PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Pages : [1] 2

Ive always been a dreamer
03-22-2018, 08:31 PM
Time for the On the Border Song Survivor! If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7%20%5B/)

I'm going to list the songs from On the Border here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes must be cast before the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

Note: The board clock is not accurate (currently 30 - 31 minutes ahead of real time). Please do not rely on it for meeting posting deadlines.

While these games can get heated, remember it's all in good fun. You can debate the merits of a song, but don't badger people who don't vote the same way you do. The administrator and moderators reserve the right to take action if they determine that someone is behaving disruptively, nastily, or otherwise inappropriately.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

Note: In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

GAME OVER!

The winner is:

Already Gone

Song Eliminated:
You Never Cry Like a Lover 3/24
Midnight Flyer 3/26
Is It True 3/28
On the Border 3/30
My Man 4/01
James Dean 4/03
Good Day in Hell 4/05
Ol’ 55 4/07
The Best of My Love 4/09

Thanks for playing and hope everyone enjoyed the game.

New Kid In Town
03-22-2018, 08:39 PM
I vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover

Freypower
03-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Midnight Flyer

Scarlet Sun
03-22-2018, 09:08 PM
I vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover

Likewise

WalshFan88
03-22-2018, 09:34 PM
You Never Cry Like A Lover

YoungEaglesFan
03-22-2018, 09:59 PM
You never cried like a Lover I do like this song a lot. The verses are not that good and I strongly dislike the “stone and wood” line. But I love the song about midway on. I like the “try a little harder” and the solo. Definitely missed opportunity on this song

sodascouts
03-22-2018, 10:37 PM
I'm going to join the crowd here.

I cast my vote for You Never Cry Like a Lover.

I like the sophisticated "Carousel" simile and there is an element of vulnerability in "I was hoping you were the one" that's affecting... but otherwise, I really dislike the tone of the song's lyrics. Always rubbed me the wrong way. The melody isn't their best work either. It's in my bottom ten Eagles songs.

03-22-2018, 10:37 PM
I want to emphasize a rule in opening post, especially for the newbies:

"Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote".

Please make sure you are very specific about when you are voting and what you are voting for. I do not want to be put in the position of guessing or assuming what you want because I may get it wrong. Therefore if there is any doubt, I will not count your vote when I talley the results.

YoungEaglesFan - Can you please clarify if you were actually voting for You Never Cry Lover in Post #6?

Thanks.

scottside
03-22-2018, 10:57 PM
I vote for "Is It True?" Of all of Randy's songs, this is my least favorite.

YoungEaglesFan
03-22-2018, 11:05 PM
I want to emphasize a rule in opening post, especially for the newbies:

"Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote".

Please make sure you are very specific about when you are voting and what you are voting for. I do not want to be put in the position of guessing or assuming what you want because I may get it wrong. Therefore if there is any doubt, I will not count your vote when I talley the results.

YoungEaglesFan - Can you please clarify if you were actually voting for You Never Cry Lover in Post #6?

Thanks.

Oh sorry Dreamer I meant to separate that. I am voting for YNCLAL.

groupie2686
03-22-2018, 11:18 PM
You Never Cry Like A Lover

I don't dislike this song, but compared to the others, it's my least favorite on the album. I like the guitar solo and the "broken down carousel" line, but I don't think Henley's vocal is as rich as it normally is and something about the subject matter rubs me the wrong way. I like all of the songs on On the Border, so this is really going to be tough!

cosec3791
03-23-2018, 03:25 AM
Voting for My Man. Very unpopular and probably everyone (being more aligned to Bernie rather than Felder and Walsh) will disagree. Very meaningful lyrics, but that is the only good thing. Very boring. I remember listening to it, and then briefly dozed off.

UndertheWire
03-23-2018, 07:07 AM
Maybe I'm in a minority in that I like You Never Cry Like a Lover.

My pick is Is it True.

shunlvswx
03-23-2018, 09:33 AM
I love You Never Cry Like a Lover. SO I can't vote against.

So I'm going to go with Midnight Flyer. Not one of my favorites. Maybe its the bluegrassish vibe of the song.

Claret
03-23-2018, 12:03 PM
You Never Cry Like a Lover
Nothing against the song but I feel it's the weakest one on the album.

Brooke
03-23-2018, 12:09 PM
I vote for Midnight Flyer. Just don't really like the train whistle and feel it's the weakest song.

I have always really liked You Never Cry Like a Lover.

03-23-2018, 12:25 PM
I'm not ready to vote yet, but, I agree with scottside and UTW that Is It True is the weakest song on this album. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't do that much for me musically and I'm not crazy about Randy's vocals either. To me, You Never Cry Like a Lover is stronger all around. I'm one that doesn't have a problem with the song's lyrics - I just interpret it as a lover's lament about a relationship that is falling apart. The lyrics that really rile me come from Is It True when Randy says he's willing to change some if it's important to her ... geez that would really give me some peace of mind if some guy said that to me. :grin:

Anyway, I encourage everyone to vote for Is It True. It's still not too late and I'll join in if there is a chance to save YNCLAL.

MaryCalifornia
03-23-2018, 12:59 PM
This is a hard Survivor! My vote is for On the Border. To me it is less organic sounding and more formulaic, like they needed another song. I don't like the funky R'nB guitar either.

TW
03-23-2018, 01:04 PM
I'm voting for You Never Cry Like a Lover. There's not a "bad" song on the album, this is just personally my least favorite.

Dawn
03-23-2018, 02:09 PM
Midnight Flyer.

-----------

Sorry, lost my cell signal before I could elaborate

I actually like the song it is different and the way the band performed MF live at Cal Jam was awesome. They were all excellent especially Randy on the lead vocal. :love:

I'm choosing it as my least favorite of all the tracks.

Delilah
03-23-2018, 03:00 PM
Voting for My Man. Very unpopular and probably everyone (being more aligned to Bernie rather than Felder and Walsh) will disagree. Very meaningful lyrics, but that is the only good thing. Very boring. I remember listening to it, and then briefly dozed off.

Why do think it’s “very unpopular”? I disagree that everyone is more aligned to Bernie; I believe most forum members are more drawn to Joe, at least that’s my impression.

I don’t know if you’re aware of the background of “My Man” but Bernie wrote it as a tribute to a friend and former colleague who died of a drug overdose, just one week after Bernie added some overdubs to his friend’s record. Bernie was in London recording this album when he learned the news.

Anyway, to each his own.

On the Border is probably my favorite Eagles album; I really like/love every track and there is such variety of styles and sounds. So this will be very hard for me.

My vote goes to the title track, On the Border. It’s got a great funky-ish vibe to it and I love the 4-part vocal bridge; not just anyone could pull off those lines. I like the part-protest, part- just leave me be message, too.

But there’s something about it that doesn’t quite gel, like it’s right on the edge of something. I think it’s the guitars. A tad too much twangy noise. I also think Don sang this a bit safe. He probably could have pushed himself a little more vocally but maybe he hadn’t yet obtained the confidence at that point to do so.

A word in support of Is It True, which I knew would be under attack early on. It’s one of the few romantically inclined Eagles songs where the guy takes some accountability for what’s going wrong, and doesn’t just blame the woman and paint her in a bad light. When he says he can “change some” it sounds like a sincere attempt to try to please her and win her back; if he were to change a lot or completely he’d be a different person from the one she fell for.

I love Randy’s voice here and instrumentally the song is lovely—the melodic slide guitar which starts off the first notes and can be heard throughout, the plucky rhythm guitar, the mellow bass. The harmonies are stellar, as usual. It seems so earnest and sweet and innocent; how many Eagles songs can be described like that? LOL

Scarlet Sun
03-23-2018, 03:15 PM
It’s one of the few romantically inclined Eagles songs where the guy takes some accountability for what’s going wrong, and doesn’t just blame the woman and paint her in a bad light.

You can say that again. It's also one of my favorites on the album.

YoungEaglesFan
03-23-2018, 03:15 PM
I too really like Is it true a lot. I find it a very sweet song and I love the slide guitar and the harmonies. It’s a solid track. I also agree with you Delilah about Don’s vocals. He doesn’t become the “Don” we know and love until OOTN imo. I wonder if he could have tried some of those songs again how it would sound. OTB is a song I agree that it’s on the verge of something much better but i still like it nonetheless

Delilah
03-23-2018, 03:50 PM
You can say that again. It's also one of my favorites on the album.

I too really like Is it true a lot. I find it a very sweet song and I love the slide guitar and the harmonies. It’s a solid track.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::nod:

03-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Well sorry, Is It True supporters, but, for me, it is the weakest song and my least favorite on the album. Delilah, it's funny how different our interpretation of the 'I can change some' line is. I guess I'm going by my own personal experiences, but I've heard that line a few times before, so a sincere attempt to please is the last thing I think when I hear that line. :wink: So even though the song won't be going down this round ...

I cast my vote for Is It True.

03-24-2018, 08:33 PM
The first song to be eliminated in On the Border Survivor is You Never Cry Like a Lover. “You Never Cry Like a Lover”, the tribe has spoken and we must have caught you in an unguarded moment. You should have tried a little harder. But your life goes on, so jump off that broken carousel and leave the island immediately.

