PDA

View Full Version : The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Delilah
06-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Glenn and Don are often considered one of the best songwriting duos in popular music. The first song they wrote together, Desperado, is usually ranked at or near the top of the Eagles catalog. What was the last really great song they co-wrote without anyone else receiving credit?

Here is a compiled list:

1. Desperado
2. Tequila Sunrise
3. Good Day in a Hell
4. One of These Nights
5. Lyin Eyes
6. After the Thrill is Gone
7. Wasted Time
8. The Last Resort
9. The Long Run
10. King of Hollywood
11. Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
12. Get Over It
13. Hole in the World
14. Busy Being Fabulous
15. What Do I Do With My Heart
16. Fast Company
17. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture

Out of these 17 tracks, Henley sings lead on 11 and co-lead on 4. I know he took over a lot of the leads as time went on but this is a bit of an eye-opener considering the songwriting credit is split 50-50 on these songs.

Anyway, my choice is The Last Resort. Not that the other songs that followed aren’t good, they just don’t measure up to this one imo.

Thoughts?

maryc2130
06-03-2018, 05:11 PM
I also vote for The Last Resort. I think the quality of the songs they wrote together drops off after that, although there are a few of them I like.

I'm not surprised about those statistics on Don and lead vocals. It seems he's always been most interested in singing llead vocals on the songs for which he wrote the majority of the lyrics.

YoungEaglesFan
06-03-2018, 05:23 PM
I would probably have to say The Last Resort or The Long Run as being the best. If you put a emphasis on lyrics than it’s the last resort but I think the Long Run is an overall better song. They had some good moments since then but the word great is just a bit too strong.

New Kid In Town
06-03-2018, 06:20 PM
From what I read Glenn did most of the arranging of the music. Hence "The Lone Arranger" nickname. Also, Glenn had that thing about wanting Don to sing lead from OOTN onward(A mistake in my opinion). Also, he was classically trained on the piano from ages 5 to 13 and suited for his role as the arranger of their music. I read somewhere that Don, Joe and Bernie all had some piano lesson but not anything as long as Glenn. JMHO, but I think they did more of the writing(lyrics) together in the early years. Don did confirm in the RS memorial issue that Glenn also wrote/ contributed lyrics for HC.

YEF - I have to disagree. I don't dislike either song. However, I think TLR is too long and goes on and on. The LR is ok, but I personally would not but it as one of their best songs. Just MHO, but I would say Desperado, Tequila Sunrise and Wasted Time would be my top three.

YoungEaglesFan
06-03-2018, 06:41 PM
From what I read Glenn did most of the arranging of the music. Hence "The Lone Arranger" nickname. Also, Glenn had that thing about wanting Don to sing lead from OOTN onward(A mistake in my opinion). Also, he was classically trained on the piano from ages 5 to 13 and suited for his role as the arranger of their music. I read somewhere that Don, Joe and Bernie all had some piano lesson but not anything as long as Glenn. JMHO, but I think they did more of the writing(lyrics) together in the early years. Don did confirm in the RS memorial issue that Glenn also wrote/ contributed lyrics for HC.

YEF - I have to disagree. I don't dislike either song. However, I think TLR is too long and goes on and on. The LR is ok, but I personally would not but it as one of their best songs. Just MHO, but I would say Desperado, Tequila Sunrise and Wasted Time would be my top three.
I’m not exactly sure what this thread means, but I took it to mean what was Don and Glenn’s last best co-write. That’s why I said TLR and LR. Those wouldn’t be in my top 5 if we were talking all time.

New Kid In Town
06-03-2018, 06:57 PM
I’m not exactly sure what this thread means, but I took it to mean what was Don and Glenn’s last best co-write. That’s why I said TLR and LR. Those wouldn’t be in my top 5 if we were talking all time.

:oops: Sorry YEF, you are right. It is about the last best co-write. Sorry, I am tired- I had a crappy night sleep last night ! I agree, neither song would be in my top five either.

YoungEaglesFan
06-03-2018, 06:59 PM
:oops: Sorry YEF, you are right. It is about the last best co-write. Sorry, I am tired- I had a crappy night sleep last night ! I agree, neither song would be in my top five either.

