PDA

View Full Version : Which line-up had the best harmonies? (and other harmony-related questions)

groupie2686
05-14-2018, 11:14 AM
What line-up do you think had the best harmonies? In a way, I think their best harmonies were with the original line-up. Don's and Randy's voices blended together very well, as did Glenn's and Bernie's. Their "my daddy was a handsome devil" a cappella bit is just gorgeous. To their credit, they were very good at replicating the sound with the different replacements over the years; their harmonies sounded beautiful in HFO. In other concerts in later years, however, I didn't think they were quite up to par with their earlier sound.

On a side note, I was listening to the HFO second night and in The Best of My Love, the higher voice sounded so much like Randy I could have sworn it was him, if I didn't know it wasn't. I assume it was Timothy, but their voices sound different to me. Was it another band member singing in falsetto? Also, did Timothy take over singing with Glenn in the second verse of Take It Easy? I know that was Randy's part, but it didn't sound like Timothy in the HFO version.

Derk
05-14-2018, 01:09 PM
I agree that the original band had the "magical " sound. They were great throughout but that original sound was something special. I think Randy's ability to compliment the others, come in strong and then back off added some real uniqueness to their sound. I'm 54 this year, and maybe part of my fondness of the original 4, then 5, was the Greatest Hits Volume 1 cassette that my family burned through many time driving up into Canada. I have always thought their sound was great, even after Bernie and Randy left, but If I have to vote, I'd say the original 4.
On an off-topic subject, my In-laws just handed over their tickets to the 5/24 Spokane show as they had other plans they could not get out of. So personally I am thankful that Don got sick as this will be my first time ever to hear them live. I had tickets to the HOE a few years back and I had to give them away to a family member as I was ill, I really regret not getting to see Glenn before he passed.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-14-2018, 01:17 PM
We have had similar discussions on the board numerous times and I can't pick a favorite vocal lineup of the band while Glenn was alive. I loved them all for different reasons.

groupie2686
05-14-2018, 04:01 PM
My apologies, Dreamer, I didn't realize this had already been discussed. Feel free to merge or delete this thread, then.

Freypower
05-14-2018, 07:35 PM
What line-up do you think had the best harmonies? In a way, I think their best harmonies were with the original line-up. Don's and Randy's voices blended together very well, as did Glenn's and Bernie's. Their "my daddy was a handsome devil" a cappella bit is just gorgeous. To their credit, they were very good at replicating the sound with the different replacements over the years; their harmonies sounded beautiful in HFO. In other concerts in later years, however, I didn't think they were quite up to par with their earlier sound.

On a side note, I was listening to the HFO second night and in The Best of My Love, the higher voice sounded so much like Randy I could have sworn it was him, if I didn't know it wasn't. I assume it was Timothy, but their voices sound different to me. Was it another band member singing in falsetto? Also, did Timothy take over singing with Glenn in the second verse of Take It Easy? I know that was Randy's part, but it didn't sound like Timothy in the HFO version.

Yes.

I tend to agree that the original four had the best harmony blend, because there were four voices. Once Randy left, most of the time it seemed reduced to three, as you barely hear Joe and/or Felder in any harmonies.

Scarlet Sun
05-14-2018, 08:06 PM
you barely hear Joe . . . in any harmonies.

He's there, though. I agree that it's hard to pick him out, but he took over Bernie's place the harmony stack. Still, I agree that the original four had the best vocal sound

New Kid In Town
05-14-2018, 08:13 PM
I would agree and say the original four had the best harmonies. If you look at you tube videos you see that Felder does not sing a lot of the time. And, I also have a hard time picking out Joe's voice most of the time.

Dawn
05-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Yes.

I tend to agree that the original four had the best harmony blend, because there were four voices. Once Randy left, most of the time it seemed reduced to three, as you barely hear Joe and/or Felder in any harmonies.

This is my feeling as well.

YoungEaglesFan
05-14-2018, 11:20 PM
Yes.

I too echo FP’s feelings. The original 4 (plus Felder if you like) had the best voices. I don’t like that the 4 part harmony reduced down to only 3. It was still great but I just wish Joe was more involved. I do think Bernie is a better harmony singer than Joe but I wonder if Bernie would fit on a song like NKIT.

