PDA

View Full Version : They write me letters......the variations

BillBailey1976
06-20-2018, 02:59 PM
In the survivor thread there was a brief mention of one of Joe's alternate lines in Life's Been Good..so I took a few minutes listen through several different versions...and below are a few of the variations that I found.

Original
"they write me letters, tell me I'm great"

Variations
"they write Tim letters, tell Glenn Don's great"
"they write Glenn letters, tell him he's great"
"they write Glenn letters, tell Don that Timothy's great"
"they write me letters, tell me I'm overweight"
"they write me letters, tell me .......(just music)"
"they write me letters, tell me Glenn's great"
"they write me emails, tell me Glenn's great"
"they send me emails, tell me Glenn's great"
"they write Glenn emails, tell him he's great"
"they write me emails, tell me Vince is great"

There are probably more, but that's searching through probably 15-20 "unofficial" recordings as well as live albums and videos.

A couple of other tid-bits...his Mazarati changes speeds few times...185, to 1085, to a huge jumble of numbers..

in the limo at least one he rides in the trunk, in case he gets drunk
once rides in the back, and watches the war from Iraq
a few times, rides in the back, locks the doors and eats his big mac.
one rather bizarre one says "...I ride in the back, I lock the doors and RIDE IN THE BACK"

Glennsallnighter
06-20-2018, 04:28 PM
In Liverpool in 2014 he sang ‘they write me emails tell Glenn Dons great’. It caught poor Glenn on the hop

WalshFan88
06-20-2018, 06:18 PM
When I saw them in LROOE Joe sang "I got a limo, ride in the back, go to White Castle and pick up a sack".

Freypower
06-20-2018, 08:04 PM
The last variation on 'they write me letters 'BB listed doesn't count. :tonguewag:
Oh, OK, then, IN MY OPINION it doesn't count.

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Yeah (foolishly) that possible variation had never occurred to me and it was like a sucker punch.... but let's not go there!

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 11:45 AM
When I saw them in LROOE Joe sang "I got a limo, ride in the back, go to White Castle and pick up a sack".

LOL!

BillBailey1976
06-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Yeah (foolishly) that possible variation had never occurred to me and it was like a sucker punch.... but let's not go there!

I meant no offense or anything by that. I was just going through concerts and figured I would be complete with what I had.

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 12:19 PM
I meant no offense or anything by that. I was just going through concerts and figured I would be complete with what I had.

I understand.

DrRyan454
09-29-2018, 12:11 AM
In Liverpool in 2014 he sang ‘they write me emails tell Glenn Dons great’. It caught poor Glenn on the hop

I've also heard "they write me emails, tell them they're great!"

Here's an elaboration on Life's Been Good by Joe Walsh in 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIzyTk1fuf0

drummerboy08
12-19-2018, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=BillBailey1976;377681]

Variations

Do you remember the recording or bootleg this line was from?

sodascouts
12-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Variations

Do you remember the recording or bootleg this line was from?

I don't know about BillBailey1976, but I'm afraid I can't remember. You can try private messaging him in case he doesn't see this post.

I loved the way Joe updated this to "they write me e-mails" over the years. Gettin' with the times!

Ive always been a dreamer
12-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Yep and in keeping with the times, by now, Joe should be singing "they send me texts ...". I wonder if he's ever done that yet?

Brooke
12-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Yep and in keeping with the times, by now, Joe should be singing "they send me texts ...". I wonder if he's ever done that yet?

Or "tweets" or whatever you call them! :lol:

sodascouts
12-21-2018, 09:40 PM
The social media connection is this generation's true replacement for the fan letter. Joe's on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. He could do one for each.

"They post on Facebook, tell me I'm great."

"They instagram me, tell me I'm great."

"They go on Twitter, tweet me I'm great."