PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

cosec3791
06-18-2018, 12:47 PM
First of all, PLEASE, at least some of you, respond. Please? I made threads like this, only to get no replies.

Anyways, onto the thing itself. So the Eagles LP's celebration is going on (apparently, at least), I feel it is appropriate to make this thread. So tell your favorite versions of the Eagles LP songs! They can be any version, from covers, studio version, live versions, etc. While not absolutely necessary, it will be nicer if you could mention the reasons as to why.

Anyways, here are my favorites:

1. Take It Easy- 1976 Seattle;
Great version! Love the playfulness of Glenn here, and Walsh kills it with the solos! Video too! It just edged out 1980 Santa Monica from Eagles Live for me, 'cos it is fully raw.

2. Witchy Woman- 1976 Houston;
Rawness is great here! While Glenn's intro part was not the greatest, Walsh and Felder, particularly absolutely smashed it! And the performance for the actual song was on point! This is where I feel Steuart lacks. I doubt that he can do what Felder and Walsh do, improvising {of course, based on a certain pattern} and have great tone at the same time. His guitar always sounds restrained.

3. Chug All Night- 1975 Seattle;
Fantastic quality here for '75! And that intro from Felder's Les Paul has so much more bite to it! This is what I miss from Felder not being there! That bite-ey robust sound! I actually don't care about the studio version at all.

4. Most of Us Are Sad- No other version

5. Nightingale- Studio version;
1972 Oklahoma is there, but the quality is just too poor.

6. Train Leaves Here This Morning- 1973 Berkeley;
I am an electric guitar kinda guy (first and foremost). But there is this infectious simplicity of just acoustic guitars in this song. Bernie has this nice soothing deep voice here and the harmonies are stellar. Bernie's guitar solo is simple, yet beautiful.

7. Take the Devil- No other version

8. Earlybird- 1973 ABC TV in Concert (Video version);
Now, you may have seen this on YouTube, and then be like, "WTH it is so bad!" Quality aside, which is admittedly terrible, I feel like this is a great version. Henley's drumming was really good, Frey did better in the slide, though Bernie shined through during the improv Banjo after "Fade away". The faster tempo is nice too.

9. Peaceful Easy Feeling- 1974 Don Kirshner's Rock Concert:
One of the very, very few times I like Leadon better than anyone else on lead guitar. He just does it for me. The added mandolin by Felder is the cherry on top. Though I wonder how it was in the 70's with Felder and Walsh.

10. Tryin'- 1973 Central Park (from VH1 rarities):
Decent rocker, Randy's voice soars here. While the jamming is not as good as 1973 Voorburg, such a great bass solo!

sodascouts
06-18-2018, 01:24 PM
First of all, PLEASE, at least some of you, respond. Please? I made threads like this, only to get no replies.

You have to understand that a lot of people don't even listen to bootlegs, much less compare them.

cosec3791
06-18-2018, 01:42 PM
You have to understand that a lot of people don't even listen to bootlegs, much less compare them.

While I get where you're going at, I am talking about any version. They don't have to be bootlegs.

sodascouts
06-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Peaceful Easy Feeling: the unforgettable HFO Second Night arrangement. Beautiful. Powerful. Absolutely sinful that it was left off HFO.

Freypower
06-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Peaceful Easy Feeling: the unforgettable HFO Second Night arrangement. Beautiful. Powerful. Absolutely sinful that it was left off HFO.

Agreed.

I do have a decent version of Chug All Night from the EOC downloads page. It's from Boston 1974.

And I did like the way they rearranged Witchy Woman for the HOTE tour. But in my view, Take It Easy live was never anywhere near as good as the studio version. While I have heard the Kirshner & BBC versions of some of these songs, I am afraid that I don't prefer them to the studio versions. I no longer listen to bootlegs.

BillBailey1976
06-19-2018, 07:23 AM

Yes, what a shame. in fact, most of the Second Night should have been THE video. Talk about a much better TV special.
Also, Best of My Love from Night 2....I think it must have been the last song cut. It's in the credits at the end.

I like the live Take It Easy in any form over the album version.
I have always liked Glenn's voice better live, especially over the first couple studio albums.
I like it when Glenn has fun with Take It Easy....."make it shake it take it easy"....love that line. so funny.

Also the band has said they are not real happy with the finished product on either of Glyn Johns' albums. So, I think everything live from these albums is better, or at least the ones I've heard.