No worries NKIT, it happens to all us lol.

WalshFan88
06-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Get Over It.

I did not like LROOE at all. I still don't. It isn't even in my iTunes library anymore.

I thought Get Over It should have been on a studio album and been played more live after the HFO tour was over. It's one of my favorite Eagles songs. Wish there was a studio version of it and I wish there was more live footage of it too.

Freypower
06-03-2018, 08:01 PM
It isn't a very long list.

For what it's worth, my answer is What Do I Do With My Heart.

My views on the distribution of lead vocals are well known & I'm not going near that subject again.

YoungEaglesFan
06-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Get Over It.

I did not like LROOE at all. I still don't. It isn't even in my iTunes library anymore.

I thought Get Over It should have been on a studio album and been played more live after the HFO tour was over. It's one of my favorite Eagles songs. Wish there was a studio version of it and I wish there was more live footage of it too.

Totally agree with that. I simply do not get why that song was dropped soon after that tour. It’s a great rocking song.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Well - I'm going to also go with What Do I Do With My Heart.

I don't think that Don and Glenn stopped writing great songs after the Hotel California album. Even though not many of the post-Hotel California became hits, I don't believe that means they weren't great songs. For the record, I consider the following to be 'great' songs ...

The Long Run
King of Hollywood
Get Over It
What Do I Do With My Heart

Of course they had quite a few other songs that I would also consider great, but they had additional co-writers.

BillBailey1976
06-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Get Over It.

the Hell Freezes over album version of Get Over It is a studio version.
All 4 of the new songs are studio versions. The only live songs were the "classic" songs.

BillBailey1976
06-04-2018, 09:02 AM
As far as the last great co-write, I'd have to say The Last Resort or Get Over It.
I didn't realize how mediocre the last several co-writes were.

scottside
06-04-2018, 10:06 AM
the Hell Freezes over album version of Get Over It is a studio version.
All 4 of the new songs are studio versions. The only live songs were the "classic" songs.

There was an import version of "Get Over It" as a single that had both the live and studio versions on it also.

Delilah
06-04-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm not surprised about those statistics on Don and lead vocals. It seems he's always been most interested in singing llead vocals on the songs for which he wrote the majority of the lyrics.

Yes, the song lead distribution got me to thinking that in addition to the “we had Don Henley” justification, maybe Don was able to argue his case for singing those leads b/c he wrote most of the lyrics.

I would probably have to say The Last Resort or The Long Run as being the best. If you put a emphasis on lyrics than it’s the last resort but I think the Long Run is an overall better song. They had some good moments since then but the word great is just a bit too strong.

I almost went with The Long Run, even though it isn’t a favorite of mine. After all, it was a top 10 hit, a concert staple and a statement about themselves and the band. But I couldn’t see putting it up there with songs like One of These Nights or Lyin Eyes which are not just great but are original creations. At any rate, my favorite part of The Long Run is probably the bass, which is a Timothy part.

groupie2686
06-04-2018, 01:37 PM
I would say Busy Being Fabulous...it had a good title, a good story like Lyin' Eyes (although nowhere near as good a song), and good lyrics. I really love What Do I Do With My Heart, but I don't think it falls in the "great" category.

I disagree that they didn't write great songs after Hotel California...apart from BBF, I'd include The Long Run and Get Over It as great songs. Why are we not including Frey/Henley co-writes with other writers? I still count songs like New Kid in Town and Best of My Love, for example, as Frey/Henley co-writes even though they had the assistance of J.D. Souther.

Great idea for a topic, Delilah.

Brooke
06-04-2018, 02:49 PM
I would say Get Over It, too. I love it and wished they would have kept doing it in their shows.

Delilah
06-05-2018, 12:43 PM
I would say Busy Being Fabulous...it had a good title, a good story like Lyin' Eyes (although nowhere near as good a song), and good lyrics. I really love What Do I Do With My Heart, but I don't think it falls in the "great" category.

I disagree that they didn't write great songs after Hotel California...apart from BBF, I'd include The Long Run and Get Over It as great songs. Why are we not including Frey/Henley co-writes with other writers? I still count songs like New Kid in Town and Best of My Love, for example, as Frey/Henley co-writes even though they had the assistance of J.D. Souther.

