never noticed that before, but you're right. I compared CD 1 from the collection to a CD-R and the CD-R is definitely more blue-green in color. As for the hub number, you're talking on the playing side? This is what's there: DIDX-1089923, IFPI L327, and a bar code.

Amazon is also reporting that the collection is:
#1 in CDs & Vinyl > Classic Rock
#14 in CDs & Vinyl > Rock
#24 in CDs & Vinyl > Pop

for whatever that's worth. I'm sure that's Amazon's own lists.

Thanks! This appears to be a CD then. And nice pic of Glenn.

05-14-2018, 01:31 PM
I agree. The reviewer in his limited space to describe the project to potential buyers, chooses instead to compare the works to someone who had nothing to do with it, and link a video of his, instead of a video of Glenn's which would remind readers of the great songs in THIS collection. You know, the album he is supposed to be discussing?:mad:
The critic obviously didn't know that the context of Route 66 was a standards album. But a fun cover, even if he didn't know that.

Rather than describing Smuggler's Blues musically, he chooses to take a dig at Glenn personally.
IMO, reviews should be written by objective persons, not someone who had already made up their mind to dislike it. And agreeing also with UTW, he probably didn't even listen to it. Rant over.

ITA - this 'reviewer', and I use that term very loosely, is just downright tacky.

East Texas Girl
05-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Great picture of Glenn!! Thanks CAinOH!

Pippinwhite
05-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Oh, that review is pretentious, all right. Sounds just like some of the stuff people said about the Eagles years ago. I'm reminded of Glenn's comment in his interviews with Bob Costas about some music writers setting themselves up as "arbiters of taste," whether they were really qualified to do so or not.

Those of us who are Paul McCartney fans are all too familiar with this method, because we've seen way too many "Paul: hackneyed, saccharine kinda songwriter vs. John: relevant, visionary GENIUS." This for the man who let Yoko have solo vocalizations (they're not songs, for sure) on his albums. About as far as Paul went was Linda singing, "Cook of the House," which was a lightweight little song. Linda didn't have a good voice, but then again, never pretended to be a singer. She was a photographer, and a darn good one. And say what you will about Paul, you didn't pick up an album of his that had the charming song title, "Woman is the N**** of the World" on it. I kid you not. But that kind of crap made John "fearless" and "willing to address critical social issues." Didn't matter that some of his stuff was cringe-inducing for other reasons.

It's exactly the same dynamic here. Some people think if it's not preachy and intense all the time, it's not good. Glenn had social commentary on his albums -- he was just usually sneakier about it than Don. Spoonful of sugar and all that. Plus, it really bothers some critics when the musicians are obviously having FUN! I am put in mind of "Partytown." Clearly, Glenn was just having a blast on that record. Which does not negate its quality in the least. It's a good, rocking little song. And a sly one.

I love John and I love Don, too. "Boys of Summer" is one of my favorite songs by any artist. It's a really, really great song. BUT, is it that much better than anything Glenn ever released? Not to me. And when Don gets his preachy pants on, he's as irritating as any artist could be. The title track on LROOE is a prime example. It's OK to start with, but has no business being 7 minutes long. It's not that good. Four minutes would have been more than enough.

Just my fifty cents' worth. But you get my drift.

OntheBorder74
05-14-2018, 02:15 PM
I feel like Don would try to hard in places, too preachy, where as little observations and cute couplets sug by glenn were far more effective such as the lyrics of lyin eyes which I feel doesnt smack you over the head with what its really trying to say, Glenns legacy is still too underappreciated and entwined with that of the Eagles, Smugglers Blues is such a lyrical masterpiece for me again like LE its not overdone

groupie2686
05-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Thanks for sharing the photo, CAinOH!

For those who have this already, have the tracks been remastered? My pandora has started playing tracks from Above the Clouds - I've heard True Love, You Belong to the City, and the Lyin' Eyes/Take It Easy medley so far, and they come in super loud, much louder these tracks have played when they come from other albums (or indeed, than anything else my Pandora has played yet today...nothing like blasting You Belong to the City to the entire office!)

New Kid In Town
05-14-2018, 05:12 PM
That reviewer was a jerk. I hate that everything Glenn did in his solo career has to be compared to Don. I loved Don's solo work but, not everything he did was a masterpiece. He had some clunkers too. Also, I did/do not care for the preaching in his songs(or anyone else's songs either). He had already made his snarky mind up before he ever wrote the review. :scowl:

Pippinwhite
05-14-2018, 05:37 PM
@NKIT and Groupie -- Exactly. Even Glenn has some clunkers in the closet. (I'd love to hear a completely re-worked "Living in Darkness", for instance.) NO artist ever has a career as long as theirs without throwing out a few that make you wince. I can cite some stinkers for nearly every artist I can think of. Definitely had his mind made up before he typed the review.