Votes
You Never Cry Like a Lover – 8
Midnight Flyer – 4
Is It True – 3
On the Border – 2
My Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
You Never Cry Like a Lover – New Kid In Town
You Never Cry Like a Lover – Scarlet Sun
You Never Cry Like a Lover– WalshFan88
You Never Cry Like a Lover – YoungEaglesFan
You Never Cry Like a Lover– sodascouts
You Never Cry Like a Lover – groupie2686
You Never Cry Like a Lover – Claret
You Never Cry Like a Lover – TW
Midnight Flyer – Freypower
Midnight Flyer – shunlvswx
Midnight Flyer – Brooke
Midnight Flyer – Dawn
Is It True – scottside
Is It True – UndertheWire
Is It True – Ive always been a dreamer
On the Border – MaryCalifornia
On the Border – Delilah
My Man – cosec3791

Songs Eliminated:

Songs Remaining:
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol’ 55
Is It True
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round Two begins now.

Scarlet Sun
03-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Good Day in Hell

YoungEaglesFan
03-24-2018, 09:15 PM
I vote James dean

Lyrics hold this song big time. Love the music but lacks depth

groupie2686
03-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Midnight Flyer

I like Randy but this is too much bluegrass for me. The only plus...Glenn plays slide. :)

Freypower
03-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Midnight Flyer

Dawn
03-24-2018, 10:00 PM
Midnight Flyer

WalshFan88
03-24-2018, 11:19 PM
Midnight Flyer

I quite like James Dean, but I like rock and roll energy and I don't look for deeper meaning within every song.

sodascouts
03-24-2018, 11:26 PM
It pains me, considering the name of the board, but I cast my vote for On the Border.

I like a lot of things about it, such as the groovy "On the Border" back-and-forth towards the end, but I don't think is melody its as strong as the other songs on the album. Plus, the line "foolin' with my baby on the telephone" - what does that even mean? Is that 70s slang for talking dirty on the telephone or does it mean they're just wasting time or joking around or what? Something that has always bugged me, lol.

Pippinwhite
03-25-2018, 12:00 AM
I cast my vote for "My Man."

I like "Midnight Flyer," but it may go the next round. "My Man" is a good song, and I do like it, but I feel it's the weakest track on a very strong album.

scottside
03-25-2018, 12:22 AM
"Is It True"....again.

Glennsallnighter
03-25-2018, 01:53 AM
Raging I missed the first round but this round I will vote for My Man.

Claret
03-25-2018, 07:25 AM
Is It True
It's not that I don't like it, in fact I think that both bass, vocals and slide were superb but for me there are better songs on album.

New Kid In Town
03-25-2018, 08:26 AM
I vote for "Is It True". I love Randy but this song does nothing for me. However, I love "Midnight Flyer" I love Randy's singing and Glenn's slide guitar. Hope it last beyond the next round - lol. Trouble is, I love most of the songs on this album.

UndertheWire
03-25-2018, 09:48 AM
I like all of the songs on the album, but I prefer Midnight Flyer to Is it True. In particular, I like woo-woo-ooh-woo.

I vote for Is it True.

LovinGlennGirl
03-25-2018, 10:54 AM
I missed the first round (daughter's wedding weekend), love this whole cd/album. Sorry You Never Cry Like A Lover is Already Gone. ;)

My vote this round is for On The Border, great title for the album, but there are a lot of songs I like better.

03-25-2018, 02:24 PM
I vote James dean

Lyrics hold this song big time. Love the music but lacks depth

I have a different interpretation of this, YEF. I love James Dean, both musically and lyrically. When you consider that Dean was a 1950’s icon, the lyrics are very clever because they were written for the time period that he represented. While they may sound trite to some folks today, I think some of us more ‘mature’ fans probably appreciate them more. So would these lyrics work if written about any of today’s rebellious celebrities – I don’t think so … but the song still works for me because they are relatable to that time.

It pains me, considering the name of the board, but I cast my vote for On the Border.

I like a lot of things about it, such as the groovy "On the Border" back-and-forth towards the end, but I don't think is melody its as strong as the other songs on the album. Plus, the line "foolin' with my baby on the telephone" - what does that even mean? Is that 70s slang for talking dirty on the telephone or does it mean they're just wasting time or joking around or what? Something that has always bugged me, lol.

This gave me a giggle, Soda. I bet anyone who has ever been in a long distance relationship, like me, knows exactly what it means. Think of it as old-fashioned sexting. :lol:

And lastly, just when I thought Midnight Flyer was doomed, along comes big brother and says to Is It True ... 'you in some trouble, boy'. Poor Randy's taking a beating this round. I actually like all the songs on the album and I don't strongly dislike any Eagles song, but, of these two songs, I prefer Midnight Flyer. I'll have to wait to see how this round plays out before I decide how to vote though.

MaryCalifornia
03-25-2018, 02:28 PM
I'll stick with my same vote from the last round - On The Border.

Delilah
03-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Too bad about You Never Cry Like a Lover. I really like that one.

I am not casting a vote yet, but do have a few words in defense of Midnight Flyer. It’s more than just a bluegrass song. It’s a true collaborative effort by young musicians who bring their own flavor to an old Osborne Brothers standard. The tune itself is lively and upbeat, the lyrics, though not written by any band member, are an interesting reflection about the quest for freedom and ‘travelin on’ and the vocals are wonderful and clever (the whistling sound).

What really stands out is the instrumental outro where the guys show their musicianship—Bernie’s banjo, Glenn’s slide guitar and Randy’s bass shine here, and Henley’s drumming complements it all. No wonder it was part of their live set for a number of years. In the early days they played these long instrumental jams that seemed to have disappeared by 1975. :sad: But they still kept MF to show off their playing chops. This song is unique in their catalog for that reason, at least. Off the top of my head I cannot think of another song that comes close this instrumental outro.

And lastly, just when I thought Midnight Flyer was doomed, along comes big brother and says to Is It True ... 'you in some trouble, boy'. Poor Randy's taking a beating this round.

I know. :weep: What did Randy ever do to you people?! LOL :lol:

Scarlet Sun
03-25-2018, 03:13 PM
What did Randy ever do to you people?! LOL :lol:

Is It True is my 3rd most favorite on this album and Midnight Flyer is 5th.

I'd like to say something else here. You Never Cry Like a Lover is the consensus weakest song on the album. IMHO, Bernie had two superior songs they could have used instead - Georgia Peach and a very nice ballad. He could have had that originally agreed upon second song. It would have saved them a lot of trouble.

New Kid In Town
03-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Too bad about You Never Cry Like a Lover. I really like that one.

I am not casting a vote yet, but do have a few words in defense of Midnight Flyer. It’s more than just a bluegrass song. It’s a true collaborative effort by young musicians who bring their own flavor to an old Osborne Brothers standard. The tune itself is lively and upbeat, the lyrics, though not written by any band member, are an interesting reflection about the quest for freedom and ‘travelin on’ and the vocals are wonderful and clever (the whistling sound).

What really stands out is the instrumental outro where the guys show their musicianship—Bernie’s banjo, Glenn’s slide guitar and Randy’s bass shine here, and Henley’s drumming complements it all. No wonder it was part of their live set for a number of years. In the early days they played these long instrumental jams that seemed to have disappeared by 1975. :sad: But they still kept MF to show off their playing chops. This song is unique in their catalog for that reason, at least. Off the top of my head I cannot think of another song that comes close this instrumental outro.
I know :weep: What did Randy ever do to you people?! LOL :lol:

Delilah - I agree - I have always loved Midnight Flyer. I love Bernie's, banjo, Glenn's slide guitar and of course Randy's voice. I think they did this all the way up to 1976. I think they do it at the Houston or Seattle 76' concerts if I remember right.

Dreamer - I love James Dean ! Although I was way too young for the James Dean mystic, I really love the song. I never "got" the whole mystic behind James Dean, but I could see Glenn and Jackson getting into it although they were not even 7 when he died.

Claret
03-25-2018, 04:14 PM
I also find it a little bit strange that many people consider Midnight Flyer weaker than some other songs from the album, but of course I respect everyone's opinion. Later live versions were decent as well and Felder did a great job replacing Bernie on banjo.

NKIT - you're right, MF was a part of the setlist until 1976. They played in both Seattle and Houston (Seattle version is uploaded on youtube) and I've also heard some other versions from various bootlegs. I think they stopped doing MF, Doolin-Dalton and Outlaw Man at the same time (end of 76/beginning of 77).

cosec3791
03-25-2018, 04:44 PM
I yet again vote for "My Man". But this time, there are a few who agree with me this time!

I quite like Midnight Flyer. I agree about it being weak in terms of depth and complexity. But I really don't care about the studio version of the song. Really do not like the studio version tbh. I like Walsh on slide better. My personal favorite version is 1976 Sydney.

Delilah
03-25-2018, 04:59 PM

I'd like to say something else here. You Never Cry Like a Lover is the consensus weakest song on the album. IMHO, Bernie had two superior songs they could have used instead - Georgia Peach and a very nice ballad. He could have had that originally agreed upon second song. It would have saved them a lot of trouble.