Great idea for a topic, Delilah.

Thanks, Groupie.

The topic is meant to focus on just the Henley/Frey songwriting partnership. When other songwriters are involved, it’s harder to know just who contributed how much, esp. when the song was initiated by the other songwriter. For example, it’s pretty well-known Jackson Browne began and wrote most of Take It Easy but what about James Dean, a song also begun by Jackson? How much of it did he end up writing? JD Souther began New Kid in Town, Felder began HC, etc. When there’s 4 songwriters, it gets a bit crowded...the partnership gets diluted.

However these Henley/Frey collaborations could be a thread topic as well.

Doolin-Dalton (w/ Souther, Browne)
Out of Control (w/ Tom Nixon)
Certain Kind of Fool (w/ Meisner)
Saturday Night (w/ Meisner, Leadon)
DD/Desperado reprise (w/ Souther, Browne)
On the Border (w/ Leadon)
James Dean (w/ Browne, Souther)
Best of My Love (w/ Souther)
Hollywood Waltz (w/ B Leadon, T Leadon)
Take It to the Limit (w/ Meisner)
Hotel California (w/ Felder)
New Kid in Town (w/ Souther)
Life in the Fast Lane (w/ Walsh)
Victim of Love (w/ Felder, Souther)
I Can’t Tell You Why (w/ Schmit)
Disco Strangler (w/ Felder)
Heartache Tonight (w/ Seger, Souther)
Those Shoes (w/ Felder)
Teenage Jail (w/ Souther)
Sad Cafe (w/ Walsh, Souther)
Long Road Out of Eden (w/ Schmit)
Center of the Universe (w/ Smith)

BillBailey1976
06-06-2018, 07:43 AM
What I gather from this thread, and the most recent list is that while Henley and Frey were a great songwriting team, they really shined, and did their best work when they were part of a bigger group of writers, even if just one more writer. Look at the hits in the list above..wow.

Also I know that the songwriting credits are listed in order of most to least contribution.

For instance "I Can't Tell You Why" is listed with Tim first, because as best I remember the stories, he came to the studio with that song basically done.

scottside
06-06-2018, 09:29 AM
What I gather from this thread, and the most recent list is that while Henley and Frey were a great songwriting team, they really shined, and did their best work when they were part of a bigger group of writers, even if just one more writer. Look at the hits in the list above..wow.

Also I know that the songwriting credits are listed in order of most to least contribution.

For instance "I Can't Tell You Why" is listed with Tim first, because as best I remember the stories, he came to the studio with that song basically done.

Most, if not all, of the Henley/Frey songs were listed this way no matter who had the larger contribution.

BillBailey1976
06-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Most, if not all, of the Henley/Frey songs were listed this way no matter who had the larger contribution.

On the Henley/Frey co-writes, yes, it seems they must have agreed to list it in that order, for some reason, although I just looked and "What Do I Do With My Heart" and "Good Day In Hell", Glenn is listed first, but I know Don Felder talked about it, and on Hell Freezes Over, his name got shuffled behind Henley and Frey's on Hotel California. He talked about his name had always been first, and that the band worked that way. Whoever brought the biggest piece got the first credit.

groupie2686
06-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks, Groupie.

The topic is meant to focus on just the Henley/Frey songwriting partnership. When other songwriters are involved, it’s harder to know just who contributed how much, esp. when the song was initiated by the other songwriter. For example, it’s pretty well-known Jackson Browne began and wrote most of Take It Easy but what about James Dean, a song also begun by Jackson? How much of it did he end up writing? JD Souther began New Kid in Town, Felder began HC, etc. When there’s 4 songwriters, it gets a bit crowded...the partnership gets diluted.

However these Henley/Frey collaborations could be a thread topic as well.

