PDA

View Full Version : Queen and Freddie Mercury Biopic Trailer Released

Dawn
05-16-2018, 12:02 AM
Bohemian Rhapsody

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/15/bohemian-rhapsody-first-trailer-queen-freddie-mercury-biopic

Freypower
05-16-2018, 12:39 AM
I watched it earlier today. It looks absolutely amazing. Normally I hear the word 'biopic' & I run a mile but this looks good.

shunlvswx
05-16-2018, 09:43 AM
I watched the trailer. It looks good. I'm so glad its finally coming out after years and years of setbacks.

I was looking up on Wikipedia about the movie and who plays who. I remembered the guy who plays Freddie Mercury from the movie Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2. Then the guy who plays John Deacon I remembered him from so many movies when he was a kid. He's all grown up now.

Dawn
05-16-2018, 10:53 AM
What an amazing human being Freddie Mercury was - I am thrilled the film is headed for the big screen soon and hope the screenplay and actors do him justice, as well as his former lover and long time friend Mary Austin, other key people and events eg Live Aid concert.

Speaking of Live Aid here is a brief clip of a few of Freddie's and Queen's most memorable performances which includes some of Live Aid, Barcelona, The Great Pretender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeEpjHxZEUM

groupie2686
05-16-2018, 11:07 AM
As a life-long Queen fan (since the age of 5), I have mixed feelings about this. I haven't seen the trailer yet, but I generally don't like biopics of people I really like, as I feel the actors never even come close to the original. I might have to see this though...I remember the actor who plays Freddie as Pharoah Akmenrah from the Night at the Museum movies.

Queen at Live Aid was AWESOME...the best live performance I have ever seen (well, I didn't see it live, just on the DVD). No one could hold an audience like Freddie (imo).

shunlvswx
05-16-2018, 11:15 AM
I remembered watching some of Live Aid on MTV when I was 5. I think it was live on MTV. The only performance I remembered was Queen. I couldn't remembered anybody else's performance.

Dawn
05-16-2018, 11:16 AM
As a life-long Queen fan (since the age of 5), I have mixed feelings about this. I haven't seen the trailer yet, but I generally don't like biopics of people I really like, as I feel the actors never even come close to the original. I might have to see this though...I remember the actor who plays Freddie as Pharoah Akmenrah from the Night at the Museum movies.

Queen at Live Aid was AWESOME...the best live performance I have ever seen (well, I didn't see it live, just on the DVD). No one could hold an audience like Freddie (imo).

Yes, I agree - I find most biopics hard to embrace. How do you capture lightening in a bottle?

I am hopeful this biopic hits the mark.

groupie2686
05-16-2018, 01:34 PM
I remembered watching some of Live Aid on MTV when I was 5. I think it was live on MTV. The only performance I remembered was Queen. I couldn't remembered anybody else's performance.

I wasn't quite born yet when Live Aid aired - I believe it was the summer of 1985 and I was born in February 1986. Queen totally stole the show. I have the entire concert on DVD and it's definitely worth it. Another fantastic Queen performance is their live at Wembley concert from 1986.

shunlvswx
05-16-2018, 01:38 PM
I wasn't quite born yet when Live Aid aired - I believe it was the summer of 1985 and I was born in February 1986. Queen totally stole the show. I have the entire concert on DVD and it's definitely worth it. Another fantastic Queen performance is their live at Wembley concert from 1986.

Yes it was July 1985. I love the Wembley concert. I've seen the video on YouTube.

Dawn
05-16-2018, 01:43 PM
I gotta say ... Freddie soared on Barcelona ... Incredible performance with the great Montserrat Caballé

Freypower
05-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Typical Guardian overthinking that the gay angle & Parsi background has perhaps been downplayed. This was only a trailer. If it isn't done exactly how the Guardian PC police demand, it must be no good.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/16/freddie-mercury-biopic-trailer-queen-bohemian-rhapsody-queerwash

Dawn
05-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Typical Guardian overthinking that the gay angle & Parsi background has perhaps been downplayed. This was only a trailer. If it isn't done exactly how the Guardian PC police demand, it must be no good.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/16/freddie-mercury-biopic-trailer-queen-bohemian-rhapsody-queerwash

Thanks for the link FP, I must say you are exactly right ... IT IS ONLY A TRAILER.

Dawn
05-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Sacha Baron Cohen explains why he backed out.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/03/sacha-baron-cohen-explains-why-he-quit-the-freddie-mercury-biopic/

From another source ... reportedly the biopic written by Anthony McCarten (The Theory of Everything) focuses on a 15-year period from the formation of Queen and up to their performance at Live Aid in 1985, six years before Mercury’s death.