Ok, SS you now have me intrigued. Not only was there an agreement for a 2nd song, but Bernie had some sort of previously unknown “nice ballad”? That’s very interesting and would be great to hear, as well as a nice, clear recording of “Georgia Peach.” Surely Bernie has his own copies of those.

My guess is that with Bernie, Don and Randy already having one ballad each (and Glenn too if “Ol 55” counts as a ballad), there wasn’t room for another one. Also, “Georgia Peach” was probably not the direction they wanted to go. Yet they still played it live at some point. I wonder how it went over compared to YNCLAL.

New Kid In Town
03-25-2018, 05:05 PM
SS - Hmmmmm.......... Very interesting. I always loved "Georgia Peach" and I would love to know what the "nice ballad" was.
Delilah, I agree, GP did not match the direction the band wanted to go. Still a great song though.

Scarlet Sun
03-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Not only was there an agreement for a 2nd song

Well, supposedly that was the plan at the beginning that each member would get at least two songs on every album. Your other thoughts make a lot of sense

Delilah
03-25-2018, 05:22 PM
SS - Hmmmmm.......... Very interesting. I always loved "Georgia Peach" and I would love to know what the "nice ballad" was.

And how does it compare to the Patti Davis ballad IWYP that ended up on OOTN.

Well, supposedly that was the plan at the beginning that each member would get at least two songs on every album. Your other thoughts make a lot of sense

Thanks!

Scarlet Sun
03-25-2018, 05:29 PM
I'm loath to name because it officially "doesn't exist," even though it does. I like it much more than IWYP. Why do you think GP didn't fit in with the new direction? I feel it's the most rocking tune Bernie ever wrote for the band.

YoungEaglesFan
03-25-2018, 05:48 PM

Is there any way for us to find Bernie’s ballad? I think you said someone showed them to you. That’d be great to hear!

New Kid In Town
03-25-2018, 05:57 PM
I'm loath to name because it officially "doesn't exist," even though it does. I like it much more than IWYP. Why do you think GP didn't fit in with the new direction? I feel it's the most rocking tune Bernie ever wrote for the band.

Well, pardon my English, but that sucks. No offense to you SS. I was never a fan of IWYP, so it is a shame the "Nice Ballad" never would up on the album.
I guess the song "never existed" the same way all the footage of those 70's concerts never existed. ;):hilarious:

Scarlet Sun
03-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Is there any way for us to find Bernie’s ballad? I think you said someone showed them to you. That’d be great to hear!

I'm sure there's some way, because they're out there.:angel: Sorry, maybe I should shut up about this. I don't wanna be a tease. I wanna disseminate info to fellow Eagles fans, but i'm walking a fine line here.

YoungEaglesFan
03-25-2018, 06:08 PM
I'm sure there's some way, because they're out there.:angel: Sorry, maybe I should shut up about this. I don't wanna be a tease. I wanna disseminate info to fellow Eagles fans, but i'm walking a fine line here.

No Worries, if it’s too much of a problem No need to stress about it. I’d leave to hear that unreleased material but I understand the secrecy of all this (which is unfortunately necessary these days)

Side note: can anyone provide a link to Georgia peach? Only “Wait and see” is avaliable on YouTube still. I haven’t listened to it in full.

Delilah
03-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Why do you think GP didn't fit in with the new direction? I feel it's the most rocking tune Bernie ever wrote for the band.

You’re right, I went back and gave it another listen and it’s more rockin than I remembered. I thought it had more of a country twang than it does.

And congrats on becoming a Border Rebel! :cheers:

New Kid In Town
03-25-2018, 06:37 PM
No Worries, if it’s too much of a problem No need to stress about it. I’d leave to hear that unreleased material but I understand the secrecy of all this (which is unfortunately necessary these days)

Side note: can anyone provide a link to Georgia peach? Only “Wait and see” is avaliable on YouTube still. I haven’t listened to it in full.

YEF - There used to be a you tube site that had the concert from Holy Cross College(Mass.) in 1973. Georgia Peach was performed at that concert. Which, was a great concert and I would love to have a dvd of that concert. I don't know if it is still up on you tube.

New Kid In Town
03-25-2018, 06:39 PM

SS -Thank You, we don't want to get you in trouble.
And, congrats on becoming a Border Rebel ! :cheers:

Scarlet Sun
03-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Yes, thanks, a Rebel is more esteemed than a Desperado 8)

sodascouts
03-25-2018, 07:26 PM
I adore Midnight Flyer! I love its vibrancy and vitality, I love the tight harmonies, I love the instrumentation, I even love the imitation of the whistle. It's a great song. I hope it hangs around.

Freypower
03-25-2018, 08:23 PM

I always thought 'foolin' with my baby' just meant joking around, laughing with each other, but like you I don't like the line & the song has aged very badly indeed. I do like Glenn's 'and we wanna know' part, to nobody's surprise.

But regarding the 'whoo whoo' in Midnight Flyer I find it corny. I can see why others like the song, but I don't care for it.

YoungEaglesFan
03-25-2018, 09:13 PM
I always thought 'foolin' with my baby' just meant joking around, laughing with each other, but like you I don't like the line & the song has aged very badly indeed. I do like Glenn's 'and we wanna know' part, to nobody's surprise.

But regarding the 'whoo whoo' in Midnight Flyer I find it corny. I can see why others like the song, but I don't care for it.

Glenn’s line is definitely the best out of the bridge. I wish somehow
He could have had a more prominent part on the song vocally

cosec3791
03-26-2018, 12:30 PM
I also find it a little bit strange that many people consider Midnight Flyer weaker than some other songs from the album, but of course I respect everyone's opinion. Later live versions were decent as well and Felder did a great job replacing Bernie on banjo.

NKIT - you're right, MF was a part of the setlist until 1976. They played in both Seattle and Houston (Seattle version is uploaded on youtube) and I've also heard some other versions from various bootlegs. I think they stopped doing MF, Doolin-Dalton and Outlaw Man at the same time (end of 76/beginning of 77).

While you are right about Outlaw Man being stopped in 1976, not so much for Midnight Flyer and Doolin Dalton. Midnight Flyer was perfomed in 77 shows like Madison Square Garden. And Doolin Dalton was performed quite a lot of times after 1976. The times they performed this which I listened to are: 1) 1977 Frankfurt 2) 1977 London 3) 1978 Chicago 4) 1979 Budokan (all nights) 5) 1979 Osaka 6) 1979 Boston Garden and 7) 1979 Chicago. I noticed Doolin Dalton was popular among setlists of foreign concerts.

I am disappointed that Outlaw Man was stopped in 1976. Really liked it, though I feel the studio version pales compared to Felder's version.

Brooke
03-26-2018, 12:48 PM
I'm sorry to see YNCLAL go, but something has to.

I vote for Midnight Flyer, again. Just have never really cared for the song and agree the whistle is corny.

I like it less than the others that are in danger here.

Going back, I miss Don's younger, smokier voice too.

Dawn
03-26-2018, 01:24 PM
I remember how great Midnight Flyer was performed at Cal Jam in'74. Glenn on slide guitar and Bernie playing banjo beautifully, Don on drums, Jackson Browne playing acoustic (i think) and of course Randy singing lead just perfect. I just have to rate it as my least favorite on the album but it's still a great song in concert.

Claret
03-26-2018, 02:02 PM
While you are right about Outlaw Man being stopped in 1976, not so much for Midnight Flyer and Doolin Dalton. Midnight Flyer was perfomed in 77 shows like Madison Square Garden. And Doolin Dalton was performed quite a lot of times after 1976. The times they performed this which I listened to are: 1) 1977 Frankfurt 2) 1977 London 3) 1978 Chicago 4) 1979 Budokan (all nights) 5) 1979 Osaka 6) 1979 Boston Garden and 7) 1979 Chicago. I noticed Doolin Dalton was popular among setlists of foreign concerts.

I am disappointed that Outlaw Man was stopped in 1976. Really liked it, though I feel the studio version pales compared to Felder's version.
Thanks for the correction. I've listened to some of the concerts you've mentioned but as you can see I've completely forgot the setlists.

TW
03-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Midnight Flyer

shunlvswx
03-26-2018, 02:27 PM
I'm voting again for Midnight Flyer. I don't like the bluegrassish vibe of the song and it was never my favorite on the album.

East Texas Girl
03-26-2018, 04:57 PM
I'm late to the show here, and hate to see YNCLAL to go in the first round, I really like that one.

My vote is On The Border.

Delilah
03-26-2018, 05:27 PM
It looks like Midnight Flyer is going down. There isn’t anything I can do to help save it, so again, I vote for On the Border.

Desperada
03-26-2018, 05:44 PM
I vote for On the Border

03-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Well - I'm one that loves On the Border so I have to protect it. I was hoping some more votes would come in for Is It True because I would much rather see that go down. However, I'll go ahead and provide some insurance to On the Border ...

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer.