Doolin-Dalton (w/ Souther, Browne)
Out of Control (w/ Tom Nixon)
Certain Kind of Fool (w/ Meisner)
Saturday Night (w/ Meisner, Leadon)
DD/Desperado reprise (w/ Souther, Browne)
On the Border (w/ Leadon)
James Dean (w/ Browne, Souther)
Best of My Love (w/ Souther)
Hollywood Waltz (w/ B Leadon, T Leadon)
Take It to the Limit (w/ Meisner)
Hotel California (w/ Felder)
New Kid in Town (w/ Souther)
Life in the Fast Lane (w/ Walsh)
Victim of Love (w/ Felder, Souther)
I Can’t Tell You Why (w/ Schmit)
Disco Strangler (w/ Felder)
Heartache Tonight (w/ Seger, Souther)
Those Shoes (w/ Felder)
Teenage Jail (w/ Souther)
Sad Cafe (w/ Walsh, Souther)
Long Road Out of Eden (w/ Schmit)
Center of the Universe (w/ Smith)

That would be a good thread topic too, Delilah. Lots of great songs in that list!

I don't know if it was always whoever wrote the most had the first credit, I've seen it listed alphabetically too.

maryc2130
06-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Yes, the song lead distribution got me to thinking that in addition to the “we had Don Henley” justification, maybe Don was able to argue his case for singing those leads b/c he wrote most of the lyrics.

I'd even go a step further and hypothesize that the reason Glenn sings lead on "What Do I Do With My Heart" is that he wrote most of the lyrics. Not only does he get the first writing credit, but the lyrics sounds much more Frey-ish than Henley-ish. (Not trying to make any judgments here; I really like the song.) I wonder if Don wrote he lyrics for the part he sings, as I believe he did for "After the Thrill is Gone".

I almost went with The Long Run, even though it isn’t a favorite of mine. After all, it was a top 10 hit, a concert staple and a statement about themselves and the band. But I couldn’t see putting it up there with songs like One of These Nights or Lyin Eyes which are not just great but are original creations. At any rate, my favorite part of The Long Run is probably the bass, which is a Timothy part.

I almost chose The Long Run, also. I do really like the song, but when I think of the great songs, I think of the ones up to and including The Last Resort. (And some others that were not written solely by Henley and Frey).

BillBailey1976
06-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Here's a Don Felder Quote, that I found on another thread about Hotel California song writing credits originally posted by Sodascouts.

"But I did want to say something about “Hotel California.” When I wrote that song and that track, and we put it on the album, on the original vinyl in 1976, the credits read, “ Hotel California,’ written by Don Felder, Don Henley and Glenn Frey.” And typically when songwriters write together, the person who wrote the most of that song is listed first, the person who wrote the second amount is listed second, and the person who wrote the least is listed third. If you look at the ’76 vinyl, that’s the credits. When we reformed in 1994, and we re-recorded “Hotel California,” which is, as far as I know, the only song recorded twice, by the same band, and has been nominated for Grammys both times. But on those credits, after I rearranged the whole track, wrote the introduction, wrote the solos, wrote everything, and Don Henley did nothing different from what he’d done before, and Glenn Frey added nothing to it in ’94, the credits read, “‘Hotel California,’ written by Don Henley, Glenn Frey and Don Felder.”

Delilah
06-07-2018, 01:34 PM

From what I’ve read, this is not how songwriting credits are listed, at least not for the Eagles. It may be the case for other bands. Whoever comes up with the song idea or starts the song gets listed first. E.g. Timothy has said in interviews as well as on stage that he had bits and pieces of song ideas when he first joined the band. Glenn liked one of them and worked out the music while Henley completed the lyrics. The result is I Can’t Tell You Why which doesn’t sound like anything TBS wrote for Poco or his subsequent solo material. He is listed first in the credits b/c he had the initial song idea.

Another example is Saturday Night. Randy is listed first b/c he came up with the song idea (as documented in Rolling Stone). But those lyrics are very Henley-like. I suspect this is one of those times where whatever lyrics Randy had were replaced by Henley’s b/c Henley could “say it better” or whatever justification he and Frey gave for re-writing someone else’s lyrics.

ETA:

Here's a Don Felder Quote, that I found on another thread about Hotel California song writing credits originally posted by Sodascouts.

"But I did want to say something about “Hotel California.” When I wrote that song and that track, and we put it on the album, on the original vinyl in 1976, the credits read, “ Hotel California,’ written by Don Felder, Don Henley and Glenn Frey.” And typically when songwriters write together, the person who wrote the most of that song is listed first, the person who wrote the second amount is listed second, and the person who wrote the least is listed third. If you look at the ’76 vinyl, that’s the credits.