He just got added to the Eagles' Fans Official Punch 'Em On Sight List.

:yuck:

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 05:59 PM
I know I promised these at lunch time, but I decided I wanted nice scans. That meant waiting until after work so the guys around here don't wonder what "the crazy lady" is doing. Well, at least wonder what this particular project is.

I scanned in the complete booklet. I have a pdf, but looking at it, for some reason the scanner decided two of the pages were landscape instead of portrait. Grr... bear with me. I'll get this.

Jacket inside front photo...

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Jacket inside back photo.

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Booklet cover.

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Pages 2, 3

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Pages 4, 5

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Pages 6, 7

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Pages 8, 9

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Pages 10, 11 (Centerfold!)

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:19 PM
Pages 12, 13

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Pages 14, 15

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Pages 16, 17 (Love what page 16 says!)

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Pages 18, 19... and that's all!

Pippinwhite
05-14-2018, 06:30 PM
@CAinOH -- THANK YOU SO MUCH! Oh, what wonderful pics! Love every one of them.

If you're interested, check out Jing which works in tandem with screencast.com. It's all free and you can essentially make screenshots of your pics with Jing, upload them to screencast.com and they're cataloged from there. I use it at my workplace all the time. Very easy and intuitive. Best alternative I've found to droplr or the other photo bucket-type sites.

THANK YOU AGAIN! :applause:

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:32 PM
And, I do have the full booklet scanned into a pdf (along with the two inside photos). Probably won't post that here, but let me know if you're interested.

The pages posted are at 75%, just to give you a perspective.

CAinOH
05-14-2018, 06:35 PM
@CAinOH -- THANK YOU SO MUCH! Oh, what wonderful pics! Love every one of them.

Just trying to "earn my keep" around here... ;)

Freypower
05-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Oh, that review is pretentious, all right. Sounds just like some of the stuff people said about the Eagles years ago. I'm reminded of Glenn's comment in his interviews with Bob Costas about some music writers setting themselves up as "arbiters of taste," whether they were really qualified to do so or not.

Those of us who are Paul McCartney fans are all too familiar with this method, because we've seen way too many "Paul: hackneyed, saccharine kinda songwriter vs. John: relevant, visionary GENIUS." This for the man who let Yoko have solo vocalizations (they're not songs, for sure) on his albums. About as far as Paul went was Linda singing, "Cook of the House," which was a lightweight little song. Linda didn't have a good voice, but then again, never pretended to be a singer. She was a photographer, and a darn good one. And say what you will about Paul, you didn't pick up an album of his that had the charming song title, "Woman is the N**** of the World" on it. I kid you not. But that kind of crap made John "fearless" and "willing to address critical social issues." Didn't matter that some of his stuff was cringe-inducing for other reasons.

It's exactly the same dynamic here. Some people think if it's not preachy and intense all the time, it's not good. Glenn had social commentary on his albums -- he was just usually sneakier about it than Don. Spoonful of sugar and all that. Plus, it really bothers some critics when the musicians are obviously having FUN! I am put in mind of "Partytown." Clearly, Glenn was just having a blast on that record. Which does not negate its quality in the least. It's a good, rocking little song. And a sly one.

I love John and I love Don, too. "Boys of Summer" is one of my favorite songs by any artist. It's a really, really great song. BUT, is it that much better than anything Glenn ever released? Not to me. And when Don gets his preachy pants on, he's as irritating as any artist could be. The title track on LROOE is a prime example. It's OK to start with, but has no business being 7 minutes long. It's not that good. Four minutes would have been more than enough.

Just my fifty cents' worth. But you get my drift.

I hesitate to call the review pretentious, because it's not in depth enough. What it is is shallow & obvious.

I could not agree with you more, not only about John & Paul, but the same thing also happened with Peter Gabriel vs Phil Collins.

BTW, LROOE is 10 minutes long, but for once I agree with the preachiness of it, as opposed to a solo song like Nobody Else In The World But You, which I heard yesterday and thought 'oh God. Here he goes again'. What he means is 'nobody else in the world but Don Henley'. He should listen to himself. (NB: I like that song).

I had hoped that this box set might finally give a chance for 'critics' to start a reassessment of Glenn's solo work. I hope it still might, but I am not holding my breath.

I do wonder why EVERY photo appears to be from the Strange Weather period. ETA: There are a couple from the Soul Searchin' period.

New Kid In Town
05-14-2018, 08:00 PM
FP - I wondered the same thing.

CAinOH - Thanks for posting all the pictures.

sodascouts
05-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Like many here, I pre-ordered in March, only to be told that mine isn't coming until Wednesday!

05-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Thanks for scanning the booklet, CAinOH.

And I also agree with groupie's analogy between Paul ;vs. John and Glenn and Don - very similar indeed.