YoungEaglesFan
06-19-2018, 07:44 AM

I also agree. I love that version so much. Glenn’s voice is perfect and when the harmonies kick in in the second verse it’s glorious

UndertheWire
06-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Can I choose a solo version of an Eagles song? It would be Glenn singing Peaceful Easy Feeling in Boston in 1982 (early show). It's just voice, acoustic guitar and pedal steel guitar and is fairly similar to that HFO second night version but more stripped down. Glenn's slight hoarse but so vulnerable.

This one:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/11/glenn-frey-peaceful-easy-feeling.html

BillBailey1976
06-19-2018, 11:04 AM
I think Glenn sounds much better singing lower, like he does from HFO forward.

cosec3791
06-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Yayy!!! Replies!!

Anyways, I was hoping for all songs, not just one. But I guess it's fine.

Anyways I'll now give my opinions on the individual posts:

1. Soda- interesting version. However, I feel it is not really suiting the electric guitars of Walsh and Felder. I wish it was completely acoustic. Harmonies are great, but I still like Glenn's younger voice. I also just feel like drums are missing.

2. Freypower- Chug All Night from Boston is great. But you gotta hear 75 Seattle. It is a belter. It is there on YouTube, hopefully not blocked. Also great sound there. And as for Witchy Woman during the HOTE tour, really?? I listened to a recording and it is pretty bad (imo). It just doesn't suit the age of them. They clearly struggled sometimes. And Walsh's playing there was not meshing sometimes. I wish Leadon or Frey would have done lead. As for Take It Easy, for me it is the converse. Almost all bootlegs and live versions are better. So much more exuberance there in all aspects.

BillBailey- well, about Get Over, it was not the best in that night. I just feel it is better as a bootleg than an official release, but video would be fantastic. Same here for Take It Easy. I just feel Glyn Johns' records sounded stifling and restrictive. They clearly had more freedom live. I also like that many songs live were all electric.

YoungEaglesFan- Agreed.

Underthewire- Yeah you can! As I said, any version which is your favorite!

Here's hoping you name a few more favorite versions.

thelastresort
06-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Take It Easy was probably best in the MTV concerts for Hell Freezes Over, though it should be illegal to place it mid-set like they did. Special mention for the 1973 BBC version and its wondeful rendition of Silver Dagger beforehand, by an Olympic distance the best a capella they ever did.

Peaceful Easy Feeling I would say was DKRC. Love Felder's mandolin even though Glenn's lead wasn't his best. Leadon was born to play that solo. Again special mention to the F1 rendition with Glenn's added humming (I think) over the solo.

Witchy Woman - Never been a fan at all but the superb HOTE take made it bearable. Also fond of the first c.15 seconds of the BBC 73 version when they sounded like they forgot to tune their guitars or something.

TLHTM - Probably the BBC 73 version.

Earlybird is only bearable with the Foggy Mountain Breakdown segue afterwards.

I do not care enough about Chug All Night, Nightingale or Tryin' to listen to them in any format other than the studio version; nor do I care for audio bootlegs by and large. Two of my favourites from the album Take the Devil and the brilliant Most of Us Are Sad have never been performed live.

cosec3791
06-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Take It Easy was probably best in the MTV concerts for Hell Freezes Over, though it should be illegal to place it mid-set like they did. Special mention for the 1973 BBC version and its wondeful rendition of Silver Dagger beforehand, by an Olympic distance the best a capella they ever did.

Peaceful Easy Feeling I would say was DKRC. Love Felder's mandolin even though Glenn's lead wasn't his best. Leadon was born to play that solo. Again special mention to the F1 rendition with Glenn's added humming (I think) over the solo.

Witchy Woman - Never been a fan at all but the superb HOTE take made it bearable. Also fond of the first c.15 seconds of the BBC 73 version when they sounded like they forgot to tune their guitars or something.

TLHTM - Probably the BBC 73 version.

Earlybird is only bearable with the Foggy Mountain Breakdown segue afterwards.

I do not care enough about Chug All Night, Nightingale or Tryin' to listen to them in any format other than the studio version; nor do I care for audio bootlegs by and large. Two of my favourites from the album Take the Devil and the brilliant Most of Us Are Sad have never been performed live.

Take It Easy was pretty good from HFO. As for BBC 1973, only the intro was something I cared about in that version.

Same here for PEF! Lovely version. Though I don't like the F1 rendition. I didn't like them as much after Felder left tbh.