Brooke
05-16-2018, 01:50 PM
The original 4 had the best harmonies, imo. To me, there's just nothing since like it.

East Texas Girl
05-16-2018, 02:46 PM
The original 4 had the best harmonies, imo. To me, there's just nothing since like it.

I feel the same way, Brooke.

Delilah
05-16-2018, 03:10 PM

I agree.

Of course they created nice harmonies later as well but as the band moved to be a more guitar-driven act, the harmony stacking seemed to take a back seat in their later albums. The exception is “Seven Bridges Road.”

Ive always been a dreamer
05-16-2018, 04:20 PM
My apologies, Dreamer, I didn't realize this had already been discussed. Feel free to merge or delete this thread, then.

Groupie, my apologies for the delayed response, but this thread is fine as it is. There are several threads that are similar, but each has a little different twist on it. However, what I really meant to say is that with one of the Eagles signatures being their awesome harmonies, the topic, understandably, comes up often in board discussions.

Now, I seem to be the only one who feels this way, but I want to come to the defense of the harmonies of the later renditions of the band. I don't think the band abandoned their harmonies at all in later years. To me, Hotel California, The Long Run, and Long Road Out of Eden albums all had incredible harmonizing on them. I don't believe the band lost anything eitherr in terms of quantity or quality.

YoungEaglesFan
05-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Groupie, my apologies for the delayed response, but this thread is fine as it is. There are several threads that are similar, but each has a little different twist on it. However, what I really meant to say is that with one of the Eagles signatures being their awesome harmonies, the topic, understandably, comes up often in board discussions.

Now, I seem to be the only one who feels this way, but I want to come to the defense of the harmonies of the later renditions of the band. I don't think the band abandoned their harmonies at all in later years. To me, Hotel California, The Long Run, and Long Road Out of Eden albums all had incredible harmonizing on them. I don't believe the band lost anything eitherr in terms of quantity or quality.

I feel that the harmonies are exceptional on Hotel California as well. I don’t think that on a practical level the band missed out on Bernie. The long run I feel wasn’t as good because although the harmonies are still fantastic, they seem less “full” and more of Glenn, Don, and Timothy doing all the work. I feel Timothy was a downgrade not because Timothy isn’t good, but I told Randy in a extremely high regard vocally. His type of voice is just hard to replicate. I don’t think Timothy made them necessarily worse, rather just less like the “Eagles sound”. Randy’s range and smoothness I think worked well with Glenn. Timothy it seems has worked better with Don vocally. I do think timothy was probably going to be the singer whose voice would age better. He was great on LROOE, and his harmonies on WITW are spectacular. I think he is a great aging act voice. Definitely a major asset to the band in the recent years

Freypower
05-16-2018, 06:37 PM
I agree with both the last two posts, but when it comes down to it I had to choose the original four. Randy was a far superior singer than Joe & Bernie's harmonies more distinctive than Tim's.

Delilah
05-17-2018, 11:47 AM
I agree that the original band had the "magical " sound. They were great throughout but that original sound was something special. I think Randy's ability to compliment the others, come in strong and then back off added some real uniqueness to their sound. I'm 54 this year, and maybe part of my fondness of the original 4, then 5, was the Greatest Hits Volume 1 cassette that my family burned through many time driving up into Canada. I have always thought their sound was great, even after Bernie and Randy left, but If I have to vote, I'd say the original 4.
On an off-topic subject, my In-laws just handed over their tickets to the 5/24 Spokane show as they had other plans they could not get out of. So personally I am thankful that Don got sick as this will be my first time ever to hear them live. I had tickets to the HOE a few years back and I had to give them away to a family member as I was ill, I really regret not getting to see Glenn before he passed.

Nice post, Derk. I especially agree with the bolded part, which I have seen expressed numerous times outside this board. Enjoy the concert!