I just checked my order and it still hasn't even shipped yet. The tracker says I should receive it by Thursday or Friday. All I can say is that Amazon's pre-ordering leaves a lot to be desired.

sodascouts
05-16-2018, 10:31 AM
I've pre-ordered before and haven't had this type of experience. They're supposed to get it to you the day of release. You're not supposed to regret pre-ordering, but I certainly do at this point! They've really screwed up here.

groupie2686
05-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Thanks for scanning the booklet, CAinOH.

And I also agree with groupie's analogy between Paul ;vs. John and Glenn and Don - very similar indeed.

I just checked my order and it still hasn't even shipped yet. The tracker says I should receive it by Thursday or Friday. All I can say is that Amazon's pre-ordering leaves a lot to be desired.

Actually, Pippinwhite made the analogy (although I agree with her). I don't think a review of Glenn's work is the place for a comparison with Don's, even if the reviewer happens to feel Don's is better. Glenn's work should be evaluated on its own merit.

And thanks for posting the pictures, CAinOH! They're awesome! I wonder why there are so many pictures from the Strange Weather era. Given the material on the box set, I'd like to see photos from the No Fun Aloud era through After Hours, and maybe even a picture of young Glenn with JD in Longbranch Pennywhistle (there are a few of those out there).

sodascouts
05-16-2018, 11:18 AM

I just was told that one of our members called and complained. They told her she could cancel the pre-order and order again with same day shipping, and then she'd get it on the same day with a waived shipping fee.

In other words, people who pre-order are given lower priority - ironically, our promise of getting it on the same day as release is treated as less important than the promise of getting it quickly for new orders when they don't have enough to go around.

I will never pre-order again.

CAinOH
05-16-2018, 12:18 PM
I just was told that one of our members called and complained. They told her she could cancel the pre-order and order again with same day shipping, and then she'd get it on the same day with a waived shipping fee.

In other words, people who pre-order are given lower priority - ironically, our promise of getting it on the same day as release is treated as less important than the promise of getting it quickly for new orders when they don't have enough to go around.

I will never pre-order again.

I called and was told the same thing, only to find that there was no same day shipping available (on Friday). Being a Prime member, I cancelled and re-ordered and got my shipment on Sunday instead of Friday.

sodascouts
05-16-2018, 12:35 PM
I called and was told the same thing, only to find that there was no same day shipping available (on Friday). Being a Prime member, I cancelled and re-ordered and got my shipment on Sunday instead of Friday.

That's two then. I've tweeted at them about it. They should let people know that pre-orders are low priority when they give the option to pre-order instead of misleadingly stating you will get it on the day of release or at least as close to it as those who order on that day!

Now, as soon as I get mine (hopefully today) I will be able to post about how great it is instead of Amazon rants, lol.

Dawn
05-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Jeez and here I was feeling all worried that I had forgotten to pre order. I like Prime a lot there are several benefits beside fast shipping including Prime Video which offers some pretty good videos for free and at competitive rental fees for others.

shunlvswx
05-16-2018, 01:14 PM
I'm glad I waited too. I tried Prime for two months and I enjoyed it. I just couldn't continued. I order a screen for my laptop (which I still haven't put on there) and it got there quick. I've tried pre-ordered once and the CD did come on the released date, but it wasn't through Amazon.

Anyway. I listened to the songs on IHeart this weekend. I enjoyed it. Some songs I haven't heard since I kinda didn't listen to them on IHeart Radio, but majority I've heard of. Like somebody said (I can't remembered), they are playing songs from their boxset now on Pandora and IHeart Radio. They were already playing the two songs they put out.

sodascouts
05-17-2018, 06:39 PM
That's two then. I've tweeted at them about it. They should let people know that pre-orders are low priority when they give the option to pre-order instead of misleadingly stating you will get it on the day of release or at least as close to it as those who order on that day!

Now, as soon as I get mine (hopefully today) I will be able to post about how great it is instead of Amazon rants, lol.

Got notified that there was another delay - now expected to arrive Monday. I cancelled my pre-order and reordered it the "normal" way. The expected delivery date became Saturday.

Magic.

Looking forward to actually getting it.

sodascouts
05-21-2018, 12:38 AM
I've gotten it - yay!!! I just looked through the lovely booklet and read the material on the inside.

Good except... why did the writer think "Let's Go Home" was the theme from South of Sunset? That was on The Allnighter. He obviously confused it with "Call on Me." A strange mistake to make as they are nothing alike. I can't believe nobody caught that! Otherwise, it was an enjoyable read.

LOVE the pictures, especially the one I made my avatar. Beautiful.