That’s interesting but I’m not sure that was always the case. It sounds like he was talking about songwriting in general.

BillBailey1976
06-07-2018, 01:51 PM
So I guess really, there may not be any hard and fast rules then, but does seem that the Eagles have sorta traveled back and forth with "most content" and "initial idea" in how they determined it.
I like the idea of the "initial idea' getting the most credit, personally. Without Felder there is no Hotel California, no matter how much he contributed percentage wise, just like Walsh and Life in the Fast Lane, or Glenn with Tequilla Sunrise, and so on.

Freypower
06-07-2018, 07:27 PM
From what I’ve read, this is not how songwriting credits are listed, at least not for the Eagles. It may be the case for other bands. Whoever comes up with the song idea or starts the song gets listed first. E.g. Timothy has said in interviews as well as on stage that he had bits and pieces of song ideas when he first joined the band. Glenn liked one of them and worked out the music while Henley completed the lyrics. The result is I Can’t Tell You Why which doesn’t sound like anything TBS wrote for Poco or his subsequent solo material. He is listed first in the credits b/c he had the initial song idea.

Another example is Saturday Night. Randy is listed first b/c he came up with the song idea (as documented in Rolling Stone). But those lyrics are very Henley-like. I suspect this is one of those times where whatever lyrics Randy had were replaced by Henley’s b/c Henley could “say it better” or whatever justification he and Frey gave for re-writing someone else’s lyrics.

ETA:

That’s interesting but I’m not sure that was always the case. It sounds like he was talking about songwriting in general.

The vast majority of Henley-Frey co-writes are listed as 'Henley'-Frey'. If what you say is correct then Henley would have had to have had EVERY SINGLE one of those song ideas. Frankly I doubt that. I suppose I am defending Glenn here but I believe they used 'Henley-Frey' the way the Beatles used 'Lennon-McCartney'.

Freypower
06-07-2018, 07:31 PM

"But I did want to say something about “Hotel California.” When I wrote that song and that track, and we put it on the album, on the original vinyl in 1976, the credits read, “ Hotel California,’ written by Don Felder, Don Henley and Glenn Frey.” And typically when songwriters write together, the person who wrote the most of that song is listed first, the person who wrote the second amount is listed second, and the person who wrote the least is listed third. If you look at the ’76 vinyl, that’s the credits. When we reformed in 1994, and we re-recorded “Hotel California,” which is, as far as I know, the only song recorded twice, by the same band, and has been nominated for Grammys both times. But on those credits, after I rearranged the whole track, wrote the introduction, wrote the solos, wrote everything, and Don Henley did nothing different from what he’d done before, and Glenn Frey added nothing to it in ’94, the credits read, “‘Hotel California,’ written by Don Henley, Glenn Frey and Don Felder.”

I got very tired of Felder & his harping on the HC credit. I just don't believe that Glenn at least didnt have some hand in arranging the new version. That is what he did. Does anyone really believe he sat there & said nothing while Felder told them all what to play? He wouldn't have stood for it. The 'Henley-Frey' part of that credit is exactly the same as every other credit with those names; see my post above. His inference of course is that Frey always wrote the least amount of every song.

MaryCalifornia
06-07-2018, 08:42 PM
The ICTYW credit on HFO is also listed as Henley, Frey, Schmit. I can't think of any reason whatsoever for this, except that perhaps it was a term of the band reuniting. Nothing changed from the Long Run album, where it was listed as Schmit, Henley, Frey. To my knowledge, Timothy has never complained haha.

As far as the HFO version of HC, wasn't Felder "tasked" with coming up with the intro? I sort of believe him in this case. I agree with FP that when it was a case of only Eagles members writing songs, maybe they decided it would always be Henley-Frey, like the Beatles.