03-26-2018, 08:32 PM
In a close round, the next song to be eliminated in On the Border Survivor is Midnight Flyer. “Midnight Flyer”, the tribe has spoken and we’ve found someone to take the place of you. A runaway team of horses ain't enough to make you stay. You paid your dues, but now it’s time to travel on. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Midnight Flyer – 8
On the Border – 6
Is It True – 4
My Man – 3
Good Day in Hell – 1
James Dean – 1

Vote Breakdown
Midnight Flyer – groupie2686
Midnight Flyer – Freypower
Midnight Flyer – Dawn
Midnight Flyer – WalshFan88
Midnight Flyer – Brooke
Midnight Flyer – TW
Midnight Flyer – shunlvswx
Midnight Flyer – Ive always been a dreamer
On the Border – sodascouts
On the Border – LovinGlennGirl
On the Border – East Texas Girl
On the Border – Delilah
On the Border – Desperada
Is It True – scottside
Is It True – Claret
Is It True – New Kid In Town
My Man – Pippinwhite
My Man – Glennsallnighter
My Man – cosec3791
Good Day in Hell – Scarlet Sun
James Dean – YoungEaglesFan

Songs Eliminated:
Midnight Flyer 3/26

Songs Remaining:
Already Gone
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol’ 55
Is It True
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round Three begins now.

WalshFan88
03-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Is It True

Freypower
03-26-2018, 08:43 PM
Is It True

YoungEaglesFan
03-26-2018, 09:27 PM
James dean. The song just doesn’t resonate with me

New Kid In Town
03-26-2018, 09:33 PM
Oh well, I like MR but we can't save every song.
Is It True

groupie2686
03-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Is It True

I actually like Is It True, but in my opinion it's the weakest song left.

Dawn
03-26-2018, 10:18 PM
On The Border

scottside
03-26-2018, 11:17 PM
Is It True

LovinGlennGirl
03-26-2018, 11:43 PM
On The Border gets my vote again.

sodascouts
03-27-2018, 12:09 AM
I cast my vote for On the Border again.

I encourage anyone who likes "Is It True" to vote for "On the Border" if you want to save it.

As anyone who has played this game before knows, sometimes you have to do a bit of strategic voting. When there are two songs that are headed towards the chopping block and you want to save one of them, you should vote for the other one that's close to going down.

Scarlet Sun
03-27-2018, 01:14 AM

I encourage anyone who likes "Is It True" to vote for "On the Border" if you want to save it.

As anyone who has played this game before knows, sometimes you have to do a bit of strategic voting. When there are two songs that are headed towards the chopping block and you want to save one of them, you should vote for the other one that's close to going down.

Yes, I am now just grasping this concept after participating in these games quite a few times . . . :huh:

On the Border

03-27-2018, 01:26 AM

So conversely, if you want to save "On the Border" then vote for "Is It True" to eliminate it instead.

sodascouts
03-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Yes, I am now just grasping this concept after participating in these games quite a few times . . . :huh:

I posted it for the newbies.

shunlvswx
03-27-2018, 09:17 AM
I'm voting for Is It True. Its a nice song, but I like On The Border more and this was my next song to get rid of anyway.

Desperada
03-27-2018, 09:33 AM
On the Border

Scarlet Sun
03-27-2018, 11:30 AM
I posted it for the newbies.

I was completely serious

East Texas Girl
03-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Geez, where is the Randy love? I really like Is It True a lot and Midnight Flyer was such a staple early on.

My vote is for On The Border again.

Brooke
03-27-2018, 12:42 PM
I really like Is It True!

My vote now is for On the Border. Not much to say that hasn't been said!

MaryCalifornia
03-27-2018, 01:13 PM
My vote is for On the Border

thelastresort
03-27-2018, 01:25 PM
I've been away for the past few days but will register my vote for Is It True please. Unremarkable filler. Sorry RM fans.

cosec3791
03-27-2018, 02:27 PM
For the third time, My Man

03-27-2018, 03:03 PM
I've been away for the past few days but will register my vote for Is It True please. Unremarkable filler. Sorry RM fans.

That's the same way I feel, tlr. The song is pleasant enough, but I just don't hear anything that sets it apart as anything more than that. At least, On the Border has some uniqueness and funkiness and, to my ears, is fun to listen to, especially when each member contributes their parts. And, as I said, earlier I wish Midnight Flyer had stayed in the game a little longer because I personally find it more enjoyable than Is It True. However, that's water over the dam now, and this round is going to be a real nailbiter. So, even though I generally wait to vote, I don't see any point in holding back this time. Therefore, with conviction ...

I cast my vote for Is It True.

My My
03-27-2018, 03:16 PM
I vote for On the Boarder

Claret
03-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Is It True, again.

I prefer OTB just a little bit more and I will probably vote for it in the next round if it doesn't get eliminated.

TW
03-28-2018, 02:15 AM
I vote for Is It True. I love this song, but I love "On the Border" a little more.

UndertheWire
03-28-2018, 05:15 AM
I like On The Border better, so I vote for Is it True.

Delilah
03-28-2018, 11:49 AM
I think the Eagles channel the Beatles a little better than they channel Motown.

I vote for On the Border.

The Disco Strangler
03-28-2018, 12:56 PM

Great advice. I vote for OTB.

WalshFan88
03-28-2018, 04:01 PM
I think On The Border is a standout underrated track from this album. Funky! I feel the Eagles do soul music/Motown just fine. The Long Run is very much that Motown/Stax kind of vibe and On The Border has it's funky moments as well. Two of my favorite underrated Eagles songs for sure. They do it great. I dig OTB.

I'm with Dreamer. Vote off "Is It True" and save "On The Border".

Glennsallnighter
03-28-2018, 04:58 PM
I’m sorry too that Midnight Flyer has gone already. It’s always been a favorite with our family. I love OTB too, so in an effort to save it I will vote off Is it True.

YoungEaglesFan
03-28-2018, 05:10 PM
I think On The Border is a standout underrated track from this album. Funky! I feel the Eagles do soul music/Motown just fine. The Long Run is very much that Motown/Stax kind of vibe and On The Border has it's funky moments as well. Two of my favorite underrated Eagles songs for sure. They do it great. I dig OTB.

I'm with Dreamer. Vote off "Is It True" and save "On The Border".

I totally love when the band went with the soul/ Motown vibe. I love TLR. It’s fantastic on Eagles live. OTB is a good one as well

WalshFan88
03-28-2018, 06:34 PM
I totally love when the band went with the soul/ Motown vibe. I love TLR. It’s fantastic on Eagles live. OTB is a good one as well

Yep. And of course ATTIG is a great example too.

NYC Fan
03-28-2018, 08:31 PM
If it’s not too late, I vote for Is it True.

03-28-2018, 08:35 PM
In a real squeaker, the next song to be eliminated in On the Border Survivor is Is It True. “Is It True”, if you are wondering if you might be leaving, the tribe says ‘yes’. You may be willing to change some, but it’s not important to us. Now, please leave the island. You’re really leaving … You’re really leaving … You’re really leaving …

Votes
Is It True – 12
On the Border – 11
James Dean – 1
My Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
Is It True – WalshFan88
Is It True – Freypower
Is It True – New Kid In Town
Is It True – groupie2686
Is It True – scottside
Is It True – shunlvswx
Is It True – thelastresort
Is It True – Ive always been a dreamer
Is It True – Claret
Is It True – TW
Is It True – Glennsallnighter
On the Border – Dawn
On the Border – Scarlet Sun
On the Border – Desperada
On the Border – Brooke
On the Border – My My
On the Border – Delilah
On the Border – The Disco Strangler
My Man – cosec3791

Songs Eliminated:
Midnight Flyer 3/26
Is It True 3/28

Songs Remaining:
Already Gone
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol’ 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round Four begins now.

03-28-2018, 08:50 PM
Welcome back, NYC Fan. It's good to hear from you - it's been a while. Sorry, but I can't count your vote, but fortunately, your vote didn't affect the results of this round.

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that the board clock is running between 30 - 31 minutes ahead of real time. Therefore, since a vote must be cast prior to the clock striking 8:00, I'm going to ask that your vote be registered by 8:28 in order to be counted. If you are voting at the last minute, please also keep in mind that once you hit 'Submit Reply', there can be a slight delay before the post actually registers.

WalshFan88
03-28-2018, 10:11 PM
My Man

I love the rest that's left now except this one.

NYC Fan
03-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Dreamer-

Thanks! Good to be back, and am happy to play a fun game, and to go back and revisit this album! I had password issues (couldn’t remember it), so knew I might be too late with my last vote.

This round I cast my vote for My Man.

YoungEaglesFan
03-28-2018, 10:22 PM
I adore My Man and I really like On The Border... I have to vote James Dean again

LovinGlennGirl
03-28-2018, 10:26 PM
On the Border one more time.

sodascouts
03-28-2018, 10:50 PM
"My Man" is beautiful and moving - my favorite of Bernie's songs. Such poignant lyrics, sung with such heart... it MUST remain!

On the other hand, it is time for this song to GO!

I cast my vote for On the Border!

YoungEaglesFan
03-28-2018, 10:50 PM

I think the song goes, Take It To the limit, one more time not On The Border one more time :rofl:

scottside
03-28-2018, 11:07 PM
On The Border

Freypower
03-28-2018, 11:16 PM
On The Border

New Kid In Town
03-28-2018, 11:20 PM
On The Border

Dawn
03-29-2018, 12:21 AM

I second that emotion!