Brooke
05-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Gorgeous avatar, Soda! :heart:

Glennsallnighter
05-22-2018, 09:54 AM
I had mine on 2 preorders, Glenn :heart:'s site and Amazon. I knew that I wouldn't get it on release day on account of living in Ireland. Everything takes a bit longer. So I was pleasantly surprised to find it in our shops on the Saturday. The second one to arrive was the one off the site, with the very pleasant surprise of the 7"vinyl as well. Amazon came last on the Tuesday after release. I have one for the car, one for good and I will give a friend the Amazon one for her 50th birthday

05-22-2018, 02:55 PM
ITA - Glenn looks absolutely beautiful in your avatar, soda.

And I finally received my copy last Saturday. I guess all I can say is better late than never, but the way Amazon handled this pre-order process totally sucked IMHO. GA - you did well, all things considered, since you received both of your pre-order copies before many of us here in the U.S. did.

CAinOH
05-22-2018, 03:42 PM
And I finally received my copy last Saturday. I guess all I can say is better late than never, but the way Amazon handled this pre-order process totally sucked IMHO. GA - you did well, all things considered, since you received both of your pre-order copies before many of us here in the U.S. did.

So, is this whole fiasco with the pre-orders on this collection par for the course for Amazon or an anomaly? I've never pre-ordered anything from Amazon before.

05-22-2018, 03:57 PM
From my experience, despite their claims, Amazon has a very poor record of delivering pre-orders on or before their release date. For this reason, I normally do not pre-order. However, I decided to do it in this case because I wasn't sure if this was a limited edition or not.

So, as a general rule, I will go back to purchasing new releases at retail stores on their release date, and forego the hassle of dealing with Amazon.

UndertheWire
05-22-2018, 04:19 PM
My Amazon pre-order arrived on the release date and I've never had a problem. Of course, that's mainland UK, shipped using Royal Mail so not a lot to go wrong.

Freypower
05-22-2018, 07:43 PM
I won't be receving my copy of this until the beginning of June, However, I am not bothered by it. I pre-order from Amazon on a regular basis & won't stop doing so because of this.

Freypower
05-25-2018, 01:49 AM
I've gotten it - yay!!! I just looked through the lovely booklet and read the material on the inside.

Good except... why did the writer think "Let's Go Home" was the theme from South of Sunset? That was on The Allnighter. He obviously confused it with "Call on Me." A strange mistake to make as they are nothing alike. I can't believe nobody caught that! Otherwise, it was an enjoyable read.

LOVE the pictures, especially the one I made my avatar. Beautiful.

I have some other comments.

The credits are all over the place. Some songs have writing credits, some have producer credits. Some state which album they are taken from.

True Love has a songwriting credit of Cole Porter/Glenn Frey/Jack Tempchin. There is indeed a Cole Porter song with this title'; it was in the film High Society and has precisely nothing to do with this song.

The liner notes claim to have been written in 2017. They include this statement about Glenn being back with the Eagles 'before the adored band's show closed for good in 2015'. Oh dear. How I wish this were true.

Most of it is about the 80s, just as the photos are. The treatment of the post 80s career is perfunctory at best. However it's mostly a pleasant read.

As for the track selection, I wonder why so much of After Hours which I believe is still obtainable, was included. I wonder at the inclusion of I Got Love, It's Too Soon To Know, Worried Mind and (especially) Better In The USA. Why is Lover's Moon positioned after the After Hours songs except for Route 66? Why is True Love, a minor hit, considered so important that it closes Disc 2? As for Rising Sun, it's less than a minute long, and yet it continues to be included on these compilations.

The photos, while nice, cover only a small time period.

There is no information about how or why it was compiled. Yes, it is better than nothing especially now. But it could have been so much better.

CAinOH
05-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Yes, it is better than nothing especially now. But it could have been so much better.

I agree with this. Problem is, the one who could have done the best job on the compilation isn't around anymore.

And it looks like most of those still here really don't care.

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 04:57 PM
Wow, way to be a negative Neillie, FP! However, you do have some valid points.

I have some other comments.

The credits are all over the place. Some songs have writing credits, some have producer credits. Some state which album they are taken from.

Puzzling, true.

True Love has a songwriting credit of Cole Porter/Glenn Frey/Jack Tempchin. There is indeed a Cole Porter song with this title'; it was in the film High Society and has precisely nothing to do with this song. What the freak?!! How could they have been so sloppy??

The liner notes claim to have been written in 2017. They include this statement about Glenn being back with the Eagles 'before the adored band's show closed for good in 2015'. Oh dear. How I wish this were true.Oh man. But it's not his fault if he wrote it before the crap went down and they just dated it at the time of release.