YoungEaglesFan
06-07-2018, 08:44 PM

ETA:

I think that’s the case for some of the songs but not all. For certain kind of fool, Randy is listed as the third contributor although I’m quite sure it was his original song idea. He didn’t add the most but the idea of a song about how a boy became an outlaw was his. The same thing for Take It To The Limit, he is listed third. VOL and LITFL are interesting ones because Henley is listed first in both of those but based on what information I’m aware of, Glenn came up with both song titles, and both songs had licks that songs were built off. The lyrics that Don provided were added last yet he was first. I guess there must not be a pattern to the songwriting credits rather, it depends on context of how each song was made

Freypower
06-07-2018, 08:51 PM
The ICTYW credit on HFO is also listed as Henley, Frey, Schmit. I can't think of any reason whatsoever for this, except that perhaps it was a term of the band reuniting. Nothing changed from the Long Run album, where it was listed as Schmit, Henley, Frey. To my knowledge, Timothy has never complained haha.

As far as the HFO version of HC, wasn't Felder "tasked" with coming up with the intro? I sort of believe him in this case. I agree with FP that when it was a case of only Eagles members writing songs, maybe they decided it would always be Henley-Frey, like the Beatles.

I don't have a problem with Felder's new intro story, although as usual he glorifies himself to an absurd degree. I have a problem with his assertion that Glenn did 'nothing' in the rearranged version.

YoungEaglesFan
06-07-2018, 09:08 PM
I don't have a problem with Felder's new intro story, although as usual he glorifies himself to an absurd degree. I have a problem with his assertion that Glenn did 'nothing' in the rearranged version.

I agree. The idea of even doing Hotel California in an acoustic and Latin style couldn’t have been just Felder’s idea. Either Don or Glenn (or both) must have made that decision

maryc2130
06-07-2018, 09:45 PM
I think that’s the case for some of the songs but not all. For certain kind of fool, Randy is listed as the third contributor although I’m quite sure it was his original song idea. He didn’t add the most but the idea of a song about how a boy became an outlaw was his. The same thing for Take It To The Limit, he is listed third. VOL and LITFL are interesting ones because Henley is listed first in both of those but based on what information I’m aware of, Glenn came up with both song titles, and both songs had licks that songs were built off. The lyrics that Don provided were added last yet he was first. I guess there must not be a pattern to the songwriting credits rather, it depends on context of how each song was made

It seems to me that whoever wrote most of the lyrics is credited. Glenn came up with the concept and title for LITFL, and he and Joe probably wrote most of the music, but Henley wrote most of the lyrics. Same with Felder and VOL. And even HC. I'm not saying it was a fair way of deciding, but I think it's what they went with.

Freypower
06-07-2018, 09:50 PM
It seems to me that whoever wrote most of the lyrics is credited. Glenn came up with the concept and title for LITFL, and he and Joe probably wrote most of the music, but Henley wrote most of the lyrics. Same with Felder and VOL. And even HC. I'm not saying it was a fair way of deciding, but I think it's what they went with.

That's OK for Henley's songs but it doesn't hold for Glenn's songs like Lyin' Eyes or Tequila Surnise, unless we are being told that Henley wrote most of the lyrics to those as well.

It just is not as simple as Henley - lyrics & Frey - music. I say again that I think they found the 'Henley-Frey' lable convenient & it isn't that significant. And for whatever reason they kept their two names next to each other regardless of whether they had a co-writer or not.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I don't have a problem with Henley's name being first (it's a bit late that for that) but there has been this assumption for decades that because his name is first he must have written most of the lyrics. As I say, I just don't think it is that simple.

Switepine
06-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Well the BEST Eagles song is “ My Man”! 😊
Glenn and Don are often considered one of the best songwriting duos in popular music. The first song they wrote together, Desperado, is usually ranked at or near the top of the Eagles catalog. What was the last really great song they co-wrote without anyone else receiving credit?

Here is a compiled list:

1. Desperado
2. Tequila Sunrise
3. Good Day in a Hell
4. One of These Nights
5. Lyin Eyes
6. After the Thrill is Gone
7. Wasted Time
8. The Last Resort
9. The Long Run
10. King of Hollywood
11. Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
12. Get Over It
13. Hole in the World
14. Busy Being Fabulous
15. What Do I Do With My Heart
16. Fast Company
17. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture

Out of these 17 tracks, Henley sings lead on 11 and co-lead on 4. I know he took over a lot of the leads as time went on but this is a bit of an eye-opener considering the songwriting credit is split 50-50 on these songs.