For Witchy Woman, really?? One of the WORST versions I ever heard. They sounded way too weak. I really felt Walsh's guitar playing was meh that time. Frey or better yet, Leadon should have been lead. TLHTM is wonderful from BBC 73. And same for both of us for Earlybird. Foggy Mountain Breakdown was there in ABC 1973.

Chug All Night is WAY better live! Trust me! Felder adds guitar and it is incredible! But Nightingale and Tryin' are okay. I don't like Most of Us Are Sad or Take the Devil.

New Kid In Town
06-20-2018, 08:57 PM
cosec3791 - I don't own any bootlegs. However, I have seen or heard many on you tube. My favorite regarding the album is Take It Easy at the Capital Center Concert in March 1977. I prefer TIE all electric with Glenn playing his Gibson guitar. I think the all electric version makes the song more energetic and always seemed to get the crowd going.

I have heard the HFO Second Night version of PEF and think it is beautiful. Agree with Soda on this ! It is a sin it was left off the cd. With all the dubbing they are known for, I find it hard to believe they could not fix the little guitar glitz made by Felder. It was hardly noticeable. JMHO.

YoungEaglesFan
06-20-2018, 10:03 PM
cosec3791 - I don't own any bootlegs. However, I have seen or heard many on you tube. My favorite regarding the album is Take It Easy at the Capital Center Concert in March 1977. I prefer TIE all electric with Glenn playing his Gibson guitar. I think the all electric version makes the song more energetic and always seemed to get the crowd going.

I have heard the HFO Second Night version of PEF and think it is beautiful. Agree with Soda on this ! It is a sin it was left off the cd. With all the dubbing they are known for, I find it hard to believe they could not fix the little guitar glitz made by Felder. It was hardly noticeable. JMHO.

Totally agree about the PEF. I love TIE at the Capital centre as well. Although all the performances are standouts in that concert, that one was arguably the best. The energy and vibe they give off in that is fantastic

Dawn
06-20-2018, 11:58 PM
This is all really interesting, just want to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts I definitely enjoy the feedback.

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 11:53 AM
My favorite version of Earlybird is from ABC 1973. Everybody is on point and seems to be really into it throughout... maybe partially because this was so early in their careers and they really wanted to put their best foot forward.

It has that great banjo solo at the end as they always did at the end live, but even more so, in this version, they have great energy from the crowd they feed off it. I mean the whole crowd, who is sitting because it's a TV audience, jumps to their feet clapping along at 3:08 two-thirds through the song as Bernie breaks it down and they just keep it up for the rest of the song.

So.. I'm going to do something scandalous... and link to YouTube to show you what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGKWwT6aTo

cosec3791
06-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Tbh, there is not too many on the Tube. All them copyright companies taking it away.

Capital Center. Ugh. But I also do like all electric.

I do feel the singing was on point, but I feel the electric guitars are more suited for a non quasi acoustic version, than this. But I love the addition of guitars and harmonies later on. And about overdubbing, that's why I don't like Capital Center. Such a shady affair once you analyze.

cosec3791
06-21-2018, 12:34 PM
My favorite version of Earlybird is from ABC 1973. Everybody is on point and seems to be really into it throughout... maybe partially because this was so early in their careers and they really wanted to put their best foot forward.

It has that great banjo solo at the end as they always did at the end live, but even more so, in this version, they have great energy from the crowd they feed off it. I mean the whole crowd, who is sitting because it's a TV audience, jumps to their feet clapping along at 3:08 two-thirds through the song as Bernie breaks it down and they just keep it up for the rest of the song.

So.. I'm going to do something scandalous... and link to YouTube to show you what I mean.

My favorite version of Earlybird! Surprised to see people like this version in spite of the quality. Also come on! More songs. I really especially want your opinions, as you are very experienced.

cosec3791
06-21-2018, 12:38 PM
This is all really interesting, just want to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts I definitely enjoy the feedback.

Waitin' for yours!

cosec3791
06-21-2018, 12:43 PM
I think Glenn sounds much better singing lower, like he does from HFO forward.

I disagree there. For me, his younger voice sounded better to me.

thelastresort
06-21-2018, 01:48 PM
For Witchy Woman, really?? One of the WORST versions I ever heard.

Yes, hence I said it. Never cared for Witchy Woman, not a single thing about it another Eagles song doesn't do a million times better. At least the HOTE is stripped back and has some good vocal harmony sections.