As for the track selection, I wonder why so much of After Hours which I believe is still obtainable, was included. I wonder at the inclusion of I Got Love, It's Too Soon To Know, Worried Mind and (especially) Better In The USA. Why is Lover's Moon positioned after the After Hours songs except for Route 66? Why is True Love, a minor hit, considered so important that it closes Disc 2? As for Rising Sun, it's less than a minute long, and yet it continues to be included on these compilations.
Here's where your personal bias is showing. Just because you don't like songs doesn't mean they shouldn't be included. I enjoy some of the songs you are bemoaning, and I'm glad they included them. I too would have chosen a different running order (although I don't see a problem with ending with an uplifting song like "True Love"), but I'm willing to be you would have problems with mine, too.

The complaint about so many AH songs when it's more readily available than the others is valid in the sense that there should have been more songs from NFA. I still believe there is something behind the scenes going on there. Overall, though, there were only 6 out of 32, which is hardly overwhelming, and this was supposed to be representative of his ENTIRE career.

Your complaint about "Worried Mind" is objectively invalid, however. It was a bonus track and thus a "rarity." It is exactly the kind of thing that should be included, regardless of whether or not you personally find it enjoyable. BTW, something to consider: others, including myself, like it. :: SHOCK ::

The photos, while nice, cover only a small time period.I agree that the photos could have had more variety, but the ones we did get are lovely.

There is no information about how or why it was compiled. Yes, it is better than nothing especially now. But it could have been so much better.I know it could have been better... but let's try to find a few more good things to say about it alongside the bad.

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 05:04 PM
I had a long drive yesterday, and I listed to the whole thing one and a half times!

It was so good to have something "new." It really felt like a celebration of Glenn, and singing along with so many of his songs from all over his career (minus the glaring omission of NFA) just made me feel good.

The second time around, when I started disc 1 over again, I did have a moment during POMPOY when I got choked up... Whatever time may take away, it cannot change the way we feel today. Glenn has brought us so many special moments. Nothing can ever take those away, even though we are all dealing with so much now.

I am saving the DVD for tonight, when I am going to pour myself a glass of wine, kick back, and enjoy seeing this in high quality for the first time. I am SO looking forward to this!!!!

For all its flaws, I'm really glad this compilation exists.

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 05:12 PM
I bought the mp3 of the longbranch tracks they are good clear hq versions such as star spangled bus but there are some disappointments, such as on kite woman the intro has been shortened getting rid of the opening humming melody at the start which would've sounded great in High quality, it was a similar opening hum to the one henley frey do at the start of good day in hell(I know a really specific observation here but it was a nice addition to the arrangement).

Worst is Bring Back Funky Women, which sounds like has JD Souther rerecording his vocal its definitely not the original as I have some of the vinyl tracks from youtube, it sounds like him older straining for a higher vocal then how natural he sounds on the rest of that album. Also JD has been mixed significantly higher on this song which is a shame because on the original version you barely hear JD to the point it sounds like a glenn lead vocal for most of the track now Glenn's lead harmony vocal is buried in the background beneath JD like they diminished Glenn's presence on the song which I dont understand seeing this is a project serving to highlight glenn.
Oh well a long review but still worth my money for the mp3 versions, definetly not the cd.

Agreed. I know I want to be positive, but I have to comment on this... why did they turn up JD so much?

I can understand it on the songs where he sings lead I guess, although I miss Glenn's prominent harmony. Maybe that was closer to how he had envisioned it sounding originally... I've heard of loss of high end over time. Maybe they wanted to restore the high end.

Maybe Glenn was never intended to be that prominent on "Bring Back Funky Women" originally and they were correcting that by turning up JD...

But there's no excuse for "Rebecca," a Glenn lead, where Souther's harmony is so loud that it actually drowns out Glenn at points.

Plus, I can now barely hear Glenn during parts of "Never Have Enough."

The liner notes said Souther was in the room during the remixes. Did he sneak over and turn up the dial when the mixer wasn't looking?

While it's cool to be able to hear all Souther's background asides clearly (now I know he says "Read your Bible!" during "Star Spangled Bus"), and while I enjoy the crisper instrumentation, I'll take my old Longbranch Pennywhistle MP3s where I can hear Glenn better over these.

CAinOH
05-25-2018, 05:54 PM
True Love has a songwriting credit of Cole Porter/Glenn Frey/Jack Tempchin. There is indeed a Cole Porter song with this title'; it was in the film High Society and has precisely nothing to do with this song.

Just a quick note on this, since I received my Soul Searchin' CD today, the liner notes for "True Love" mention Al Green and Memphis, no word of Cole Porter. Here's the notes (written by Glenn Frey himself) for that song:

For those of you who have my previous albums, I apologize. I just can't shake my obsession with this Al Green-Memphis thing. Like Wilson Pickett says, "Don't Fight It."

No mention of Cole Porter there or in the credits in the liner notes, but a Google search of "Glenn Frey True Love Cole Porter" brings up a link to to allmusic.com that does (for some reason) have Cole Porter listed in the composer credit.