Surely the story doesn'nt end there. It can't because that wasn't the end.

Freypower
05-16-2018, 10:22 PM
Sacha Baron Cohen explains why he backed out.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/03/sacha-baron-cohen-explains-why-he-quit-the-freddie-mercury-biopic/

From another source ... reportedly the biopic written by Anthony McCarten (The Theory of Everything) focuses on a 15-year period from the formation of Queen and up to their performance at Live Aid in 1985, six years before Mercury’s death.

Surely the story doesn'nt end there. It can't because that wasn't the end.

It wouldn't be the first time a biopic has only told part of the story. Think of Walk The Line. That finished when Johnny Cash & June became a couple, just as he was really becoming a big name.

Dawn
05-17-2018, 11:13 AM
It wouldn't be the first time a biopic has only told part of the story. Think of Walk The Line. That finished when Johnny Cash & June became a couple, just as he was really becoming a big name.

That is very true - I don't know why I asked the question. All things considered I am just glad the story is bring told at all and hopeful the screenplay and acting won't disappoint.

shunlvswx
05-17-2018, 11:50 AM
To tell the truth. I don't want to see Freddie's last few years on Earth. I'm kinda glad they are leaving that out.

Also. Most of the documentaries they have done on Queen never really went into depth of how they met and getting their record deal. I'm looking forward to seeing that in the movie. Also seeing the making of Bohemian Rhapsody and the record company complaining its too long.

I wonder how much they will get into his relationship with Mary Austin. They have her in the movie, but how much are they going to talk about it. It looks like they show Freddie meeting Jim Hutton.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. A whole movie and not other people talking about a group or their memories.

groupie2686
05-17-2018, 12:04 PM
To tell the truth. I don't want to see Freddie's last few years on Earth. I'm kinda glad they are leaving that out.

Also. Most of the documentaries they have done on Queen never really went into depth of how they met and getting their record deal. I'm looking forward to seeing that in the movie. Also seeing the making of Bohemian Rhapsody and the record company complaining its too long.

I wonder how much they will get into his relationship with Mary Austin. They have in the movie, but how much they will talk about it. It looks like they show Freddie meeting Jim Hutton.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. A whole movie and not other people talking about a group or their memories.

Have you ever seen the video for These Are the Days of Our Lives? You can see how sick he was. They had a lot of make-up on him but you could see how sick he was, he was practically skeletal.

Like I said, I still have mixed feelings, but I might see it anyway. Is Rami Malek doing his own singing or lip-syncing to Freddie's voice?

shunlvswx
05-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Have you ever seen the video for These Are the Days of Our Lives? You can see how sick he was. They had a lot of make-up on him but you could see how sick he was, he was practically skeletal.

Like I said, I still have mixed feelings, but I might see it anyway. Is Rami Malek doing his own singing or lip-syncing to Freddie's voice?

Yes I have. I love that video and song. They did a documentary on Freddie I think a year or two ago that I thought was good. The actor that played him almost looked like Freddie. Its still on Youtube. They really went into depth of Freddie's last few years on Earth and what he had to do keep his illness a secret until the very end.

I notice that Rami's last name is almost the same as my middle name, but I have a "a" at the end.

CAinOH
05-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Is Rami Malek doing his own singing or lip-syncing to Freddie's voice?

From what I've found, singing a bit, but most of it will be Freddie himself with Rami lip syncing... and a sound-alike. Boy, they're covering all the bases here, aren't they?

https://www.etonline.com/movies/207396_exclusive_rami_malek_reveals_he_will_sing_a s_freddie_mercury_queen_biopic_bohemian_rhapsody

https://metro.co.uk/2017/09/06/sound-alikes-to-be-used-in-upcoming-freddie-mercury-biopic-as-rami-malek-wont-be-singing-everything-6907707/

Count me in with those who love Queen, loved hearing (and seeing) Freddie Mercury sing, but on the fence about this picture.

Freypower
05-17-2018, 07:07 PM
One of my favourite anecdotes about Freddie was the time Queen were recording A Day At The Races & the Sex Pistols were at the same studio during their extremely short stint at EMI. Sid Vicious apparently ran into Freddie.

So you're the bloke that's supposed to be bringing ballet to the masses?" asks a sneering Sid Vicious during a brief encounter in the conjoining corridor. "Ah, Mr Ferocious!" pipes back Freddie Mercury, "well, we're trying our best!"