Delilah
06-21-2018, 04:16 PM

Thanks for this Soda! It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this one. Glenn is wearing another colorful shirt with character, lol.

These are my favorite versions although they are subject to change.

1. Take a It Easy - the studio version. There are some great live versions I love, particularly the 1974 Cal Jam and the 1977 Capitol Centre ones but the original LP one has that double-time banjo that they never did duplicate live.

2. Witchy Woman - 1976 Houston...even with Glenn’s flubbing the beginning guitar part, this arrangement rocks! I do miss hearing some of the bass flourishes that are on the album though. I don’t mind the HOTE/current version but I do think it’s not near as good as the ‘76 one.

3. Chug All Night - any live version is better than the LP one. They used the song to rock out at concerts. My favorite is probably 1974 Boston b/c Felder’s guitar adds real kick. I also like Henley’s drumming.

4. Most of Us Are Sad - album version works for me (not that there are other options).

5. Nightingale - I don’t have this one but I remember listening to a live version on YT; 1976 Nagoya maybe? At any rate I prefer the studio album. Great backing vocals on that one.

YoungEaglesFan
06-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the video soda. I love the energy of the crowd and the band in that video. I’ve never seen that one before

Delilah
06-21-2018, 04:35 PM
Favorites cont.

6. Train Leaves Here This Morning - 1973 BBC. The vocals are sweet and clear hear. And Bernie’s guitar is lovely.

7. Take the Devil - I love this song! While it’s unfortunate there is no live version, I don’t know if they could have captured the haunting desert mood of this live.

8. Earlybird - I’m sold on the 1973 ABC performance. Any live version that cuts down on the bird chirping is good with me.

9. Peaceful Easy Feeling - I go with the album version here. It’s so classic, though I really like Bernie’s b-bender work at the 1973 BBC Concert.

10. Tryin - like Chug All Night, this works better live. My fave is probably 1973 Berkeley though the 1974 Providence is good too. But the audio quality is weak.

New Kid In Town
06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
WOW - Thank You Soda ! I have never seen that video before. Bernie is amazing on the banjo and Glenn was sure playing a mean slide guitar. I tend to forget what a nice voice Bernie had. Was this one of those Midnight Specials that used to be on ABC back then ?

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Thanks for this Soda! It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this one. Glenn is wearing another colorful shirt with character, lol.

Yes! I only wish the video were clearer so we could see that shirt a little better!

WOW - Thank You Soda ! I have never seen that video before. Bernie is amazing on the banjo and Glenn was sure playing a mean slide guitar. I tend to forget what a nice voice Bernie had. Was this one of those Midnight Specials that used to be on ABC back then ?

It was a series called In Concert. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Concert_(TV_series)

cosec3791
06-22-2018, 03:01 AM
Yes, hence I said it. Never cared for Witchy Woman, not a single thing about it another Eagles song doesn't do a million times better. At least the HOTE is stripped back and has some good vocal harmony sections.

Errr, I think you misinterpreted what I said, I said that the HOTE version sucks, and particularly harmonies lol. I actually like Witchy Woman!

cosec3791
06-22-2018, 04:07 AM

These are my favorite versions although they are subject to change.

1. Take a It Easy - the studio version. There are some great live versions I love, particularly the 1974 Cal Jam and the 1977 Capitol Centre ones but the original LP one has that double-time banjo that they never did duplicate live.

2. Witchy Woman - 1976 Houston...even with Glenn’s flubbing the beginning guitar part, this arrangement rocks! I do miss hearing some of the bass flourishes that are on the album though. I don’t mind the HOTE/current version but I do think it’s not near as good as the ‘76 one.

3. Chug All Night - any live version is better than the LP one. They used the song to rock out at concerts. My favorite is probably 1974 Boston b/c Felder’s guitar adds real kick. I also like Henley’s drumming.

4. Most of Us Are Sad - album version works for me (not that there are other options).

5. Nightingale - I don’t have this one but I remember listening to a live version on YT; 1976 Nagoya maybe? At any rate I prefer the studio album. Great backing vocals on that one.

Yay! Finally someone choosing the format I did! Thanks Delilah!

Anyways, my opinions on your versions:

1. Take It Easy- the studio version is one of my least favorites, and that banjo is not really my cup of tea. I guess they completely omitted the banjo because they wanted to show themselves as a rock band.