Freypower
05-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Just a quick note on this, since I received my Soul Searchin' CD today, the liner notes for "True Love" mention Al Green and Memphis, no word of Cole Porter. Here's the notes (written by Glenn Frey himself) for that song:

No mention of Cole Porter there or in the credits in the liner notes, but a Google search of "Glenn Frey True Love Cole Porter" brings up a link to to allmusic.com that does (for some reason) have Cole Porter listed in the composer credit.

Yes, well as I said, the Cole Porter song True Love is entirely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1ZLiyGrE0

Freypower
05-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Wow, way to be a negative Neillie, FP! However, you do have some valid points.

Puzzling, true.

What the freak?!! How could they have been so sloppy??

Oh man. But it's not his fault if he wrote it before the crap went down and they just dated it at the time of release.

Here's where your personal bias is showing. Just because you don't like songs doesn't mean they shouldn't be included. I enjoy some of the songs you are bemoaning, and I'm glad they included them. I too would have chosen a different running order (although I don't see a problem with ending with an uplifting song like "True Love"), but I'm willing to be you would have problems with mine, too.

The complaint about so many AH songs when it's more readily available than the others is valid in the sense that there should have been more songs from NFA. I still believe there is something behind the scenes going on there. Overall, though, there were only 6 out of 32, which is hardly overwhelming, and this was supposed to be representative of his ENTIRE career.

Your complaint about "Worried Mind" is objectively invalid, however. It was a bonus track and thus a "rarity." It is exactly the kind of thing that should be included, regardless of whether or not you personally find it enjoyable. BTW, something to consider: others, including myself, like it. :: SHOCK ::

I agree that the photos could have had more variety, but the ones we did get are lovely.

I know it could have been better... but let's try to find a few more good things to say about it alongside the bad.

Soda, it isn't a question of me being negative. I thought later that as this is all we have left, more care should have been taken with it. But thanks for acknowledging that I did have some valid points.

I was wondering why those particular songs which I admit I don't like (except for It's Too Soon To Know, which is a favourite of mine) were included. I couldn't see any rationale for their inclusion. My own opinion of most of them happens to coincide with that, I suppose. Regarding Worried Mind, yes, you are right. I had forgotten it was a bonus track.

I don't know when I am going to watch the DVD. I still find it almost impossible to watch any of Glenn's videos.

(I also wonder why now when I post paragraphs & then submit, the post has two llines between each paragraph & I have to edit the post again to delete it. When I type paragraphs I space them with one line, not two).

Freypower
05-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Agreed. I know I want to be positive, but I have to comment on this... why did they turn up JD so much?

I can understand it on the songs where he sings lead I guess, although I miss Glenn's prominent harmony. Maybe that was closer to how he had envisioned it sounding originally... I've heard of loss of high end over time. Maybe they wanted to restore the high end.

Maybe Glenn was never intended to be that prominent on "Bring Back Funky Women" originally and they were correcting that...

But there's no excuse for "Rebecca," a Glenn lead, when Souther's harmony actually drowns out Glenn at points.

The liner notes said Souther was in the room during the remixes. Did he sneak over and turn up the dial when the mixer wasn't looking?

While it's cool to be able to hear all Souther's background lyrics clearly (now I know he says "Read your Bible!" during "Star Spangled Bus"), and while I enjoy the crisper instrumentation, I'll take my old Longbranch Pennywhistle MP3s where I can hear Glenn better over these.

Are you saying I shouldn't delete my old Longbranch bootleg with its crackles from iTunes to put this on there? Wow. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. I obviously haven't listened to it yet.

sodascouts
05-25-2018, 07:56 PM
I don't know when I am going to watch the DVD. I still find it almost impossible to watch any of Glenn's videos.

Hence the wine, in my case. It's not just to relax; it's to fortify. I find it really hard, too.

(I also wonder why now when I post paragraphs & then submit, the post has two llines between each paragraph & I have to edit the post again to delete it. When I type paragraphs I space them with one line, not two).

I thought it was just me! I don't know why this is happening.

Are you saying I shouldn't delete my old Longbranch bootleg with its crackles from iTunes to put this on there? Wow. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. I obviously haven't listened to it yet.
See what you think. Maybe you'll disagree.

OntheBorder74
05-29-2018, 01:01 PM

Maybe Glenn was never intended to be that prominent on "Bring Back Funky Women" originally and they were correcting that by turning up JD...

But there's no excuse for "Rebecca," a Glenn lead, where Souther's harmony is so loud that it actually drowns out Glenn at points.

While it's cool to be able to hear all Souther's background asides clearly (now I know he says "Read your Bible!" during "Star Spangled Bus"), and while I enjoy the crisper instrumentation, I'll take my old Longbranch Pennywhistle MP3s where I can hear Glenn better over these.