:wave: On The Border ...

cosec3791
03-29-2018, 02:20 AM
For yet the friggin time again, My Man. I get that it is beautiful, poignant, but just not for me. It does not have that awesome feeling Desperado, or Wasted Time or The Sad Cafe has. Although I like it a bit more than some of the older ballads before On the Border and more than Love Will Keep Us Alive and the other HFO ballads.

Claret
03-29-2018, 05:26 AM
My Man is one of my favorite tracks from the album. Lyrics are very emotional and beautifully written. I like Bernie's vocals and pedal steel as well as the fact that he wrote both musical and lyrical parts.

As for On the Border, I have to say that I didn't like it at first but at the end it's actually a decent song, but sadly not very popular. It's funky and I like the fact that every member had a vocal part.

I vote for On the Border.

My My
03-29-2018, 09:22 AM
My vote is for On the Boarder

groupie2686
03-29-2018, 09:49 AM
On the Border

Brooke
03-29-2018, 04:14 PM
On the Border

WalshFan88
03-29-2018, 05:43 PM
For me My Man is too country for me. The only countryish song I like on this album is Ol' 55, which I hope hangs around longer than My Man, which I don't care for. I like the rockers on the album, but that's no surprise to anyone by now.

03-29-2018, 11:04 PM
Well Austin - Last round we were so in sync about Is It True, but now I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore because I like My Man more than Ol' 55. :wink: :grin:

Seriously though - I really like all of the remaining songs in the game, but, of course, some a little more than others. I just love the simplicity, poignancy, and sentiment of My Man. I also think the vocals on Ol' 55 are gorgeous, but I am not as enamored with it as some. I would vote to eliminate On the Border, but it looks like it's going down without any help from me, so I'm going to be the first here ...

I cast my vote for Ol' 55.

shunlvswx
03-30-2018, 12:05 PM
It looks like On The Border is going down and I'm not going to vote against it. So I'm going to vote for My Man.

Scarlet Sun
03-30-2018, 03:02 PM
Let's see here. Of the 6 songs I really like on the album, 2 have been voted off already and the other 4 are in little or no danger. So, i'm voting with my heart this round:

Good Day in Hell

East Texas Girl
03-30-2018, 04:17 PM
My Man is my favorite Bernie song as well, Soda! It is so heartfelt and touching. And Ol" 55 is amazing, love the harmonies!

Cast my vote for On The Border, again.

TW
03-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Looks like On the Border is a goner :cry: I'm voting for My Man.

Delilah
03-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Since OTB looks to be next on the chopping block and doesn’t need my vote, I cast my vote for James Dean.

This is getting really hard b/c as I said before, I love just about every song on this album. So any criticism I have is based on minute differences or minor details.

I vaguely remember hearing James Dean back in the day. But it must not have been too memorable b/c I had forgotten it even existed until I watched the band perform it on YT a few years ago. It came back to me but I had no idea it was an Eagles song.

I find it just a tad generic and formulaic. The rest of the songs are more unique and stand out on their own. So even though I do enjoy this song (esp. the awesome version from the California Jam), I believe it is the weakest left.

03-30-2018, 08:34 PM
The next song to be eliminated in On the Border Survivor is On the Border. “On the Border”, the tribe has spoken and you are going to be sick and tired of all our law and order. Here comes big brother and he says ‘you in some trouble boy’. So get in the driver’s seat and cruise on down the one-way street to take you off the island.

Votes
On the Border – 11
My Man – 5
James Dean – 2
Ol’ 55 – 1
Good Day in Hell – 1

Vote Breakdown
On the Border – scottside
On the Border – Freypower
On the Border – New Kid In Town
On the Border – Dawn
On the Border – Claret
On the Border – My My
On the Border – groupie2686
On the Border – Brooke
My Man – WalshFan88
My Man – NYC Fan
My Man – cosec3791
My Man – shunlvswx
My Man – TW
James Dean – Delilah
Ol’ 55 – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs Eliminated:
Midnight Flyer 3/26
Is It True 3/28
On the Border 3/30

Songs Remaining:
Already Gone
My Man
James Dean
Ol’ 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round Five begins now.

WalshFan88
03-30-2018, 08:40 PM
My Man

Just not a fan as already stated. I love all the other songs.

New Kid In Town
03-30-2018, 08:49 PM
I vote for My Man.
I also love all the other songs.

sodascouts
03-30-2018, 09:21 PM
I cast my vote for Good Day in Hell.

Yeah, it's got a great tune but.. the lyrics... ugh. "Every girl's a fork in the road" etc.

Are we really going to vote out the magnificent "My Man" before that kind of thing?

Freypower
03-30-2018, 09:26 PM
GDIH is my favourite track on this album, regardless of its lyrical content.

My Man despite its sentiments has not aged very well as a song and I vote for it.

groupie2686
03-30-2018, 09:38 PM
Oh this is tough...I love all of the songs that are left. But if I really have to pick, I'd go with My Man. I really like this song and it's my favorite of Bernie's, I just like the others more.

I really like GDIH, lyrics aside. One of Glenn's coolest.

YoungEaglesFan
03-30-2018, 10:22 PM
I just don’t get the love for James Dean. Good day In Hell is a much superior track, and My Man is a brilliant song from Bernie. If you want to save both Good Day In Hell or My Man I suggest voting James Dean. I vote James Dean

Dawn
03-30-2018, 11:28 PM
Okay Soda, you sold me I can't disagree with your argument.

:headbang: I Vote for Good Day in Hell

cosec3791
03-30-2018, 11:37 PM
Voting for My Man.

I love Good Day in Hell to bits from this album! Sure lyrics are not the strong point, but Felder'e slide is just brilliant. You guys just got to hear 1976 The Forum to see his brilliance!

Scarlet Sun
03-31-2018, 02:49 AM

Yeah, it's got a great tune but.. the lyrics... ugh. "Every girl's a fork in the road" etc.

Are we really going to vote out the magnificent "My Man" before that kind of thing?

I agree with you 100% on the lyrics, which is why I think so little of it. But i'm withholding my vote for now. I'll vote either GDIH or James Dean depending on the situation.

My My
03-31-2018, 09:35 AM
James Dean gets my vote.

WalshFan88
03-31-2018, 06:02 PM
I like GDIH, but I love James Dean. I love the rebelliousness of it. Another great example of a rock tune for this band when they at first were just country/soft rock. I love the lyrics, attitude, and I think the guitar work is spot on also!

shunlvswx
03-31-2018, 06:07 PM
Again I'm voting for My Man. I like James Dean and Good Day in Hell.

UndertheWire
03-31-2018, 08:19 PM
I choose James Dean.

scottside
03-31-2018, 10:59 PM
I vote for "The Best Of My Love."

YoungEaglesFan
03-31-2018, 11:04 PM
I vote for "The Best Of My Love."

:woah:

scottside
03-31-2018, 11:25 PM
:woah:

Sorry, but as much as I really do love every song on this album, it's time for this to go....

thelastresort
04-01-2018, 03:47 AM
I vote for James Dean. Never got the love for it. The funky intro does nothing to save the primary school grade lyrics or mediocre music from there on in.

LovinGlennGirl
04-01-2018, 06:44 AM
I am voting for My Man

Claret
04-01-2018, 06:46 AM
James Dean

Desperada
04-01-2018, 08:38 AM
The Best of My Love

cosec3791
04-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Okay this is not a vote. I already voted for My Man.

I was surprised to see backlash for James Dean as well as Good Day in Hell. I will admit they don't have the best lyrics, nor as much complexity. But, they are just absolute rockers and I would definitely have at least one of them on my dream setlist! I love the heavy guitars and when they perform those two live, especially with Walsh and Felder it is just palpable.

In James Dean, the chemistry b/w Walsh and Felder is so entertaining to watch, and the dual synchronized guitar solo is awesome! And I love Glenn screaming 1, 2, 3, 4... in the beginning. My favorite version is 1976 Houston. Felder's Les Paul is so prominent and tasty-sounding there.

As for Good Day in Hell, again Felder's Les Paul is just amazing. The slide he does, esp. live is brilliant. I like Walsh's solo before the last slide solo comes. I'd recommend checking out 1976 The Forum, which they released on 40th Anniversary. Otherwise for video, again, 1976 Houston.

I really don't get the love with My Man. It is plain boring to me, although soulful and meaningful and maybe superior musically.

Last thing, no offence, and no problem with it (everyone has opinions right?) but looking at this Forum for a few weeks. It seems like most members would trade in Hotel California and Joe Walsh in for Bernie Leadon and country rock.

thelastresort
04-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Last thing, no offence, and no problem with it (everyone has opinions right?) but looking at this Forum for a few weeks. It seems like most members would trade in Hotel California and Joe Walsh in for Bernie Leadon and country rock.

Not to go too far off-topic, but I absolutely would all day long. The Desperado era is my favourite of the band and Bernie was beyond salient to that sound. Joe was far superior in his earlier days than he was with the Eagles.

04-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Hmm - It looks like this round is going to be either My Man or James Dean eliminated. I'm not ready to vote either of these songs off, so I not going to choose. I'll just let the chips fall where they may ...