2. Agree with Witchy Woman. Apart from Glenn, such a great version! Except that I mind the HOTE version. A lot. As for studio, well here's the thing: the first version I ever listened to of this song is 1976 Houston, so the studio version felt empty to me on my first listen.

3. Chug All Night was pretty good live, but I feel 1975 Seattle has the best Felder guitar parts for this song. He spices up the very first parts of the riff.

4. Nightingale only has 1972 Oklahoma. No other version is there. And they never performed this without Bernie

cosec3791
06-22-2018, 04:26 AM
Favorites cont.

6. Train Leaves Here This Morning - 1973 BBC. The vocals are sweet and clear hear. And Bernie’s guitar is lovely.

7. Take the Devil - I love this song! While it’s unfortunate there is no live version, I don’t know if they could have captured the haunting desert mood of this live.

8. Earlybird - I’m sold on the 1973 ABC performance. Any live version that cuts down on the bird chirping is good with me.

9. Peaceful Easy Feeling - I go with the album version here. It’s so classic, though I really like Bernie’s b-bender work at the 1973 BBC Concert.

10. Tryin - like Chug All Night, this works better live. My fave is probably 1973 Berkeley though the 1974 Providence is good too. But the audio quality is weak.

TLHTM- Almost everyone agrees on this one!

Earlybird- Same here. Almost everyone agrees on this one.

For PEF, interesting.

And for Tryin' I got to hear those versions. As for 1974 Providence, there is a higher quality Providence recording from May 20th. Dk if it will be as good as May 4th.

scottside
06-22-2018, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=cosec3791;377812]Yay! Finally someone choosing the format I did! Thanks Delilah!

1. Take It Easy- the studio version is one of my least favorites, and that banjo is not really my cup of tea. I guess they completely omitted the banjo because they wanted to show themselves as a rock band.

They omitted the banjo because Bernie couldn't very well play banjo and lead guitar at the same time. Even when Felder joined, Bernie always played lead on this song until he left.

cosec3791
06-22-2018, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=cosec3791;377812]Yay! Finally someone choosing the format I did! Thanks Delilah!

They omitted the banjo because Bernie couldn't very well play banjo and lead guitar at the same time. Even when Felder joined, Bernie always played lead on this song until he left.

Oh yeah! What I gave was quite a stupid reason! Sorry Delilah and Scottside. Also, didn't you see my question about your bootlegs from the '70s?

scottside
06-22-2018, 02:19 PM
[quote=scottside;377822]

Oh yeah! What I gave was quite a stupid reason! Sorry Delilah and Scottside. Also, didn't you see my question about your bootlegs from the '70s?

Sorry, I missed this from a previous post. I own a number of bootlegs from the 70s, but because the sound quality is so substandard on most, if not all, of them, I find it difficult to analyze performances against the much better recorded studio versions. For that reason, the versions that I might find as good as the original versions are mostly from legitimate live albums where you can hear all the instruments and vocals well. These mostly mono-sounding audience recordings, while maybe historically significant, are not all that enjoyable of a listen for me. I love the version of "Take It Easy" from the LIVE set because it's got more of a kick than the studio version. I also really like the California Jam version because it's got great sound and the four Eagles really rocked it out, even without Felder.

If some of these bootlegs could've had the quality of those that are circulating nowadays, I'd probably be much more inclined to listen to and enjoy them.

cosec3791
06-22-2018, 02:23 PM
[quote=cosec3791;377828]

Sorry, I missed this from a previous post. I own a number of bootlegs from the 70s, but because the sound quality is so substandard on most, if not all, of them, I find it difficult to analyze performances against the much better recorded studio versions. For that reason, the versions that I might find as good as the original versions are mostly from legitimate live albums where you can hear all the instruments and vocals well. These mostly mono-sounding audience recordings, while maybe historically significant, are not all that enjoyable of a listen for me. I love the version of "Take It Easy" from the LIVE set because it's got more of a kick than the studio version. I also really like the California Jam version because it's got great sound and the four Eagles really rocked it out, even without Felder.

If some of these bootlegs could've had the quality of those that are circulating nowadays, I'd probably be much more inclined to listen to and enjoy them.

Fine. But what I wanted was a list of your bootlegs.