Completely agree Soda, some of them are better some are worse, still glad There are now clearer versions of star spangled bus and kite woman my personal favs. Lol maybe JD did turn a fader up once or twice it's ahrd to look at longbranch pennywhistle as an equal partnership as there are some moments where Glenn is sandwiched between a JD lead vocal and a JD harmony vocal I struggle to hear Glenn's presence still on some tracks

Pippinwhite
05-29-2018, 02:52 PM
I'm gonna posit a theory about the whole "True Love"/ Cole Porter thing and say: legal issues.

Even though there's no conceivable way the songs themselves could cause "confusion in the marketplace," the TITLES possibly could. And as litigious as companies have become over the past few years, and with all the uproar about songs sounding like other songs (e.g., the "Blurred Lines" thing), and the total lack of creativity in so much current music, Glenn's attorneys may have decided to throw that credit in there, give Cole Porter's estate/publishing rights their little half cent per download or CD sale, and save themselves a ton of headaches down the line. It doesn't diminish the worth of the song, and any fan knows who really wrote it. So it's no actual skin off anyone's nose to add the credit, send Porter's estate a $5 check once a year and forget it.

I have NO evidence to back this up, but it just seems to be a not-unlikely scenario.

For all we know, it could be a result of an offhand comment Glenn made to Jack Tempchin at some point. With his goofball sense of humor, it's possible he said, "Hey Jack. Let's put Cole Porter's name on the credits! We're stealing the title from his song!" They laughed about it and went on.

As I said, just my two cents. It's anybody's guess.

sodascouts
05-29-2018, 05:19 PM
I'm gonna posit a theory about the whole "True Love"/ Cole Porter thing and say: legal issues.

Even though there's no conceivable way the songs themselves could cause "confusion in the marketplace," the TITLES possibly could. And as litigious as companies have become over the past few years, and with all the uproar about songs sounding like other songs (e.g., the "Blurred Lines" thing), and the total lack of creativity in so much current music, Glenn's attorneys may have decided to throw that credit in there, give Cole Porter's estate/publishing rights their little half cent per download or CD sale, and save themselves a ton of headaches down the line. It doesn't diminish the worth of the song, and any fan knows who really wrote it. So it's no actual skin off anyone's nose to add the credit, send Porter's estate a $5 check once a year and forget it.

I have NO evidence to back this up, but it just seems to be a not-unlikely scenario.

For all we know, it could be a result of an offhand comment Glenn made to Jack Tempchin at some point. With his goofball sense of humor, it's possible he said, "Hey Jack. Let's put Cole Porter's name on the credits! We're stealing the title from his song!" They laughed about it and went on.

As I said, just my two cents. It's anybody's guess.

It is not up to Glenn's attorneys. Who wrote the song is a matter of record. The song was officially registered with the company that distributes royalties (here, ASCAP) (https://www.ascap.com/help/royalties-and-payment/payment/registering) back when it was originally released. The original credit, the one on the Soul Searchin' album itself (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/soulsearchin/linernotes.htm), does not have Cole Porter's name on it. AllMusic.com, just like so many unofficial websites, is incorrect.

The fact that the people who put out this collection would not look up the original information is astounding and smacks of a lack of care taken with the liner notes, which is also evident in the "Let's Go Home" error. Unfortunate.

CAinOH
05-29-2018, 05:39 PM
You can't copyright a title, either.

Pippinwhite
05-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Hey, it was just a theory. Maybe it was a lack of due diligence. If so, shame on the people who should have done proper research, to say nothing of checking for accuracy.

sodascouts
05-30-2018, 11:49 PM
Hey, it was just a theory. Maybe it was a lack of due diligence. If so, shame on the people who should have done proper research, to say nothing of checking for accuracy.

Amen to that!

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 12:00 PM
For those who don't visit the photos thread, adding this here:

You can buy a new remix of "Part of Me, Part of You" now:

https://www.amazon.com/Part-Me-You-2018-Remix/dp/B07DFZXJ38/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1528989942&sr=1-1&keywords=glenn+frey+remix

Warning: They've shortened it a great deal for some reason.

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Differences I noticed:

Extra guitar parts / instrumentation/ backing "oohs" added (or "brought forward"? Were they there before?)

This entire verse has been removed:

I look at you; your whole life stands before you
I look at me and I'm running out of time
Time has brought us here to share these moments
To look for something we may never find

Until we find the bridge across forever
Until this grand illusion brings us home
You and I will always be together
From this day on you'll never walk alone

Closing Chorus / Almost all of the Outro

I should note that the "Until we find..." part appears earlier in the song, so at least that segment's not completely gone.

FreyFollower
06-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Differences I noticed:

Extra guitar parts / instrumentation/ backing "oohs" added.