Note: I am celebrating Easter with my family this afternoon, so the results for this round may be a little late in getting posted this evening. Please do not cast your vote for the next round until you see the official notification that the voting has began for Round 6.

Scarlet Sun
04-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Seems like James Dean is the one. I like it marginally better than GDIH but . . .

James Dean

TW
04-01-2018, 04:27 PM
My Man

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2018, 06:21 PM
My man

Delilah
04-01-2018, 08:00 PM
I vote for James Dean.

04-01-2018, 08:44 PM
The next song to be eliminated in On the Border Survivor is My Man. “My Man”, the tribe has spoken and there’s nothing you can do to fight it. But, don't feel too bad, you're not all alone. So, travel along because that old hickory wind is calling you home. You are not our man, so you must leave the island.

Votes
My Man – 9
James Dean – 7
The Best of My Love – 2
Good Day in Hell – 2
Ol’ 55 – 1

Vote Breakdown
My Man – WalshFan88
My Man – New Kid In Town
My Man – Freypower
My Man – groupie2686
My Man – cosec3791
My Man – shunlvswx
My Man – LovinGlennGirl
My Man – TW
My Man– Glennsallnighter
James Dean – My My
James Dean – UndertheWire
James Dean – thelastresort
James Dean – Claret
James Dean – Scarlet Sun
James Dean – Delilah
The Best of My Love – scottside
The Best of My Love – Desperada
Good Day in Hell – sodascouts
Good Day in Hell - Dawn

Songs Eliminated:
Midnight Flyer 3/26
Is It True 3/28
On the Border 3/30
My Man 4/01

Songs Remaining:
Already Gone
James Dean
Ol’ 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round Six begins now.

YoungEaglesFan
04-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Too bad about My Man love that song, anyway I’m still voting James dean. Good day in hell is just a killer rock track and I think their most underrated song. I don’t like the fact that James Dean had 4 writers and that’s the best they could come up with. I vote James Dean again

WalshFan88
04-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Ol' 55

I like this song better than most but I want to save James Dean and Good Day In Hell right now.

scottside
04-01-2018, 10:51 PM
The Best Of My Love

LovinGlennGirl
04-01-2018, 11:59 PM
Ok, now this is getting harder to choose, but I am voting for James Dean. I love all the remaining songs, but had to pick something.

sodascouts
04-02-2018, 12:21 AM
So upset about "My Man"!

Oh well, especially today....

Ain't no such thing!

Freypower
04-02-2018, 03:21 AM
Best Of My Love

UndertheWire
04-02-2018, 05:39 AM
I'm choosing Good Day in Hell this time. I'm sorry that My Man has gone - I love Bernie's voice on that.

As an aside, although the thread title and initial post refer to the songs, my take is that it is the album version that we are voting on. Given that, there is no "chemistry" between Felder and Walsh as one was barely there and the other not at all. In contrast, Bernie was a full and founding member of the group.

I re-read the OTB part of Felder's book and he makes no mention of playing on anything other than Good Day in Hell and Already Gone so I assume that's it. From other sources, my understand is that Already Gone had already been recorded and Felder added a second lead guitar to it (the first being Glenn's) and that with Good Day in Hell he was brought in to play something that had already been composed and played live by someone else.

cosec3791
04-02-2018, 06:19 AM
Voting for Ol '55. Not my cup of tea. In fact I liked some eliminated songs (esp. You Never Cry Like a Lover) more than this. The rest of the songs I like.

cosec3791
04-02-2018, 06:25 AM
I'm choosing Good Day in Hell this time. I'm sorry that My Man has gone - I love Bernie's voice on that.

As an aside, although the thread title and initial post refer to the songs, my take is that it is the album version that we are voting on. Given that, there is no "chemistry" between Felder and Walsh as one was barely there and the other not at all. In contrast, Bernie was a full and founding member of the group.

I re-read the OTB part of Felder's book and he makes no mention of playing on anything other than Good Day in Hell and Already Gone so I assume that's it. From other sources, my understand is that Already Gone had already been recorded and Felder added a second lead guitar to it (the first being Glenn's) and that with Good Day in Hell he was brought in to play something that had already been composed and played live by someone else.

Are you referring to me? Because it seems like you are. I was the one who talked about Walsh and Felder's chemistry.

I did not know that it was based on album only! I thought, just generally what I like. The thing is, if it is album version based, I don't like any of the songs. Unlike so many here, I like live versions way more than album versions. I love the rawness and differences they make. That is what I meant by chemistry. I knew Walsh wasn't there for the recording of the album (well that is a given). But in the live versions? Obviously many are there with him and those particular performances I absolutely adore!

Soda (or any other moderator), can we vote based on live versions as well, or are we considering album versions only?

UndertheWire
04-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Cosec, yes, I was responding to you because I was surprised to see references to live versions. When the songs from a specific album are listed in order, I thought it was implied that we were considering the recordings on that album. That way, everyone is listening to to the same, readily available recording. I'm sure the moderators will clarify.

Glennsallnighter
04-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Ive had a miserable Easter with both myself and my poor husband suffering from a rotten dose that I think is bordering on flu - he has slept the most of the last 3 days and I've been suffering since yesterday afternoon. Now the 14 year old is displaying symptoms (- GOD he was the two year old when I first joined the Border!!) -so I think I might as well run with Good Day in Hell too

And FWIW, I would assume we compare the versions of the songs on the album we are discussing as opposed to any version. That way it creates a level playing field. Its what I've done anyway. Deeamer? Soda?

FreyFollower
04-02-2018, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=Glennsallnighter;374478]Ive had a miserable Easter with both myself and my poor husband suffering from a rotten dose that I think is bordering on flu - he has slept the most of the last 3 days and I've been suffering since yesterday afternoon. Now the 14 year old is displaying symptoms (- GOD he was the two year old when I first joined the Border!!)

GA, I hope you and your family are all feeling better soon!

My My
04-02-2018, 09:03 AM
My vote is for James Dean.

Glennsallnighter
04-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Thanks FF

YoungEaglesFan
04-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Are you referring to me? Because it seems like you are. I was the one who talked about Walsh and Felder's chemistry.

I did not know that it was based on album only! I thought, just generally what I like. The thing is, if it is album version based, I don't like any of the songs. Unlike so many here, I like live versions way more than album versions. I love the rawness and differences they make. That is what I meant by chemistry. I knew Walsh wasn't there for the recording of the album (well that is a given). But in the live versions? Obviously many are there with him and those particular performances I absolutely adore!

Soda (or any other moderator), can we vote based on live versions as well, or are we considering album versions only?

Of what I think I know, you can vote for any song for any reason. There is no right and wrong way to vote. That is why strategic voting is allowed

shunlvswx
04-02-2018, 11:30 AM
I'm voting for James Dean. Its an ok song, but the remaining songs are my favorites.

04-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Wow - we are all over the place this round with our votes. I guess this one bears watching. :wink: :grin:

Thanks UTW and GA. And, yes, to clarify, we are voting on the album versions of these songs. It doesn't have anything to do with strategic voting, it's just to ensure that when we discuss the merits of the songs, we are all judging the same version. I meant to mention this the other day, but I've been too busy with the Easter holiday.

ETA: BTW - Sorry for the confusion, but we have always played the survivor games this way. I didn't think about mentioning it, but with several newbies here, I guess I should have been more specific up front.

TW
04-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Good Day in Hell

groupie2686
04-02-2018, 01:42 PM
This has officially become impossible...I love all of the songs left on here. I vote for James Dean next. I like it the least of the songs left. That said, James Dean was really cool in it's day, I love watching the videos from the 70s, when they were all wearing sunglasses. The lyrics were actually quite clever too. "Along came a Spyder" - if you don't know, James Dean died in a crash of a Porsche Spyder.

New Kid In Town
04-02-2018, 02:18 PM
James Dean

Brooke
04-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Sorry to miss last round, but My Man would have been my choice even though I do like the song.

Ga, I hope you and the family are feeling better!

It's going to be tough to pick from now on. I LOVE GDIH! What a rocker! So, I won't be voting for it any time soon. After seeing one of the old videos of it and how Glenn rocked it and how much fun he was having, it's just too cool! Disregard the lyrics!

This time I vote for Ol' 55. It's pretty enough, but kind of boring.

East Texas Girl
04-02-2018, 05:30 PM
I totally missed the last round...:sad: Some of my favs are already gone. ;-)

I am with Soda on this one, I am more of a lyrics girl and I just do not care for some of them in Good Day In Hell.

Cast my vote for GDIH.

Claret
04-02-2018, 05:42 PM
I'll go with James Dean again.

04-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Okay - This round is getting a little too close for comfort. All of these remaining songs are great for various reasons, but I reaaallly love GDIH. So, I would suggest voting for James Dean if you want to save Good Day in Hell. I'm holding off on my vote for now, but will definitely join in to save GDIH if I need to.

Desperada
04-03-2018, 08:47 AM
The Best of My Love

thelastresort
04-03-2018, 02:55 PM
James Dean

Scarlet Sun
04-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Looks like James Dean will take it. From now on i'll be voting to protect the two steel songs, which are my favorites.

