PDA

View Full Version : What songs would you have liked to see the Eagles cover

YoungEaglesFan
06-21-2018, 10:41 PM
With the band recently covering locally based songs on the tour, it made me wonder what songs you would have liked to see them record or even just played live. Are there certain bands you would have liked to see them emulate? Personally I would have been intrigued if they did some Fleetwood Mac materia ( I know that they don’t have any female singers but with Randy’s vocal range they could kinda pull some of that stuff off). I tried looking for another thread for this but couldn’t find one. If it needs to be moved then I apologize in advance

cosec3791
06-22-2018, 02:58 AM
Not possible now, but anyways, you may have known that Elton John performed with them a few times right? In those performances, I wish they would have covered Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. With the brilliance of piano from Elton, and maybe some electric guitar magic from Walsh and Felder, it would have been awesome!

BillBailey1976
06-22-2018, 06:06 AM
With the band recently covering locally based songs on the tour, it made me wonder what songs you would have liked to see them record or even just played live. Are there certain bands you would have liked to see them emulate? Personally I would have been intrigued if they did some Fleetwood Mac materia ( I know that they don’t have any female singers but with Randy’s vocal range they could kinda pull some of that stuff off). I tried looking for another thread for this but couldn’t find one. If it needs to be moved then I apologize in advance

What songs have they been covering on tour?

cosec3791
06-22-2018, 06:09 AM

Idk much about this. I think they covered Tulsa Time, when they were at Tulsa, OK.

CAinOH
06-22-2018, 10:52 AM

According to Shun, they did Fats Domino's Walking to New Orleans Wednesday night (in NOLA).

groupie2686
06-22-2018, 01:41 PM
I somehow don't think Glenn would have agreed to them covering other songs...(I suppose if he had, they would have done it before). They could have pulled off covers of CSN&Y though.

My My
06-22-2018, 03:56 PM
They did cover "Sea Cruise" during The Long Run Tour, at least in Indianapolis in June 1980.

YoungEaglesFan
06-22-2018, 04:08 PM
I somehow don't think Glenn would have agreed to them covering other songs...(I suppose if he had, they would have done it before). They could have pulled off covers of CSN&Y though.

Well they did some, like outlaw man, ol’55, and Midnight flyer. And they did some on LROOE. But this is more just hypothetical than anything else

Delilah
06-22-2018, 04:13 PM
They covered Chuck Berry’s “Oh Carol” in their live shows around ‘76-‘79 I believe.

CAinOH
06-22-2018, 04:14 PM
They did cover "Sea Cruise" during The Long Run Tour, at least in Indianapolis in June 1980.

Well they did some, like outlaw man, ol’55, and Midnight flyer. And they did some on LROOE. But this is more just hypothetical than anything else

But those songs were on Eagles albums ("Sea Cruise" was on a Glenn Frey album). I think this discussion is about not-previously-covered songs. (I may be wrong, not the first time.)

Freypower
06-22-2018, 07:14 PM

When a couple of us saw Glenn in Niagara Falls in 2012, one of the huge surprises of a surprise full night was On The Way Home by Buffalo Springfield. He said he was trying to persuade his bandmates to do a couple of covers by artists who had influenced them. He failed; it never happened.

I'm afraid for me it's too late to wonder which songs they could have done in their real careerr. People who like the faux Eagles are probably delighted to have heard Tulsa Time & Walking To New Orleans.

Freypower
06-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Not possible now, but anyways, you may have known that Elton John performed with them a few times right? In those performances, I wish they would have covered Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. With the brilliance of piano from Elton, and maybe some electric guitar magic from Walsh and Felder, it would have been awesome!

Uh... who would have sung it? That song is one of a kind.

ETA: I found the original thread we have on this topic.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5638

cosec3791
06-23-2018, 02:24 AM

Yeah. They did that a few times as part of the encore. They also did it in Santa Monica 1980 and Long Beach 1980

cosec3791
06-23-2018, 02:25 AM
They covered Chuck Berry’s “Oh Carol” in their live shows around ‘76-‘79 I believe.

Also in 1975 and 1980 they did. Seattle 1975 has that song. The Forum 1980 soundboard version has an incomplete version.

cosec3791
06-23-2018, 02:26 AM
But those songs were on Eagles albums ("Sea Cruise" was on a Glenn Frey album). I think this discussion is about not-previously-covered songs. (I may be wrong, not the first time.)