Closing Chorus / Outro
I love that verse! Why in the world would you remove it? I love the whole song. It's bad enough, the songs they left out. I can't imagine why they would do that! :depressed: I would rather they left off a whole non-Glenn composition, such as "Route 66", than to edit out a whole verse of a beautiful song!:scowl:

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Thankfully, the one on the compilation is the normal version. This shortened version is simply the remix which they are selling separately.

FreyFollower
06-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm sure glad to hear that!

CAinOH
06-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Differences I noticed:

Closing Chorus / Almost all of the Outro

I should note that the "Until we find..." part appears earlier in the song, so it's not completely gone.

Okay, I am not going crazy*, then! I was listening to this on the way home from (or was it on the way to?) work, and I thought, Did I miss something?

Because I've been turning on YouTube on the Roku in the mornings and letting the Glenn Frey VEVO channel run. "Part of Me, Part of You" is part of that. And the video plays the entire song.

* May or may not be going crazy, but this turns out is not a symptom!

Glennsallnighter
06-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Well I appear to be unable to buy it here in Ireland at least for now anyway:unimpressed:

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Here's something interesting. Just for fun, I listened to the old single edit, because I was curious what they did to get it down to 4:18. It's been ages since I listened to this CD single I got off eBay. Anyway, here's what they left out back when it first released to radio in 1991:

I can hear it when I stand beside the river
I can see it when I look up in the sky
I can feel it when I hear that lonesome highway
So many miles to go before I die
We can never know about tomorrow
But still we have to choose which way to go
You and I are standing at the crossroads
Darling, there is one thing you should know

Boo to that, too!

So which verse do you think is more "expendable," guys? Besides NEITHER, that is?

Personally, I think this one is more expendable, if something HAS to go.

Freypower
06-14-2018, 07:10 PM
Here's something interesting. Just for fun, I listened to the old single edit, because I was curious what they did to get it down to 4:18. It's been ages since I listened to this CD single I got off eBay. Anyway, here's what they left out back when it first released to radio in 1991:

Boo to that, too!

So which verse do you think is more "expendable," guys? Besides NEITHER, that is?

Agreed, but also, NEITHER.

I don't need to buy a remixed POMPOY. However I will say something about this compilation in general as I've been listening to Disc One in the car. People already noted that on the Longbranch Pennywhistle disc Glenn's voice appears to have been pushed back & Souther's pushed forward.

On Disc One of Glenn's work, what I have noticed is that some backing vocals appear to have almost vanished. An example is the 'oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh' bit he does in Smuggler's Blues. That is barely audible. I also noitced this in I've Got Mine.

In YBTTC, the part at the beginning with bass & drums pounding, just after the sax, has been remixed to emphasise the drums rather than the bass. This is a significant difference.

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 11:16 PM
Agreed, but also, NEITHER.
On Disc One of Glenn's work, what I have noticed is that some backing vocals appear to have almost vanished. An example is the 'oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh' bit he does in Smuggler's Blues. That is barely audible. I also noitced this in I've Got Mine.

Hmm, that's not the case on my disc. I can hear the backing vocals clearly. Try playing it on another device.

In YBTTC, the part at the beginning with bass & drums pounding, just after the sax, has been remixed to emphasise the drums rather than the bass. This is a significant difference.

I can't discern much of a difference on my disc either, but I'm not listening with headphones. Maybe some other folks would like to weigh in?

Freypower
06-14-2018, 11:28 PM
To be fair I'm listening to it in the car. I may be imagining it. I'm not bothered by it particularly.

06-16-2018, 11:58 AM
I can hear the backing vocals clearly as well. I have listened in both my car CD and laptop CD players.

Boo to that, too!

I agree with you here, Soda. I don't think either verses are expendable, but if one HAS to go, I would reluctantly chose the same one you did.

Pippinwhite
06-16-2018, 01:32 PM
I don't hear a big difference in Smuggler's Blues (listening through the good headphones) as far as the vocals go. I can hear the background vocals. To me, it sounds like the guitars are brought forward on the Glenn compilation and they muddy up the lead vocals a tad. But that's just to my ears. YMMV.
I think listening to something like this is just so subjective. Everyone's ears are going to pick up something different.
I can't find the radio release for "Part of Me" on Spotify. I was listening from the compilation, which is why I didn't hear any differences, much. LOL. Never dawned on me they'd shorten it by 2 minutes. Short attention spans, I suppose.

Delilah
06-16-2018, 03:23 PM
For those who don't visit the photos thread, adding this here:

You can buy a new remix of "Part of Me, Part of You" now:

https://www.amazon.com/Part-Me-You-2018-Remix/dp/B07DFZXJ38/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1528989942&sr=1-1&keywords=glenn+frey+remix

Warning: They've shortened it a great deal for some reason.

Thanks for the link! I hadn’t realized this was a separate release from the compilation when I asked about it on the other thread. :blush: It’s available on iTunes as well.