Good Day in Hell

longtimeeaglesfan
04-03-2018, 04:06 PM
James Dean

Delilah
04-03-2018, 05:46 PM
My vote goes to James Dean.

04-03-2018, 08:22 PM

04-03-2018, 08:33 PM
The next song to be eliminated in On the Border Survivor is James Dean. “James Dean”, the tribe has spoken and we have said bye bye. You were too fast to live and too young to die, but you had no cause. So, along comes a Spyder to pick up a rider and take you down the road off this island.

Votes
James Dean – 10
Good Day in Hell – 6
Ol’ 55 – 4
The Best of My Love – 3

Vote Breakdown
James Dean – LovinGlennGirl
James Dean – My My
James Dean – shunlvswx
James Dean – groupie2686
James Dean – New Kid In Town
James Dean – Claret
James Dean – thelastresort
James Dean – longtimeeaglesfan
James Dean – Delilah
Good Day in Hell – UndertheWire
Good Day in Hell – Glennsallnighter
Good Day in Hell – TW
Good Day in Hell – East Texas Girl
Ol’ 55 – WalshFan88
Ol’ 55– cosec3791
Ol’ 55 – Brooke
The Best of My Love – scottside
The Best of My Love – Freypower

Songs Eliminated:
Midnight Flyer 3/26
Is It True 3/28
On the Border 3/30
My Man 4/01
James Dean 4/03

Songs Remaining:
Already Gone
Ol’ 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round Seven begins now.

Reminder: As we enter into these last rounds, the board clock is running approximately 31 minutes ahead of actual time. Votes must continue to be registered no later than 8:28 in order to be counted.

WalshFan88
04-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Ol '55

Please save GDIH. Let's keep the rockers.

YoungEaglesFan
04-03-2018, 08:56 PM
I vote Ol’55. I like it but the other three are superb songs

My My
04-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Okay, WalshFan, just this one time, I'll help you out. I vote for Ol' 55.

Scarlet Sun
04-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Good Day in Hell

sodascouts
04-03-2018, 09:17 PM
I absolutely love Ol' 55. There's just something about it that really appeals to me... it's hard to explain. I love the interplay between the vocals and the way the song takes you with the guy on his journey... that final "God knows I was feeling alive.... and now the sun's comin' up, yes it is..." it just gets to me.

SAVE OL' 55

VOTE GOOD DAY IN HELL!

LovinGlennGirl
04-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Ol 55 is one of my faves ever, and I love Good Day too. Oh this is too hard. But since we are voting album versions I will vote for Good Day in Hell, the live versions are so much better.

TW
04-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Good Day in Hell

WalshFan88
04-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Okay, WalshFan, just this one time, I'll help you out. I vote for Ol' 55.

Thanks! ;)

Dawn
04-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Aargh ... critical junction. How much do I love a sentimental ballad versus a classic rocker ... I need to listen to each of the remaining songs one more time. I shall return.

04-03-2018, 09:56 PM
No! No! No!

Soda has it all backwards. I got a feeling this round is gonna be a nail biter. Join in a coalition to save the awesome, raw & rockin' Good Day in Hell!

SAVE GOOD DAY IN HELL!

VOTE FOR OL' 55!

Dawn
04-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Ok, I simply can't vote against Ol' 55. I truly love the way Glenn and Don trade vocals/split lyrics and the harmonies are just beautiful. Slide Guitar is gorgeous. This is a cover arrangement that is just plain unforgettable.

LovinGlennGirl
04-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Ok, I simply can't vote against Ol' 55. I truly love the way Glenn and Don trade vocals/split lyrics and the harmonies are just beautiful. Slide Guitar is gorgeous. This is a cover arrangement that is just plain unforgettable.

I totally agree.

scottside
04-03-2018, 11:14 PM
Ol' 55, but only because voting for The Best Of My Love again will be a wasted vote.

Freypower
04-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Ol' 55, but only because voting for The Best Of My Love again will be a wasted vote.

Not for me. I vote for Best Of My Love too.

GDIH is for me the only song in the Eagles' entire career, with the possible excpetion of Out Of Control, where they approximated the sound of the Rolling Stones and/or Led Zeppelin. I've always loved it.

cosec3791
04-04-2018, 04:33 AM
Okay guys! Sorry for the confusion with different live versions! I will now be voting based on studio versions only.

I unfortunately could not hear the studio version of Good Day in Hell as it is blocked on YouTube and not available anywhere else. But I still like the song very much. I am voting for Best of My Love. While it is beautiful live, the studio version is really, really like a lullaby.

Ol' 55 in contrast, is a beautiful soulful ballad in studio version. I like the lead vocal interplay b/w Henley and Frey! I will admit, Ol'55 is disappointing live and if it was based on any version, I would easily vote Ol'55 off. And as WalshFan says, keep the rockers!!

NYC Fan
04-04-2018, 08:29 AM
I vote for Best of My Love as well. I have always thought that if it wasn’t an Eagles song that I would really dislike it, because it’s kind of a snoozefest to me. They do such a beautiful job with it, but I like Good Day in Hell and Ol’ 55 much more, so I can’t vote for either of them.

UndertheWire
04-04-2018, 09:03 AM
It doesn't get any easier. This time, I vote for Already Gone even if it means I'll have to eat my lunch all by myself.

Desperada
04-04-2018, 09:09 AM
The Best of My Love

shunlvswx
04-04-2018, 09:20 AM
I hate to do this, but I'm joining Soda and others. :shock: I'm going to vote for Good Day In Hell. I always loved Ol' 55 because of the split vocals and I can't vote against Ol' 55, Already Gone or Best Of My Love.

longtimeeaglesfan
04-04-2018, 09:50 AM
I'll vote for Best of My Love. Although it was the song I listened to when I broke up with my first girlfriend way back in high school, now I prefer the more upbeat songs off that album.

New Kid In Town
04-04-2018, 10:28 AM
It doesn't get any easier. This time, I vote for Already Gone even if it means I'll have to eat my lunch all by myself.

UTW - :hilarious::lol:

Dawn
04-04-2018, 10:43 AM
At the the end of the day I have to agree with others who love GDIH - they made a strong case for why I should change my mind.

As such, I bid a fond farewell to Best of My Love.

:faint:

groupie2686
04-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Wow, this is getting tough...I can't vote against Ol' 55 or Good Day in Hell. I will therefore cast my vote for Best of My Love.

YoungEaglesFan
04-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Wow. This has to be one of the earliest times BOML will have been voted off (if this trend continues). I don’t really listen to the studio recording anymore but I still love the song. When played live the harmonies are better imo. I think it’s too boring in the studio

Delilah
04-04-2018, 12:06 PM
I’m about as torn as anyone but Best of My Love, folks, really?

This was their first #1. Co-written by the wonderful writing team of Don H, Glenn and J.D. It has a cool story behind it about JD getting the call when he was playing pool and flying to London. Its success was driven by radio play. When it was played live, the whole band including Henley got upfront on stage together and and were close to the audience. I know we’re basing this on the studio version, but I believe it’s a testament to the strength and character of the album track when the live version is memorable and gets special treatment.

The song itself is so lovely and wonderfully arranged with those beautiful harmonies. The first few notes are a simple and delicate introduction followed by a great descending bass part before we hear Henley’s smoky yet tender vocals about a romance in trouble. Then pedal steel adds wonderful punctuation throughout. The backing vocals are simply gorgeous. The lyrics rank among their best, IMO and I bet most fans can recite them easily.

Someone started a thread about NKIT being their most underrated hit but I really believe BOML is. It seems to garner little attention and respect yet the tide turned for these guys as a result of this song. It deserves more than a 4th place finish, imho.

I’m not voting yet b/c I’m finding it really hard to choose between the band’s most edgy, seriously authentic rocker (with the possible exception of Those Shoes) and the poignant, emotionally touching Ol 55.

Brooke
04-04-2018, 12:35 PM
I vote for Ol' 55 again. Yes, it's a beautiful song, but I like it less than the remaining.

I love the remaining GDIH, BOML, and AG!

UtW, :lol:

cosec3791
04-04-2018, 03:57 PM
I’m about as torn as anyone but Best of My Love, folks, really?

This was their first #1. Co-written by the wonderful writing team of Don H, Glenn and J.D. It has a cool story behind it about JD getting the call when he was playing pool and flying to London. Its success was driven by radio play. When it was played live, the whole band including Henley got upfront on stage together and and were close to the audience. I know we’re basing this on the studio version, but I believe it’s a testament to the strength and character of the album track when the live version is memorable and gets special treatment.

The song itself is so lovely and wonderfully arranged with those beautiful harmonies. The first few notes are a simple and delicate introduction followed by a great descending bass part before we hear Henley’s smoky yet tender vocals about a romance in trouble. Then pedal steel adds wonderful punctuation throughout. The backing vocals are simply gorgeous. The lyrics rank among their best, IMO and I bet most fans can recite them easily.

Someone started a thread about NKIT being their most underrated hit but I really believe BOML is. It seems to garner little attention and respect yet the tide turned for these guys as a result of this song. It deserves more than a 4th place finish, imho.