About Sea Cruise, the situation is kind of like One Day at a Time, where Glenn did the song with the Eagles before covering it solo.

cosec3791
06-23-2018, 02:28 AM
Uh... who would have sung it? That song is one of a kind.

ETA: I found the original thread we have on this topic.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5638

Well, I was meaning Elton John to sing it in that hypothetical situation. The band would have provided the music and harmonies. And also, they did Carol with Elton a few times.

BillBailey1976
06-23-2018, 08:07 AM
The bad thing about covers, especially from a group who is well known for writing their own stuff, is that often the covers don't sound right.
I think Sea Cruise sounds atrocious. It is totally not an Eagles style song.

One song I think the Eagles could have covered and sounded like their own would have been "Two out of Three ain't bad" by Meatloaf. I know Meatloaf said that it sounded like an Eagles song, and they were popular when he did that song, so he thought people would like it.

BillBailey1976
06-23-2018, 08:08 AM
When a couple of us saw Glenn in Niagara Falls in 2012, one of the huge surprises of a surprise full night was On The Way Home by Buffalo Springfield. He said he was trying to persuade his bandmates to do a couple of covers by artists who had influenced them. He failed; it never happened.

I'm afraid for me it's too late to wonder which songs they could have done in their real careerr. People who like the faux Eagles are probably delighted to have heard Tulsa Time & Walking To New Orleans.

Wasn't there even a rumour that Glenn had wanted to do an Eagles album of covers from influences?

My My
06-23-2018, 08:35 AM

It was on a Glenn Frey album later, but not when they covered it in the 1980.

Out of Control
06-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Wasn't there even a rumour that Glenn had wanted to do an Eagles album of covers from influences?

I thought he wanted to do at least an EP with some covers and some new songs.

Freypower
06-23-2018, 08:26 PM
I thought he wanted to do at least an EP with some covers and some new songs.

See my post about the Niagara Falls shows above. I believe he wanted to do an EP. His version of On The Way Home was awesome, by the way.

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad? Uh... NO. Far too melodramatic & over the top.

thelastresort
06-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad? Uh... NO. Far too melodramatic & over the top.

Isn't that a given with Meatloaf?! ;)

Freypower
06-24-2018, 09:04 PM
Isn't that a given with Meatloaf?! ;)

Of course. But totally inappropriate for the Eagles.

Dawn
06-25-2018, 01:18 AM
I think covering some of JJ Cale's songs could have been interesting. Like Magnolia. Just not sure who would be best on lead. Or After Midnight.

scottside
06-25-2018, 08:28 AM
I think covering some of JJ Cale's songs could have been interesting. Like Magnolia. Just not sure who would be best on lead. Or After Midnight.

Poco did a fantastic job of "Magnolia" on their CRAZY EYES album. I haven't listened to it in awhile, but I think Paul Cotton sings it. If the Eagles had done it, I think either Don or Glenn would've done it perfectly.

peneumbra
06-29-2018, 07:26 PM
Well, there was that acapella take on "Pappa Was A Rolling Stone," which would've been great if they'd done the whole Temptations trip with the suits and the matching steps - what an encore that would've been.

And I heard Frey casually working by himself on "Chesnut Mare," the great Roger McGuinn song, and also "Return Of The Grievous Angel," by Gram Parsons. No big deal - it was just him sitting in a corner of the studio with an acoustic guitar, with Leadon stopping by on occasion to listen.:angel:

Freypower
06-29-2018, 07:41 PM
Well, there was that acapella take on "Pappa Was A Rolling Stone," which would've been great if they'd done the whole Temptations trip with the suits and the matching steps - what an encore that would've been.

And I heard Frey casually working by himself on "Chesnut Mare," the great Roger McGuinn song, and also "Return Of The Grievous Angel," by Gram Parsons. No big deal - it was just him sitting in a corner of the studio with an acoustic guitar, with Leadon stopping by on occasion to listen.:angel:

Oh wow. I love Return Of The Grievous Angel. Just thinking of Glenn singing ''twenty thousand roads I went down, down, down....' how lucky for you?

As for Chestnut Mare while I think the song is a bit corny, I saw McGuinn play it about ten years ago at a small Sydney club called The Basement which has now closed. It was the only show I ever saw there.

But Papa, great though it is, is not for a band like the Eagles, harmonies or not. Someone suggested that before & I cringed at the thought of it.