If you’re referring to my post, I didn’t say the band abandoned their harmonies; in fact I said they had nice harmonies later as well. It doesn’t seem the band emphasized the harmony stacking like they did in the earlier albums. Hotel California has some beautiful harmonies but the vocal arrangements had a bit of a different approach (and there’s nothing wrong with that).

I believe the harmony sound changed when Bernie left. Felder even said so in his book and that affected how the vocals were arranged. But they still had Randy at that point, and his voice added a particular flavor to the songs that helped give the band that Eagles sound. As others have said, after Randy left the band seemed to go to 3-part (and even 2-part) harmonies which is fine, but that didn’t distinguish them much from other bands who also had nice vocal harmonies. There is an exception here and there, like with Seven Bridges Road. Also, Waiting in the Weeds, which has a really lovely 2-part harmony with Don and Timothy that stands out from the rest of the later output, IMO.

thelastresort
05-17-2018, 12:48 PM

I concur.

travlnman2
05-17-2018, 12:50 PM
The original 4

Then the RRHOF 7. Even if it was just for 2 songs

YoungEaglesFan
05-17-2018, 01:12 PM
One can dream of all 7 of them doing a song together In the studio in their prime. If only...

DJ
05-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Hands down the original 4 had the best harmonies. There was something very magical on how well their voices harmonized to create the Original Eagles sound. Miss those harmonies. :love:

Freypower
05-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Nice post, Derk. I especially agree with the bolded part, which I have seen expressed numerous times outside this board. Enjoy the concert!

If you’re referring to my post, I didn’t say the band abandoned their harmonies; in fact I said they had nice harmonies later as well. It doesn’t seem the band emphasized the harmony stacking like they did in the earlier albums. Hotel California has some beautiful harmonies but the vocal arrangements had a bit of a different approach (and there’s nothing wrong with that).

I believe the harmony sound changed when Bernie left. Felder even said so in his book and that affected how the vocals were arranged. But they still had Randy at that point, and his voice added a particular flavor to the songs that helped give the band that Eagles sound. As others have said, after Randy left the band seemed to go to 3-part (and even 2-part) harmonies which is fine, but that didn’t distinguish them much from other bands who also had nice vocal harmonies. There is an exception here and there, like with Seven Bridges Road. Also, Waiting in the Weeds, which has a really lovely 2-part harmony with Don and Timothy that stands out from the rest of the later output, IMO.

I have had to explain this before. Glenn does sing harmony on WITW. He sings the lowest part.

YoungEaglesFan
05-17-2018, 08:25 PM
I have had to explain this before. Glenn does sing harmony on WITW. He sings the lowest part.

I find him the hardest to hear on that song by a lot. Is his part quieter on purpose or just by the nature of the harmony?

Freypower
05-17-2018, 08:56 PM
I find him the hardest to hear on that song by a lot. Is his part quieter on purpose or just by the nature of the harmony?

I have no idea. I suppose it is harder to hear because it's the lowest part.

cosec3791
05-18-2018, 08:58 AM
I am a massive fan of Felder and Walsh, but even I admit it, the original 4 were the best in terms of harmonies.

OntheBorder74
05-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Yes by far the orginal four because they sounded so full and yet could divide up the parts so well and make the most of them, suh as Bernie doing the main harmonies on PEF or three part blend on saturday night. THey never really did the two part harmonies like during the second verse of TIE in later incarnations.

The best harmonies post the fab four was probably on Wasted Time whne the big AAAhhhs come in on the line I think "I remember what you told me,when you run out on your own.. keep it together you go tto leave it alone" bit was extroadinary

Freypower
05-18-2018, 11:25 PM
Yes by far the orginal four because they sounded so full and yet could divide up the parts so well and make the most of them, suh as Bernie doing the main harmonies on PEF or three part blend on saturday night. THey never really did the two part harmonies like during the second verse of TIE in later incarnations.

The best harmonies post the fab four was probably on Wasted Time whne the big AAAhhhs come in on the line I think "I remember what you told me,when you run out on your own.. keep it together you go tto leave it alone" bit was extroadinary

Don & Glenn do some great two part harmonies on the song LROOE. Once again this album is overlooked.