Anyway, my choice is The Last Resort. Not that the other songs that followed aren’t good, they just don’t measure up to this one imo.

Thoughts?

Delilah
06-07-2018, 10:14 PM
The vast majority of Henley-Frey co-writes are listed as 'Henley'-Frey'. If what you say is correct then Henley would have had to have had EVERY SINGLE one of those song ideas. Frankly I doubt that. I suppose I am defending Glenn here but I believe they used 'Henley-Frey' the way the Beatles used 'Lennon-McCartney'.

I’m sorry, I was referring to the Henley-Frey songs with an additional co-writer(s). The songs with only Henley-Frey credits were probably listed that way for the sake of convenience and consistency.

https://s33.postimg.cc/xua8t2s4v/EEEDA4_E0-6749-458_A-_AA5_C-85_D22_C3_FC258.jpg

One must be careful about the source of some of these song credits. I’ve seen it listed in the order you describe on Wiki, probably by some fan who didn’t bother to double-check the original credits and assumed Henley and Frey created everything.

Delilah
06-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Also, this re: Take It to the Limit

https://s33.postimg.cc/lseuzb10f/710_A3343-_B1_E4-4599-919_F-29_ADF0_F86196.jpg

These credits get rearranged frequently as well. I know they were for the Very Best of compilation.

New Kid In Town
06-07-2018, 10:25 PM

I remember seeing an interview with Glenn years ago regarding the song writing credit. Glenn stated that when he and Don first began writing, they agreed that all their songs would be listed as "Don Henley/Glenn Frey".

Delilah
06-07-2018, 10:45 PM
I got very tired of Felder & his harping on the HC credit. I just don't believe that Glenn at least didnt have some hand in arranging the new version. That is what he did. Does anyone really believe he sat there & said nothing while Felder told them all what to play? He wouldn't have stood for it. The 'Henley-Frey' part of that credit is exactly the same as every other credit with those names; see my post above. His inference of course is that Frey always wrote the least amount of every song.

I agree. The idea of even doing Hotel California in an acoustic and Latin style couldn’t have been just Felder’s idea. Either Don or Glenn (or both) must have made that decision

Why is it so difficult to accept Felder came up with the new HC arrangement on his own? He had the background, experience and chops to meet the challenge. He was basically ordered by Henley and Frey to come up with a new intro so i would think that Glenn was fine with it. I recently posted a link to a radio interview in his thread where he discusses this.

He was there, we were not and AFAIK, no one who was in the band has refuted his account of events.

Freypower
06-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Why is it so difficult to accept Felder came up with the new HC arrangement on his own? He had the background, experience and chops to meet the challenge. He was basically ordered by Henley and Frey to come up with a new intro so i would think that Glenn was fine with it. I recently posted a link to a radio interview in his thread where he discusses this.

He was there, we were not and AFAIK, no one who was in the band has refuted his account of events.

I am not saying that Glenn wasn't fine with it. What I am objecting to is Felder's claim that Glenn did 'nothing', presumably didn't even say whether he agreed with it, or suggested minor changes, anything. It was Glenn's band & I find it very difficult to believe he was so passive about it. He just was not like that.

As for nobody refuting Felder's version, Felder has made many claims that nobody refuted. That doesn't mean that Felder was always 100% accurate. He liked to over emphasise his own role, often at Glenn's expense. This incident is a perfect example.

YoungEaglesFan
06-07-2018, 11:09 PM
I’m sorry, I was referring to the Henley-Frey songs with an additional co-writer(s). The songs with only Henley-Frey credits were probably listed that way for the sake of convenience and consistency.

https://s33.postimg.cc/xua8t2s4v/EEEDA4_E0-6749-458_A-_AA5_C-85_D22_C3_FC258.jpg

One must be careful about the source of some of these song credits. I’ve seen it listed in the order you describe on Wiki, probably by some fan who didn’t bother to double-check the original credits and assumed Henley and Frey created everything.
I was half expecting that to happen lol. Thanks for the correction

YoungEaglesFan
06-07-2018, 11:15 PM

Well I believe that Don made the entire acoustic intro and some other parts, but I doubt the entire idea and arrangement was his idea and work. I don’t think he has even claimed he did that. For the record I still think he should have been listed first, but I just feel there was some general band input on that. I doubt Felder wouldnt have the authority to make that decision.