Scarlet Sun
06-22-2018, 02:58 PM

I wonder when Felder learned to play the banjo. I've thought he could have played it on Take It Easy

scottside
06-22-2018, 03:07 PM
I wonder when Felder learned to play the banjo. I've thought he could have played it on Take It Easy

I'm not 100% sure of this, but Felder played it during the 1976 tour on "Midnight Flyer." Bernie was gone by then and Walsh had just joined and took over the slide part and Glenn switched to acoustic. Felder wasn't a virtuoso, but he handled the part well enough. Maybe he had just learned it because there really wasn't much of a need before then.

New Kid In Town
06-22-2018, 03:35 PM
I'm not 100% sure of this, but Felder played it during the 1976 tour on "Midnight Flyer." Bernie was gone by then and Walsh had just joined and took over the slide part and Glenn switched to acoustic. Felder wasn't a virtuoso, but he handled the part well enough. Maybe he had just learned it because there really wasn't much of a need before then.

I believe I read somewhere that Bernie had taught Felder how to play the banjo. Not sure of this though. I do kinda remember a mention in Fleder's book about having to learn the banjo. Not if this was before or after Bernie left.

thelastresort
06-22-2018, 04:56 PM
I got the impression Felder knew how to play Midnight Flyer on banjo, rather than how to play banjo per se, I suspect the same is also true by and large for his bits on the mandolin. That said mind, I wouldn't put it past him to claim it was he who taught Bernie how to play both ;)

Errr, I think you misinterpreted what I said, I said that the HOTE version sucks, and particularly harmonies lol. I actually like Witchy Woman!

I do not believe I did. You made clear your opinions on it, I merely expressed why I hold the HOTE in higher regard than the original (not that that would take much) in reaction to your rebuke of it, namely that I like the harmonies and dislike the original!

YoungEaglesFan
06-22-2018, 05:57 PM

Well he knew pedal steel and I believe mandolin when he toured with David blue and Crosby and Nash. I’m not sure if he also picked up banjo then but I’m sure he would have by the time Bernie left

YoungEaglesFan
06-22-2018, 06:00 PM
I got the impression Felder knew how to play Midnight Flyer on banjo, rather than how to play banjo per se, I suspect the same is also true by and large for his bits on the mandolin. That said mind, I wouldn't put it past him to claim it was he who taught Bernie how to play both ;)

I do not believe I did. You made clear your opinions on it, I merely expressed why I hold the HOTE in higher regard than the original (not that that would take much) in reaction to your rebuke of it, namely that I like the harmonies and dislike the original!

Well I think for someone like Felder who is such a master on guitar, learning other stringed insturments is a lot easier. He gets the concepts behind it and the way they are played is almost exactly the same as the guitar. So it would just be a matter of learning the differences of some chord shapes and learning what frets play what notes etc.

Scarlet Sun
06-22-2018, 06:08 PM
Well he knew pedal steel and I believe mandolin

I believe it was lap steel and mandolin. But sorry to derail

YoungEaglesFan
06-22-2018, 06:13 PM
I believe it was lap steel and mandolin. But sorry to derail

No worries.

thelastresort
06-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Well I think for someone like Felder who is such a master on guitar, learning other stringed insturments is a lot easier. He gets the concepts behind it and the way they are played is almost exactly the same as the guitar. So it would just be a matter of learning the differences of some chord shapes and learning what frets play what notes etc.

Possibly, but don't forget you also get incredibly proficient guitarists like Joe, who I believe struggles with some smaller stringed instruments! I suppose I meant it more from the angle that it was a forced learning process for Felder - I can't imagine he was a free-flowing on it as he was with his guitar, more that he just knew what to do.

Now that someone has mentioned it, I do recall Felder saying in his autobiography that he learnt mandolin on the quick to secure one of his pre-Eagles gigs.

YoungEaglesFan
06-22-2018, 11:04 PM
Possibly, but don't forget you also get incredibly proficient guitarists like Joe, who I believe struggles with some smaller stringed instruments! I suppose I meant it more from the angle that it was a forced learning process for Felder - I can't imagine he was a free-flowing on it as he was with his guitar, more that he just knew what to do.

Now that someone has mentioned it, I do recall Felder saying in his autobiography that he learnt mandolin on the quick to secure one of his pre-Eagles gigs.

Oh totally, he wouldn’t be free flowing and wouldn’t really be great free style for a while. But I’m sure he could pick up parts on it pretty fast.

cosec3791
07-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Interesting points all! But however, I'll admit, I'm kinda bummed that it went SO off topic. Hopefully at least a few more will post their favorites before this thread becomes absolutely dead.