I must say though, the harmonies in both Wasted Time & The Last Resort (brief though they are in the latter song) come as a relief as Henley has dominated both songs so completely until they arrive.

It also should be said that some of the harmonies on The Long Run are barely worthy of mention, and The Disco Strangler has no backing vocals at all. It does seem that as they moved away from country rock, they moved away from layered harmonies & towards more emphasis on the lead vocal, which is most glaringly obvious on the Hotel California album, despite the glorious harmonies of NKIT, PMIAR & TALA.

Delilah
05-19-2018, 01:04 AM

I’m referring to the chorus where I struggle to hear that lowest part. I have listened to this again a few times and this is what I hear.

1st chorus at 1:34 - Don and Timothy singing, no low part detected

2nd chorus at 3:02 - Don and Timothy again, this time I hear a low voice punched in at ‘settle’ and ‘town’ then Don sings solo again at 3:37 (‘you’re swinging on the top...’)

‘aaahs’ at 3:55 - no low part detected but Glenn could be singing higher here

3rd chorus at 4:46 - more punched in low parts at ‘fall’ ‘tides’ then Timothy breaks away to sing the answering part (‘waiting in the weeds’ ‘floating on the breeze’ ‘keeping to myself’) as Don continues the chorus mostly by himself. Another punched in low part at ‘changing.’

‘Oohs’ and ‘aaahs’ at 6:33 no low part but again Glenn could be singing here (as I have said before when previously discussing this song).

After carefully listening I do hear some low notes at certain parts of the chorus but they are quite subtle. Since I’ve never heard Glenn sing that low, I can’t identify the voice as his or rule out it being Joe (although I doubt it). It could be Henley himself dubbing in those parts or maybe even Steuart Smith given he co-wrote the song. There also seems to be some kind of voice effect like reverb going on during the chorus. At any rate, it still seems to be a 2-part harmony which dominates the chorus, at least to me.

Do the liner notes say who sings bgv on this song?

Freypower
05-19-2018, 02:51 AM
I hear Glenn in the parts which you claim are 'punched in', the low parts, particularly the word 'changing' and also in the last chorus, 'the tide's eternal tune' etc. During the section where Tim is doing the answering, I think he's singing with Don, although he's not easy to hear. His voice deepened as he got older; see the title track. He isn't very prominent & he is hard to pick out, that's true. He may not be there in the 'ah ah ah' part although I find it hard to see why he wouldn't be.

The credits on LROOE are notorious for their lack of information. They do not list backing vocals credits. I should mention, however, that none of the backing band receive any credits for vocals.

BerniesSurfboard
05-19-2018, 03:16 AM
I have to go with the original lineup as well!

chaim
05-19-2018, 08:29 AM
I hear Glenn in the parts which you claim are 'punched in', the low parts, particularly the word 'changing' and also in the last chorus, 'the tide's eternal tune' etc. During the section where Tim is doing the answering, I think he's singing with Don, although he's not easy to hear. His voice deepened as he got older; see the title track. He isn't very prominent & he is hard to pick out, that's true. He may not be there in the 'ah ah ah' part although I find it hard to see why he wouldn't be.

The credits on LROOE are notorious for their lack of information. They do not list backing vocals credits. I should mention, however, that none of the backing band receive any credits for vocals.

I checked the first chorus and I definitely hear a harmony below Don's main melody throughout the chorus - not just on certain words. And I hear two parts above the main melody. So I hear four parts in all. The lowest part may be hard to hear in places, because it blends with the instruments in terms of frequencies?

YoungEaglesFan
05-19-2018, 01:11 PM
Is there any video of them performing WITW or even audio where maybe Glenn’s part is more audible live? That might help provide some help

groupie2686
05-19-2018, 02:13 PM
I can definitely hear Glenn in Waiting in the Weeds. (However I'd love to see a video of them performing it, I love this song!)

Freypower
05-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Is there any video of them performing WITW or even audio where maybe Glenn’s part is more audible live? That might help provide some help

No. Don't forget that the entire album has been consigned to history. It's like it never existed.

Also, obviously, a live performance is not the recording, although when I saw them play it Glenn was singing harmony throughout.