I’m not voting yet b/c I’m finding it really hard to choose between the band’s most edgy, seriously authentic rocker (with the possible exception of Those Shoes) and the poignant, emotionally touching Ol 55.

Well as some folks said, based on Studio version, that's why I am voting this song. In terms of live versions, Best of My Love is 100x better than Ol'55!

East Texas Girl
04-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Soda and I seem to be in the same mind set. Absolutely adore Ol' 55.

Please cast my vote for Good Day In Hell.

thelastresort
04-04-2018, 06:15 PM
I vote Good Day in Hell. Not fond of BOML but if my maths is correct then GDIH has more votes thus far, ergo stands the best chance of saving my beloved Ol' 55.

Glennsallnighter
04-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Vote Good Day in Hell off this round. I love Ol 55 and would rather keep that one.

sodascouts
04-04-2018, 09:13 PM
No... not Best of My Love! :shock:

Seriously, that song is absolutely gorgeous. The way Don sings "oh... sweet darlin... you get the best of my love" makes me melt, the "I guess that wasn't enough" breaks my heart, and the lovely harmonies... the melody, the way the arrangement builds, the emotion of it...

Plus the lyrics are great, too (unlike some OTHER songs, ahem). Great imagery: "That same old crowd was like a cold, dark cloud that we could never rise above"; I like the contrast between the dreaming and waking that's used both literally and figuratively; I like the way even something trite like "talk is cheap" can be made fresh by turning it into "cheap talk and wine" and in just a few words, represent their meaningless, shallow lifestyle very effectively. Great stuff.

Best of My Love is one of my favorite Eagles songs.

Save Best of My Love!

Save Ol' 55!

Vote Good Day in Hell!

Scarlet Sun
04-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Plus the lyrics are great, too (unlike some OTHER songs, ahem).

It's my 3rd most favorite behind PEF and TIE

New Kid In Town
04-04-2018, 11:12 PM
I vote for Good Day In Hell.

I love Ol' 55 and Best Of My Love.

UndertheWire
04-05-2018, 05:30 AM
OK, I'm swayed. Good Day in Hell

Out of Control
04-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Good Day in Hell so I can save Already Gone (because I didn't know James Dean was eliminated).

shunlvswx
04-05-2018, 12:00 PM

Seriously, that song is absolutely gorgeous. The way Don sings "oh... sweet darlin... you get the best of my love" makes me melt, the "I guess that wasn't enough" breaks my heart, and the lovely harmonies... the melody, the way the arrangement builds, the emotion of it...

Plus the lyrics are great, too (unlike some OTHER songs, ahem). Great imagery: "That same old crowd was like a cold, dark cloud that we could never rise above"; I like the contrast between the dreaming and waking that's used both literally and figuratively; I like the way even something trite like "talk is cheap" can be made fresh by turning it into "cheap talk and wine" and in just a few words, represent their meaningless, shallow lifestyle very effectively. Great stuff.

Save Best of My Love!

Save Ol' 55!

Vote Good Day in Hell!

I was surprised Best of My Love was going down very fast. I've already been swayed earlier. I couldn't vote against Ol' 55.

cosec3791
04-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Save Best of My Love!

Save Ol' 55!

Vote Good Day in Hell!

Lol I am typing this while listening to Best of My Love from 1979 Osaka. Such a beautiful version! I love the crowd cheering so much after Glenn exclaimed "One More!" And their singing along during "Oh Sweet Darling" is just an amazing moment! But based on studio? BOML is a snoozefest! Even Ol '55, a song I do not like at all is better on studio.

And no offence, but not everybody wants ballads. Even Glenn acknowledges it sometimes in concerts! So, it is not surprising if people (including me) vote off the two ballads.

Delilah
04-05-2018, 07:57 PM

In one of Felder’s relatively recent press or video threads, he says in an interview that he dubbed in some guitar on the title track, OTB.

Even if the slide guitar part was already composed, he still put his own stamp on it. I happen to love GDIH; it truly rocks! And Felder is a big reason for that.

That being said, I would probably choose it as the next to go if the voting was closer. But it looks to be the next casualty, so looking ahead to save BOML, my vote goes to Ol’ 55.

04-05-2018, 08:23 PM
OK, I'm swayed. Good Day in Hell

UTW - You already voted in this round (Post #207).

You are already gone - only one vote per round, Missy! lol

04-05-2018, 08:32 PM
The next song to be eliminated in On the Border Survivor is Good Day in Hell. “Good Day in Hell”, the tribe has spoken and you have gone down in flames. Seeing how’s you’re going down, don’t get yourself in a sticky situation. You need to leave the island, so take that fork in the road to get yourself out of town.

Votes
Good Day in Hell – 10
The Best of My Love – 7
Ol’ 55 – 7
Already Gone – 1

Vote Breakdown
Good Day in Hell – LovinGlennGirl
Good Day in Hell – TW
Good Day in Hell – shunlvswx
Good Day in Hell – East Texas Girl
Good Day in Hell – thelastresort
Good Day in Hell – Glennsallnighter
Good Day in Hell – New Kid In Town
Good Day in Hell – Out of Control
The Best of My Love – Freypower
The Best of My Love– cosec3791
The Best of My Love – NYC Fan
The Best of My Love – longtimeeaglesfan
The Best of My Love – Dawn
The Best of My Love – groupie2686
Ol’ 55 – WalshFan88
Ol’ 55 – YoungEaglesFan
Ol’ 55 – My My
Ol’ 55 – scottside
Ol’ 55 – Brooke
Ol’ 55 – Delilah
Already Gone – UndertheWire

Songs Eliminated:
Midnight Flyer 3/26
Is It True 3/28
On the Border 3/30
My Man 4/01
James Dean 4/03
Good Day in Hell 4/05

Songs Remaining:
Already Gone
Ol’ 55
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round Eight begins now.

Reminder: As we enter into these last rounds, the board clock is running approximately 31 minutes ahead of actual time. Votes must continue to be registered on the board clock no later than 8:28 in order to be counted.

New Kid In Town
04-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Oh My Gosh - It is so hard to choose between these three songs ! I love them all. I will have to think about it for awhile.

Freypower
04-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Best Of My Love

LovinGlennGirl
04-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Best of My Love

My My
04-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Ol' 55

YoungEaglesFan
04-05-2018, 09:49 PM
I vote ol’55. Already gone and best of my love are simply too important to the bands legacy to be voted out.

WalshFan88
04-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Ol' 55

Dawn
04-05-2018, 11:11 PM
Best Of My Love

scottside
04-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Best Of My Love

groupie2686
04-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Best of My Love

TW
04-05-2018, 11:42 PM
Ol' 55

UndertheWire
04-06-2018, 03:28 AM
UTW - You already voted in this round (Post #207).

You are already gone - only one vote per round, Missy! lol
Sorry, I thought we were already onto the next round!

As it's now time, I'll vote Already Gone.

Best of my Love is all about lying on my bedroom floor and lifting the stylus to play it one more time. It's the song that transformed them.

Desperada
04-06-2018, 04:54 AM
Best of My Love

cosec3791
04-06-2018, 05:08 AM
Darn! Good Day in Hell went! NO!!

I am voting for Best of My Love again.

NYC Fan
04-06-2018, 06:40 AM
Best of My Love

Claret
04-06-2018, 06:47 AM
Ol' 55

longtimeeaglesfan
04-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Best of My Love

04-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Wow! I gotta say I have participated in every single Survivor game on this board and this has got to be one of the weirdest ones ever. lol

First of all, @ cosec3791 - I'm truly am not trying to be critical, but I am genuinely confused about the how you could love live versions of these songs, but not even like any of the album versions. The Eagles stayed as true to the album versions in live concerts as just about any band ever, so there's just not that much difference to my ears. Yes, there are some minor differences, but, generally, not enough to cause me to go from loving one version to not even liking the other. JMHO

Now to the important matter at hand - Ol' 55 vs. The Best of My Love. Both of these songs have beautiful music, vocals and harmonies. But, lyrically, they are not even close. IMHO, BOML's lyrics are far superior to Ol' 55. And besides that, Ol' 55 is a cover - it wasn't even written by the band. And I say, thank goodness for that. :wink: :grin:

So, BOML lovers, let's join together and save this song. It's not too late!

SAVE THE BEST OF MY LOVE!

VOTE FOR OL' 55!

Brooke
04-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Well, first of all I'm completely bummed that GDIH, one of the few Eagles rockers, is gone! I love that song! I know the lyrics are not the greatest, but it truly rocks!

And now, again, I vote for Ol'55. No comparison at all to BOML or AG! NONE!

SAVE THE BEST OF MY LOVE!

PLEASE! VOTE OL' 55

Dawn
04-06-2018, 12:44 PM
I agree Brooke about GDIH. FWIW - I changed my mind about GDIH because without that song being recorded it is a safe bet there would be no HC.

Can't vote against AG. As for Ol'55 even though it's a cover I love the arrangement and never get tired of listening to the song unlike BOML.

East Texas Girl
04-06-2018, 01:30 PM
Although I really like Ol' 55 it is just a cover, even though the guys put their own spin on it. I feel it should go before Eagles pinned songs.

Cast my vote for Ol' 55.