BillBailey1976
06-08-2018, 08:07 AM

Well, I think it's been stated a few times that it appears that the Henley-Frey naming was based on something they decided among themselves for their co-writes...and if just 2 people are involved, whatever they agree upon is fine, I'm sure.

It's interesting that when it's multiples (3 or more), Henley and Frey's names are separated sometimes, and not always attached to one another and not in the same order.
Doolin-Dalton (G. Frey-J.D. Souther-D. Henley-J. Browne
On The Border (Henley/Leadon/Frey)
James Dean (J. Browne/G. Frey/J.D. Souther/D. Henley)

So who really knows what determines the order. I thought I did, but at the very least, it's not a hard and fast rule.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-08-2018, 07:04 PM
I remember seeing an interview with Glenn years ago regarding the song writing credit. Glenn stated that when he and Don first began writing, they agreed that all their songs would be listed as "Don Henley/Glenn Frey".

I also remember reading interviews from back in the day where Glenn discussed this. Per an agreement between the two of them, Henley was always listed before Frey simply because they thought Henley/Frey sounded better than Frey/Henley ala Lennon/McCartney. I think the agreement took place after the first few albums though, which may explain some inconsistencies on the earlier albums. With regard to the songwriting credits for other members in the band, I guess it was more subjective as to how they were listed depending on their contributions.

As far as the change in the HC writing credits, Felder has been very inconsistent in telling the story. Just as one example, I believe he says Glenn told him to come up with a new intro in his book, whereas I think he said it was Henley's request in the HOTE documentary. I agree with FP that the change was probably because Felder was not the originator of the new acoustic arrangement or it could have been done in error. We may never know.

BillBailey1976
06-09-2018, 06:38 AM
I was doing a bit of research on songwriting, and there are several ways to determine songwriting splits, and such, but nothing "legal" as far as I could find about name order, so that would be a band decision, or maybe an industry "unspoken rule".
I did read that with the Stones, Keith and Mic split all songwriting 50/50 and the other members are employees entitled to no songwriting credit, even if they did contribute.

I also read that whoever is in the room, gets on the song. They say that's a real popular thing in Nashville, where you have professional songwriters. If there's 3 guys in the room, they all get songwriting credit.

I've heard the phrase "add a word, get a third" used a bit to describe something that happened in the Eagles, and from reading a bit about the legalities of songwriting, that seems to be true.

There was a made up scenario of a songwriting team sitting down to write, and one of the writers' wives was in the room. They were having a hard time with a line, and she suggested a line. They said that because of that, she was in fact a cowriter on the song.

Very interesting tidbits. (I make no assertion that this is absolutely correct, I'm just passing along what I read from seemingly reliable sources)

UndertheWire
06-09-2018, 06:57 AM
It's interesting that when it's multiples (3 or more), Henley and Frey's names are separated sometimes, and not always attached to one another and not in the same order.
Doolin-Dalton (G. Frey-J.D. Souther-D. Henley-J. Browne
On The Border (Henley/Leadon/Frey)
James Dean (J. Browne/G. Frey/J.D. Souther/D. Henley)

So who really knows what determines the order. I thought I did, but at the very least, it's not a hard and fast rule.
I believe Doolin-Dalton and James Dean were started before the Henley-Frey writing team and possibly pre-Eagles and therefore Henley was a late addition.

It really does seem that Henley-Frey was a convention that they agreed upon and doesn't give any indication of who started it. Even the lead vocal isn't a guarantee as it had been said that "Best of My Love" started with Glenn.

I can only think of one Frey-Henley credit and that's "What Do I Do With My Heart" and in that case I take it as an indication that it was primarily Glenn's song. The lyrics and subject are certainly more typical Frey than Henley. Cynically, I wonder if some of the joint credits on LROOE were given because they thought it was important for there to appear to be Henley-Frey songs.